Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,815 members, 7,893,167 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 July 2024 at 05:41 AM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (266) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (825337 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (263) (264) (265) (266) (267) (268) (269) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by topkin(m): 4:26pm On Dec 22, 2007
KINDLY ADVISE ME PLEASE:[/size][size=8pt]

I have some good cash now which I would like to divert into the stock market hopefully next week and I'm hoping to use the cash by Feb/March next year. I don't just want the cash to lie there, so I want to make some returns on it, at least, before I really need it. I'm hoping to make @ the least 50% gain on the investment.

Pls, kindly advise me on the stocks i can buy now so i can make some good returns by Feb/March next year. Especially penny stocks/companies that are closing their books by this month or next. Thanks
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Princesege(m): 4:39pm On Dec 22, 2007
enurayce:

Please i need response from u all ASAP.Whats the current lending rate in Nigeria and whats the total amount that i'll pay back for borrowing 1m for either 6months or i year.waiting for all your response.
thanks
@enurayce
Are you considering taking loan in Nigeria for the purpose of  stock trading?
Please be advised to have all your fundamentals checked properly before you venture into such a thing. If you look at the interests, most of your profit must have been eroded if at all. Look at my analysis:

Bank Interest=                  23% PA
Broker(Buy/Sell) =             6% or 5.5% on cost
COT =                                1% if I am coreect.
Total =           correct         30%

From the above calculations, your growth must be above 31% before you can make any profit.
Although you might be lucky to grow your portfolio by more than 50% but you need to do your research very well.
Dont forget, if the market moves against you, you must still pay back the loan to the bank within the agreed time. If that time is exceeded, bank can sell all your stocks to recover their loan at any current price, your loss notwithstanding.
I am not trying to be pessimistic but  I am just giving advice before you go into it. Here in the UK, things work differently. You can get a loan for 6-9% depending on your credit rating. So I am looking at it from UK point of view. Nigeria situation is different.

If you can secure a loan for 10% interest pa, I will say go ahead but to be honest Nigerian loans are too expensive.
UK and US are OK.

All the best for the future.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Princesege(m): 4:45pm On Dec 22, 2007
Deoba:

I have Eurocomm securities as my broker.The company is efficient. The company takes order from on-line.I have been with this company since 5 years ago and i don't regret having Eurocomm as my brocker.I don't live in the country but i  buy and sell as if, i am living in Nigeria.I am happy with their services
@ DDebar|_Can you check or monitor your portfolio online. Is it real time or a day after?
What is your broker's website? How do you  fund your stock account, online transfer or cheque?
How many days or hours does it take your broker to respond?
Kindly answer those questions please.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by invisible2(m): 4:51pm On Dec 22, 2007
bigjay01:

this is on the assumption that the price of Oceanic will remain static whilst other prices appreciate? Sounds like wishful thinking or pipe dream at best. Remember the quote "I have never met anyone who could predict the future trend of the market - except liars!!! Bernard Baruch"

@ Bigjay01, that quote though a nice one, but still does not stop us from making educated calculations that will help in take advantage of short term market fluctuations.
It does not mean you can predict the market.

Take another scenario; do you know you can make money in an up market as well as in a down market? Those that sold Diamond bank shares at N19 plus three months ago bought it back two months ago at N17. Making a 2 naira profit even in the middle of a bear run?

You may not assume a stock price will be stagnant for six months (that will be abnormal) but when such abnormalities do happen, you can take advantage of it. Remember, you are not going to wait for only the stock, but keep your gaze at other companies, if the abnormal happens like it did in the case of Oceanic, (even fell to N26 at a point). You pounce.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by bigjay01(m): 5:17pm On Dec 22, 2007
invisible!:

if the abnormal happens like it did in the case of Oceanic

that is exactly my point, the whole premise of your argument hinges on the big "IF". Did you ever look at the other side of the coin - which is at the crux of the Benard Baruch quote.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Pennywise(m): 5:33pm On Dec 22, 2007
@Princesege

Are you considering taking loan in Nigeria for the purpose of stock trading?
Please be advised to have all your fundamentals checked properly before you venture into such a thing. If you look at the interests, most of your profit must have been eroded if at all. Look at my analysis:

