Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,846 members, 7,872,837 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 11:22 PM

To Tithe or Not to Tithe? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / To Tithe or Not to Tithe? (61721 Views)

To Tithe Or Not To Tithe: The Whole Truth From The Bible. / Ten (10) Reasons To Tithe / Jesus Is The Fulfillment Of The Law (tithing), Do I Still Need To Tithe? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (64) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by joftech(m): 10:25am On Aug 08, 2005
This is a Nigerian pastor's view on tithe and offering:
http://www.adventuresingod.info/money.shtml
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by bomaivy(f): 12:18pm On Aug 08, 2005
There are 3 schools of thought as far as tithing is concerneed,all of them have Bible verses to suppport their agruments.According to the Law one tenth of the produce of Oil,wine and grain and of new born animals was donated to the store house (the temple treasury).

There are 3 schools of thought as far as tithing is concerned.all of them with Bible verses to support their aguments.According to the law one tenth of the produce of oil,wine and grain and of new-born animals was to be donated to the temple Lv 27:30,Num 18:21- 24 and kept in the store house(the temple treasury.

In Neh 13:10-13 and Mal 3:8-12 the people of Judah had failed to do this and so the prophet accues them of robbing God and attributes to this the failure of their crops. If the people will pay their tithes that they owe God,He will in return,assure the abundance of their harvests.

The first school of thought use Malachl 3:8-12 as the bases fo their own agrument. While the second school disagrees.According to them we are no more under the Law(Gal 3:4-5,Romans 8:3) but under Grace.Which means nothing is earned or merited.To say that God with holds His blessings because we fail to pay tithe negates the doctrine of Grace(unmerited divine assitance or favour).

The second shool believes that we should give unto God generously and joyfully, that is with the right attitute.Without any compulsion or targets.Because God loves a cheerfull giver and our increasing generousity reflects God's glory.

Now the third school,believes that tithing existed before the law.Because Abraham paid tithe to Melchizedek in Gen 14:20. As such christains should pay tithe.
The early church placed more emphasis on sharing our possesions with the poor and needy Acts 4:32-35. While the morden church places more emphasis on giving to the church and not sharing with the poor and needy in our mist.But our Lord Jesus Christ says that "what so ever you do to the least of my brothers you do unto me Matt 25:40
This means giving to the poor and needy is giving unto God.That is to say if you do not give to the poor you are robbing God. Now judge for yourselves,should we pay tithe only or give to the poor and needy,or both.It is only when we have love that we can give to others.

True knowledge of God is keeping the commandment of love 1 John 2:3-6. And love is a fulfilling of the law Rom 13 :10b.If we have love in us,we will learn to give and share whatever God gives us with others,be it money,time or talent.Finally our lord Jesus Christ says that it is more blessed to give than to receive.
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by otokx(m): 10:24am On Aug 10, 2005
having done an extensive research on tithing; i have come to the conclusion that "tithing" is not compulsory, infact it is not relevant. The fact that you are paying it implies that you are in debt, christ has redeemed us very any claim the law may make. For the records abraham and jacob gave offerings which is defined as tithe because is 1/10 and it was not a continuous process. Look at your bible again.
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by joftech(m): 10:35am On Aug 10, 2005
Me am not against tithing, what i believe is that pastors should not be saying they are collecting the money for God since this amount to deceiving people; (or do pastors have a secret door to God's throne?). The God we can see are the poor among us Matthew 25:34-40 . In my own opinion tithes belongs to the poor.

Even in some churches where much emphasis is laid on tithe paying some of the members are poor and the church will be doing little or nothing to better the lots of these have-not.
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by WesleyanA(f): 3:55am On Aug 13, 2005
yes! pay your tithes everyone. it's used to build the church and help the poor

and it does say in the bible to do so. i just don't remember where
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by otokx(m): 7:13pm On Aug 13, 2005
few if any pastor uses tithe to establish church projects, it is used for their personal comfort. the offering will take care of the former they preach
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by joftech(m): 8:27pm On Aug 13, 2005
yes! pay your tithes everyone. it's used to build the church and help the poor

if these statements were true why all the unimaginable levies and fund raisings. and why are there so many poor church goers?
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by Tobi(m): 2:26pm On Aug 15, 2005
Hey, i think that its always expedient to understand the spirit behind the law on tithe given the nation of isreal as found in the bible.

