Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,740 members, 7,875,856 topics. Date: Saturday, 29 June 2024 at 11:28 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (10311) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12000854 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10308) (10309) (10310) (10311) (10312) (10313) (10314) ... (16398) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:34am On Mar 15, 2021
TheSuperNerd:
Brendan Rodgers on Iheanacho's MOTM showing

Courtesy: LCFC.com

"He was outstanding, not just in his goals, but his overall work-rate," the 48-year-old added. "He had a big responsibility today, in terms of dropping into the space, finding that pocket that was just on the back of the midfield, and I thought he did that very, very well.
"He’s a great guy. He deserved the three goals. He had one or two other opportunities, but we’re all delighted for him."

He had one or two other opportunities This dude never wants to give Nacho his full credit

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 8:37am On Mar 15, 2021
Tamunotonye22:

You typed a lot of rubbish here without conscience. Pepe's competition at Porto is a 21y/o Chelsea loanee, what do you expect? is he better than Christensen, Thiago Silva or Zouma atm? Virgil van dijk? Laporte? even soyuncu and tarkowski go bench am for Porto. you can hate the epl all you like but the competition there is the highest and toughest. I remember youri tielemans at anderletch, a teen captain with so much potential, league POTY winner, played a year at monaco (which you will tell me is also better or bigger than liecester), and where is he now?Mitrovic is a better attacker to Marega.

Let's argue more on this

When I said almost all I meant they are many but you wan want take the truth grin

Is the 21 year old Chelsea lonee benching Pepe

When fact is being spoken you call it hate ,you can cry for all I care ,this is about Pepe being better than many epl defenders at 38 and this is not about hating the epl ok

If you think young zouma is better than old pepe then you must be smoking a very strong weed cheesy

VVD laporte Thiago Silva is agreed ,I guess these are the only 3 reasonable defenders in the epl

Combine christensen rudiger and all your rest chrlsea defenders he is better than them cheesy

Is tielemans a defender ? Stop exposing your self nah ,the last time I checked he is a regular at Leicester so what are you saying

Mitrovic is better than marega but Na championship Dey always be him calling cheesy cheesy cheesy

Tielemans didn’t do that well at Monaco but was still sold to Leicester for about 40m and he found the epl easier than the farmers league

Mentioning tielemans on this arguement show say your sense run leave you

Once again my arguement was about Pepe being better than so many epl defenders but your anger no allow you read well

And the reason why Thiago Silva vvd and laporte is better than Pepe is because he is 38

Oya move

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JohnBullMySon: 8:38am On Mar 15, 2021
BascoVanVeli:

He had one or two other opportunities This dude never wants to give Nacho his full credit
Guy nawa for you oh. that's how a coach talks na. abi you don't want Iheanacho to improve more?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 8:39am On Mar 15, 2021
TheSuperNerd:
It's not. It was a Cup Semifinal match up.

Genk and Onuachu are now through to the final of the Belgian Cup vs Standard Liege.

Wow nice one
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JohnBullMySon: 8:44am On Mar 15, 2021
TheSuperNerd:
Samuel Kalu is likely to miss the AfconQ games vs Benin and Lesotho if he doesn't recover in time from the injury he picked up early in his team's Ligue 1 win.

The standby list of players include: Paul Onuachu, Henry Onyekuru, Peter Olayinka, Michael Olise (Passport process), and Terem Moffi.

One of these guys will be called up to the main list as Kalu's replacement.

Note: Ofcos Akpeyi and Adeleke are also on the standby list too but as GKs, we know they won't be called up.

it's definitely Onuachu, unless Olise is eligible to make the list
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 8:44am On Mar 15, 2021
Tamunotonye22:

Does Rodgers actually have a similar style as guardiola?

