Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,784 members, 7,875,940 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 04:03 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (637) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12002883 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (634) (635) (636) (637) (638) (639) (640) ... (16398) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 6:57pm On Mar 14, 2017
tbaba1234:

A bit late for replacements, hopefully it is not serious or feigned.

I don't think so. Any of the three but Onyekuru can still make it because Aluko resides in the UK (LONDON). Sammy Kalu was part of the Gent team that traveled to England just recently, hence still has a valid travelling permit.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 6:59pm On Mar 14, 2017
Icon4s:

grin grin

Nwanna, udo diri gi.

Has there been an official statement from the teams medics about the injury?

None for now, but we all know what to expect.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:08pm On Mar 14, 2017
komekn:

I would like to add to your comments that all African origin players largely face differing challenges that is not always about ability.

Did you watch Tottenham V Millwall, watched a young forward player in the name of Onyedinma clearly should be playing at a much higher level. Any comments about him

Sorry. I missed the match but I have read about good things about him.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 8:23pm On Mar 14, 2017
Joebie:
#SuperEagles Radar: GOALS HARVEST. Omeruo Score Own Goal. Umar, Kayode, Akpala, Kalu, Solomon Score. Simon, Onazi Assist. Ebuehi and Ekong Cautioned. Balogun Return.

KicKed by Bryan Efe

SPOTKIK TEAM OF THE WEEK (MAR ’17 WEEK 2)

Late Super Eagles call up Olarenwaju Kayode (Our Player of the Week) retain his place in our team of the week after scoring for the second consecutive round. Gent’s trio of Samuel Kalu, Moses Simon and Troost-Ekong (displaces Oboabona) made our team of the week for the prominent role they played in the trashing of Mechelen. Kalu thereby retain his place from last week. Premier League players a missing due to FA Cup fixtures. Hence, Fegor Ogude takes Ndidi’s place for his all match action against Russian powerhouse Zenit. Teammate Brian Idowu retain his place as the Nigeria’s best left-back at the moment. Ebuehi also keep his place in left-back. Otigba displaces Omeruo, who scored an own goal during the weekend. Retired Victor Enyeama remains our best option between the sticks.

We adopt Gernot Rohr’s favorite formation, the 4-2-3-1, in our pick.

AUSTRIA (ROUND 25)

Austria Vienna 3-0 AC Wolfsberger
Austria Vienna has put six unanswered goals past their opponents in the last two rounds. Super Eagles new invitee, Olarenwaju Kayode, who only got his first invitation to Nigeria’s senior national team as a replacement for injured teen, Victor Osihmen, scored his second consecutive goal in two league games to put a nail in the coffins of visitiors Wolfsberger. The Nigerian only representative in the Austrian top tier has now scored nine goals so far in the 2016/17 season.

BELGIUM (ROUND 30)

Eupen 1-3 Waregem
Kingsley Madu remained in his familiar dugout position for Waregem as they conquered the Nigerian trio of Henry Onyekuru, Jamabo George, and Anthony Bassey at Kehrwegstadion (Eupen). However, instead of Madu, it was relatively unknown 19 year-old Aliko Bala who suited again for the visitors in the dot of 90 minutes. In the side of Eupen, Onyekuru started but was uncharacteristically unimpressive in front of the home fans and was pulled off in the 77th minute. Jamabo started and lasted the distance, whereas, Bassey was not suited up by Eupen.

Gent 3-0 K.V. Mechelen
K.A.A Gent put their loss to fellow Jupiler league team, Genk at the Europa Cup by recording a resounding victory over visiting Mechelen. Nigerians locked horns again in this encounter. While Ighodaro Osaguona‘s cameo for the visitors proved futile, Gent’s parade of all five Nigerians in their roaster paid off immensely. All their Nigerian imports started and completed the match, except Rabiu Ibrahim who joined the fray in the 76th minute. Samuel Kalu on his part, has instantly become Gent’s rave of the moment as he scored for the second consecutive time for Eupen. This time it was fellow Nigerian international, Moses Simon who provided a nice assist. Kalu has now scored three goals for Gent since joining them from Trencin of Slovakia. However, it was Japanese, Yuya Kubo, who stole the headline taking the ball from the center of the field all the way as he tricked his way through a crowed of five defenders in a Messi-like fashion to slot away Gent’s second. Anderson Esiti and William Troost-Ekong were the other Nigerians who were in action mode throughout the encounter. Troost-Ekong was cautioned in the 31’st minute.

http://spotkik.com/2017/03/14/supereagles-radar-goals-harvest-omeruo-score-own-goal-umar-kayode-akpala-kalu-solomon-score-simon-onazi-assist-ebuehi-and-ekong-cautioned-balogun-return/

BRYAN EFE Is that you?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 8:28pm On Mar 14, 2017
Why no body is interested in our vice captain AHMED MUSA? undecided
Dude will soon discover crude oil while going down grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Certitude(m): 8:33pm On Mar 14, 2017
krattoss:
let him leave leicester. That may not be the right place for him.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 8:33pm On Mar 14, 2017
terzurum5:
Govt directs NFF to back Hayatou for CAF post

Abuja: Nigeria’s government has ordered the head of the country’s football association to back current CAF president Issa Hayatou of Cameroon in his re-election bid, a senior official said on Monday.

