Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,381 members, 7,881,367 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 05:55 PM

Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude (53843 Views)

Meet Laye Ajube And Her 8 Sons And 2 Daughters (Pictured) / Mother Had Sex With Her Teen Daughter’s Husband / Kenyan Lady Sleeps With Her Best Friend's Husband, Sends Him Nudes, Gets Exposed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by redsun(m): 12:39pm On Aug 13, 2015
It is some kind good reality check for African children born in transit. It helps the grasps of things and see life outside virtual reality, racism,native dreams and uncertainty of not understanding who they are. It gives them something really to think about and look forward to.
Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by sylve11: 12:42pm On Aug 13, 2015
sandrel:
14yr old boy in US is a 3yr old boy in Nigeria!

Stay close to them you go beat them tire because their Mumu no be here!

lol grin cool
Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by ooshinibos: 12:49pm On Aug 13, 2015
gimakon:
Ibo man and morals, God bless the ibo race. #proudlyibo.

tribe is not linked to morals
Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by Originalsly: 12:50pm On Aug 13, 2015
Great move. Reminds me of the 2005 award winning documentary film "Boys of Baraka" ....about troublesome inner city boys from Baltimore public schools sent for two years to a pretty much remote boarding school in Kenya. Very interesting and revealing.
Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by urchmanx(m): 1:01pm On Aug 13, 2015
Once my son is 9 he is going back to Nigeria.
Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by ogbonti: 1:03pm On Aug 13, 2015
I hope they don't get kidnapped in that shit hole.
Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by just4now(m): 1:10pm On Aug 13, 2015
Their dad is right this is best way to instill discipline in these so called America born children. Is not that children born there are bad but the system itself is grossly corrupt and allowed your children dictate or you loose custody. Over there it is almost impossible to train and discipline your kids appropriately without social welfare interventions. Still, Nigerian society is fast becoming worse considering atrocities around us today. May God save us.
Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by yinkeys(m): 1:13pm On Aug 13, 2015
The statement I'll forever cling to & teach my kids in the future. “Adversity is important in somebody’s development in life, because there comes a time when the storm is going to hit you, and if you never had that to fall back on you’re just going to fall apart,” - their dad
Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by Justicealh3(m): 1:17pm On Aug 13, 2015
He just send them to nigeria to come & learn corruptions & bribe duties.
Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by Bollinger(m): 1:20pm On Aug 13, 2015
ronald4lif:

Oh I see. But the oath of allegiance doesn't invalidate a naturalized citizen nationality of their home country. If such laws are in place then it means it's not being enforced or the State doesn't regard it as there are millions of U.S. citizens with dual nationality.

The point is, it must never come to light that you have it. America does not go after some law breakers; they come to them. lets say you have a series of parking violations, the cops won't go after you but one day, you will definitely get pulled over for some minor infraction, then all your records will be put out for all to see. Same thing with this. It takes one complaint for you to get in trouble. I consider myself to have dual citizenship but i would be crazy to let them know that. The government would tax the hell outta me and probably revoke citizenship status. it's been done before.
Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by Lilimax(f): 1:24pm On Aug 13, 2015
Justicealh3:
He just send them to nigeria to come & learn corruptions & bribe duties.
huh? undecided
Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by bonechamberlain(m): 1:44pm On Aug 13, 2015
Bugatie:
He better send them to the village where dey go fetch firewood and stream water
mea matter is in enugu. inside agbani, the same village of the former governor, 10min drive to ESUT
Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by sellYourCar: 1:46pm On Aug 13, 2015
Good idea but I'ld be concerned now their routine is made public.......Kindnappers and all sorts are now aware undecided
Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by flames007(m): 2:16pm On Aug 13, 2015
Nice one from that man!but that Mea mater Elizabeth High school still sounds porshe to me.Bring dem to my area @ eleja community high school,they'll learn gratitude at an alarming rate grin
Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by Nobody: 2:20pm On Aug 13, 2015
This story is somehow related to us. My younger sister is married to an igbo man from IMO state. My sister's brother-inlaw has live in America for over 30yrs;got married and had his four children over there. they've become very disrespectful and lack morals,that they even openly insult their father. The man now decided to send his last born and only 14yr old son back home to Nigeria to come and learn some morals. He said he doesn't want him to turn out like the girls. The boy is now in boarding school in owerri. This man's second daughter who was a chronic lesbian just committed suicide last Sunday. She told her colleagues in the office that she would kill herself and she did. I don't know why its very easy for people to take their own lives these days. A 20yr old girl who drives a range rover jeep,their father has over 5 houses in the US,he makes almost 1million naira a month from each of his tenants over there,has other businesses too,so these girls lack nothing,yet they didn't feel like life is worth living without being reckless with it. A society where you won't be able to bring your child up the way you want. If you scold your child too much,they'd report you the parents to the authorities. O ga oo!
Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by santosesq1(m): 2:26pm On Aug 13, 2015
Make them nor near warri oh,cox them go kidnap them oh. Lol good intention from the father
Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by Bugatie(m): 2:27pm On Aug 13, 2015
bonechamberlain:
mea matter is in enugu. inside agbani, the same village of the former governor, 10min drive to ESUT

