Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,202,014 members, 7,980,602 topics. Date: Sunday, 20 October 2024 at 06:35 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1206) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12619112 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1203) (1204) (1205) (1206) (1207) (1208) (1209) ... (16831) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:58am On Jul 12, 2017
junnyjake:

I just like this guy.
Why? If I may ask.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by emmarnoel: 12:39pm On Jul 12, 2017
Super eagles will be in Russia 2018

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 1:12pm On Jul 12, 2017
Icon4s:

Why? If I may ask.
maybe he likes the badboy rep grin aka card master

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:09pm On Jul 12, 2017
komekn:

I wouldn't agree with you completely, the Turkish league is in the top 10 in Europe, 5 places higher than the Austrian league and even. Higher than the Dutch league.

If you can play for the top teams in Turkey it's still a route to a top club.

In addition I wouldn't take the UEFA rankings as absolute. There is still a high degree of subjectivity.

Our players have not moved to the top teams in Turkey though.

Belgium, French or Dutch leagues are better leagues for career progression. Awaziem to Nantes for instance is a great move, a solid season in Ligue 1 will make him a better player. It can even be a route to a bigger team.

Turkey can easily be a dead end destination. Omeruo has stagnated in Turkey playing for poor teams. Ekong is going the same route. Otigba has gone back to Hungary after his Turkish spell.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:12pm On Jul 12, 2017
I understand Rohr has threatened to resign over interference. One loss and all the Hyenas come out.. They should leave the man alone Biko. Apart from the loss, we have been progressing. The loss might be the wake up call we needed to avoid overconfidence and complacency.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 6:05pm On Jul 12, 2017
tbaba1234:
I understand Rohr has threatened to resign over interference. One loss and all the Hyenas come out.. They should leave the man alone Biko. Apart from the loss, we have been progressing. The loss might be the wake up call we needed to avoid overconfidence and complacency.

the problem I think with the loss was how we got totally outplayed with no worthy plan B. it wasn't just the loss, this guy that led us to the 2010 world cup although we didn't qualify from the group stage but we still wanted to retain him because we actually played very well against top teams too. this loss was embarrassing that too against SA, perennial underachievers.....and don't give me that crap that they are now a strong team, they almost beat us the last time but still got humiliated at the nation's cup
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 6:10pm On Jul 12, 2017
Icon4s:

Why? If I may ask.

I've watched him play a couple of times and I admire his confidence with the ball, how often he avails himself to receive passes and on a personal level, He reminds me of myself, those days I took football seriously.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 6:13pm On Jul 12, 2017
Nigerdeltaboi:
maybe he likes the badboy rep grin aka card master

grin

Kinda!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 6:16pm On Jul 12, 2017
Mickael2:

the problem I think with the loss was how we got totally outplayed with no worthy plan B. it wasn't just the lost, this guy that led us to the 2010 world cup although we didn't qualify but we still wanted to retain him became we actually played very well against top teams too. this loss was embarrassing that too against SA, perennial underachievers.....and don't give me that carp that they are now a strong team, they almost beat us the last time but still got humiliated at the nation's cup

I think you are talking about BERTI VOGTS, abi its LARS LAGERBERG

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 6:41pm On Jul 12, 2017
do4luv14:

I think you are talking about BERTI VOGTS, abi its LARS LAGERBERG
Lars Lagerback my brother
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 7:03pm On Jul 12, 2017
Mickael2:

the problem I think with the loss was how we got totally outplayed with no worthy plan B. it wasn't just the loss, this guy that led us to the 2010 world cup although we didn't qualify from the group stage but we still wanted to retain him because we actually played very well against top teams too. this loss was embarrassing that too against SA, perennial underachievers.....and don't give me that crap that they are now a strong team, they almost beat us the last time but still got humiliated at the nation's cup
and you support these NFF technical committee interference?
I tell you many there....are only for their belly and not the welfare of the national team

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 7:20pm On Jul 12, 2017
Mickael2:

Before the goal, SA did not outplay us though. Yes, we lacked cutting edge but we were not getting outplayed. Regardless, I think the coach should be allowed to carry his cross without interference. That way, he can own any success or failure.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 7:59pm On Jul 12, 2017
Napoleon55:
then make a 22-man list,let's analyze ur list and see if everybody here will consider it perfect, if u are unable to do this,there is point correcting me.

should I go ahead do your bidding now....you will likely debunk it....being that you're already flexing muscles to attack my list.
let's leave it....I pray Yusuf and the team achieve success it will be a plus..to us
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:34pm On Jul 12, 2017
Humility017:

and you support these NFF technical committee interference?
I tell you many there....are only for their belly and not the welfare of the national team