Question: Why did God expect the isrealites to pay their tenth part?
Answer: When the Isreal got to the promised land, every tribe was given portions of land as inheritance except the tribe of Levi who were to serve as priests. They were not allowed to do anything but to be in the temple and render God exclusive service 24/7. God then commanded the rest of the nation to bring in something (tithe) to support the Levi in their service.

Ques: Are christians mandated to pay a tenth part of their earnings?
Answer: Christains are encouraged to make regular contributions to support the work of God. But How much? The widow in Jesus' day was oberved dropping in 2 coins. The Bible says that was ALL she had. That widow certainly dropped more than a tenth of what she had..she dropped EVERYTHING she had. The point is..in xtian era, God does not stipulate a specific amount of what should be contributed going by what we saw in the Christain Greek Scriptures. Just contribute towards God's service as much as u can afford for God luvs a cheerful giver.

Que: Who shld be the custodian of the money contributed?
Ans: The Congregation and not the pastor. The money does not belong to the pastor and he shld not see it as such. he shld not live in shamless luxury at the expense of the congregation and he cant spend a kobo without the conscent of the congregation.

The fact that some pastors do not work secularly is not a cogent reason for them to live off the congregation. Paul was a full apostle but he took up a vocation as a tent maker. He did not live off anybody..infact he even asked if there is anyone that can accuse him of living fat off any1 and no1 said he was taken adavantaged of by paul..the point is..even the "Full-Time" pastors do not have any reason to live in luxury at the expense of the congregation.

I pay my contributions....sometimes its more than a tenth of ma earnings sometimes it is not up to that figure but i make monetary contributions REGULARLY
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by WesleyanA(f): 5:09am On Aug 18, 2005
that was a long post but what's your opinion . to tithe or not to tithe?
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by terry(m): 5:11am On Aug 18, 2005
whats the meaning of those two words,
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by hotangel2(f): 5:20am On Aug 18, 2005
Tithe: A tenth part of one's income contributed voluntarily or due as a tax, especially for the support of the clergy or church.

But in this case, it's for church.
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by otokx(m): 4:57pm On Aug 18, 2005
some people tithe out of fear, others because they expect to be blessed; the truth is that tithing is irrelevant after the death on the cross of Jesus.
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by bootysue(f): 10:16pm On Aug 18, 2005
malachi 3:10 i think, dont laugh at me if am wrong

i can only encourage everyone to pay their tithe cos nothing secures us more than that. i have been paying my tithe for years and i have no regrets at all, infact i have numerous testimonies that will take forever to tell.
in a nutshell, if u havent been doing it, simply put God to test and come to ur own conclusion.
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by Greatpeter(m): 10:22pm On Aug 18, 2005
I have said it before it is God's command that we pay tithes but many at times we believers are not faithful about paying our tithes correctly and regularly.
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by Seye(m): 6:35pm On Aug 24, 2005
This is an information I stumbled on. I think its worth reading. Whichever side you are, there's something here for you to chew.
But let me first admonish you. Please read with an open mind.

"[A Scriptural Exposition on the Fraudulent Fleecing of the Flock]

Since first posting this tithing paper on bible-truths.com, we have had over 100,000 visitors seeking information on this topic. Many have written me personally thanking me for freeing them from this illegal and abusive practice of the Church. I have also received emails from some who are sure that tithing is a bonafide legal obligation for members of the New Testament Christian Church.

Objections to my paper range from simply quoting the prophet Malachi sent to the priests and nation of Israel: "Wherein have we robbed Thee? In tithes and offerings. Ye are cursed with a curse…." While others who can find absolutely no Scriptural authority for Christians to tithe, invent clever little doctrines like this:

"Tithing was a form of worship to God, and since we still worship God, we must still tithe."

I will answer this one in one sentence: Since burnt offerings were a form of worshiping God, and since we still worship God, must we still offer burnt offerings to God? Ridiculous.

Part II of this paper covers the Malachi prophecy more thoroughly as it concerns the subject of tithing.

