Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,313 members, 7,887,957 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 04:52 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (636) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12066536 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (633) (634) (635) (636) (637) (638) (639) ... (16431) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 8:25am On Mar 14, 2017
Victor Moses Impresses, Limps Off Injured As Chelsea Set Club Record Vs Man Utd
Published: March 13, 2017

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4997740_moses_jpeged9c7331540af51882454bf97f7347df

England’s most outstanding team Chelsea will face Tottenham Hotspur in the semifinal of the Emirates FA Cup next month after seeing off Manchester United at Stamford Bridge on Monday night.

Super Eagles winger Victor Moses made his third consecutive start in the competition this term, but did not go the distance as he was replaced in the 89th minute after picking up a knock.

He was outstanding tonight, defensively and offensively, and won the individual contest against Manchester United star Ashley Young.

France international N’Golo Kante gave Chelsea the lead with his low shot finding the bottom corner in the 51st minute, and Rashford could have leveled it up but his shot was deflected behind by Courtois.

The Red Devils played a man short from the 35th minute after Ander Herrera was sent off for a second bookable offense.

Chelsea set a new club record of thirteen consecutive home victories following the victory against Jose Mourinho’sside.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel

www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=22358
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 10:09am On Mar 14, 2017
Icon4s:

Ow! OK. I thought u were suggesting other names that Rohr and his crew should look into.

I thought u wanted to type Aluko and mistakenly typed Akuko and thought Mike and Ejeagha are another set of upcoming players.

No blame me. Na bc of the way names of new players dey fly in here everyday.

And to ur conclusion about my ethnicity: bia nwokem abum nwa afo igbo to the core.

Lol oke osisi, ekenekwa m gi. What have u to say about the latest injury? Don't u think we should call up either Aluko and Onyekuru or Aluko and Kalu?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:18am On Mar 14, 2017
ChrisKels:

Lol oke osisi, ekenekwa m gi. What have u to say about the latest injury? Don't u think we should call up either Aluko and Onyekuru or Aluko and Kalu?

grin grin

Nwanna, udo diri gi.

Has there been an official statement from the teams medics about the injury?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 11:52am On Mar 14, 2017
Gent Next Big Thing Samuel Kalu Named In Team Of The Week

Exciting winger Samuel Kalu has been named in the Team of the Week following his imperious performance in Gent’s 3-0 rout of Mechelen in the final round of the regular season.

The official betting partner of the Belgian Pro League, Unibet, has announced the eleven most outstanding players in each position, with the former AS Trencin wonderkid the only player of Nigerian descent recognized.

Making his eighth appearance in the league, Kalu helped Gent qualify for the Play-Off 1 by netting just after the restart, and his inclusion is particularly not surprising as he has been impressive since his arrival in Belgium.

This season, Kalu has recorded 35 appearances in all competitions cumulatively for AS Trencin and Gent, scoring 5 goals and providing nine assists.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel

www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=22360
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Lordabas: 12:09pm On Mar 14, 2017
I suspect Ahmed Musa will be out of the super eagles team soon if he doesn't step up his game. Too many young talented wingers waiting in the sidelines because of one braindead okada man
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 12:18pm On Mar 14, 2017
Troost-Ekong Glad To Play For Gent Again, Team Yet To Concede With Defender In Line-Up

Super Eagles central defender William Troost-Ekong has spoken about his happiness after he returned to Gent’s starting eleven in the 3-0 win over KV Mechelen, a result that saw the De Buffalo’s qualify for the play-off 1.

Prior to the encounter at theGhelamco Arena on Sunday, Troost-Ekong had not featured for Gent since January 25 when he lasted 90 minutes on the pitch versus KSC Lokeren.

“During the discussion before the game I knew I was allowed to play, a chance to prove myself. And I’m glad I can contribute my part in this important game,” Troost-Ekong told the official website of Gent in his post match comments on Sunday.

“If I had stress? Obviously there was a little, but I had to focus primarily on my own tasks.

“My previous two games were good so I also drew confidence. Anyway, we did as a team today, what we should do.”

Troost-Ekong, 23, has assisted the Gent goalkeeper post three shutouts in the three games he played in the league.

Igho Kingsley

www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=22363
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 12:23pm On Mar 14, 2017
Chelsea Dazzler Moses Doubtful For Nigeria Friendlies After Suffering Calf Injury

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4999159_moses_jpgyyy_jpeg360ec46cda4c4e12b2396c10a308e786

Chelsea right wing-back Victor Moses is a big doubt for Nigeria’s upcoming friendlies against Senegal and Burkina Faso at the Hive Stadium in London, England,
allnigeriasoccer.com understands.

Moses limped off injured on Monday night as Chelsea beat Manchester United 1-0 in the Emirates FA Cup and a calf strain is the initial diagnosis of his ailment.

If that is confirmed by Chelsea medics when the Super Eagles star is further assessed in the coming hours, he could face up to three weeks on the sidelines.

Compared to last few seasons where injuries limited his appearances, Moses has been fortunate in the current campaign and has been available for selection in all the games.

