Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,792 members, 7,889,580 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 03:43 PM

N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities (15595 Views)

Why Nigerian Universities Rank Low- Buhari / Private Nigerian Universities Better Than Public Ones, Ex-governor Akpabio Says / 1998 Obasanjo Worths N20,000, Today He Worth N180 Billion ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by Nobody: 1:52pm On Jul 20, 2009
while the rest of the world is building on the true commodity ' intellectual capital'

the idiots in our government going i the opposite direction. have they learnt nothing at all from the antics of mend etal angry angry

the biggest economies in the world are not driven by resources, but by human capital.

the sad thing is that most of the children of our govt officials who will be the sole beneficiaries of this policy are silver spoon brats who have NO motivation to succeed (why should they - when daddy only needs to make a phone call? )
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by presido1: 1:55pm On Jul 20, 2009
A-town:

I only made a suggestion about the loan. Why are you all bickering over nothing. If there is no one to give the loan, so be it.
Why are u suggesting what doesn't work, are you ok at all. Loan in Nigeria is for the people that has the money already not students. Its pathetic but true.

Since when did a typo say anything about anything.
You can't even differentiate BTW typo and breaking the rule of syntax, go back and check what i highlighted, no typo there. If millions of Nigerian graduates can't make a good sentence then you fall within that bracket.

Stop being silly. I was in the US till i was transferred back home.
Hahahahaha your use of tenses opened your quash. I wonder if you have seen visa b4 cuz your reasoning/suggestions are whack.

They don't use CV's in the US. Resumes are used.
Whatz the diff BTW CV and resume? Its just nomenclature my friend.

I expect he/she will come back to Nigeria someday hence the sarcasm.
Keep your yeye sarcasm if the only thing you think of is how to put Nigerians in abject poverty.

If i wasn't so jobless today, i would have stopped responding  but i won't since a lot of you just like making noise without offering any constructive criticism
Are u sure you are employed at all?
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by Nobody: 1:56pm On Jul 20, 2009
philip0906:

I'm proud 2 say my uncles r graduates and I know how they all got their degrees.The first graduated 3 years back and the last one graduated 2 years back 4rm unilag.My granddad was not able 2 sponsor them 2 school.They all fought 4 themselves as the man did not bring out a dime as he had told them after they left secoundary school that he did not have the money and anyone interested in furthering would do so all alone.Those guys struggled 2 pay their fees and get something doing 2 foot their day 2 day bills. But 2 day I'm happy as both r doing fine and have jobs of their own and even take care of their old man.But u all imagine including u A-town, if tuition fees were put at this current 180000,how d'u think they would have survived?I tell u,they [b]would not have thought of going 2 any uni and only God know what their lives would have been like now,probably armed robbers or something like that[/b]. smiley

At least you are now addressing the issue and not throwing insults over the place.
The notion that you have to go to school is what i am addressing here. You don't have to go to college to be successful. Yes, it would increase your chance but it is not a guarantee.
If the option of going to college becomes tough, trust me Nigerians will find alternatives.
Most students spend an average of 5yrs in school. If you know you can't make it to school and start something, you'd have gained something by the time those they went to school graduate.
I am not saying this will definitely work, i have only stated that it is an acceptable idea.

@Theseker
I would have responded to you since you've started addressing the topic but i won't because you can't refrain from cursing. Your abuse won't do anything. What we need is solutions, arguments for and against. Kapeesh
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by TheSeeker(m): 1:57pm On Jul 20, 2009
philip0906:

I'm proud 2 say my uncles r graduates and I know how they all got their degrees.The first graduated 3 years back and the last one graduated 2 years back 4rm unilag.My granddad was not able 2 sponsor them 2 school.They all fought 4 themselves as the man did not bring out a dime as he had told them after they left secoundary school that he did not have the money and anyone interested in furthering would do so all alone.Those guys struggled 2 pay their fees and get something doing 2 foot their day 2 day bills. But 2 day I'm happy as both r doing fine and have jobs of their own and even take care of their old man.But u all imagine including u A-town, if tuition fees were put at this current 180000,how d'u think they would have survived?I tell u,they would not have thought of going 2 any uni and only God know what their lives would have been like now,probably armed robbers or something like that. smiley
Most dad still can't pay the current fee. Makes me wonder though, how much will state-owned university charge? 400,000? This country will end up breeding criminals. I'd advise if this happens and successfully implemented, people should study in Cote D'ivorie, Ghana, Egypt and anywhere else if they can't afford US and Europe.
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by FBS: 1:57pm On Jul 20, 2009
A-town:

I only made a suggestion about the loan. Why are you all bickering over nothing. If there is no one to give the loan, so be it.
Since when did a typo say anything about anything.
Stop being silly. I was in the US till i was transferred back home.
They don't use CV's in the US. Resumes are used.
I expect he/she will come back to Nigeria someday hence the sarcasm.

