Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,202,014 members, 7,980,599 topics. Date: Sunday, 20 October 2024 at 06:33 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1204) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12619079 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1201) (1202) (1203) (1204) (1205) (1206) (1207) ... (16831) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 1:42pm On Jul 11, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

Akpeyi has earned his spot, being first choice in the PSL no be beans. I guess Nigerians want god to leave his throne and come play for us because na only perfection go do una. Even Enyeama gifted Pogba a goal in the wc, all this talk is ridiculous. If the coach drops him, fine he is not the worst goalkeeper on earth.

Akas, Aggrey and Ali are servants of the NPFL they have earned a chance for the coach to look at them in closed quarters. After all there were 30 players selected and only 18 will make the match day squad.

God bless you my brother.

Ask them to name one keeper they feel should keep goal against Cameroon now dem no go fit.

They forget also that Akas, Aggrey and Ali all have Super Eagles experience. They think coaches just select players at random from every Conner to put in the national team.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 1:49pm On Jul 11, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

Akpeyi has earned his spot, being first choice in the PSL no be beans. I guess Nigerians want god to leave his throne and come play for us because na only perfection go do una. Even Enyeama gifted Pogba a goal in the wc, all this talk is ridiculous. If the coach drops him, fine he is not the worst goalkeeper on earth.

Akas, Aggrey and Ali are servants of the NPFL they have earned a chance for the coach to look at them in closed quarters. After all there were 30 players selected and only 18 will make the match day squad.

I rest my case cool,
that's if I have any against the list grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 1:52pm On Jul 11, 2017
Icon4s:

Ask them to name one keeper they feel should keep goal against Cameroon now dem no go fit.

They forget also that Akas, Aggrey and Ali all have Super Eagles experience. They think coaches just select players at random from every Conner to put in the national team.

aaaaahhhhh!!!!!!........ Oga cool down nah, no go let GK argument start ooo, cos dis one go carry us go 1300pages oooo grin grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 1:54pm On Jul 11, 2017
Madam ESEOSE9........ Y you dey hide behind curtain nah, abeg come out come say something ooooo cool
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:01pm On Jul 11, 2017
Official : Manchester City Midfielder Chidiebere Nwakali Extends Loan Agreement With Sogndal

Norwegian Tippeligaen club Sogndal Fotball have announced via their official website that they have extended their collaboration with Nigeria youth teamer Chidiebere Nwakali.

Premier League side Manchester City and Sogndal have reached an agreement that the loan deal will keep the central midfielder in Norway until the end of the 2017 season in November.

''I'm very excited that Chidi will be here until the end of the season," says sports director Håvard Flo.

''Chidi is one player with high technical level and great athleticism. He is one of the key players in our squad''.

Nwakali, 20, has featured fifteen times for Sogndal Fotball in the Norwegian top division, scoring one goal and only missed one league match this past weekend due to a red card suspension.

**Igho Kingsley

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=23729

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 2:37pm On Jul 11, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

Akpeyi is a poor keeper. I am not talking about making mistakes once in a while. His positioning, cross handling and control of his area are poor. Too poor for a national team keeper.

Was he not benched by Daniel in the Olympics?

Even within the NPFL, there are far better keepers.

In fact, I watched Rivers United keeper Akande against FUS Rabat, He is miles better than Akpeyi. One for the future. I will even argue that he is better than Ezenwa on the fundamentals.

Someone like Akande should be in the CHAN team. Too many poor choices in the CHAN team. Very disappointing

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 2:42pm On Jul 11, 2017
Icon4s:

Abegi, How many of these CHAN players have a super eagles future?? Those are the players we should be giving opportunities.

How about, we just select the best performers in the league??

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 2:47pm On Jul 11, 2017

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 2:48pm On Jul 11, 2017
tbaba1234:

Abegi, How many of these CHAN players have a super eagles future?? Those are the players we should be giving opportunities.