Wolfsburg teen star Victor Osimhen is definitely out of the friendlies as he is still recovering from injury and has been replaced in the squad by Olanrewaju Kayode of Austria Vienna.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel

www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=22361
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 12:38pm On Mar 14, 2017
Amuzie Set To Quit Sampdoria In June

By Johnny Edward:

Super Eagles left-back Stanley Amuzie will leave Italian club Sampdoria at the end of the season in search of regular football, Comple tesportsnigeria.com reports.

Amuzie, who joined the Serie A side last August after featuring for the Nigeria U-23 team at the Rio Olympics football event, is unhappy at the lack of opportunity to play since rejoining the club.

"We are considering several options for him ahead of the summer transfer window if things do remain as they are now," Amuzie's agent Ayo Makinwa told Completesportsnigeria.com.

Amuzie who is yet to feature for Sampdoria this season has made two international appearances for the Super Eagles.

He previously featured for Olhanense in the Portuguese second division.

www.completesportsnigeria.com/amuzie-set-quit-sampdoria-june/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 12:40pm On Mar 14, 2017
Dosu: Rangers Must Defend Well, Score Early Goal Vs Zamalek In Enugu

By Izuchukwu Okosi:

Former Nigeria international, Dosu Joseph, has warned Enugu Rangers to be defensively disciplined in the return leg of their CAF Champions League Round of 32 game against Zamalek of Egypt, Comple tesportsnigeria.comreports.

The Flying Antelopes lost 4-1 to the Egyptians on Sunday and must to score three goals without conceding any at the Nnamdi Azikiwe Stadium Enugu to edge the Egyptians and reach the group stage of the competition.

"Hard work and determination will be the factors for Rangers to go through, with a game plan from the coach," Dosu told Comple tesportsnigeria.com.

"The defenders must be wary of the tricky Egyptians. The north Africans are extremely good footballers who can also try to con the referee.

"Its going to be a very tough one. Rangers must score three goals to qualify for the next round. Do I think they can do it? Yes, they can.

History has proven such things can happen. We all know the Barcelona example."

Dosu, who was in Nigeria's 1996 Olympics squad, also stressed that a rapid response aside defensive solidity by the Rangers' attack in the second leg will help.

"Both quick goals and discipline at the back are keys. They need to score on time so that Zamalek can be put under pressure. Rangers can do it too. I wish them the very best of luck," Dosu, a former Julius Berger goalkeeper told Comple tesportsnigeria.com.

The Flying Antelopes are expected to return to Nigeria from Egypt Tuesday afternoon.

www.completesportsnigeria.com/dosu-rangers-must-defend-well-score-early-goal-vs-zamalek-enugu/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 12:50pm On Mar 14, 2017
Moyes Expects Anichebe’s Return To Action Early April

Sunderland boss David Moyes says he expects injured Nigerian forward Victor Anichebe to be back in action in early April.

A medial ligament injury has kept Anichebe out of the Sunderland side who are currently bottom in the Premier League table.

He has featured just once since the turn of the year – in a 2-0 away loss to West Brom. And the Black Cats have struggled in his absence.

Anichebe is expected to be available for Sunderland's last 10 games of the seasin and could feature against Watford on April 1, Moyes is however not too optimistic.

"I’m hoping that getting Victor back at the beginning of April, we’re looking sort of another three weeks," he toldThe Chronicle.

"Could he be back [for Watford]? "I hope so but I’m not quite convinced."

Anichebe has scored three goals in 11 appearances since joining
Sunderland on a free transfer from West Brom.

www.completesportsnigeria.com/moyes-expects-anichebes-return-action-early-april/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 12:52pm On Mar 14, 2017
Ikeme, Aluko Make Championship Team Of The Weekend

Nigerian duo Carl Ikeme and Sone Aluko have been included in the SkyBet Championship Team of the Weekend,Comple tesportsnigeria.comreports.

According to fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk Ikeme and Aluko's inclusion in the Team of the Weekend was not unconnected to their impressive performances for Wolverhampton Wanderers and Fulham respectively.

Ikeme was instrumental for Wolves who halted a seven-game winless run with a hard-fought 1-0 home win against Rotherham United.

The win lifts Wolves to 20th and on 39 points in the league table and one point above the relegation zone.

On his part, Aluko provided two assists in Fulham's 3-1 away win against Championship leaders Newcastle United at St. James' Park.

With the win against Newcastle, Fulham climbed to seventh on the log and are just two points away from the playoff spot.

Meanwhile Aluko is also in the running for Fulham's Man-of-the-Match award against Newcastle.
SkyBet Championship Team of the Weekend

Carl Ikeme (Wolverhampton Wanderers)
John Brayford (Burton Albion)
Dan Burn (Wigan Athletic)
Christopher Schindler (Huddersfield Town)
Darnell Furlong (QPR)
Matty James (Barnsley)
Ryan Sessegnon (Fulham)
Tom Barkhuizen (Preston)
Jonathan Kodjia (Aston Villa)
Cameron Jerome (Norwich)
Sone Aluko (Fulham)

www.completesportsnigeria.com/ikeme-aluko-make-championship-team-weekend/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 1:02pm On Mar 14, 2017
Onuachu Saves Midtjylland As Onazi Inspires Trabzonspor To Victory

By James Agberebi:

Nigerian forward Paul Onuachu rescued a point for his club Midtjylland who held AaB to a 1-1 away draw in the Danish top flight on Monday night, reports Completesportsnigeria.com.

