Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,202,014 members, 7,980,598 topics. Date: Sunday, 20 October 2024 at 06:32 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1205) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12619079 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1202) (1203) (1204) (1205) (1206) (1207) (1208) ... (16831) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by asunmoGGMU(m): 5:14pm On Jul 11, 2017
When I see name like Chinedu Ajannah of ABS fc, I get disturbed with the list.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 5:22pm On Jul 11, 2017
tbaba1234:

Is Akas the best left back in the league? Who has played more, Akas or Ikom?

Why should Alimi be invited based on previous invites even as a bench warmer?

Why are the keepers with the best records ignored?

How many goals has Rabiu scored this year?

Why can't we just select the best players for CHAN instead of bench warmers? It is not a major competition.

What about Austin CB for Rivers ahead of Alimi? At least, he has some experience on the continent and is decent.

What u are saying is not right, these are players with CHAN experience and without blinking u are willing to write them off for players you don't know about. I thought u had real beef with the list but instead u are just repeating what u read in an article. The coach didn't invite only these players at their position, there is appropriate competition in each spot so picking on just these players makes no sense. As for keepers last I checked Plateau lead the log but u made sure u overlooked that their keeper was selected.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 5:26pm On Jul 11, 2017
issam‏ @issam_LFC · Jul 7

� Supporters gauge | Who's the better signing? Retweet for #Solanke (19) to Liverpool (~£3m). Like for #Iheanacho (20) to Leicester (~£25m).
0 replies 4 retweets 4 likes

Keleshi Iheanacho ; PL & CL for Man City:

Starts: 13
Goals: 14
Assists: 4

���

#lcfc #Iheanacho

3 replies 5 retweets 38 likes

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 5:29pm On Jul 11, 2017
NPFL's senior citizens (1)
Published on Tuesday, 11 July 2017 09:40 Hits: 209

By Clement Nwankpa Jr

The Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) is replete with experienced players. Players who have lit up the stage for over a decade now but are still around to guide the younger ones.

In difference to their age and sometimes in a show of love, the younger players are known to have created several sobriquets in place of the real names of their long serving colleagues. It is common to hear some being hailed ‘Senior man’, ‘Big boss’, ‘Egbon’ for those in the South west area and in the South east, you hear ‘nnukwu mmadu’ and such other names.

Some are still competing favourably with the younger players while others could be said to be on the exit lounge. How much longer can these players hang in there? In this two parts serial, we chronicle these NPFL 'senior citizens'.

ISIAKA OLAWALE (EL-KANEMI)
Olawale has seen it all in the NPFL. The midfield craftsman has traversed the length and breadth of the nation in a career that has seen him play in the elite league for about 15 years. His former employers include Dolphins, Lobi, Kwara United and Enyimba. Currently at ElKanemi, the Sand Eagles captain has shown no signs of slowing down. He had some stint with the Super Eagles in 2007 during Berti Vogts' tenure.

ROTIMI SUNDAY (RIVERS UNITED)
This is the father of them all, arguably the oldest player in the league. In an NPFL career that spans almost two decades, Rotimi made his Super Eagles debut in an AFCON qualifier against Namibia in Windhoek in 2001 when he substituted injured keeper, Austin Ejide. His consistency between the sticks over the years is commendable. Noteworthy is that he is still first choice at Rivers United where he was largely instrumental to their second place finish last season. He buttresses the saying that in goalkeeping, old wines taste better.

CHINEDU EFUGH (ABIA WARRIORS)
Chicago had his formative years in Jos but he had most of his one decade NPFL stint in the east filing out for Oriental heavyweights Rangers and Heartland before pitching his tent with Abia Warriors. It was at Heartland, where he rose to the position of captain, that he established himself as one of the standout central defenders in the league. He led Heartland to back-to-back Federation Cup victories in 2011/12. He quit the club when the Naze millionaires were relegated at the end of last season and has been getting his fair share of game at Warriors.