Alot of countries operate with technical committees. Pinnick had long announced we were going this route. We have players with great knowledge of the game, we need to utilize them. There is nothing wrong with bouncing a few ideas off of some of our best ever players.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:36pm On Jul 12, 2017
Humility017:

should I go ahead do your bidding now....you will likely debunk it....being that you're already flexing muscles to attack my list.
let's leave it....I pray Yusuf and the team achieve success it will be a plus..to us

I think his point was that no list would ever be universally accepted, not urs not mine.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 8:39pm On Jul 12, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

I think his point was that no list would ever be universally accepted, not urs not mine.
OK....now I get

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 9:20pm On Jul 12, 2017
Mickael2:

Lars Lagerback my brother

yea, that glass wearing the x-coach of our SE, I remember him well, its salary issues, plus too much interference that makes him resign
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:48pm On Jul 12, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

Alot of countries operate with technical committees. Pinnick had long announced we were going this route. We have players with great knowledge of the game, we need to utilize them. There is nothing wrong with bouncing a few ideas off of some of our best ever players.

Great knowledge of the game crap. If any of them in the technical committee is so knowledgeable as they want us to believe, let them apply for the Super Eagles job and let us see if the same NFF/Technical committee will give them a second thought.

If they are not good enough to Coach the team, they lack no basis in interfering with the technical plans of the coach.

Rohr has my full support if he wants to resign. The NFF keeps dragging us back.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:10pm On Jul 12, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Great knowledge of the game crap. If any of them in the technical committee are so knowledgeable as they want us to believe, let them apply for the Super Eagles job and let us see if the same NFF/Technical committee will give them a second thought.

If they are not good enough to Coach the team, they lack no basis in interfering with the technical plans of the coach.

Rohr has my full support if he wants to resign. The NFF keeps dragging us back.

U need to show those guys their due respect. These are people like Victor Ikpeba and Mutiu Adepoju. They know more about representing the Super Eagles than u, me and Rohr. They have come out to say they won't select the team so wat seems to be the issue? There is no need to make a mountain out of a mole.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:15am On Jul 13, 2017
Very constructive! Thumbs up

goldfish80:

I think the national team coaches should be made to name their call up list in a press conference. Where journalists will have the benefit of asking for some explanations. But in the absence of that. I will take exception to some points raised by the "expert".

According to him, Afelokhai shouldn't be listed, but surprising enough, he has one of the better stats in the league. I can understand the reservations about the non calling up for the Nasarawa keeper but the truth is that goalkeepers shouldn't be rated by the number of clean sheets. Last season, the best keeper in the league Nana Bonsu was not the keeper with the most clean sheets but he was rated as the best keeper. In England Schmeichel had the most clean sheets in the run up to Leicester City winning the league, I'm sure it is very clear that if we are to rate the best keepers in England, Schmeichel may not get to the top 5.
Further more, Jordan Pickford conceeded tons of goal in the relegation run for Sunderland but he transfered to Everton for 30M. The real stats to judge goalkeepers are shots per save not necessarily clean sheets because the defensive set up of the team in question can help an average keeper rack up piles of clean sheets.

For the defenders, I don't know about Jamiu Alimi this season,but from what I witnessed over the past 3 seasons, he is one of the better defenders. Stephen Eze is a good option in defence. Tall, big and strong, he's been impressive.
Kalu Orji deserves his place in the mix. I don't know what the expert is talking about but Kalu orji, with Odita were the trojans in defence that helped Rangers to the title. He has been pretty solid this season. He's my favourite defender there.

Unfortunately the acclaimed expert haven't been following proceedings closely this season he sounds surprised Osas Okoro was listed as a defender. If he had been following the league this season, he will have known Osas Okoro was converted to a RWB this season where he has blossomed. Honestly, Osas Okoro should be staking a claim to the right back position for the super eagles. If what I saw of Shehu against SA is the benchmark for the Eagles Right back position, Osas should be banging on the doors of the main Super Eagles. He's been that good this season.

Coming to the midfield position, Chukwuka Onuwa of Mfm omission should be explained. Bright Silas, the Rangers Outside 7 have to be listed. He's been performing really well, top prospect.

I think the attack is the best we can assemble so far in the league. Mfom Udoh, Odeh, Ifeanyi George, Alhassan, etc have goals in them. In my opinion.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:41am On Jul 13, 2017
It looks like the La Liga connect was just a publicity stunt. I was expecting the NPFL all stars to be invited back by now but I guess it was a one off thing. Also no players have been signed as was promised.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:42pm On Jul 13, 2017
Best U20 Player On The Planet, Of Nigerian Descent, Wows Liverpool Coach On Debut

Published: July 13, 2017
Best U20 Player On The Planet, Of Nigerian Descent, Wows Liverpool Coach On Debut
Liverpool manager Jürgen Klopp was impressed with the performance the English-born Nigerian striker Dominic Solanke put in against Tranmere Rovers in their first pre-season friendly on Wednesday night.

