Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,992 members, 7,873,191 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 09:37 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1785) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11989810 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1782) (1783) (1784) (1785) (1786) (1787) (1788) ... (16392) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 2:21pm On Oct 12, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

Doesn't seem so hefty though.
Naija journos sabi exaggerate.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 2:22pm On Oct 12, 2017
Mujtahida:

Goodjoe isn't it better Iwobi plays for us through the middle as an AM? He is too intelligent for us to play him from the wings. With Mikel and Onazi/Ndidi behind him that guy can make a beast out of your Nacho (although I still insist he's no CF as such)

It's better Iwobi plays as a AM, but it seems Rohr prefers Mikel in the Position.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 2:24pm On Oct 12, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I think you misunderstood me. Rohr opting to defend and play conservative against Cameroon (2nd leg) showed lack of tactical depth of Rohr.
I don't and I will not agree with you on this point regarding the second leg. Had we gone out attacking, Cameroun would have had us for dinner. Something more than tactics was at play(do you even realise that Rohr's contract is tied to qualifying us for the WC?). We needed to secure at least a point. That was what came first, not tactics after beating them 4-0(too much sugar na im dey cause purging). We won a point from that match and yet see the immense pressure Zambia exerted on us. That pressure accounted for much of our disjointed play against the Zambians coupled with the fact the Zambians were determined rather than more tactical. If we had lost that match with your offensive prescription who knows who Russia would have welcomed into her fold. We needed to qualify and we did. Going forward, we can be radical. QED.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 2:24pm On Oct 12, 2017
forgiveness:

It seems Rohr doesn't trust some of the players in the team but somehow he had to invite them. Why and how is what I don't know. grin

That was why he said he was going to bring in better players
Honestly i thought 75% of the present squad w make it but am thinking otherwise now.

In our last match we have Iwobi, Aina,Iheanacho, Musa,Agu,Awaziem, Etebo, Akpeyi, Ajiboye, Agu,Agbo,Nwakaeme on d bench,out of these i w pick Iwobi,Iheanacho, Aina, with first eleven meaning we are having 14 likely players to d WC,9 slots still for available for any players who can prove himself.Pls my opinion o

My 14 players

1.Mikel Obi capt

2Ogenyi Onazj asst capt

3.Victor Moses

4.Elderson Echiejele

5.Leon Balogun

6.Ekong Troost

7Winifred Ndidi

8.Alex Iwobi

9.Odion Ighalo

10.Shehu Abdullahi

11.Kelechi Iheanacho

12.Simeon Moses

13.Ike Ezenwa

14.Ola Aina.

The remaining 9 slots are for grab with these 19 players and any Nigerian born players home or abroad.

1.Ahmed Musa must show he is still d same player of 2014 WC and only way out he must change club by Jan or else is out of d team 70/30

2.Awaziem must show he is ready for national team, South Africa match still a reference point,though he is having a good run in his club,likely to make it 70/30

3.Mikel Agu not yet convincing but Rohr believe in him,had a very difficult match against Zambia 70/30

4.Oge Etebo a good midfielder but since South Africa match he is finding it difficult to have a look at by Rohr 70/30

5.John Ogu a very experience midfielder who always in d team but finding it difficult to break into XI. 50/50

6.Uche Agbo a versatile player who can play CB or DMF but not yet not yet tested but surprisedly always making d team 50/50

7.Daniel Akpeyi trusted in d absence of Ikeme but lost his position to Ezenwa due to injury still receiving d knock for his below performance against South Africa 80/20

8.Nwakaeme a surprised call prior to Cameroon and he has been with d team since,a good striker but still await his debut 40/60

9.Dele Ajiboye one of d best keeper in d NPFL league.A deputy to Ezenwa during WAFU Cup,kept against Guinea with calmness and played d ball on d ground with his defender,with lack of availability of world class keeper in d team,he can pull a surprise 30/70

10.Dele Alampasu a young and promising keeper, he has always be with d team but was put on standby against Zambia,normally with sentiment he suppose to be on d train to WC coz he is for d future depends on Rohr choice. 40/60

11.Brown Ideye a forgotten player he was part of d starter and had a good match against Zambia but still looking for another call up since Algeria match. 30/70