EMMANUEL OLOWO (PLATEAU UNITED)
Babao, is one of the most experienced around. He has found playing time restricted at table toppers, Plateau but he has been a major source of inspiration to the younger players at the club. Olowo is part of the famed twin tower at the heart of Heartland defense as they lost to TP Mazembe in the 2009 Champions League final. His selling point is his tough, uncompromising stance which makes him a nightmare for defenders. He is finding it hard these days to cope with the pace of the modern game but at his peak he was such a colossus. After staying six seasons at Heartland, he has now changed clubs each season since 2014.

JOHN GAADI (PLATEAU UNITED)
In one of Plateau's home games, this writer had seen Gaadi sitting beside Olowo on the bench and had jokingly asked the duo; "are you people doing elders council meeting?". They laughed it off. But after Rotimi, Gaadi is easily the most experienced keeper in the league. He was involved during the golden era of Enyimba in 2007. The big keeper was such a soothing presence between the sticks. These days, he has found it hard upstaging the younger, in-form Dele Ajiboye but surely, there's a lot Dele could learn from him. His list of former employers include Gombe United, Heartland, Sunshine, Akwa United, Sharks, Abia Warriors and Lobi.

DAVID TYAVKASE (LOBI)
It is amazing to still see Tyavkase sustain a starting place at Lobi. The playmaker is still his old incisive self with the probing runs and penetrating passes just as the long range canons, his major selling point, are still intact. All these, 14 years after he helped Enyimba win that maiden Champions League title. His current form is a testament to his longevity. When asked the secret of his staying ability in the game, he had replied; "live and let live. One day at a time". He is very much at home in his native Makurdi and has the dream of helping return Lobi to the continent. He had brief stints with Mangasports and US Bitam in Gabon in 2015.

OKEY ODITA (RANGERS)
Okey will go down in history as captain of the Rangers squad that broke a 32 year jinx by winning the NPFL. But even then, it was obvious he was struggling with the pace of today's game. Who wouldn't be? One can't cheat nature. He has been around for a while. His guidance however sufficed as the Flying Antelopes won the title against the odds. This term, though, he has found game time more difficult as the coaches opt for the younger defenders. One thing that can't be taken away from Okey, though, is that he has managed to remain competitive till now. It won't be a surprise if he calls it a day soon, on active football. Some of his contemporaries are now playing veterans football (All Stars). His solitary cap for the Super Eagles came in 2004.

THANKGOD IKE (SUNSHINE STARS)
Thankgod was Olowo's partner in that famed Heartland twin defensive tower that lost the 2009 Champions League final by the odd goal. For the past one decade, he has been a mainstay in the domestic scene with stints at Heartland, Warri Wolves and Enyimba. For a player used to fighting for the title, he is currently in an unfamiliar terrain battling relegation with Sunshine. One hopes his experience will suffice to help the team avoid the drop. It is still amazing, though, to note that despite having seen and done it all, he is still driven by the passion to play regularly. He recently revealed that he quit Enyimba for Sunshine because he desires to play regularly. Nothing lasts forever...Back in the days, Ike could stroll into any club's starting 11.

CHINEDU UDOJI (KANO PILLARS)
While Liverpool legend Steven Gerard brought the sobriquet 'Captain Fantastic' to global acclaim, the usage in the domestic scene is traced more to Udoji. Enyimba won many battles with him wearing the captain's band. And there were many moments he surged forward to score late goals and secured vital points for the People's Elephant. One such moment was in the 2015/16 home fixture between Enyimba and Lobi stars. Lobi led 2-1 and with just four minutes separating them and a famous away victory, Udoji surged forward and nodded in the equaliser. He moved to Pillars this season where he has maintained a starting place. The hard-as-nail defender who could also play in holding midfield, was part of NPFL All Stars team to Spain last year. He recently marked his 10th year in the NPFL, but it just seems he has been around 'forever'.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:34pm On Jul 11, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

What u are saying is not right, these are players with CHAN experience and without blinking u are willing to write them off for players you don't know about. I thought u had real beef with the list but instead u are just repeating what u read in an article. The coach didn't invite only these players at their position, there is appropriate competition in each spot so picking on just these players makes no sense. As for keepers last I checked Plateau lead the log but u made sure u overlooked that their keeper was selected.

I did not read any article. I saw an article posted here and I did not even read its contents. My first look at the list with all the old guns was that, it was poor. I read some thoughts on social media that reinforced my first impressions.

