Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,216 members, 7,887,579 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 10:52 AM

Jonathan Stops PDP’s Bid To Contest Buhari’s Victory - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Stops PDP’s Bid To Contest Buhari’s Victory (43104 Views)

Court Stops PDP From Holding Convention Till September 7 / Court Stops PDP National Convention / Jonathan Stops Pdp’s Bid To Contest Buhari’s Victory (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan Stops PDP’s Bid To Contest Buhari’s Victory by emog17(m): 9:21am On Apr 03, 2015
Menace2Society:
Clap for yourself u tried but thank your stars cos i'm a bit sober today!For bringing my family to this u deserve to be purnished sad
Loony, stfu! tongue
Re: Jonathan Stops PDP’s Bid To Contest Buhari’s Victory by Okeikpu(m): 9:22am On Apr 03, 2015
ellechrystal:

“At a point, Jonathan said ‘I don’t believe in post-election petition at tribunal because it distracts the incoming administration’.

As a victim of this, he knows best. Buhari took him to court In 2011, he was troubled,
Ignited killings, n boko started with furry, but this same good man doesn't want same on him.
This man respects buhari.
This is a case of leave vengeance for God.
Johna loves this country, he is a peace loving icon.
We will miss him.
Meanwhile, am still waiting for CHANGE.
( ˘ ³˘)❤
Re: Jonathan Stops PDP’s Bid To Contest Buhari’s Victory by dayodare490: 9:23am On Apr 03, 2015
dodoniyi:
President Goodluck Jonathan may have prevailed on the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) not to challenge President-elect Gen. Muhammadu Buhari’s victory  in last Saturday’s election.

Instead of planning a case for the Presidential Election Petitions Tribunal, thei Presidency will raise a Transition Committee on Tuesday, a source told The Nation yesterday.

Vice President-elect Prof. Yemi Osinbajo is likely to head the All Progressives Congress (APC) team which will join the committee ahead of the May 29 transition.

Ministers have started preparing their handover notes, it was also learnt.

It was gathered that although some PDP stalwarts wanted Buhari’s victory challenged at the tribunal, the President thought otherwise.

The party stalwarts, it was said, believe that some irregularities in some states are strong enough to upturn the final results of the election, which was hailed at home and abroad as substantially credible. Jonathan, it was learnt, said it made no sense —contesting Buhari’s victory— after he had conceded defeat.

It was learnt that the PDP leaders referred  to the electoral scenario in  Ekiti where  the All Progressives Congress(APC) went to tribunal  despite the acceptance of defeat by ex-Governor Kayode Fayemi.

The President, however, stood his ground that he would rather stand by his statesmanship attitude than going to tribunal.

A source, who spoke in confidence, said: “The President has prevailed on PDP to drop plans to go to tribunal against Buhari. He said he wants his word to be his bond, having been applauded by the international community.

“At a point, Jonathan said ‘I don’t believe in post-election petition at tribunal because it distracts the incoming administration’.

“He also said Nigeria must emulate other nations where once the presidential poll is lost and won, the new government must not be distracted with election petitions.

“He told party leaders that he was not interested in going to the tribunal. It is now left for PDP leaders to heed his advice.

“So as at Thursday, the government’s position is that the PDP should not go to tribunal.”

Stating the PDP’s position on the elections in a statement yesterday, Chairman Adamu Mu’azu, said:   “We have received reports of serious irregularities that characterized the conduct of the election and we shall channel our protests to the appropriate quarters in line with our profound respect for the rule of law and democratic ethos.”

He did not say whether the party would go to the tribunal but added:  “What is paramount to us is the survival of our democracy, the unity, peace and progress of our dear nation and the happiness of all our people. Nigeria is bigger than any political party, individual or group and her overall interest must be our priority at all times.”

The President in 2010 at the 15th summit of the African Union (AU) in Kampala, Uganda described post-election litigation as a major distraction to governance.

Jonathan said: “It is inconvenient to already be in office and be thinking about election litigation.

“The essence of the immunity clause in the constitution is that if a president or a governor takes an oath of office, he should sit down and concentrate on the job and when he leaves office, he could be prosecuted for any offence.

“But because of the way we conduct our elections, the president who sits in office is still battling and being distracted with election issues, and it affects us.”

The transition committee is likely to be constituted next week.

