Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,160 members, 7,880,632 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 11:07 PM

To Tithe or Not to Tithe? - Religion (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / To Tithe or Not to Tithe? (61795 Views)

To Tithe Or Not To Tithe: The Whole Truth From The Bible. / Ten (10) Reasons To Tithe / Jesus Is The Fulfillment Of The Law (tithing), Do I Still Need To Tithe? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (64) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by suaveaub(m): 4:10pm On Jan 31, 2006
You shall pay your tithe of the frist increase of your income.believe it or not Gods word remain the same God will not bring His standard down all in the name of one man disobedence.He is God and nothing can change His word.It is settlte forvever Amen.[b][/b][i][/i][color=#000099][/color]

from austine love.
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by Hndholder(m): 4:14pm On Jan 31, 2006
cheesy That is too Dogmatic... Akika grin!
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by chrisd(m): 4:17pm On Jan 31, 2006
If you have already read the previous two chapters on Second Chronicles 31 and Nehemiah, you will be far better prepared for the study of Malachi. This chapter will give evidence from God’s Word that the tithing texts from Malachi 3:8-10 have been interpreted and applied incorrectly by the majority of the Christian church. It will show that those who are guilty of robbing God in Malachi 3:8 are the ministering priests and not the people. Consequently, those cursed in Malachi 3:9 are the priests who are cursed for breaking the Old Covenant. When compared to Numbers 18:21-24 and Nehemiah 10:37b, the usual interpretation of "bring the whole tithe into the storehouse" has been turned into a terrible lie which, for the decency of God’s truth and for the good of Christ’s church, must stop immediately.

Although, the book of Malachi is only four (4) short chapters, many have never read it completely in one sitting. For the sake of clarity, I plead with you to carefully and prayerfully read all four chapters after reading this paragraph. While you are reading, ask yourself these questions, "To whom is God speaking in this section? When did He start speaking to this group of persons? Has He changed His address from one group of persons to another? If so, what evidence is there that He has changed from speaking to one group towards speaking to another group?" -- Please stop and read Malachi now. --
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by chrisd(m): 4:18pm On Jan 31, 2006
IMPORTANT! IN 1:6, GOD BEGINS SPEAKING ESPECIALLY TO THE PRIESTS, THE MINISTERS, AND NOT TO THE PEOPLE. FOLLOW THE PATH OF THE WORD "YOU" TO DETERMINE IF AND WHEN HE STOPS SPEAKING SPECIFICALLY TO THE PRIESTS!

SINS OF THE PRIESTS, 1:6-14

Mal. 1:6 A son honors his father, and a servant his master. If then I am a father, where is my honor? And if I am a master, where is my fear? says the LORD of hosts to you, O PRIESTS, that despise my name. And you say, Wherein have we despised your name?

Mal. 1:7 You offer polluted bread upon my altar. And you say, "How have we polluted you?"

By saying, "The table of the LORD is contemptible."

Mal. 1:8 And if you offer the blind for sacrifice, is it not evil? And if you offer the lame and sick, is it not evil? Offer it now to your governor. Will he be pleased with you, or accept your person?" says the LORD of hosts.

Mal. 1:9 But now entreat God's favor, that He may be gracious to [ALL OF] us. While this is being done by your hands. Will He accept you favorably? says the LORD of hosts. NKJV

Mal. 1:10 "Oh that there were one among you who would shut the gates, that you might not uselessly kindle fire on My altar! I am not pleased with you," says the LORD of hosts, "nor will I accept an offering from you." NASU

Mal. 1:12 "But you are profaning it, in that you say, "The table of the Lord is defiled, and as for its fruit, its food is to be despised.'

Mal. 1:13 "You also say, "My, how tiresome it is!' And you disdainfully sniff at it," says the LORD of hosts, "and you bring what was taken by robbery and what is lame or sick; so you bring the offering! Should I receive that from your hand?" says the LORD.

Mal. 1:14 "But CURSED be the swindler who HAS a male in his [the priest’s] flock and vows it, but sacrifices a blemished animal to the Lord, for I am a great King," says the LORD of hosts, "and My name is feared among the nations."