Bank Interest= 23% PA
Broker(Buy/Sell) = 6% or 5.5% on cost
COT = 1% if I am coreect.
Total = correct 30%

From the above calculations, your growth must be above 31% before you can make any profit.
Although you might be lucky to grow your portfolio by more than 50% but you need to do your research very well.
Dont forget, if the market moves against you, you must still pay back the loan to the bank within the agreed time. If that time is exceeded, bank can sell all your stocks to recover their loan at any current price, your loss notwithstanding.
I am not trying to be pessimistic but I am just giving advice before you go into it. Here in the UK, things work differently. You can get a loan for 6-9% depending on your credit rating. So I am looking at it from UK point of view. Nigeria situation is different.

All the best for the future.

Am not a financial expert (not by a long shot) but I do know how to make money grin grin.If you have plans for a 3-6 month activity on the floor that means you will be reducing interest payable by half to a quarter ie 11.5-6% which translates to 18% or 13% in cost of funds as the case may be. This appears absolutely achievable judging by recent events (1-3yrs). Many POs turn up 100% in 1 yr if you chose to go that way. For the margin to be worth while, you need to have very good volume and a strong heart. If things don't turn out well, volume could prove lethal.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by samstone4(m): 5:36pm On Dec 22, 2007
@BigJay01

Your account officer sounds very arrogant.

What's the deal with these bankers and stockbrokers in Nigeria?

You were right to specify the purchase price. You should also specify the valid period for your orders.

You are under no obligation to accept any partial purchase if they have failed to tell you when you asked if they have bought any!

It is always a good idea to have more than one broker, although it may require closer attention to your accounts to avoid confusion.

It may be helpful to buy different companies with the separate brokers.

Happy hunting.

Samstone4 cool cool cool
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Princesege(m): 5:52pm On Dec 22, 2007
Pennywise:

@Princesege

Am not a financial expert (not by a long short) but I do know how to make money grin grin.If you have plans for a 3-6 month activity on the floor that means you will be reducing interest payable by half to a quarter ie 11.5-6% which translates to 18% or 13% in cost of funds as the case may be. This appears absolutely achievable judging by recent events (1-3yrs). Many POs turn up 100% in 1 yr if you chose to go that way. For the margin to be worth while, you need to have very good volume and a strong heart. If things don't turn out well, volume could prove lethal.

@Pennywise
What happened to all our investments in your defunct MLM  scheme?  I hope you have paid back all your depositors. Hey I am only joking.

Could you tell me how you can make profit from PO within 3-6months considering the Nigerian situation at the moment.
From my experience, you will be lucky if share cert is ready withing 4 months of purchase from IPPOAlso it takes another  2 months to do the verification with CSCS and get it registered. May be another 2 months to trade and get your money if you have a good broker. It is not a straight forward process.
Maybe you have a better approach please share your ideas.

I reckon it will take about 8 months to be able to trade your stock from PO,depending on the market at at that time, you may sell or hold. However, if you do your research very well nothing is impossible.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by enurayce: 6:13pm On Dec 22, 2007
pls i still want to know how much i will pay back(principal + interest) if i take a 1m loan in nigeria

Princesege asnd pennywise thaks,more views welcomed
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by invisible2(m): 6:29pm On Dec 22, 2007
If you take a million naira loan for a full year, the interest payments will be a N225,000 which could be split into twelve equal installments payable monthly. At the expiration of the loan, you will have to retire the principal.
Note that I was doing this calculation with a 22.5 % margin.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Princesege(m): 6:34pm On Dec 22, 2007
enurayce:

please i still want to know how much i will pay back(principal + interest)  if i take a 1m loan in nNigeria|_
Princesege asnd pennywise thaks,more views welcomed

Average of 1.23M-1.4M pa. If you hold the loan for more than a year, it will go up for sure.

This is not the actual figure. It varies from bank to bank. You may call one of these banks for a quote
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by barge(m): 6:45pm On Dec 22, 2007
invisible!:

Good as this result will seem, large as this dividend will seem, I think it is still paltry compared to Oceanic's current stock price of plus N30.

