Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,342 members, 7,964,423 topics. Date: Wednesday, 02 October 2024 at 01:31 PM

Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers - Politics (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers (30996 Views)

Kano Deports 60,000 Beggars To Four States, Other Countries / PHOTOS: Beggers In Front Of National Mosque When Buhari Came To Pray / Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (31) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Beaf: 4:20am On Aug 24, 2009
Negro_Ntns:

Mr Oil Magnate,

How else, beside redistribution of money and wealth, do you envision that you could ever grow the domestic economy?

Before you embark on your scheme of states funding "begger projects", just maybe those states need to be making a 100% of their revenue. Don't you think? Otherwise it will be the ND paying for everyones "begger projects", just the sort of scrounging Fashola is fighting against. . .
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Afaukwu: 4:20am On Aug 24, 2009
Now the above is happening in Yorubaland. Hahahah wonders shall never end.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Kobojunkie: 4:21am On Aug 24, 2009
Negro_Ntns:

Kobo,

I dont know the precise number of Almajiris deported from Lagos or their total number residing in Lagos but you can see them either as an eyesore or as a source of funding.

I see them as money generator.  Put a levy on the headcount.  Organize their population into heirarchy and give them representation.  Let us assume that they total 1million in population.  Then get a distributive number of state representation and each state is headed by a Head Almajiri and then the Heads are led by a Principal Chief of Almajirai (Plural for Almajiri).  Through these heads the government can run a rehabilitation program that is in turn funded by allocations from their represented home states.  Trust me. . .Kano, Kaduna, Jigawa, Sokoto and other stateswill gladly contribute funding to that program than have their destitutes repatriated back. 

If Lagos levies #500 per day per head of Almajiri to his/her home state then that home state is burdened with the responsibility of care for the Almajiri in transit.  Repatriation is the decision of the Almajiri's home state.  The Almajiri, if reptriated,should vent and be bitter to his/her home statefor not caring for their well being in Lagos.  

May I add that the care and wellness facilities should be privately run and staffed.  

Come on @Negro_ntns roflmao!!!
You seriously expect this to work in a country like Nigeria? Lol . . . . You just read someone state that they ought to be thrown back into the den from whence they came running out of, and you are suggesting we levy these states for the welfare of these “runaways”? lol

The Northern states are already littered with these folks and the states do not care much for those there, why would it care for those stuck in Lagos?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Nobody: 4:23am On Aug 24, 2009
Afaukwu:

Now the above is happening in Yorubaland. Hahahah wonders shall never end.

African nazi.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by nex(m): 4:59am On Aug 24, 2009
@Negro_Ntns

You think I'm patronizing, but I'm just warning. Have you engaged in a real advanced argument with 32 teeth and grey hair? Okay.

@tpia

Adolf Hitler was named by TIME Magazine as man of the year for transforming Germany from the debris of World War 1 to the number 1 position in Europe. While all the praises were showered on him, people knew how he was CLEANING UP the place by sending a lot of Germans to EUGENICS Centres.

I repeat, what Fashola did by shipping various destitute Northerners to Kaduna is very wrong and there could be extreme consequences and Fashola knows this. He's not just any lawyer off the streets, he's a SAN.

We mustn't look at the Lagos Governor's good works too much that we begin to overlook his bad works. It is his bad works that will finally make him a bad Governor.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by udezue(m): 5:07am On Aug 24, 2009
One Nigeria grin
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Nobody: 5:20am On Aug 24, 2009
nex:

@tpia

Adolf Hitler was named by TIME Magazine as man of the year for transforming Germany from the debris of World War 1 to the number 1 position in Europe. While all the praises were showered on him, people knew how he was CLEANING UP the place by sending a lot of Germans to EUGENICS Centres.

I repeat, what Fashola did by shipping various destitute Northerners to Kaduna is very wrong and there could be extreme consequences and Fashola knows this. He's not just any lawyer off the streets, he's a SAN.

