Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,391 members, 7,881,418 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 07:06 PM

Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude (53845 Views)

Meet Laye Ajube And Her 8 Sons And 2 Daughters (Pictured) / Mother Had Sex With Her Teen Daughter’s Husband / Kenyan Lady Sleeps With Her Best Friend's Husband, Sends Him Nudes, Gets Exposed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by Nobody: 11:26am On Aug 13, 2015
olokfor:
[img]http://3.bp..com/-dDAsbqNaIUs/VcxGTepm3WI/AAAAAAAGN8k/fgm4pvUZ634/s400/WCPO_teens_nigeria_1439181630454_22511030_ver1.0_640_480.jpg[/img]
Their dad is Nigerian, who relocated to the US and married a white American. When his sons turned 14, he decided to send them to Nigeria (where they've never been) to experience the culture and learn gratitude. Quite interesting. Read below..meanwhile, can more parents in the US do this?

A dad wanting his twin teen sons, accustomed to the comforts of the country club, to learn some gratitude took an unusual step. He sent the 14-year-olds to spend the seventh grade in Nigeria.

The boys, Noble and Evan Nwankwo, spent seventh grade at Mea Mater Elizabeth High School in Enugu, southern Nigeria. There, the day starts with 5 a.m. exercise and prayer, and continues with a 12-subject course load. There’s no help from mom on homework or washing clothes, either.

“Adversity is important in somebody’s development in life, as far as I’m concerned, because there comes a time when the storm is going to hit you, and if you never had that to fall back on you’re just going to fall apart,” Evans Nwankwo, the father, said. “I strongly believe that because it’s been important in my own development.”

Nwankwo was born and raised in Nigeria. He was one of 13 children. The family was well off. Then, the Nigerian Civil War broke out and they were running for safety and scrambling for food, and his father was killed.

He eventually made it to the U.S. and built a business. People around Cincinnati probably know Nwankwo’s work – his construction company is the go-to contractor that has worked on sites including Fountain Square, the Freedom Center and Washington Park.

As the boys were getting ready to go, things in Africa were looking bad. The Ebola outbreak was making headlines, as were attacks by the terrorist group Boko Haram on schools in northern Nigeria.
The elder Nwankwo said he had “a lot of apprehension as they were getting ready to go, a lot of anxiety.”

The boys had other concerns.

“I hope I’m not as lazy as I am now,” Noble said before leaving for Nigeria.
It looks like Noble got his wish. Besides being responsible for their studies, basic necessities like water required work to obtain.

“It was kind of eye-opening to see how much you actually have to work to get a simple bucket of water, and how you actually have to use your own strength to carry it back and forth,” Noble said. “And it’s actually pretty tough to hand-wash your clothes with that amount of water. You have to really manage it.”

“You have to be trekking all over the school just to get water to bathe with… Here you can just turn on the tap and there’ll be water flowing like it’s nothing,” Evan said. “There, you’ll, be struggling for it. Sometimes we would go without water for a couple days.”

Since returning, their dad said he’s already seen a change in his boys.

“I feel that the experience is one that will live with them forever, and they will be forever changed – maybe not on the immediate, but long term.”
Evan and Noble agreed.

“I appreciate the washing machine. I appreciate the running water. I appreciate the shower, so I don’t have to use a bucket of water in a bowl,” Noble said. “I appreciate my electronics. I appreciate my parents a lot more because I realize how much – especially my dad – I really realize how much he had to do to get here.”

Besides the actual experience, they said their dad taught them a lot as well.

“He’s taught me a lot, and he’s made me go through a lot to make me a better person, to make me a person that can just endure,” Evan said.

The trip may turn into a family tradition. Evans said he was going to put aside some money so any future grandchildren can also spend a year in Nigeria.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/us-based-nigerian-dad-sends-teen-sons-to-nigeria-to-learn-gratitude/217190/
People do this all the time, next!

1 Like

Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by RobinHez(m): 11:27am On Aug 13, 2015
99set:
Am very happy & proud to be a nairalander.
Lool...wrong thread grin
Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by Mariojane(f): 11:29am On Aug 13, 2015
onuwaje:
My father shud send me abroad to learn too na undecided
cheesy cheesy cheesy what do you want to learn there?you no dey go anywhere

1 Like

Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by Nobody: 11:29am On Aug 13, 2015
Bollinger:

The guy better tread carefully. The american govt does not play with it's citizens, especially children. They don't even recognize dual citizenship so if the kids were to complain, the question would be asked that why are they in Nigeria in the first place.