12.Kenneth Omeruo one of d most experience defender in d team,he started d campaign with d team but not yet forgiven for his holla against Zambia, hope he rediscover his form,still very much rated by Rohr 60/40

13.Anderson Esiti a powerful midfielder who came in as 2nd half substitute against Zambia in Lusaka but not getting call again since Algeria match. 30/70

14.Ebuhei a young and promising player who need to pledged his allegiance to Nigeria instead of Holland, still waiting for his debut game but still in Rohr plan. 50/50

15.Kayode Olarewaju a very good striker who won d best Austria player of d year before signing for man city and loaned to Girona.He had a comeo appearance against South Africa,hope he get another call 30/70

16.Vincent Enyeama a reputable keeper who has seen it all,highly rated by Nigerians,also highly rated by Rohr.No doubt we lack highly rated keeper and everybody see Enyeama as d solution.The major concern is Enyeama form,just coming back from injury and presently no club..Hope he fix this by January so that he can be available for selection. 50/50

17.Aron Samuel got a surprised call against Cameroon and replaced injured Iwobi in d squad but later dropped from d squad but base on form he shouldn't be near national team, likely Rohr see something good in him 30/70

18.Tammy Abraham a young and prolific striker,highly rated by England and also wanted by Nigeria.Hope things sort itself out in coming months 50/50

19.Nosa Igiebor I know a lot have forgotten him but he was part of early campaigner under Rohr but fizzled out and made a statement that he cannot be a training material. I don't think anybody even Rohr himself remember him. 10/90

Special tribute to CARL IKEME.He made it possible for our qualification,he keep us in d race,anytime i looked back,his performance against Zambia always make me happy, he dived,punched, saved us from defeat, hope everyone remember that goal line saved.This great guy made us to forget Enyeama coz he came into d team as a world class keeper,settling down without issue

When we taught we have seen a capable replacement and real time to see d best of him,sickness came,still on d sick bed looking strong and with strong belief that he w survive it IJN

Carl Ikeme still remain part of d team,d wish of every Nigerian is for u to be part of d team and so shall it be coz u are a warrior and all Nigerians hold u highly for this great qualifications.

Thanks CARL IKEME, guys here wish u quick recovery.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 2:25pm On Oct 12, 2017
Mujtahida:

Goodjoe isn't it better Iwobi plays for us through the middle as an AM? He is too intelligent for us to play him from the wings. With Mikel and Onazi/Ndidi behind him that guy can make a beast out of your Nacho (although I still insist he's no CF as such)
He's our source of creativity outwide. He can drift infield whenever Mikel has to drop deep to build play.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jotey(m): 2:28pm On Oct 12, 2017
England Fear They May Face Nigeria In World
Cup Group Of Death

England could face Africa powerhouse
Nigeria in next year's football festival, the
World Cup, according to permutations done
by The Sun.

The Three Lions are set to occupy the
12th position when Fifa announces the
latest ranking of national teams on
Monday, which will place them in Pot 2 for
the World Cup draw that will be held at the
State Kremlin Palace in Moscow on
December 1.

Hosts Russia, Germany, Brazil, Portugal,
Argentina, Belgium, Poland and France are
the top-ranked teams and will make up Pot

The nightmare scenario, according to the
British newspaper, is that England will be
drawn alongside Brazil, Iceland and
Nigeria.

England could not beat Nigeria when both
teams faced off at Nagai Stadium, Osaka
on June 12, 2002, despite the Africans
taking an experimental squad to the
tournament hosted by South Korea and
Japan.

The Super Eagles outplayed England in a
high profile international friendly at
Wembley on November 16, 1994 but lost
1-0.

**Ifeanyi Emmanuel

http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=24987

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 2:28pm On Oct 12, 2017
Kog45:
Honestly i thought 75% of the present squad w make it but am thinking otherwise now.

In our last match we have Iwobi, Aina,Iheanacho, Musa,Agu,Awaziem, Etebo, Akpeyi, Ajiboye, Agu,Agbo,Nwakaeme on d bench,out of these i w pick Iwobi,Iheanacho, Aina, with first eleven meaning we are having 14 likely players to d WC,9 slots still for available for any players who can prove himself.Pls my opinion o

My 14 players

1.Mikel Obi capt

2Ogenyi Onazj asst capt

3.Victor Moses

4.Elderson Echiejele

5.Leon Balogun

6.Ekong Troost

7Winifred Ndidi

8.Alex Iwobi

9.Odion Ighalo

10.Shehu Abdullahi

11.Kelechi Iheanacho

12.Simeon Moses

13.Ike Ezenwa

14.Ola Aina.

