Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,068 members, 7,973,626 topics. Date: Saturday, 12 October 2024 at 09:28 PM

Breaking News! Onovo Finally Appointed Inspector General - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Breaking News! Onovo Finally Appointed Inspector General (5252 Views)

Nigerians React To Martin Onovo's Interview On Channels Today - Video / Inspector General Of Police Restores Tambuwal’s Security Aides / Gov Fashola Meets Mbu, Assistant Inspector General Of Police(Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Breaking News! Onovo Finally Appointed Inspector General by BlackRevo: 10:04pm On Jul 23, 2009
Saharareporters can confirm that the most senior police officer in the Nigeria Police Force was today selected to take over from the outgoing Inspector General of police, Mike Okiro, who is embroiled in an embarrassing forgery case on his way out. The newly appointed Inspector-General of Police is Mr. Ogbonna Okechukwu Onovo, who is currently a Deputy Inspector-General.

More to come,

http://saharareporters.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3286:just-in-yaradua-appoints-onovo-as-inspector-general-of-police&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=18
Re: Breaking News! Onovo Finally Appointed Inspector General by Fhemmmy: 10:05pm On Jul 23, 2009
cant say much, cos dont even know the Onovo guy.
Re: Breaking News! Onovo Finally Appointed Inspector General by benchuks(m): 10:20pm On Jul 23, 2009
finally,Yar'dua has broken the jinx by appointing Onovo,as the first ever IG of Igbo extraction.this is a commendable feat and must be appreciated and commended.wishing Onovo a more fruitful service to our fatherland.
Re: Breaking News! Onovo Finally Appointed Inspector General by MrCrackles(m): 10:23pm On Jul 23, 2009
undecided
Re: Breaking News! Onovo Finally Appointed Inspector General by asha80(m): 10:26pm On Jul 23, 2009
@Mr crackles

Off topic

That chic for ur profile na child abuse cool
Re: Breaking News! Onovo Finally Appointed Inspector General by blacksta(m): 10:29pm On Jul 23, 2009
Historically police IGs have turned out to be thieves - So i welcome the last thief in town.
Re: Breaking News! Onovo Finally Appointed Inspector General by Nobody: 10:43pm On Jul 23, 2009
benchuks:

finally,Yar'dua has broken the jinx by appointing Onovo,as the first ever IG of Igbo extraction.this is a commendable feat and must be appreciated and commended.wishing Onovo a more fruitful service to our fatherland.

not very impressed

I guess he was appointed for accepting his previous humiliation

I hope he does not get humiliated in the next 1 week again

Yar'adua has not broken any jinx, in fact he is the first President in History who announced an IG and changed his mind within 24hrs on nothing but tribal grounds.

Now that they think the man might be very supple he is now a very good candidate. What chaged in the last 2 years.
Re: Breaking News! Onovo Finally Appointed Inspector General by nex(m): 10:48pm On Jul 23, 2009
Finally, a man that knows his job. I don't know him personally, but he's the second Nigerian policeman alive who's ever given his email address to the public and actually replied my complaint.

All the same, I see no reason why this should be commended. He's the highest ranking officer and It's only due that he takes the position. Should we also commend Yar'Adua for wearing his clothes before he comes out in public? People get commended for going out of their way to do the undoable.
Re: Breaking News! Onovo Finally Appointed Inspector General by adigun101: 12:36am On Jul 24, 2009
benchuks:

I thought Okiro was Igbo. This whole Igbo thing is beginning to confuse me.
Re: Breaking News! Onovo Finally Appointed Inspector General by Ijawman(m): 1:02am On Jul 24, 2009
Igbo people sef, when it suits them Okiro is Igbo when it does not suit them Okiro is not Igbo. Or are they trying to differentiate between Igbo and south east? Because the  Okiro I know is a proper Igbo man, although from the south south. So far, three of the last IGs have been proven to have sticky fingers with money. Okiro borrowed millions of money from bank and did not pay, therefore contributing to the colapse of the said bank. He also impersonated during the whole process.

