Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,818 members, 7,918,636 topics. Date: Monday, 12 August 2024 at 01:07 PM

N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities (15633 Views)

Why Nigerian Universities Rank Low- Buhari / Private Nigerian Universities Better Than Public Ones, Ex-governor Akpabio Says / 1998 Obasanjo Worths N20,000, Today He Worth N180 Billion ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by QuardCore(m): 12:44pm On Jul 20, 2009
@ A-town
A-town:

I don't agree with all of you.
As a matter of fact, this is the only reasonable plan that i have seen from this administration.
University education is not for everybody. Free education up to secondary school stage is enough.
If you really want to go to college, then you should have the brain for it. If you do, there are bursaries and scholarships available.
The reason we have the type of college grads that we have today is because 99% of them used EXPO to get into school.
What is the point of graduating 1 million students every year when you only have 100,000 jobs available.

If you feel you really need to go to college and you are poor and not smart enough, go get a loan.
This may seem harsh but is the best thing that will happen to the education system.
Tertiary education in Nigeria should not be FREE.
I dont blame you.You sure talk like a U.S base Nigerian. Abi you be JJC? Get loan from where? Which Nigeian bank or Nigerian govt go give you loan? I can bet my last penny that you did not go through our university system, if not, you would not have responded the way you did. Our educational system is nothing to writew home about. Why do you think our degrees are not regarded outside this country except when you want to further your education(at least yo have to prove yourself).
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by asha2: 12:45pm On Jul 20, 2009
zerocool:

@A-Town; i can see frm ur post u are mentally disturbed & need to be remanded in the psychiatry hospital. Even in some european countries where the system is working; electricity,water, employment, politics etc, cost of education is FREE FOR FOREIGNERS. This country is FU#kD, and i kip telling pple i doubt if it will ever advance, not in this generational lifetime.

Do not lose hope yet.God dey wink
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by TheSeeker(m): 12:48pm On Jul 20, 2009
Quard Core:

@ A-town I dont blame you.You sure talk like a U.S base Nigerian. Abi you be JJC? Get loan from where? Which Nigeian bank or Nigerian govt go give you loan? I can bet my last penny that you did not go through our university system, if not, you would not have responded the way you did. Our educational system is nothing to writew home about. Why do you think our degrees are not regarded outside this country except when you want to further your education(at least yo have to prove yourself).
No, I don't think he went to school in the US. Even we over here know loan is not feasible in a corruption-ridden country like Nigeria. Everything is about making money at the expense of the poor. He's simply barbaric and lives in Cotonou.
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by desthan(m): 12:52pm On Jul 20, 2009
TheSeeker:

Another PDP miscreant on the block. You say free education up to the secondary school level should be free, where's the freeness? If people want to go to college, they should have brain for it, and what has brain got to do with increase in tuition fee? You obviously are the one with brain deficiency here because your point are stupidly incoherent. Where are the scholarships? Where are the places to get loans from? MTN, GLO and other companies are busy dishing out millions to customers for bullshit that aren't worth it instead of giving scholarships in a country that boasts of poor people; so my dear friend, who will give the scholarships here? Huh? What kind of college grads do we have? Tell me. Every company openly employ people with influence and that's the way it is: You don't know anyone, you won't get a job.

There's 100,000 jobs available, who provides them? Who operates JAMB? Who operates WAEC and NECO? If they cheat at these exams, who sells out the exam papers? Quit being stupid and analyze your arguments intelligently.

WORD. Don't mind the deluded unscrupulous charlatan,
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by Nobody: 12:53pm On Jul 20, 2009
afam4eva:

What a waste of bandwidth for a retarded post. Even in the west scholarship is offered to people based on need.

Who said they can't offer scholarships based on need here.
Define Bursary!!
Stop comparing the west to Nigeria. We have our own unique problem and we need to solve it.

debosky:

Nonsense - in a country where you have virtually NO benefits from the government, the last remaining hope should be taken away?