Which one is CHAN experience? Any player in the local league can play in CHAN. What about some of the players with continental experience?

You have not answered the questions..

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 5:57pm On Jul 11, 2017
tbaba1234:

I did not read any article. I saw an article posted here and I did not even read its contents. My first look at the list with all the old guns was that, it was poor. I read some thoughts on social media that reinforced my first impressions.

Which one is CHAN experience? Any player in the local league can play in CHAN. What about some of the players with continental experience?

U are funny any player in the league can also play AFCON but what does that have to do with taking players with experience? U are being mischievous, u named 4 players and now u are saying the team is filled with old legs. News flash! This might end up being the youngest team ever taken to CHAN by us.

Rivers are poor in the league so I guess the coach evened it out. This is not the final team we have more matches ahead.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:06pm On Jul 11, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

U are funny any player in the league can also play AFCON but what does that have to do with taking players with experience? U are being mischievous, u named 4 players and now u are saying the team is filled with old legs. News flash! This might end up being the youngest team ever taken to CHAN by us.

Rivers are poor in the league so I guess the coach evened it out. This is not the final team we have more matches ahead.

Discussing with you is tiresome. Always personal attacks.

'You hate league players'
'You are funny'
'You are mischievous'

Can you just talk about issues without personal jibes?? Na wa oh.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 6:21pm On Jul 11, 2017
tbaba1234:

Discussing with you is tiresome. Always personal attacks.

'You hate league players'
'You are funny'
'You are mischievous'

Can you just talk about issues without personal jibes?? Na wa oh.

What's so personal about the truth?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:35pm On Jul 11, 2017
Lillestrom Sign Unknown Ezeh From Nigerian Academy
By Johnny Edward

Norwegian side, Lillestrom SK has signed Chinedu Ezeh, on a four year deal from Gee-Lec International Football Academy Jos for a fee of $120,000, reports Completesportsnigeria.com.

The 19 year old central midfielder who had been on trials at the club for over three weeks is delighted to have made his dream move.

"I'm glad to be here and I look forward to the opportunity I have been given," Ezeh told the club's official website.

According to the player's agent, Atta Aneke, two other young NIgerian players Isaac Boye (19) and Moses Ebiya (20) are also undergoing a one week trials at the club.

"Lillestrom SK will get the opportunity to see them a bit before they decide," he told Completesportsnigeria.com

Source: http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/lillestrom-sign-unknown-ezeh-nigerian-academy/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:41pm On Jul 11, 2017
Official : Two Nigerian Talents Sign New Deals With Reading

EFL Championship outfit Reading have announced their new intake of academy scholars ahead of the 2017-2018 season.
According to the official website of the Royals, fifteen bright talents, including two players of Nigerian descent, have been offered new deals, which will keep them at the club for the next two years.

Ayominde Faniyan and Emmanuel Obamakinwa have been included in the intakes, and both players are sixteen-year-olds.
They will be hoping to follow in the footsteps of Nigeria international Hope Akpan and ex-Portugal youth international of Nigerian parentage Tiago Ilori, who have played for the first team of Reading.

Faniyan and Obamakinwa have earned automatic promotions and will represent Reading U18s in the forthcoming season.

**Ifeanyi Emmanuel
Photo Credit : readingfc.co.uk

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=23734

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:48pm On Jul 11, 2017
UCL Playoffs : King Battles Ogu , Nwakaeme In Isreal ; Olaitan Also Set For Action
By Johnny Edward

Super Eagles midfielder John Ogu, could find himself being marked by his former Flying Sports Academy teammate Ikenne King when Hapoel Beer Sheva host Hungarian League champions, Honved Budapest in Wednesday's 2017/2018 UEFA Champions League second preliminary round qualification clash at the Yaakov Turner Toto Stadium, reports Completesportsnigeria.com.

The 29 year old Nigeria international who is equally looking forward playing against Honved reveals that he is in good shape after the summer break.

He was also wary of the threat Ikenne could pose to his side's chances on the field of play.

"I have worked and gotten myself prepared for the objectives ahead. Looking forward to the UCL playoffs starting on Wednesday," Ogu tells Completesportsnigeria.com.