Onuachu scored in the 91st minute to make sure Midtjylland shared the spoils with AaB.

AaB had taken the lead in the 55th minute through Frederik Borsting.

The goal was Onuachu’s eighth in 24 appearances for his club this season.

His Nigerian teammate, Rilwan Hassan, was on from the start in the game before he went off for Jonas Borring on 75 minutes.

In the Turkish Super League also on Monday night, Super Eagles midfielder Ogenyi Onazi made a 90 minute appearance for Trabzonspor who beat home side Akhisar Belediye 3-1.

www.completesportsnigeria.com/60212-2/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Certitude(m): 1:02pm On Mar 14, 2017
Lordabas:
I suspect Ahmed Musa will be out of the super eagles team soon if he doesn't step up his game. Too many young talented wingers waiting in the sidelines because of one braindead okada man
Please mind your words.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 1:10pm On Mar 14, 2017
Adamu: Nigeria Should Back “God-Sent” Hayatou In CAF Elections

By Izuchukwu Okosi:

Former Federation of International Football Associations executive committee member Amos Adamu has given his backing to the CAF presidential bid of incumbent Issa Hayatou and has sensationally called the Cameroonian who has been in the saddle since 1988 “a God sent” to Nigeria’s football,
Comple tesportsnigeria.com reports.

The elections into the executive board of the continent’s football body hold on Thursday in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and the former boss of the National Sports Commission spoke exclusively to Completesportsigeria.com as the build-up to the elections continues.

“Issa Hayatou has done a lot of good to Nigerian football, trust me,” Adamu told Completesportsnigeria.com on Monday.

“When our football was in crisis and FIFA threatened to ban us, who did we run to for help, Hayatou.

“He has stood by us in difficult moments, so now that he needs our little vote, is it fair that we deny him that support? The Nigeria Football Federation should back Hayatou. He is the ‘devil’ we know. It is better for us to support the ‘devil’ we know than the ‘angel’ we don’t know. Hayatou is God sent to Nigeria’s football.

“I don’t know who Ahmad Ahmad is. All I know about him is that he is said to be from Madagascar. We should not let our sentiments becloud our sense of judgement. If they put Hayatou and Ahmad side-by-side, surely I cannot go for Ahmad.”

The President of the NFF, Amaju Pinnick, has openly endorsed Ahmad to be CAF President, while former some other Nigerians have also expressed their support for Hayatou.

Adamu further told Comple tesportsnigeria.com that the recent ban imposed on him by FIFA is not reason for his
seeming apathy in the administration of Nigerian football. He also revealed that he will not appeal his ban which
took effect on February 28, 2017.

According to the sanctions, Adamu cannot take part in any football-related activity at national and international level for the next two years for ethics violations.

“I have not been too keen on matters concerning the running of the Nigeria Football Federation because I have other
interests now,” he added.

“Football is a career, either as a player, coach or administrator that you devote plenty of time to. I don’t have any personal problem with anyone.

“And I want to reiterate that the FIFA ban has nothing to do with my stance. The NFF should do the right things.

Some people accuse me of so many things but when you are not guilty of something you don’t need to be worked up.

I’m innocent of all the accusations leveled against me anyway. I won’t appeal the FIFA ban.”

Aside from the battle for president, CAF Executive Committee members will also be elected for North Zone, West A Zone, West B Zone, Central Zone, Central-East Zone and Southern Zone. NFF president Amaju Pinnick is up against Benin Republic’s Anjorin Moucharafou.

“No comment on the election for that post. Let the winner from that one emerge before I will have something to say,” Adamu responded on Pinnick’s aspirations to win the election of the members of the CAF Executive Committee for the 2017 – 2021 cycle in the West B zone.

www.completesportsnigeria.com/adamu-nigeria-back-god-sent-hayatou-caf-elections/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 1:12pm On Mar 14, 2017
Post By Djeniko March 14, 2017 at 3:14 am

I thought Amos Adamu has been banned by FIFA meaning he cannot comment on football related matters. Fifa should look at the laws again if commenting on fball related matters under ban incurs increasing the ban. There must be something like that somewhere. Check well I beg. Adamu is endorsing Hayatou but he did not openly endorse Pinnick Amaju. Wicked bad belly. Adamu is enjoying the money he took as bribe. NFF and Nigerian money was also stolen by him. So it is no surprise he is endorsing Hayatou. I just wonder why nothing was found against Hayatou. It baffles me. It is because of Hayatou many fans in Nigeria cannot watch international matches on our local tv channels except on SuperSport channel. I thought Hayatou could have been banned before Thursday’s election. Just formulate any crime against him. That is politics for you. Hayatou would have done it if he was the Fifa President and someone is running against the Fifa preferred candidate. African way of politics. Nigeria and Nigerians want changes and Pinnick Amaju has been mandated to go vote for that change by voting for Ahmad. Whether we don’t know him is irrelevant in this case as change is what African and Africa want in CAF. Final.