If the government was providing roads, hospitals and power to Nigerians, then maybe we would be able to afford tuition fees. But when almost all disposable income is used to provide basic needs that the government should be providing, they have NO RIGHT to dictate fees.

Deal with the basic issues and then maybe we can consider the fees.

PS - whose fault is it that only '100,000 jobs are available'? Is it not the ridiculous government who cannot even supply power/basic infrastructure needed for job creation?

Again I say NONSENSE.

When will you guys get tired of saying the same thing over and over. Of course the govt has failed to provide basic ammenties.
Are you saying the solution is to keep the system the way it is. I repeat NOT EVERYONE IN NIGERIA NEEDS TO GO TO COLLEGE. EVERYONE HAS NEGELECTED TECHNICAL EDUCATION. It is people like you that will come here with a degree in religion and ask about job prospects?

asha 2:

@debosky

You are right you know.At times when i hear people saying only a limited amount of jobs are available in nigeria and there is no need graduating millions i ask whose fault is it?

If there was constant electricity in the country most guys i know probably might be engaged in private biz.Not everyone whats a white collar job or work for someone.
The point is that we have the problem now. A way to solve it has been provided. Would you rather keep the system the way it is.
If acceptance rates into universities drop, irrelevant majors/courses will be dropped. People would not be given useless courses because of Jamb.
The schools will be able to focus more on research. Student population will drop and the standards will become what it was in the 70's

Witi:

@ A-Town: You are suppose to be stoned to death in the Village square. You are a monster.
Point proven. Sample of a current system Nigerian Graduate.
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by Spicyboy01: 12:54pm On Jul 20, 2009
[color=Black][/color]You are a fool [[b]A-TOWN[/b][],u must have inherit ur retarded  brain from your Father, can u point out when Bank and other financial institution start giving loan for education,  when was the last time that happened in Nigeria, what are the measures put in place to ensure that student pay back their loan after graduation, or u want to tell me u are guarantee a job after completed ur eduaction.

U need to consult your Grandfather before u make any suggestion here,
[

Embodyment of Foolssss
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by philip0906(m): 12:57pm On Jul 20, 2009
afam4eva:

I now wonder how much schools like Covenant, babcock, Igbenedion and APTI american university will start collecting. It will be not only foolish but moronic for anyone to pay 180,000 for a crappy education like ours. Instead they will stick with their certificate, afterall there's really no much difference between most graduates that are been churned out on a yearly basis and secondary school leavers.
u just made a good point.cos i'm at babcock and I know how I strugle 2 pay ma fees.so imagine if government increase 2 180000,that is babcock and co will increase 2 850000 and above shocked shocked.chei God help us. angry
I will advice A-town 2 flee nairaland b4 he is eaten raw. grin grin
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by Afam4eva(m): 1:00pm On Jul 20, 2009
A-town:

Are you saying the solution is to keep the system the way it is. I repeat NOT EVERYONE IN NIGERIA NEEDS TO GO TO COLLEGE. EVERYONE HAS NEGELECTED TECHNICAL EDUCATION. It is people like you that will come here with a degree in religion and ask about job prospects?
The point is that we have the problem now. A way to solve it has been provided. Would you rather keep the system the way it is.
If acceptance rates into universities drop, irrelevant majors/courses will be dropped. People would not be given useless courses because of Jamb.
The schools will be able to focus more on research. Student population will drop and the standards will become what it was in the 70's

I don't think this is what u meant earlier.
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by Nobody: 1:04pm On Jul 20, 2009
TheSeeker:

Another PDP miscreant on the block. You say free education up to the secondary school level should be free, where's the freeness? If people want to go to college, they should have brain for it, and what has brain got to do with increase in tuition fee? You obviously are the one with brain deficiency here because your point are stupidly incoherent. Where are the scholarships? Where are the places to get loans from? MTN, GLO and other companies are busy dishing out millions to customers for bullshit that aren't worth it instead of giving scholarships in a country that boasts of poor people; so my dear friend, who will give the scholarships here? Huh? What kind of college grads do we have? Tell me. Every company openly employ people with influence and that's the way it is: You don't know anyone, you won't get a job.

