Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,364 members, 7,888,172 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 08:56 PM

General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries - Travel (57) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries (548887 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) ... (317) (Go Down)

Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by shilling(f): 9:28pm On Feb 04, 2010
It's cold but liveable.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by DrTony1(m): 8:18am On Feb 05, 2010
@Nethacker and Shilling, tanks alot.
But how do I apply to these medik skools. Ive searchd bt found few I dnt lyk. Cld U gv a website that could help me find it easier. @Shilling, talkn abt high gradez, rememba we only hv distinction nd pass here in Nigeria. And also wil I hv 2 take USMLE togeda wit GRE?Talkn of Toefl, I ve got it during my secondary skool days, do I hv 2 take anoda one or use dat same old one. Im plannin on leavn by d fall of 2011 so I believe I gat much tym 4 my processn of d stuffs I nid. Tanks alot house.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by nethacker(m): 8:27am On Feb 05, 2010
Dr.Tony:

But how do I apply to these medik skools. Ive searchd bt found few I dnt lyk. Cld U gv a website that could help me find it easier. @Shilling, talkn abt high gradez, rememba we only hv distinction nd pass here in Nigeria. And also wil I hv 2 take USMLE togeda wit GRE?Talkn of Toefl, I ve got it during my secondary skool days, do I hv 2 take anoda one or use dat same old one. Im plannin on leavn by d fall of 2011 so I believe I gat much tym 4 my processn of d stuffs I nid. Tanks alot house.
almost all d schools here hv medical schools, if u wont mind,check out stonybrookes med sch, its in newyork,they r very very good
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by shilling(f): 9:13am On Feb 05, 2010
Dr.Tony:

Here's a link to all the accredited medical schools in the US. I believe if you went to their websites, you'll find all you need to know:
http://services.aamc.org/memberlistings/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.search&search_type=MS&wildcard_criteria=&state_criteria=CNT:USA&image=Search

The TOEFL test is only valid for 2 years.

Fall '11 sounds good.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by gongoaso1: 8:12pm On Feb 05, 2010
4ril:

Sometimes, people share the questions they were asked during their US visa interview. I have an observation about an aspect of the questions and I wish to get an answer. example;

Consular: How many schools did you apply to and how many accepted you?

I followed this thread from page 1 to 56. I didn't see any one who said " I applied to only one, and I was accepted by that one alone". I noticed that most people said they applied to more than one.

My question is this; assuming one actually applies to one school, and got accepted by that school alone. Is it risky to say say it? Must one say that he/she applies to e.g 2 schools, 3 schools or something? Please, this is my observation and I wish to get a good reply. Thank you.

I think the first question you need to answer is are u applying to one school
If yes, I suggest you start applying to some other schools. Getting admission aint beans and the consulars know that. That you r applying to more than a school shows you are serious about studying in the states and not just playing 'tete'.

While it myt not make a difference as femilangy posited, you want to have a ready answer as to why you applied to only one school.

Dr.Tony:

Hi Folks, I must commend the great work y'all are doing here. Goodjob guys.
Please House, I need your help. Im a fresh graduate of Medicine & Surgery from UNN, and I intend specializing in my medical field in the U.S.A, But Im kind of new to all the procedures involved in studying in the U.S. Pls can someone help me in outlining the exams and procedures I 'll have to take here, pls sum1 should come to my aid. God bless you as you do so Thanks. Heres also my mail: Tunacer@yahoo.com

no long tin chief. there are two ways about it, its either you want to get a masters in a medical related field or you want to go do your residency in which case doesn't require masters, all you need is to pass the USMLE. To get masters, select a school from that shillings  abi kobo  tongue posted, make ur application,seat for GRE, send in transcripts and recommendations . I suggest u get in touch with afrodoc. u guys seem on same path, only he's ahead. perhaps he can advise u more.

afrodoc:

Hi house,i just gained admission 2 study at Emory Rollins School of Public Health 2 study 4 an MPH degree.i scored 1520 in my GRE so i'm still hopeful abt  Harvard and Johns Hopkins(i tink Rachiwise shud remember me from d GRE thread).my Q now is wat impact (positive or negative) will d fact dt one's potential sponsor is US based hv one's visa applicatn 
nice score!!! I recall u from the GRE thread as well.
u should be able to get some funding in which case you wont need be finicky with your financial status.
I know people whose sponsor were in the states  and they were given visas. It is not a black and white thing.
cool
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by shilling(f): 8:53pm On Feb 05, 2010
gongo aso:

no long tin chief. there are two ways about it, its either you want to get a masters in a medical related field or you want to go do your residency in which case doesn't require masters, all you need is to pass the USMLE. To get masters, select a school from that shillings  abi kobo  tongue posted, make your application,seat for GRE, send in transcripts and recommendations . I suggest u get in touch with afrodoc. u guys seem on same path, only he's ahead. perhaps he can advise u more.

grin very funny, there's no s at the end dude  lipsrsealed
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by nethacker(m): 9:15pm On Feb 05, 2010
shilling:

lets get to meet babe, u knw my YIM wink grin tongue kiss
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by shilling(f): 10:45pm On Feb 05, 2010
Nope, don't want to either.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by nethacker(m): 10:59pm On Feb 05, 2010
shilling:

Nope, don't want to either.
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaatttt!!!! shocked angry
suite urself angry
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by DrTony1(m): 11:25pm On Feb 05, 2010
@Shilling, d addres U droped was a bomb, twaz all I nided.
@gongo aso, tanks so much.
@nethacker, Ive just applied for stony brook medical school. It seems 2 be of high caliber but being on Long Island?? Isnt that a countryside?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by nethacker(m): 11:40pm On Feb 05, 2010
Dr.Tony:

@Shilling, d addres U droped was a bomb, twaz all I nided.
@gongo aso, tanks so much.
@nethacker, Ive just applied for stony brook medical school. It seems 2 be of high caliber but being on Long Island?? Isnt that a countryside?
dats where their admin office is but the med sch gan gan dey NYC and another in Long Island
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by DrTony1(m): 11:58pm On Feb 05, 2010
@Gonga aso, Im going for residency not masters. Seems USMLE look like a hard nut to crack by d look of things, but God dey sha. So wot of TOEFL? Do I nid dat also.
@nethacker: then its cooool dude, so do U hv a friend there or sumtin.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by nethacker(m): 12:04am On Feb 06, 2010
Dr.Tony:

@Gonga aso, Im going for residency not masters. Seems USMLE look like a hard nut to crack by d look of things, but God dey sha. So wot of TOEFL? Do I nid dat also.
nope, my brother's wife finished there
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by gongoaso1: 4:01am On Feb 06, 2010
shilling:

no worries shilling.
i just get the kicks from your username  cheesy

Dr.Tony:

Dr. Tony, dunno, but i just feel your case. This is a visa thread but lets digress. You are a medical doc so you should know the path to practicing (residency) in the US which i guess its what you want. Truth is you need to sit for the USMLE as you already know aint beans but God dey as u said. You can only write the first stage of the USMLE in Ghana after which the second stage is written in the US in which case you will need a visa for. I strongly doubt the possibility of embassy giving you a visa based on the fact you want to go write USMLE cos what that means is you intend not coming back to Nigeria, a situation they frown on seriously. So you wanna get to the states, you want to consider the masters option. There after you can seat for USMLE once you pass the POE  lipsrsealed
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Ldales(m): 5:21pm On Feb 06, 2010
hi house, how is your weekend going, i must say this forum is impressive and thoughtful,

i have a LASG scholarship to study for my master degree but i have a few questions.

i am waiting for my I-20 from the university of Northern Virginia for April resumption, this are my question:

1.my school didnt request for GRE nor TOEFL. do i need it for the embassy?

2.Would i be able to pay my SEVIS fee online,cos i have a zenith/GTB visacard and GTB mastercard?

3. do i have to pay my fees before going to the embassy?

4. i currently work, so what documents do i need to go with?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by gongoaso1: 5:50pm On Feb 06, 2010
Ldales:

hi house, how is your weekend going,  i must say this forum is impressive and thoughtful,

i have a LASG scholarship to study for my master degree but i have a few questions.

i am waiting for my I-20 from the university of Northern Virginia for April resumption, this are my question:

1.my school didnt request for GRE nor TOEFL. do i need it for the embassy?