The remaining 9 slots are for grab with these 19 players and any Nigerian born players home or abroad.

1.Ahmed Musa must show he is still d same player of 2014 WC and only way out he must change club by Jan or else is out of d team 70/30

2.Awaziem must show he is ready for national team, South Africa match still a reference point,though he is having a good run in his club,likely to make it 70/30

3.Mikel Agu not yet convincing but Rohr believe in him,had a very difficult match against Zambia 70/30

4.Oge Etebo a good midfielder but since South Africa match he is finding it difficult to have a look at by Rohr 70/30

5.John Ogu a very experience midfielder who always in d team but finding it difficult to break into XI. 50/50

6.Uche Agbo a versatile player who can play CB or DMF but not yet not yet tested but surprisedly always making d team 50/50

7.Daniel Akpeyi trusted in d absence of Ikeme but lost his position to Ezenwa due to injury still receiving d knock for his below performance against South Africa 80/20

8.Nwakaeme a surprised call prior to Cameroon and he has been with d team since,a good striker but still await his debut 40/60

9.Dele Ajiboye one of d best keeper in d NPFL league.A deputy to Ezenwa during WAFU Cup,kept against Guinea with calmness and played d ball on d ground with his defender,with lack of availability of world class keeper in d team,he can pull a surprise 30/70

10.Dele Alampasu a young and promising keeper, he has always be with d team but was put on standby against Zambia,normally with sentiment he suppose to be on d train to WC coz he is for d future depends on Rohr choice. 40/60

11.Brown Ideye a forgotten player he was part of d starter and had a good match against Zambia but still looking for another call up since Algeria match. 30/70

12.Kenneth Omeruo one of d most experience defender in d team,he started d campaign with d team but not yet forgiven for his holla against Zambia, hope he rediscover his form,still very much rated by Rohr 60/40

13.Anderson Esiti a powerful midfielder who came in as 2nd half substitute against Zambia in Lusaka but not getting call again since Algeria match. 30/70

14.Ebuhei a young and promising player who need to pledged his allegiance to Nigeria instead of Holland, still waiting for his debut game but still in Rohr plan. 50/50

15.Kayode Olarewaju a very good striker who won d best Austria player of d year before signing for man city and loaned to Girona.He had a comeo appearance against South Africa,hope he get another call 30/70

16.Vincent Enyeama a reputable keeper who has seen it all,highly rated by Nigerians,also highly rated by Rohr.No doubt we lack highly rated keeper and everybody see Enyeama as d solution.The major concern is Enyeama form,just coming back from injury and presently no club..Hope he fix this by January so that he can be available for selection. 50/50

17.Aron Samuel got a surprised call against Cameroon and replaced injured Iwobi in d squad but later dropped from d squad but base on form he shouldn't be near national team, likely Rohr see something good in him 30/70

18.Tammy Abraham a young and prolific striker,highly rated by England and also wanted by Nigeria.Hope things sort itself out in coming months 50/50

19.Nosa Igiebor I know a lot have forgotten him but he was part of early campaigner under Rohr but fizzled out and made a statement that he cannot be a training material. I don't think anybody even Rohr himself remember him. 10/90

Special tribute to CARL IKEME.He made it possible for our qualification,he keep us in d race,anytime i looked back,his performance against Zambia always make me happy, he dived,punched, saved us from defeat, hope everyone remember that goal line saved.This great guy made us to forget Enyeama coz he came into d team as a world class keeper,settling down without issue

When we taught we have seen a capable replacement and real time to see d best of him,sickness came,still on d sick bed looking strong and with strong belief that he w survive it IJN

Carl Ikeme still remain part of d team,d wish of every Nigerian is for u to be part of d team and so shall it be coz u are a warrior and all Nigerians hold u highly for this great qualifications.

Forget Tammy. He's gone. I'd say Onyekuru and Dessers are 40/60. Joel Obi will be considered before Nosa who has gone to the MLS

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 2:29pm On Oct 12, 2017
nope i watched the game when i was a child. couldn't watch it live nepa took light but later watched the replays. plus youtube videos reaffirmed what i saw. again get my point you implied that rohr was tactically poor because we struggled against zambia and i'm saying we have always struggled against zambia. even the westerhof you used as example sweated to beat them comprede?