There's 100,000 jobs available, who provides them? Who operates JAMB? Who operates WAEC and NECO? If they cheat at these exams, who sells out the exam papers? Quit being stupid and analyze your arguments intelligently.

Do you have a reading deficiency of some sort? An increase in fee will deter people who have no business whatsover in college.
I have only stated that loans can be given out to those who feel they have to go to school but don't have the "brain" to get a scholarship.
What does PDP have to do with this?

Quard Core:

@ A-town I dont blame you.You sure talk like a U.S base Nigerian. Abi you be JJC? Get loan from where? Which Nigeian bank or Nigerian govt go give you loan? I can bet my last penny that you did not go through our university system, if not, you would not have responded the way you did. Our educational system is nothing to writew home about. Why do you think our degrees are not regarded outside this country except when you want to further your education(at least yo have to prove yourself).

I passed through the system for sure and thats why i know what i'm talking about. What the you call a university graduate that can't write a simple career objective. They need not be in college. There are other things to do instead of wasting time in college.

TheSeeker:

No, I don't think he went to school in the US. Even we over here know loan is not feasible in a corruption-ridden country like Nigeria. Everything is about making money at the expense of the poor. He's simply barbaric and lives in Cotonou.

You over where. You better watch your mouth. I just might be the manager that you'll be sending your CV to when you finish school. Don't assume everyone here is a college student. When i was in college in the US you were probably still in diapers.
I made a suggestion. Simple enough. Whether it is viable or not is your cup of tea.

I am yet to see anyone with constructive criticism. All you do is shout, curse and blab when anyone proferrs a solution.
Rather than offer your own solution, you babies are just sitting here typing nonsense.
I'm waiting for an intellect to come up with some intelligent rebuttals here juh,
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by zerocool(m): 1:06pm On Jul 20, 2009
@all; Don't reply anymore to this A-TOWN guy. He's foul-smelling.
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by philip0906(m): 1:08pm On Jul 20, 2009
@A-town
u seem 2 b making blind statements.nd I don't think u r living in naija here.if the student population drops 4rm the current 1million looking 4 admission2 probably 180000 a year as a result of the high tuition fees.Please tell me where the remaining 820000 who want 2 go get a degree will land?u no know say robbery go quadriple?militancy go increase?so in a country like naija where joblessness is extremely high,dats not feasible.d'u know how that the number of americans that r looking 4 degrees in the US is much higher than the 1million plus we have here?yet they have a developed economy that can cater 4 both illiterates and litterates.so u have no point.
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by Afam4eva(m): 1:11pm On Jul 20, 2009
In america and the rest of the world they practically beg their citizens to go to school by offering scholarship ranging from merit based and need based but in nigeria the case is different instead of them to encourage people to go to school they scare them away by not admitting them at all, to put insult on top of a very serious injury the're now increasing the fees.

Government should not take the silence of nigerians as stupidity. One day monkey go go market e no go come back.
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by TheSeeker(m): 1:12pm On Jul 20, 2009
A-town:

Who said they can't offer scholarships based on need here.
Define Bursary!!
Stop comparing the west to Nigeria. We have our own unique problem and we need to solve it.

When will you guys get tired of saying the same thing over and over. Of course the govt has failed to provide basic ammenties.

Let's assume the standards of education will improve -- which I don't believe anyway -- what happens to the larger populace that doesn't have the opportunity of going to school? Do you have an idea that even when school is affordable, we have as many YAHOO BOYS as possible? Do you have an idea how they are spreading all over the country? Do you know how many 419ners we have? Do you know how many armed robbers this will produce? It'll produce more societal ills than the "good" they think they want to do Nigeria.

I'm try so hard not to pounce on you with insults, but has the Nigerian government ever done anything in favor of the poor? Tell me one thing they have done except not to enrich their pockets. So poor people's children will no more go to school and you think that's the best way to revamp education? By the way, you said education is not for everyone, yes, it is not but it's the government's duty to provide it comfortably now, if you choose not to take the opportunity, it's your decision. Not being able to go to college should be a choice, not because of the harsh policy of the government.