We mustn't look at the Lagos Governor's good works too much that we begin to overlook his bad works. It is his bad works that will finally make him a bad Governor.

Time magazine puts whoever they want on their front cover. I dont base my opinions on Time magazine's front page and netiher does any reasonable person.

Fashola is doing nothing that hasnt been done before. He is not shipping people off to concentration camps or eugenics centers- he's simply sending them where they can have a better chance at improving their quality of life since lagos obviously hasnt done it for them.

There was a similar war on NL when he repatriated some beggars back to Oyo state. People suddenly surfaced and started crying over human rights because they said they preferred the beggars remaining on Lagos streets. Maybe their relatives were among them- I dont know. I even posted photos of a female beggar with a one year old baby. How did she get that baby while begging and is it a good thing the child is being raised on the street as a beggar? Nobody addressed that question or stated what they did to rectify the begging problem in lagos- giving money has only increased the number of beggars withuot actually improving their overall situation.

If you find the time to check that thread, I posted examples from the US and maybe elsewhere, where similar policies were implemented.

I dont see why its better to be a beggar living in a lagos gutter, than go back to your state of origin and improve your life. If you can see a rationale behind this, then kindly explain.

If you dont want to go back to your state of origin because your enemies who turned you into a beggar are there and still after your life, then why not either pull yourself up by the bootstraps or move to another state. Is Fashola the one who offended your enemies from the village and sent them after you?

the Lagos State government had written all the states concerned, adding that their eviction was in their own interest, considering the hazards they faced in Lagos.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Nchara: 5:37am On Aug 24, 2009
This looks legally wrong IMHO, as long as we are still in one country. However,

beyond condemning fashola

what was he to do to eliminate beggars and begging in lagos?

lagos from 1970 has periodically deported beggars from maimed /disabled civil war veterans to the deportations before festac in 1977 to raji rasaki's deportations

i am more interested here in the course of action to take

enugu in the 80s periodically arrested and harrassed them till they deported themselves

anambra state tried at one point to give them skills through a rehabilitation program

but they ran into a problem as most were non indigenes of the state
most could niether speak igbo or english , they were illiterate couldnt read and write

teaching them any meaningful skill was difficult

the few they managed to teach ended up again in the streets a few months later as it was more lucrative to beg

uk london in particular has a beggars/begging problem and foreign nationals caught begging are deported , locals caught begging are arrested by police

let all commentators here assume they are fashola and
1. they needed to rid lagos of beggars/begging
2. most of these were non indigenes of the state

do you provide social welfare for them knowing they are non indigenes and this is a state program not federal

the solution proferred is more important rather than blanket criticism

if we dont offer this third way then the critism is invalid

this does not make fashola right but there must be a third way

between this deportation and doing nothing

which seem sto be what most are supporting here

ideas please !!!
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Nobody: 5:45am On Aug 24, 2009
^^ didnt I just read this on NVS?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by NegroNtns(m): 5:45am On Aug 24, 2009
Come on @Negro_ntns roflmao!!!
You seriously expect this to work in a country like Nigeria? Lol . . . . You just read someone state that they ought to be thrown back into the den from whence they came running out of, and you are suggesting we levy these states for the welfare of these “runaways”? lol

The Northern states are already littered with these folks and the states do not care much for those there, why would it care for those stuck in Lagos?

Great point!

We are afraid of the unknowns and are not bold enough to take steps in coming up with genuine solutions for problems that are specific to our homeland.  This is why I asked if you would love to go on an adventure trip with me.  Our people are scared of doing things that are outside of oyibo man textbooks.  Our nation is faced with unique situations that are not taught in western education and so we go through years of studying and are deprived the opportunity to learn and earn skills primary to our own needs.  We keep applying oyibo man theories to black man palava. . .we have been unsuccessful because those theories result in success when applied to oyibo man problem.

Let me respond to your comments.  I will outline the problem, define the baseline and recommend an instructive model for the problem.