#Copied#
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 1:15pm On Mar 14, 2017
Oliseh’s Sittard Lose Again As Nwakali Wins With Maastricht

By Johnny Edward:

Ten-man Fortuna Sittard lost for the third time under former Nigeria coach Sunday Oliseh on Monday, going down 2-0 at home to NAC Breda in a Dutch second division league clash, reports Completesportsnigeria.com.

Second-half goals from Bart Meijers and James Horsfield condemned Fortuna Sittard to their 14th defeat of the season in the Eerste Divisie.

Oliseh has now recorded four wins, four draws and three defeats since he took charge in January.

Fortuna Sittard will host De Graafschap in their next game on Friday.

Oliseh’s side now occupy the 16th position with 31 points from 30 games.

Elsewhere in Holland, Kelechi Nwakali was in action for 90 minutes in MVV Maastricht’s 4-1 win over Jong FC Utrecht.

It was the former Nigeria U-17 midfielder’s 23rd appearance for the sixth-placed team. He has scored once.

Goals from Patrick Nkoyi, Joeri Schroyen, Pieter Nys, Emrullah Guvenc moved MVV Maastricht to third in the league table.

www.completesportsnigeria.com/60206-2/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 1:15pm On Mar 14, 2017
terzurum5:
Post By Djeniko March 14, 2017 at 3:14 am

I thought Amos Adamu has been banned by FIFA meaning he cannot comment on football related matters. Fifa should look at the laws again if commenting on fball related matters under ban incurs increasing the ban. There must be something like that somewhere. Check well I beg. Adamu is endorsing Hayatou but he did not openly endorse Pinnick Amaju. Wicked bad belly. Adamu is enjoying the money he took as bribe. NFF and Nigerian money was also stolen by him. So it is no surprise he is endorsing Hayatou. I just wonder why nothing was found against Hayatou. It baffles me. It is because of Hayatou many fans in Nigeria cannot watch international matches on our local tv channels except on SuperSport channel. I thought Hayatou could have been banned before Thursday’s election. Just formulate any crime against him. That is politics for you. Hayatou would have done it if he was the Fifa President and someone is running against the Fifa preferred candidate. African way of politics. Nigeria and Nigerians want changes and Pinnick Amaju has been mandated to go vote for that change by voting for Ahmad. Whether we don’t know him is irrelevant in this case as change is what African and Africa want in CAF. Final.

#Copied#

FIFA cannot take away his freedom of speech.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 1:35pm On Mar 14, 2017
Isaac Success named in Nigeria squad ahead of double-header at Barnet's The Hive

Success in Super Eagles squad for north London friendly
/ Ron Walker, Senior sports writer / ronnabe

Isaac Success has been named in Nigeria's squad for their upcoming double-header with Senegal and Burkina Faso at Barnet's The Hive later this month.

The 20-year-old striker has had to settle for cameo appearances for Watford in recent weeks, in his latest return from injury, and has made only a solitary start for the Hornets this season.

But he has still been named in a striker-heavy squad for the Super Eagles' games in north London, which will be played on March 23 and 27.

There is no place, however, for former Hornet Odion Ighalo, who misses out despite playing both of new club Changchun Yatai's season in the Chinese Super League.

Success is still yet to make his debut for his country, having withdrawn from a Nigeria squad late last year with injury - which sparked a brief controversy over whether his condition had been fabricated.

But the Super Eagles later confirmed they had no issue with the player or club's version of events.

Tickets for the two games this month can be bought by clicking here.

www.harrowtimes.co.uk/sport/15152743.Success_in_Super_Eagles_squad_for_north_London_friendly/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 1:42pm On Mar 14, 2017
Disgrace! Shame! Rohr has been Compromised, Babayaro Fires

Former Super Eagles Goal keeper, Emmanuel Babayaro has branded as disgraceful the 25-man list for the team’s friendlies against Senegal and Burkina Faso due for later this month because only one player from the Nigeria Professional Football League was invited.

The Nigeria Football Federation made the list available on March 1st and the FA’s Technical Department head, Bitrus Bewarang told footballlive.ng that the department only played a supervisory role in the scouting and eventual composition of the list.

Bewarang maintains, though, that the Eagles’ handler had the backing of the FA on his policy direction on the invitation of players based abroad and who also have dual nationalities.

Reacting to the composition March 23rd and 27th friendlies, Babayaro claims several ex-players were boycotting the games as a sign of protest over the non inclusion of more home based players.

He suggested the 63-year-old German tactician had been compromised over his selection of players from obscure ends of Europe at the detriment of a much improved NPFL that also boasts of a recent CNN Football goal of the week award winner.