Show me an instance of where this kind of policy was used to restore educational sanity? You are definitely delusional and there's no contesting that. Let the government provide more jobs in the technical department and see if there won't be enough people in that area. I see THE NIGERIA POLICE having more workers though. Won't that be an advantage?
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by ProfKeno: 1:14pm On Jul 20, 2009
Mr President should not let us change our prayers concerning his health oh. I mean what nonsense is his administration turning into? if this happens, then this country should get ready for a civil war b/w the government and the citizenry. I'm on my way to get my correct AK47.
This government should be careful.
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by Nobody: 1:14pm On Jul 20, 2009
afam4eva:

I don't think this is what u meant earlier.
So what did i mean. Try to read well before you post.

philip0906:

u just made a good point.cos i'm at babcock and I know how I strugle 2 pay ma fees.so imagine if government increase 2 180000,that is babcock and co will increase 2 850000 and above shocked shocked.chei God help us. angry
I will advice A-town 2 flee nairaland b4 he is eaten raw. grin grin

Flee from a bunch of kids without any form of intuitive reasoning. Please.
By the way, did anyone force you to go to BABCOCK.
The truth is bitter. Being passionate will only result in people making/saying rash decisions.
There is a problem with the university system. Nigeria is graduation more than it can handle.
98% of those is schoo don't deserve to be there.
In 10yrs what will happen to technical jobs like mechanics, carpenters and so forth. No one wants to do this jobs anymore.
The reason is because everyone thinks they need to go to the university even if it means studying RELIGION as someone on this site as shown
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by butter(m): 1:16pm On Jul 20, 2009
a-town, while you definitely have a point, the fact is what you're talking about happens ONLY under ideal circumstances, not in the Nigeria of today or even 20years time(judging from the obvious lack of focus the govt. has).

right now, that policy is too premature. there's a lot that has to be in place before they should start talking about such an increase.

as debosky said earlier, the govt. just isn't doing anything, its like they're a liability of some sort. 180k in the Nigeria of today?

haba!!!, abeg o. i can't even imagine it.
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by Nobody: 1:22pm On Jul 20, 2009
afam4eva:

In america and the rest of the world they practically beg their citizens to go to school by offering scholarship ranging from merit based and need based but in nigeria the case is different instead of them to encourage people to go to school they scare them away by not admitting them at all, to put insult on top of a very serious injury the're now increasing the fees.

Government should not take the silence of nigerians as stupidity. One day monkey go go market e no go come back.
From someone who still has a US embassy interiview!!!
Let me tell you what i know from experience.
There is a difference between aid and scholarship. While there are need based scholarships, they are minute.
Why do you thin US citizens carry huge college loans after graduation.
Anyway, to address your point, the reason they have to encourage people to go to school is because the US has realized it's declining in Math and Sciences. People don't need to go to the school in the US because they have options : Entertainment, technical jobs etc.
The same can/will eventually apply to Nigeria. There are a lot of people who have skills but have thrown them away because everyone in NIGERIA must go to college otherwise you r nonone
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by presido1: 1:23pm On Jul 20, 2009
A-town:

Do you have a reading deficiency of some sort? An increase in fee will deter people who have no business whatsover in college.
I have only stated that loans can be given out to those who feel they have to go to school but don't have the "brain" to get a scholarship.
Who will give out that loan? you or a bank you established while collecting CV in US. Are u not aware that if there is anything like loan it will go to the children of those that are capable of paying the fees(Govt Stolen Fund).

[/quote]I passed through the system for sure and thats why i know what i'm talking about. What the you call a university graduate that can't write a simple career objective. They need not be in college. There are other things to do instead of wasting time in college.?[quote]
Just like the highlighted.

You over where. You better watch your mouth. I just might be the manager that you'll be sending your CV to when you finish school. Don't assume everyone here is a college student. When i was in college in the US you were probably still in diapers.I made a suggestion. Simple enough. Whether it is viable or not is your cup of tea.
The highlighted shows that you are not presently in US. How then will you be collecting CV when u are not there.

