Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,749 members, 7,875,876 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 12:22 AM

To Tithe or Not to Tithe? - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / To Tithe or Not to Tithe? (61741 Views)

To Tithe Or Not To Tithe: The Whole Truth From The Bible. / Ten (10) Reasons To Tithe / Jesus Is The Fulfillment Of The Law (tithing), Do I Still Need To Tithe? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (64) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by goodguy(m): 12:00pm On Nov 18, 2005
As far as I pay my own tithes and God blesses me more, then I really don't know why I should bother about someone who feels tithing is another way by which pastors drain money from us. rolleyes
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by loveth(f): 3:12pm On Nov 18, 2005
@goodguy
My dear i am with you.
I really support you.
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by loveth(f): 3:18pm On Nov 18, 2005
worring myself for somebody that is not serious.
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by adesodgi(m): 7:44pm On Nov 18, 2005
who
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by otokx(m): 2:36pm On Nov 19, 2005
i am blessed of God because i have accepted Jesus as my Lord and saviour not because of Tithe
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by allonym: 6:34am On Nov 22, 2005
so then, our answer to the topics title is:

To tithe is an individual decision to be made by each christian. Ultimately, what you will do will depend on what you think of when someone says "tithe". One person's tithe could be another person's offering or donation.
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by donnie(m): 5:24pm On Nov 22, 2005
Let me tell you guys something of a truth... you can do a research on this if you like:

Those who pay their tithes do not have a problem  with paying of tithes they are not the ones complaining because they are actually getting blessed. But it is those who neither pay their tithes nor give substantially for God's work that are the greatest opponents to the doctrine of tithing.

I wonder why they are angry about tithe-paying when they are not the ones paying the tithes.

Tithe is tithe; offering is offering. They are not the same.
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by allonym: 8:45pm On Nov 22, 2005
there is little truth in your post

I'm not angry about tithe paying - I do it whenever i feel it is necessary. Like I said, some people will have one interpretation, some will have another. If anything, you're proving my post to be correct.
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by RhodaRose(f): 12:12pm On Nov 23, 2005
Yes! Yes! Yes!  Pay those tithes  grin

De 14:22-29
Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year. (not week by week)

And thou shalt eat before the LORD thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there ... that thou mayest learn to fear the LORD thy God always.

And if the way be too long for thee, so that thou art not able to carry it; or if the place be too far from thee, which the LORD thy God shall choose to set his name there, when the LORD thy God hath blessed thee:

Then shalt thou turn it into money, and bind up the money in thine hand, and shalt go unto the place which the LORD thy God shall choose:

And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after..., for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the LORD thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household.

And the Levite that is within thy gates; thou shalt not forsake him; for he hath no part nor inheritance with thee.

At the end of three years thou shalt bring forth all the tithe of thine increase the same year, and shalt lay it up within thy gates:

And the Levite, (because he hath no part nor inheritance with thee,) and the stranger, and the fatherless, and the widow, which are within thy gates, shall come, and shall eat and be satisfied; that the LORD thy God may bless thee in all the work of thine hand which thou doest.

So, at the end of three years (and only for the third year) you divide your one year's tithe (10%?) among the pastors, strangers, fatherless and widow.
Now we are "taught" by the "levites" to bring 10% (or more!) weekly just for them and we do not give any to the strange, fatherless or widow.  What's wrong with this picture?   shocked

Mt 25:31-46
When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:

And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:

And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.

Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

[center]"And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after... " but now you desire what the Father desires and you do not spend your money on "for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or (but) for whatsoever thy soul desireth"...  WOW  wink[/center]

Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:

I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.

Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?

Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.

And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Jas 1:27
Pure religion (actually "relationship"wink and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

So I say again Yes! Yes! Yes! wink  pay that tithe for all that you desire  cool

Your Friend in Michigan
RhodaRose
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by RhodaRose(f): 12:26pm On Nov 23, 2005
I have great pleasure and Glorify the Father by keeping my "tithe" on my person and when I see someone in need I have the money to help without "digging into" the 90% that God has Trusted and Blessed me with for my care as His Witness.

