Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,860 members, 7,980,011 topics. Date: Saturday, 19 October 2024 at 11:23 PM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (452) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (838638 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (449) (450) (451) (452) (453) (454) (455) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by samenet(m): 7:47pm On Feb 10, 2008
Recently, there were comments on this thread as per Ts as it relates to the insurance sector,please educate me, why do I have to off load  insurance stocks because of impeding TS, I thought its much better to keep and when price goes of you can easily sell post Ts.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by loma(m): 8:01pm On Feb 10, 2008
NAIRALAND has no fury like a STOCKMASTER scorned!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 8:03pm On Feb 10, 2008
its not that u have to off-load really. it depends on ur investment goals, presonality and risk appetite. TS lasts minimum 3 months or so and for most people, thats too long a time to have ur money tied down doing nothing so they exit as close to the TS as they can get since a lot of companies do everything to drive up their share price pre-TS so they can say they are offering u the share at a discount during the P.O.
Besides, the supposed post TS bull run doesnt always materialize. hope this helps
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by debenzd(f): 8:05pm On Feb 10, 2008
Hi Fatherof2, Windywendy

Do you guys think there is another 20% to scrap from WAPCO?

Thanks
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 8:07pm On Feb 10, 2008
samenet:

Recently, there were comments on this thread as per Ts as it relates to the insurance sector,please educate me, why do I have to off load  insurance stocks because of impeding TS, I thought its much better to keep and when price goes of you can easily sell post Ts.

This is a bit tricky. It depends on what the general price of insurance stocks will be after these stocks come out of TS. Aiico is an example. By the time Aiico came out of TS, some insurance companies had appreciated more than 100%. That made Aiico a gold mine.

The problem is that many insurance stocks will be over-priced before they go on TS. By the time insurance companies start coming with their full year results, I will expect some disappointments which will pull down the prices. If you own such an insurance stock on TS at this time you may be looking at serious depreciation.

What I can say is that now investors on the NSE have no patience. People want to make money weekly or monthly and don't want a stock on TS that cannot appreciate in price. If you look at the insurance stocks that are currently on TS, these are available on the floor so don't expect all of them to experience the same thing that is happening to Aiico.

Personally, I don't need any stock on TS except it is a definite money spinner after TS. Based on the current prices, I can't really see any one in that category.

If you are a long term player, no problem. Just target the insurance stocks with sound fundamentals once the prices dip a bit and hold for a year. You should be smiling to the bank. Lawunion, Unic and Lasaco will be insurance stocks I will consider long term.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 8:09pm On Feb 10, 2008
debenzd:

Hi Fatherof2, Windywendy

Do you guys think there is another 20% to scrap from WAPCO?

Thanks
if i may,

i no be windy or Fof2 but i think wapic may conyinur her gains for a little while longer but dont know how long sha. all i can see is a continuation,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by SavvyLanre: 8:25pm On Feb 10, 2008
= Deleted =
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by 4wheel: 8:43pm On Feb 10, 2008
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by stanchuks(m): 8:49pm On Feb 10, 2008
@Flaky
abi na watin be that name sef, well guy u no yan well at all, amongst all the people for this forum na my gentle Oga u come dey show yourself, you get luck say the guy no dey vex, if na Father of 3 you open mouth talk all this one to, dem for don remove your name form this forum,cos that one and him followers get action, so if you dey plan to attack am, my advice be say make you just no try am
E for just good if u go fit apologise to Pumping
@Pumping
If the guy no apologise make i do am on him behalf, no vex
I SENT YOU A PERSONAL MAIL, THANKS FOR REPLYING
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by stanchuks(m): 8:57pm On Feb 10, 2008
@Pumping777
Just replied your mail, thanks for your views
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by samenet(m): 9:03pm On Feb 10, 2008
@pumpinq777-Thanks for the explanation.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by debenzd(f): 9:04pm On Feb 10, 2008
aktopgun:

if i may,

i no be windy or Fof2 but i think wapic may conyinur her gains for a little while longer but don't know how long sha. all i can see is a continuation,

Aktopgun.

Thank you very much. Your opinion is always welcomed. Really appreciate it. I know results are due. I was also hoping it will make one last dip before the results are annouced so one can enter but this market get as e be.

It looks like there is so much money around and prices will just make small drops for repositioning and then set off again.

What do you think?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by samenet(m): 9:08pm On Feb 10, 2008
@Pumpinq777-Thanks for the explanation.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 9:14pm On Feb 10, 2008
debenzd:

Aktopgun.

