Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,093 members, 7,896,670 topics. Date: Sunday, 21 July 2024 at 06:29 PM

Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. - Computers (31) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. (1305094 Views)

22 Essentials To Consider Before Buying A Laptop/computer PC/MAC / Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. / Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) ... (1228) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by denzel2009: 1:51pm On Feb 20, 2010
Deji dont you think its because he is using windows 7 beta?
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 1:54pm On Feb 20, 2010
tayo_ast:

i'm unable 2 pin stuffs 2 my start menu.

whenever i right click (from d programs) on d item 2 be pinned, nothing comes up.

Pls help

Is this a laptop or desktop ? are you using a mouse or touchpad to right click
XP or vista. i think your double click settings is set too high. Here's your diags
go to control panel > hardware > mouse> then pointer settings or button
try moving the bar to your left to reduce the speed. Good luck and thanks for enquiring.

Just play round and see for yourself

Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 1:58pm On Feb 20, 2010
@denzel

I don't think so. if it is then he wont have been able to install it in the first place.
Known issues with this range e.g. disabling the sata in the bios so as to install xp

and get hold of sata xp disk in other to work. had it been he installed xp ontop of
vista without disabling sata controller in bios then definitely i will say yes it might have

contributed to the problem. bro the things is yeah if he can get to the bios then that's good
if not then reinstalling vista will sort it. wink
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 2:01pm On Feb 20, 2010
deji2009:

@denzel

I don't think so. if it is then he wont have been able to install it in the first place.
Known issues with this range e.g. disabling the sata in the bios so as to install xp

and get hold of sata xp disk in other to work. had it been he installed xp ontop of
vista without disabling sata controller in bios then definitely i will say yes it might have

contributed to the problem. bro the things is yeah if he can get to the bios then that's good
if not then reinstalling vista will sort it. wink

Dear Wackhack,

Having said that denzel, i think if he follow the diagnostics i prescribed earlier on he
might as well use the opportunity to do hard drive test in the bios.

@wackhack if you get in the bios use your arrow key to go to diagnostics then
primary hard disk self test please make sure charger is connected as this can take
20 minutes to complete the test. Good luck and thanks for enquiring
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by wackhack(m): 6:02pm On Feb 20, 2010
Thanks @all. I've done diagnostic test on both drives and all the test were performed successfully, I removed my battery, memory, pressed start button but all to no avail. My screen is still hanging on the blue screen before it shows windows7. I've done all that i could do but seems not working. What else remain? Should I format my system or reinstalled my windows 7 for recovery? And the biggest problem is that my Recovery files are on the same system which i've not copied out. Is there anyway I can copy that one out from D drive? ! I'm tired o!
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by tommyneo: 3:08am On Feb 21, 2010
@wackhack
why dint u say it was a blue screen problem ?
you dont need to format your system. just wish you knew the name of the blue screen error?
assuming its not a ram error (which is very rare), folow these instructions

-get a windows 7 boot up disk. if u r in naija it should cost about N400-N600. sometimes, a vista would do
-set your boot priority to CD rom and you should see a motivating interface.
-are u there?
-choose system restore (fastest solution wink but 40% chance of working embarassed). this is ur #1 diagnostic

if your still "frowning embarassed  angry", choose the command prompt option.
you shoul see stuff like this:

C:\windows>
type      C:\windows>chkdsk /r
some nonsense will run till 100%
now type exit and try again. it works 90% of the time shocked shocked.

*make sure you remove all external hardwares (USB devices, network cards, etc) i hope i helped you out wink. let me know.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by seyestp: 8:34am On Feb 21, 2010
Help!please how do i configure my pc's opera mini to browse free.pls u may kindly reply me on seyestp@yahoo.com
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by wackhack(m): 9:23am On Feb 21, 2010
tommyneo:

@wackhack
why dint u say it was a blue screen problem ?
you dont need to format your system. just wish you knew the name of the blue screen error?
assuming its not a ram error (which is very rare), folow these instructions

-get a windows 7 boot up disk. if u r in naija it should cost about N400-N600. sometimes, a vista would do
-set your boot priority to CD rom and you should see a motivating interface.
-are u there?
-choose system restore (fastest solution wink but 40% chance of working embarassed). this is your #1 diagnostic

if your still "frowning embarassed  angry", choose the command prompt option.
you shoul see stuff like this:

C:\windows>
type      C:\windows>chkdsk /r
some nonsense will run till 100%
now type exit and try again. it works 90% of the time shocked shocked.

*make sure you remove all external hardwares (USB devices, network cards, etc) i hope i helped you out wink. let me know.