The decree from on high came despite Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) president Amaju Pinnick having publicly come out in support of Hayatou’s main challenger, Ahmad Ahmad.

Pinnick’s backing for Madagascar’s Ahmad has put him at loggerheads with the NFF, the country’s sports minister Solomon Dalung, and Nigerian members of CAF’s executive committee.

A senior figure in Nigeria’s presidency confirmed that a meeting chaired by Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo ordered Pinnick to vote for Hayatou because of Nigerian ties with Cameroon.

Speaking on condition of anonymity, the source confirmed that Dalung contacted the presidency about Thursday’s vote in Addis Ababa and asked what the country’s position should be.

“There is an existing joint relationship between Nigeria and Cameroon and most recently both countries collaborated in the fight against the Boko Haram insurgency,” he added.

Agence France-Presse

gulftoday.ae/portal/ac80fcb7-de5f-483e-8339-7b6721500e10.aspx
why can't our government mind it's business...?
anything that will oust the Cameroonian who has ruled caf for over 20 years should be welcomed..
I am tired of seeing selfish rulers

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:41pm On Mar 14, 2017
krattoss:

We have many options on the wings, if Musa loses form, there are many to take over.. I guess that is why people are not so worried.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:56pm On Mar 14, 2017
ChrisKels:

None for now, but we all know what to expect.
No cause for alarm. we have wings options aplenty.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:09pm On Mar 14, 2017
Certitude:

let him leave leicester. That may not be the right place for him.
If he cannot hold his own in a club like Leicester City then he is not good enough. Simple.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 9:37pm On Mar 14, 2017
Icon4s:

If he cannot hold his own in a club like Leicester City then he is not good enough. Simple.

Musa has always been Musa. He is a rope of sand. His performance against Argentina remains the highlight of his career with Eagles till date, to me, Musa flattered to deceive. I never rated him because rating him would be glorifying mediocrity. Simon Moses ain't no less different, he keeps trying same thing over and again, expecting a different result. Neither of the two is inventive. These guys to me aint worth a starting berth with the Eagles, they can be there to add depth but definitely not as first teamers unless they up their ante.

Have you seen Onyekuru or Kalu play before? These guys plus injury-free Bazee(on his day) and Ademola are what we call cerebral wingers. I would pick Imoh Ezekiel ahead of the Musas of this world.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:41pm On Mar 14, 2017
Aluko with a goal.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 9:51pm On Mar 14, 2017
Etebo Travels To Madrid To Apply For UK Visa, Would Have Missed Nigeria Friendlies

CD Feirense attacking midfielder Oghenekaro Etebo has shown that his commitment to the Super Eagles is not in doubt after traveling all the way to Madrid to submit his application for a United Kingdom visa.

Allnigeriasoccer.com can exclusively report that the Dream Team VI poster boy would have missed both international friendlies against Senegal and Burkina Faso in London, with the British Embassy in Lisbon informing him that the earliest time he can be issued the traveling document is March 30.

In order to be available for the friendlies, he had to travel to Spain to apply for a visa last week and this should take five working days before he gets an endorsement on his Nigerian passport.

Etebo is expecting a positive response from the British embassy this week, and the same goes for Chippa United netminder Daniel Akpeyi who applied for a visa in South Africa.

Gent pair Moses Simon and William Troost-Ekong don’t need to apply for new visas before they are allowed entry into London as they have valid traveling documents.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel

www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=22364

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:53pm On Mar 14, 2017
Watching Chelsea play Tottenham in Youth cup essentially U18, From what I can see there's near 8 players from both sides who are of Nigerian origin.

I remember someone talking about catching them young. Info on the Nigerian origin striker see link below.

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2675677-why-chelseas-rising-star-ike-ugbo-deserves-more-plaudits-for-his-achievements.amp.html

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 9:56pm On Mar 14, 2017
Derik

I tink he's having a great season

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 10:04pm On Mar 14, 2017
Chelsea Wonderkid Abraham Is A Summer Target For Galatasaray

Super Lig powerhouse Galatasaray have enquired about the availability of Chelsea wonderkid Tammy Abraham ahead of the opening of the summer transfer window, according to matching press reports in England and Turkey.