What I am trying to show here is that leaving your investments for the long term is less rewarding than trading on the stocks. I remember selling my oceanic holdings at N28 around may-june this year and using the money for some fantastic trades, against my brokers advice, he seems to think oceanic is a forever good stock  cheesy

I bought some other stocks which have given me a 50% average appreciation, had I been waiting on oceanic, what I will get since then will be N1.02 for a full year?

Guys, comment on this.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by barge(m): 6:54pm On Dec 22, 2007
invisible!:

Good as this result will seem, large as this dividend will seem, I think it is still paltry compared to Oceanic's current stock price of plus N30.

What I am trying to show here is that leaving your investments for the long term is less rewarding than trading on the stocks. I remember selling my oceanic holdings at N28 around may-june this year and using the money for some fantastic trades, against my brokers advice, he seems to think oceanic is a forever good stock  cheesy

I bought some other stocks which have given me a 50% average appreciation, had I been waiting on oceanic, what I will get since then will be N1.02 for a full year?

Guys, comment on this.

made precisely the same move in october and its been a good decision ,though i don't mind paying a limited premium for oceanic for the long term ,however there are better and more profitable short term options . The risk-return is not the same for different timeframes but you have a higher probability of good returns in the long run than in the short term. Finally the  cost of the extra profits you made by realigning your portfolio is the premium you pay to reenter oceanic. You can't win them all !
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by samenet(m): 7:20pm On Dec 22, 2007
Good day everyone, I am new to active and purposeful trading, all I have done before now was to buy, wait for certificate and dividends.

I salute all the Gurus on this thread , the Bible says that ,without any contradiction, the less is blessed by the better, as such I hereby submit myself to tutelage. I would also be observant to learn from the experience of others who had before been at the stage I am now.

I need your suggestions, solution and advices to the issues below;

1, Bought Zenith Shares in 2004, tried verifying the certificate with cscs recently; it was returned saying my attention is required. Who should I make myself available to?

2, UBA EQUITY; bought 50,000 units in 2006, tried verifying it. But was told is not listed. How do I dispose this off?

3, IBTC; AFRIBANK; bought these about 2yrs ago, I am yet to see the neither certificates nor dividends. The only evidence I have on these are the tellers I used to pay for the offers. What should I do to recover my investments?

4, GTB; bought in 2004 IPO, am yet to get a certificate though I receive dividends and I have gotten a bonus. I need to get the certificate.

5, I bought Access Aug, 2007, has the shares been allotted? How do company shares stay on TS?.

6,Discovery Fund; I misplaced my cert., I’ve written to ARM , I’ve also sent a sworn affidavit and other things the required, but according to them they are still awaiting the new cert. from the Registrar. I think it’s taken too long, what can I do fasten this process?

I just registered with Cash Craft, I stay in Ibadan, and they have a branch in Ibadan, could I have picked a better Stock Broker that is as close by.

Would appreciate your suggestions.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ernal(m): 11:01pm On Dec 22, 2007
access is yet to be listed,for discovery fund they dont do certificates again,just go to their office in town planning or ikoyi and tell them you need to liquate part of your units,u should get a check within 7 working business day,Merry xmas.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ernal(m): 11:06pm On Dec 22, 2007
access is yet to be listed,for discovery fund they dont do certificates again,just go to their office in town planning or ikoyi and tell them you need to liquate part of your units,u should get a check within 7 working business day,Merry xmas.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by faketan(m): 12:10am On Dec 23, 2007
My brodas una do well o.

Is there anyone here that does business with cashcraft? How good are they generally?

Merry Xmas.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Krrush(m): 12:46am On Dec 23, 2007
@All

Hi and merry Xmass and a profitable new year in advance. smiley

Could someone tell me when FCMB's financial year ends?
Also,was it thier half-yr or 3Q-yr results that was recently released?

grin grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by afamako: 1:34am On Dec 23, 2007
@All

Hi and merry Xmass and a profitable new year in advance. 

Could someone tell me when FCMB's financial year ends?
Also,was it their half-yr or 3Q-yr results that was recently released?

