Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,088 members, 7,887,168 topics. Date: Thursday, 11 July 2024 at 11:20 PM

This Annoying Thing About Nigerian Comedians - Celebrities (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / This Annoying Thing About Nigerian Comedians (35550 Views)

Wives Of Nigerian Comedians In A Group Picture / Wives Of Nigerian Comedians; Who Is The Most Beautiful Amongst Them? / Nigerian Comedians Lack Creativity – Basketmouth (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: This Annoying Thing About Nigerian Comedians by nickz(m): 8:08pm On Dec 03, 2014
dani1luv:
Simply the Truth..

Though 'I Go Dye" is still eff hilarious. .
went to one of his shows with elenu also months ago............nearly died
never had that kinda laugh for years........the nigga is just tops

AY on the other hand is only exceptional in comedy skits
Basketmouth can talk for hours...only few interesting stuffs

but i go die,elenu and funnybone........are out of this worldgrin

1 Like

Re: This Annoying Thing About Nigerian Comedians by 1stola: 8:10pm On Dec 03, 2014
Sweetlemon:
I just watched a hilarious edition of EL R8D on ebony life TV courtesy of EmmaohmyGod and Chigurl. There's this bitter after taste in my mouth because I realized that their sense of humour will most likely die a mysterious death when they become A-list stars. Why are our comedians like this?

I attended a wedding where Bovi was the MC. This was before he became popular. My goodness! We almost died of laughter! He presented us oven fresh jokes in the most unique manner. In fact, he was just something else. He soon became popular and even though he's still funny, (in fact, he's the only A-list star comedian that is still funny, and maybe AY) I have not enjoyed him the way I enjoyed before he became famous.

I have attended weddings/events with AY and basket mouth as MCs and I don't remember laughing even once. Maybe a smile here and there but no full blown laughter. AY is only funny in his shows, outside that, he's just there. But you won't believe it's the same guys that nearly cracked you to death during their hustling days. Even Julius Agwu is nothing to write home about at events. All they do now is charge outrageous fees just to show us their designer suits. Huh? Smh.

American comedians like Kevin Hart, Arsenio Hall, Jerry Seinfeld, Chris Rock, Robin Williams (RIP) still make us laugh hysterically. So why are our stars forming like this? Could it be the psychological effect of too must hustling? Whatever, someone should tell these guys that this really not a good way of going international.
Did you say AY is funny?
See hypocrisy.
Paid writeup for AY
no offence, AY is not funny.

3 Likes

Re: This Annoying Thing About Nigerian Comedians by DAVE5(m): 8:10pm On Dec 03, 2014
Sharon6:
OP. I just want you to know it gets to a stage in life that just your name and anything associated with you sells. Don't we all struggle to get to the top? When you get to the top you relax bro. This doesn't happen with just the comedian, it happen everywhere, football, offices even between the thugs/touts. You don see MC Olu-omo dey break bottle/engage in fighting now? Didn't he do all those before getting to the top.?

CHECK MY SIGNATURE!!!

i guess you would admit that the likes of kevin hart and chris rock are still funny till tomorrow, why have they not changed and become boring or haven't they made money from comedy as well, as concerning Mc olu omo, there are some bad characters you have to drop when you become a public figure and that's what hapind to him, needless i say that basket and most naija comedians (julius agwu fall my hand the most with his boringness) have become distasteful when it comes to entertaining us

1 Like

Re: This Annoying Thing About Nigerian Comedians by Nobody: 8:10pm On Dec 03, 2014
holatin:
what
you say bovi the only A+ dat still make sense and AY.
Ay no funny at all, he only has concept.
If he no look like basket mouth, he no fit be like basket mouth
best comedian after Mr beans.
You technically stole this words out of my mouth.
Re: This Annoying Thing About Nigerian Comedians by UnknownT: 8:11pm On Dec 03, 2014
Op, u need to come to PH, tune in to Silverbird PH or RSTV and hear dry jokes. From Prince Hezekiah to Castro d comedian, rugged pastor, mc benbillo, mc mor mor. Jesus Christ have mercy on us, and to think that all the names i mentioned are upcoming comedians. A set of very dry and humorless individuals
Re: This Annoying Thing About Nigerian Comedians by DAVE5(m): 8:11pm On Dec 03, 2014
1stola:

Did you say AY is funny?
See hypocrisy.
Paid writeup for AY

ay is crap, i still try hard 2 laff wen d guy dey talk

4 Likes

Re: This Annoying Thing About Nigerian Comedians by LeoFish92(m): 8:12pm On Dec 03, 2014
I just finished watching some episodes from bovi's extended family TV series,( before he became a celebrity)that guy has the raw talent, he's naturally funny and creative, there's a big deference between being a stand up comedian and being naturally funny, anybody can do comedy, all it takes is to think of jokes and tell them as super story, but when it comes to the act of being an MC, that is when that natural talent comes to play because one has to use what's going on in the occasion to create rib cracking jokes,for me bovi is the man of the moment

3 Likes

Re: This Annoying Thing About Nigerian Comedians by chrisnap(m): 8:13pm On Dec 03, 2014
the only problem we hav is dat we dnt want to encourage d up comin comedians,,the make betta sense dan the already arived comedians
Re: This Annoying Thing About Nigerian Comedians by Sweetlemon(f): 8:14pm On Dec 03, 2014
1stola:

Did you say AY is funny?
See hypocrisy.
Paid writeup for AY

I don't think you read well.
Re: This Annoying Thing About Nigerian Comedians by holatin(m): 8:14pm On Dec 03, 2014
Danrizzle:
You technically stole this words out of my mouth.
lol
Re: This Annoying Thing About Nigerian Comedians by plendil: 8:15pm On Dec 03, 2014
The problem, I believe, with comedy is that it requires constant originality. Unlike the music industry where one can listen to a song over and over again without getting bored, once I've heard a joke once--possible twice for a very good one--its very unlikely such a joke will elicit any laughter from me.

This of course means comedians unlike other other artistes have to work extra hard to come up original jokes all the time. That, I believe is where the problem lies: most are too lazy and so end recycling.

2 Likes

Re: This Annoying Thing About Nigerian Comedians by DAVE5(m): 8:15pm On Dec 03, 2014
holatin:
what
you say bovi the only A+ dat still make sense and AY.
Ay no funny at all, he only has concept.
If he no look like basket mouth, he no fit be like basket mouth
best comedian after Mr beans.

ay nah my long lost cousin ohh, no talk that tin wey u dey talk so com spoil bizness 4 d guy joor grin

Ay is funny

in his dreams angry

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Annoying Thing About Nigerian Comedians by PLEXPLEX(m): 8:16pm On Dec 03, 2014
Sodiq3:
what of seyi law and elenu?

This guys funny abeg ....sheyi law bad
Re: This Annoying Thing About Nigerian Comedians by Nobody: 8:17pm On Dec 03, 2014
Op Gordons say if him joke no make u laugh that means your family problem strong pass him joke, I go dye, Gordons, Akpororo, funny bone and basket mouth still got Jokes. Others, I can't say if they still do.

2 Likes

Re: This Annoying Thing About Nigerian Comedians by Nobody: 8:18pm On Dec 03, 2014
This is the conclusion of the whole matter: 'Seyi law' and 'Basketmouth' are Nigeria's best stand-up comedians, followed closely by 'Koffi' n 'Bovi'.
Re: This Annoying Thing About Nigerian Comedians by 1stola: 8:18pm On Dec 03, 2014
Sweetlemon:

I don't think you read well.
You're wrong.
Re: This Annoying Thing About Nigerian Comedians by INDESTRUCTABLEX(m): 8:23pm On Dec 03, 2014
Sharon6:
OP. I just want you to know it gets to a stage in life that just your name and anything associated with you sells. Don't we all struggle to get to the top? When you get to the top you relax bro. This doesn't happen with just the comedian, it happen everywhere, football, offices even between the thugs/touts. You don see MC Olu-omo dey break bottle/engage in fighting now? Didn't he do all those before getting to the top.?

CHECK MY SIGNATURE!!!