Re: Breaking News! Onovo Finally Appointed Inspector General by Nobody: 1:59am On Jul 24, 2009
When u r opportune,dont let enter ur head.IGP are known for scandals after service.I hope onovo wil not go after okiro.Anyhw Onovo,congrats but ur task is enormous because ur boys are notorious.Jst some hours before ur confirmation,one of ur boys killed a man in okada,Edo state.Welcome aboard IG.Anything 4 boys
Re: Breaking News! Onovo Finally Appointed Inspector General by Nobody: 2:07am On Jul 24, 2009
Ijawman:

Igbo people sef, when it suits them Okiro is Igbo when it does not suit them Okiro is not Igbo. Or are they trying to differentiate between Igbo and south east? Because the Okiro I know is a proper Igbo man, although from the south south. So far, three of the last IGs have been proven to have sticky fingers with money. Okiro borrowed millions of money from bank and did not pay, therefore contributing to the colapse of the said bank. He also impersonated during the whole process.

Igbos did not start the differentiation, Yar'adua did

and at the time, folks like you celebrated the discrimination.
Re: Breaking News! Onovo Finally Appointed Inspector General by Afaukwu: 2:11am On Jul 24, 2009
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNUUUUUUUUUUU
Ooooooooonnnnnnnnooooooovvvvvvooooo kwenu
Re: Breaking News! Onovo Finally Appointed Inspector General by Nobody: 2:34am On Jul 24, 2009
Afaukwu:

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNUUUUUUUUUUU
Ooooooooonnnnnnnnooooooovvvvvvooooo kwenu

no need for that either

the igbos did not collectively put him there. The man qualified on his own merit and his appointment should ideally attract not special celebration from the South East.

Police job is very complicated in Naija, there is a Herculean task awaiting this man, he will inherit a mess in the name of a police force, so the danger of a special celebration from the South East is if he fails we will have a duty to own his failure.

ONOVO is serving Nigeria and not South East, he has a lot of work to do, we can only wish him luck.
Re: Breaking News! Onovo Finally Appointed Inspector General by naijaking1: 2:44am On Jul 24, 2009
mikeansy:

no need for that either

the igbos did not collectively put him there. The man qualified on his own merit and his appointment should ideally attract not special celebration from the South East.

Police job is very complicated in Naija, there is a Herculean task awaiting this man, he will inherit a mess in the name of a police force, so the danger of a special celebration from the South East is if he fails we will have a duty to own his failure.

ONOVO is serving Nigeria and not South East, he has a lot of work to do, we can only wish him luck.

Well said
Re: Breaking News! Onovo Finally Appointed Inspector General by keyremotes(m): 3:32am On Jul 24, 2009
Will he turn out like the rest?
Or do his job "differently" like the Fashola's of this Nation?

Fashola has shown we can succeed if we think differently from the regular.
Re: Breaking News! Onovo Finally Appointed Inspector General by sley4life(m): 4:08am On Jul 24, 2009
lets wait & see what Onovo has for us.
Re: Breaking News! Onovo Finally Appointed Inspector General by sley4life(m): 4:09am On Jul 24, 2009
Okiro must settle his debts b4 leaving.
Re: Breaking News! Onovo Finally Appointed Inspector General by Nobody: 10:53am On Jul 24, 2009
get ready for a 100% increase in crime.
Re: Breaking News! Onovo Finally Appointed Inspector General by frankkky: 10:53am On Jul 24, 2009
okiro owing money is his personal business,haba we should know when to draw the lines,it is not public money here we are talking about so whats our own?let him and the bank sort themselves out,he didnt rob the bank he took a loan for christsake
Re: Breaking News! Onovo Finally Appointed Inspector General by SamMilla1(m): 10:54am On Jul 24, 2009
The president actually did somehing right for once
Re: Breaking News! Onovo Finally Appointed Inspector General by DisGuy: 11:02am On Jul 24, 2009
adigun101:

I thought Okiro was Igbo. This whole Igbo thing is beginning to confuse me.

Not only you my brother! apparently some are more igbo than others  undecided

blacksta:

Historically police IGs have turned out to be thieves - So i welcome the last thief in town.

