Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,187,421 members, 7,932,359 topics. Date: Tuesday, 27 August 2024 at 04:30 AM

Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers - Politics (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers (30857 Views)

Kano Deports 60,000 Beggars To Four States, Other Countries / PHOTOS: Beggers In Front Of National Mosque When Buhari Came To Pray / Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (31) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by pcicero(m): 8:37pm On Aug 24, 2009
@nex
No, not Lagos again. We already have enough on our hands to contend with. I would suggest Edo state for a change. grin
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sjeezy8: 8:37pm On Aug 24, 2009
nex:

I can even understand deportation back to their homes to a limited extent. What worries me is exiling them to a state that is not their own.

ok thats what fashola did wrong
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sjeezy8: 8:38pm On Aug 24, 2009
igbo boy:

@pcicero

Even if na Enugu the same respect for humanity and Nigerians for that matters should apply,

Lagos is Nigeria's New York, every ethnicity is found there, And lets face it everybody both Hausa's have contributed to make the state what it is today, so be rational, deportation of one's citizen breeds hatred

HE SENT YORUBA PACKING TOO
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by pcicero(m): 8:39pm On Aug 24, 2009
nex:

I can even understand deportation back to their homes to a limited extent. What worries me is exiling them to a state that is not their own.
But they found their way to Lagos. Kaduna shouldn't be far from their respective hometowns
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sosisi(f): 8:41pm On Aug 24, 2009
sjeezy8:

HE SENT YORUBA PACKING TOO

and I still say he has no such rights.
Nigeria is a lawless place so he could whatever he liked.Even he ordered that these people be shot at the outskirts of Lagos,nothing would probably happen to him.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Hauwa1: 8:45pm On Aug 24, 2009
nigeria is a place where pple dont know how to take care of the less fortunate. how many times have you guys here been to a home for the less privilege and donate something? just say it you all tired of giving your coins to them and happy that Mr. F is packing them off to Kad.

learn to give back to your community, go serve soups at the nearest group home (hopefully there are some in nig). learn to give back, learn to care for the poor and poverty stricken.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Hauwa1: 8:46pm On Aug 24, 2009
@ Beaf,

i love that Bird! kiss kiss

Semper Fi
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Kobojunkie: 8:47pm On Aug 24, 2009
pcicero:

But they found their way to Lagos. Kaduna shouldn't be far from their respective hometowns

Why do I get this notion that this is just some joke to you?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by udezue(m): 8:48pm On Aug 24, 2009
LOL One Nigeria hypocrisy.  When it suits them they'll scream ONE NAIJA and when it doesn't they'll be mute. I thought Yoruba one Nigerians should show compassion for their fellow Nigerians getting deported in their own dear country. LOL This is pure madness. Lets be real aint no One NIgeria and this is just a lil sign of the nation is slowly disintegrating. Lagos govt is making it now clear that no matter how long you've been n Lagos if u aint of Yoruba ancestry and you begging you will be deported to a non Yoruba area quick. lol.

Our Governors in the East should do the same thing jare.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sjeezy8: 8:48pm On Aug 24, 2009
$osisi:

and I still say he has no such rights.
Nigeria is a lawless place so he could whatever he liked.Even he ordered that these people be shot at the outskirts of Lagos,nothing would probably happen to him.

I highly doubt he ordered people to be shot (if so provide a fact or an article)
If he did the PDP would have jumped all over it
Mind you Lagos state is not run by the PDP and is the national government's most rebellious state.
Your saying fashola can does whatever he like because its Naija, as if he's part of the PDP and hes not.
Dont know if you keep up with Nigerian politics but the Fed government is NO friend of Lagos state.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sjeezy8: 8:50pm On Aug 24, 2009
udezue:

LOL One Nigeria hypocrisy. When it suits them they'll scream ONE NAIJA and when it doesn't they'll be mute. I thought Yoruba one Nigerians should show compassion for their fellow Nigerians getting deported in their own dear country. LOL This is pure madness. Lets be real aint no One NIgeria and this is just a lil sign of the nation is slowly disintegrating. Lagos govt is making it now clear that no matter how long you've been n Lagos if u aint of Yoruba ancestry and you begging you will be deported to a non Yoruba area quick. lol.

