Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,187,420 members, 7,932,358 topics. Date: Tuesday, 27 August 2024 at 04:22 AM

Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers - Politics (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers (30856 Views)

Kano Deports 60,000 Beggars To Four States, Other Countries / PHOTOS: Beggers In Front Of National Mosque When Buhari Came To Pray / Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (31) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by NegroNtns(m): 3:24am On Aug 24, 2009
when you cut the hands of a man due to sharia law, dont expect Lagos to welcome him with open arms.

Is this Davidylan or someone maquerading?  Where is Toyin. . .what are you feeding him?  Whatever it is. . .keep it glued to his tongue.  grin

Anyway, my hats off to you David for this response.  I wanted to say something but you said it all and I will shutup.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by NegroNtns(m): 3:25am On Aug 24, 2009
Finally, I want to sound a note of warning to everyone on Nairaland: Do Not Argue with davidylan. Don't ask me why, just don't!

Hey, stop patronizing!
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Kobojunkie: 3:28am On Aug 24, 2009
Negro_Ntns:

Is this Davidylan or someone maquerading? Where is Toyin. . .what are you feeding him? Whatever it is. . .keep it glued to his tongue. grin

Anyway, my hats off to you David for this response. I wanted to say something but you said it all and I will shutup.

I am sorry but that response was sick. I mean many of these poeple are trying to GET AWAY FROM THE REPRESSIVE sharia government that they probably do not support and and we have folks saying they should be kicked back in there?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Nobody: 3:30am On Aug 24, 2009
nex:

@mikeansy

I have seen your effort right from the very start to let my people know that what is wrong is wrong. Yourself and some very few Nairalanders, may you continue to speak the truth.

Adolf Hitler succeeded in doing all he did simply because he was the best president in the world and everybody trusted his judgement. We all know where that led.

Finally, I want to sound a note of warning to everyone on Nairaland: Do Not Argue with davidylan. Don't ask me why, just don't!

what do you mean by the bolded?

because he killed all his opponents or shipped them to concentration camps means everybody trusted his judgement?

I'd have thought you knew about different forms of government.

and cheering brainwashed mobs do not mean "everybody" nor does it make the object of their frenzy the " best president in the world".
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by NegroNtns(m): 3:31am On Aug 24, 2009
Kobo,

I have an idea. . .a money making idea.  Would you love to hear it?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Kobojunkie: 3:32am On Aug 24, 2009
If it is illegal, nah!!
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by oyinda3(f): 3:34am On Aug 24, 2009
Kobojunkie:

If it is illegal, nah!!

haha. good response
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by NegroNtns(m): 3:37am On Aug 24, 2009
I see, you don't like to take risks.  You should embrace adventure from time to time. . .especially those on the margin of legality.  The definition of legality is the responsibility of the government, not mine.  If its not prohibited, then I am assuming it to be legal. . .until defined otherwise by the authorities.

Now, would you like to take an adventure trip with me?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by babapupa: 3:37am On Aug 24, 2009
Onitsha -based transporter Chief Godwin Okeke kidnapped.

Another prominent businessman in   Onitsha, Nigeria's Southeastern Anamabra state was kidnapped today on his way from church. Chief Godwin Okeke known as GUO is the owner of G. U. Okeke and Sons Limited.

In 2007, his son was kidnapped for ransom. It is not known if the family had made any contacts with his kidnappers.

and these yeye people dey here dey holla about fashola. den dey fiddle while rome dey burn,

Fashola need to keep an eye on these Igbo guys, theirs go dey worse than almajiris from up north,  grin
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by NegroNtns(m): 3:38am On Aug 24, 2009
haha. good response

Who said this?  Who is it that  posted this comment?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by babapupa: 3:39am On Aug 24, 2009
I hope den give am beer to take lubricate, ha ha ha ha ha ha ha grin
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Beaf: 3:42am On Aug 24, 2009
@babapupa
Leave Igbo people na! Everybody has left tribal matters, why can't you leave it too? It spoils any discussion and doesn't make sense.

Bros chill na! lipsrsealed
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Kobojunkie: 3:44am On Aug 24, 2009
Negro_Ntns:

I see, you don't like to take risks.  You should embrace adventure from time to time. . .especially those on the margin of legality.  The definition of legality is the responsibility of the government, not mine.  If its not prohibited, then I am assuming it to be legal. . .until defined otherwise by the authorities.