2.Would i be able to pay my SEVIS fee online,cos i have a zenith/GTB visacard and GTB mastercard?

3. do i have to pay my fees before going to the embassy?

4. i currently work, so what documents do i need to go with?

1. No. Not really. However, have a ready answer as to why you didn't take those exams. But a quick advise, go write them to avoid any long tin

2. No.

3. No.

4. Check the US embassy website for documents required from those applying for an F1 Visa.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by 2gd: 7:41pm On Feb 06, 2010
@ldales : ow did u get d scholarship from lasg?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by oyewolejos(m): 9:49pm On Feb 06, 2010
Long time since i have visited this thread last cos of school work here.Assignment everyday and other stuff wan kill me here.Gongo Aso,Nethacker,Femilangy and co how your side now.US no dey rosy as people back at home think o.California even worst cos illegal full here cos of it's closeness to Mexico.But do dey.
I wish all Fall 2010 hopefuls the very best of luck.
Any info about Anambra election?I pray they give the people this moment to decide who they want.
One Love
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by shilling(f): 10:32pm On Feb 06, 2010
oyewolejos:

Long time since i have visited this thread last cos of school work here.Assignment everyday and other stuff wan kill me here.Gongo Aso,Nethacker,Femilangy and co how your side now.US no dey rosy as people back at home think o.California even worst cos illegal full here cos of it's closeness to Mexico.But do dey.
I wish all Fall 2010 hopefuls the very best of luck.
Any info about Anambra election?I pray they give the people this moment to decide who they want.
One Love

shocked ?!!
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by oyewolejos(m): 10:53pm On Feb 06, 2010
@shillings i lie?That is the truth.We need to let peole who are taking steps to come here know the task they gonna face if they eventually get here.You can HAMMER here if u get luck of doing illegal stuff and escape with it.But on a serious note besides constant power supply,adequate security and good roads, Nigeria is better off.I see folks here with a US degree and still collecting unemployment benefits since they left school simply because no job.Some GreenCard holders are just here for the sake of being here.Honestly if i get done with my studies am flying back immediately.
$13000 tuition for international students no be beans.After tuition u buy book of about $2000.We haven't talk about rents and living expenses.After everything u spend between $25000-$30000 per year.4.5 MILLON NAIRA PER YEAR for 4years is roughly 20 MILLION NAIRA.
America no go kills us.Let me here a resounding Amen.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by shilling(f): 11:07pm On Feb 06, 2010
Okaaaaaaaaay, speak for yourself Mister. I agree, it's not perfect, but then again it depends on where you're living. If it's California, then I kinda understand - badly hit by the recession.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by nethacker(m): 12:17am On Feb 07, 2010
oyewolejos:

@shillings i lie?That is the truth.We need to let peole who are taking steps to come here know the task they gonna face if they eventually get here.You can HAMMER here if u get luck of doing illegal stuff and escape with it.But on a serious note besides constant power supply,adequate security and good roads, Nigeria is better off.I see folks here with a US degree and still collecting unemployment benefits since they left school simply because no job.Some GreenCard holders are just here for the sake of being here.Honestly if i get done with my studies am flying back immediately.
$13000 tuition for international students no be beans.After tuition u buy book of about $2000.We haven't talk about rents and living expenses.After everything u spend between $25000-$30000 per year.4.5 MILLON NAIRA PER YEAR for 4years is roughly 20 MILLION NAIRA.
America no go kills us.Let me here a resounding Amen.
grin grin grin grin
shilling:

Okaaaaaaaaay, speak for yourself Mister. I agree, it's not perfect, but then again it depends on where you're living. If it's California, then I kinda understand - badly hit by the recession.
and u shillings ,FYI,everyone here on this forum r like brothers, trying to associate wit u shouldnt give u the credence to be nasty, gongoaso,femilangy,wems002,gadunbarin even oyewolejos n my humble self call ourselves here, john4uu too, we r only trying to maintain d relationship jst as we've been in 9ja.its ur choice if u choose to be a snub,suit urself angry angry
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by shilling(f): 1:01am On Feb 07, 2010
I'm not being a snub or trying to be nasty, I was simply giving my opinion - which was addressed to oyewolejos not you. If you think I'm being nasty, like you said - suit yourself.