Babayaro, who won gold with Nigeria at the 1996 Olympic Games, insists the situation is a disgrace and huge let down to the efforts of the players, clubs and League Management Company to ensure the NPFL competes favorably on teh continent.

footballlive.ng/footballnews/9ja-news/disgrace-shame-rohr-has-been-compromised-babayaro-fires/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 1:47pm On Mar 14, 2017
Africa set for U20 World Cup without giants Ghana, Nigeria

Africa are set to participate in the FIFA Under-20 World Cup without giants Ghana and Nigeria.

The two powerhouses failed to qualify for the just-ended Africa Youth Championship held in Zambia.

The host beat Senegal 2-0 to win the crown to join Guinea and South Africa as the continent's representative ahead of the World Cup in South Korea.

Ghana's Black Satellites failed to qualify for the tournament after losing to Senegal while Nigeria’s Flying Eagles also lost to Sudan in the qualifying campaign.

mobile.ghanasoccernet.com/africa-set-for-u20-world-cup-without-giants-ghana-nigeria

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 1:57pm On Mar 14, 2017
Celtic Linked With This Nigerian Youngster- Why Brendan Rodgers Has To Make This Move Happen?

Posted BY Prasoon Sur

Celtic Linked With This Nigerian Youngster- Why Brendan Rodgers Has To Make This Move Happen?

Celtic are constructing themselves, brick by brick, to form a fearsome side, not only on the domestic soil but also in Europe. The Bhoys have been in spectacular form so far this term in the Ladbrokes Premiership and could go on to clinch the league silverware as an invincible side but then their record in Europe worsened this time around as well. There is an apparent need to up the ante when it comes to the global stage.

Brendan Rodgers has made his intentions quite clear: he wants a strong footing for his side in the Champions League. Owing to their league triumph once again, Celtic are to get a spot in the Champions League group stage and thus, beefing their squad with quality should hold paramount importance in the summer transfer window. One of the very gettable targets they have placed on their radar is Eupen’s winger Henry Onyekuru.

The 19-year-old has risen tremendously in stature of late due to his calibre and consistency in performances in the Belgian First Division, scoring 14 goals in 31 outings in all competitions. His attacking prowess includes raw pace, an ability to tear defences apart, a knack to score as well as to create innumerable goal-scoring opportunities and he also possesses excellent dribbling skills and no wonder that major European heavyweights are already hovering over him.

Moreover, Onyekuru is someone who can ply his trade meticulously across all the slots in the attacking zone, has shown his notable calmness and precision on and off the ball time and again and considering his age, he is likely to have an upward trajectory in his career in the coming years.

The Premier League is the ultimate destination for most of the developing young guns on the block but a move to Celtic at such an early stage would lend him an excellent opportunity to make a mark for himself on the global stage.

To spice up the scenario, Onyekuru had admitted in the recent months that he is set to leave Eupen, which has alerted Rodgers.

The Hoops’ flamboyance in the ongoing season might appear to be a satisfying one but the inherent likelihood of sides like Celtic losing out on their key personnel after a spectacular season implies that they would dig deep in the summer transfer window and the Nigerian wonder kid would be ideal asset to have in the ranks of a world-class manager in the shape of the former Liverpool gaffer, Rodgers.

the4thofficial.net/2017/03/celtic-linked-nigerian-youngster-brendan-rodgers-make-move-happen/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 2:03pm On Mar 14, 2017
3 Players Who Will Be Crucial If Leicester City Are To Beat Sevilla

Posted BY Anirban Sarkar

All is not finished for Leicester City. The Foxes are scheduled to face Sevilla in a very crucial second leg tie of Uefa Champions league which could well decide their fate this season. Sevilla were the better side when the two teams met last time. The Spanish team have a 2-1 aggregate lead but Leicester have the advantage of a crucial away goal.

The 2-1 loss also happened to be the last game of Claudio Ranieri. The Italian was fired by the club hierarchy despite guiding his team to the Premier League title last season. The gaffer’s inability to get the best out of his team has compelled the club to take such a harsh decision. Since his removal, they have won consecutive games against Liverpool and Hull City.

Sevilla’s form hasn’t been the best as they have drawn their last two matches. They played a 1-1 draw against a lower ranked CD Leganes in the La Liga to deal a major blow to their title hopes. It would be a very interesting battle as Jorge Sampaoli’s side will take on Leicester in a bid to cement their place in the Champions League quarters.

3 Leicester City Players Who Need To Perform Against Sevilla

Danny Drinkwater

The midfielder has been one of the most consistent players for the Foxes. The defending champions were languishing in the drop zone but a sudden u-turn in form has helped them to move out of the relegation zone.

Leicester showed a sign of improvement when they dominantly defeated Liverpool 3-1. Drinkwater scored a stunning goal in that match. The midfielder has missed a large part of the season due to injury and has struggled since his return but he has to be at his best to get past a resilient Sevilla.