I am yet to see anyone with constructive criticism. All you do is shout, curse and blab when anyone proferrs a solution.
Rather than offer your own solution, you babies are just sitting here typing nonsense. I'm waiting for an intellect to come up with some intelligent rebuttals here juh,
You did not make any sense from all your post. The only thing i learnt from your post is that you gain from the system
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by TheSeeker(m): 1:24pm On Jul 20, 2009
A-town:

Flee from a bunch of kids without any form of intuitive reasoning. Please.
The truth is bitter. Being passionate will only result in people making/saying rash decisions.
There is a problem with the university system. Nigeria is graduation more than it can handle.
98% of those is schoo don't deserve to be there.
In 10yrs what will happen to technical jobs like mechanics, carpenters and so forth. No one wants to do this jobs anymore.
The reason is because everyone thinks they need to go to the university even if it means studying RELIGION as someone on this site as shown
I agree Nigeria is graduating more than she can handle but that's the responsibility of examination bodies -- that's why they are there. Wasn't it that students will sit for O'Level exams, JAMB and then get admitted to the university? When they found out people are using expos to get through the two stages of exams, they introduced Post-UME. Post-UME is supposed to be tough, but what happens? I hear the rich still buy their way through.

Most people that are in the university aren't supposed to be there especially courtesy of cheating at exams, but what happens to the majority that deserves a place yet, can't afford the fees? I've asked you numerous questions you fail to answer, hence, you can't defend your points wisely.
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by asha2: 1:29pm On Jul 20, 2009
@All i get the flow of A-town argurements but some basic infrastructre have to be in place before it can work.
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by Nobody: 1:32pm On Jul 20, 2009
TheSeeker:

Let's assume the standards of education will improve -- which I don't believe anyway -- what happens to the larger populace that doesn't have the opportunity of going to school? Do you have an idea that even when school is affordable, we have as many YAHOO BOYS as possible? Do you have an idea how they are spreading all over the country? Do you know how many 419ners we have? Do you know how many armed robbers this will produce? It'll produce more societal ills than the "good" they think they want to do Nigeria.

I'm try so hard not to pounce on you with insults, but has the Nigerian government ever done anything in favor of the poor? Tell me one thing they have done except not to enrich their pockets. So poor people's children will no more go to school and you think that's the best way to revamp education? By the way, you said education is not for everyone, yes, it is not but it's the government's duty to provide it comfortably now, if you choose not to take the opportunity, it's your decision. Not being able to go to college should be a choice, not because of the harsh policy of the government.

Show me an instance of where this kind of policy was used to restore educational sanity? You are definitely delusional and there's no contesting that. Let the government provide more jobs in the technical department and see if there won't be enough people in that area. I see THE NIGERIA POLICE having more workers though. Won't that be an advantage?

Firstly, i'll at least applaud you for attacking the issue and not me.
Secondly, i take that back since you also called me delusional.
Finally, why do i have to show you an instance where the policy has been used. Did i tell you that it must be used. I have only said it is the right way to go. For all i care they can decide that the tuition fee be reduced to 20naira. See if that prevents me from taking my cruise to hawaii next month kiss
Anyway, your example of yahoo yahoo is the same must people give for banning okada in lagos state. They claim a ban will result in increased robbery since the okada riders will be jobless. Give a solution, they can not. They'd rather have 20-30 people die/get injured everyday on okadas.
Nigeria can not go on putting everyone to school at the detriment of other sectors of the economy. Where are the carpenter, welders, mechanics, palm wine tappers. They are vanishing.
Is it untill we get to the point where we have 5 million people graduating with only 10,000 jobs available.
If all the 5 million people were smart or deserve to be graduates, it would be fine but the truth is that 98% of these students don't deserve to be in school. They cheated their way through just because they wanted to get a certificate.