Wrong concept. You don't relax when you get to the top. Money and wealth shouldn't be the benchmark. Your competition should be yourself. Strive to surpass yourself.

1 Like

Re: This Annoying Thing About Nigerian Comedians by Nobody: 8:24pm On Dec 03, 2014
donbrowser:

If i e-slap you now, them go say i wicked. See as u take ur yeye dot take create space wey some people don dey urge for since 2008
babe no be my fault,na some people inspired me to dey do am.
Re: This Annoying Thing About Nigerian Comedians by Baddestguyp(m): 8:27pm On Dec 03, 2014
op, I saw this post at the right time just as I was watching one comedy show. tee A and some other popular comedians performed but I didn't even laugh at all. it just seemed like they were saying out everything they crammed. only one dat wasn't even popular made me laugh real hard
Re: This Annoying Thing About Nigerian Comedians by Darch: 8:29pm On Dec 03, 2014
Until there's a good competition,there wont be a need for an upgrade.
Re: This Annoying Thing About Nigerian Comedians by Nobody: 8:30pm On Dec 03, 2014
Sweetlemon:
I just watched a hilarious edition of EL R8D on ebony life TV courtesy of EmmaohmyGod and Chigurl. There's this bitter after taste in my mouth because I realized that their sense of humour will most likely die a mysterious death when they become A-list stars. Why are our comedians like this?

I attended a wedding where Bovi was the MC. This was before he became popular. My goodness! We almost died of laughter! He presented us oven fresh jokes in the most unique manner. In fact, he was just something else. He soon became popular and even though he's still funny, (in fact, he's the only A-list star comedian that is still funny, and maybe AY) I have not enjoyed him the way I enjoyed before he became famous.

I have attended weddings/events with AY and basket mouth as MCs and I don't remember laughing even once. Maybe a smile here and there but no full blown laughter. AY is only funny in his shows, outside that, he's just there. But you won't believe it's the same guys that nearly cracked you to death during their hustling days. Even Julius Agwu is nothing to write home about at events. All they do now is charge outrageous fees just to show us their designer suits. Huh? Smh.

American comedians like Kevin Hart, Arsenio Hall, Jerry Seinfeld, Chris Rock, Robin Williams (RIP) still make us laugh hysterically. So why are our stars forming like this? Could it be the psychological effect of too must hustling? Whatever, someone should tell these guys that this really not a good way of going international.

Arsenio Hall,Kevin Hart and co make you laugh because you watch their shows and stand ups on tv, How many times have you attended weddings in which they were MCs?

Were you the only one in those weddings that didn't find these guys funny??..just asking,no offence..

In klint da drunk's voice...sorry if they didn't make you laugh,it wasn't because of lack of talent on their part,your problem might just be bigger than their talent...

You seem to be a professional wedding 'attender'..it wld be hard to entertain someone like you when you go to weddings with all your 'issues n baggages'...

Let me stop here before I offend somebody.

1 Like

Re: This Annoying Thing About Nigerian Comedians by LeoFish92(m): 8:30pm On Dec 03, 2014
UnknownT:
Op, u need to come to PH, tune in to Silverbird PH or RSTV and hear dry jokes. From Prince Hezekiah to Castro d comedian, rugged pastor, mc benbillo, mc mor mor. Jesus Christ have mercy on us, and to think that all the names i mentioned are upcoming comedians. A set of very dry and humorless individuals
lol I feel your pain Bro, on the flip side of the coin There are guys who are born comedians but either they lack the platform or they neglect their talent, for instance I have a friend named JohnPaul, that guy is the funniest human being I've ever seen, I rate him higher than our A- list comedians in terms of being funny, he once made one woman in a bus laugh till tears flowed freely from her eyes,the woman later paid his T fare for him even though that was the first day they were meeting, I've tried everything possible to talk him into comedy or at least Being an Mc but he seems to have no interest in his natural ability, so such people are there hidden and making few people laugh away their sorrows, that my friend is now repairing phone at Ogbete market in Enugu while waiting for his youth service

5 Likes

Re: This Annoying Thing About Nigerian Comedians by jericco1(m): 8:34pm On Dec 03, 2014
Sweetlemon:

not too clear dear..!
Re: This Annoying Thing About Nigerian Comedians by Sweetlemon(f): 8:35pm On Dec 03, 2014
gbosaa:

Arsenio Hall,Kevin Hart and co make you laugh because you watch their shows and stand ups on tv, How many times have you attended weddings in which they were MCs?