Now, would you like to take an adventure trip with me?
Let's hear it!
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by oyinda3(f): 3:44am On Aug 24, 2009
Negro_Ntns:

Who said this?  Who is it that  posted this comment?

olofofo. why u wan know everything?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by NegroNtns(m): 3:49am On Aug 24, 2009
lmao. . .who else go say something like that but Oyinda. Amebo, where have you been?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Afaukwu: 3:51am On Aug 24, 2009
babapupa:

Onitsha -based transporter Chief Godwin Okeke kidnapped.

Another prominent businessman in   Onitsha, Nigeria's Southeastern Anamabra state was kidnapped today on his way from church. Chief Godwin Okeke known as GUO is the owner of G. U. Okeke and Sons Limited.

In 2007, his son was kidnapped for ransom. It is not known if the family had made any contacts with his kidnappers.

and these yeye people dey here dey holla about fashola. den dey fiddle while rome dey burn,

Fashola need to keep an eye on these Igbo guys, theirs go dey worse than almajiris from up north,  grin

Nigeria: Kidnapped - I Didn't Offer to Pay Ransom, Says Lawmaker

Toba Suleiman

Ado-Ekiti — The lawmaker representing Ekiti South West Constituency 1 in the Ekiti State House of Assembly, Hon. Edward Asaolu, of the Action Congress (AC), has denied media reports that he offered to use part of his 2009 constituency allowance to pay the N10 million ransom demanded by the abductors of Princess Adedoyin Ademileka.

Adedoyin, the grand daughter of the traditional ruler of Ilawe-Ekiti in Ekiti South-West council area of Ekiti State, Oba Adeyemi Ademileka, was kidnapped over a week ago.

Asaolu, who made the denial in a chat with journalists in Ado-Ekiti, said the constituency allowance was meant solely for developmental projects of his constituency which, according to him, cannot be diverted to pay ransom."I want to deny in its entirety the media report which was credited to me that I want to use part of the 2009 constituency allowance to pay part of the N10 million ransom to the kidnappers, " he said.
Relevant Links

The lawmaker, who said although he was personally worried about the safety of the princess and prayed that she will be released back to the community alive to join her family, however disclosed that he was not part of the team that was negotiating the release of the monarch's grand daughter.

Adedoyin was among the five people kidnapped at various locations in the state on August 2 by kidnappers who are demanding a N10 million ransom before her release.

Others are Mrs. Femi Ajepe, an Ado-Ekiti based lawyer, Mr. R.K. Olaiya, Miss Toyin Ade-Ojo and Pastor Babatunde Apata. According to a family source who spoke on the development at the weekend at their Ilawe-Ekiti country home, the abductors had restricted the negotiation on the release of the 16-year-old princess to the royal family alone. "As I am talking to you, the grand daughter of the monarch is still with the kidnappers. What is paramount to all of us now is the safety of the princess, " the source said.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by babapupa: 3:52am On Aug 24, 2009
Beaf

stfu!! don't tell me when to open or close mouth.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Nobody: 3:52am On Aug 24, 2009
is N10 million the standard asking price for kidnappings these days?

something's fishy.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by bbngozi(f): 3:52am On Aug 24, 2009
OK, so I didn't even had the patient to finish the story. i understand that  they are trying to get rid of all the beggar but was that really the best way to approach it? isn't that a violation of human right? anyways i don't really know what to say, I'm just overwhelmed, that was not the best way to handle.

it just seems to me like those beggars are been treated like a three legged sticky dog ( u know wat i mean)
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Afaukwu: 3:53am On Aug 24, 2009
There are kidnappers everywhere.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by babapupa: 3:54am On Aug 24, 2009
These Kidnappings And The Destruction Of Igbo Nation: Why Ndigbo Should Be Worried

These Kidnappings And The Destruction Of Igbo Nation Print
Written by Churchill Obinna Okonkwo
Monday, 15 June 2009 18:00
The chieftaincy titles, the knighthood in the churches, the traditional leaderships, the spoke’s person and all the prestigious positions in all facets of Igbo society should size to be exclusive reserve of the rich. A nation that worships wealth they say shall live to destroy itself.

In the poem “The Second Coming" published in 1921, William Butler Yeats wrote that “… everywhere the ceremony of innocence is drowned; the best lack conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity.” Kidnapping with passionate intensity is the only way one can describe the present situation in South Eastern Nigeria.