Let us start with the term "Almajiri" itself.  What does it mean?  It is coined from an arabic word " Al' Majirun".  Meaning one in search of self-actualization.  Translated loosely, it will equate to a "Hermit".  One who is seeking to find and align himself with the universal truth. By doing so the individual acquires cosmic secrets and is thus equipped to contribute selflessly and at utmost capability to humanity and social progress. This search for self knowledge require the individual to depart and detach from worldly belongings and live an ascetic lifestyle, free from owning any posessions but the basic necessities for survival. The individual must then depend on the benevolent contributions of the society to live and survive. That contribution must come in form of alms (which is speculative) or a organized welfare care (which is predictive).  Because it is speculative, alms carry a risk. Under pressure of surviving, an Almajiri becomes an agent for nefarious schemes.  This was the case where at various times, Almajiris, ignorant of the intent, were recruited by evil minded persons who armed them with weapons and propaganda and launched them against political opponents.  This would not be the case if they were organized under a rehabilitative care funded by government and run as private outlets.  Thus the Almajiris have no ties of allegiance. . .they own nothing and are not owned by anyone; they are then free to concentrate on their self actualization studies.  This social problem  was properly outlined in Islam.  To resolve it, Islam designates it under Sharia Law.

The Northern staes claim they practice Sharia Law.  To the extent that thieves have their limbs cut off and adulterers are stoned to death then these states must equally attend to the issue of Almajiri as directed by Sharia.  Neglecting to do so is hypocritical and disobedient to Allah.  Moreso, one of the five pillars of Islam mandates 5% of profit earnings towards charity.  What charity is more morally appropriate than the feeding and clothing of those in search of the truth?  Someone need to stand up to the North and confront them with this religious obligation.  It is not a choice for them. . . it is what Allah ordained upon them as Muslims.  To do otherwise is a sin.  Fashola has stood up to them but just simply deporting Almajiris does not resolve the problem.  Fashola's term will end one day and the next Governor may not followup and enforce the limitations and the problem will return.  So I propose a rehabilitative option funded by Sharia states. . .politically and religiously, this is their obligation.

Accountability and Responsibility of the problem must be passed to the Northern states.  If its too burdensome for them to fund the program, then it should not be too burdensome for the Almajiris to continue to depend on speculative alms on the streets of Northern states.  Afterall, they were first destitutes up there before they became Almajiri on Lagos streets.  The same social forces that forced them into Almajiri can re-absorb them into rehabilitation.  This is why I loved Davidylan's response.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Nobody: 5:46am On Aug 24, 2009
Fashola's term will end one day and the next Governor may not followup and enforce the limitations and the problem will return.

that's the major problem.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Nchara: 5:48am On Aug 24, 2009
Fashola's term will end one day and the next Governor may not followup and enforce the limitations and the problem will return.

tpia.:

that's the major problem.

So then Fashola's strategy is not sustainable and at best cosmetic. Did he think this through properly?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Nobody: 5:55am On Aug 24, 2009
Nchara:

So then Fashola's strategy is not sustainable and at best cosmetic. Did he think this through properly?

where did you read that in either of the posts?

He has a task which is to clean up Lagos and thats what he's doing.

If you have better ideas then lets hear them.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by NegroNtns(m): 6:02am On Aug 24, 2009

Fashola is responding and treating it as an eyesore. The intuitive way to deal with an eyesore is to remove it from view. If he would take time to study the economics of it he can derive some arrangements that will generate self-sustainable revenue for the state.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Nobody: 6:08am On Aug 24, 2009
Negro_Ntns:

Fashola is responding and treating it as an eyesore. The intuitive way to deal with an eyesore is to remove it from view. If he would take time to study the economics of it he can derive some arrangements that will generate self-sustainable revenue for the state.

no, NIGERIANS are treating it as an eyesore.

The way to deal with an eyesore is to treat it, which is what he's doing. If removing it from view is part of the therapy, then I see no reason why he should be castigated for doing the same thing other countries do with their own eyesores.