Riyad Mahrez

The winger has so far failed to produce his last season’s magic. He, however, was very good in the 3-1 win over Hull City and also scored the second goal of his team. He showed some lovely skills and brilliant footwork which must have given relief to his coach. Leicester have to win this match and much is dependent on this player. Claudio Ranieri’s departure seemed to be an antidote for the players who have started to revive their form.

Jamie Vardy

Last season’s hero has been awful this term. After seeing his current run of games, some people have already started to say that the player was nothing but a fluke last season. However, he showed a glimpse of his talent against Liverpool when he scored a brace and the Englishman will be hoping to carry on his form.

the4thofficial.net/2017/03/3-players-will-crucial-leicester-city-beat-sevilla/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 2:04pm On Mar 14, 2017
Wilfred Ndidi should be the fourth player then
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 2:07pm On Mar 14, 2017
Govt directs NFF to back Hayatou for CAF post

Abuja: Nigeria’s government has ordered the head of the country’s football association to back current CAF president Issa Hayatou of Cameroon in his re-election bid, a senior official said on Monday.

The decree from on high came despite Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) president Amaju Pinnick having publicly come out in support of Hayatou’s main challenger, Ahmad Ahmad.

Pinnick’s backing for Madagascar’s Ahmad has put him at loggerheads with the NFF, the country’s sports minister Solomon Dalung, and Nigerian members of CAF’s executive committee.

A senior figure in Nigeria’s presidency confirmed that a meeting chaired by Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo ordered Pinnick to vote for Hayatou because of Nigerian ties with Cameroon.

Speaking on condition of anonymity, the source confirmed that Dalung contacted the presidency about Thursday’s vote in Addis Ababa and asked what the country’s position should be.

“There is an existing joint relationship between Nigeria and Cameroon and most recently both countries collaborated in the fight against the Boko Haram insurgency,” he added.

Agence France-Presse

gulftoday.ae/portal/ac80fcb7-de5f-483e-8339-7b6721500e10.aspx
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 2:10pm On Mar 14, 2017
Rohr under pressure to invite domestic league stars

Festus Abu

Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr has come under increased pressure from within the Nigeria Football Federation and clubs over his decision to omit domestic league stars from the friendly games against Senegal and Burkina Faso.

The Super Eagles clash against Gabon 2017 Africa Cup of Nations quarterfinalists Senegal’s Teranga Lions on March 23 before taking on Burkina Faso’s Stallions, who came third in the Gabon tournament, four days later. Both matches will be played in London.

IfeanyiUbah goalkeeper Ikechukwu Ezenwa is the only domestic league player named by German manager Rohr in his 25-man squad for the two fixtures, which will serve as tune-up games for the Eagles before their Cameroon 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against South Africa in June, as well as their Russia 2018 World Cup qualifying double-header against Cameroon on August 28 and September 2.

Rohr’s assistant Salisu Yusuf has also come under intense scrutiny from his employers for allegedly not making a strong case for the inclusion of some of the domestic league stars in the squad.

A number of ex-internationals, domestic league club coaches and administrators have unleashed a barrage of criticism against Rohr and the NFF over the decision to leave Nigerian Premier League stars such as MFM striker Stephen Odey, who is currently leading the goalscoring chart with eight goals, Remo Stars’ Victor Mbaoma, Enugu Rangers’ Osas Okoro, Kano Pillars’ Rabiu Ali and Gambo Mohammed out of the friendlies.

The critics said the domestic league players should have been given the chance to stake their claim for places in the Eagles following the omission of China-based trio Mikel Obi, Odion Ighalo and Brown Ideye from the London fixtures.

Our correspondent learnt that the federation is not comfortable with the development and has allegedly asked Rohr to name at least four home-based players in the Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Bafana Bafana in June.

It was also learnt that Rohr is also under pressure to drop some of the established players, who have been turning in below par performances for the national team.

The League Management Company is also said to be unhappy that its products are not attracting interest from Rohr, in spite of the fact that some of them have proved themselves in big games.

punchng.com/rohr-under-pressure-to-invite-domestic-league-stars/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 2:16pm On Mar 14, 2017
AF Nigeria 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers - Africa
Six uncapped players in Burkina Faso squad to face Nigeria

Aristide Bance of Burkina Faso (l) celebrates goal during the 2017 African Cup of Nations Finals Afcon quarterfinal football match between Burkina Faso and Tunisia at the Libreville Stadium in Gabon on 28 January 2017 ©Gavin Barker/BackpagePix

by Graeme Jackson

Burkina Faso have included six uncapped players in a 25-man squad which will do duty against Nigeria in a friendly later this month.

The Super Eagles and the Stallions will clash at the Hive Stadium in London on March 27, four days after the former face Senegal at the same venue.

Paulo Duarte, the Burkinabe coach, has included the following six uncapped players in his selection: Patterson Kaboré, Dylan Ouédraogo, Abdul Meyker Yabré, Stéphane Aziz Ki, Anthony Koura and Abdoul Gafar Sirima.

Burkina Faso’s selection includes high profile names such as Charles Kabore, Aristide Bance and Bertrand Traore. Only goalkeeper Sawadogo Aboubacar and defender Coulibaly Yacouba are locally-based.

