Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,202,074 members, 7,980,821 topics. Date: Monday, 21 October 2024 at 06:11 AM

Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child - Family (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child (91533 Views)

Is Low Self Esteem A Result Of Parental Upbringing Or Personality? / Parental Guide:the Rape Of Teenage Girls And Minors In Nigeria / Bringing Up A Multilingual(4) Kids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (44) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 9:31pm On May 01, 2009
@ Sistawoman

so how much do you usually give them in a month? do you change it based on maybe their behavior or any other similar patterns?
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 9:38pm On May 01, 2009
sistawoman:

Here is how we do allowance in our home:

the kids allowance is deposited into their savings account every month.  They are allowed to spend as they like up to the amount in the account.  Here is the catch:

The person to spend the least amount each month receives a bonus of $50.00

Each person also receives 5% interest on what is in the account at the end of each month, not including what the bank gives them.

The end result is them thinking twice and three times about what they want to spend their money on and most times deciding not to spend.

They have been so good that for the past 3 months they have all received the $50.00 bonus.

They have really stacked their cash for summer time but are only allowed $200.00 to take with them to their grandparents house, where they spend the summer.

ahhh, nice concept. Esp the bolded one, would encourage them not to overspend.

~Sissy~:

Hello My people

Would you tell your kids how to spend their allowance money you give them (if you actually do give them) ?

or Just allow them to use it on whatever they like?
Well, it depends on what they want to buy. IS IT APPROPRIATE, IS IT NOT? Think about that.

And like sistawoman put it, try to encourage them/teach them how to save.

I was never brought up with the allowance propaganda. I got money as a reward or if I asked (depended on what I asked for). When I got up to like age 14 or 15 (can't rem.) my mom opened up an acct for both of us. Where she'd annually deposit money. I think every parent should try this, it'd teach your child the concept of saving and what happens when you overspend grin grin And you'd know where/ on what your child uses her credit card from your monthly bill.
I mean, it's a pretty nice age to learn abt the banking system, how to save, consequence of spending too much, and responsibility.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by sistawoman: 10:00pm On May 01, 2009
~Sissy~:

@ Sistawoman

so how much do you usually give them in a month? do you change it based on maybe their behavior or any other similar patterns?

It is age/responsibility appropriate:

The 7 year old gets $15.00 per month

The 9 year old gets $30.00 per month

The 12 year old gets $45.00 per month

The system that i set up a year ago really makes them save save save their money.
They write down everything they spend, they check their accounts online and they tease each other when they win.
What i was finding before was that they were blowing their money. And if put in their hands they will 1. loose it 2. blow it.

Now when they have that special trip. . . or want to buy that special item they have enough saved to do it.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 2:46am On May 02, 2009
sistawoman:

It is age/responsibility appropriate:

The 7 year old gets $15.00 per month

The 9 year old gets $30.00 per month

The 12 year old gets $45.00 per month

The system that i set up a year ago really makes them save save save their money.
They write down everything they spend, they check their accounts online and they tease each other when they win.
What i was finding before was that they were blowing their money.  And if put in their hands they will 1. loose it 2. blow it.

Now when they have that special trip. . . or want to buy that special item they have enough saved to do it.

nice . .  . do you have a separate account for their "college education" or does this allowance also goes in there?

*Toyinrayo:

ahhh, nice concept. Esp the bolded one, would encourage them not to overspend.
Well, it depends on what they want to buy. IS IT APPROPRIATE, IS IT NOT? Think about that.

And like sistawoman put it, try to encourage them/teach them how to save.

