Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,728 members, 7,875,827 topics. Date: Saturday, 29 June 2024 at 10:25 PM

How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease - Science/Technology (27) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease (709536 Views)

17-Year-Old Boy Helps Polytechnic To Build Nigeria's First Locally-Made Drone / The Locally-Made Vehicle I Saw In Aba - Pictures / Locally Made Amphibian Jet Spotted At Lagos Stadium (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (357) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by Nobody: 5:45pm On Jan 21, 2016
The local business office here already knows that I have been cut off from them.... I just can NOT afford to be paying as much as N15,400 per month on electricity. When most of the electricity I consume is between 5pm and 1 am... The highest consuming appliance in my house is Pressing iron (1200 watts/1.2 kilowatts)... I don't have AC, water heater, water pump or any of those electrical devices that consume a lot of electricity.

it is not like the light is always available...

Seriously man, I used 70 KWH (70 units) in August 2015 and I was billed for 903 KWH (903 units)!

pato405:

The bill will continue to increase o! and then, when it gets too scary for you (around 200k), you'll get more frustrated and leave the accommodation. Another unsuspecting tenant (just like me) will move in unawares...the domino effect continues. I reached an agreement with my Landlord sha - to deduct the paid sum from my next rent, because I paid for what I didn't use.

Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by ceejay80s(m): 5:49pm On Jan 21, 2016
for those using their inverter setup with led or lcd tv, pls reduce the backlight, contrast and brightness of ur led or lcd tv to get more watch time on ur inverter

1 Like

Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by bishop4life(m): 5:54pm On Jan 21, 2016
Leopantro:
I'm wondering if it's that capacitor close to the output black and red wires close to the bottom of the picture because the Meter does not register the voltage through the output I. E the meter rests on zero when I connect the batteries unlike before when it swings to 12v when I connects to battery.

These are what to look up to.

1. Check the inlet fuse. Sometimes it comes as 1-100ohms resistor.

2. Check the thyristor. It might possibly drop or break the inlet current.

3. Check those transistors. Normally mosfet transistors just check the number on it then buy and replace.

If you are staying in onitsha and environmental, pm me.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by Leopantro: 6:07pm On Jan 21, 2016
bishop4life:

These are what to look up to.

1. Check the inlet fuse. Sometimes it comes as 1-100ohms resistor.

2. Check the thyristor. It might possibly drop or break the inlet current.

3. Check those transistors. Normally mosfet transistors just check the number on it then buy and replace.

If you are staying in onitsha and environmental, pm me.

Wonderful, this makes it a lot easier. Will copy out the ratings on all the components you pointed out and try and get them over the weekend. If I'm out of luck will definitely contact you. Currently in Owerri.
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by Leopantro: 6:12pm On Jan 21, 2016
ceejay80s:
for those using their inverter setup with led or lcd tv, pls reduce the backlight, contrast and brightness of ur led or lcd tv to get more watch time on ur inverter

Also avoid using a USB hard drive in your TV while using the inverter, use a flash drive. For some strange reason, the TV uses more electricity accessing the hard drive.
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by bishop4life(m): 6:55pm On Jan 21, 2016
Leopantro:

Wonderful, this makes it a lot easier. Will copy out the ratings on all the components you pointed out and try and get them over the weekend. If I'm out of luck will definitely contact you. Currently in Owerri.

No, you don't have to buy all the items.

First, check the fuse with multimeter to see if there is continuity. If you don't have a multimeter you can just jumper (bridge) the two terminals of the fuse with a short wire (I normally do this with a single piece of stranded flexible wire, the one used to connect speakers).

Secondly check the thyristor. It normally doesn't stop your appliance from performing since in many power circuits it servers as power surge. But when it's faulty it will short circuit and blow or break the power in flow (so check behind the board for broken circuit around the thyristor. If you find one, jumper it and remove the thyristor.

If the above two are OK. Then you can proceed to buying the transistors. I wish you luck
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by ceejay80s(m): 6:58pm On Jan 21, 2016
Leopantro:

Maybe i am not seeing the pic u uploaded clearly but its like i have seen the problem, there are 2 component inbetween a red and pink wire that is connected to on and off switch, dat component is burnt, the colour isn't supposed to be black ,check now and get back 2 me
2 thing damaged:
(1).resistor is burnt and it supplies power to the On and off switch
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by bishop4life(m): 7:12pm On Jan 21, 2016
ceejay80s:

Maybe i am not seeing the pic u uploaded clearly but its like i have seen the problem, there are 2 component inbetween a red and pink wire that is connected to on and off switch, dat component is burnt, the colour isn't supposed to be black ,check now and get back 2 me

You are right bro, those are the fuse and the thyristor I mentioned above. The fuse is normally a glass tube but the possibility of it being black is there since it doesn't have color code . The thyristor is normally blue or arm green but as well doesn't have color code so also have possibility of being brown.