Coach of the Lions, Igor Tudor, wants to reduce the average age of his squad and has contacted former Juventus teammate Antonio Conte regarding a loan move.

Abraham has benefited from a loan move at Bristol City this term, scoring 21 goals from 39 appearances in all competitions.

The 19-year-old was earlier earmarked for the first team squad of the Blues next season after taking the Championship by storm.

An England U21 international, Tammy Abraham has played two competitive games for Chelsea.

Igho Kingsley

www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=22366

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 10:07pm On Mar 14, 2017
Any body following Leicester vs Sevilla?

How is Wilfred Indidi playing
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nelszx: 10:19pm On Mar 14, 2017
terzurum5:

Just type Ndidi on twitter search, he has been Kante-ing Sevilla. Him and Drinkwater have locked every possible space in the midfield. They have one foot in the QF
He has been a monster since the blast

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 10:19pm On Mar 14, 2017
Leicester vs Sevilla 2-0 (75 minutes played so far)

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 10:20pm On Mar 14, 2017
terzurum5:

He's been handful. What a class act baller we have in him. Ndidi is fast turning world class(if he ain't Dat alrdy).

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 10:25pm On Mar 14, 2017
terzurum5:

He's being good

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 10:34pm On Mar 14, 2017
Ndidi wins a lot of headers... Very impressive again...

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tglobal(m): 10:38pm On Mar 14, 2017
For those who like to compare quality of leagues based on what position victors in a continental match are in their local leagues, I hope the performance of Leicester in the champions league (3 points above the drop zone in its local league) exposes the folly in that line of thinking

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:40pm On Mar 14, 2017
ChrisKels:

Musa has always been Musa. He is a rope of sand. His performance against Argentina remains the highlight of his career with Eagles till date, to me, Musa flattered to deceive. I never rated him because rating him would be glorifying mediocrity. Simon Moses ain't no less different, he keeps trying same thing over and again, expecting a different result. Neither of the two is inventive. These guys to me aint worth a starting berth with the Eagles, they can be there to add depth but definitely not as first teamers unless they up their ante.

Have you seen Onyekuru or Kalu play before? These guys plus injury-free Bazee(on his day) and Ademola are what we call cerebral wingers. I would pick Imoh Ezekiel ahead of the Musas of this world.

I share ur feelings about Musa and Simon.
However, I think Miss may have more to offer if we play him as a supporting striker.

As for Onyekuru and Kalu, let's see them play first before I rate them.

Imoh IMO is not different from Simon. They play almost alike.

Anyways, thank God we have Iwobi and Moses as our first choice wingers.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 10:48pm On Mar 14, 2017
ChrisKels:

I watched Simon Moses' last match and he was unplayable. I think, he will still be of value to the super eagles..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 10:50pm On Mar 14, 2017
Just happy for Leicester city and ndidi tonight cool

Dude is a baller

Make dem no go miss those kind chances wey dem miss today for next round oo

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 10:58pm On Mar 14, 2017
Like father like son..

Weldone Kasper scheimichel... cool cool

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:05pm On Mar 14, 2017
tbaba1234:

I watched Simon Moses' last match and he was unplayable. I think, he will still be of value to the super eagles..

He has always been like that.

His style of wings play is too stereotyped to me. He needs to add more creativity to it.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 11:05pm On Mar 14, 2017
tglobal:
For those who like to compare quality of leagues based on what position victors in a continental match are in their local leagues, I hope the performance of Leicester in the champions league (3 points above the drop zone in its local league) exposes the folly in that line of thinking

It happens in football,,, but when it happens time without number, the quality of d league is questioned,,,
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 11:10pm On Mar 14, 2017
Icon4s:

He has always been like that.

His style of wings play is too stereotyped to me. He needs to add more creativity to it.

If he can get some consistency, he would be important for Nigeria... The talent is there... He takes all the set-pieces for his club too...Freekicks, corners etc..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 11:18pm On Mar 14, 2017
I will like to see a midfield of Onazi, Ndidi and Etebo for the friendlies.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:21pm On Mar 14, 2017
tbaba1234:

If he can get some consistency, he would be important for Nigeria... The talent is there... He takes all the set-pieces for his club too...Freekicks, corners etc..

Sure no doubt.

I like the boy.

He works very hard.

(1) (2) (3) ... (634) (635) (636) (637) (638) (639) (640) ... (16398) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 12 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.