How many threads do you see on Nairaland showing homeless people and beggars in other countries besides Lagos Nigeria? The few that are, immediately get shot down by nairaland goats and miscreants.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Nobody: 6:08am On Aug 24, 2009
Good reasoning without proper comprehension to enable a valid application is usually a bias to possibility and credibility. I mean, what the Bleep difference would it make deporting common 160 beggars out of Lagos?? Tell me.

Need do i say that the action by Fashola is a positive intension however it should be done with utmost care and free of any sort of hate or tribalism, let the Northern State government look into this with appropriate measures taking to rehabilitate their people from escruciating suffering in and from the South-west and the West in general. Ofcourse this action by Fashola calls for their attention.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Nobody: 6:19am On Aug 24, 2009
Nigerians are smelly tribalists, cowards and irritating hypocrites!

1. What could be the difference between Fashola's move, ND/MEND's agitation and aggression, Sharia north/Kano and Biafran seccessionists?

2. Are we really one or just "one" when it suits us?

3. Could it be that Eziachi and co have been making sense all these while?

Only honest people might attempt to answer these questions objectively, but then again; we are talking about nigerians here and I dont expect any to come forward with anything good.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Nobody: 6:22am On Aug 24, 2009
nuzo:

Nigerians are smelly tribalists, cowards and irritating hypocrites!

1. What could be the difference between Fashola's move, ND/MEND's agitation and aggression, Sharia north/Kano and Biafran seccessionists?

2. Are we really one or just "one" when it suits us?

3. Could it be that Eziachi and co have been making sense all these while?

Only honest people might attempt to answer these questions objectively, but then again; we are talking about nigerians here and I dont expect any to come forward with anything good.

it wouldnt be you if you posted a different response.

You're quite predictable, really.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by NegroNtns(m): 6:32am On Aug 24, 2009
no, NIGERIANS are treating it as an eyesore.

The way to deal with an eyesore is to treat it, which is what he's doing. If removing it from view is part of the therapy, then I see no reason why he should be castigated for doing the same thing other countries do with their own eyesores.

How many threads do you see on Nairaland showing homeless people and beggars in other countries besides Lagos Nigeria? The few that are, immediately get shot down by nairaland goats and miscreants.

No doubt! Certain potentials are wasted nonetheless. An opportunity for growth and social experimentation was thrown down the drain. To use a popular phrase. . . "don't throw the baby down the drain with the bath water." Nobody disputes that the bath water need to go down the drain. . .but do we need the baby? grin
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Nobody: 6:33am On Aug 24, 2009
tpia.:

it wouldnt be you if you posted a different response.

You're quite predictable, really.

Yeah, as predictable as you and the rest of nigeria.
I predicted that I wont get any progressive answer from any nigerian knowing that wickedness, tribalism and hypocrisy nourishes their lives.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Nobody: 6:34am On Aug 24, 2009
nuzo:

Yeah, as predictable as you and the rest of nigeria.
I predicted that I wont get any progressive answer from any nigerian knowing that wickedness, tribalism and hypocrisy nourishes their lives.

knock yourself out.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by THEAMAKA(f): 6:35am On Aug 24, 2009
nuzo are you a nigerian or a man living in self denial?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by otokx(m): 6:36am On Aug 24, 2009
Is it only 160 that were deported? what about the rest?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Nobody: 6:41am On Aug 24, 2009
THE AMAKA:

nuzo are you a nigerian or a man living in self denial?