If i wasn't so jobless today, i would have stopped responding  but i won't since a lot of you just like making noise without offering any constructive criticism
Why make a suggestion you cannot back up. Why proffer a solution you have no idea of how it will work?
If you say "formal" education is not for everyone, then what do you advise they (youth) spend their time doing, yahooing?
In the US and the West, there is a system in place so that makes it easier. You have students going to school and paid stipends. Does that happen in Nigeria?
In Sweden tuition is free and well, yes, we all know it is one of the most expensive countries.
If you cannot proffer practical solution , then zip it.
You have also forgotten that parents are meant to be paying the bills whereas in the US and West, a student can actually be working and paying his fees.
In Naija, you see kids hawking and selling all sort of stuffs for the family to survive not to even talk of university fees.
Don't let us even go into the quality of education. Why should a student pay 180k for nothing?
A complete overhaul of the education system is needed. Right from the primary schools up to the Unis.
But raising the fees is no practical solution.
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by kokoA(m): 2:00pm On Jul 20, 2009
You guys should not crucify this A-town dude, he seem to have a point but he has proposed it wrongly. Yes "quality" education is worth paying 180,000 or even more for, but for now we don't have that in Nigeria now, I said "quality",so the idea of increasing fees is ill-timed. Let the leaders think of how to resolve the current problems facing our eductional sector first. They need to invest in it before expecting returns, that is how it works. So, A-town, you have a point but don't you think we won't be able to afford that now?
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by benomolu(m): 2:01pm On Jul 20, 2009
it is very unfortunate for the kind of leaders we have in this country. most of them went to school scholaship, free educational programmes. now it is there turn to give back to the nation, all they do now is to spoil the ground for the up coming youth. god is on the trone and is watching,

Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by kokoA(m): 2:06pm On Jul 20, 2009
And what's with the picture? You have just wasted space! undecided
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by Witi(m): 2:06pm On Jul 20, 2009
@A-Town: There is no issue to address here these opinion of yours is not feasible in Nigeria. Wake guy
kokoA:

You guys should not crucify this A-town dude, he seem to have a point but he has proposed it wrongly. Yes "quality" education is worth paying 180,000 or even more for, but for now we don't have that in Nigeria now, I said "quality",so the idea of increasing fees is ill-timed. Let the leaders think of how to resolve the current problems facing our eductional sector first. They need to invest in it before expecting returns, that is how it works. So, A-town, you have a point but don't you think we won't be able to afford that now?
Well said.
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by FBS: 2:07pm On Jul 20, 2009
kokoA:

And what's with the picture? You have just wasted space! undecided
abeg leave the guy o jare.  grin
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by tkb417(m): 2:11pm On Jul 20, 2009
I don't agree with all of you.
As a matter of fact, this is the only reasonable plan that i have seen from this administration.
University education is not for everybody. Free education up to secondary school stage is enough.
If you really want to go to college, then you should have the brain for it. If you do, there are bursaries and scholarships available.
The reason we have the type of college grads that we have today is because 99% of them used EXPO to get into school.
What is the point of graduating 1 million students every year when you only have 100,000 jobs available.

If you feel you really need to go to college and you are poor and not smart enough, go get a loan.
This may seem harsh but is the best thing that will happen to the education system.
Tertiary education in Nigeria should not be FREE.
are u a fool by birth?
180k for nonsense UNI edu in 9ja?
u dey crase
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by TheSeeker(m): 2:16pm On Jul 20, 2009
A-town:

At least you are now addressing the issue and not throwing insults over the place.
The notion that you have to go to school is what i am addressing here. You don't have to go to college to be successful. Yes, it would increase your chance but it is not a guarantee.
If the option of going to college becomes tough, trust me Nigerians will find alternatives.
Most students spend an average of 5yrs in school. If you know you can't make it to school and start something, you'd have gained something by the time those they went to school graduate.
I am not saying this will definitely work, i have only stated that it is an acceptable idea.