(1:6) According to 1:6 and 2:1, Malachi is most specifically addressed to dishonest ministers, that is, Old Covenant priests! These two verses, 1:6 and 2:1, are the KEYS to understanding the entire book of Malachi. These two verses actually REVERSE what most of us have been told all of our lives. As you study the remainder of Malachi, do not forget the context of these two verses. God is specifically rebuking His ministers, the priests, and not the people. The first "you" in Malachi 1:6 refers to the priests. They are guilty of dishonoring God and despising His name.
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by Hndholder(m): 4:25pm On Jan 31, 2006
Some have eyes but can not see
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by chrisd(m): 4:30pm On Jan 31, 2006
The Church's position is that "Faith should dominate," whereas sane people's conviction is that "Truth should persuade."

Note that it doesn't make sense to say (on the basis of this) that "the Church believes in Faith, whereas others believed in Truth"! Things are more complicated than that, and we have to puzzle out how things stand, under B's formulation. Let's try to pull out for inspection the CONTRASTING ASSUMPTIONS BEHIND these conflicting mperatives.

That "Faith should dominate" presupposes that

(1) belief is a function of the will;

(2) the natural will (being sinful) is too corrupt to submit itself on its own to the beliefs;

(a) that God ordains (i.e., wills us to believe), and

(b) that God communicates to man through His chosen avenues of disclosure: the Church -- and, by way of the Church's mediating scrutiny, Scripture, the authoritative writers of antiquity (e.g., Aristotle), and Nature itself.

(3) those who refuse to submit to the decrees of the Church must be reduced to obedience by force.

A will in the thrall of the flesh can be spoken to only through the body. To break the defiant will, it is necessary to break the body whose appetites hold it in subjection. Hence the rack (and, through the imagination, the threat of the rack, the garrote, the fire at the stake).

That is, Faith has no other recourse than violence when obstinate sinners take refuge, sincere or hypocritical, in "reason and the evidence of the senses" in refusing to admit what right-believers know BY faith.

That "Truth must persuade" presupposes

(1) human beings possess adquate natural faculties by which a compelling CASE FOR the truth can be recognized.

(2) these faculties are reason, imagination, and the senses.

Imagination invents different hypotheses -- i.e., ways of rationally accounting for the appearances.

Reason determines which hypotheses best accord with the appearances.

The senses put us in touch, directly and through instrumentation, with the appearances Nature affords us. These appearances both set the task for explanation (interpretation) and serve as the final arbiter among competing interpretations once their implications have been clarified by reason.

[Faith, in its aspect as "intensity of conviction," is not in itself a warrant of truth (since one can be fervently convinced of something and still be mistaken).]

(3) discovery of the truth is an inherently social enterprise:

(a) the contributions of many individuals are essential;

(b) these contributions - observational, theoretical, critical - must be synthesized and criticized by the community of inquirers.

Hence force can never serve the cause of truth: not only can it not make something true that is untrue, but insofar as human beings are fallible, the use of force to shut off discussion forecloses the possibility of future discovery of error.
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by Hndholder(m): 4:38pm On Jan 31, 2006
So all claims of TRUTH may not be right or correct?
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by chrisd(m): 4:46pm On Jan 31, 2006
Faith, in its aspect as "intensity of conviction," is not in itself a warrant of truth (since one can be fervently convinced of something and still be mistaken).
But then I began to think, what else is there that we believe? (And I thought then about the witch doctors, and how easy it would have been to check on them by noticing that nothing really worked.) So I found things that even more people believe, such as that we have some knowledge of how to educate. There are big schools of reading methods and mathematics methods, and so forth, but if you notice, you'll see the reading scores keep going down--or hardly going up--in spite of the fact that we continually use these same people to improve the methods. There's a witch doctor remedy that doesn't work. It ought to be looked into; how do they know that their method should work? Another example is how to treat criminals. We obviously have made no progress--lots of theory, but no progress--in decreasing the amount of crime by the method that we use to handle criminals.

Yet these things are said to be scientific. We study them. And I think ordinary people with commonsense ideas are intimidated by this pseudoscience. A teacher who has some good idea of how to teach her children to read is forced by the school system to do it some other way--or is even fooled by the school system into thinking that her method is not necessarily a good one. Or a parent of bad boys, after disciplining them in one way or another, feels guilty for the rest of her life because she didn't do "the right thing," according to the experts.