The Golden Ball winner at this summer's Fifa U20 World Cup looked lively after entering into the fray in the 46th minute and was denied a debut goal by a great save from goalkeeper Pilling in the 50th minute.

''I saw a few wonderful signs tonight. Everybody in England watched the U20 World Cup – that was fantastic football,'' Klopp said in his post match comments.

''He is an offensive player, a really skilled boy. He has to improve, of course, but a lot of things are already really good: first touch, movement, a lot of things.

''So it’s about him, if you want, and the situation. But I will not avoid his development, so the moment he is strong enough he is there.''

The 19-year-old Solanke joined Liverpool as a free agent this summer after spending the last thirteen years of his career with Chelsea.

Igho Kingsley

http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=23754

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:44pm On Jul 13, 2017
Chelsea Confirm Kenneth Omeruo, Ike Ugbo Are Set To Make First Team Debut Vs Red Devils

Chelsea Confirm Kenneth Omeruo, Ike Ugbo Are Set To Make First Team Debut Vs Red Devils
Premier League champions Chelsea have confirmed that Nigeria international Kenneth Omeruo is in line to make his first-team debut in Saturday's friendly against Crawley Town.

The Red Devils have published on their official webpage The Blues 16-man traveling party to the Checkatrade Stadium.

Omeruo is among the six defenders heading to West Sussex, and it is all but confirmed that he will be given a run out along with World Cup-winning central defender Fikayo Tomori.

One of the poster boys of Chelsea's Academy Ike Ugbo might make his maiden appearance for the first team, having made the squad list.

The 18-year-old prolific striker was observed by manager Antonio Conte in last season's FA Youth Cup final against Manchester City and impressed the Italian.

Chelsea Squad For Trip To Crawley Town

Goalkeepers (2) : Jamal Blackman, Mitchell Beeney

Defenders (6) : Tomas Kalas, Michael Hector, Fikayo Tomori, Jake Clarke Salter, Kenneth Omeruo, Cole Dasilva

Midfielders (4) : Kyle Scott, Mukhtar Ali, Isaac Christie Davies, Ruben Sammut

Attackers (4): Jeremie Boga, Charlie Wakefield, Ike Ugbo, Islam Feruz

http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=23758

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:53pm On Jul 13, 2017
This boy suppose dey Premier-league now but his club wickedly blocked him move, and threatened to destroy his career by relegating him to the feeder team all because he requested for transfer and refused to sign new contract.

Nevertheless, his agent is very dull.

Exclusive: Ex-Man Utd Target Ramon Azeez To Earn N405 Million In Three-Year Deal With CD Lugo

Exclusive: Ex-Man Utd Target Ramon Azeez To Earn N405 Million In Three-Year Deal With CD Lugo
Nigeria international Ramon Azeez has completed his transfer to Spanish Segunda División team Club Deportivo Lugo following a successful medical.

Allnigeriasoccer.com has been informed that the central midfielder will remain on the books of the Albivermellos until June 30, 2020 after appending his signature to a three-year contract.

The agreement in the final year will only be triggered if he plays 65 percent of CD Lugo's matches during the 2018-19 campaign.

In the first year of his contract with CD Lugo, Azeez will earn 300,000 euros, and his wages will be uprated to 325,000 euros in the second year and 350,000 euros in the final year of his contract, meaning he will take home 0.975 million euros (approximately N405 million ) over the duration of his contract.

A €1 million release clause has been inserted into Azeez's contract if a Segunda Division team is interested in his services, while La Liga teams will have to pay €3 million.

The Future Pro Academy graduate was on the payroll of Almeria for six years and recorded 44 appearances for the side in the Spanish top-flight, scoring two goals.

Ramon Azeez underwent successful trials with Manchester United after the 2009 Fifa U17 World Cup where he won the Bronze Ball, but could not join the Old Trafford club after failing to secure a work permit.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel

http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=23759

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:43pm On Jul 13, 2017
Today, I learnt that Abdelhak Nouri of Ajax who collapsed days ago has permanent brain damage. Just like that, a young career and life is cut off. Out of the blue, we learn that Ikeme has cancer.

Life can so unpredictable and a person's life can be transformed in an instant.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 2:30pm On Jul 13, 2017
Gernot Rohr denies Super Eagles resignation report

Colin Udoh, KweséESPN

ESPN.com | 8:16 PM FJT

Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr tells KweséESPN there is no truth to rumours that he is considering resigning from his post.