Another source added: “The Presidency is working on a seamless transition from Jonathan’s administration to Buhari’s. The details are being worked out.”

“I think by next week, the picture of the transition committee will emerge. The government is working early on the transition because it involves a lot of work.

“The APC team will have to collaborate with the committee and ask questions if there are grey areas.”

Meanwhile, Ministers have started compiling their handover notes, which will be part of the integral aspect of the report of the transition committee.

SOURCE: http://thenationonlineng.net/new/jonathan-stops-pdps-bid-to-contest-buharis-victory/
Does my ex president have better option than to bow out in sorrow. Although, if he has to bow out it should not be a man who says the dog and baboon that holds it will soak in the blood if he does not win upcoming election. Not to the man who says national conference is nonsense and didn't support it. It is painful that our president has to bow in sorrow
Re: Jonathan Stops PDP’s Bid To Contest Buhari’s Victory by amii131(f): 9:23am On Apr 03, 2015
still waiting for change if not in 4 yrs we sweep them out.
Re: Jonathan Stops PDP’s Bid To Contest Buhari’s Victory by egift(m): 9:24am On Apr 03, 2015
Caution30:

I no see anybody steal oo!
I only heard of people allegations.
Now my question to you is,does allegations translate to proven fact?

Allegation means it should be investigated (Probed), charged to court where there is evidence, press for the maximum punishment allowed by law and send him to jail is proven guilty of wrong-doing.

But some folks are here threatening hell if you even consider investigating anything on Jonathan and the numerous allegation of looting and misappropriation of funds.

So between me and them, who is running mad? grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Jonathan Stops PDP’s Bid To Contest Buhari’s Victory by shizzleStar: 9:24am On Apr 03, 2015
egift:

The sake of Peace and fairness. Jonathan is being given a pass. But remember that anyone who get involved in Corruption will be dealt with. When it starts some folks will cry blue murder.
I have ABSOLUTELY no problem with buhari fighting corruption. Corruption as been the bane of Nigeria's progress alongside nepotism and ethnicity.

If indeed buhari will fight corruption, cool but it shouldn't be selective based on region or party lines, in a bid to witch hunt others for some sinister reasons. If that's the case, he is most welcome. Any thing other than that will be fiercely resisted.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Stops PDP’s Bid To Contest Buhari’s Victory by Caution30: 9:25am On Apr 03, 2015
Just waiting for the Messiah GMB to equate one naira to one dollar as he promised during his campaign.
Cool to be at other of the divide!
Re: Jonathan Stops PDP’s Bid To Contest Buhari’s Victory by abdul123(m): 9:27am On Apr 03, 2015
The humble man just wants peace but this money tasting pdp members won't allow him be. 6 years looting never do una? Habaaa....
Re: Jonathan Stops PDP’s Bid To Contest Buhari’s Victory by egift(m): 9:28am On Apr 03, 2015
shizzleStar:
I have ABSOLUTELY no problem with buhari fighting corruption. Corruption as been the bane of Nigeria's progress alongside nepotism and ethnicity.

If indeed buhari will fight corruption, cool but it shouldn't be selective based on region or party lines, in a bid to witch hunt others for some sinister reasons. If that's the case, he is most welcome. Any thing other than that will be fiercely resisted.

Buhari has repeatedly stated that corruption is a major problem that needs to be stopped. He also stated that it will not be a witch-hunting.

The same rule will apply to everyone. On the good part is that if you are prosecuting me, I will be exposing you too.

So it is good for Nigeria.
Re: Jonathan Stops PDP’s Bid To Contest Buhari’s Victory by Defcon1(m): 9:28am On Apr 03, 2015
It's like the PDP guys don't even know when they are winning

By GEJ conceding defeat early, the whole world has come to honour him as a noble statesman, which is a big plus for the image of the PDP

Now, if they don't go to the tribunal it will set a great precedent never seen in the history of Nigeria...making them the 1ST political party to concede defeat in a presidential election without going to the tribunal

This stance will do wonders to the image of the party, thereby endearing them to the electorate in future elections
It will also put on pressure on other parties to act likewise in defeat, thereby making them a shining example.
PDP should use this golden opportunity as a platform for rebuilding

There is truly victory in defeat after all.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Stops PDP’s Bid To Contest Buhari’s Victory by joelind: 9:28am On Apr 03, 2015
nice 1
Re: Jonathan Stops PDP’s Bid To Contest Buhari’s Victory by sanc2s(f): 9:29am On Apr 03, 2015
egift:
While Jonathan is doing all he can to stay out of jail, get a warm retirement arrangements that will help him keep most of his loots - some ignorant TANiods are trying to put Sand-Sand in his Garri grin grin grin grin

Now where are those who promised hell to stop Buhari and Nigerian?