I think all the top managers have the same style nowadays, press high win the ball back, pass from the back

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Clint02(m): 8:44am On Mar 15, 2021
That Sergio Oliveira dey try for Porto sha

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 9:17am On Mar 15, 2021
Pep is the greatest influence on football since Johann Cruyff, some people will still argue

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JayromWrites: 9:19am On Mar 15, 2021
Andrewbaba44 you r too kind in your assessment

Pepe is one of the last of his kind.. A defender that excelled because he can actually defend nt because he is good at pointing fingers

Pepe at 38 will start at all the premier league teams bar man city

How person go wake up mention zouma,christensen,tarkoski in the same sentence with pepe

This na pure ment

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 10:04am On Mar 15, 2021
JayromWrites:
Andrewbaba44 you r too kind in your assessment

Pepe is one of the last of his kind.. A defender that excelled because he can actually defend nt because he is good at pointing fingers

Pepe at 38 will start at all the premier league teams bar man city

How person go wake up mention zouma,christensen,tarkoski in the same sentence with pepe

This na pure ment

Lol

The reason I rated others ahead of Pepe is because they are younger

How many of them can still play the way pepe is playing at 38 ,they will say Porto don’t have quality players ,so What about the portguese national team

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:30am On Mar 15, 2021
JohnBullMySon:
Guy nawa for you oh. that's how a coach talks na. abi you don't want Iheanacho to improve more?

After a hattrick? The last time he was asked about Kelechi he went into talking about Vardy. This man is not happy for Iheanacho, he is a snake. Just wait till Madison and Barnes come back. His true color will show

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:29am On Mar 15, 2021
TheSuperNerd:

"He was outstanding, not just in his goals, but his overall work-rate," the 48-year-old added. "He had a big responsibility today, in terms of dropping into the space, finding that pocket that was just on the back of the midfield, and I thought he did that very, very well.
"He’s a great guy. He deserved the three goals. He had one or two other opportunities, but we’re all delighted for him."

Comment by TheGoodJoe made Feb 27, 2019 (Two years ago - A day after Rodgers appointment as Leicester City FC manager)
Interesting times ahead for Leicester City with the arrival of Brendan Rodgers who I consider one of the top geniuses of the game. I hope his arrival sparks good trajectory for not just our players but especially Nacho due to the attacking brand of football of Rodgers and the ability to create chances for his forwards due to his passing style.

After Tevez, the striker that really had my attention was a young Suarez and under Rodgers, Suarez got unlocked. He became one of the most lethal finishers of the game.

The next striker who caught my attention after Suarez was Iheanacho. Due to his ability of finding his way around the forward line to finish at a very impressive and lethal rate.

Starting games should not be a priority but soaking in the wisdom of the genius manager who will lead the side.

Nacho should make improving his work rate to an impressive level his priority. There is a level a player achieves in work rate that makes him impossible to drop. Bernardo Silva should be a blueprint.

(Advice, Nacho should employ Nduka Ugbade as his work rate personal trainer. Nduka Ugbade has the key and created a work rate monster in Ndidi.)

https://www.nairaland.com/3018619/super-eagles-thread-dawn-new/5550#76181505

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:30am On Mar 15, 2021
TheSuperNerd:

First of all, superb post by TheSuperNerd. I guess he remembered a lot of the discussions we had in the past about Iheanacho and Rodgers. Now a breakdown.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:33am On Mar 15, 2021
The breakdown will have to do with my post in relation to TheSuperNerd's post but mainly focusing on my post.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:38am On Mar 15, 2021
Interesting times ahead for Leicester City with the arrival of Brendan Rodgers who I consider one of the top geniuses of the game. I hope his arrival sparks good trajectory for not just our players but especially Nacho due to the attacking brand of football of Rodgers and the ability to create chances for his forwards due to his passing style.

When I talked about interesting times, it had to do with the up and down way people will take Iheanacho. There will be times many will feel he has flopped but I believed that the tactical growth Iheanacho will get working with Rodgers will propel him into a formidable striker.

His recent form shows an upward trajectory in his quality and as Rodgers put it,

finding that pocket that was just on the back of the midfield, and I thought he did that very, very well

Nacho is showing growth in his tactical understanding of the game and for Rodgers to stress on "very, very well" when it concerned Iheanacho finding spaces in the opposition areas to help build play and attack, it shows we can feel excited in his growth.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:43am On Mar 15, 2021
After Tevez, the striker that really had my attention was a young Suarez and under Rodgers, Suarez got unlocked. He became one of the most lethal finishers of the game.