Very true. But sometimes if you no train those kids, the kain mumu way them go day do, you fit even ask God question one day.
Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by Seventeen(f): 11:30am On Aug 13, 2015
othenok:
And this made front page because? Mea mater is a school for the very rich, so these kids are yet to live Nigeria in reality. Half of the kids in the school are US born returnees so they are still mingling with kids with similar background, nothing is going to change. I know cos I have "returnee" nephews there. Absolutely nothing have changed in them.
which kain good school ('school for d rich') be dat where dem de fight for water/trekking allover before u get water/go without water for days. (the articles words oo not mine). Even my youngest sibling who graduated from secondary school years back had boreholes and solar powered electricity scattered all over their average school wey nobody know about. Am not dissing d Mea Mater school oo.. Am just wondering, dats all. smiley
Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by successinlife: 11:34am On Aug 13, 2015
daamazing:
NICE Idea!
But let the father make sure they dont join bad cliques,bad friend etc.he should keep a steay eye on them cus
#Naija_no_b_america

Hahahahahaahah, Americans teens are Million times dangerous than Naija niggers.Don't think they are going to be mugu to their teenage mate in Naija.If a child did not join a clique in the US,no be naija clique go do them nada.Ride on good dad,i did same for my first son when he started following bad congolese shoplifters,this kids will pilfer in a camera laden mall,naija boys never reach that level.
Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by wx9Z: 11:36am On Aug 13, 2015
Mind you, d school wey dem go for enugu na one of the most expensive schools for enugu o. What if dem come go d one wey I go ? When teacher dey use Igbo teach maths ( and I no dey hear Igbo )

www.yeyepikin.com for your movie news, update, reviews and lots more.
Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by alfakoro1(m): 11:38am On Aug 13, 2015
Nice one. It's good u knw Nigerians are of gratitude. ND u r a good dad.
Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by onuwaje(m): 11:39am On Aug 13, 2015
Mariojane:
cheesy cheesy cheesy what do you want to learn there?you no dey go anywhere
Is it ur learn? undecided
Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by Nobody: 11:39am On Aug 13, 2015
Not my son.
Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by missKiffy(f): 11:40am On Aug 13, 2015
gimakon:
Ibo man and morals, God bless the ibo race. #proudlyibo.
Must you tribalise the thread, smh
Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by millionboi(m): 11:41am On Aug 13, 2015
To see a hell cald a country
Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by successinlife: 11:42am On Aug 13, 2015
Dollyak:
Punishment. There are better ways to keep your child/children grounded.

No Ma. I disagree, experience is the best teacher,let them feel and taste what life is in Africa and they will be better off for it.
Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by musicwriter(m): 11:45am On Aug 13, 2015
It's a very good idea!. As a matter of fact, I will recommend this for any parent. Children should grow up in a village setting, where they'll be allowed to experience nature and the natural way things get done. If you need water you go to the stream to fetch it, if you need a fish you to to the stream to fish, if you need a fruit you go to the nearby bush, e.t.c. All these will be very beneficial to the children in future. It will make them develop a natural attitude of being self reliant, and they'll be grateful for any little thing when they get back to the US. I totally understand what their father is doing. The children will thank him later.
Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by Nobody: 11:48am On Aug 13, 2015
Nice one from an Igbo Father... But, an average yolobahMahn will kwandem Nigeria and dump their kids in that wasted West to get spoilt on wealth.

As a full-blooded omo-Yoruba, my advice is for their father not to tell them about Biafra.
Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by Nobody: 11:48am On Aug 13, 2015
You can't raise wholesome kids in the USA, you need to send them to Nigeria at least till they finish high school
Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by Nobody: 11:49am On Aug 13, 2015
Its very common here in the UK.It happened to me too. We call it shipping.
Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by Baroba(m): 11:50am On Aug 13, 2015
ronald4lif:
Interesting. Many Nigerians have been doing this especially the Yoruba. It's very important in shaping up kids lives as they tend to learn the Nigerian culture and the harsh side of life. I commend their father for taking up the initiative of sending the kids to Nigeria.

But Mea Mater Elizabeth school is one of the best in Enugu. Why not ajekpako college like St. Patrick Emene or Nike Grammar school Abakpa where they'd learn the tough life the proper way lol.

That's the school owned by the criminal Chimarokee Nnamani, a lot of Igbos in diaspora are sending their wards their, especially those in America..

He should have sent them to Union boys Awknanaw or one of those village schools run by Catholics, just like the one I attended, Marist Brothers Juniorate Okigwe.. Na there they go see fire.. Kudos to the man all the same..