Our Governors in the East should do the same thing jare.

Even though you are very stupid at times, I agree with you. If there is anyone not from a particular state in the east has come to BEG send them packing.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by udezue(m): 8:54pm On Aug 24, 2009
Sgeezy8,

I don't need you to let me know you agree with anything I say. You are a worthless waste of sperm so please fall back BIIITTCH.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sjeezy8: 8:55pm On Aug 24, 2009
udezue:

Sgeezy8,

I don't need you to let me know you agree with anything I say. You are a worthless waste of sperm so please fall back BIIITTCH.

LOL you are fuckin gay in texas shut your bitch ass up
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by udezue(m): 9:02pm On Aug 24, 2009
Only a bonafide gay like yourself can talk such rubbish. You so wish I am like you bro. U know want keep am for DL anymore?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sjeezy8: 9:04pm On Aug 24, 2009
unless your mothers a man. how can i be on the dl?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by pcicero(m): 9:06pm On Aug 24, 2009
@kobojunkie
I am not trivializing the issue but you might not know the various efforts of Lagos State Govt to rid the streets of these people. It has become a menace. Some of them who are able bodied can't fancy being employed and productive in whatever capacity. So why dissipate so much energy on this issue?
The other time i read about KAI-Kick Against Indiscpline officers manhandling street traders and taking them to Kirikiri , i felt it was appalling but the state govt stood its ground. A certain commisioner pointed that street trading has been banned and remains an offence punishable by law. That is for people who are even involved in certain economic activities.
Knowing Fashola, i doubt if he would have done it without prior warning. You can confirm that much from those resident in Lagos
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by udezue(m): 9:08pm On Aug 24, 2009
Sgeezy8,
Did u catch your father sucking my diick?
So I guess u are now out of the closet. Good job gurl. grin
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by pcicero(m): 9:11pm On Aug 24, 2009
@ Sgeezy8 and Udezue
I bet you don't want to continue doing this.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by tarano: 9:11pm On Aug 24, 2009
Lagos state has no done anything wrong by assisting identified and partially rehabed street beggers to get to their families and home towns.
Lagos has only relocated 160 Northern beggers.
Before jumping into conclussion
Do we know the number of street beggers that are undergoing rehab at various rehab centers in the state?
Do we know the number of street beggers that are facing possibility of Jail time or Psychiatric Hospitals for going against the law in Lagos state as it relates to street begging?
Do we know the number of former street beggers that have now been trained and can independently fend for themselves?
Do you know the number of former kid street beggers that are in foster homes or schools in Lagos?

We do not know all these. so please don't be quick to judge.
relocating 160 former beggers or recalcitrant beggers to location close to there original homes may not be bad,
If for the lack of numbers lagos has rehab and trained on average 5000 every year. or have jailed 200 repeat offenders, or have
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Kobojunkie: 9:12pm On Aug 24, 2009
pcicero:

@kobojunkie
I am not trivializing the issue but you might not know the various efforts of Lagos State Govt to rid the streets of these people. It has become a menace. Some of them who are able bodied can't fancy being employed and productive in whatever capacity. So why dissipate so much energy on this issue?

The problem did not start 2 years ago. It has been in existence for decades now. I am quite up to date on what the present and past governments have tried so tried to rectify the situation, and I do understand that some of, not a majority of these people are actually able bodied persons. But that still is no reason for us to start on this path at all, in my opinion.

pcicero:

The other time i read about KAI-Kick Against Indiscpline officers manhandling street traders and taking them to Kirikiri , i felt it was appalling but the state govt stood its ground. A certain commisioner pointed that street trading has been banned and remains an offence punishable by law. That is for people who are even involved in certain economic activities.