But traditionally, if you are working on a faulty circuit it's normal to start with the inflow which points back to the two components. His problem is somewhere between the three I pointed above and their high probabilities comes with their arrangements.
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by ceejay80s(m): 7:13pm On Jan 21, 2016
Leopantro:

Also avoid using a USB hard drive in your TV while using the inverter, use a flash drive. For some strange reason, the TV uses more electricity accessing the hard drive.
check if those 2 things i mentioned are burnt as in black
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by Leopantro: 7:36pm On Jan 21, 2016
bishop4life:

You are right bro, those are the fuse and the thyristor I mentioned above. The fuse is normally a glass tube but the possibility of it being black is there since it doesn't have color code . The thyristor is normally blue or arm green but as well doesn't have color code so also have possibility of being brown.

But traditionally, if you are working on a faulty circuit it's normal to start with the inflow which points back to the two components. His problem is somewhere between the three I pointed above and their high probabilities comes with their arrangements.

The two black things are the fuse and the thyristor. The fuse has a black coating with numbers on it ; I can see the numbers 837 C something in it.
The thyristor is round and black

1 Share

Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by Leopantro: 7:42pm On Jan 21, 2016
bishop4life:

No, you don't have to buy all the items.

First, check the fuse with multimeter to see if there is continuity. If you don't have a multimeter you can just jumper (bridge) the two terminals of the fuse with a short wire (I normally do this with a single piece of stranded flexible wire, the one used to connect speakers).

Will I bridge the fuse with the flexible wire while the smart charger is on or off and when I do what do I expect to see?
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by bishop4life(m): 7:43pm On Jan 21, 2016
Leopantro:

The two black things are the fuse and the thyristor. The fuse has a black coating with numbers on it ; I can see the numbers 837 C something in it.
The thyristor is round and black

Very good but the code you see on the fuse ain't the through value. Use razor blade to remove the coating on the fuse(might even be a resistor). The thyristor sometimes are also coated with thin pvc, do same to it
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by bishop4life(m): 7:48pm On Jan 21, 2016
Leopantro:

Will I bridge the fuse with the flexible wire while the smart charger is on or off and when I do what do I expect to see?

I just read your initial complain now, if it shows green light when connected to power that means your fuse and thyristor are OK.

We should be looking out for any possible relay switch or those transistors since some transistors works as switching components too.
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by bishop4life(m): 7:58pm On Jan 21, 2016
@Leopantro please remove the board from the casing and snap the back of the board. Concentrate on the areas around the two wires that supply the battery. Also I will like to know if the Ammeter reads when on load. And the fan, does it blow?
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by Leopantro: 8:31pm On Jan 21, 2016
bishop4life:
@Leopantro please remove the board from the casing and snap the back of the board. Concentrate on the areas around the two wires that supply the battery. Also I will like to know if the Ammeter reads when on load. And the fan, does it blow?

The Ammeter doesn't read when on load and since the indicator doesn't turn red, the fan doesn't turn.

Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by bishop4life(m): 8:44pm On Jan 21, 2016
The pictures are not loading
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by Leopantro: 9:01pm On Jan 21, 2016
bishop4life:
The pictures are not loading
Network issues

Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by ceejay80s(m): 1:48pm On Jan 22, 2016
saint2ace:

Pato it's important to keep ur UPS plugged in to maximize your battery's life as well as the span, when it's plugged in and nepa restores light; the load is taken off the batteries and direct current runs thru to power ur appliances, so the load only begins to draw current from the batteries when the lite goes off.

this is why i prefer a ups to those 150watts, 300watts ,500watts etc inverters

saint2ace thank u,
current is not drawn from ur battery when u have light, which means ur battery is resting when u have light and it increases ur battery life span compared to those small inverters that cant be plugged to power source, dont know if larger watts inverters works like the ups.
those small inverters sucks current from ur battery weda light dey or not, reducing ur battery life span
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by bobojoshua(m): 1:59pm On Jan 22, 2016
ceejay80s:
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by ceejay80s(m): 3:09pm On Jan 22, 2016
[quote author=bobojoshua post=42220729][/quote] bobojoshua , u don start again, quoting without reply, u strong o!
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by joearinze(m): 3:10pm On Jan 22, 2016
pato405:

Ceejay, I don't know the make/model o! I just stumbled into a guy who said he had battery and inverter for sale...then I thought..wait a minute, 'I think I need those' so I bargained 3k for the inverter - which he gladly sold, and 10k for the 100AH battery. However, I think I lost on the battery as it wasn't well maintained. Looks new outside but not really alive inside..perhaps because, as he claimed, he has left it unused for a very long time. On a 30 watt load, the battery lasts only 6hours. By my calculation, this is equivalent to 180watt-hours (30wX6hrs). if you divide by 12V, you'll simply get 15AH...this means that 85AH has been used away...that's a BIG loss o! Anyway, you win some, you lose some. I have seen Ugo (the Oshodi guy) and told him that I need a very good 80AH battery. he said 13k. I think I can combine both to get around 95AH and number of hours expected= 95 X12 = 1140 watt hours which on 30watt load could last up to 38hrs! (1140WH/30W)Na cash I just need now, to get that battery! meanwhile see my pix attached.