So we really ought to look into theories that don't work.
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by Hndholder(m): 5:02pm On Jan 31, 2006
Then the issue of GODHEAD need some investigations. How can somebody be given out free 10% of his earning to one lazy man call pastor because he is of the opinion he gave the same to GOD

For those that have not, the little they have shall be taken away from them. Who is fooling who here FOR Tithe Sake!
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by chrisd(m): 5:11pm On Jan 31, 2006
What is it about our culture that promotes mediocrity?

If you watch TV on a regular basis, you probably know you could read a teleprompter better than many of the anchors you're watching. You probably know that the spokesman or woman on your favorite cable news channel who happens to be talking about the industry you work in really doesn't understand it any better than you do.

You probably know more about sports than the guy on ESPN or on your local television station.
You're probably smarter than most of the people who got into the college you had your heart set on but couldn't get into.

If you listen to music, or more accurately, if you attend a live concert where some megabucks pop star is lip synching because she can't sing nearly as well as the music companies would have you believe, you might be thinking you can do it better.

If there's one thing "American Idol" has demonstrated, good singers don't have to hide behind the technology of a sound studio or the talents of producers who know how to use that technology.

Models are airbrushed. Radio voices are filtered. Sports stars are trained by dozens of professionals using state-of-the-art equipment, or worse, they're taking performance-enhancing drugs. Actors do dozens of takes of the same scene until they get it right. Your boss is taking credit for your work, and her boss is taking credit for her work, and so on.

The chief of police is corrupt and everybody knows it. The mayor is incompetent and everybody knows it. The Wall Street analyst is getting kickbacks or having his house wired by vendors of the company he works for, and everybody knows it.

Some of us are better than the pastor
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by Hndholder(m): 5:19pm On Jan 31, 2006
shocked They will not agree with that your submit because they are managed by blind believe. What other prove? You have said it all.
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by cheekee(f): 7:07am On Feb 01, 2006
the bible says that we are to give ten% of what we get!!!!!and by not doing so you are stealing from God!!!!when i get the bible verse i'll get back to you,but the fact ie that we are supposed to tithe on a regular basis!!!!if you don't then you are a thief!!!!!!!
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by joftech(m): 8:22am On Feb 01, 2006
@cheekee, did you bother to go through some of the posts on this thread. Instead of coming here to make uninformed Bible quoting.

Calling someone for not paying money to another mans pocket is a gravious sin. Thou shall not judge on wrong plea.
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by Hndholder(m): 8:51am On Feb 01, 2006
cheekee:

the bible says that we are to give ten% of what we get!!!!!and by not doing so you are stealing from God!!!!when i get the bible verse i'll get back to you,but the fact ie that we are supposed to tithe on a regular basis!!!!if you don't then you are a thief!!!!!!!

You shall be called fake if you failed to tell us the verse &chapter of the the bible
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by chrisd(m): 11:06am On Feb 01, 2006
Their pastors are robbing them and God and they still cannot understand that.
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by Hndholder(m): 11:35am On Feb 01, 2006
cheekee:

cheekee

Your knowledge of the Bible look questionable. The Bible say... Say what ? give us the fact if you are not fake.
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by chrisd(m): 11:40am On Feb 01, 2006
Perhaps the pastor corrupted their Bible
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by nferyn(m): 11:45am On Feb 01, 2006
And the Bible as such is in no way expressing the political context of that time?

Rather look at the meaning of the words - in context - than just at the literal transcription (which is a translation of texts in an ancient language, that is in itself an after the fact codification of an oral tradition)
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by chrisd(m): 11:49am On Feb 01, 2006
Even if one taked it literally it does not add up to what they say. They not even able to read I think
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by Hndholder(m): 12:22pm On Feb 01, 2006
"If the truth is that ugly -- which it is -- then we do have to be careful about the way that we tell the truth. But to somehow say that telling the truth should be avoided because people may respond badly to the truth seems bizarre to me." --Chuck Skoro, Deacon, St. Paul's Catholic Church

[b]How Reliable Is The Bible As A Source Of Guidance? http://www.bidstrup.com/bible.htm
If not translated and edited properly, and full of obvious errors and logical contradictions, how reliable can the bible really be as a source of guidance?
The bible suffers from four problems in this regard. First, we can't know that what we are reading are words that convey the meaning the original writers intended, because the original texts are long lost, and the best we have for most of these documents are many generations removed from the originals. That problem has been the subject of this essay, and by now it should be very clear that after the multitudinous revisions, translations and editing by at least the 150 people who produced what we now call the Bible, there's way too much room for error to safely claim that it is error free.