Year end is April. recent result is half year
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Krrush(m): 1:46am On Dec 23, 2007
grin grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Krrush(m): 1:49am On Dec 23, 2007
@Afamco

Thats an affirmed thank you grin grin grin.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Krrush(m): 2:47am On Dec 23, 2007
@Any takers,peeps

@Gurus

I'm taking a rather lazy approach in taking a position with FCMB(Will place a buy order,Monday).

I recall @Gurus(Bless them) pronouncing fair pricing,good forward EPS e.t.c. for FCMB,Access and the like,upon analysis of thier respective PO's.

Adding 130something% increament in after-tax profit at Q2 to the mix,forward EPS is substantially greater now than was considered during PO analysis.

My broker shall see a buy order,Monday,[color=#006600][/color]at market price.At market price,so peeps who would be doing same,would not rain on my parade grin grin grin.

At worst,a 5% gain bings price to apppox.N17.06 going by last close at N16.25 cool cool cool.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Krrush(m): 3:46am On Dec 23, 2007
@Gurus @Takers

FCMB again,might present a safer haven if the market reacts negatively to possible government intervention against the top rung banks if indicted for

round-tripping offences e.t.c shocked shocked shocked.

My reasons are that they are reputed to be a top standard investment bank with relatively weighty foreign presence.Even awarded investment bank

of the year(Don't know who awarded),never mind that this might just be hype cool cool.

Again,possible hefty price correction may be disproportional across all banks,sparing more readily the "penny-stocks" type prices,of which FCMB's is

one.

Then there is the Man's reputation as the Godfather.For many years now the silent "Guru" of the indigenous,once privately owned

banking industry.Otunba Subomi Balogun.This old-school general,together with FCMB of which he is founding CEO no bequethed to his son,pride

themselves of playing by the book.[sub][/sub]Or so I want to believe sha.No stats to behold. cool cool.

Takers any?

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by DisGuy: 4:33am On Dec 23, 2007
^^ same could be said about most of the top banks, awards, high fliers, visionaries, sophisticated, most sound, most influential.

I doubt the any major findings will be revealed to the public it will probably be dealt with 'inside' th NSE,CBN and co have worked so hard this year especially to lure foreign investors- I don't think they'll readily expose anything major on- the other hand they might just to show they are not forming wink
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by oore(m): 8:46am On Dec 23, 2007
@ All, Compliments of the season oh! May we all know the reason for this season.

samenet:

Good day everyone, I am new to active and purposeful trading, all I have done before now was to buy, wait for certificate and dividends.

I salute all the Gurus on this thread , the Bible says that ,without any contradiction, the less is blessed by the better, as such I hereby submit myself to tutelage. I would also be observant to learn from the experience of others who had before been at the stage I am now.

I need your suggestions, solution and advices to the issues below;

1, Bought Zenith Shares in 2004, tried verifying the certificate with cscs recently; it was returned saying my attention is required. Who should I make myself available to?

2, UBA EQUITY; bought 50,000 units in 2006, tried verifying it. But was told is not listed. How do I dispose this off?

3, IBTC; AFRIBANK; bought these about 2yrs ago, I am yet to see the neither certificates nor dividends. The only evidence I have on these are the tellers I used to pay for the offers. What should I do to recover my investments?

4, GTB; bought in 2004 IPO, am yet to get a certificate though I receive dividends and I have gotten a bonus. I need to get the certificate.

5, I bought Access Aug, 2007, has the shares been allotted? How do company shares stay on TS?.

6,Discovery Fund; I misplaced my cert., I’ve written to ARM , I’ve also sent a sworn affidavit and other things the required, but according to them they are still awaiting the new cert. from the Registrar. I think it’s taken too long, what can I do fasten this process?

I just registered with Cash Craft, I stay in Ibadan, and they have a branch in Ibadan, could I have picked a better Stock Broker that is as close by.

Would appreciate your suggestions.