Knowing Fashola, i doubt if he would have done it without prior warning. You can confirm that much from those resident in Lagos

Prior warning does not change a beggars life. Banning begging is one thing. Deporting Beggars who break the law is another thing. What part of this do you not seem to understand? If there is a ban on begging, and people are caught begging, then the law should kick in to punish offenders. Since when did punishment for crime now include deportation?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Tsiya(m): 9:21pm On Aug 24, 2009
Deporting beggers to Kaduna is unjust to Kaduna State. If the Gov really want to get rid of Professional Beggers from Lagos it shouldn't just behave like over-jealous mother in-Law trying to take over the house of her son. A state is suppose to be reasonable. They should have identified the States origin of each of the beggers they arrested and ship them to state Secretriats not smuggle them in the Night like you are dumping refuse. These ppl are human being for God Sake. Most of them are cripple. They deserve more compassion. Im dissappointed with his action
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Hauwa1: 9:26pm On Aug 24, 2009
Tsiya, saanu. true talk, i'm sure they have adopted Lagos as home.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Tsiya(m): 9:32pm On Aug 24, 2009
Sannu Hauwa. There is nothing like adopting Lagos as home when you dont have a place to sleep. I doubt if these ppl have homes in Lagos. However, wether Lagos is their home or not they are Nigerians. They are also human. Governments should be rational.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by nex(m): 9:41pm On Aug 24, 2009
@sjeezy8

You're beginning to sound like only PDP Governors can do wrong. We shouldn't condone evil just because of our choice of Political Parties.

@pcicero

packing people 13 in a room and feeding them twice a day is not rehabilitation.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by tarano: 9:55pm On Aug 24, 2009
Seriously this is not an easy issue we have to balance view between proponents of Lagos Urban Renewal and advocates for the protection of the rights of street beggers.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sjeezy8: 9:59pm On Aug 24, 2009
udezue:

Sgeezy8,
Did u catch your father sucking my diick?
So I guess u are now out of the closet. Good job gurl. grin

ok, back to topic kid

nex:

@sjeezy8
You're beginning to sound like only PDP Governors can do wrong. We shouldn't condone evil just because of our choice of Political Parties.

I understand other parties do wrong, but im sayin if  Fashola ordered the shooting of people as OSIS said The PDP would be the first to call him out and put him in jail.

Tsiya:

Sannu Hauwa. There is nothing like adopting Lagos as home when you dont have a place to sleep. I doubt if these ppl have homes in Lagos. However, wether Lagos is their home or not they are Nigerians. They are also human. Governments should be rational.

Alot are not nigerians but from Niger republic and yes the FEDERAL Government should assist Nigeria as a whole by protecting its borders. But for those who are already there the FEDERAL Government should actually develop more places other than major cities.  Fashola can only do for his own state. If other Governors were like Fashola people would stay in there own states. To often people come to LAGOS.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by igboboy1(m): 10:00pm On Aug 24, 2009
@sjeezy8

can u ever be serious? Its not about ethnicity. Ok he sent some yorubas home too but my point remains, "you cannot deport a Nigerian citizen from anywhere in Nigeria" Until lagos is a COuntry then that action becomes valid
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Beaf: 10:04pm On Aug 24, 2009
A national conference is urgently needed.
Unfortunately, the only thing binding Nigeria is revenue handouts from the landlord of a piece of land named Nigeria.

This thread has exposed what we all know, that we do not believe in, trust or love each other. That some of us regard Northern beggars as little less than animals (I don't think it ends with beggars alone). It has also revealed that Lagosians (symtomatic of the wider country), maintain a hierachy of allegiances:
[list]
[li]first to their ethnic group[/li]
[li]second to their state[/li]
[li]third to states with similar ethnic demographics to theirs[/li]
[li]little or nothing to the Northern states[/li]
[li]little or nothing to the nation[/li]
[/list]

Fashola (SAN) has been so passionately struck by the instinctive allegiances, that his legal mind was totally shut out of a monstrous decision.

Why do we pretend that we can continue like this? Why do we pretend that the structure of our "nation" is workable? Why not just sit down like mature people and lay down what will work and what will not; each by their regional circumstances, culture, ethnicity and resources?