Thanks, I think that should solve my problem. I will definitely try that and give you guys my feedback. Once again thanks all. Merci

Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Philcool(m): 1:02pm On Feb 21, 2010
PLease, my PC graphic card died suddenly.
The spec is:
Nvidia Gforce 6600T
256MB DDR 3 RAM

I replaced it wit an old card I had a long time at home but no compartible driver for XP. I saw other ATI drivers' support for XP but could not find the one for this card I am managing pending when I will purchase an upgraded graphi card
please help for XP compartible drivers for ATI Technologies 3D Rage 64MB.
Thanks.
Philcool
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Philcool(m): 1:13pm On Feb 21, 2010
PLease, my PC graphic card died suddenly.
The spec is:
Nvidia Gforce 6600T
256MB DDR 3 RAM

I replaced it wit an old card I had a long time at home but no compartible driver for XP. I saw other ATI drivers' support for XP but could not find the one for this card I am managing pending when I will purchase an upgraded graphi card
please help for XP compartible drivers for ATI Technologies 3D Rage 64MB.
Thanks.
Philcool
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by aje49ja(m): 1:53pm On Feb 21, 2010
Any one have the crack key for windows vista os AMD board, pls if anx post it here or send to my mail box ajesity@yahoo.com if work fine i wil reward u.

Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Kaybaba5(m): 5:41pm On Feb 21, 2010
can anyone help me how i can restore my desktop icons back to original, i didnt know how it happened pls.i tried to restore the system but it didnt work pls am usin compaq pc

Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by netotse(m): 8:41pm On Feb 21, 2010
@kay-baba
what is 'original'? i'm guessing you dont like the way the icons are scrunched up?. . .try reducing your resolution a bit. . .that ought to solve things, just right-click on a blank space on your desktop and choose personalize and go to display settings.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by abariko1(m): 8:55pm On Feb 21, 2010
Hi fellow nairalanders, my pcs problem is just a small one which is:

My Window Xp installed system takes time as in delays in booting, for me to solve the problem I have to bring out the task manager before it will come up and if it comes up my desktop icons will be delaying to show until a command new task and type in desktop also on the task manager.
My reason of posting this blog is that I am really tired of the whole saga.
Help your brother, Thanks. sad tongue kiss
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by netotse(m): 9:28pm On Feb 21, 2010
abariko1:

My Window Xp installed system takes time as in delays in booting, for me to solve the problem I have to bring out the task manager before it will come up and if it comes up my desktop icons will be delaying to show until a command new task and type in desktop also on the task manager.
Help your brother, Thanks. sad tongue kiss
errrr. . .brother what is the kissing in aid of?

you should download a bootlogging program to check what programs are loading with windows, you could use this one bootvis, i have never used it though, i just saw good reviews for it, paste whatever output you get here and someone will look at it for you!
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 9:35pm On Feb 21, 2010
netotse:

errrr. . .brother what is the kissing in aid of?

you should download a bootlogging program to check what programs are loading with windows, you could use this one bootvis, i have never used it though, i just saw good reviews for it, paste whatever output you get here and someone will look at it for you!

nice one Netotse.

abariko1:

Help your brother,  Thanks. sad tongue kiss

Thanks for the above enquiry, click start > Run > msconfig> start up
and untick all boxes except your security software and windows defender
click apply and ok restart and afterwards you will get a box put a tick in
do not show this message again. then test. good luck !

2nd start > run >cleanmgr>all files from this computer select all the boxes
except hibernate and clean.

3rd start > run> %temp% delete all items on the list[b] except ready bo[/b]ot

4th start > run>prefetch > delete all items except ready boot

5th start > run>[b]mrt [/b]and follow on screen instructions to remove files
such as win / ? which can be a virus file

I take it you don't have norton or limewire installed ?

Good luck !

Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by dominique(f): 9:42pm On Feb 21, 2010
hi tech gurus.
just want to tell you guys that my dvd drive is now responding. i put in a cd rom and recognised it (after about 20 mins though). i want to say a huge THANKYOU to all those that helped. smiley
i have a bit of a hardware problem.
the insert key on my keyboard is not working. i discovered when trying to print the screen fn + insert.
any suggestions?
thanks.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 9:50pm On Feb 21, 2010
dominique:

hi tech gurus.
just want to tell you guys that my dvd drive is now responding. i put in a cd rom and recognised it (after about 20 mins though). i want to say a huge THANKYOU to all those that helped. smiley
i have a bit of a hardware problem.
the insert key on my keyboard is not working. i discovered when trying to print the screen fn + insert.
any suggestions?
thanks.

Dear dominique,

I am please to hear your cd drive is now functioning ok. for the above enquiry, here's what you need to do.
ignore fn+insert is totalling wrong unless your keyboard is different. look for prtsc  sysrq

press the key and nothing else. bring up microsoft office then paste. Good luck !
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 9:52pm On Feb 21, 2010
if not take use a camera to snapshot your keyboard and post it here
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by tayoast(m): 9:54pm On Feb 21, 2010
deji2009:

Is this a laptop or desktop ? are you using a mouse or touchpad to right click
XP or vista. i think your double click settings is set too high. Here's your diags
go to control panel > hardware > mouse> then pointer settings or button
try moving the bar to your left to reduce the speed. Good luck and thanks for enquiring.