I still remember the first time I saw Suarez. I was amazed at how similar his playing style was to Tevez. He ran a lot keeping defenders confused about how they would mark him.

His finishing was so lethal. I was talking about when he played for Ajax.

However, when he played with Rodgers, there was a bright change in Suarez. He did what caught my attention with more efficiency. That is, Rodgers some how had a simple way of making Suarez understand how to do what he did best in an easier way.

What I saw, blew my mind. I hardly missed a Liverpool game under Rodgers, just to watch Suarez do it over and over again.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:48am On Mar 15, 2021
The next striker who caught my attention after Suarez was Iheanacho. Due to his ability of finding his way around the forward line to finish at a very impressive and lethal rate.
When Iheanacho played under Pellegrini, it hit me. Another one. Another Tevez/Suarez. Pellegrini had a way of making Iheanacho score with ease. He saw the potential and believed in it.

Keep in mind, Pellegrini turned Forlan and Guiseppe Rossi from regular stars to goal scoring machines.

He believed so much in Nacho that he refused to sign a top grade striker to replace Dzeko.

Nacho showed that same thing that I felt so attracted to Suarez. Which is, the quality I saw in a teenage Tevez at Boca Juniors.

He had a big responsibility today, in terms of dropping into the space.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:52am On Mar 15, 2021
He had a big responsibility today, in terms of dropping into the space, finding that pocket that was just on the back of the midfield, and I thought he did that very, very well.

I have been thinking about this all night. Rodgers really had me confused here but I think it is a breakdown of the simple instructions to Nacho. What he passed to Suarez.

1. Drop deep to midfield. (Offensive area of the midfield - normally referred to as attack midfield area)

2. Look out for gaps in the defense of the opposition.

3. Attack these gaps fiercely and the instructions to his team mates is to lace the ball with pace to the gap areas.

THIS IHEANACHO DID, "VERY, VERY WELL."

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by minfelix(m): 11:52am On Mar 15, 2021
From Ranieri to Brendan Rodger
From relegation to lifting Epl and remaining a top4 contender ever since baffles me how Leicester city gathered their Resilient style, even with the exit of key players like kante, mahrez, drinkwater etc they are still Epl big boys...they were both promoted the same season with Watford, now Watford is back to base while they remain gallant...kudos to Leicester city...top 3

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:58am On Mar 15, 2021
Starting games should not be a priority but soaking in the wisdom of the genius manager who will lead the side.

I made this statement because I knew Rodgers for being who he is since his time at Liverpool, he has preference for players. He has the ability to improve players but this has also been a draw back to him.

He plays the players he likes at the detriment of others, hoping his deep tactics and insight into improving players will see him through.

It almost worked but injuries hampered him here. I think he will learn from this because he ended up overworking his favorite players.

I expected Nacho to face the bench but I believed as long as he is training with Rodgers and a sharp Naija boy, he will gain wisdom that when the chance comes. When he gets a run of games he will marvel many.

Glad to see Iheanacho take this little run of games in great strides.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:00pm On Mar 15, 2021
TheGoodJoe:
[/b]

When I talked about interesting times, it had to do with the up and down way people will take Iheanacho. There will be times many will feel he has flopped but I believed that the tactical growth Iheanacho will get working with Rodgers will propel him into a formidable striker.

His recent form shows an upward trajectory in his quality and as Rodgers put it,

[b]finding that pocket that was just on the back of the midfield, and I thought he did that very, very well

Nacho is showing growth in his tactical understanding of the game and for Rodgers to stress on "very, very well" when it concerned Iheanacho finding spaces in the opposition areas to help build play and attack, it shows we can feel excited in his growth.