The worst of Ndigbo appears to have arrived and taken control of their lives, redefining their value system, traditional believes, morality, and everything they used to know and cherish. While acknowledging that moral decadence in our society cuts across almost all the ethnic nationalities in Nigeria, the alacrity with which the worst in Ndigbo have pervaded their societies and are now seen as role models calls for a critical examination.

I will use the recent wave of kidnappings in Igbo states to drive home my points. It is no longer news that the risks of kidnapping is now higher in south east Nigeria than in Niger Delta region. The passionate intensity with which some umu afo Igbo (sons of the soil) have taken to the act of kidnapping has left me bewildered. To make a clear distinction between why there is happening in Igbo land and not in the middle belt, northern Nigeria or western Nigeria, you need to try and answer this question; If the act of kidnapping is a reflection of the absence of law and order in Nigeria as a whole, why must it be in Igbo land that it has turned into a money making venture without any other cause or justification other than greed?

What started in Niger Delta as an act of protest against the environmental injustices and struggle over resource control which later deteriorated to acts of vandalism, greed, and money making venture has been hijacked, redefined and perfected by “faceless” vandals in south east Nigeria. The worst amongst Ndigbo are gradually taking over reigns of power and as these vandals drives fear into the poor masses.

Among the south eastern states, Anambra state appears to be the worst. There have been cases where the family of poor hostages who couldn’t afford to pay the huge ransom were snookered into selling plots of family land to raise the money by the kidnappers. There was a case where 20 million Naira was demanded and the captive’s family could only come up with 5 million Naira. And you know what the kidnappers did? The killed their hostage and told the family members where to go pick up the corpse and perform the burial ceremony with the 5 million. Just pause and think of that and the callousness.

It all started with the erosion of the sense of shame, courtesy, right and wrong in the past three decades. Amplified with reorientation of the traditional core values of honesty, integrity, equity, communal social responsibility and replaced by greed to get rich at all cost. Very soon, the people that matters, listened to and worshiped in the societies and villages became people that got rich overnight whose sources of wealth, to say the least are most times questionable.

Thus, Ndigbo had the era of Nnukwu Mmanwus (the big masquerades) and the Otimkpus (the praise singers). Igbu ozu became the yard stick to measure responsibility and acceptance in the society. They had the Otokoto era and the Edie Nogu scandals. Bakassi Boys have come and gone.

The prestigious place of civil servants and teachers in the villages were displaced in a chemical reaction that has cash, cars and greed as catalysts resulting in an unbalanced equation. Men who wanted to belong ebe ife na-eme (where things are happening) fled the civil service and teaching. Those who remained turned their offices and class rooms to business centers.

The 4th republic witnessed the first coming to age of the products of that greedy era. The Nnamanis, Mbadinujus, Kalus, Ubahs, Nzeribes and the likes. These acts of kidnapping is a graduation and marks the second coming of the beasts.

Meanwhile, the innocence has been silenced and drowned in Igbo land. The political beasts have rigged their way into elective offices. The traditional value system has been eroded and replaced by greed. Things have fallen apart and anarchy is gradually staring Ndigbo in the face.

I think it’s time for Ndigbo to re-evaluate their value system. Who do Ndigbo see as their role models? What do they cherish and value? What do parents wish for their children? What do a parent who takes a child out of a secondary school and pay their ways for the child to excel in exams through malpractice expect from that generation in ten years time?

Now back to the act of kidnapping for ransom. What drives this present wave of kidnapping in Igbo land? It is greed to get rich in order to belong to that new class of people that has arrived in the society. What most Ndigbo has forgotten is that greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.

The chieftaincy titles, the knighthood in the churches, the traditional leaderships, the spoke’s person and all the prestigious positions in all facets of Igbo society should size to be exclusive reserve of the rich. A nation that worships wealth they say shall live to destroy itself. Are these acts of kidnapping marking the climax of the destruction of Igbo Nation? Ndigbo should be worried at the directions the moral decadence in their society is taking them. This is the time for every Igbo man and woman to pause, re-examine those things they believe in and start making amends.
Last Updated on Wednesday, 17 June 2009 08:44
http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=12526
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Afaukwu: 3:56am On Aug 24, 2009
There are kidnappers in Yorubaland too. They will not write about it or condemn  it like Igbos do their own. Hipocrits
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Beaf: 3:58am On Aug 24, 2009
babapupa:

Beaf

stfu!! don't tell me when to open or close mouth.