How do you mean, cos the reverse seems to be the case.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by dayokanu(m): 6:59am On Aug 24, 2009
The reason North holds Nigeria hostage is because the southwest is always ready to deal with them and sell out on all the progressive policies that would have been instituted in Nigeria

You mean the way the SW sold out when Azikwe became a boy boy to Balewa?
Or the way Alex Ekwueme became a boy boy to Shagari?
Or the way Sylvester Ugo became a boy boy to Bashir Tofa
Or the way Chuba Okadigbo became a boy boy behind Mohamdu Buhari?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by dayokanu(m): 7:01am On Aug 24, 2009
and all Yorubas do is ritual killing?
they don't have spare part dealers

Vincent Otokoto(The greatest ritual killer), Clifford Orji(Greatest Cannibal), Nwude, Anajembas(Greatest fraudsters) are notable Yoruba people
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by igboboy1(m): 7:25am On Aug 24, 2009
Ashamed at some comments of my fellow Nigerians, must everything be tribalized?

How can you deport citizens of a country? Its like deporting someone from newyork back to chicago cos he is from chicago, doesnt make sense!!

Been a fan of Fashola till now, I believe this kabiallah guys are a nuisance but instead of deporting them why dont pass a law that makes such activities illegal,

Nigeria na wa
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by redsun(m): 7:29am On Aug 24, 2009
A country without local,state or central data base is as good as a desert,nigeria has none and how to tell an average is a matter of guess,talkless of the states or local government they come from.With all the IT experts in nigeria,having a central data base is still an unimaginable dream,shamble.

They are nigerian destitutes created by the inglorious system and Fashola being a man with visions relatively should know better not to discard them just like that,that is if he still believe in so-called one nigeri,because the action is more of what one country does to another's illegal immigrants,ie,gaddaffi and the 220 nigerians.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by NegroNtns(m): 7:57am On Aug 24, 2009
How can you deport citizens of a country? Its like deporting someone from newyork back to chicago cos he is from chicago, doesnt make sense!!

I have two issues with this comment and I disagree with the way you see the nation or the analogy you bring to illustrate it.

First, We are not citizens of a country.

We are citizens of diverse nations reluctantly tied together in an unwanted and despised unification but as it turned out we are inadvertently balanced out at the center by the equilibrium force of our respective strengths and challenges. That balance has always been marginal.

Second, oyibo man theory succeeds in oyibo man land. Black man must devise and apply theories that will succeed in his homeland.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by dayokanu(m): 8:05am On Aug 24, 2009
Is it asking for too much for those beggers to go and beg in their state of Origin where their people would be more compassionate on them?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by RibaduFan(m): 8:15am On Aug 24, 2009
For your information

Destitutes of Yioruba extration were the first to thrown out of Lagos. Some were sent back early late last year.

You cannot legally deport an individual from any state in his/her country. But am sure if the existence of an individual is proven, beyond all reasonable doubt, to be inimical to that of others, such an individual can be declared persona nongranta
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by NINETOFIVE(m): 8:35am On Aug 24, 2009
I doubt this will lead to ethnic clashes
Northerners are proud people when they feel attacked and are likely to respond by acting to ensure these people have catered for so they (northerners) are not embarassed like this in future.

If it happened in the East, it might have been trouble but it happened in the West.

What a crass misrepresentation of fact or an intention to delude oneself, is either this kind of mind set is inspired by borderline naiveness, some element of carelessness or a desire to live in complete denial, is not rocket science that Nigeria has gotten to the point of every man to his tent, if the fact that this issue happened in the Western region is the guarantee you have for the North not to reciprocate, then I fail to see anything smart about this type of thought process, in fact this whole idea in its totality is very delusional to me, and this is putting it mildly.

I see a trend emerging where Fashola becomes another Awolowo, that would be seen as a demigod in the western region and would be loathed in the North, you can't really undo things like this, I've always known the guy has some despotic tendencies. Deporting people from other region out of your region no matter their social status does not show the spirit of one Nigeria, going by the fact that western Nigeria sings one Nigeria as a song, believe me the trickle down effect of this would be cumbersome, you can not continue to pie and convince people is raining.

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (31) (Reply)

Five Executive Orders Issued By The Buhari Administration / Adamu, Orji Uzor Kalu Emerge Senate Leader, Chief Whip / Philip Shaibu Takes Over Political Leadership Of Edo North From Adams Oshiomhole

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.