@Theseker
I would have responded to you since you've started addressing the topic but i won't because you can't refrain from cursing. Your abuse won't do anything. What we need is solutions, arguments for and against. Kapeesh

OK, I will tune down the insults. So you're saying with increment in tuition fees, there'll be an overhaul in the educational sector? How many technical schools do you know of? What policy has ever been started by an administration in Nigeria and carried forward into another administration? What good has the Nigerian Government successfully done for the poor masses? Is Nigerian education worth paying that much for? How much has the government allocated to education in the past 10 years? What do they intend to do with the rest students who won't be able to afford going to the university? How do you envisage that this will work? If they successfully put out a huge number of students out of school, how soon will their rescue plan for them --- if any will be in place --- work out? Do you have an idea how school dropouts are seen in Nigeria? Do you know what they do with themselves when they drop out? Please answer this questions and no, I won't insult you again.
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by hollandis(f): 2:19pm On Jul 20, 2009
make una chill for this AJ town guy A- town guy
He is one of the beneficiaries of the ex-leaders loot cool
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by philip0906(m): 2:22pm On Jul 20, 2009
TheSeeker:

OK, I will tune down the insults. So you're saying with increment in tuition fees, there'll be an overhaul in the educational sector? How many technical schools do you know of? What policy has ever been started by an administration in Nigeria and carried forward into another administration? What good has the Nigerian Government successfully done for the poor masses? Is Nigerian education worth paying that much for? How much has the government allocated to education in the past 10 years? What do they intend to do with the rest students who won't be able to afford going to the university? How do you envisage that this will work? If they successfully put out a huge number of students out of school, how soon will their rescue plan for them --- if any will be in place --- work out? Do you have an idea how school dropouts are seen in Nigeria? Do you know what they do with themselves when they drop out? Please answer this questions and no, I won't insult you again.
ol boy u go fear question.oya A-town over 2 u. cheesy grin grin
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by Nobody: 2:24pm On Jul 20, 2009
A little too late. I'm done with this topic.
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by presido1: 2:30pm On Jul 20, 2009
A-town:

U better b4 some people here eat you raw. Save journey to Hawaii
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by NIGboi(m): 2:33pm On Jul 20, 2009
@a-town- Where will the scholarships,bursary pays,loans and other stuff you talk about come from? Some states say bursaries of 25000. Some LG say like 2500-10000. How does that compare with 180000? That is in a situation that they pay. Others don't say at all. For those who pay, corruption almost always takes its own share. For the for companies that give scholarships, which are mainly the oil companies, few students who deserve it get. U see kids of rich folks also getting these monies. You see govt officials lobbying to put names on the lists.There goes your stupid theory
you talk of irrelevant disciplines. Give of an example of one? What did you study that makes you feel other courses are useless? Even in the US where you said you schooled-which i doubt - they offer weirder courses. You must be dumb to say that.
Sure we have too many people in our schools And we graduate many of them yearly but have you looked at the number that apply for JAMB exams yearly?How many of them get into school. Less than 30% of them do. If the number is reduced drastically, which is what you are supporting, calculate how many will be at home doing nothing. Crime will definately increase. Whose fault is it that there are on jobs? Our leaders and the masses literally pursue industries away with their corruption.The polytechnics are also filled up with people who graduate and find no jobs. So your talk is nonsense.
I think you should review your stand because you are not taking into consideration certain important details. How do we know you are not paid to write this nonsense? You claim to be matured in age but you reason like a kid. Even my little cousin does not talk this kind of nonsense. To borrow a line i saw on nairaland 'you are making an ewe look like a professor'.
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by princeparis(m): 2:34pm On Jul 20, 2009
The blame lies solely with the lecturers not the govt. When you are making demands as if you are working in Chevron or Mobil. Where do want the govt. to get money from to offset all the huge salaries, research grants, teaching aids etc. It simple elementary finance. Income must be equal to or greater than expenditure. Generate money to pay yourselves. At 180k, imagine the billions to squander in addition to petrol dollars. Now the lecturers are shouting. I though teaching was a humanistic profession not an economic one. In the US, lecturer are not paid as if they are working in the high-end corporate world. They are one of the least paid people.  But here everybody is materialistic. From the President to the street begger. Everybody want to ride jeeps, live in fancy duplexes. Nobody believes in Nigeria but want Nigeria to believe in him. The SSANU fellow is now making themselves to look like heroes of a worthy crusade against tyrant. The unions should check themselves before they wreck us all. This is one strike too many.
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by philip0906(m): 2:36pm On Jul 20, 2009
A-town:

u dey run? shocked shocked
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by TheSeeker(m): 2:38pm On Jul 20, 2009
@A-town
You said no one has talked intelligently here, well I asked you a whole lot of questions and I expected you as someone with oozing intelligence -- as you claim which you can't prove -- to answer those questions. If you had done that, we would have been talking the solutions and you'll see that Nigeria government is creating more problems when they haven't resolved the ones already in existence. So I say to you, come out of your shell now and answer these questions
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by philip0906(m): 2:41pm On Jul 20, 2009
prince paris:

The blame lies solely with the lecturers not the govt. When you are making demands as if you are working in Chevron or Mobil. Where do want the govt. to get money from to offset all the huge salaries, research grants, teaching aids etc. It simple elementary finance. Income must be equal to or greater than expenditure. Generate money to pay yourselves. At 180k, imagine the billions to squander in addition to petrol dollars. Now the lecturers are shouting. I though teaching was a humanistic profession not an economic one. In the US, lecturer are not paid as if they are working in the high-end corporate world. They are one of the least paid people.  But here everybody is materialistic. From the President to the street begger. Everybody want to ride jeeps, live in fancy duplexes. Nobody believes in Nigeria but want Nigeria to believe in him. The SSANU fellow is now making themselves to look like heroes of a worthy crusade against tyrant. The unions should check themselves before they wreck us all. This is one strike too many.
my guy no blame any lecturer oooo.4rm wetin i hear,na federal govt promise them some years back and now them don change hand.by the way no b senators wey suppose serve their country dey chop millions?so na lecturing come b humanistic proffesion as u call am?who wan suffer?how many of those leaders have their children 4 naija here?abegi "Left" those lecturers jare.
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by desgiezd(m): 2:43pm On Jul 20, 2009
Its a pity, while NANS is busy giving awards to Iwu, affordable education is slipping off their hands!!
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by desgiezd(m): 2:45pm On Jul 20, 2009
@ benomolu

What value has that picture added to the serious issue at hand!!
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by TheSeeker(m): 2:52pm On Jul 20, 2009
desgiezd:

Its a pity, while NANS is busy giving awards to Iwu, affordable education is slipping off their hands!!
NANS is a practical joke right about now as it's been transformed from student-welfarism body to a money-hunting machinating group. They are the worst disgrace. NANS are irrelevant.
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by oluajana(m): 2:54pm On Jul 20, 2009
If 180k is the minimum for our poor university education, why not opt abroad?
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by hayo(m): 3:21pm On Jul 20, 2009
Total crap.
Someone like me would not have been able to smell the walls of a University if these moronic decision was taken 12 years ago.
Instead of them to fix electricity and other problems, they are creating more and more for us.
God dey o.
Let the parents who help these idiots during polls think twice now as 2011 beckons. Isn't this enough to show that -
"All what we are saying is that, they don't even care about us"
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by azegba(m): 4:22pm On Jul 20, 2009
this is a signal to the lower class in nigeria that they are no longer needed in the higher institution. it is unfortunate that we are experiencing this hardship when both the president, the vice president and high number of the fedral cabinet were one time members of the ASUU. what a shame to the failed president! it is clear that he cannot take the country out of wood. i am very sorry for him for the history will continually remember him for,
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by Morizo(m): 5:08pm On Jul 20, 2009
My humble opinion is that Nigerians should rise against this injustice blantantly meted out on them. That our leaders has failed is no longer news, what is news is that our leaders intends to Kill us by installment hrough High blood pressure, Heart attack, schizoprenia, somnabulism and psychopapalysis(to mention but a few) as a result of too much-thinking that could lead to lack of sleep. Please our dear parents should be weary of this new threat.
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by drharry: 5:24pm On Jul 20, 2009
Hmmmm, 180,000naira for tuition in a country where minimum wage is a pittance.
Most likely those who made the decision are politicians whose " bathroom allowance" is a little above that figure.
may God help us
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by Beline(f): 5:35pm On Jul 20, 2009
If this bill is pass, trust me there will be war angry sad angry sad
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by princeparis(m): 5:57pm On Jul 20, 2009
Anyway another election is around d corner let the average naija vote his conscience without collecting money for his vote then we might have a chance to right some of the wrongs of our leaders. All of our current leadership are not just credible. I fear for Nigeria. If not we will be sending our children to nursery school in Cotonou, primary in Niger, secondary in Chad and college in Cameroon.
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by dipo2much(m): 6:01pm On Jul 20, 2009
I knew the FG was driving at something. So this is their plan. Now,we must work and study to go to school. Even without working ,see the quality of gradutes coming out of nigerian universities. So what when u have to leave school for work each day. Just to get this CERTIFICATE

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

We Will Never Buy Votes In Any Election-pdp To APC / Atiku Supporters Group Dumps Atiku, Endorses Buhari (Video) / Igbo Group Gives 90 Days To South East Governors To Launch Security Outfit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.