"I can't wait to come up against Ikenne. I told him back in June during our holidays that we could be paired against each other and it has happened. Now we just need to face each other and defend our teams to the best of our abilities."

Ogu has made six appearances and has scored once. For King, it will be his debut appearance in the competition.

His compatriot Anthony Nwakaeme will hope to open his goal account for the Camels when he make his seventh UEFA Champions League qualification appearance having provided one assist so far in the competition.

Also expected to play a crucial part in his team's quest for a third round berth in the competition is Olaitan Yusuf who will feature for seven time Slovakian champions, MSK Zilina who face reigning Danish champion FC Copenhagen in another encounter on Wednesday.

The former U-17, U20 and U-23 forward scored 11 goals in 18 appearances last season for Zilina as they lifted the title.

UCL PLAYOFFS FULL FIXTURES

Tuesday, July 11

Qarabag FK vs Samtredia

Hibernians vs Salzburg

Partizan Beograd vs Buducnost Podgorica

Rijeka vs TNS

Wednesday, July 12

FK Spartaks vs FC Astana

APOEL Nicosia vs F91 Dudelange

FC Sheriff vs Kukesi

Hapoel Beer Sheva vs Budapest Honved

Malmoe FF vs FK Vardar Skopje

Zrinjski Mostar vs Maribor

BATE Borisov vs Alashkert FC

IFK Mariehamn vs Legia Warszawa

Zalgiris Vilnius vs Ludogorets Razgrad

Zilina vs FC Koebenhavn

Dundalk vs Rosenborg

FH Hafnarfjordur vs Vikingur

Source: http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/ucl-playoffs-king-battles-ogu-nwakaeme-isreal-olaitan-also-set-action/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 7:28pm On Jul 11, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Nigeria League Expert Blast Salisu Yusuf 30 Man List For CHAN Qualifiers

An ardent follower of the Nigeria Professional Football League Mohammed Mowiz Suleiman has taken a swipe at coach of the Super Eagles of Nigeria Salisu Yusuf, who recently released a 30 man list for the 2018 Total African Nations Championship (CHAN) Qualifiers tie against the winner of the clash between Togo and Benin Republic.

The tournament which is for players based in the domestic league is held every two years, and Nigeria have twice qualified for the Championship in 2014 and 2016 respectively, and will be hoping to be at the 2018 edition.

Former Kano Pillars manager Salisu Yusuf has been mandated by coach Gernot Rohr to handle the team, and the coach has taken the first step in that direction by calling up 30 players for a camping exercise in Kaduna later this month.

Mowiz as he is popularly called has watched all teams in the league this season at least twice, and aside been a journalist he is part of an extensive network of scouts monitoring players of the Nigeria Professional Football League.

Here is his take on the list.

Goalkeepers:

Theophilus Afelokhai has been in and out of the squad of Enyimba, while Okiemute Odah has hardly kept goal for Lobi Stars. I’m shocked at the none inclusion of Suraj Ayeleso who is by far the best goalkeeper in the league this season, as a matter of fact the Nasarawa United man has more clean sheets than any goalkeeper this season. His non inclusion is a crime against football, especially as the goalkeeper trainer of his team happens to be one of the assistants of Yusuf.

Defenders:

So many names need explanation like Kalu Orji who isn’t the same player he was two years ago, and how on earth is Osas Okoro listed as a defender. We all know him as a winger. What about Chima Akas who hardly plays at Enyimba? The young boy Udoh Ikouwem has taken his spot.

Jamiu Alimi hasn’t played up to ten games this season, on what grounds was he picked? . Where is Daniel Itodo of Plateau United ?, what is Nasiru Sani of Katsina United doing in the list?, heavy, slow and very poor defensively. This is sad.

Midfielders:

Douglas Achiv of Lobi Stars and Destiny Ashadi of Katsina United, and the MFM midfield dynamo Onuwa are the three players who have taken the league by storm as midfielders.

Samuel Mathias of El-Kanemi Warriors is the one player in that list who clearly earned his spot in the team, and of course Alhassan Ibrahim just has to be there, by far a contender for the player of the season.