Burkina Faso squad, as listed by
Allnigeriasoccer.com:

1. Sanou moussa Germain (Beauvais, France)
2. Koffi Kouakou Hervé (ASEC, Ivory Coast)
3. Sawadogo Aboubacar (RCK, Burkina Faso)
4. Kaboré Patterson (CD Eldense, Spain)
5. Ouédraogo Dylan (AS Monaco U19, France)
6. Paro Issouf (Santos, South Africa)
7. Malo Patrick Arnaud (Smouha, Egypt)
8. Dayo Issoufou (RC Berkanec, Morocco)
9. Coulibaly Yacouba (RCB, Burkina Faso)
10. Yago Steeve Farid (Toulouse FC, France)
11. Abdou Razack Traoré (Kardemir Karabukspor, Turkey)
12. Saré Bakary (Moreirense, Portugal)
13. Touré Ibrahim Blati (Omonia Nicosia, Cyprus)
14. Guira Adama (RC lens, France)
15. Kaboré Charles (Krasnodar, Russia)
16. Traoré Sibiri Alain (Kayserispor, Turkey)
17. Yabré Abdul Meyker (Vibonese, Italy)
18. Ki Stéphane Aziz (Omonia Nicosia, Cyprus)
19. Bayala Cyrille Barros (Sheriff Tiraspol, Moldova)
20. Koura Anthony (Nancy, France)
21. Nakoulma Prejuce (Nantes, France)
22. Banc Aristide (ASEC, Ivory Coast)
23. Traoré Bertrand Isidore (Ajax, The Netherlands)
24. Diawara Banou (Smouha, Egypt)
25. Sirima Abdoul Gafar (Baltika Kaliningrad, Russia)

africanfootball.com//news/694920/Six-uncapped-players-in-Burkina-Faso-squad-to-face-Nigeria
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 2:18pm On Mar 14, 2017
NFF To Rohr: Get Super Eagles World Cup Ticket Or Go

By Johnny Edward:

The Nigerian Football Federation will not extend the contract of the Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr if he fails to qualify the team for the 2018 World Cup in Russia, reports Completesportsnigeria.com.

Rohr’s side are currently leading Group B of Russia 2018 African World Cup qualifying with six points from two games.

The media officer of the Super Eagles Toyin Ibitoye tweeted on Monday: “The mandate given Rohr by his employers is; Get the @NGSuperEagles to the 2018 World Cup in Russia or your contract won’t be extended.”

Nigeria face reigning African champions Cameroon, who are second in the table, in their next game in Uyo in October.

The Super Eagles won their firsr two qualifying matches, beating Zambia 2-1 in Ndola and Algeria 3-1 in Uyo.

www.completesportsnigeria.com/nff/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:03pm On Mar 14, 2017
nonsense talk

terzurum5:
Disgrace! Shame! Rohr has been Compromised, Babayaro Fires

Former Super Eagles Goal keeper, Emmanuel Babayaro has branded as disgraceful the 25-man list for the team’s friendlies against Senegal and Burkina Faso due for later this month because only one player from the Nigeria Professional Football League was invited.

The Nigeria Football Federation made the list available on March 1st and the FA’s Technical Department head, Bitrus Bewarang told footballlive.ng that the department only played a supervisory role in the scouting and eventual composition of the list.

Bewarang maintains, though, that the Eagles’ handler had the backing of the FA on his policy direction on the invitation of players based abroad and who also have dual nationalities.

Reacting to the composition March 23rd and 27th friendlies, Babayaro claims several ex-players were boycotting the games as a sign of protest over the non inclusion of more home based players.

He suggested the 63-year-old German tactician had been compromised over his selection of players from obscure ends of Europe at the detriment of a much improved NPFL that also boasts of a recent CNN Football goal of the week award winner.

Babayaro, who won gold with Nigeria at the 1996 Olympic Games, insists the situation is a disgrace and huge let down to the efforts of the players, clubs and League Management Company to ensure the NPFL competes favorably on teh continent.

footballlive.ng/footballnews/9ja-news/disgrace-shame-rohr-has-been-compromised-babayaro-fires/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:04pm On Mar 14, 2017
nonsense reporting.. why the undue pressure when the coach is well on course?
terzurum5:
NFF To Rohr: Get Super Eagles World Cup Ticket Or Go

By Johnny Edward:

The Nigerian Football Federation will not extend the contract of the Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr if he fails to qualify the team for the 2018 World Cup in Russia, reports Completesportsnigeria.com.

Rohr’s side are currently leading Group B of Russia 2018 African World Cup qualifying with six points from two games.

The media officer of the Super Eagles Toyin Ibitoye tweeted on Monday: “The mandate given Rohr by his employers is; Get the @NGSuperEagles to the 2018 World Cup in Russia or your contract won’t be extended.”

Nigeria face reigning African champions Cameroon, who are second in the table, in their next game in Uyo in October.