I know, but the school prides as one of the best in the East and the facilities in the school can compete very well with some US schools.
Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by Darrellhill: 2:37pm On Aug 13, 2015
Nigeria is better now.... I open my shower and water comes out. .. Most houses gat washing machine s... So maybe the school is in one village... Lagos shool school's r lovely
Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by Nobody: 2:44pm On Aug 13, 2015
This Nigerian father has very good intentions, but I wish he will find another school that will help mold his kids better. Mea Mater does not give kids, especially those from the US, what it is portrayed to do.

I took my kids out from that school, after one year, for another. The teachers are corrupt, the owner (Nnamani), from interaction with him, only cares about money and have no clue how to run a school for kids. In fact I made the decision to withdraw my kids after my conversation with him. And there is a high rate of turnover in the school management. The school changed their principal three times in the one year my kids were there.

The after effect of all these is reflected on the morality you see in the kids of that school. I kept wondering why so much pilfering in a school that is supposedly for the "rich".

The only good thing I saw in that school was their medical clinic. They have an in-house physician and nurses, in addition to overnight sick beds (bay) for kids that get sick.
Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by cococandy(f): 2:45pm On Aug 13, 2015
good move by him. He did what he thought was best.

I wouldn't do that though. People raise well balanced and appreciate kids all over U.S. All the time. No need to run to Africa to train them right. Except they are visiting. Which they should often.

1 Like

Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by AlphaDibia(m): 2:51pm On Aug 13, 2015
Amin

gimakon:
Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by baloney: 3:15pm On Aug 13, 2015
father is about to learn lesson dat naija is nt a counseling or child rehabilitation center.
if ....
Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by Nobody: 3:16pm On Aug 13, 2015
Their parents possibly aren't buoyant to finance their education in the USA. I think the mother made some mistake by allowing the father to send them to a nation where there is no infrastructure and technology. They aren't going to be smart at the end of the day. All he wants from them is to have them worship him as the culture of Africans dictate. That is a big shame on him!

It is completely absurd and unacceptable anywhere in a modern world. That can never happen to me. I refuse to be used as a slave for my father.
Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by xp17(m): 3:25pm On Aug 13, 2015
sandrel:
14yr old boy in US is a 3yr old boy in Nigeria!

Stay close to them you go beat them tire because their Mumu no be here!
i strongly disagree with you ma'am. In U.S , kids between the age of 14-17 already know how to make some few cash after school hours. Unlike their counterparts in Nigeria where most of them; after school hours just drop their backpacks, eat , and start roaming around the street shirtless ,with Spider-Man underwear without any useful plans.

Most Nigerian kids can't afford to support their families even when they turn 25. You see why these lads will think more reasonably and maturity more than their age mates living in the motherland.
Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by callmeotiz(m): 3:47pm On Aug 13, 2015
unapologetic:
The man Should thank God for giving him good Children o cos Some Children can be so evil. They will frustrate every effort to send them to Nigeria

You are right.
Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by Ryabcool(m): 5:14pm On Aug 13, 2015
Sinbad2:
Handsome guys;tribal war loading...
well I hope you can see who started it below

cnwokike:
Igbo kwenu. We are not like some people that will stay in the UK and be sending hate messages about other tribes in Nigeria.