Just play round and see for yourself

Deji, it didn't work
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 9:58pm On Feb 21, 2010
tayo_ast:

Deji, it didn't work

It took me time to reply you and i expect my questions to be answer. read my reply again
and answer the questions, after which i will guide you for the next 45 minutes to get you back
on your feet or if you want i can remotely connect to your system and sort this out for you. Good luck !
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 10:00pm On Feb 21, 2010
deji2009:

It took me time to reply you and i expect my questions to be answer. read my reply again
and answer the questions, after which i will guide you for the next 45 minutes to get you back
on your feet or if you want i can remotely connect to your system and sort this out for you. Good luck !

I am 100% certain you are using a laptop which has not got synaptics or mouse drivers installed.
what's the make of your computer and operating system.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by tayoast(m): 10:03pm On Feb 21, 2010
deji2009:

ok. i'm using a desktop & d mouse setting are as u pictured.

there's sth i think may be responsible
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 10:09pm On Feb 21, 2010
tayo_ast:

ok. i'm using a desktop & d mouse setting are as u pictured.

there's sth i think may be responsible

Maybe this,
right clik start menu button \ properties \ customize \ advanced\mark the "enable dragging and dropping

Good luck !
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by dominique(f): 10:16pm On Feb 21, 2010
@deji2009
the prt sc key on my laptop is not standing alone. its operated with fn + insert.
i want to know if there is a solution when a key on the keyboard is not working. hope it doesn't  involve me opening up the system.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 10:23pm On Feb 21, 2010
dominique:

@deji2009
the prt sc key on my laptop is not standing alone. its operated with fn + insert.
i want to know if there is a solution when a key on the keyboard is not working. hope it doesn't  involve me opening up the system.

click start, all programmes, accessories > on screen keyboard then press prt screen
then past to word. i no joy upload your keyboard picture
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by tayoast(m): 10:26pm On Feb 21, 2010
deji2009:

Maybe this,
right clik start menu button \ properties \ customize \ advanced\mark the "enable dragging and dropping

Good luck !

ohhhh, u're such a sweet guy.

It worked!! Thanks a lot.

i wanna upload an attachment, but d printed screen is in .bmp format
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by netotse(m): 10:47pm On Feb 21, 2010
tayo_ast:

ohhhh, u're such a sweet guy.

It worked!! Thanks a lot.

i wanna upload an attachment, but d printed screen is in .bmp format
open it in ms paint then from the save as dialogue box, choose jpg
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by tayoast(m): 11:15pm On Feb 21, 2010
netotse:

open it in ms paint then from the save as dialogue box, choose jpg
thanks.

here, wat do i do? it appears @ start-up

Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by dominique(f): 11:38pm On Feb 21, 2010
deji2009:

if not take use a camera to snapshot your keyboard and post it here

ok. i'll do that tomorrow.
thanks
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Sweetdoct247(m): 11:56pm On Feb 21, 2010
Funny I was kind of forced to read thru this page cos it's really educative. I've got 2 probs with my lapi:
1 Since about last week, on inserting a flash drive it shows the normal "new hardware has been detected" but instead of going ahead and install a driver for it it brings out the install new hardware wizard asking 4 installation CD and it does that for every flash so in short I've neither been able to give nor recieve which is really frustrating. What can I do.
2. If I boot up my system with the battery in place it hangs on the log on screen. At that point if I just remove the battery and replace it right away, all returns to normal all. It means I can only boot up when plugged in. If I however hibernate, it comes up normally. But if I shut down, I've got to remove and replace batt. at log on screen otherwise it will just hang there. What can I do.
System is Acer
OS is vista premium altho it was xp home edition that came with it.

Finally brethren is there a place where I can download tune up utilities 2009/2010 full version. I've got 2010 v9.0.3100, but it's asking 4 a pdt key or if anybody has d key, can he/she kindly paste it here or send it to sweetdoct247@yahoo.com. Thanks
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 7:47am On Feb 22, 2010
Kay-baba:

can anyone help me how i can restore my desktop icons back to original, i didnt know how it happened pls.i tried to restore the system but it didnt work pls am usin compaq pc

1st right click your desktop > personalize > windows colours and appearance > miximize your screen to see below
and look for open classic appearance > effect and change it to clear type
click ok and ?advanced and make sure your right hand says desktop > clikc ok

2nd diags

right click an empty area of your desktop properties > perosonalise > adjust font size DPI
click continue to give admin parmission and make sure you have default scale (96 DPi) tick
apply and ok and restart your machine

like netose has advicedmake sure your screen resolution is set to number 1
at the top just play round and keep moving the bar back and forward util you
have a perfect image. if no joy click start > run> devmgmt.msc click continue
and look for display adaptor click the + sign and right click on what you
see underneath then update driver software > automatically

Good luck and thanks for enquiring.

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) ... (1228) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.