I was never brought up with the allowance propaganda. I got money as a reward or if I asked (depended on what I asked for). When I got up to like age 14 or 15 (can't rem.) my mom opened up an acct for both of us. Where she'd annually deposit money. I think every parent should try this, it'd teach your child the concept of saving and what happens when you overspend grin grin And you'd know where/ on what your child uses her credit card from your monthly bill.
I mean, it's a pretty nice age to learn abt the banking system, how to save, consequence of spending too much, and responsibility.

agreed. the early the better esp. in these time and age
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 2:56am On May 02, 2009
Another Question

Do you or will you make your kids do their homework as soon as they get home from school, or let them do it later in the evening?
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by esuccess(m): 3:04am On May 02, 2009
Bringing up a child is a commitment. All human beings aspire to have an ideal child. When a child is born in a family, all members concentrate on shaping and moulding the child in an ideal manner. However, in the whole process, people forget that a child is an individual entity, who is young, innocent, energetic, experimentative and still learning
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by sistawoman: 2:44pm On May 02, 2009
~Sissy~:

nice . .  . do you have a separate account for their "college education" or does this allowance also goes in there?

They have ROTH IRA accounts for thier college funds and when thier dad pays his child support it goes into these accounts.

Also thier allowance is not a guarentee. They can be docked for failing to perform in school or at home. And there is a chart that shows what amount they will be docked for what offenses.

~Sissy~:

Another Question

Do you or will you make your kids do their homework as soon as they get home from school, or let them do it later in the evening?

When they get home they get a 15-20 minute break (it is prob. longer because I am at work when they get home), then they have snack, then they do homework, then chores.

When I get home i call for all hands on deck.  Give out hugs and kisses, check homework, check chores and send them outside to play.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by FLGators1: 3:20am On May 03, 2009
@esuccess

You talked sense. Children are commitment. Anyone scared of commitment should not bother having children.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 3:38am On May 03, 2009
FL Gators!:

@esuccess

You talked sense. Children are commitment. Anyone scared of commitment should not bother having children.

sis wetin happen, another pink slip? shocked shocked shocked
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by FLGators1: 3:41am On May 03, 2009
I don't know you ppl grin grin
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 3:42am On May 03, 2009
FL Gators!:

I don't know you ppl  grin grin

LOL . . . grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by FLGators1: 4:01am On May 03, 2009
@sissy

I'm sorry, but have we met before? cheesy
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 4:17am On May 03, 2009
FL Gators!:

@sissy

I'm sorry, but have we met before? cheesy

rofl . .  no ma'am, i think i'm having déjà vu!  grin grin grin cheesy cheesy
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by FLGators1: 4:19am On May 03, 2009
That's how they treat me o embarassed embarassed

@Sissy

Would you recommend perming and putting braids in for kids around 5/6?

Won't it damage their hairlines faster?
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 6:57am On May 03, 2009
FL Gators!:

That's how they treat me o embarassed embarassed

@Sissy

Would you recommend perming and putting braids in for kids around 5/6?

Won't it damage their hairlines faster?

i would put braids on them at that age, i think the hair damage depends on the type of braid you put on them and the caring for it . as for the relaxer, it depends, some will advise against it and tell you to let them go natural while others will be for it. IMO, it all depends on how manageable and maintainable their hair is. however, i do think the chemicals are too strong for little children scalps. i would rather buy one of those blowdryer with a comb on the end of it and use it to straighten her hair after i wash it. keeping a moisturizer in handy. and keep the relaxer at bay at least till they are older and keep doing the braids. i like CHI flat iron
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by FLGators1: 1:33am On May 04, 2009
i would put braids on them at that age, i think the hair damage depends on the type of braid you put on them and the caring for it . as for the relaxer, it depends, some will advise against it and tell you to let them go natural while others will be for it. IMO, it all depends on how manageable and maintainable their hair is. however, i do think the chemicals are too strong for little children scalps. i would rather buy one of those blowdryer with a comb on the end of it and use it to straighten her hair after i wash it. keeping a moisturizer in handy. and keep the relaxer at bay at least till they are older and keep doing the braids. i like CHI flat iron
I agree with you.

But it also depends on the the person who does the hair.