BTW: Apologies to oyewolejos if you think that was mean. nethacker
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by afrodoc(m): 1:45am On Feb 07, 2010
@Ldales i would love 2 know how u got d LASG scholarship i.e requirements,procedures e.t.c
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by sagby: 6:49am On Feb 07, 2010
Hey Guys, how are u all doing, how studies? Incase u never Know, studing here is not easy but thank God non of us is complaining. Much love to Nethacker, femi, oyewolejos and gongo aso. Keep ur head up. we are rebranding Nigeria.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by nethacker(m): 7:11am On Feb 07, 2010
sagby:

Hey Guys, how are u all doing, how studies? Incase u never Know, studing here is not easy but thank God non of us is complaining. Much love to Nethacker, femi, oyewolejos and gongo aso. Keep your head up. we are rebranding Nigeria.
SAGBY shocked shocked where u dey since na? shocked i was almost thinking those babes don rape u like plat friend grin grin . @ d bolded , i dnt think pple actually knw how hard it is to study here, in d past,i use to think we dey study for 9ja pass them here but omo na lie oooooo, to make 1st class here no easy men, I now see y employers of labour in 9ja value US degrees/certificates, Pls jst dey do ur assignments grin grin
1luv bro,
@shillings,i get u for mind realtime angry angry d babe just dey fk up , Incase u dnt knw,we rule this forum/thread angry angry
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by shilling(f): 7:55am On Feb 07, 2010
nethacker:

@shillings,i get u for mind realtime angry angry d babe just dey fk up ,  Incase u dnt knw,we rule this forum/thread  angry angry

Like you heard me say I'll like to co-rule your "kingdom,"  give yourself a break angry
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by nethacker(m): 8:08am On Feb 07, 2010
shilling:

Like you heard me say I'll like to co-rule your "kingdom," give yourself a break angry
u cant even co-rule angry but jst respect d pple u meet here SIMPLE!!!!! dat i am trying to associate wit u shouldnt make u feel too important, angry
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by shilling(f): 9:15am On Feb 07, 2010
I'm guessing I begged for your "association". Don't want it, didn't ask for it. Live and let live.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by nethacker(m): 9:33am On Feb 07, 2010
shilling:

I'm guessing I begged for your "association". Don't want it, didn't ask for it. Live and let live.
good tongue tongue let's not hijack this thread, let it be for d reason y femilangy created it n not for bashing, gat no tym 2 xchange words with u
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Ldales(m): 8:13am On Feb 08, 2010
So, how can i pay the SEVIS fee. I intend to write the TOEFL soon, but not GRE, as for the LASG scholarship, i applied in february 2008 and had even forgotten i applied @cos it was dragging and then i had applied to the UK embassy, with a false tax clearance that a supposed family friend gave me, so i had forgotten about scholarship application and was preparing for GMAT, the procedure wasnt tedious at the time, dunno bou now,

Then, it was

Application Form
letter from your Local Council Chairman
Letter from an Oba who knows you and know your an indigene of the state
Credentials,
NYSC(Which i dint have then)

Thats all i remember, But beyond all these, it was purely God @cos, i am not from Lagos, and it was more like a @lemme even try this thing@ kinda application,
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by nethacker(m): 8:18am On Feb 08, 2010
Ldales:

So, how can i pay the SEVIS fee. I intend to write the TOEFL soon, but not GRE, as for the LASG scholarship, i applied in february 2008 and had even forgotten i applied @cos it was dragging and then i had applied to the UK embassy, with a false tax clearance that a supposed family friend gave me, so i had forgotten about scholarship application and was preparing for GMAT, the procedure wasnt tedious at the time, dunno bou now,

Then, it was

Application Form
letter from your Local Council Chairman
Letter from an Oba who knows you and know your an indigene of the state
Credentials,
NYSC(Which i dint have then)

Thats all i remember, But beyond all these, it was purely God @cos, i am not from Lagos, and it was more like a @lemme even try this thing@ kinda application,
dont worry abt sevis now until u get ur I-20 wink

(1) (2) (3) ... (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) ... (317)

Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant / Nigerians In Oslo, Norway / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.