Reports on Wednesday claimed that the German was frustrated by the NFF's Technical Committee's attempts to interfere in his team selection, and could tender his resignation as early as next week.

But Rohr insists that is not the case, saying: "I have seen the reports and there is no truth to this."

The rumours, originally reported in the UK, claimed that Rohr may tender his resignation when he meets with the Nigerian federation leadership in Morocco during the CAF meetings.

He was said to be very frustrated at what he considers "meddling" in his work by the NFF's Technical Committee led by Chris Green.

Nigeria lost 2-0 to South Africa in a 2019 African Nations Cup qualifier, but sit top of their qualifying group for the 2018 World Cup of 2018, and could all but secure a place at the World Cup in Russia with a win over Cameroon next month in Uyo.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 3:13pm On Jul 13, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

U need to show those guys their due respect. These are people like Victor Ikpeba and Mutiu Adepoju. They know more about representing the Super Eagles than u, me and Rohr. They have come out to say they won't select the team so wat seems to be the issue? There is no need to make a mountain out of a mole.

i share goodjoe's mistrust for the technical committee. what is the point of hiring a coach if a group of so called ''experts'' interfere in his job. my idea of a technical committee is one that does deep research and intellectual brain storming to fashion out playing styles for the national team from youth to senior level. this will then guide the nff on the type of coach/coaches who should be hired that share the same philosophies of the technical committee regarding playing styles that have been chosen. the only person the coach should answer to is the board of the nff. if they are dissatisfied with his performance they should let him know or better still sack him. the technical committee as assembled now is a case of too many cooks spoiling the broth.

yes we respect our ex internationals but if they are wrong on certain issues we can call them out for instance i respect and admire segun odegbami but its not everything he says i agree with

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 3:18pm On Jul 13, 2017
quite sad reminds me of our own joseph dosu one minute he was super eagles No.1 in line to go to france 98 the next car accident and career ended

tbaba1234:
Today, I learnt that Abdelhak Nouri of Ajax who collapsed days ago has permanent brain damage. Just like that, a young career and life is cut off. Out of the blue, we learn that Ikeme has cancer.

Life can so unpredictable and a person's life can be transformed in an instant.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 4:04pm On Jul 13, 2017
Folks, it's been a good week so far. Yes, I am still recovering from the shock of seeing Nadal go out of Wimbledon. But that shock has been followed by two good news:

Yesterday, Andy Murray was bundled out as well.
The soulless biatch, Angie Keber also lost.
And this morning, our evergreen lady, Venus Williams is teaching Johanna Konte some unforgettable lessons in tennis out there on center court Wimbledon!

I am quite excited. In fact, ecstatic!

O pari

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:26pm On Jul 13, 2017
Hahahahaha

Meanwhile Federer hasn't dropped a set. .Take heart that Nadal had a good fight after falling by two sets. But I knew Muller will fight the last set with the last drop of his blood and he did that pretty well forcing Nadal to save several match points in that marathon final set.

The real good news is this. Venus has just made it to the championship match!

Icon79:
Folks, it's been a good week so far. Yes, I am still recovering from the shock of seeing Nadal go out of Wimbledon. But that shock has been followed by two good news:

Yesterday, Andy Murray was bundled out as well.
The soulless biatch, Angie Keber also lost.
And this morning, our evergreen lady, Venus Williams is teaching Johanna Konte some unforgettable lessons in tennis out there on center court Wimbledon!

I am quite excited. In fact, ecstatic!

O pari

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:29pm On Jul 13, 2017
Nothing is ever guaranteed no matter who we are or what we do.

May our lives be full of praises to our creator as long as we are still here.

chrisooblog:
quite sad reminds me of our own joseph dosu one minute he was super eagles No.1 in line to go to france 98 the next car accident and career ended

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 4:31pm On Jul 13, 2017
Yea, I picked Roger to win it all on Sunday. But I thought it was gonna be another one of those classic Rafa/Roger Finals.

Anway, right now it's gonna be Roger on Sunday and Venus on Saturday.

Ohhhhh La La La la!!! Life's good!

O pari

Joebie:
Hahahahaha

Meanwhile Federer hasn't dropped a set. .Take heart that Nadal had a good fight after falling by two sets. But I knew Muller will fight the last set with the last drop of his blood and he did that pretty well forcing Nadal to save several match points in that marathon final set.

The real good news is this. Venus has just made it to the championship match!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (1203) (1204) (1205) (1206) (1207) (1208) (1209) ... (16831) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: bennie1980(m), humility33(m) and 17 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.