We believe in hard work.
Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by chigoizie7(m): 5:33pm On Aug 13, 2015
olokfor:
[img]http://3.bp..com/-dDAsbqNaIUs/VcxGTepm3WI/AAAAAAAGN8k/fgm4pvUZ634/s400/WCPO_teens_nigeria_1439181630454_22511030_ver1.0_640_480.jpg[/img]
Their dad is Nigerian, who relocated to the US and married a white American. When his sons turned 14, he decided to send them to Nigeria (where they've never been) to experience the culture and learn gratitude. Quite interesting. Read below..meanwhile, can more parents in the US do this?

A dad wanting his twin teen sons, accustomed to the comforts of the country club, to learn some gratitude took an unusual step. He sent the 14-year-olds to spend the seventh grade in Nigeria.

The boys, Noble and Evan Nwankwo, spent seventh grade at Mea Mater Elizabeth High School in Enugu, southern Nigeria. There, the day starts with 5 a.m. exercise and prayer, and continues with a 12-subject course load. There’s no help from mom on homework or washing clothes, either.

“Adversity is important in somebody’s development in life, as far as I’m concerned, because there comes a time when the storm is going to hit you, and if you never had that to fall back on you’re just going to fall apart,” Evans Nwankwo, the father, said. “I strongly believe that because it’s been important in my own development.”

Nwankwo was born and raised in Nigeria. He was one of 13 children. The family was well off. Then, the Nigerian Civil War broke out and they were running for safety and scrambling for food, and his father was killed.

He eventually made it to the U.S. and built a business. People around Cincinnati probably know Nwankwo’s work – his construction company is the go-to contractor that has worked on sites including Fountain Square, the Freedom Center and Washington Park.

As the boys were getting ready to go, things in Africa were looking bad. The Ebola outbreak was making headlines, as were attacks by the terrorist group Boko Haram on schools in northern Nigeria.
The elder Nwankwo said he had “a lot of apprehension as they were getting ready to go, a lot of anxiety.”

The boys had other concerns.

“I hope I’m not as lazy as I am now,” Noble said before leaving for Nigeria.
It looks like Noble got his wish. Besides being responsible for their studies, basic necessities like water required work to obtain.

“It was kind of eye-opening to see how much you actually have to work to get a simple bucket of water, and how you actually have to use your own strength to carry it back and forth,” Noble said. “And it’s actually pretty tough to hand-wash your clothes with that amount of water. You have to really manage it.”

“You have to be trekking all over the school just to get water to bathe with… Here you can just turn on the tap and there’ll be water flowing like it’s nothing,” Evan said. “There, you’ll, be struggling for it. Sometimes we would go without water for a couple days.”

Since returning, their dad said he’s already seen a change in his boys.

“I feel that the experience is one that will live with them forever, and they will be forever changed – maybe not on the immediate, but long term.”
Evan and Noble agreed.

“I appreciate the washing machine. I appreciate the running water. I appreciate the shower, so I don’t have to use a bucket of water in a bowl,” Noble said. “I appreciate my electronics. I appreciate my parents a lot more because I realize how much – especially my dad – I really realize how much he had to do to get here.”

Besides the actual experience, they said their dad taught them a lot as well.

“He’s taught me a lot, and he’s made me go through a lot to make me a better person, to make me a person that can just endure,” Evan said.

The trip may turn into a family tradition. Evans said he was going to put aside some money so any future grandchildren can also spend a year in Nigeria.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/us-based-nigerian-dad-sends-teen-sons-to-nigeria-to-learn-gratitude/217190/

I ve witnessed more of this while in secondary school, many oyibo kids coming to my school, and I will be like, "what da phuck"?

Then, most of them will give the same reason, "parents wants us to come and experience life in Nigeria, and I think its fun".

Its a good thing though,
Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by chigoizie7(m): 5:49pm On Aug 13, 2015
gimakon:

Please what is "ibo". I don't know of any tribe in Nigeria called "ibo"

If u are truly an "IGBO" man, u will know that it is not "ibo" but "IGBO".