Mickael2:

from saying we dominated through Jj to saying we were even. You watched youtube highlights right?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jotey(m): 2:33pm On Oct 12, 2017
(See Photo) Super Eagles Star Ndidi Training
With Leicester Amid Injury Reports

Super Eagles star Wilfred Ndidi is in
contention to make his tenth appearance
in all competitions this season when
Leicester City host Hal Robson-Kanu's
West Brom in the Premier League on
Monday.

Speculation had been rife in the local and
foreign media that the central midfielder
was set for a spell on the sidelines after
picking up what can now be rightly referred
to as a phantom hamstring injury in
Nigeria's 1-0 win over Zambia last
weekend.

Ndidi was quick to dismiss those injury
reports and further confirmation was
received when he was photographed
training with the Foxes, along with
international teammate Kelechi Iheanacho,
on Thursday.

After seven matches in the English top-
flight, Ndidi leads the way in tackles, 28 in
total, ahead of Chelsea's France star
N'Golo Kanté, who has made one less than
the Nigerian.

Assuming the number 25 starts against the
Baggies, it would be the 15 straight game
he has been named in the starting line-up
spread over two seasons.

The 20-year-old has made 18 clearances,
10 interceptions, 10 headed clearances and
won 24 aerial battles this season, more
than any Nigerian in the English top-flight
including Victor Moses, who plays more
defensively for his club.

**Ifeanyi Emmanuel
**Photo Credit : lcfc.com

http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=24986

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 2:36pm On Oct 12, 2017
Kog45:

My 14 players

1.Mikel Obi capt

2Ogenyi Onazj asst capt

3.Victor Moses

4.Elderson Echiejele

5.Leon Balogun

6.Ekong Troost

7Winifred Ndidi

8.Alex Iwobi

9.Odion Ighalo

10.Shehu Abdullahi

11.Kelechi Iheanacho

12.Simeon Moses

13.Ike Ezenwa

14.Ola Aina.

Ikeme did it for us in that first game. He kept us in the game right before we scored and after we scored. He set the ball rolling ever so sweetly for us. I miss him so much- his unparalleled reflexes, his confidence, his uncanny sense of positioning, his dedication and commitment. Get well Bro. Truly our Russia 2018 is dedicated to you. You more than deserve it. Get well, get well.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 2:39pm On Oct 12, 2017
jotey:
England Fear They May Face Nigeria In World
Cup Group Of Death

England could face Africa powerhouse
Nigeria in next year's football festival, the
World Cup, according to permutations done
by The Sun.

The Three Lions are set to occupy the
12th position when Fifa announces the
latest ranking of national teams on
Monday, which will place them in Pot 2 for
the World Cup draw that will be held at the
State Kremlin Palace in Moscow on
December 1.

Hosts Russia, Germany, Brazil, Portugal,
Argentina, Belgium, Poland and France are
the top-ranked teams and will make up Pot

The nightmare scenario, according to the
British newspaper, is that England will be
drawn alongside Brazil, Iceland and
Nigeria.

England could not beat Nigeria when both
teams faced off at Nagai Stadium, Osaka
on June 12, 2002, despite the Africans
taking an experimental squad to the
tournament hosted by South Korea and
Japan.

The Super Eagles outplayed England in a
high profile international friendly at
Wembley on November 16, 1994 but lost
1-0.

**Ifeanyi Emmanuel

http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=24987
What is it with us and death na? Please we need group of life. We passed through the group of death, we've resurrected - let them allow us to enjoy life some bit. No to group of death!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jotey(m): 2:43pm On Oct 12, 2017
Fit Again Musa Yahaya
Joins FC Porto First Team
In Training Ahead Cup
Game

Highly rated Nigerian forward Musa Yahaya was
among the players of the B team of Portuguese
giants FC Porto called up to the training of the
first team ahead of this weekend Cup game
against Lusitano FC.

Yahaya has grown into a very influential
member of the B team, where he is
distinguishing himself as a right wing-back as
opposed to his well known position from the left
or right of attack.