Thank you very much. Your opinion is always welcomed. Really appreciate it. I know results are due. I was also hoping it will make one last dip before the results are annouced so one can enter but this market get as e be.

It looks like there is so much money around and prices will just make small drops for repositioning and then set off again.

What do you think?

omo dont give up like that oh. as u said anything is possible so just keep ur eyes open for the opportunities. they will surely present themselves
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by TheAdmira: 9:17pm On Feb 10, 2008
@4wheel, et al

is NEM on the list of insurance stock about to go on TS? if yes when exactly?
after waiting for 5 days, my buy order for NEM was finally executed @5.26! i need to be able to accomplish a CICO b4 any TS!

awaiting ur response.

thx
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by flakyy: 9:18pm On Feb 10, 2008
Pumping,

I sheath my sword, i guess i was unfair in letting certain things i should have addressed boil over to the point where i went ballistic.

Like going to megaupload where you in good faith posted some files , but was devastating in terms of malware and spyware on that one picked up from that site.  Also in good faith you made the list of outstanding shares available which had some errors here and there. I only know this cause of people on ground i can get the real results from.

These are all issues i could have addessed in a more civil manner, but was miffed at the malware and spyware issues from megaload on one's system

I am sorry.

Yodi-yokun. You are a bufoon. When people are trying to quench the fire you are stoking it. who are you tell someone to sharap.

Pumping accept my apologies, i over reacted,

But please everyone beware of megaupload, it is a den of malware and spyware.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 9:21pm On Feb 10, 2008
flakyy:

Pumping,

I sheath my sword, i guess i was unfair in letting certain things i should have addressed boil over to the point where i went ballistic.

Like going to megaupload where you in good faith posted some files , but was devastating in terms of malware and spyware on that one picked up from that site.  Also in good faith you made the list of outstanding shares available which had some errors here and there. I only know this cause of people on ground i can get the real results from.

These are all issues i could have addessed in a more civil manner, but was miffed at the malware and spyware issues from megaload on one's system

I am sorry.

Yodi-yokun. You are a bufoon. When people are trying to quench the fire you are stoking it. who are you tell someone to sharap.

honestly u are too uncivilised,arrogant and abusive and disrespectful to be on such a forum.

u will be ignored by me from now on sha!

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 9:23pm On Feb 10, 2008
@flaky

honestly u are too uncivilised,arrogant and abusive and disrespectful to be on such a forum.

u will be ignored by me from now on sha!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by flakyy: 9:27pm On Feb 10, 2008
Aktopgun

if you look at my posts you will note that i have not asked your assistance in anyway.

Why should i keep quietwhen someone tells me to sharapp for my opinions. Why did you not advise him to temper things down and not aggravate issues by telling people to sharaaaap.

I don't know how your decision to ignore people affects the price of fish in the market.

Let me keep quiet for sake of the decent people on this forum and suck up my malware and spyware losses from megaupload
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 9:32pm On Feb 10, 2008
to more important matters and the reson we are all on this thread,

NEM may be in for a bit of turbulence in the coming days. thats if u believe in tech analysis though.
there is a noticeable decline on the MACD histogram.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 9:40pm On Feb 10, 2008
The MACD-Histogram represents the difference between the MACD and its trigger line, the 9-day EMA of MACD. The plot of this difference is presented as a histogram, making centerline crossovers and divergences easily identifiable. A centerline crossover for the MACD-Histogram is the same as a moving average crossover for MACD. a moving average crossover occurs when MACD moves above or below the trigger line.

If the value of MACD is larger than the value of its 9-day EMA, then the value on the MACD-Histogram will be positive. Conversely, if the value of MACD is less than its 9-day EMA, then the value on the MACD-Histogram will be negative.

Further increases or decreases in the gap between MACD and its trigger line will be reflected in the MACD-Histogram. Sharp increases in the MACD-Histogram indicate that MACD is rising faster than its 9-day EMA and bullish momentum is strengthening. Sharp declines in the MACD-Histogram indicate that MACD is falling faster than its 9-day EMA and bearish momentum is increasing.

The main benefit of the MACD-Histogram is its ability to anticipate MACD signals. Divergences usually appear in the MACD-Histogram before MACD moving average crossovers do. Armed with this knowledge, traders and investors can better prepare for potential trend changes.