PROUDLY IGBO.
Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by ghetto101(m): 6:38pm On Aug 13, 2015
Niaja no be America, u don go America b4 ?

daamazing:
NICE Idea!
But let the father make sure they dont join bad cliques,bad friend etc.he should keep a steay eye on them cus
#Naija_no_b_america
Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by Dollyak(f): 6:42pm On Aug 13, 2015
ORALL:

See them,you need to check your dictionary for the meaning of grounded if it correlate with this write up,I can bet my left balls that if the man wife was a nigeria,she would not allow the man to take such steps...she might even report him to the police...no wonder nigeria men are going after foreign women...
okay, tell me how it doesn't correlate with the article. Your ignorance is pretty revealing
Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by melzabull(f): 8:13pm On Aug 13, 2015
olokfor:
[img]http://3.bp..com/-dDAsbqNaIUs/VcxGTepm3WI/AAAAAAAGN8k/fgm4pvUZ634/s400/WCPO_teens_nigeria_1439181630454_22511030_ver1.0_640_480.jpg[/img]
Their dad is Nigerian, who relocated to the US and married a white American. When his sons turned 14, he decided to send them to Nigeria (where they've never been) to experience the culture and learn gratitude. Quite interesting. Read below..meanwhile, can more parents in the US do this?

A dad wanting his twin teen sons, accustomed to the comforts of the country club, to learn some gratitude took an unusual step. He sent the 14-year-olds to spend the seventh grade in Nigeria.

The boys, Noble and Evan Nwankwo, spent seventh grade at Mea Mater Elizabeth High School in Enugu, southern Nigeria. There, the day starts with 5 a.m. exercise and prayer, and continues with a 12-subject course load. There’s no help from mom on homework or washing clothes, either.

“Adversity is important in somebody’s development in life, as far as I’m concerned, because there comes a time when the storm is going to hit you, and if you never had that to fall back on you’re just going to fall apart,” Evans Nwankwo, the father, said. “I strongly believe that because it’s been important in my own development.”

Nwankwo was born and raised in Nigeria. He was one of 13 children. The family was well off. Then, the Nigerian Civil War broke out and they were running for safety and scrambling for food, and his father was killed.

He eventually made it to the U.S. and built a business. People around Cincinnati probably know Nwankwo’s work – his construction company is the go-to contractor that has worked on sites including Fountain Square, the Freedom Center and Washington Park.

As the boys were getting ready to go, things in Africa were looking bad. The Ebola outbreak was making headlines, as were attacks by the terrorist group Boko Haram on schools in northern Nigeria.
The elder Nwankwo said he had “a lot of apprehension as they were getting ready to go, a lot of anxiety.”

The boys had other concerns.

“I hope I’m not as lazy as I am now,” Noble said before leaving for Nigeria.
It looks like Noble got his wish. Besides being responsible for their studies, basic necessities like water required work to obtain.

“It was kind of eye-opening to see how much you actually have to work to get a simple bucket of water, and how you actually have to use your own strength to carry it back and forth,” Noble said. “And it’s actually pretty tough to hand-wash your clothes with that amount of water. You have to really manage it.”

“You have to be trekking all over the school just to get water to bathe with… Here you can just turn on the tap and there’ll be water flowing like it’s nothing,” Evan said. “There, you’ll, be struggling for it. Sometimes we would go without water for a couple days.”

Since returning, their dad said he’s already seen a change in his boys.

“I feel that the experience is one that will live with them forever, and they will be forever changed – maybe not on the immediate, but long term.”
Evan and Noble agreed.

“I appreciate the washing machine. I appreciate the running water. I appreciate the shower, so I don’t have to use a bucket of water in a bowl,” Noble said. “I appreciate my electronics. I appreciate my parents a lot more because I realize how much – especially my dad – I really realize how much he had to do to get here.”

Besides the actual experience, they said their dad taught them a lot as well.

“He’s taught me a lot, and he’s made me go through a lot to make me a better person, to make me a person that can just endure,” Evan said.

The trip may turn into a family tradition. Evans said he was going to put aside some money so any future grandchildren can also spend a year in Nigeria.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/us-based-nigerian-dad-sends-teen-sons-to-nigeria-to-learn-gratitude/217190/
Re: Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude by daamazing(m): 8:48pm On Aug 13, 2015
ghetto101:
Niaja no be America, u don go America b4 ?

smh.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Help! I Just Got My Colleague At Work Pregnant / How I Felt Reading Messages Between My Husband And His Mistress - Lady / I Broke Up With Her

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.