Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,123 members, 7,887,246 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 04:12 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (3815) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12062597 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3812) (3813) (3814) (3815) (3816) (3817) (3818) ... (16430) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 6:00pm On May 31, 2018
You dey mind them?!

I love this NL family because we all love the game but, like I often say, not all opinions on NL are created equal. So you gotta take most of what you read on here with a big dose of salt. All things being equal, I expect Joel Obi to start in Russia ... unless Rohr decides to do seniority and starts Onazi because he's the vice captain. Apples to apples, Joel Obi offers more than Onazi in that position.

O pari

KevinDein:
While some here don't think Joel Obi is even good enough to make the 23-man list, this foreign paper actually touts him as the star player from Nigeria to watch out for during the World Cup.

https://www.footballwhispers.com/blog/players-minnows-look

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mazimee(m): 6:00pm On May 31, 2018
Icon79:
Are you serious? So these people even came all the way to PH to watch this game? Na wao. By the time we're done, they would know our team even better than we do sef. But it takes more than scouting to win matches sha.

O pari

Dey there naa, This people pay so much Attention to the smallest detail you would over look on a normal day . They are that serious with serious issue like this.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mazimee(m): 6:05pm On May 31, 2018
somehow:
Was he ran over by the tough and pacy congolese?

England might be overhyped but you can't downplay what they are Capable of doing to a tired Ederson.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 6:05pm On May 31, 2018
Hmmm. Memories .... memories. This pic reminds me of those good old days in soccer camp. There was nothing I used to look forward to more than spending time in the U15 and/or U-17 camps cool

Time clock anyone

O pari

tbaba1234:
Lateef Omidiji with the Nigeria under 15
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Petrobros: 6:05pm On May 31, 2018
Icon4s:

I didn't see you there o
meaning you changed moniker. So which of those monikers were you? Haha
Lol!!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 6:06pm On May 31, 2018
Let's hope that we have our own scouts monitoring even their training sessions sef grin

O pari

mazimee:

Dey there naa, This people pay so Attention smallest detail you would over look on a normal. They are that serious with serious issue like this.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 6:08pm On May 31, 2018
Icon79:
You dey mind them?!

I love this NL family because we all love the game but, like I often say, not all opinions on NL are created equal. So you gotta take most of what you read on here with a big dose of salt. All things being equal, I expect Joel Obi to start in Russia ... unless Rohr decides to do seniority and starts Onazi because he's the vice captain. Apples to apples, Joel Obi offers more than Onazi in that position.

O pari

There is no good reason why Onazi should be starting games ahead of Ogu or Joel with his port belly and playing like old papa.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 6:08pm On May 31, 2018
Truidstar:
-------------------------------Butland-----------------------

----Walker---------Stones-------McGuire-------Rose----

------------------------Dier-------Loftus-cheek------------

-------------------------------Dele-----------------------------

-------Sterling------------------------Rashford/Delph------

----------------------------Kane-----------------------------------------

England's likely starting 11.

If stones will be part of their starters at the world cup then southgate is sick because stone is now a bench warmer at city,and rose did not play more than 10 games a season,nothing special about england but sterling kane dele alli are good.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 6:09pm On May 31, 2018
maidaboi:
dude he has been ignoring you since and i think today its was kog45 that make him to talk about it today and he has clear the air and we know your are twisting his words
WHY?

Why was he dragging my moniker into mood if he has ignored me?

I am only reminding of his sin and his sins is finding him out.

However, did I twist his words in the above comment?

It was glaring he once castigated a Nigerian coach for Nepotism. Fact

Why is he against the same the opinion he once held?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:10pm On May 31, 2018
tbaba1234:
Lateef Omidiji with the Nigeria under 15

Good start. We must not let this one slip off our hands.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by fabyom: 6:10pm On May 31, 2018
An over-hyped Average team. If these guys beat us, I will quit this thread for life!
Truidstar:
-------------------------------Butland-----------------------

----Walker---------Stones-------McGuire-------Rose----

------------------------Dier-------Loftus-cheek------------

-------------------------------Dele-----------------------------

-------Sterling------------------------Rashford/Delph------

----------------------------Kane-----------------------------------------

England's likely starting 11.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 6:12pm On May 31, 2018
Yup. I totally agree. During and prior to 2014 world cup Onazi used to be one of our best players but since then his quality has drastically depreciated. And he always gets beaten to pace these days, which often makes him hammer one of those rough tackles. Let's hope he doesn't see red in Russia.

O pari

OMANBALA1:

There is no good reason why Onazi should be starting games ahead of Ogu or Joel with his port belly and playing like old papa.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 6:14pm On May 31, 2018
OMANBALA1:
"What I said was that "the general opinion of people" then was that Onigbinde took Opabunmi and Adepoju (not even Ogbeche) to Korea/ Japan for tribal reasons.