Mt 6:31-34
Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?
For your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.
But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

Just ME again from Michigan USA
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by otokx(m): 10:57am On Nov 25, 2005
some people carry on as if tithing is the whole duty of man, share your experience and leave the rest to dooms day.
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by loveth(f): 4:34pm On Nov 25, 2005
hmmmmmmmmmmmm
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by ijebuman(m): 5:31pm On Nov 25, 2005
all these stuff about paying 'tiithes' and getting "blessings" makes God seem like a 'Commodity trader' I don't buy it

I give what i can to charity http://www.plan-uk.org/, knowing that a child somewhere has access to water and good food is a feeling i wouldn't trade for anything....

If you got up this morning and you're in good health, you're already blessed.
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by donnie(m): 6:44pm On Nov 29, 2005
My dogs also got up this morning and are in good health grin
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by RhodaRose(f): 12:22am On Nov 30, 2005
Donnie,

Goes to show you that God cares about what we care about...
...my 5 cats are in good health also!!!   wink

HalleluYAH  smiley

Praise God  cheesy grin

RhodaRose

ijebuman,

Good for you for giving to the needy and not the church!!!   

HalleluYAH you have saw the Light

Here is a copy of part of my last post:

"I have great pleasure and Glorify the Father by keeping my "tithe" on my person and when I see someone in need I have the money to help without "digging into" the 90% that God has Trusted and Blessed me with for my care as His Witness."

You are right !!    "a feeling i wouldn't trade for anything...."

Blessings to you,
RhodaRose
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by loveth(f): 12:30pm On Nov 30, 2005
Huh tithe grin
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by RhodaRose(f): 2:28am On Dec 01, 2005
loveth,

You're a woman of few words, aren't you wink

RhodaRose
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by loveth(f): 12:16pm On Dec 01, 2005
@ Rohdarose
As if you know,
Well its true,
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by RhodaRose(f): 6:01pm On Dec 03, 2005
Something I found on internet and wanted to share with you because I couldn't have said it better myself.

Remember, when a preacher tells you that he needs your money to get the Gospel out he is saying that the Holy Spirit is subject to money and couldn’t do it without money. The Holy Spirit doesn’t need money. God can get his will done without money. He doesn’t need the money of the poor to get the gospel out. Don’t let these tithing preachers steal your money only to build a bigger church and more fancy clothing to preach in.

RhodaRose
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by goodguy(m): 6:04pm On Dec 03, 2005
I really don't think there are pastors that tell you that they need your money to get the Gospel out.
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by ijebuman(m): 7:31pm On Dec 03, 2005
goodguy:

I really don't think there are pastors that tell you that they need your money to get the Gospel out.

they are more subtle than that, they prefer to tell you 'you're robbing God if you don't pay your tithe' instead smiley
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by loveth(f): 10:07am On Dec 05, 2005
What is too big in this tithe of a thing?God gave money and ask us to give him 1/10th of it,just one of it,what is too big there that make us to argue,assuming God gave you #1000,the tithe there is only #100 thats all.I don't see what will make us not to pay it.
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by goodguy(m): 12:07pm On Dec 05, 2005
It's greed that's worrying them. They want to keep all to themselves.
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by ijebuman(m): 11:32pm On Dec 05, 2005
goodguy:

It's greed that's worrying them. They want to keep all to themselves.

Bit of a blanket statement there my man smiley
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by joftech(m): 12:55am On Dec 06, 2005
What is too big in this tithe of a thing?God gave money and ask us to give him 1/10th of it,just one of it,what is too big there that make us to argue,assuming God gave you #1000,the tithe there is only #100 thats all.I don't see what will make us not to pay it.

The Bible said "Verify all things/claims in order to establish the truth" So we must all verify if tithe paying is God's will or not.
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by donnie(m): 4:57pm On Dec 06, 2005
Allonym,

Why do you think you are in position to say who is a true Christain and who is not?

Man judges after the outward appearance but God looks at the heart. God's Word should be interpreted by those who have been annointed with the Spirit of truth.
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by ijebuman(m): 5:14pm On Dec 06, 2005
donnie:

Allonym,

Why do you think you are in position to say who is a true Can Christain and who is not?