Attackers:

If at all a player will be picked in the attack of Gombe United it should be Afolabi Abdulwaheed and not Austine Oladapo who plays as a midfielder. Abdullahi, Kingsley Eduwo isn’t the top scorer at Lobi Stars, Anthony Okpotu is, so how was he not selected?

Where are the exciting prospects we have in the league in attack?. Sunday Faleye of Shooting Stars, Richard Jonathan of Wikki Tourist, Sanni Abanni of Gombe United, Victor Mboama of Remo Stars?

Finally:

I will score Salisu Yusuf 4/10, this list like I said on twitter has proven true the fact that you can’t trust a local coach with the job of the senior national team of Nigeria.

**Osas Mahawi

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/07/10/nigeria-league-expert-blast-salisu-yusuf-30-man-list-for-chan-qualifiers/

I think the national team coaches should be made to name their call up list in a press conference. Where journalists will have the benefit of asking for some explanations. But in the absence of that. I will take exception to some points raised by the "expert".

According to him, Afelokhai shouldn't be listed, but surprising enough, he has one of the better stats in the league. I can understand the reservations about the non calling up for the Nasarawa keeper but the truth is that goalkeepers shouldn't be rated by the number of clean sheets. Last season, the best keeper in the league Nana Bonsu was not the keeper with the most clean sheets but he was rated as the best keeper. In England Schmeichel had the most clean sheets in the run up to Leicester City winning the league, I'm sure it is very clear that if we are to rate the best keepers in England, Schmeichel may not get to the top 5.
Further more, Jordan Pickford conceeded tons of goal in the relegation run for Sunderland but he transfered to Everton for 30M. The real stats to judge goalkeepers are shots per save not necessarily clean sheets because the defensive set up of the team in question can help an average keeper rack up piles of clean sheets.

For the defenders, I don't know about Jamiu Alimi this season,but from what I witnessed over the past 3 seasons, he is one of the better defenders. Stephen Eze is a good option in defence. Tall, big and strong, he's been impressive.
Kalu Orji deserves his place in the mix. I don't know what the expert is talking about but Kalu orji, with Odita were the trojans in defence that helped Rangers to the title. He has been pretty solid this season. He's my favourite defender there.

Unfortunately the acclaimed expert haven't been following proceedings closely this season he sounds surprised Osas Okoro was listed as a defender. If he had been following the league this season, he will have known Osas Okoro was converted to a RWB this season where he has blossomed. Honestly, Osas Okoro should be staking a claim to the right back position for the super eagles. If what I saw of Shehu against SA is the benchmark for the Eagles Right back position, Osas should be banging on the doors of the main Super Eagles. He's been that good this season.

Coming to the midfield position, Chukwuka Onuwa of Mfm omission should be explained. Bright Silas, the Rangers Outside 7 have to be listed. He's been performing really well, top prospect.

I think the attack is the best we can assemble so far in the league. Mfom Udoh, Odeh, Ifeanyi George, Alhassan, etc have goals in them. In my opinion.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:34pm On Jul 11, 2017
tbaba1234:

I said people like Akande not necessarily him. Young, talented keepers.

What is our goal for CHAN? Is it to continue recycling the same players that can not cut it at Super Eagles level or start giving exposure to the young talents. I am absolutely fine if we do not win it but discover one or two gems. As it is, there are no gems to be found.

My position on CHAN has always been the same. Do not select players above a certain age range.. This list is a waste of time because we have not selected the best.

Pure Brilliance. I throway Salute.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 7:43pm On Jul 11, 2017
tbaba1234:

I am with you on this bro....
I had to evade sir icons4 defense of salisu and his questionable chan list....
especially in that goal keeping department...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 7:51pm On Jul 11, 2017
Positive moves

Theo Solomon to Gent, big chance to explode
Bonaventure to Brugge
Agbo to Liege
Onyekuru to Anderlecht
Iheanacho to Leicester, more game time

Bad moves

All the turkey moves.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 8:03pm On Jul 11, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

Who is this youngster? Is it Alhassan with 11 goals? Or Samuel Matthias with the same amount? Is it Afeez Aremu aka Akwa Busquets or Ifeanyi Ifeanyi Akwa Xavi? Sunday Adetunji who has hit double digits in back to back years and even an unknown Ariwachukwu and Ifeanyi George who have been shinning this season. The team is packed with goals and youth.
just leave people and their criticism,if ask them to name just 5 players that should have been there,they won't but they will always criticise every list no matter how good d the list is.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 8:12pm On Jul 11, 2017
forgiveness:

Kwrruption list. Kwrruption everywhere. cry
Now let me ask u one question, if u are been asked to make a 22-man list that every body will accept and satisfied with ,do u think u will b able to do it. If u actually think so,it means that u r perfect, but the last I checked,no one is perfect.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:20pm On Jul 11, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

issam‏ @issam_LFC · Jul 7

� Supporters gauge | Who's the better signing? Retweet for #Solanke (19) to Liverpool (~£3m). Like for #Iheanacho (20) to Leicester (~£25m).
0 replies 4 retweets 4 likes

Keleshi Iheanacho ; PL & CL for Man City:

Starts: 13
Goals: 14
Assists: 4

���

#lcfc #Iheanacho

3 replies 5 retweets 38 likes

I am not understanding. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:33pm On Jul 11, 2017
forgiveness:

I am not understanding. grin

It was just a post on twitter that caught the eye, it's pretty self explanatory.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:43pm On Jul 11, 2017
24 GOAL NIGERIAN STARLET HINTS AT POSSIBLE FUTURE ARSENAL SWITCH

By David Tully.

Everton winger Henry Onyekuru has admitted he still wants to join Arsenal one day, even though he chose the Toffees over the Gunners this summer in a £6.8m deal.

The Nigerian international told Belgian news outlet Sporza that he wanted first team football straight away in order to improve his game. The 20 year old has been sent straight out on loan to Belgian Pro League champions Anderlecht where he will get to play European football next season:

“It was not an easy choice because since childhood I have been a fan of Arsenal. But I think I have time. I have to do it step by step, Anderlecht are a good team for young player like me. Most importantly, I can play.”

For KAS Eupen last campaign, Onyekuru played mostly from the left wing, but he scored 24 goals and provided nine assists in 41 games in all competitions. Ten of those goals however came in the end of season playoffs against the the weakest teams in the Pro League.

With Anderlecht, he will play both in the Champions League and most likely in the League championship playoff round next season, where the quality of opposition will be much tougher.

Source: https://gunnersphere.com/2017/07/tabloid-talk/24-goal-nigerian-starlet-hints-at-possible-future-arsenal-switch/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:58pm On Jul 11, 2017
Ajagun Can ’ t Save Kortrijk From Defeat To Former Club Panathinaikos
By James Agberebi

Nigerian midfielder, Abduljeleel Ajagun, was in action for his new Belgian top flight club KV Kortrijk who lost 2-1 to his former club Panathinaikos in a pre-season game in the Netherlands on Tuesday.

Ajagun joined Panathinaikos from Dolphins (now Rivers United) in 2013, and featured in 85 games, scoring 14 goals but the former Flying Eagles star linked up with Kortrijk this summer.

Ajagun was brought on in the 26th minute for Medjon Hoxha in Tuesday's game as Omri Altman gave Panathinaikos the lead in the 28th minute before Idir Ouali equalised for Kortrijk on 32 minutes.

Guillermo Molins scored the winner for Panathinaikos when he converted a 42nd minute penalty.

The game was Kortrijk's third pre-season game and their second defeat.

They will take on English Championship club Reading in their next pre-season game on Saturday.

Last week, Ajagun joined Kortrijk on a two year deal with an option of another year.

In January 2016, he spent six months on loan at Greek first division side, Levadiakos, before he joined Dutch club Roda JC last year.

Source: http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/ajagun-cant-save-kortrijk-defeat-former-club-panathinaikos/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 9:06pm On Jul 11, 2017
tbaba1234:
Positive moves

Bonaventure to Brugge
Agbo to Liege
Onyekuru to Anderlecht

Bad moves

All the turkey moves.