The MACD-Histogram can be applied to daily, weekly or monthly charts. (Note: This may require some tinkering with the number of periods used to form the original MACD; shorter or faster moving averages might be necessary for weekly and monthly charts.) Using weekly charts, the broad underlying trend of a stock can be determined. Once the broad trend has been determined, daily charts can be used to time entry and exit strategies.

this is the best explanation i could find and its helped me a great deal.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Prince11(m): 9:41pm On Feb 10, 2008
@Aktopgun, Yodi /  ALL

make una no vex,. I know say Pumping77 no dey vex, have read this thread enough to know say e no dey quick vex at all grin

Now let this be final on this Flaky matter

Case closed abi I no talk am well
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 9:43pm On Feb 10, 2008
by the way, u dont need to do any work calculating or trying to draw up the macd histogram urself. its already done on the nigeriansecurities.com website. its the green bar chart kind of thing on the MACD graph
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by blueband(m): 9:43pm On Feb 10, 2008
Lets give flakky some credit for apologising.Afterall this is a faceless forum and he can change his username and still not apologise to anyone.

Abeg,I get idle money with my broker o,I need to give orders tomorrow.Anybody way get expo mail am to me :bluebanduk@yahoo.com.

Aktopgun,abeg how u dey deal with patients when them meat you for road.One of my patients see me this morning for train come sit down next to me,dey tell me how him dey take him Clozapine as prescribed and how the voices don dey reduce and the guy was shouting and calling my name.Walahi shame catch me,cos the guy dirty no be small.Na my fault to live near my hospital?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by TheAdmira: 9:46pm On Feb 10, 2008
Serious Minded Nairalanders are working class people who come to fora such as this to rub minds and make progress. in this case make money in the NSE. we should not allow people like Flakyy to sidetrack us. there has been no meaning post for a while now thanks to Flakyy and instead of apologising and putting a stop to the detraction SHE (i assume Flakyy is Folake - female) goes ahead and goes ballistic on our Yodiyokun who happens to be one of the queens in this forum (WindyWendy is another one).

flakyy:

Noun 1. buffoon - a rude or vulgar fool

can we go back to the business of this forum? what lies ahead in this week?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 9:49pm On Feb 10, 2008
blueband:

Lets give flakky some credit for apologising.Afterall this is a faceless forum and he can change his username and still not apologise to anyone.

Abeg,I get idle money with my broker o,I need to give orders tomorrow.Anybody way get expo mail am to me :bluebanduk@yahoo.com.

Aktopgun,abeg how u dey deal with patients when them meat you for road.One of my patients see me this morning for train come sit down next to me,dey tell me how him dey take him Clozapine as prescribed and how the voices don dey reduce and the guy was shouting and calling my name.Walahi shame catch me,because the guy dirty no be small.Na my fault to live near my hospital?

u said it. i remember saying in the past on here that i personally make it a point as much as possible not to live in the same borough i work in, too dangerous.

@Prince11, my brother, leave it. its finished as far as the topgun is concerned. lets speak no further about the issue. not worth the effort u know.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 9:53pm On Feb 10, 2008
eniyanman:

@aktopgun,
bros, abeg which book you dey read for all this TA? i have a few questions but i want to first understand the fundamentals of this subject.

cheers.

no books, just stockcharts.com if u have the time. a good resource. thats where i get all the explanations and informative pictorials i use to understand TA. it was all greek to me as well before but not anmore. where there's a will, there's a way.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 9:56pm On Feb 10, 2008
eniyanman:

@aktopgun,
bros, abeg which book you dey read for all this TA? i have a few questions but i want to first understand the [b]fundamental[/b]s of this subject.

cheers.

by the way, i like ur play on words, understanding the fundamentals of TA. cheesy cheesy cheesy. PRICELESS!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 9:58pm On Feb 10, 2008
flakyy:

Pumping,

I am sorry.

Apology accepted. The ability to make ammends is a virtue.

No wahala.

Please be a final gentleman and apologize to yodiyokun. Na Lady o. No mind the vex tone.

Case closed from my side sha.

Back to stock issues.

Regarding outstanding shares, if you look harder you will probably find out that most of my figures are correct. I don't track listed shares only which is probably what your chaps on the ground are giving you. These are sometimes not important to me.

I include yet to be listed PO shares, Right issues, Preferential shares, debentures etc and even project 25% oversubscription for POs. Everytime I paste my figures, I explain this fact. In my original spreadsheet I have comments that explain how I arrive at these figures but I cannot share this since my identity is recorded with the comments.

The guys on the ground in NSE, SEC and the brokerage firms don't always have these figures so don't let them confuse you or convince you that they do. FSDH told us in December that Crusader at a forward PE of 5. Beat that. I take my time to compute individual figures from company corporate actions reported with SEC and sum everything up to get my tally.

Of course, all my figures can't be correct but I can vouch for most of them. If anyone jumps out at you as being incorrect, let me know and I can correct my sheet.