2 Likes

Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by ORALL: 11:52am On Aug 13, 2015
Dollyak:

See them,you need to check your dictionary for the meaning of grounded if it correlate with this write up,I can bet my left balls that if the man wife was a nigeria,she would not allow the man to take such steps...she might even report him to the police...no wonder nigeria men are going after foreign women...
Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by PBundles(m): 11:55am On Aug 13, 2015
The school in question is not your TYPICAL secondary school as the dad is trying to portray. See below:

www.mmehs.com

Mea Mater Elizabeth High School is a private Nigerian secondary school institution. It is a boarding school. The school was opened in September 2004. It is located in the village of Ojiagu in Agbani, Enugu

The new principal is Rtd. Wing Commander Pam M. Pam. He assumed the position of principal on the 27th of June 2013. The school is divided into the Junior School, or Year 7 to Year 9, and the Senior School. Students are divided into four houses; red,blue,green and yellow. Students come from all over Nigeria, such as Lagos, Port Harcourt, Abuja and Warri. International students who may attend Mea Mater come from all corners of the world, from the U.S. and Canada to the United Kingdom to Germany and Ireland to Italy, etc.There is an entrance examination outlet and center in Abuja. for more information visit [2] Mea Mater Elizabeth High school has produced scholars who are now scattered all over the world pursuing their dreams.A student by the name Chinenye Amanze was presented an African leadership academy award.[3] the school was also noted as on of the best performed schools in Africa in the year 2011.
Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by Forwetinnah: 11:59am On Aug 13, 2015
If you've never known Lack, you'll never appreciate Abundance. Good for their Dad...Nigerian parents should do this more often, Kids brought up overseas (especially in the US) are mostly lost causes. You can imagine my niece ordering her Dad to step aside because she wants to take a snap shot alone...in a family gathering for that matter. Smh
Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by successinlife: 12:02pm On Aug 13, 2015
Baroba:

That's the school owned by the criminal Chimarokee Nnamani, a lot of Igbos in diaspora are sending their wards their, especially those in America..

He should have sent them to Union boys Awknanaw or one of those village schools run by Catholics, just like the one I attended, Marist Brothers Juniorate Okigwe.. Na there they go see fire.. Kudos to the man all the same..

Nna the purpose of sending these kids to their father's root,lineage and kinsmen is not to see fire but to learn moral values and respect,self sufficiency, leniency and above all to feel and see first hand on how things work,what and how their father struggled to get to where he is. Remember the kids were not delinquents but the father just want to prepare them for the task before them.Really good training.

2 Likes

Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by b4bola(m): 12:03pm On Aug 13, 2015
gimakon:
who tell you una get .
Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by Nobody: 12:13pm On Aug 13, 2015
there is a school like this in the north too. Key Science Academy Nasarawa. the students are mostly Governors and senators children or those who did their early education abroad. Teachers are not allowed to flog them. Cuz you don't know whose child you are flogging. the corper who flogged a student not knowing he was a senators child got sacked. during PTA or visiting day you will see the latest rides all around.
Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by Spidermon: 12:13pm On Aug 13, 2015
Nigeria is now a place you use to keep foreign based well to do children in line. What a pity
Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by ebukav(m): 12:15pm On Aug 13, 2015
Lol, send dem go beta skul, no be skul wen go spoil dem pass away, dat skul is corrupt, so corrupt,
Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by elbaraj001(m): 12:17pm On Aug 13, 2015
Bugatie:
He better send them to the village where dey go fetch firewood and stream water
Lol...wetin d man do u na?
Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by jomoh: 12:27pm On Aug 13, 2015
Dollyak:

The primary objective here is not for punishment but for the boys to learn first hand how to value, appreciate and show gratitude for things they ordinarily would've taken for granted.

The objective is for the boys to learn first hand that things don't come easy
The objective is for the boys to learn first hand that they have to work extra hard to get things they want in life.
The objective is for the boys to learn first hand that they wont always get assistance to do things they want done.

This is not about punishment. This is about getting trained and learning things that can never be taught in the US.

How do you ground a child to learn how to trek to Fetch water in the US when there's water running everywhere
How do you ground a child to learn to wash his own cloth with his bare hands when there's washing machine
How do you ground a child to appreciate Electricity when there's always constant electricity

You might be able to improvise on these lessons but it will all amount to punishment and act of wickedness on the part of the boys if they do not experience it first hand.

2 Likes

Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by Nobody: 12:28pm On Aug 13, 2015
missKiffy:

Must you tribalise the thread, smh

Heheheheheh come and marry us, no day vex. E nugo.
Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by missKiffy(f): 12:30pm On Aug 13, 2015
gimakon:

Heheheheheh come and marry us, no day vex. E nugo.
If I hear
Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by Untrollable: 12:36pm On Aug 13, 2015
gimakon:

Every other tribe does this so it's not groundbreaking. You don't have to tribal fanboy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Help! I Just Got My Colleague At Work Pregnant / How I Felt Reading Messages Between My Husband And His Mistress - Lady / I Broke Up With Her

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.