I have always maintained: This Change Is Unstoppable. God has remembered Nigerians and has delivered us from the claws of Corruption.

Sai Buhari. God bless Africa.
You are a big fool. Instead of you to give cudos to Jonathan's maturity, you're blabbing nonesense. Do u think we're in Militaru Regime? Do u think Buhari can do Jonathan anythn? Jonathan is simply a good man. The whole world hav seen that. We pray Buhari works with the right people and move our country foward.

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Stops PDP’s Bid To Contest Buhari’s Victory by Julleytex(m): 9:29am On Apr 03, 2015
GEJ remains a hero in the history of Nigerian Democracy - he has written his name in the marble. He still resounds that the interest of Nigeria as a nation supersedes that of any individual.
#Mo Ibrahim Prize awaits you#
Re: Jonathan Stops PDP’s Bid To Contest Buhari’s Victory by shizzleStar: 9:30am On Apr 03, 2015
egift:

Allegation means it should be investigated (Probed), charged to court where there is evidence, press for the maximum punishment allowed by law and send him to jail is proven guilty of wrong-doing.

But some folks are here threatening hell if you even consider investigating anything on Jonathan and the numerous allegation of looting and misappropriation of funds.

You don't get it do you?

I have said it severally and repeat for emphasis, fight corruption but doing it SELECTIVELY will be resisted. If you want to probe and investigate GEJ after office, start with OBJ another past leader with corruption cases hanging round his neck like badges of honour.

IF you must, probe every national/party leaders eg tinubu, atiku etal. No one will or should be left off the hook. Its that simple

egift:

Buhari has repeatedly stated that corruption is a major problem that needs to be stopped. He also stated that it will not be a witch-hunting.

The same rule will apply to everyone. On the good part is that if you are prosecuting me, I will be exposing you too.

So it is good for Nigeria.
We are on the same page.

So be it! cool

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Stops PDP’s Bid To Contest Buhari’s Victory by Caution30: 9:31am On Apr 03, 2015
egift:

Being investigated doesn't mean one is guilty,
If may ask you, wat are the evidence of looting against GEJ?

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Stops PDP’s Bid To Contest Buhari’s Victory by egift(m): 9:38am On Apr 03, 2015
sanc2s:
You are a big fool. Instead of you to give cudos to Jonathan's maturity, you're blabbing nonesense. Do u think we're in Militaru Regime? Do u think Buhari can do Jonathan anythn? Jonathan is simply a good man. The whole world hav seen that. We pray Buhari works with the right people and move our country foward.

What maturity? Finding a safe angle to step out the ring after a heavy beating! grin grin grin grin grin

FYI, Jonathan is a good man who presided over an administration that looted massively - am still trying to wrap by head around the irony. But to add "A Hero" to it is an insult to an injury.
Re: Jonathan Stops PDP’s Bid To Contest Buhari’s Victory by Kayendy(m): 9:39am On Apr 03, 2015
Sth tells. Me dat Jona lost on purpose... maybe he was threatened to seek second tenure. which he didn't want to....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Stops PDP’s Bid To Contest Buhari’s Victory by egift(m): 9:40am On Apr 03, 2015
Caution30:

Being investigated doesn't mean one is guilty,
If may ask you, wat are the evidence of looting against GEJ?

Please stop spinning this. We agree on many issue on this. Just that you also hold the opinion nobody should look into the corruption that happen in his watch, else you tag it witch-hunt.
Re: Jonathan Stops PDP’s Bid To Contest Buhari’s Victory by genxris: 9:42am On Apr 03, 2015
GEJ is an examplary politician of our time.
Re: Jonathan Stops PDP’s Bid To Contest Buhari’s Victory by folahann(m): 9:42am On Apr 03, 2015
Ok, I see here that Jonathan is looking for a soft landing. I think he should get it. Buhari should spare GEJ but deal with those cabals that surrouded him. I strongly believe they are the ones that push him to this level.
Re: Jonathan Stops PDP’s Bid To Contest Buhari’s Victory by Billygee2u: 9:44am On Apr 03, 2015
egift:
While Jonathan is doing all he can to stay out of jail, get a warm retirement arrangements that will help him keep most of his loots - some ignorant TANiods are trying to put Sand-Sand in his Garri grin grin grin grin

I have always maintained: This Change Is Unstoppable. God has remembered Nigerians and has delivered us from the claws of Corruption.

u sound hypocritical,which past president in Nigeria that have been prosecuted and probed,even sent to jail?