I have said it here before that I was a sport writer in the late 90s but though I did less of it as at 2002. Onigbinde was interviewed by the Nigerian press on why he took both players to the WC. He said (quote me any where) that Adepoju(who he called his joker) and Opabunmi were his boys. The general public definitely will take that as tribal sentiment. And that was exactly how they saw it even in the Press Circles.

This very obvious incidence was what I pointed out and he tagged me as a tribalist!

In another post I highlighted the fact that he has remained till date the last coach from that part of country. This statement which is obvious truth and the one highlighted above are what he has been pointing to for the past 3 or 4 years. "

Icons4, I remember that exchanges vividly and Onigbinde's response about taking an almost retired Adepoju who has absolutely nothing to offer, an Opabumi which is like taking Chukwueze not even Nwakali because Opabumi was never a special talent. Yes, he openly admitted he took his "boys" to the world cup for personal reasons and it was shocking to hear such nonsense from not just a national team coach but from a respected football technician. After that interview people tagged him a tribalist because those his "boys" were Yoruba's

Special talent is what?

I am beginning to ask myself what is the definition of special talent here.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by fabyom: 6:14pm On May 31, 2018
Looking at the training pictures baba posted. The players that will play against England are those guys with black on green Jersey
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 6:17pm On May 31, 2018
Well, prepare to quit the thread because they might beat us. Do you know the last time England lost at wembley stadium? Are you aware that Germany, Brazil and Spain couldn't even beat them at wembley?

I am pretty sure that we can take care of them if we meet in Russia but at anything can happen at wembley and I won't be surprised if we lose the game though the boys would try not to lose to England. It's a bragging rights thing grin

O pari

fabyom:
An over-hyped Average team. If these guys beat us, I will quit this thread for life!

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 6:18pm On May 31, 2018
Icon4s:

Thanks bro.

My people, see the simple honest comment I made that has made forgiveness tag me a tribalist all these years!

cc: Kog45

Fake prove. Hahahaha!

Look up for the real one.

Besides, your gbegiri and ewedu stew rubbing comments are still testifying to your face. Sorry.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Petrobros: 6:20pm On May 31, 2018
forgiveness:

Why was dragging my moniker into mood if he has ignored me?

I am only reminding of his sin and his sins is finding him out.

However, did I twist his words in the above comment?

It was glaring he once castigated a Nigerian coach for Nepotism. Fact

Why is he against the same the opinion he once held?

Let's even say he did that. "He once...... " you said. But yours is every hour, everyday.

We have all accused Siasia and Keshi of nepotism at one time or the order. But why are you taking icon4s own personal?Some other people too have come here to corroborate Onigbinde's tribal selection at that 2002 WC.

Abeg are you a woman please let us know so will start addressing you as a "she".

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 6:20pm On May 31, 2018
krattoss:
U heard it from me first cool

What a way to bow out cool

He is smartess coach in the world. Wow! He will be hot cake.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 6:21pm On May 31, 2018
Petrobros:

Let's even say he did that. "He once...... " you said. But yours is every hour, everyday.

We have all accused Siasia and Keshi of nepotism at one time or the order. But why are you taking icon4s own personal?Some other people too have come here to corroborate Onigbinde's tribal selection at that 2002 WC.

Abeg are you a woman please let us know so will start addressing you as a "she".

Oga! Park well. cool
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jieta: 6:22pm On May 31, 2018
fabyom:
boss take am easy.. you are playing England, they don't joke with friendly matches. you can check their records.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:24pm On May 31, 2018
Petrobros:

Bros please I am done with this discussion already.
I don't wish to be dragged into it again.

At least I have made myself clear.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 6:26pm On May 31, 2018
Icon79:
Well, prepare to quit the thread because they might beat us. Do you know the last time England lost at wembley stadium? Are you aware that Germany, Brazil and Spain couldn't even beat them at wembley?

I am pretty sure that we can take care of them if we meet in Russia but at anything can happen at wembley and I won't be surprised if we lose the game though the boys would try not to lose to England. It's a bragging rights thing grin

O pari

he didn't say they would lose to us, he just said, they will not beat us.

Two different things
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 6:27pm On May 31, 2018
komekn:

Over the years I have watched a lot of players and over time the cream rises to the top.

Football has progressed and we have hundreds of teenagers making waves at the highest level of football. There is no sentiment performance gets you recognition not past youthful glories.

Football is not mathematics according to you, I will not argue with that. Nonetheless, the performance of football is clearly measurable and quantifiable so it's somewhat mathematical in assessment.

Football performance is not the singular preserve of one individual to deduce outstanding performance. There has always been parameters and measurements to determine quality as well as upward future progress.