This is the link to the Docu: http://bible-truths.com/
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by otokx(m): 2:53pm On Aug 27, 2005
nigerians are indeed a religious people.
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by kamakula: 3:50am On Sep 06, 2005
Jesus does say "render unto Ceasar what is Ceasar's and to God what is God's"
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by IAH(f): 7:41am On Sep 06, 2005
Question: Do I have to pay my tithe to a church? What if I choose to donate it to Tsunami, Hurricane Katrina or any other charity cause?
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by joftech(m): 3:25pm On Sep 06, 2005
Question: Do I have to pay my tithe to a church? What if I choose to donate it to Tsunami, Hurricane Katrina or any other charity cause?

My sister that's exactly what God really want.
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by mildredch: 1:34pm On Sep 07, 2005
hi lo i think that what u have just said is ture, god is the one to deside.
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by kamakula: 12:28am On Sep 16, 2005
Did God intend for you to tithe by giving to the poor or needy? That is a simple question to answer: NO.
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by Hndholder(m): 11:43am On Sep 16, 2005
definatly not as steady income to some people
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by joftech(m): 9:19pm On Sep 16, 2005
definatly not as steady income to some people

They even said some pastors take loans from banks and calculate their repayment based on expected tithes.
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by goodguy(m): 10:17pm On Sep 16, 2005
Y'all should read Malachi 3: 9 - 12
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by donnie(m): 11:08am On Sep 17, 2005
[b]A must read for u all,

Did u say Jesus or his apostles never talked about tithes?  I suggest u get a reference bible  and read carefully then u will see Jesus talk about tithes in His rebuke of the Pharasies and u will see the Apostle talk about tithes in the book of Hebrews. The question i have for u is: Are u a seed of Abraham? If u claim to be a christian, then u are claiming to be a seed of Abraham bc God cut his covenant and made his promise of salvation to abraham and to his seed. That is why we are children of God and heirs of God's glorious blessings and promises...because we are children of Abraham through christ. The bible says, " I f u belong to christ, then are u Abrham's seed and heirs according to the promise".

Galatians 3:16 -" Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ".

It also says that if u are Abraham's seed then u should walk as he did.  Abraham  remember, was given  the promises before ever the old testament began(with Moses)....And he paid his tithes before ever the old testament commanded us to do so. He did so as a man of faith and we as children of faith through him, do the same. So this is not an old testament doctrine but a fatih doctrine ok.

The old testament adopted this docttrine because there are blessings contained in it and also because they were children of Abraham according to the flesh(natural decendants). We are the spiritual children of Abrraham.

So if u ever sing that song," Abrraham's blessingas are mine" be careful because u have to be fully identified with him as your father to experience his blessings.

Besides u are pay your tithes nonetheless ...if not willingly, the devourer  takes it by force in form of sickness, accidents, un forseen circumstances, fraud, robbery etc. so be warned!

Some of you say u have been blessed already in christ...well the chrstian who died yesterday in a car accident was blessed already in christ as well. Also the one who dosn't seem to know what to do with his life as his bills far outweigh his income is also blessed in christ. You must understand that faith without works is dead. You must demonstrate your believing and your faith by your actions. Tihting tells the world, the devil and what ever force or power there may be that your money and belongings have been circumcised, seperated unto God, consecrated...u know what am saing?

God bless u as u learn Gods ways.[/b]
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by joftech(m): 8:14pm On Sep 17, 2005
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by Hndholder(m): 11:10am On Sep 23, 2005
Phylosophy to make money as Posted by donnie.
  Look from those that has not, the little they have shall be taking away from them for the reach.......

objibb (m)
NIGERIA

Re: To Tithe or not to tithe?
« #29 on: July 29, 2005, 11:49 AM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, in verse 9 of chapter 3 it says “the whole nation” is under a curse. What nation? The USA? No, the book of Malachi is specifically addressed to the nation of Israel, and more specifically to the priests (see 1:6,10-13; 2:1,7 and who were badly mistreating God’s people. To use verses from Malachi as if they are talking to Christians is at best poor scholarship and at worst dishonest
This is what I pick from the link and is a fact. If tithe can be stoped mst of the fake ...positors/pastors will go
[color=#990000][/color]
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by goodguy(m): 12:42pm On Sep 23, 2005
Tithe cannot be stopped because it was commanded by God. The fact that there are fake pastors doesn't mean we should stop following God's commands. Let's just leave them for God to judge.
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by donnie(m): 3:21pm On Sep 24, 2005
Mr. HND-Holder,

Did you say Philosophy to make money?