Lol...I will pick the Belgian league any time any day ...
I even prefer some of our players getting regular playtime in China to some Turkish based players..
I hate that league wit passion.....I see it as one for tired legs
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 9:08pm On Jul 11, 2017
Napoleon55:
just leave people and their criticism,if ask them to name just 5 players that should have been there,they won't but they will always criticise every list no matter how good d the list is.
point of correction.... they're some sport loving Nigerians that are more knowledgeable about players than some of these coaches....
I remember how keshi...ignorantly replied when asked about otigba....
please forget it....some of us here know about Nigeria players abroad than some of these coaches who don't even know if they're Nigerians
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:09pm On Jul 11, 2017
Exclusive – Chelsea Loanee Ola Aina Cleared By FIFA To Represent Nigeria Against Cameroon

Hull City on loan Chelsea defender Ola Aina has been given the all clear by world football governing body FIFA to represent Nigeria against the Indomitable Lions of Cameroon when both teams clash in the World Cup 2018 Qualifiers, Owngoalnigeria.com can exclusively reveal.

Aina who completed his switch from Chelsea to Hull City on loan applied to switch allegiance from England to Nigeria after representing England at various youth levels.

FIFA contacted England to transfer his nationality to Nigeria, but the English FA delayed the process and it cost Aina a spot in the Super Eagles team that lost 0-2 to South Africa in the AFCON 2019 Qualifiers in Uyo.

However England have submitted their own documents to FIFA, who were unable to rule on the application due to the rigours and demands of the recently concluded Confederations Cup played in Russia.

Owngoalnigeria.com gathered from a source at the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) that FIFA have given the green light for Aina to represent Nigeria, if he is called up by coach Gernot Rohr.

Rohr has long hinted that he wants the defender who can play conveniently across the back four to represent Nigeria as he believes he could be the solution to the full back woes troubling the team right now.

**Ade Emmanuel

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/07/11/exclusive-chelsea-loanee-ola-aina-cleared-by-fifa-to-represent-nigeria-against-cameroon/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:21pm On Jul 11, 2017
Exclusive – Super Eagles Star Moses Simon Replies Rumours Of €7.5m Move To Lyon

Gent of Belgium forward Moses Simon has reacted to news circulated on social media that he has agreed to join French side Olympique Lyon after a transfer fee in the region of €7.5m was paid for his services.

News broke out from sources in France about Simon moving to Lyon, and it was immediately picked up by various news outlet in Belgium, France and Nigeria.

Simon told Owngoalnigeria.com that although he might yet leave Gent this summer, rumours of a move away from the team to Lyon is not true, and he added he won’t be sad if he remains at Gent.

” It’s not true, I’m still at Gent but for how long? I honestly don’t know. I will not be disappointed if I remain here because I am well loved and respected by the coaches and club fans”, Simon told Owngoalnigeria.com.

“I’m 100% focused on helping Gent do well next season, hence my dedication to training is still the same like the first day I came here. We have a big season ahead but we have the squad to cope”.

**Osas Mahawi

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/07/11/exclusive-super-eagles-star-moses-simon-replies-rumours-of-e7-5m-move-to-lyon/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 9:38pm On Jul 11, 2017
Humility017:

point of correction.... they're some sport loving Nigerians that are more knowledgeable about players than some of these coaches....
I remember how keshi...ignorantly replied when asked about otigba....
please forget it....some of us here know about Nigeria players abroad than some of these coaches who don't even know if they're Nigerians
then make a 22-man list,let's analyze ur list and see if everybody here will consider it perfect, if u are unable to do this,there is point correcting me.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:03pm On Jul 11, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

U don't need Rohr to tell u that this is a must win. We need a team and teams must have leaders.
Exactly.

Even if you are parading a large number of debutantes / greenhorns you need some experienced players as leaders of the team. That is why we lost to SA we did not
have a leader among the forward players.

Look at the German team to the just completed FIFA confederations cup: packed with youth but with some experienced legs to lead the team.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:06pm On Jul 11, 2017
Napoleon55:
then make a 22-man list,let's analyze ur list and see if everybody here will consider it perfect, if u are unable to do this,there is point correcting me.

It is always easier as a critic.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:30pm On Jul 11, 2017
tbaba1234:
Positive moves

Bonaventure to Brugge
Agbo to Liege
Onyekuru to Anderlecht

Bad moves

All the turkey moves.

I wouldn't agree with you completely, the Turkish league is in the top 10 in Europe, 5 places higher than the Austrian league and even. Higher than the Dutch league.