WHAT THEREFORE MAKES Nwakali a so-called special talent. He has played in the Eredivisie for a season without recognition. He has effectively been demoted to the second tier of Dutch football and even at this lowly level he is not an outstanding player.

He is not among to top 100 teenage footballers despite that misleading outdated local Spanish media outlet somebody used to misrepresent his quality here.

The only thing he has that is special is SPECAIL CONSIDERATION given to him by the powers that be to come into the SE set up. He was allowed to by pass fair-play, required quality and outstanding ability.
You have said the same thing about Osimhen again nothing special beyond once again special favoured consideration.

To hinge your position solely on Rohr said is really evasion of the facts and really unbecoming of you. O expect you to convince us with a rational approach.

My view let there be an open level playing field free from favouritism based on clear defined objective performance parameters. Not subjective personal judgement.

I do not take my hat off to the so called coaching crew. Primarily I know a few of them and they are not exactly football purists. They have other considerations in mind just like all football scouting teams across worldwide football.

Although, from top to finish you were spot on but the bolded simply buttressed the point.

And any reasonable objective and honest minded fellow will concur with you.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 6:28pm On May 31, 2018
Petrobros:

petrobros abeg don't insult women, there are at least four women who are regulars on this thread to some extent and none of them nags half as much as that tantrum throwing fellow.

He is some other thing, if he is not a man, he is certainly not female.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 6:30pm On May 31, 2018
tbaba1234:
Buhari's meeting with the Super eagles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIck_wjCmCg

4 up for 2 spots.

Aina vs echiejile
Obi vs agu according to the report here.

The report also said Simon has been dropped but i thought he is in london already?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 6:32pm On May 31, 2018
eterisan:
Let's view this in retrospect. Post Oliseh guys like, idowu, Aina, ogu, Joel, Iheanacho, iwobi, awaziem, ndidi ebuehi were either not in the team or just joined. Phucking hell [sorry for my language] ighalo just came back against Cameroon.

What else do we expect from Rohr. Every player that was clamoured for here was invited, including Kayode. So we're is all this criticism coming from.

Maybe we don't know but this team was built during the qualifiers and amazingly we qualified for the world cup. Where were you when we missed WC and nations cup back to back. So forgiveness take a chill pill and enjoy the moment. Cos if you won't the rest of us will.... Have a good day

I should address lies na. Abi make I fold hand dey look?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:33pm On May 31, 2018
mazimee:
Croatia Scout Impressed With Simeon Nwankwo's Abilities: He Is Fast And Agile
Published: May 31, 2018

Croatia national team scout Ognjen Vukojević monitored the international friendly between Nigeria and Democratic Republic of Congo on Monday and has picked one Super Eagles player that impressed him.
The former Dynamo Kyiv midfielder and teammate of Olarenwaju Kayode at Austria Vienna has praised the qualities of Simeon Tochukwu Nwankwo on his debut for the Super Eagles.

''A real African player. Fast, agile, direct, very interesting,'' said Vukojević to
Sportske Novosti.
Croatia's talent spotter is expected to be one of the spectators at the Wembley Stadium on Saturday for the friendly between England and Nigeria.

''I am particularly interested in this game in London, they will be much more clear here, I want to see how Nigeria, who have a lot of players playing in the Premier League, performs against the English team.

''Will they possibly dominate or even the English will be dominant? This game will give a lot more answers than the match with Congo,'' added Vukojević.
Nigeria and Croatia will square off in their World Cup opener at Kaliningrad Stadium, Kaliningrad on June 16.

Igho Kingsley

http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=27965

Choi! so they came to spy us in our very own backyard?

No wahala. Them go still chop the cane.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 6:33pm On May 31, 2018
safarigirl:
petrobros abeg don't insult women, there are at least four women who are regulars on this thread to some extent and none of them nags half as much as that tantrum throwing fellow.

He is some other thing, if he is not a man, he is certainly not female.

A transgender ??
grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:34pm On May 31, 2018
somehow:

4 up for 2 spots.

Aina vs echiejile
Obi vs agu according to the report here.

The report also said Simon has been dropped but i thought he is in london already?

Simon is in London... He should have his scan today.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 6:34pm On May 31, 2018
eterisan:
Please I beg you in the name of whatever God you serve, mention one special talent young midfielder who is a Nigerian [I don't mean Nigerian origin] and deserves to be called up at this moment to just train with the national team.

Just one. I want to be educated.

What a question?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 6:35pm On May 31, 2018
forgiveness:

Special talent is what?

I am beginning to ask myself what is the definition of special talent here.

Take some days off internet. You never know it might help.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 6:36pm On May 31, 2018
fabyom:
Looking at the training pictures baba posted. The players that will play against England are those guys with black on green Jersey

How do you know this ?

(1) (2) (3) ... (3812) (3813) (3814) (3815) (3816) (3817) (3818) ... (16430) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.