@ samenet,
Find my sugesstion on your issues as follows:

1. I presume you tried verifying your Zenith certificate through your stockbroker. Then you need to see your broker and get details of what zenith registrars want from you. It could be irregular signature between your PO form and verification form or inconsistent address between the forms. A visit to zenith registrar with your broker rep will not be a bad idea to clear it once and for all.
2. You have to wait untill when the new issues of UBA shares is listed before you can trade/dispose of it. No option to this. Just monitor news from NSE on new listing.
3. IBTC/AFribank shares - You need to call the registrars of these companies and ask for your account number with them. A visit to them is much better, it will clear things. The answers you get will tell you if your application was successfull and qty of units you have. If you have been checking your postal address without these certificates, this can be presumed lost if the registrars are not holding it (returned unclaimed)
4. You can follow same procedure for (3) only that with the divident warrant, you know you account number and you can use this to request for duplicate certificate from the registrars of GTB.
5. Access - Still a long way to go. not yet concluded - ertficate issuance, listng on NSE and verification of certificates. you at 3-4 months from now.
6. I think someone answer this already.

Best of luck.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Pennywise(m): 11:45am On Dec 23, 2007
@Princesege

What happened to all our investments in your defunct MLM scheme? I hope you have paid back all your depositors. Hey I am only joking.

Could you tell me how you can make profit from PO within 3-6months considering the Nigerian situation at the moment.
From my experience, you will be lucky if share cert is ready withing 4 months of purchase from IPPOAlso it takes another 2 months to do the verification with CSCS and get it registered. May be another 2 months to trade and get your money if you have a good broker. It is not a straight forward process.
Maybe you have a better approach please share your ideas.

In truth didnt know a company like that existed or that name had been so smeared. Looked at differently the name serves as a useful reminder of what could happen in this thing we do when you let guards down. So you see am a different person. My full name is Pennywise pound foolish, contemporary of William Shakespeare (that bookish fellow).

The point I was trying to make is this-If you opt for PO and you get 100% in one year that is a hell of a good deal because you can easily accommodate the 31% par annum cost of fund. But short term trades like 3-6 months will bring the net cost of funds down to 13%-18% and you can make a good profit provided the volume is good. It is this same volume that will kill the person (not my friend Princesege) if things go wrong. Now you are beginning to make me sound like a 'guru'.

Talking about taking loans generally to buy shares.This is a worldwide practice that is gradually catching on in Niger-[size=5pt]no slacking[/size] Although I must say I felt slighted and infact offended when on asking for my share certificate a customer service officer asked me did you use loan to buy it, as if it mattered! It is true people's goals, circumstance and risk profile do differ as has been elaborated previously but taking loans from Nigerian banks should be a no no.

Must be damn cold in London at the moment. I love the cold. But just cant accept or get used to dusk beginning at 4pm.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by arsenal4va(m): 11:58am On Dec 23, 2007
where can i get IPO forms for COSTAIN ??
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Pennywise(m): 12:17pm On Dec 23, 2007
@arsenal4va

Visit this website. You will get it there.

http://www.nigeriansecurities.com/

Thereafter you can go to church.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Naijadr: 12:18pm On Dec 23, 2007
realize that POs are usually oversubscribed, so if you are lucky you'll be able to get 300k worth with the rest of your money being refunded after months interest free
@Pennywise, u take a N1mil loan, put it in Zenith bank PO, well guess what, you'll prob get like N250k max worth of shares alloted, but you prob wont get refunded funds till say sep 2008
basically if you take a loan, your best and only bet is secondary market!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Pennywise(m): 12:27pm On Dec 23, 2007
@Naijadr

A million naira is pea nut to Zenith. They will accommodate it easily. I think they will take by far more. They need the money. If you have Jim Ovia kind of appetite you will find a way.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Pennywise(m): 12:39pm On Dec 23, 2007
I want to be educated. Apart from the recent embarrassment from First bank how many banks lately returned money (for shares legitimately purchased) on account of over subscription? I dont think generally banks would like to return money so they can come to the market every other year for PO.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by invisible2(m): 2:41pm On Dec 23, 2007
Apart from first bank, access bank will be returning money to investors. They may not like to return the money cause they need it, but the authorities are not allowing them to keep the money.

(1) (2) (3) ... (263) (264) (265) (266) (267) (268) (269) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.