Congrats, you've restarted the tribal thing.
You never know when to stop, next thing you'll be the one pointing fingers.

What have your jibes got to do with Fashola and beggers?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Afaukwu: 4:00am On Aug 24, 2009
All of you visit http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/forum/main-square/36266-lagos-deports-160-northern-beggars-4.html and see how this has been condemned by even reasonable Yorubas. Most Yorubas in NL are idiots
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by babapupa: 4:04am On Aug 24, 2009
Beaf

Not now, I'll catch up with you later,
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by NegroNtns(m): 4:07am On Aug 24, 2009
Kobo,

I dont know the precise number of Almajiris deported from Lagos or their total number residing in Lagos but you can see them either as an eyesore or as a source of funding.

I see them as money generator.  Put a levy on the headcount.  Organize their population into heirarchy and give them representation.  Let us assume that they total 1million in population.  Then get a distributive number of state representation and each state is headed by a Head Almajiri and then the Heads are led by a Principal Chief of Almajirai (Plural for Almajiri).  Through these heads the government can run a rehabilitation program that is in turn funded by allocations from their represented home states.  Trust me. . .Kano, Kaduna, Jigawa, Sokoto and other stateswill gladly contribute funding to that program than have their destitutes repatriated back.  

If Lagos levies #500 per day per head of Almajiri to his/her home state then that home state is burdened with the responsibility of care for the Almajiri in transit.  Repatriation is the decision of the Almajiri's home state.  The Almajiri, if reptriated,should vent and be bitter to his/her home statefor not caring for their well being in Lagos.  

May I add that the care and wellness facilities should be privately run and staffed.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Beaf: 4:11am On Aug 24, 2009
Negro_Ntns:

Kobo,

I dont know the precise number of Almajiris deported from Lagos or their total number residing in Lagos but you can see them either as an eyesore or as a source of funding.

I see them as money generator. Put a levy on the headcount. Organize their population into heirarchy and give them representation. Let us assume that they total 1million in population. Then get a distributive number of state representation and each state is headed by a Head Almajiri and then the Heads are led by a Principal Chief of Almajirai (Plural for Almajiri). Through these heads the government can run a rehabilitation program that is in turn funded by allocations from their represented home states. Trust me. . .Kano, Kaduna, Jigawa, Sokoto and other stateswill gladly contribute funding to that program than have their destitutes repatriated back.

If Lagos levies #500 per day per head of Almajiri to his/her home state then that home state is burdened with the responsibility of care for the Almajiri in transit.
Repatriation is the decision of the Almajiri's home state. The Almajiri, if reptriated,should vent and be bitter to his/her home statefor not caring for their well being in Lagos.

May I add that the care and wellness facilities should be privately run and staffed.

Rubbish. Is this not oil money being "re-shared"?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Nobody: 4:13am On Aug 24, 2009
Afaukwu:

All of you visit http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/forum/main-square/36266-lagos-deports-160-northern-beggars-4.html and see how this has been condemned by even reasonable Yorubas. Most Yorubas in NL are idiots

you're quite welcome to your opinion.

If NVS Yorubas suit you better, then why fraternize with Yoruba idiots on NL.

Is this the type of post more suitable to your taste:

Come to think of it, is Governor Fashola very sure that he is a Lagosian ?

The settlement named Eko by the Edos and named Lagos by the Portuguese, was founded by Oba Orhogbua, one of the ancient Edo kingdom Obas, trained in Portuguese military and maritime academies.

Orhogbua returned to Benin from Portugal after his training.

On his ascension to the Benin throne, he fell back on the knowledge acquired, during his training in Portugal; as his training exposed him to the importance of maritime trade, and established Eko and some other West African coastal settlements as Edo Kingdom trading ports and military camps.Many Eko indigenes, especially Esale Eko people are descendants of Edo warriors, Edo traders and Edo diplomats who were resident in Eko, during the days of the old Benin Kingdom/Empire

Can we declare that Governor Fashola is probably traceable to Edo ancestors; after all, he even deliberately chose to attend the University of Benin for a reason; and should therefore be deported to Edo state?

and is this post from a Yoruba idiot:

For good or for bad, every bona fide Nigerian is supposed to have a "state of origin". Consequeuntly, each and everyone of the destitute rural-urban migrants or/and beggars has a "state of origin".