How about, we just select the best performers in the league??

Choosing the best performers is still subjective.
The coach may also have a list of players they feel they could work with. It happens everywhere.

Teams are not selected by robots but by humans. No matter who selects that CHAN list it will still receive criticisms.

Select yours now and see me peep through the loop holes in it.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 2:51pm On Jul 11, 2017
tbaba1234:

So based on that table now only those top 3 goalies should have been invited to the CHAN camp?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 2:58pm On Jul 11, 2017
Icon4s:

Choosing the best performers is still subjective.
The coach may also have a list of players they feel they could work with. It happens everywhere.

Teams are not selected by robots but by humans. No matter who selects that CHAN list it will still receive criticisms.

Select yours now and see me peep through the loop holes in it.

There are outstanding youngsters that have not been given a shot.

Statistics are there for a reason, they give you an objective assessment of a players performance. The best players in the premier League for instance usually have the best stats. Kante had the best tackling stats last year.

You can not ignore that and start inviting old players that have no super Eagles future.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 2:58pm On Jul 11, 2017
Icon4s:

So based on that table now only those top 3 goalies should have been invited to the CHAN camp?

Not top three necessarily but players with the top performances.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 3:06pm On Jul 11, 2017
tbaba1234:

Statistics are there for a reason, they give you an objective assessment of a players performance. The best players in the premier League for instance usually have the best stats. Kante had the best tackling stats last year.

You can not ignore that and start inviting old players that have no super Eagles future.

Name a top performing young player that was omitted.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 3:14pm On Jul 11, 2017
So they gonna have 3 Nigerian players next season. It's looks like I will switch my support from Chelsea to Leicester.

....the more the merrier!

O pari

TheSuperNerd:
Been following reports on this from various sources... and SkySports said a deal had been struck "in principle" and that a few issues with Nacho's reps need to be sorted (Remember the reps tussle over Nacho). The Leicester forum (Foxes talk) has also been buzzing with the latest on this Nacho deal.... they are eager to see it go over the line finally.... lol... Sun UK dropped a latest of Dortmund's, Monaco's and Tottenham's late interest for Nacho but I don't think they are concrete enough coz this Leicester deal seems close to me.... anyway... nothing is "wholly official" just yet....
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Man City Agrees £50m Buy Back Fee With Leicester City For Iheanacho, Set For Medicals This Week

Manchester City Nigerian forward Kelechi Iheanacho will seal a £29m move to Leicester City on Thursday on a four year deal, Owngoalnigeria.com can exclusively reveal.

The 20 year old will have his medicals on Wednesday when he returns to England after he was given extended break by coach Pep Guardiola due to his engagement in international matches with Nigeria during the off season.

Leicester City will pay Manchester City an initial fee of £22.5m for his services and they have also agreed on a buy back clause of £37.5m for the first four years of his stay with the Foxes.

However if Leicester are able to qualify for the Champions League during Iheanacho’s first your years at the club, and City want to exercise their buy back option, a fee of £50m has been agreed between both parties.

Furthermore his move to Leicester City have also made him the most expensive Nigerian player ever, and his new wage at Leicester City which is twice his current wage at Manchester City also makes him the highest paid Nigerian player in Europe.

**Daniel Martins

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/07/11/man-city-agrees-50m-buy-back-fee-with-leicester-city-for-iheanacho-set-for-medicals-this-week/

Note: Nacho is already in England.... he even reported for training at the Etihad.... and yes The Leicester deal is as close as ever despite distracting news of late interests as we have heard all summer so far....

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 3:19pm On Jul 11, 2017
BascoVanVeli:
Yusuf lists Ezenwa, Odey, 28 others for CHAN fixture

Super Eagles’ Chief Coach, Salisu Yusuf, has invited goalkeeper Ikechukwu Ezenwa and 29 other players to camp for next month’s 2018 African Nations Championship qualifying fixture against the winner between Togo and Benin Republic. Togo and Benin Republic will conclude their qualifying fixture this month.