If a higher fee is imposed, it would reduce the number of people who go to school because everyone is going to school. I doubt you would spend 200 grand to go to schoo to study a rubbish course when you can use the money to start up something for yourself.
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by philip0906(m): 1:32pm On Jul 20, 2009
@A-town
My friend u r yarning dust.The issue is not whether I was forced or not 2 go 2 babcock(cos I know what i meant when i said so),but no spaces available at the so called federal and state universities.instead of saying the government should fund those schools and add more u r supporting the government's plan 2 increase tuition fees 2 180000.How much does the average nigerian earn?where d'u get loans from?when businessmen r still strugling 2 get loans its a student who will now get loan?my friend u have no point.nd make sure u don't say this crap in the public if not , (LASU boyz will handle u). grin
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by blacksta(m): 1:33pm On Jul 20, 2009
@A town

Check this out / Your theory will only work where you have other training institutions for example apprentice schemes and not everybody wants to go university .  I dont know whether u are aware of the situation in Nigeria - Apprentice schemes or similar institutions  dont exist.
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by presido1: 1:33pm On Jul 20, 2009
asha 2:

@All i get the flow of A-town argurements but some basic infrastructre have to be in place before it can work.
That makes his ranting meaningless cuz you can never wipe the butt first before going to toilet.
Create an enabling environment first before sky-rocketing the tuition fees.
He is talking of loan, loan loan as its easy to get.

blacksta:

@A town

Check this out / Your theory will only work where you have other training institutions for example apprentice schemes and not everybody wants to go university . I dont know whether u are aware of the situation in Nigeria - Apprentice schemes or similar institutions dont exist.
Don't mind him, maybe he think that all those carpenters in US and UK just went to a road side carpenter to learn the trade. Those carpenter have their Certs(NVQ etc). Where is that training Institute in Nigeria?
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by apreshe8: 1:35pm On Jul 20, 2009
Who are those advising you, Mr President? With every misstep you take, Alhaji, you make Mr Obasanjo seem like an angel, even after he inflicted you on the already downtrodden masses! You take ineptitude to greater heights, to say the least angry

Highly unimagineable that you were a lecturer, having a first hand knowledge of the almost non-existent infrastructure in most nigerian universities,this is annoying!

N180,000 for tuition fees? shocked This one just takes the cake!
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by philip0906(m): 1:36pm On Jul 20, 2009
asha 2:

of course u will grab cos u have the oppurtunity 2 have parents that r well off or u r atleast among the 15% middle class nigerians.if not,u will definitely not grab the crap the guy is spitting. sad
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by Nobody: 1:39pm On Jul 20, 2009
presido1:

Who will give out that loan? you or a bank you established while collecting CV in US. Are u not aware that if there is anything like loan it will go to the children of those that are capable of paying the fees(Govt Stolen Fund).

Just like the highlighted.
The highlighted shows that you are not presently in US. How then will you be collecting CV when u are not there.

. You did not make any sense from all your post. The only thing i learnt from your post is that you gain from the system

I only made a suggestion about the loan. Why are you all bickering over nothing. If there is no one to give the loan, so be it.
Since when did a typo say anything about anything.
Stop being silly. I was in the US till i was transferred back home.
They don't use CV's in the US. Resumes are used.
I expect he/she will come back to Nigeria someday hence the sarcasm.

If i wasn't so jobless today, i would have stopped responding  but i won't since a lot of you just like making noise without offering any constructive criticism
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by Nobody: 1:40pm On Jul 20, 2009
Education is the only opportunity a large number of nigeria's lower classes will have to make it.

my dad was born to a poor family - today he's a doctor with three kids who are trained professionals

the best student in my class - his dad is a bicycle repairer

today he's in a bank, and he's helping his siblings move up.

education is traditionally the way that the underpriviledged better themsleves

MTN, etal are full of peps who originally came from disadvantaged backgrounds

our government is a disgrace that wants to go the way of those schools for the rich (convenant, Igbinedion etal)

bastards. its not enough that their children school abroad, and have cushy jobs in high level positions waiting for them when they come home. no. now they want to take even the meagre opportunities available to the masses.