Since you have been eating your tithe has anyone come to arrest you...That is to tell  you that though God commands it , it is not compulsory. Just like it is not compuslory to go to heaven or to prosper or to enjoy divine health.

Talking About Malachi 3, you must understand that the Isrealites were commanded to pay tihtes because they were children of Abraham...and as such they were expected to walk as He did. We are the Spiritual Children of Abraham and as such are expected to do the same.

Hebrews 7:4 - "Now consider how great this man was, unto whom even the patriarch Abraham gave the tenth of the spoils. 5 And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham: 6 But he whose descent is not counted from them received tithes of Abraham, and blessed him that had the promises. 7 And without all contradiction the less is blessed of the better. 8 And here men that die receive tithes; but there he receiveth them, of whom it is witnessed that he liveth. 9 "

This person (melchisedec) was God Himself in form of a man...If you study correctly.

It says "...but there(refering to heaven) He(christ) recieveth[b](present continous tense)[/b] them(tithes), of whom it is witnessed that he liveth". It is witnessed by us that christ lives...and He recieves tithes from us. Dont you understand?

These are choices you make ...to walk with God by faith in His Word.

Is it  my fault that you do not understand scripture? Those who have the revelation and are obedient, putting it to work are  being blessed and as such , do not want to stop tithing.

So go ahead and eat your tithe. Do i know you? Do you attend my church? So it is really not my business whether you believe it or not.it is God's word!

Only time will tell whether it was your money or God's money you were eating abi? So go ahead and do not think that you can give me a rubb-off of that stingy nature of yours because i have gone past that level. I have been paying my tithe for years and i tell you...It WORKS!

While you still struggling  with whether  to tihte or not, others have gone past that level and have gone ahead to do big things for God that will make you marvel. Some are giving their lands, houses and cars as offerings for the furtherance of the gospel. What you are struggling to get or keep, others are giving away for the sake of the Gospel.

By the way, why are you so angry with Pastors? is it your money they are using?
Are you not ashamed that even without your money, there is so much going on in the Kingdom? people are giving their lives to Christ by the millions everyday and you are still there with your hands as tight as arradite. You know what? KEEP UR MONEY! The gospel will still go round the world in preparation for our master's return.

Maybe i should help you because i see that you have a problem with understanding prophesy and  its interpretation. Many times when you read a prophesy be careful because there is what we call the Law of Double Reference. When Prophets speak, they could speak addressing a particular people and yet at the same time, be refering to another people. They could speak as refering to the past and at the same time be refering to the future.

Jesus said that no prophesy of scripture is of any private interpretation. 2 Peter 1:20-21 - "Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. 21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost".  

For instance, When the bible talks about Isreal or Zion, many times it Prophetically refers to the Church of Jesus Christ.

Psalms 2:6 - "I have set my king on Zion, my holy hill."  

Psalms 14:7 -" O that deliverance for Israel would come out of Zion! When the LORD restores the fortunes of his people, Jacob shall rejoice, Israel shall be glad."

This deliverance came in Christ Jesus.

Psalms 20:2 - May he send you help from the sanctuary, and give you support from Zion!  

Psalms 48:2 - beautiful in elevation, is the joy of all the earth, Mount Zion, in the far north, the city of the great King.  

Psalms 48:11 - let Mount Zion be glad! Let the daughters of Judah rejoice because of thy judgments!  

This is talking about TODAY!  

You must Understand that we are the Spiritual Isreal or Zion. While they were the natural decendants of Abraham, we are the Spiritual decendants... otherwise, you have no hope of salvation.

Look at this:

Eph. 2:12 -remember that you were at that time separated from Christ, alienated from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers to the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world. 13 But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near in the blood of Christ. 14 For he is our peace, who has made us both one, and has broken down the dividing wall of hostility.