He got injured after 35 minutes in a second
division game for the B team against CD
Nacional which they won 2-1, although he
played for 85 minutes in their next league game
, a 2-1 win against Cova Piedade , he suffered a
relapse and missed the 4-1 win against
Academico Viseu.

Now back to full fitness, he is heavily tipped to
play for the first team tomorrow when they take
on Lusitano in a Portuguese Cup game as Porto
are expected to rest some of their regulars.

**Daniel Martins

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/10/12/fit-again-musa-yahaya-joins-fc-porto-first-team-in-training-ahead-cup-game/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 2:47pm On Oct 12, 2017
Oasis007:

Lol!

Did you remember the South Africa Match?! That's where Rohr's tactical weakness was exposed.

Hence, I'm skeptical he won't be more exposed at the Tournament except with the Help of a tactically sound Assistant.

I'm ain't saying Rohr is a bad Manager, he's indeed a very good Manager, but my point is; he needs more than Salisu Yusuf to excel tactically in Russia.
Yes and we thank God for that SA defeat. It made our defeat of Cameroun possible cos had we defeated SA our pride would have gotten to olympian heights and would have ruined us. The defeat humbled him, made him reassess himself. Everybody needs help sometimes and Rohr should get one. I don't think Salisu is it too.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jotey(m): 2:51pm On Oct 12, 2017
Arsenal Coach Wenger –
I’m Sure Nigeria Will Have
A Great Tournament At
The World Cup

Alex Iwobi appears to have won Nigeria a fan in
his club manager at Arsenal as Arsene Wenger
is tipping Nigeria to do well at the World Cup in
Russia next year.

Wenger made this known in a video on
Facebook posted on the official page of Arsenal
while congratulating Nigeria on their
qualification for the World Cup, which was made
possible by a goal from Iwobi.

” Good morning congratulations to all our fans
in Nigeria – I know that you are very, very many
of you and we are very proud that you have
qualified for the World Cup. On top of that of
course, our player scored the goal for you and
that makes us even prouder”, he said.

” Well done and see at the World Cup and I’m
sure you will have a great, great trip there “, he
said in the 24 seconds video posted by Arsenal
ahead of their weekend game against Watford
at Vicarage Road.

Arsenal and Wenger has a long connection with
Nigerian players starting from when the
manager signed Kanu Nwankwo from Inter-Milan
in 1998. Kelechi Nwakali was the last Nigerian
player signed by the manager after his super
showing for Nigeria at the 2015 U17 World
Youth Championship.

**Ade Emmanuel

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/10/12/arsenal-coach-wenger-im-sure-nigeria-will-have-a-great-tournament-at-the-world-cup/

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 2:51pm On Oct 12, 2017
Mujtahida:

Yes and we thank God for that SA defeat. It made our defeat of Cameroun possible cos had we defeated SA our pride would have gotten to olympian heights and would have ruined us. The defeat humbled him, made him reassess himself. Everybody needs help sometimes and Rohr should get one. I don't think Salisu is it too.

That's exactly my Point.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 2:55pm On Oct 12, 2017
Kog45:

My 14 players

1.Mikel Obi capt

2Ogenyi Onazj asst capt

3.Victor Moses

4.Elderson Echiejele

5.Leon Balogun

6.Ekong Troost

7Winifred Ndidi

8.Alex Iwobi

9.Odion Ighalo

10.Shehu Abdullahi

11.Kelechi Iheanacho

12.Simeon Moses

13.Ike Ezenwa

14.Ola Aina.

it's like you guys on this thread either don't rate Cyril Dessers or you just don't like him.

How can you even put Tammy that is still tied to England on your list, but no Dessers that is happily unattached?

Is it because the Press is not shouting about him up and down? Is it because he's not in EPL and so, he doesn't seem as attractive as the English boy? I get that some of you are fully influenced by what you read, which is actually not a very good thing, but come on!

Somebody please, explain to me why all of you are pro-Tammy, but are all acting like Dessers does not exist?

I feel really bad for the guy the way you people simply refuse to see him

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 2:56pm On Oct 12, 2017
komekn:

Question mark on Tiago.
I would like to replace him with Dominic Iorfa, I'm going to watch Dom play against Burton Albion in a few weeks see Hope Akpan, and I'll give my opinion conclusivey then.

Yes I'll put my foot in it for once publicly.