If you have a problem with megaupload, you may want to try a good anti-virus software with real time protection. I work in IT so I don't see any big deal with dodgy websites. The anti-virus softwares are ahead of the game. I even use sites like astalavista so what is megaupload.  I was also introduced to megaupload here and it is a cool way for us to send large files. I have never had a problem with it. When someone introduced us to Metastock and we found trojans, it was no big deal. We raised the flag and folks here helped on how to get rid of the problem at it worked and we were thankful. There is always a way round these things.

We are here to learn about the NSE and make money. Now let's get on with the business at hand.

Chei, now I don forget wetin I wan ask my broker to buy tomorrow
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 10:03pm On Feb 10, 2008
pumping777:

Apology accepted. The ability to make ammends is a virtue. No wahala for my side.

Please be a final gentleman and apologize to yodiyokun. Na Lady o. No mind the vex tone.

Case closed from my side sha.

Back to stock issues.

Regarding outstanding shares, if you look harder you will probably find out that most of my figures are correct. I don't track listed shares only which is probably what your chaps on the ground are giving you. These are sometimes not important to me.

I include yet to be listed PO shares, Right issues, Preferential shares, debentures etc and even project 25% oversubscription for POs. Everytime I paste my figures, I explain this fact. In my original spreadsheet I have comments that explain how I arrive at these figures but I cannot share this since my identity is recorded with the comments.

The guys on the ground in NSE, SEC and the brokerage firms don't always have these figures so don't let them confuse you or convince you that they do. FSDH told us in December that Crusader at a forward PE of 5. Beat that. I take my time to compute individual figures from company corporate actions reported with SEC and sum everything up to get my tally.

Of course, all my figures can't be correct but I can vouch for most of them. If anyone jumps out at you as being incorrect, let me know and I can correct my sheet.

If you have a problem with megaupload, get yourself a good anti-virus software with real time protention. I work in IT so I don't see any big deal with dodgy websites. The anti-virus softwares are ahead of the game. I even use sites like astalavista so what is megaupload.  I was also introduced to megaupload here and it is a cool way for us to send large files. I have never had a problem with it. When someone introduced us to Metastock and we found trojans, it was no big deal. We raised the flag and folks here helped on how to get rid of the problem at it worked and we were thankful. There is always a way round these things.

We are here to learn about the NSE and make money. Now let's get on with the business at hand. Chei, now I don forget wetin I wan ask my broker to buy tomorrow

If he/she had read the thread before making sweeping statements, u wouldnt have had to make this explanation pumping. it would have been self explanatory. big up to u for accepting the tacit apology, u're the better for it.

lets make money this week shall we.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by debenzd(f): 10:13pm On Feb 10, 2008
aktopgun:

The MACD-Histogram represents the difference between the MACD and its trigger line, the 9-day EMA of MACD. The plot of this difference is presented as a histogram, making centerline crossovers and divergences easily identifiable. A centerline crossover for the MACD-Histogram is the same as a moving average crossover for MACD. a moving average crossover occurs when MACD moves above or below the trigger line.

If the value of MACD is larger than the value of its 9-day EMA, then the value on the MACD-Histogram will be positive. Conversely, if the value of MACD is less than its 9-day EMA, then the value on the MACD-Histogram will be negative.

Further increases or decreases in the gap between MACD and its trigger line will be reflected in the MACD-Histogram. Sharp increases in the MACD-Histogram indicate that MACD is rising faster than its 9-day EMA and bullish momentum is strengthening. Sharp declines in the MACD-Histogram indicate that MACD is falling faster than its 9-day EMA and bearish momentum is increasing.

The main benefit of the MACD-Histogram is its ability to anticipate MACD signals. Divergences usually appear in the MACD-Histogram before MACD moving average crossovers do. Armed with this knowledge, traders and investors can better prepare for potential trend changes.

The MACD-Histogram can be applied to daily, weekly or monthly charts. (Note: This may require some tinkering with the number of periods used to form the original MACD; shorter or faster moving averages might be necessary for weekly and monthly charts.) Using weekly charts, the broad underlying trend of a stock can be determined. Once the broad trend has been determined, daily charts can be used to time entry and exit strategies.

this is the best explanation i could find and its helped me a great deal.

Thanks Aktopgun.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by flakyy: 10:20pm On Feb 10, 2008
Because pumping talkam, i go apologise to yodi-yokun.

Accept my aplologies

Thanks to all the guys who put in posts to soothe frayed nerves

(1) (2) (3) ... (449) (450) (451) (452) (453) (454) (455) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.