This case shows more than anything that we are very foolishly applying bandages and rickety patches to a project that was grounded at birth; mistaking its drunken and suicidal steps to unescapable perdition as signs of life.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sjeezy8: 10:04pm On Aug 24, 2009
igbo boy:

@sjeezy8

can u ever be serious? Its not about ethnicity. Ok he sent some yorubas home too but my point remains, "you cannot deport a Nigerian citizen from anywhere in Nigeria" Until lagos is a COuntry then that action becomes valid

my point in saying he sent home yorubas was that its not about tribes it about TAX PAYING LAGOSIANS
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Tsiya(m): 10:07pm On Aug 24, 2009
sjeezy8:

ok,  back to topic kid

I understand other parties do wrong, but im sayin if  Fashola ordered the shooting of people as OSIS said The PDP would be the first to call him out and put him in jail.

Alot are not nigerians but from Niger republic and yes the FEDERAL Government should assist Nigeria as a whole by protecting its borders. [/b]But for those who are already there the FEDERAL Government should actually develop more places other than major cities.  Fashola can only do for his [b]own state. If other Governors were like Fashola people would stay in there own states. To often people come to LAGOS.

First of all there is nothing like protecting our borders against Nigeriens. As ECOWAS states we can move freely within Ecowas communities without the need of passport. Asking ppl to stay in their own states is like killing mankind. Just because we have political boarders those not mean that people should not move. Human beings hav bn over centuries and ppl should be allowed to move to whereever they want. And once you agree to become a country, then there should be no restriction as to where ppl should move and who should move from one state to another.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sjeezy8: 10:07pm On Aug 24, 2009
Beaf:

A national conference is urgently needed.
Unfortunately, the only thing binding Nigeria is revenue handouts from the landlord of a piece of land named Nigeria.

This thread has exposed what we all know, that we do not believe in, trust or love each other. That some of us regard Northern beggars as little less than animals (I don't think it ends with beggars alone). It has also revealed that Lagosians (symtomatic of the wider country), maintain a hierachy of allegiances:
[list]
[li]first to their ethnic group[/li]
[li]second to their state[/li]
[li]third to states with similar ethnic demographics to theirs[/li]
[li]little or nothing to the Northern states[/li]
[li]little or nothing to the nation[/li]
[/list]

Fashola (SAN) has been so passionately struck by the instinctive allegiances, that his legal mind was totally shut out of a monstrous decision.

Why do we pretend that we can continue like this? Why do we pretend that the structure of our "nation" is workable? Why not just sit down like mature people and lay down what will work and what will not; each by their regional circumstances, culture, ethnicity and resources?

This case shows more than anything that we are very foolishly applying bandages and rickety patches to a project that was grounded at birth; mistaking its drunken and suicidal steps to unescapable perdition as signs of life.

WHY ARE USING TRIBE DID YOU SEE LAGOSIAN YORUBA PROTEST WHEN THEY SENT OYO PEOPLE PACKING? NO

If anything i can agree with is the fact lag[b][/b]osian care about Lagos state and that is the same with every state in Nigeria.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sjeezy8: 10:10pm On Aug 24, 2009
Tsiya:

First of all there is nothing like protecting our borders against Nigeriens. As ECOWAS states we can move freely within Ecowas communities without the need of passport. Asking ppl to stay in their own states is like killing mankind. Just because we have political boarders those not mean that people should not move. Human beings hav bn over centuries and ppl should be allowed to move to whereever they want. And once you agree to become a country, then there should be no restriction as to where ppl should move and who should move from one state to another.

lol you are fooling yourself lol omg and that is why Nigeria poverty rate is increasing. Look at America they protect their by all means.

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (31) (Reply)

AWKA: A Capital City In Race To Catch Up With Others / Intels: NPA Explains Sack Of Atiku’s Company / Why I Donated Clay Pots, White Cloth To Graveyards – Senator Hanga

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.