Now, if I may ask: Of what use is a "state of origin" if the government of such a state has no OBLIGATIONS whatsoever on those who claim to have "originated" from them?

The fact still remains that, although Nigeria is a federation of sorts, it is not a reason for states to be blackmailed into absorbing costs and bearing the brunt of the social welfare responsibilities of the citizens of other states that have glaringly completely abdicated their fundamental responsibilities to their citizens.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by NegroNtns(m): 4:14am On Aug 24, 2009
Mr Oil Magnate,

How else, beside redistribution of money and wealth, do you envision that you could ever grow the domestic economy?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by NegroNtns(m): 4:18am On Aug 24, 2009
If Lagos levies #500 per day per head of Almajiri to his/her home state then that home state is burdened with the responsibility of care for the Almajiri in transit. Repatriation is the decision of the Almajiri's home state. The Almajiri, if reptriated,should vent and be bitter to his/her home statefor not caring for their well being in Lagos.

Correction. . . the bold should read "Repatriation is the choice of the Almajiri's home state." The decision rests with Lagos.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Afaukwu: 4:19am On Aug 24, 2009
In rapid succession, three illegal detention camps operated by Muslim scholars, where inmates are subjected to inhuman treatment, are discovered in Ibadan

By Gbenro Adesina/Ibadan
• Imoniyi: Detained and raped inmates.

Musilat Bashiru, 20, a resident of Ilugun area of Ibadan, was unsure of what fate had in stock for her when, against her will, her mother, Adijat, handed her over to Alhaji Abdulganiyu Imoniyi, a Muslim cleric who operated an illegal detention centre at Ile-Tuntun Odinjo, in the Sango area of Ibadan. Adijat had requested Alhaji Imoniyi to school Musilat in the ways of Islam. Instead, however, Musilat was subjected to various forms of inhuman treatment. According to Musilat, she was raped repeatedly for four years she was in the camp, and her pubic hair constantly shaved to make charms. She also lamented that she bore a child for the Muslim cleric.

Narrating her ordeal to people after she was released from the camp by policemen, a despondent Musilat said that whenever Imoniyi wanted to have sex, he would just come in to where the inmates were and order any lady he wanted to come out and have a bath. When the lady came out, he would instruct her to lie down naked and forcefully have sex with her.

“I always refused but he would keep beating me to the extent that I would get tired and he would start having sex with me. He would do it as if he was sleeping with an animal. It was usually painful. At times, he would sleep with me for about two hours,” Musilat said.

Another victim, Bose Ogunjimi, 23, said during her two-year stay in the camp, she was forced to have sex with the cleric and his workers, adding that any of them had sex with her whenever they wanted to, as there was nobody she could complain to. She also could not run away as her legs, neck and hands were chained.

In her own case, Risikat Ojediran was in the camp for six years before being rescued by the policemen. A pretty 25-year-old lady, she said her captors, both Imoyi and his aides, raped her at will.
• The detainees.

Her words: “ There was a day that early in the morning, Alfa slept with me three times. About 12 noon, another person came and forcefully took me outside and slept with me. Not more than two hours later, the third person came and slept with me. I almost died. They are very wicked.”

Interestingly, all the ladies, who said they no longer menstruated for the period of their incarceration, resumed the cycle the day they were paraded before the public. Some of them were heard begging the policemen to give them tissue paper to stem the flow of blood from them.

It was, however, not just a female affair, as about 15 men narrated their own horrible experiences. One of them was Nurudeen Olawoyin, who disclosed that the inmates were made to live without food and water for several days, adding that they were further subjected to various forms of torture. Nurudeen, a 400 level student of Business Administration at the Yaba Tech College of Technology, YABATEC, claimed inmates were made to eat excreta mixed with herbs. Amazingly, all the inmates were taken to the centre by their parents, except one identified as Segun, who was allegedly abducted. The eventual exposure of the camp was the result of a petition dated 5 February 2008, written by Nurudeen Olawoyin of 66B/779H Owode Academy, captioned: “Save my soul from the hands of 419 woman, one Alhaja Murili Ayorinde and others now at large.”

According to Olawoyin, he was duped of N380,000:00 by Alhaja Murili of Testing Ground, Iwo Road, Ibadan, since 2003 under the pretence that she would procure for him visas to Dubai and Saudi Arabia. However, after being duped, the duo hatched a plan with Alfa Imoniyi who took him to his house where he was charmed, locked up and serially tortured for almost three years, with all his property seized.