The second problem from which the Bible suffers is the doctrinal content of the Bible itself. As Shakespeare observed, the Bible can be made to advocate anything you desire. Want a blatant, wrathful, vengeful god, zapping everything and everyone who doesn't stay out of His way, demanding genocide, infanticide and even slavery? Exodus is the book for you. Want a harsh, strict, angry, meanspirited code for living? Can't do better than Leviticus. Want a quiet, subtle, unknowable god who seldom intervenes but can be known only by sincere prayer and soulful supplication, who is kindly, gentle and forgiving? If so, Paul has written the scriptures you want. it's all there in the same book.

The third problem is that the Bible has many contradictions and errors in it, not just of obvious facts, but of doctrine as well. This is one reason why Shakespeare was so right. If you want to justify the dashing out of brains of infants, you can find justification for it in the injuctions of God in the bible. If on the other hand, you want to justify a ban on abortion, you can find it there too. So which is it? Of course that has to be a matter of personal interpretation, and any fundamentalist who argues otherwise simply isn't reading his Bible. One has to interpret matters of doctrine for himself, because the Bible is so often directly contradictory on matters of doctrine.

A fourth problem relates to the Bible but is not of it. And that is the problem of interpretation. The same passage of the same book of the same translation of the Bible can mean entirely different things to people of different religious backgrounds. It can mean entirely unrelated things to the Mormon, to the Southern Baptist, to the Seventh Day Adventist and to the Guatemalan Catholic as well as to the African Pentacostal. Who is right? Is anyone right? Who knows? How can anyone resolve such conflicts[/b]
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by donnie(m): 5:59pm On Feb 01, 2006
The bible from which you claim your salvation is now under questioning.
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by nferyn(m): 9:26pm On Feb 01, 2006
Thinking must never submit itself, neither to a dogma, nor to a party, nor to a passion, nor to an interest, nor to a preconceived idea, nor to whatever it may be, if not to facts themselves, because, for it, to submit would be to cease to be - Henri Poincaré
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by Typewriter(m): 9:32pm On Feb 01, 2006
true word
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by Hndholder(m): 7:58am On Feb 02, 2006
donnie:

The bible from which you claim your salvation is now under questioning.

Donnie na fight? I did not say anything now just to confirm what wise men said....... Again
"If the truth is that ugly -- which it is -- then we do have to be careful about the way that we tell the truth. But to somehow say that telling the truth should be avoided because people may respond badly to the truth seems bizarre to me." --Chuck Skoro, Deacon, St. Paul's Catholic Church
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by Hndholder(m): 9:03am On Feb 02, 2006
Consider the following translations of the same passage from Matthew 6:28-29,

first from the King James Version,
then the popular "Good News Bible"
and finally from what I consider to be the translation most faithful to the original Greek,
the Richmond Lattimore translation:

King James Version of 1611: "Consider the lilies of the field how they grow; they do not toil, neither do they spin, yet I say unto you that even Solomon, in all his glory, was never arrayed like one of these."

Good News Bible (American Bible Society, 1976): "And why worry about clothes? Look how the wild flowers grow, they do not work or make clothes for themselves. But I tell you that not even King Solomon, with all his wealth had not clothes as beautiful as one of these flowers."

Richmond Lattimore Translation (Farrar Straus and Giroux, 1996): And why do you take thought about clothing? Study the lilies of the field, how they grow. They do not toil or spin, yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his glory was clothed like one of these."

Which is the more accurate translation? Donnie we need your answer
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by chrisd(m): 11:29am On Feb 02, 2006
The Bible was written in very simple language.