small wonder someone from aso rock is talking like this - after all, we have several cases of governors giving out motorcycles and small generators as help to the youths to engage in self development  angry angry
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by kokoA(m): 1:42pm On Jul 20, 2009
Did I hear 180,000 naira or 180 naira. For what? This useless university system we have? Please, some one needs to talk some senses into these bunch of retards we have for leaders. I am a beliver of paying for education but not the type we are given in Nigerian universities. Excuse me.
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by TheSeeker(m): 1:43pm On Jul 20, 2009
asha 2:

Which infrastructures? Do you know what society ill this may have brought about before the said policy works, if ever? Nigeria has been practicing democracy for 10 years, what do we have to show for it? Who told you there will ever be infrastructures in Nigeria? Until we start showing rejection for these stupid policies Nigeria will continue to suffer. I study in the US and hell yes, people get loan to go to college. Where will you have that in Nigeria? If it becomes available, who gets it? Do you know that in Osun State they gave Local Government councillors' wives 1 million Naira each as loan? Tell me what they want to use that loan for?

A-town:

The effect of the increase in fee is far greater than the proposed effectiveness they are anticipating(which has never been the government's priority). More people who are supposed to be in school will not get educated. Let me solve it arithmetically for your deficient mind. Considering this in percent, about 69 percent deserve to be in school, 90 percent want to be in school hence, the 11 percent increase in people who deserve to be there and the rest 10 percent are in school because they were forced to. 20 of 90 percent of the students who really want to study can afford 180K. What happens to the rest 70 percent? Not to mention other expenses like food(which I learnt is getting more expensive everyday), transportation and clothing. There's no way they can support their parents --- I don't know of any part time job in Nigeria -- so how will they cope? If 20 percent only gets educated, where will the 70 percent turn to? I will quickly remind you that 20 percent of those who can afford this and deserve to be there, will still buy their way through the university especially the ones from the political clan.
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by Nobody: 1:46pm On Jul 20, 2009
TheSeeker:

I agree Nigeria is graduating more than she can handle but that's the responsibility of examination bodies -- that's why they are there. Wasn't it that students will sit for O'Level exams, JAMB and then get admitted to the university? When they found out people are using expos to get through the two stages of exams, they introduced Post-UME. Post-UME is supposed to be tough, but what happens? I hear the rich still buy their way through.

Most people that are in the university aren't supposed to be there especially courtesy of cheating at exams, but what happens to the majority that deserves a place yet, can't afford the fees? I've asked you numerous questions you fail to answer, hence, you can't defend your points wisely.

What questions have you asked that i haven't answered. Why r u all making it seem like this is my plan. All i have said is that the idea is right. I am yet to see anyone that has suggested a different solution to the University crisis. You all like to condemn plans but never profer solutions. Thats just sad.
Let me correct one thing in your statement. Correct that "majority that deserve a place" to minority.
The truth is that majority of Nigerian students cheat. It is not in Jamb alone. Go to the universities. They cheat all the time
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by philip0906(m): 1:46pm On Jul 20, 2009
I'm proud 2 say my uncles r graduates and I know how they all got their degrees.The first graduated 3 years back and the last one graduated 2 years back 4rm unilag.My granddad was not able 2 sponsor them 2 school.They all fought 4 themselves as the man did not bring out a dime as he had told them after they left secoundary school that he did not have the money and anyone interested in furthering would do so all alone.Those guys struggled 2 pay their fees and get something doing 2 foot their day 2 day bills. But 2 day I'm happy as both r doing fine and have jobs of their own and even take care of their old man.But u all imagine including u A-town, if tuition fees were put at this current 180000,how d'u think they would have survived?I tell u,they would not have thought of going 2 any uni and only God know what their lives would have been like now,probably armed robbers or something like that. smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Osinbajo And Okorocha Launch Trader Moni In Owerri / Olusegun Obasanjo Dances As He Celebrates His 87th Birthday (video) / FG To Remove Electricity Subsidy, Current Tariff Rates Unrealistic - Onanuga

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.