Eventually, acting on the petition, detectives stormed the camp, where they arrested Alfa Imoniyi, Oyeniyi and others, while 30 victims were liberated from captivity. Although the adult captives have been released, nine underage inmates have been taken to welfare homes, while their parents and the suspected captors are still being detained at Iyaganku Police Station, pending being charged to court.
• Parents of the victims.

Barely a week after the Sango experience, another illegal detention camp situated at Oojo area of Ibadan, in Akinyele Local Government Area, was discovered. Here, it was alleged, the dead bodies of inmates were  fed to the survivors by the operators. The magazine gathered that 92 captives, including a mobile policeman who has allegedly spent two years, were rescued while nine people suspected to be operators of the camp are currently in the police net awaiting prosecution. Addressing newsmen, the Oyo State Commissioner of Police, Assistant Inspector-General Udom Ekpoudom, said the grievous inhuman treatment of many of the captives usually resulted in multiple death, adding that the testimony of some of the rescued captives showed that they were administered with concoctions made from water with which dead inmates were washed.

“Grievous inhuman treatment and torture usually resulted in multiple death of the inmates who were subsequently buried without any report from the police. The hostages in unison confessed that bodies of deceased inmates were usually eaten by their captors.”

Ekpoudom disclosed that a majority of the captives “were shrunk to skeletal frame, with severe burns and rashes”.

Parading the nine suspected operators of the illegal camp, which include Muhammed Olore, Dauda Afanda and Muhammed Adeyemi, the AIG said the police had discovered that six of the hostages who were females were allegedly subjected “to series of sexual acts against their wishes” while “illegal abortions were carried out on the pregnant inmates in the camp”.

He stressed that the state police command was informed of the existence of the  camp by a victim who said he was abducted by some unknown men who claimed to be policemen on 5 February when he was about to open his shop located at Oojo.

The informant said he was immediately taken to the camp where he met several people in chains, and was locked up in a room for days until he miraculously escaped and headed for the Oyo State Police Command headquarters to alert the police of the existence of the camp.

The police commissioner gave items recovered from the operators of the illegal camp as three cars, including a Volvo 744, three spades, two hoes, one digger, some spiritual soap, herbs, and plastic containers with reddish water drained from the washing of dead bodies.

Some of the rescued inmates who spoke with journalists at the Special Anti-Robbery Squad office, Dugbe, claimed they were kidnapped by unidentified men only to find themselves at the illegal camp. One of the inmates who was confirmed as a mobile policemen by his colleagues at the parade ground, said he was kidnapped two years ago while he was serving at a police station in Ogbomoso. Another captive who said he was tricked to the camp from Yola, simply identified himself as Mohammed, a graduate of the Federal University of Technology, Yola who had spent almost a year in the camp.

Yet another captive said he was an undergraduate of the University of Ibadan until he was tricked to a place where he was kidnapped by some  men and subsequently found himself at the illegal detention camp.However, the head of the camp, Mohammed Olore, told journalists that he was not operating an illegal detention centre but was only taking care of people addicted to hard drugs as well as those having mental problems. He insisted that none of the captives were kidnapped and taken to the camp as claimed by most of them.

As if it was a season of discovery of illegal detention camps, a third centre was detected at the Orogun area of Ibadan where Quoranic education was being taught. It was owned by one Alfa Ali Adebowale who has been arrested for torturing one of his students to death.

According to Oladimeji David of Elewi-Odo area of Ibadan, Adebowale killed his (Oladimeji’s) brother who was handed over to him this month. His petition read: “ My younger brother, Biliaminu Bashiru, 20 years, was handed over to Alfa Adebowale on February 1 2008 in a very healthy condition for Quoranic education. On 13 February 2008 at about 9am, I was informed that my brother had died. I was reliably told that my brother was tortured to death by Alfa Adebowale and his cohorts.”

The body of the deceased has been deposited at General Hospital, Adeoyo, Ibadan.

Meanwhile, a police source said illegal detention camps in Ibadan cannot be less than 30. He added that the police authorities were working assiduously to detect other illegal camps.

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (31) (Reply)

Jimi Agbaje And His Wife Arrive Their Polling Unit To Cast Their Vote (Photos) / As Forest Guards Come Alive In Enugu / AWKA: A Capital City In Race To Catch Up With Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.