Nigeria Professional Football League leading scorer Stephen Odey, Akwa United’s nimble –footed midfielder Alhassan Ibrahim, Elisha Golbe of League leaders Plateau United and Chiamaka Madu of champions Enugu Rangers are also called.

Kano Pillars’ experienced midfielder Rabiu Ali, Mathias Samuel of El-Kanemi Warriors, Nasarawa United’s Thomas Zenke and Sunday Adetunji of Abia Warriors will also report in camp.

Nigeria, 2014 bronze medallists, will lock horns with the winner of a preliminary fixture between the West African neighbours, with the first leg taking place on the weekend of 11th – 13th August in either Cotonou or Lome, and the return leg in Nigeria on Saturday, 19th August.

THE FULL LIST

Goalkeepers: Ikechukwu Ezenwa (FC IfeanyiUbah); Theophilus Afelokhai (Enyimba FC), Okiemute Odah (Lobi Stars), Dele Ajiboye (Plateau United)

Defenders: Jamiu Alimi (Kano Pillars); Orji Kalu (Rangers International); Stephen Eze (FC IfeanyiUbah); Ariwachukwu Emmanuel (Akwa United); Elisha Golbe (Plateau United); Chima Akas (Enyimba FC); Nasiru Sani (Katsina United), Osas Okoro (Rangers International), Chinedu Ajanah (ABS FC)

Midfielders: Hafiz Aremu (Akwa United); Emeka Atuloma (Rivers United); Raphael Ayagwa (Lobi Stars); Ifeanyi Ifeanyi (Akwa United); Rabiu Ali (Kano Pillars), Samuel Mathias (El-Kanemi Warriors), Alhassan Ibrahim (Akwa United), Chiamaka Madu (Rangers International)

Forwards: Mfon Udoh (Enyimba FC); Prince Aggreh (FC IfeanyiUbah); Sikiru Olatubosun (MFM FC), Thomas Zenke (Nasarawa United); Austin Oladapo (Gombe United), Stephen Odey (MFM FC); Kingsley Eduwo (Lobi Stars), SundayAdetunji (Abia Warriors), Ifeanyi George (Rangers International)

Kwrruption list. Kwrruption everywhere. cry
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 3:23pm On Jul 11, 2017
Kpom! You don tok am finish.

No need to add anything else.

O pari

tbaba1234:

Akpeyi is a poor keeper. I am not talking about making mistakes once in a while. His positioning, cross handling and control of his area are poor. Too poor for a national team keeper.

In fact, I watched Rivers United keeper Akande against FUS Rabat, He is miles better than Akpeyi. One for the future. I will even argue that he is better than Ezenwa on the fundamentals.

Someone like Akande should be in the CHAN team. Too many poor choices in the CHAN team. Very disappointing
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 3:25pm On Jul 11, 2017
tbaba1234:

The Kwrruption coach will always invite Ikechuckwu Ezenwa who is just making the number.

Tell the coach to use him against Cameroon and see how fear fear go grip their souls. Little wonder he never features in any of our qualifiers despite been the second keeper behind Carl Ikeme. If they have confidence in him, why search for another keeper when ever Carl Ikeme is injured? shocked grin

Dem know say Ezenwa na bad market. grin

Instead of scouting for better player dem go dey bring Ezenwa. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 3:32pm On Jul 11, 2017
tbaba1234:

So u tell me that a guy who played one match in the champions league is ur selected keeper? This show u have limited knowledge of The NPFL because Akande is a 3rd choice keeper for Rivers. That is not how selections are made, the coach called up 2 experienced keepers and brought in a couple new guys also.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 3:37pm On Jul 11, 2017
Icon4s:

After the SA loss there has been a poor attitude towards Salisu Yusuf but this is the guy we were hyping after he brought out the Mali and Luxembourg list. Now I guess he forgoten about football.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 3:45pm On Jul 11, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Iwobi Listed, Nwakali To Remain In London As Wenger List Players For Training Tour

Coach of Arsenal Arsene Wenger has released the list of players who are going to Australia for a pre season training tour, where they are expected to play some tune up games.

