Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,028 members, 7,939,147 topics. Date: Tuesday, 03 September 2024 at 07:13 PM

Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? (13370 Views)

20 Top Kitchen Secrets Most People Dont Know / How To Prevent Fire Outbreak In Your Kitchen / Some Unnecessary Kitchen Gadgets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by 0sisi: 7:27pm On Nov 03, 2009
Don't add salt to beans until it's almost done.
Mom says the beans will cook forever if you did otherwise.I've never tried to find out.
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by 0sisi: 7:30pm On Nov 03, 2009
Never ever add palm oil to ji mmiri oku uda (yam peppersoup with uda)
Uda is a spice used to cook for nursing mothers
They said the palm oil will neutralize the taste of the uda.
I've never tried to find out.
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by 0sisi: 7:32pm On Nov 03, 2009
Always mix your ofo with palm oil before adding it to the soup or else it will be lumpy.
Ofo is a soup thickener.
This is true
I've tried doing this without heading moms  advice.
If you sprinkle it in a little at a time,no problems but if you pour it in,it will be lumps of ofo all over the place, nasty.
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by 0sisi: 7:34pm On Nov 03, 2009
Never parboil rice and drain the water or you lose all the vitamins in the rice.
I do that for jollof
sorry mom
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by 0sisi: 7:38pm On Nov 03, 2009
When you get a burn while cooking or baking just rub salt and palm oil on it and it will heal faster
Even here in America I still do that ROFL.
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by 0sisi: 7:41pm On Nov 03, 2009
An iron sponge and vim/ajax is a girl's best friend in the kitchen to keep your pots, pans and stove top shiny.
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by finemocha(f): 8:05pm On Nov 03, 2009
always buy the ripest tomatoes, u will never have to use tomato paste.

my aunty always wanted me to wear foundation while cooking, i was like no way but later my dermatologist confirmed that the heat from the pots can actually darken ur skin or break u out, and foundation protects ur skin. "weird but works for me sha"

handles of pots should NEVER EVER stick out
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by twinskenny(m): 8:06pm On Nov 03, 2009
this is great, i just find out that our ladies of this day still make food on their own thats interesting, i have been to so many restaurant here in Lagos and i find out that number of ladies patronizing them is much more than the guyzz, , hope someone can get a lady who know how to cook as  a wife, like the saying, food is medicine to a man's Heart.
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by 0sisi: 8:08pm On Nov 03, 2009
finemocha:

always buy the ripest tomatoes, u will never have to use tomato paste.

my aunty always wanted me to wear foundation while cooking, i was like no way but later my dermatologist confirmed that[b] the heat from the pots can actually darken your skin[/b] or break u out, and foundation protects your skin. "weird but works for me sha"

handles of pots should NEVER EVER stick out

Only if you use bleaching cream grin
Which heat?
do you cook in a fiery furnace like nebuchadnezzar grin
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by twinskenny(m): 8:09pm On Nov 03, 2009
0sisi:

Only if you use bleaching cream grin
Which heat?
do you cook in a fiery furnace like nebuchadnezzar grin

lol
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by posakosa(m): 8:24pm On Nov 03, 2009
why cook, when you have a maid ?  undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by Agbo2(m): 8:36pm On Nov 03, 2009
Mum never cook maybe I should have learnt from Dad.
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by Pharoh: 8:49pm On Nov 03, 2009
Interesting thread and most of what has been said here i knew them from both parents.
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by caral(f): 8:54pm On Nov 03, 2009
still learning
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by finemocha(f): 8:58pm On Nov 03, 2009
@osisi

my aunty is very light skinned, plus my dermatologist confirmed what she said. but i do cook a lot
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by Hanoobaba(m): 9:04pm On Nov 03, 2009
@mohawkchick: are we not supposed to talk about the rituals we learnt.
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by Epi: 9:15pm On Nov 03, 2009
Don't use my fingers to taste or test the food especially if others are going to eat from it
Don't taste with the same spoon that i am stirring the food with
Kitchen and sink must be cleaned before sharing food
Keep the stove clean, ALWAYS
*my favorite* (when caught wiping my hands on my clothes) - "u don't have an apron or kitchen a towel" grin grin
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by Nobody: 9:28pm On Nov 03, 2009
Epi:

Don't use my fingers to taste or test the food especially if others are going to eat from it
Don't taste with the same spoon that i am stirring the food with
Kitchen and sink must be cleaned before sharing food
Keep the stove clean, ALWAYS
*my favorite* (when caught wiping my hands on my clothes) - "u don't have an apron or kitchen a towel" grin grin

niceone
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by Outstrip(f): 9:34pm On Nov 03, 2009
My dad taught me how not to "carve" the yam LOL. He taught me the proper way to peel a yam
My dad taught me how to fry beans
My mom taught me to sieve the tomatoes to cut down on frying time to boiling time before I cook my stew
My mom taught me how to cook this very spicy rice. I don't know the name I just know how to cook it. She probably made it up. I just call it mommy's rice
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by koolchicco: 9:55pm On Nov 03, 2009
0sisi:

Don't add salt to beans until it's almost done.
Mom says the beans will cook forever if you did otherwise.I've never tried to find out.

Am not sure about this, I dey put salt and it still OK!
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by koolchicco: 9:58pm On Nov 03, 2009
Agbo2:

Mum never cook maybe I should have learnt from Dad.

shocked shocked shocked

@Topic

Anyways, Mum says: Never use Onions when making Onugbu soup. cheesy
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by 0sisi: 10:00pm On Nov 03, 2009
koolchicco:

shocked shocked shocked

@Topic

Anyways, Mum says: Never use Onions when making Onugbu soup. cheesy

Never heard that one.
another good one
soak your stockfish overnight before cooking
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by 0sisi: 10:01pm On Nov 03, 2009
another good tip

add some sliced onions into the pot of soup after cooking and cover it for extra flavour.
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by 0sisi: 10:03pm On Nov 03, 2009
add half a teasponful of sugar in your stew to neutralize any left over acidic taste from the tomato
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by koolchicco: 10:08pm On Nov 03, 2009
0sisi:

Never heard that one.
another good one
soak your stockfish overnight before cooking

Pls dont try to put Onions ooo. Once I tried (was experimenting though) and the soup tasted like

Nsala Soup mix with egusi soup and pepper soup. grin grin   i wont try it again!

And as for the Stock fish, I think you're right. However If its the Cord (not Tusk!!) type of Stock Fish then u need not to soak it.
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by koolchicco: 10:15pm On Nov 03, 2009
0sisi:

add half a teasponful of sugar in your stew to neutralize any left over acidic taste from the tomato

Never heard of that. shocked shocked

0sisi:

another good tip

add some sliced onions into the pot of soup after cooking and cover it for extra flavour.

So true!! cool
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by ponytail: 10:16pm On Nov 03, 2009
don't talk while you are putting the bitterleaf in onugbu (bitterleaf) soup, if not the soup will be bitter
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by koolchicco: 10:20pm On Nov 03, 2009
ponytail:

don't talk while you are putting the bitterleaf in onugbu (bitterleaf) soup, if not the soup will be bitter

Hahahaha, unu don come oo! grin grin
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by Nobody: 10:20pm On Nov 03, 2009
koolchicco:

Am not sure about this, I dey put salt and it still OK!
Really?
Osisi is right though, let it soften first

0sisi:

When you get a burn while cooking or baking just rub salt and palm oil on it and it will heal faster
Even here in America I still do that ROFL.
My mom taught me that.

0sisi:

Never heard of this. . . .might try it.
But how do you know its still acidic? undecided
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by 0sisi: 10:23pm On Nov 03, 2009
koolchicco:

Hahahaha, unu don come oo! grin grin

That is eh
very soon they'll say we need to say 10 hail Mary's before frying akara if not the akara will disintegrate in the oil
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by 0sisi: 10:25pm On Nov 03, 2009
koolchicco:

Pls dont try to put Onions ooo. Once I tried (was experimenting though) and the soup tasted like

Nsala Soup mix with egusi soup and pepper soup. grin grin i wont try it again!

And as for the Stock fish, I think you're right. However If its the Cord (not Tusk!!) type of Stock Fish then u need not to soak it.

I have put onions in my onugbu several times but I don't eat it grin
I don't eat swallow
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by Nobody: 10:28pm On Nov 03, 2009
sprinkle garri inside egusi soup, thickens it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Why Do You Drink Malt Drinks? / Kinds Of Concoction Food You Ate Or Cooked In School? / ###EUROSONIC DISTRIBUTOR: Get Your Kitchen/home Appliances @ Wholesale Prices.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.