And this:

Heb 12: 22 -"But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to innumerable angels in festal gathering, 23 and to the assembly of the first-born who are enrolled in heaven, and to a judge who is God of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect, 24 and to Jesus, the mediator of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood that speaks more graciously than the blood of Abel.

So when next you see Isreal or Zion, take care, because it could just be refering to you (that is if you are born-again).
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by Enigma(m): 4:15pm On Sep 24, 2005
Hi, newcomer here

The Bible does not command Christians to tithe. There is simply no such obligation. Preachers who teach/demand tithing today do so for one out of a number of wrong reasons. The best is that he church needs money for its upkeep and to pay bills. Good as that may be it is not an acceptable reason to teach false/wrong doctrine. Better to teach the truth ---- which is that Christians should give to support the church because of their love for God and in accordance with the principle taught in the New Testament --- let each examine his heart and give out of his own ability - but not out of compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

Some teach tithing because they believe sincerely that that is what the Bible teaches. Well, they may be sincere but they are sincerely wrong. Some teach tithing simply in order to grow fat off the back of the flock; such are a disgrace.

Question: has any one heard where a tithe preacher said you should take your tithe and use it for whatsoever your own heart desires? Or has any tithe preacher said that you should take your tithe and share it with widows, orphans and strangers - instead of bringing it to "church"?

Well if they preach Malachi 3 --- ask them to expound on Deuteronomy 14:22-28!

PS most of Malachi was even a rebuke to ------ priests!!! See Malachi 2:1ff if this seems dubious.

On proper examination all the proof-texts (including Abraham in Genesis 14) used to "support" modern tithing do not stand up to the scrutiny of proper and spiritual biblical exegesis.
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by donnie(m): 4:46pm On Sep 24, 2005
Hey, new commer,

Tithes are not for beggers and widows.

That one has its own place. Let me show you why.

Tithes are to be brought to God's house and not used for any other purpose ...even for offerings. they are meant to cause the blessing ( a particular blessing...or annointing) to rest in your house. You cannot get that blessing by tking your tithe anywhere.

...besides it is God's money(not yours) and belongs in the house of God!

See this:

Numbers 18:7,8- "Therefore thou and thy sons with thee shall keep your priest's office for everything of the altar, and within the vail; and ye shall serve: I have given your priest's office unto you as a service of gift: and the stranger that cometh nigh shall be put to death. 8 And the LORD spake unto Aaron, Behold, I also have given thee the charge of mine heave offerings of all the hallowed things of the children of Israel; unto thee have I given by the reason of the anointing, and to thy sons, by an ordinance for ever".

The reason you bring your tithes and offering to the house of God is to have the power of God rest with you and your house. It by reson of the annointing (the power of God).

i advice you read my earlier postings.
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by Enigma(m): 4:59pm On Sep 24, 2005
Hi donnie

I'm afraid it simply not true that one's blessings are tied to tithing. It is sheer misinformation and based on wrong understanding of the entire gospel. It is also wrong to say that tithes are not for widows, orphans and strangers when the Bible (i.e. in Numbers, Leviticus, Deuteronomy) clearly commands in several places that it should be used for this very purpose. If you want to see the equivalent today in New Testament times let me show you in this way:

as a Christian it is very important to "give to Christ";

but how do you "give to Christ"?

well, Christ Himself told us how!

but what did He say

He said as long as you give to the hungry, the thirsty, take care of prisoners etc that you are doing this to Him (to Christ).

Ah, I see!

But do you know that He said if you give to Him you will receive and be blessed?

Oh I see, that means if I give to the hungry/thirsty/prisoner etc, since that means I am giving to Christ, that means I will be blessed?

Exactamundo!!! And do you know Christ never said that the way to be blessed is to tithe? Come to think of it none of his apostles and new testament writers said so! In fact, James the brother of Christ said that true religion is this: that we take care of orphans, widows etc.

Ah I see!

yes indeed, that is why the modern teaching of tithing actually goes against the teachings of Christ and the apostles!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (64) (Reply)

Man Bows For Pastor Sam Jaiyeola, Greets Him In Delta State (Photos) / Prophet Chukwuemeka "Odumeje" Ohanaemere's Wife And Children (Photos) / "Is This Christianity?" Lady Asks After Her Pastor Scolded Her For Wearing This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.