Two senior players linked with a move away from the team Wojciech Szczesny and Lucas Perez were left out by the manager, while Alexis Sanchez, Shokdran Mustafi and Hector Bellerin were omitted due to their involvement in International games in the off season.

Alex Iwobi is the only Nigerian in the travelling party to Australia, as Wenger omitted Kelechi Nwakali who is back at the club after a loan spell in Holland with MVV Maastricht.

Full Squad:

Petr Cech (GK)

Emi Martinez (GK)

David Ospina (GK)

Krystian Bielik

Cohen Bramall

Francis Coquelin

Mohamed Elneny

Olivier Giroud

Alex Iwobi

Sead Kolasinac

Laurent Koscielny

Alexandre Lacazette

Ainsley Maitland-Niles

Donyell Malen

Per Mertesacker

Nacho Monreal

Reiss Nelson

Eddie Nketiah

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

Mesut Ozil

Aaron Ramsey

Theo Walcott

Danny Welbeck

Joe Willock

Granit Xhaka

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/07/10/iwobi-listed-nwakali-to-remain-in-london-as-wenger-list-players-for-training-tour/

Wow !!! 6 months ago Cohen Bramall was playing non league for Hednesford fc and working full time.

After being rejected on trial by Keele Town, Sheffield Wednesday, Crystal palace, Crewe Alexandrite, and even Shrewsbury Town rejected him.

Then his agent gets him to Arsenal trains with the first team on the 2nd day Wenger says sign him.

Who says English football is not intrinsically corrupt it's not just Naija.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 3:51pm On Jul 11, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

After the SA loss there has been a poor attitude towards Salisu Yusuf but this is the guy we were hyping after he brought out the Mali and Luxembourg list. Now I guess he forgoten about football.

Nigerians are terrible losers.

They have also extended same to Rohr.

What would they have said when Clemence Westerhoff lost 5-1 to Algeria in the opening game of his maiden tournament.?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:04pm On Jul 11, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

So u tell me that a guy who played one match in the champions league is ur selected keeper? This show u have limited knowledge of The NPFL because Akande is a 3rd choice keeper for Rivers. That is not how selections are made, the coach called up 2 experienced keepers and brought in a couple new guys also.

I said people like Akande not necessarily him. Young, talented keepers.

What is our goal for CHAN? Is it to continue recycling the same players that can not cut it at Super Eagles level or start giving exposure to the young talents. I am absolutely fine if we do not win it but discover one or two gems. As it is, there are no gems to be found.

My position on CHAN has always been the same. Do not select players above a certain age range.. This list is a waste of time because we have not selected the best.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 4:08pm On Jul 11, 2017
tbaba1234:

Who is this youngster? Is it Alhassan with 11 goals? Or Samuel Matthias with the same amount? Is it Afeez Aremu aka Akwa Busquets or Ifeanyi Ifeanyi Akwa Xavi? Sunday Adetunji who has hit double digits in back to back years and even an unknown Ariwachukwu and Ifeanyi George who have been shinning this season. The team is packed with goals and youth.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:08pm On Jul 11, 2017
Icon4s:

What would they have said when Clemence Westerhoff lost 5-1 to Algeria in the opening game of his maiden tournament.?

I do not know how my comment is related to being a bad loser..

My thoughts on Akpeyi has been the same for a long time.

My thoughts of What I thought should constitute the CHAN team has not changed either. I have made these comments severally on this page.