Present-day translations are reliable. The main objection to King James Version (KJV) is that English has changed a great deal since 1611, so we nowadays are likely to misunderstand what was, in its time, an excellent translation. RSV and NASV are good modern translations that stick close to wording of KJV. For fresher wording, use NIV.
If translations differ, you can assume the original is unclear! Look to context, not translator, for help. I would worry about a translation in which all unclear verses are nicely cleared up -- it would indicate the translator's opinions were being put in. Likewise, beware of translations with an axe to grind, such as Oxford University Press’s "Inclusive Version."
Paraphrases (Living Bible, etc.) strongly reflect the doctrinal position of the writer; translations do not.
Remember that the Bible is written in simple language (especially NT) and a translation that seems especially remote, flowery, and/or "beautiful" is, to that extent, inaccurate.
Division into chapters and verses is not in the original; it was added around 1500, to make printed editions easier to use. I do not think verses should be indented as if they were paragraphs; this encourages people to take verses out of context.
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by rotimi77: 10:56pm On Feb 03, 2006
The tithe is an Old Testament concept. The tithe was a requirement of the law in which all Israelites were give 10% of everything they earned and grew to the Tabernacle / Temple (Leviticus 27:30; Numbers 18:26; Deuteronomy 14:24; 2 Chronicles 31:5). Some understand the Old Testament tithe as a method of taxation to provide for the needs of the priests and Levites of the sacrificial system. The New Testament nowhere commands, or even recommends that New Covenant believers submit to a legalistic tithe system. Paul states that believers should set aside a portion of their income in order to support the church (1 Corinthians 16:1-2).
The New Testament nowhere assigns a certain percentage of income to set aside, but only says it is to be “in keeping with his income” (1 Corinthians 16:2). The Christian church took the 10% figure from the Old Testament tithe and applied it as a “recommended minimum” for Christians in their giving. However, New Covenant believers should not feel obligated to always give 10%. They should give as they are able, “in keeping with his income.” Sometimes that means giving more than 10%, sometime that may mean giving less than 10%. It all depends on the ability of the giver and the needs of the church. Each and every Christian should diligently pray and seek God’s wisdom for how much he or she should give (James 1:5). “Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver” (2 Corinthians 9:7).
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by suaveaub(m): 2:45am On Feb 06, 2006
Does tithing teach timeless principles and lessons even in today's modern world? How many tithes are mentioned in the Bible? What are the purposes for the tithes described in God's Word? This featured booklet will help you understand God's perspective on this vital issue.

We see tithing, then, as the opposite of a selfish approach to life. God stands prepared to support this generous approach by, in turn, blessing us in a variety of ways. He invites all to take Him up on His promise: "'Bring all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be food in My house, and try Me now in this,' says the Lord of hosts, 'if I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you such blessing that there will not be room enough to receive it'" (Malachi 3:10).

http://www.gnmagazine.org/booklets/AT/
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by Hndholder(m): 8:22am On Feb 06, 2006
suaveaub:

Does tithing teach timeless principles and lessons even in today's modern world? How many tithes are mentioned in the Bible? What are the purposes for the tithes described in God's Word? This featured booklet will help you understand God's perspective on this vital issue.

We see tithing, then, as the opposite of a selfish approach to life. God stands prepared to support this generous approach by, in turn, blessing us in a variety of ways. He invites all to take Him up on His promise: "'Bring all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be food in My house, and try Me now in this,' says the Lord of hosts, 'if I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you such blessing that there will not be room enough to receive it'" (Malachi 3:10).

http://www.gnmagazine.org/booklets/AT/

Poor you for justifying what is not real. The writer is one of those that got the message wrong. We are Nigerian in Nigeria not Jewish origin. Tithing in Nigeria is a double taxation. We pay tax to our government. Tithe in the old was as a result of lack of central elected government and they have to provide for others too. Today tithing in Nigeria is stealing. Mama and Papa church founders ride in expensive cars. They are even respected more than God, their words are taken more seriously. No wonder they can interpolate the biblical terms and come out with psychologically impregnated words from sociology. They present mere philosophical master piece. How can you ignore basic facts to deceive people in the house you call house of the lord? Is that not stealing by method?
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by cheekee(f): 12:01pm On Feb 06, 2006
the verse i said i would give is this one here[i]malachi3:8-10.[/i] if you don't give tithe you are robbing God............like it or not that's what the bible says and that's the truth that remains..........
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by joftech(m): 12:25pm On Feb 06, 2006
cheekee, why did it take you so long to come up with it.

Don't we even have something of that nature on this thread already.

That verse is like using the Tanzaniaian constitution/law to rule Nigeria and Nigerians here.
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by cheekee(f): 12:28pm On Feb 06, 2006
whatever *rolling eyes* but the truth remains at least that's what my bible tells me!!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (64) (Reply)

Hilarious Sign Board Of A Church In Ghana where they offer problems / "Man Gets Pregnant After Sleeping With His Master's Wife" - Prophet SEER 1 / Frank Edwards And Sharon Pastor Chris' Daughter Hang Out Together

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 141
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.