If you can play for the top teams in Turkey it's still a route to a top club.

In addition I wouldn't take the UEFA rankings as absolute. There is still a high degree of subjectivity.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 11:58pm On Jul 11, 2017
This is good news. And by the way, does anybody know whether Moses Odubajo has recovered from injury?

We gonna need an all hands on deck approach against those stubborn Cameroun.

O pari

TheSuperNerd:
Exclusive – Chelsea Loanee Ola Aina Cleared By FIFA To Represent Nigeria Against Cameroon

Hull City on loan Chelsea defender Ola Aina has been given the all clear by world football governing body FIFA to represent Nigeria against the Indomitable Lions of Cameroon when both teams clash in the World Cup 2018 Qualifiers, Owngoalnigeria.com can exclusively reveal.

Aina who completed his switch from Chelsea to Hull City on loan applied to switch allegiance from England to Nigeria after representing England at various youth levels.

FIFA contacted England to transfer his nationality to Nigeria, but the English FA delayed the process and it cost Aina a spot in the Super Eagles team that lost 0-2 to South Africa in the AFCON 2019 Qualifiers in Uyo.

However England have submitted their own documents to FIFA, who were unable to rule on the application due to the rigours and demands of the recently concluded Confederations Cup played in Russia.

Owngoalnigeria.com gathered from a source at the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) that FIFA have given the green light for Aina to represent Nigeria, if he is called up by coach Gernot Rohr.

Rohr has long hinted that he wants the defender who can play conveniently across the back four to represent Nigeria as he believes he could be the solution to the full back woes troubling the team right now.

**Ade Emmanuel

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/07/11/exclusive-chelsea-loanee-ola-aina-cleared-by-fifa-to-represent-nigeria-against-cameroon/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 12:02am On Jul 12, 2017
Great post! I know Chinedu Udoji personally. Great player. Only the NFF (and the SE coaches) can explain why/how he was never invited to the Super Eagles camp. He's definitely superior to many of the players we have invited over the years.

O pari

BascoVanVeli:
NPFL's senior citizens (1)
Published on Tuesday, 11 July 2017 09:40 Hits: 209

By Clement Nwankpa Jr

CHINEDU UDOJI (KANO PILLARS)
While Liverpool legend Steven Gerard brought the sobriquet 'Captain Fantastic' to global acclaim, the usage in the domestic scene is traced more to Udoji. Enyimba won many battles with him wearing the captain's band. And there were many moments he surged forward to score late goals and secured vital points for the People's Elephant. One such moment was in the 2015/16 home fixture between Enyimba and Lobi stars. Lobi led 2-1 and with just four minutes separating them and a famous away victory, Udoji surged forward and nodded in the equaliser. He moved to Pillars this season where he has maintained a starting place. The hard-as-nail defender who could also play in holding midfield, was part of NPFL All Stars team to Spain last year. He recently marked his 10th year in the NPFL, but it just seems he has been around 'forever'.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 9:34am On Jul 12, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Official – Watford Loan Out Super Eagles Ace Uche Agbo To Standard Liege

Super Eagles midfielder Henry Agbo has joined Belgian side Standard Liege on a season long loan deal from English Premier League side Watford.

Agbo joined Watford last season, but was immediately loaned out to Spanish La-Liga side Granada where he has spent the last four years of his career since moving to Europe.

His move to Standard Lige according to a statement on the website of the club is subject to the 21 year old passing his medicals with the club, which is scheduled to take place today.

Coach of Standard Liege Oliveir Renard praised his acquisition and went further to outline some of the qualities that the club saw in him last season at Granada that made them swoop on him.

”Uche is a young midfielder with a high rate of passing and a strong abilities in recovery. He played a very pivotal role in the La-Liga last season for Granada. He is ready for a new experience and he will boost our options in midfield “. He said.

**Daniel Martins

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/07/11/official-watford-loan-out-super-eagles-ace-uche-agbo-to-standard-liege/

I just like this guy.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1202) (1203) (1204) (1205) (1206) (1207) (1208) ... (16831) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Sugarboyy(m), Subzerooo, bennie1980(m), slimthugchimee2(m), Henrique99 and 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 140
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.