So I do not understand the link to our loss when I have been repeatedly saying the same thing.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:12pm On Jul 11, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

Who is this youngster? Is it Alhassan with 11 goals? Or Samuel Matthias with the same amount? Is it Afeez Aremu aka Akwa Busquets or Ifeanyi Ifeanyi Akwa Xavi? Sunday Adetunji who has hit double digits in back to back years and even an unknown Ariwachukwu and Ifeanyi George who have been shinning this season. The team is packed with goals and youth.

There are several players who have no business there. Especially in midfield and in the defence.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 4:16pm On Jul 11, 2017
tbaba1234:

I said people like Akande not necessarily him. Young, talented keepers.

What is our goal for CHAN? Is it to continue recycling the same players that can not cut it at Super Eagles level or start giving exposure to the young talents. I am absolutely fine if we do not win it but discover one or two gems. As it is, there are no gems to be found.

My position on CHAN has always been the same. Do not select players above a certain age range.. This list is a waste of time because we have not selected the best.

U don't need Rohr to tell u that this is a must win. We need a team and teams must have leaders.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 4:22pm On Jul 11, 2017
Icon4s:

U are only as good as ur last match in Nigeria. The worst is if there is reasonable space between ur next one. If we had gotten the Togo result after SA few would bring up so much. Now everyone is so sure that our coaches take bribe or are nitwits.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:22pm On Jul 11, 2017
Alimi is not the best defender in the league. He is a bench warmer at Pillars.
Rabiu Ali has no business there
Goalkeeping list should have had Suraj Ayeleso of Nasarawa, who has been the best this year. Afelokhai has been benched for Dauda

Several young prospects are missing, Ikomwuen is benching Akas but is not selected, Mbaoma of Remo Stars, Daniel Itodo Plateau, Sanna Abanni, etc

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 4:31pm On Jul 11, 2017
tbaba1234:

There are several players who have no business there. Especially in midfield and in the defence.

Name them and I will give u an honest answer if I agree or not.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:36pm On Jul 11, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

Name them and I will give u an honest answer if I agree or not.

tbaba1234:
Goalkeeping list should have had Suraj Ayeleso of Nasarawa, who has been the best this year. Afelokhai has been benched for Dauda

Several young prospects are missing, Ikomwuen is benching Akas but is not selected, Mbaoma of Remo Stars, Daniel Itodo Plateau, Sanna Abanni, etc
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 4:45pm On Jul 11, 2017
tbaba1234:

I read the same article u got that from. The coach alternates Chima and Ikomwuen so no big deal. Chima is a capped player Ikomwuen is not. Rabiu is still banging goals in Kano, Mbaoma is on a relegated team basically while we have Odey and Adetunji 27 goals combined. Itodo is a player I love but u can't really make a case for a player when all he is know for are long throws. Alimi was a bench warmer and almost moved to Akwa in the window until the new coach ensured him of playing time. This is a chan capped player with an eagles call up as early as last year.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:54pm On Jul 11, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

I read the same article u got that from. The coach alternates Chima and Ikomwuen so no big deal. Chima is a capped player Ikomwuen is not. Rabiu is still banging goals in Kano, Mbaoma is on a relegated team basically while we have Odey and Adetunji 27 goals combined. Itodo is a player I love but u can't really make a case for a player when all he is know for are long throws. Alimi was a bench warmer and almost moved to Akwa in the window until the new coach ensured him of playing time. This is a chan capped player with an eagles call up as early as last year.

Is Akas the best left back in the league? Who has played more, Akas or Ikom?

Why should Alimi be invited based on previous invites even as a bench warmer?

Why are the keepers with the best records ignored?

How many goals has Rabiu scored this year?

Why can't we just select the best players for CHAN instead of bench warmers? It is not a major competition.

What about Austin CB for Rivers ahead of Alimi? At least, he has some experience on the continent and is decent.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (1201) (1202) (1203) (1204) (1205) (1206) (1207) ... (16831) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Sugarboyy(m), Subzerooo, bennie1980(m), humility33(m), Henrique99 and 14 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.