Were you the only one in those weddings that didn't find these guys funny??..just asking,no offence..

In klint da drunk's voice...sorry if they didn't make you laugh,it wasn't because of lack of talent on their part,your problem might just be bigger than their talent...

You seem to be a professional wedding 'attender'..it wld be hard to entertain someone like you when you go to weddings with all your 'issues n baggages'...

Let me stop here before I offend somebody.

That stuff is getting stale abeg. Seems you didn't read the entire msg else you would have seen where I said that the upcoming comedians make me laugh. Abi my problems no big pass their own jokes? Dundee united!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Annoying Thing About Nigerian Comedians by WildChild00(m): 8:36pm On Dec 03, 2014
AY when he come perform for my sister wedding last year, with the 1.8 million wen he charge, na only its a gool, feed the bride he just dey shout, I for shot he leg dat day.....

3 Likes

Re: This Annoying Thing About Nigerian Comedians by laykhorn(m): 8:36pm On Dec 03, 2014
Sodiq3:
My favorite duo. I love this dudes, so creative and they even look alike
Re: This Annoying Thing About Nigerian Comedians by donbrowser(m): 8:38pm On Dec 03, 2014
Bunsky:
babe no be my fault,na some people inspired me to dey do am.
Re: This Annoying Thing About Nigerian Comedians by Sweetlemon(f): 8:40pm On Dec 03, 2014
WildChild00:
AY when he come perform for my sister wedding last year, with the 1.8 million wen he charge, na only its a gool, feed the bride he just dey shout, I for shot he leg dat day.....

Just imagine! Nonsense! These guys are not serious at all.

3 Likes

Re: This Annoying Thing About Nigerian Comedians by WildChild00(m): 8:42pm On Dec 03, 2014
LeoFish92:
lol I feel your pain Bro, on the flip side of the coin There are guys who are born comedians but either they lack the platform or they neglect their talent, for instance I have a friend named JohnPaul, that guy is the funniest human being I've ever seen, I rate him higher than our A- list comedians in terms of being funny, he once made one woman in a bus laugh till tears flowed freely from her eyes,the woman later paid his T fare for him even though that was the first day they were meeting, I've tried everything possible to talk him into comedy or at least Being an Mc but he seems to have no interest in his natural ability, so such people are there hidden and making few people laugh away their sorrows, that my friend is now repairing phone at Ogbete market in Enugu while waiting for his youth service

You're correct, being a comedian is made to be something natural, that comes from the inner mind of a person, you can never learn it, it is unfortunate that most upcoming comedians do learn to be "Comedian" this makes it harder for dem to fall into the industry, same joke in various places or even stealing each others joke.

1 Like

Re: This Annoying Thing About Nigerian Comedians by buccal(m): 8:42pm On Dec 03, 2014
And their this thing I noticed bout this A-list comedians who host shows in london'et all,why do they abuse nigerians in the name of making comedy and this americans will think nigerians are that dumb,I watch the videos they make on youtube.its quite annoying

4 Likes

Re: This Annoying Thing About Nigerian Comedians by kwencypresh(f): 8:44pm On Dec 03, 2014
Sodiq3:
mehhn i love these men n funny bone
Dey er my favourite comedians

I hate AY's joke frm time imoriver

1 Like 1 Share

Re: This Annoying Thing About Nigerian Comedians by WildChild00(m): 8:50pm On Dec 03, 2014
Sweetlemon:

Just imagine! Nonsense! These guys are not serious at all.

Its high time those guys should hv a regulatory body.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Helen Paul's Theatre & Film Academy In Lagos / 5 Celebrity Marriages That Have Scaled Through Scandal / Anambra Election Governorship: Yul Edochie Garners Support From Anambra Women

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.