Spot On!
Re: Breaking News! Onovo Finally Appointed Inspector General by theviper1: 11:19am On Jul 24, 2009
nigerian police force or nigerian criminal force by nature is a bunch of criminals bunched together to make our collective lives a living hell. so what do we expect from this new one? i hpe he shows that he can be different from Tafa Balogun. as for him being igbo,it reall doesnt call for any celebration.the igbos can celebrate only if he can be able to break this new menace in the south east which is kidnapping. by the way,it wasnt the igbos who said that Okiro is not one of them,bt the authorities in abuja who know the igbos more than the igbos knows themselves and decided that Okiro is south south. all in all,i wish him luck for hes got a mountain of a job ahead.
Re: Breaking News! Onovo Finally Appointed Inspector General by generalzango(m): 11:24am On Jul 24, 2009
Point of correction,he is an ACTING I.G, lets see what he can do.
Re: Breaking News! Onovo Finally Appointed Inspector General by Donvilo(m): 11:25am On Jul 24, 2009
sadThis Onovo of a guy may be even beta or worse!! Who knows wot his outcome might turn out 2 be. undecidedWell, let's just hope 4 a beta 2morrow 4 9ja. Congrats to him, once more. smiley
Re: Breaking News! Onovo Finally Appointed Inspector General by oshkosh(m): 11:46am On Jul 24, 2009
Old wine, new bottle. No change should be expected other than his wife graduating to bigger contracts.

Whats needed is someone from outside of the system, or a change agent like Ribadu.
Re: Breaking News! Onovo Finally Appointed Inspector General by smooooooth: 11:50am On Jul 24, 2009
not impressed. they gave him the job so they can grab other bigger positions. so when pple start complaining, they will quickly say. hey we appointed an igbo man ig of police recently. besides whats good in being the boss of a corrupt, shameless, and stupid police force.
Re: Breaking News! Onovo Finally Appointed Inspector General by oge4real(f): 11:58am On Jul 24, 2009
I heard Onovo is a very disciplined policeman, hope he keeps it up in this new appointment.
Congratulations Mr IG.
Re: Breaking News! Onovo Finally Appointed Inspector General by DisGuy: 12:01pm On Jul 24, 2009
smooooooth:

not impressed. they gave him the job so they can grab other bigger positions. so when pple start complaining, they will quickly say. hey we appointment an igbo man ig of police recently. besides whats good in being the boss of a corrupt, shameless, and stupid police force.

lol who are they?
Re: Breaking News! Onovo Finally Appointed Inspector General by Aicheron: 12:12pm On Jul 24, 2009
Onovo can do great if he's determined, full of ideas & strong enof 2 contain d forces in d system. Let's stop thinkin dia cn neva b a change, jst bcuz d past has not bn impressd. IgboMAN, or not, He's a Nigerian. no Shit!
Re: Breaking News! Onovo Finally Appointed Inspector General by Izunwa(m): 12:15pm On Jul 24, 2009
no be say i no dey happy o, but all this especially my igbo brothers wey dey jubilate like say onovo na dier papa abi uncle na waa o. the best we can do as his brothers is to 'help onovo 2help us'. the rate of kidnapping in nigeria is higher in south-east, even higher than that of south-south it started 4rm. likewise robbery rate. 'anyuko mamiri onu ogba ufufu'.
Re: Breaking News! Onovo Finally Appointed Inspector General by smooooooth: 12:23pm On Jul 24, 2009
Dis Guy:

lol who are they?

hehe, they na them them naau! abi u new for 9ja. u no sabi say any kind of organization, pipu are driven by their motives. once u can identify every groups motive, then u go understand why the sharing dey happen as e dey happen. and sorry that appointment shld have been appointed. if person dey vex, na so engrish dey be like english.

Aicheron:

Onovo can do great if he's determined, full of ideas & strong enof 2 contain d forces in d system. Let's stop thinkin dia cn neva b a change, jst bcuz d past has not bn impressd. IgboMAN, or not, He's a Nigerian. no Shit!

i dnt see him making any diff, cos the police have been structured around brutality, oppression, and bribery. it is now a system, its their job. unless of course he has to dismantle the entire structure, build a new police force, which is impossible. besides trying to do this will be met with resistance as he will be stepping on big fat toes.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Henry Okah Arrested In South Africa For Abuja Bombing / Open Letter To Nigerian Electorates / Breaking: Abubakar Shekau Is Dead! (CNN & World Press)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.