One addition Seyi Ojo as left wing back? Leave out Echiejile his time is over

One other question Is Mikel Agu better than Tega Onomah?
Pls is Onomah ready to play for Nigeria.If he is ready no comparison.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jotey(m): 2:56pm On Oct 12, 2017
Eagles Coach Rohr
Targets World Cup Quarter
Final , Wants Not Too
Difficult Group

Coach of the Super Eagles of Nigeria Gernot
Rohr has set his team a target of at least
reaching the quarter final at the World Cup
following their qualification for the tournament
holding in Russia next year.

The coach however said he wish for his team to
be placed in a favourable group, because
getting out of their group is their first priority
before they can now match or surpass the feat
of the 1994 and 2014 Eagles.

Nigeria went as far as the second round at the
World Cup in 1994 and also in the 2014
tournament, and Rohr is hoping his wards should
be able to better the achievement by at least
getting to the quarter final next year in Russia.

” I wish to have a group not too difficult to
come out of the group, thereafter anything can
happen. I hope to surpass the record of the
USA 94 World Cup at least a quarter final spot
at next year World Cup in Russia “, he told the
print version of Sporting Life.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/10/12/eagles-coach-rohr-targets-world-cup-quarter-final-wants-not-too-difficult-group/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 2:59pm On Oct 12, 2017
edi287:

Forget Tammy. He's gone. I'd say Onyekuru and Dessers are 40/60. Joel Obi will be considered before Nosa who has gone to the MLS
thank you very much for this. Thank you so very much.

Nosa Igiebor will be nowhere close ti Rohr's team. He is not better than what we currently have in the midfield.

And Cyril stands a higher chance of playing for us than Tammy, REALISTICALLY.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 3:01pm On Oct 12, 2017
safarigirl:
it's like you guys on this thread either don't rate Cyril Dessers or you just don't like him.

How can you even put Tammy that is still tied to England on your list, but no Dessers that is happily unattached?

Is it because the Press is not shouting about him up and down? Is it because he's not in EPL and so, he doesn't seem as attractive as the English boy? I get that some of you are fully influenced by what you read, which is actually not a very good thing, but come on!

Somebody please, explain to me why all of you are pro-Tammy, but are all acting like Dessers does not exist?

I think people are mindful of the fact that he plays in the eredivisie and aren't sure if he can translate his form on a more competitive level. I like the looks of him sha.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 3:02pm On Oct 12, 2017
Oasis007:

That's exactly my Point.
I read Rohr yesterday saying he needs a good physiologist. Perhaps he's not aware of his need for a more astute tactical assistant.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 3:04pm On Oct 12, 2017
safarigirl:

am not pro Tammy and i w never be,if he play for us good and if he don't no issue but d guy is damn good.

On Dessers honestly i haven't see much of him, not of recent am hearing of his exploits especially from u.I w try and watch him and see what he got to offer.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:09pm On Oct 12, 2017
Mujtahida:

I don't and I will not agree with you on this point regarding the second leg. Had we gone out attacking, Cameroun would have had us for dinner. Something more than tactics was at play(do you even realise that Rohr's contract is tied to qualifying us for the WC?). We needed to secure at least a point. That was what came first, not tactics after beating them 4-0(too much sugar na im dey cause purging). We won a point from that match and yet see the immense pressure Zambia exerted on us. That pressure accounted for much of our disjointed play against the Zambians coupled with the fact the Zambians were determined rather than more tactical. If we had lost that match with your offensive prescription who knows who Russia would have welcomed into her fold. We needed to qualify and we did. Going forward, we can be radical. QED.

That is why I said tactically limited. We could have approached that game with an offensive set-up and still keep it tight and cautious at the back. Deciding to back the bus shows tactical limitation.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 3:10pm On Oct 12, 2017
Fringes:

Can I reach you via email, please? NL appears to have a lid on the amount of emails a person can send at a given time.
Okay. I will send my email to you.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:11pm On Oct 12, 2017
Mickael2:

Iheanacho's performance against SA and Ighalo's performance against Zambia which would you rather take?

Iheanacho's performance. The only thing we lacked was good service. With someone who could pass, we would have torn South Africans to shreds. Unlike Ighalo who was slow to spaces and poor in converting chances.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:13pm On Oct 12, 2017
Mujtahida:

Iheanacho is a forward. Aguero is a forward. Guardiola is a forward. Lots of modern day strikers are forwards.