Some ppl just pull on the edges. . . .hurts and causes knots, which is kinda hard to remove without loosing hair.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 3:40am On May 04, 2009
i only do the baby type of styles on them usually do it by myself or family member or a relative i know their hands aren't painful, so their hair wouldnt hurt
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by netotse(m): 12:17pm On May 06, 2009
shocked i never knew childrens hair involved such planning o!, my cousin has someone come and make her hair or if thats not possible there's a particular salon she goes to sha
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 12:58am On May 07, 2009
netotse:

shocked i never knew childrens hair involved such planning o!, my cousin has someone come and make her hair or if thats not possible there's a particular salon she goes to sha

hehehe now u know!, u just have to make sure they look cute and that takes time at least for me tongue

one of them i have to put some candies, snacks in front of her b4 anyone touches her hair. just one of the many things i have to put up with
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by FLGators1: 3:45pm On May 10, 2009
Happy mother's day to all the mommies in the house.
You guys are well appreciated wink kiss

And to the soon be mothers (TOH and Sissy) your own will be next year.
love ya kiss kiss cheesy
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 11:10pm On May 10, 2009
wishing you same here sis. kiss kiss kiss kiss

hope u lavished ur mom cox she deserves it kiss kiss
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by FLGators1: 11:14pm On May 10, 2009
wishing you same here sis. Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss

hope u lavished ur mom cox she deserves it
Over 300 miles apart cry cry cry
But I bought sth online and had it shipped it to her. grin

Omo, she deserves more than that wink
[b]They [/b]all deserve more than that
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 11:20pm On May 10, 2009
FL Gators!:

Over 300 miles apart cry cry cry
But I bought sth online and had it shipped it to her. grin

Omo, she deserves more than that wink
[b]They [/b]all deserve more than that

haba, i thot u stayed w/her? anywzx as long as u did sth 4 her cool cool grin

yes oo they really deserve it cheesy
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by FLGators1: 11:21pm On May 10, 2009
@Secretz
Same state, diff cities wink

[s]Abi o, she come dey tell me to come home since school is over.
Was like nope lipsrsealed lipsrsealed grin[/s]
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 11:40pm On May 10, 2009
FL Gators!:

@Secretz
Same state, diff cities wink

[s]Abi o, she come dey tell me to come home since school is over.
Was like nope lipsrsealed lipsrsealed grin[/s]

hehehe sis who u dey call secretz again shocked shocked shocked embarassed embarassed

haba berra go home to her b4 loneliness will overcome her now tongue
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by FLGators1: 11:42pm On May 10, 2009
LOL, I saw her poston recent post.
and got confused grin grin
sorry

Loneliness? unlikely wink
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 11:49pm On May 10, 2009
FL Gators!:

LOL, I saw her poston recent post.
and got confused grin grin
sorry

Loneliness? unlikely wink

okie grin grin grin

but still wetin u dey still do 4 sch wen cls r over? over enjoyment no good oo cheesy cheesy grin
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by FLGators1: 12:12am On May 11, 2009
OMO, I wan enjoy my summer o
Not that I won't over there sha grin grin
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 12:23am On May 11, 2009
okie grin grin

sis have u heard 4rom Tgirl? havent seen as her in the longest time, hope nothing happen oo
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by FLGators1: 12:27am On May 11, 2009
She was online a couple of days ago

Omo girl don get belle jor tongue grin
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 12:30am On May 11, 2009
FL Gators!:

She was online a couple of days ago

Omo girl don get belle jor tongue grin

ROTFLAMO grin grin grin u no feel kill me w/laughter here oo grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Tgirl4real(f): 10:12pm On May 11, 2009
Lol @ u guys. I am sorry I have been away and I will still be away for sometym. I read dis thread a couple of days ago, but I couldn't finish up. Thanx to u all for keeping it real.

@ Sissy, who be FL Gators again? Don't tell me it's my Ebony. . . Lol.

I am trying to talk Seun into getting a co-mod. Ebony, wetin do ur ID na?

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (44) (Reply)

Lady Thanks Her Husband For Marrying Her (Photos) / My Friend Is Sleeping With His 13-Year-Old Daughter / How My 10-year-old Demonic House Girl Was Having Sex With My 2-year-old Son

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.