The only reason Iheanacho is even playing is because of injury in the Leicester squad. He was playing like this at the end of last season and Rodgers still was taking him off of matches because Madison had returned from injury at the time. Under a coach who trusts him more he would be further ahead.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:03pm On Mar 15, 2021
Nacho should make improving his work rate to an impressive level his priority. There is a level a player achieves in work rate that makes him impossible to drop. Bernardo Silva should be a blueprint.

He was outstanding, not just in his goals, but his overall work-rate.

This comes out in a remarkable way. After two years, Rodgers pointed exactly where Nacho has grown. His overall work-rate. Which is impressive but Nacho should keep in mind that he is yet to achieve the second part. Having a work-rate that makes him impossible to drop.

This is something Ndidi achieved very early, we see it in Mane and Bernado Silva and this should be the main goal of the ALIEN KID.

So far, glad for the young man and I hope he keeps getting better.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:06pm On Mar 15, 2021
BascoVanVeli:

The only reason Iheanacho is even playing is because of injury in the Leicester squad. He was playing like this at the end of last season and Rodgers still was taking him off of matches because Madison had returned from injury at the time. Under a coach who trusts him more he would be further ahead.

I agree with you. I think two years under Rodgers is enough to gain as much tactical insight that can help Nacho his whole career.

He has been fortunate to work with the likes of Manu Garba, Amunike and Ugbade who I rate highly with respect to tactics in his U17 days.

Worked with Vieira, Pellegrini and Guardiola.

Now with Rodgers.

If he is moving, I think it will be a good move but it must be to a coach that is highly offensive and tactical. It will also be to a possessive manager who is ready to give him playing time.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:08pm On Mar 15, 2021
BascoVanVeli:

However, how Rodgers treats Nacho before the end of the season will determine if he signs the renewed contract that is likely coming at the end of the season.

Remember, Leicester City will offer Champions League football but it means nothing if Nacho is not playing.

Let us keep our fingers crossed.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 12:10pm On Mar 15, 2021
BascoVanVeli:

Do you think Rodgers will have any excuse to bench him once those players are back from injury ?

I doubt because he can see the chemistry between nacho and vardy

I think If Maddison returns Pérez will be benched
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:12pm On Mar 15, 2021
andrewbaba44:

Do you think Rodgers will have any excuse to bench him once those players are back from injury ?

Don't count on it.

Rodgers could be that crazy.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 12:12pm On Mar 15, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

Comment by TheGoodJoe made Feb 27, 2019 (Two years ago - A day after Rodgers appointment as Leicester City FC manager)

(Advice, Nacho should employ Nduka Ugbade as his work rate personal trainer. Nduka Ugbade has the key and created a work rate monster in Ndidi.)

https://www.nairaland.com/3018619/super-eagles-thread-dawn-new/5550#76181505

Ahh the classic TheGoodJoe cheesy

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:16pm On Mar 15, 2021
The fact is that Rodgers has the key to make Iheanacho a monster scoring attacker. I hope he lays down his bias and sentiments and make Nacho shine like a Supernova. I hope he does.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:33pm On Mar 15, 2021
Even FIFA hasn't forgotten. cool grin They had to have their say too...

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:40pm On Mar 15, 2021
andrewbaba44:

I don't know o I can't predict the future sha. But I am just saying what I have been seeing. Iheanacho has always had chemistry with Vardy even back in the Claude Puel days.

I just don't want Rodgers taking any more credit than he deserves. Most the accolades should go to Kelechi for withstanding all that man's nonsense and still doing his thing. But that's just me sha

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 12:40pm On Mar 15, 2021
Eze and Noni Madueke has been called up to the England U21s
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 12:41pm On Mar 15, 2021
BascoVanVeli:

I don't know o I can't predict the future sha. But I am just saying what I have been seeing. Iheanacho has always had chemistry with Vardy even back in the Claude Puel days.

I just don't want Rodgers taking any more credit than he deserves. Most the accolades should go to Kelechi for withstanding all that man's nonsense and still doing his thing. But that's just me sha

Lol

(1) (2) (3) ... (10308) (10309) (10310) (10311) (10312) (10313) (10314) ... (16398) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: DrKlever(m), elyte89, Philosopher1979 and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.