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Stops PDP’s Bid To Contest Buhari’s Victory by Billygee2u: 9:47am On Apr 03, 2015
Caution30:
Just waiting for the Messiah GMB to equate one naira to one dollar as he promised during his campaign.
Cool to be at other of the divide!
also just waiting for buhari to probe tinubu when he assume office
Re: Jonathan Stops PDP’s Bid To Contest Buhari’s Victory by Nobody: 9:48am On Apr 03, 2015
Guy,

Just kneel down and thank God for the peace that Nigeria is enjoying today.
It is because of this peace that you can sit down and type rubbish on your PC or Phone.
Instead of you to be happy that Nigeria did not go to war with each other, you are busy inciting hatred.
People like you deserves to be made an example of so that all other idiots trying to cause problem in this country will
learn to shut up their mouths.
If after saving Nigeria from a war without end, you still come here to insult Jonathan and wish him ill, then you don't have common sense.
The best thing for Buhari to do is not to witch hunt any past leader, but to set good example moving forward.
Buhari can't punish PDP members unless he is ready to also punish almost all APC leaders.

egift:

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Stops PDP’s Bid To Contest Buhari’s Victory by Caution30: 9:53am On Apr 03, 2015
egift:

Please stop spinning this. We agree on many issue on this. Just that you also hold the opinion nobody should look into the corruption that happen in his watch, else you tag it witch-hunt.
Spinning what!
I m not against fighting corruption, what I m against is Injustice,sabotage and witch hunting.
If you can prove to me based on facts and not propaganda,
Then I will join ur crusade to jail Gej

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Stops PDP’s Bid To Contest Buhari’s Victory by IYANGBALI: 9:55am On Apr 03, 2015
in a related development i have changed my mind to sue the mods for placing a ban on me because i refused to play along with them.
Re: Jonathan Stops PDP’s Bid To Contest Buhari’s Victory by Filmewell(f): 9:57am On Apr 03, 2015
shachris:
this guy is trying so so hard to buy favour from GMB. going to court would be. suicide considering the massive rigging in PDP states....Jonathan keep deceiving them with your fake statesmanship.
dont you think these behaviour he is displaying is his innate nature, something that comes within him that even him dont know how to subdue. we all knew he was never a violent man.
Re: Jonathan Stops PDP’s Bid To Contest Buhari’s Victory by tete7000(m): 9:59am On Apr 03, 2015
egift:

It is good for him. It is also commendable. It is a last minute Retirement Plan to protect what is left of his legacy. It is a smart move. Am glad he took the advice.

Who advised him? Maybe you should read through the passage again.
Re: Jonathan Stops PDP’s Bid To Contest Buhari’s Victory by ooshinibos: 10:00am On Apr 03, 2015
Thank God GEJ called buhari and conceded , if he had waited for Abati and okupe , he will not have made the call ...dem for seize his phone and deceive GEJ :::: Gej is smarter than you think ; he saved a lot of naija citizens from bloodshed
Re: Jonathan Stops PDP’s Bid To Contest Buhari’s Victory by gyanny: 10:02am On Apr 03, 2015
GEJ is trying to make safe haven for himself!!! Some Hypocritics like Akpabio,mimiko,ffk and odas are started again.
Re: Jonathan Stops PDP’s Bid To Contest Buhari’s Victory by Tradesrunner(m): 10:06am On Apr 03, 2015
Otenestbestyaho:
I see a yoruba man becoming a president in a matter of months~prophet TB joshua. Wow, I love this!
You dnt fear God abi

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Were People Right About Buhari? / EFCC Arrests Babatunde Fowler, Former FIRS Chairman / Tolu Ebun: Meet Nigeria’s Most Beautiful Political Aspirant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.