ROFL kind of like pot calling the kettle black smiley cheesy

@@donnie
I'm sorry but just had to say something here please go and check some of your previous postings in other topics on this forum - https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-2551.32.html

and i quote some of your posts

"You do not know God's will just because He created you. Some were created, others were born of Him."

"Because we know His will. We His children are partners together with Him"

You seem to think You are in a position to say who is a true christain smiley
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by donnie(m): 6:21pm On Dec 06, 2005
Salvation is in your mouth. It is there for you to confess it for yourself.

Passage Romans 10:8-10:

But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

So your salvation is not with me, it is in your mouth through the gospel of Jesus Christ.

If you are christaian, then say it! ...speak the language of a christian because a tree is identified by its fruit.

"From the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks"

I am not the Judge but Gods Word is. Do not question its authority. Only believe... that is what we do as christians.

You can only judge what or who is right through the light of God's Word. Allign yourself and your Words with His word and we'll have no quarell here. Do not speak against His church or rejoice in her short-comings otherwise you cannot claim to be He's.
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by ijebuman(m): 6:44pm On Dec 06, 2005
donnie:

You can only judge what or who is right through the light of God's Word. Allign yourself and your Words with His word and we'll have no quarell here.

there you go again, throwing bible quotes around wink Donnie we don't have any quarrel here smiley, why should we ??
You may choose to judge but thats not my job, to each his own..

donnie:

Do not speak against His church or rejoice in her short-comings otherwise you cannot claim to be He's.

is this another quote from the bible or is this one of those quotes used to stop people from knowing what their money is used for in the church smiley
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by Van: 2:08am On Dec 07, 2005
In regard to the subject of tithing, it is beyond dispute that the apostle (meaning "envoy" or "one sent" and not an "office of authority over others"wink Paul never taught or demanded "tithes" in any of his writings to early New Covenant Christians. In fact the envoy Paul was a tentmaker, worked with his own hands, earned his own income, paid his own expenses, and coveted no man's gold or silver (Acts 20:29-34). It is indeed very strange that Paul, who was the major author of many of the New Testament books, never taught "tithing" as a requirement to following Jesus Christ, in any of his writings. The issue is not about freewill giving, but the fact that Old Testament laws such as "tithing", physical circumcision, animal sacrifices, and so forth, are not valid to Christians who follow Jesus Christ.

In his highly enlightening book "Tithing: Low-Realm, Obsolete & Defunct" (Copyright 2004), Matthew E. Narramore clearly proves through New Testament scripture that "tithing" is not only woefully misunderstood, but is a relic of ancient history, and has no place in the life of Christians in the context of the New Covenant in Jesus Christ. This great book is available FREE to read on the internet at: www.tekoapublishing.com/books/intro.html.

The Biblical truth about tithing is seriously misunderstood and wrongly taught in the institutional church system. Even in the context of the Old Testament, the majority of "pastors" do not understand tithing, and what the tithes were, and who did and who did not pay tithes, as well as who received tithes (and there were several "tithes", and the "tithes" were not money). Certain scriptures are taken out of context, and used to make Christians believe that they are "blessed or cursed" upon the basis of tithing, but that is blatantly false in the New Covenant. Matthew Narramore's book mentioned above graphically details the truth of this issue.
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by joftech(m): 6:23am On Dec 07, 2005
Van thank you for bringing another wonderful insight to this topic. I hope those that are using that Malachai chapter to deceive people on this thread will know better now that they are deceiving gullible Christians that are not ready to read the Bible themself.

The Bible has said it all
"Verify all claims in order to establish the truth".

THE TRUTH WILL ALWAYS SET YOU FREE.
Re: To Tithe or Not to Tithe? by RhodaRose(f): 9:38pm On Dec 07, 2005
Van and Joftech

Right on Brothers....speak the Truth even if no one is listening!! wink

RhodaRose

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (64) (Reply)

Prophet Chukwuemeka "Odumeje" Ohanaemere's Wife And Children (Photos) / "Is This Christianity?" Lady Asks After Her Pastor Scolded Her For Wearing This / The True Sin In The Garden Of Eden: Eve Slept With Satan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.