The Super Eagles won their firsr two qualifying matches, beating Zambia 2-1 in Ndola and Algeria 3-1 in Uyo.

www.completesportsnigeria.com/nff/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:31pm On Mar 14, 2017
#SuperEagles Radar: GOALS HARVEST. Omeruo Score Own Goal. Umar, Kayode, Akpala, Kalu, Solomon Score. Simon, Onazi Assist. Ebuehi and Ekong Cautioned. Balogun Return.

KicKed by Bryan Efe

SPOTKIK TEAM OF THE WEEK (MAR ’17 WEEK 2)

Late Super Eagles call up Olarenwaju Kayode (Our Player of the Week) retain his place in our team of the week after scoring for the second consecutive round. Gent’s trio of Samuel Kalu, Moses Simon and Troost-Ekong (displaces Oboabona) made our team of the week for the prominent role they played in the trashing of Mechelen. Kalu thereby retain his place from last week. Premier League players a missing due to FA Cup fixtures. Hence, Fegor Ogude takes Ndidi’s place for his all match action against Russian powerhouse Zenit. Teammate Brian Idowu retain his place as the Nigeria’s best left-back at the moment. Ebuehi also keep his place in left-back. Otigba displaces Omeruo, who scored an own goal during the weekend. Retired Victor Enyeama remains our best option between the sticks.

We adopt Gernot Rohr’s favorite formation, the 4-2-3-1, in our pick.

AUSTRIA (ROUND 25)

Austria Vienna 3-0 AC Wolfsberger
Austria Vienna has put six unanswered goals past their opponents in the last two rounds. Super Eagles new invitee, Olarenwaju Kayode, who only got his first invitation to Nigeria’s senior national team as a replacement for injured teen, Victor Osihmen, scored his second consecutive goal in two league games to put a nail in the coffins of visitiors Wolfsberger. The Nigerian only representative in the Austrian top tier has now scored nine goals so far in the 2016/17 season.

BELGIUM (ROUND 30)

Eupen 1-3 Waregem
Kingsley Madu remained in his familiar dugout position for Waregem as they conquered the Nigerian trio of Henry Onyekuru, Jamabo George, and Anthony Bassey at Kehrwegstadion (Eupen). However, instead of Madu, it was relatively unknown 19 year-old Aliko Bala who suited again for the visitors in the dot of 90 minutes. In the side of Eupen, Onyekuru started but was uncharacteristically unimpressive in front of the home fans and was pulled off in the 77th minute. Jamabo started and lasted the distance, whereas, Bassey was not suited up by Eupen.

Gent 3-0 K.V. Mechelen
K.A.A Gent put their loss to fellow Jupiler league team, Genk at the Europa Cup by recording a resounding victory over visiting Mechelen. Nigerians locked horns again in this encounter. While Ighodaro Osaguona‘s cameo for the visitors proved futile, Gent’s parade of all five Nigerians in their roaster paid off immensely. All their Nigerian imports started and completed the match, except Rabiu Ibrahim who joined the fray in the 76th minute. Samuel Kalu on his part, has instantly become Gent’s rave of the moment as he scored for the second consecutive time for Eupen. This time it was fellow Nigerian international, Moses Simon who provided a nice assist. Kalu has now scored three goals for Gent since joining them from Trencin of Slovakia. However, it was Japanese, Yuya Kubo, who stole the headline taking the ball from the center of the field all the way as he tricked his way through a crowed of five defenders in a Messi-like fashion to slot away Gent’s second. Anderson Esiti and William Troost-Ekong were the other Nigerians who were in action mode throughout the encounter. Troost-Ekong was cautioned in the 31’st minute.

http://spotkik.com/2017/03/14/supereagles-radar-goals-harvest-omeruo-score-own-goal-umar-kayode-akpala-kalu-solomon-score-simon-onazi-assist-ebuehi-and-ekong-cautioned-balogun-return/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 5:39pm On Mar 14, 2017
TapDance:

What match was that and who were the top midfielders.

Funny logic so we are using one match to judge a players quality, Mikel has consistently shown over his career he's nothing but a dumb ox, leave it at that.

You are showing that you lack depth and have no appreciation of the discourse in this forum. The words used in your derogatory comments about Mikel Obi have no place here.

I want to assume it's misplaced youthful exuberance that is being expressed here by you.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 5:45pm On Mar 14, 2017
TheGoodJoe:
Players like Egwueke, Uzoenyi, Mba and Obaobona might not have left the Shores of this country if not Keshi's faith in the home based players. Egwueke's performance against South Africa when we went two goals down was amazing. He was virtually the only one in defence.

I have repeatedly said that the challenges Africans face in Europe makes it difficult for accelerated growth. So, judging players by their clubs is not an ideal situation to judge their talents.

I would like to add to your comments that all African origin players largely face differing challenges that is not always about ability.

Did you watch Tottenham V Millwall, watched a young forward player in the name of Onyedinma clearly should be playing at a much higher level. Any comments about him

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (633) (634) (635) (636) (637) (638) (639) ... (16431) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: ddone and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.