I will not oppose Iwobi playing behind the striker but we need our most lethal set-up to get the best goal scoring rate of the team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 3:17pm On Oct 12, 2017
Mujtahida:

Guy rookie no be rookie. Did you see how Aina- a rookie at the international level- took to the field like a duck to water?

Quality is Quality no argument.

How old was Veron French CB when he started playing for arguably the best club side in the world.

It's not totally conclusive but these days once you have got to 18 you need to be showing real potential.

In this regard for me Omeruo has remained stagnant he has got to his peak and is going nowhere beyond where he is now. No wonder he was relegated to the U18 at Chelsea a full international.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Fringes(m): 3:18pm On Oct 12, 2017
Mujtahida:

Okay. I will send my email to you.

I'll be grateful. I just sent you a NL email.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 3:19pm On Oct 12, 2017
Mujtahida:

I read Rohr yesterday saying he needs a good physiologist. Perhaps he's not aware of his need for a more astute tactical assistant.

Seem you expect him to request for a Tactician from the Board?! He would never ask the Federation to get him a tactics-Specialist coz he also believes in himself as a good Tactician.

However, there is difference between what's good for Rohr and what's good for the Team, thus I expect the Board to do the needful in this regard - the way they did with the recent Recruitment of a Keepers' Trainer.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 3:23pm On Oct 12, 2017
Mujtahida:

Hahahaha hahahaha. Guy you sharp. Some badt guys dey ooo. It happened to a lady friend of mine. Guy been asking her out since her Uni days even when she was involved with someone else. In fact according to her, she doesn't like the guy at all. My brother, she married the guy this past September.
not bad then...should we play same role towards Tammy...after all he is a beautiful bride every potential groom will love court and have in his home....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 3:45pm On Oct 12, 2017
Kog45:
Truly not much difference but they cannot be compared coz i remember Bonfrere Jo was doing a lot for Clemens tactically and it was obvious but i don't know of Rohr may he has someone doing it for him too

Yes club football is totally different from national team football and cannot be compared tactically.Rohr already has his team and they are doing well,so to tamper with d team w not be easy especially on d verge of making it to d WC.

I see Rohr as a very conservative coach that need assistance in area of tactics coz i w not deceive u d team has been playing as a compact team which i understand.

I believe before WC things w take shape and we w see a better and balance team

I saw this too...
deep down I felt the assistant coach or one of the backroom staff initially told aina to warm up....
what have been winning games for rohr is...his man managing abilities, unbiased team selection and team spirit...the main backbone of rohr success thus far and not really tactics...

especially being unbiased and non-loopsided team selection

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 3:48pm On Oct 12, 2017
forgiveness:

First of all, we need to know the position Onazi played before he was injured and who should replace him in that position.

Onazi Ogenyi was the CMF and also played the box to box role while Ndidi played in the DMF role.

Who was the natural and perfect replacement available for that role? John Ogu and no one else because he was the only natural CMF on the bench.

However, John Ogu coming in as a direct replacement for Onazi would have been a very bad choice.

1. He is slow and we already have another slow player in the mold of Mikel Obi on the field.

2. He is only offensive and his defensive ability is poor compared to Onazi.

3. His tackling about is not as good as Onazi hence the need to bring some one who can defend, tackle and do the dirty job in the midfield.

In regards to the obvious reasons stated above, it would have been unwise to bring in John Ogu.

Bringing in Aina for Shehu Abdullahi to move to the DMF position is a big gamble and is equally out of the equation.

That was why bringing in Agu who is a natural DMF was the best option based on the options on the bench.

What the did was to bring in Mikel Agu to Wilfred Ndidi' position and move Ndidi to the CMF position. It was very easy to decide like that based on the situation on ground.

That's was why I wasn't not worried about Mikel Agu when he came in to replace Onazi. I even demonstrated that when many here panicked and kicked against him by saying 'make una no worry....'.

Oga forgiveness for the first time... 1million likes for you

(1) (2) (3) ... (1782) (1783) (1784) (1785) (1786) (1787) (1788) ... (16392) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: soetanoreoluwa(m), do4luv14(m), TheGoodJoe(m) and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 172
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.