[img][/img]

Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by Nobody: 5:02pm On Jan 22, 2016
I have 500watts inverter that doesn't have its own inbuilt charger, there is a switch to off and on the inverter... does it still consume electricity when it is off?

ceejay80s:

this is why i prefer a ups to those 150watts, 300watts ,500watts etc inverters

saint2ace thank u,
current is not drawn from ur battery when u have light, which means ur battery is resting when u have light and it increases ur battery life span compared to those small inverters that cant be plugged to power source, dont know if larger watts inverters works like the ups.
those small inverters sucks current from ur battery weda light dey or not, reducing ur battery life span

Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by ceejay80s(m): 5:26pm On Jan 22, 2016
TeOwl:
I have 500watts inverter that doesn't have its own inbuilt charger, there is a switch to off and on the inverter... does it still consume electricity when it is off?

what i mean is that ur inverter dont switch itself automatically to nepa when ur light comes back on, but a ups does that , a ups will work well without battery, if u plug a ups to ur power source and plug ur tv to ur ups ,ur tv will come on if u have light, buu without battery ur 500watts inverter wont work, ur 500w inverter consumes more current from battery than ups
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by ceejay80s(m): 5:34pm On Jan 22, 2016
TeOwl:

i am not saying ur inverter is bad or u made a wrong choice, but....
Make i ask u one question, when u have light and ur charger dey charge and ur appliances dey on , ur battery don ever full?
Ur battery go only full if ur ur inverter dey switched off,
correct me if i'm wrong!!
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by Nobody: 6:04pm On Jan 22, 2016
ok, i get what you mean now.

ceejay80s:

i am not saying ur inverter is bad or u made a wrong chnice, but....
Make i ask u one question, when u have light and ur charger dey charge and ur appliances dey on , ur battery don ever full?
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by bishop4life(m): 10:09pm On Jan 22, 2016
Leopantro:

Network issues

Sorry for the delay bro, from the above pics I can only tell you that your charger's power has dropped(those mosfet transistors).
Change those items I labeled 3.
Good luck
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by bishop4life(m): 10:21pm On Jan 22, 2016
ceejay80s:

i am not saying ur inverter is bad or u made a wrong choice, but....

You are right bro, best option is to use ups or an advanced inverter. If at all those mini inverter can be used you will be needing a kind of change over system to switch over the battery
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by billyG(m): 2:15pm On Jan 23, 2016
Hello ceejay80s for weeks now i hav gone thru yur goodwork i must commend u 4 yur selfless service.i wanted to make my own homemade inverter,i hav a 650va & 1200va UPS,my constrain is d 20amps smart battery charger i hav gone round ph i culdnt get it,can u help me get d 20Amps smart battery charger frm lagos & send it to me via transp.company 2 Ph?
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by ceejay80s(m): 2:43pm On Jan 23, 2016
billyG:
Hello ceejay80s for weeks now i hav gone thru yur goodwork i must commend u 4 yur selfless service.i wanted to make my own homemade inverter,i hav a 650va & 1200va UPS,my constrain is d 20amps smart battery charger i hav gone round ph i culdnt get it,can u help me get d 20Amps smart battery charger frm lagos & send it to me via transp.company 2 Ph?
The 20amp charger is now 8k, u can call the man to verify, I think he has added 1i to all his products cos of dollar wahala
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by Wakeelu(m): 2:58pm On Jan 23, 2016
I have being reading the topic from the first page and I commed the ceejayb80s for this educative topic, my question is does your lcd monitor has inbuit speaker ? If no how do you receive audio from your lcd monitor. Thanks
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by ceejay80s(m): 3:27pm On Jan 23, 2016
Wakeelu:
I have being reading the topic from the first page and I commed the ceejayb80s for this educative topic, my question is does your lcd monitor has inbuit speaker ? If no how do you receive audio from your lcd monitor. Thanks
Yes it has speakers inside
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by ceejay80s(m): 3:31pm On Jan 23, 2016
Wakeelu:
Its not just an lcd monitor, it has AV input , so it must have speakers inside by force

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (357) (Reply)

Www.waptrick.com Download Game , Mp3, Music ,apps / Www.waptrick.com | Download Games | Music | Videos | Apps

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.