Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,156 members, 7,916,381 topics. Date: Friday, 09 August 2024 at 10:11 PM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (532) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (828968 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (529) (530) (531) (532) (533) (534) (535) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 4:23pm On Feb 22, 2008
haba, livestockfeeds too.

u wouldnt believe the similarities between their chart and that of dunlop. ehn so some silent people for here get this kain stock wey don dey rise since november last year almost in a straight line upwards no talk anything

anyway god dey cheesy  cheesy
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 4:25pm On Feb 22, 2008
me i no fit give any advice on livestock o tongue tongue. so so doji with high volume every where. buying pressure boku. is it not too high now to be buying though?

liver full ground for here sha.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by invisible2(m): 4:27pm On Feb 22, 2008
@ nkc, the corolla or even a camry will be a good reward to my trading activities this yr. The purchase will be by nov/dec. 2008.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by loma(m): 4:28pm On Feb 22, 2008
Wey Wendy with the Wind behind the news?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by SEGUNKADRI(m): 4:31pm On Feb 22, 2008
Quote from: SEGUNKADRI on Yesterday at 06:48:36 PM
I Learnt a Trick form the Stock Market by buying Less of the IPOs (Initial Public Offer) and Trading more on the Secondary Market. It has it merit and demerit, thus it's better and works fine for me . I have some questions for both Primary Market and Secondary Market after which i would wait for response .
Q1. How long does it take to get a IPO Certificate?
Q2. After receiving the IPO's Certificate can you sell immediately?
Q3. What are you after buying a company's shares ?

With the questions you have asked below, you cannot know yet if this system works for you or not.

Anyway, make I answer Teacher my homework  

Q1. No fixed time. It can be anything from 3 months to 1 year or even longer. A date is normally set in the prospectus but this is never met. Add at least 3 months to that date.

Q2. No, you cannot sell. You have to verify the certificates with the registrar. This can take more than 3 months or even more.

Q3. You become an ordinary shareholder. I don't mean ordinary in the context of status but just to distinguish it from a preferential shareholder.

Shikena. I hope say I pass  
Yes u did, but really i love to trade on the secondary market not because it is expensive but for the interest of not waiting months to get certificate, i would take advance of the market at any point when i guess my interest rate is good enough to back out and also invest in a kobo shares where i can accumulate more units than the Naira shares were i would have to wait for a long term and to be frank the insurance sector (Lasaco,Goldlink,Universal, MBenefit, and some other small sector like the 2nd tiers sector,Industurial & Domestic sector) are doing me enough to think of the big boys sector ,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by windywendy(f): 4:32pm On Feb 22, 2008
@AKtopcandlegun  tongue and Mr. Risky, where una dey when I was recommending Livestock bout 2wks ago? It was about 5.6 then (at least that's the price at which I bought). That one, berger paints and dunlop should have made those who bought some dough by now (although I didn't buy Berger, and I've long sold dunlop). Guinea ins refused to perform as expected, so I dumped and netted only 5% post commission  angry cool.

See my post below:

windywendy:

Berger paints -- I haven't taken postion here and probably shouldn't even be mentioning it knowing how badly those silent moneybags can spoil one's show  angry grin. But for you shig, I'll let it out  wink
Guinea insurance (CICO, i'm not holding for more than 10 days at the most) -- I know you don't do CICO but this is for those who care  smiley smiley
Livestock (seems people are mopping this one up. I just got in today though). But the company is doing a turn around and it seems to be working. Check out topline growth for the 9mth ended 9/2007 -- impressive. I'm hoping they'll get their costs under control here, so that all that growth can be translated to the bottom line. But these guys have all the qualities of a turnaround and I'm liking it . . .
Dunlop -- this one's a little bit shaky though. I got in on Friday and got some more today. They recently hired a new marketing henchman that's rumored to have the "midas" touch. Perhaps that's what's driving the price. I'll be watching closely and will get out at the first sign of any misstep  smiley

That's it for now I guess.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by loma(m): 4:34pm On Feb 22, 2008
Great WIndyWendy,

Can you Wind us some stocks (in the mould of Niwi,Berger& Livestock) that we can Wend for the next 2 weeks? cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by nkc(m): 4:37pm On Feb 22, 2008
@invinsible notin do u, me i do like that side too grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by windywendy(f): 4:40pm On Feb 22, 2008
loma:

Great WIndyWendy,

Can you Wind us some stocks (in the mould of Niwi,Berger& Livestock) that we can Wend for the next 2 weeks? cheesy cheesy cheesy

hahaha! Great ke? That na AKtopgun, easimoni and londoncool o. Dem sabi no be small  grin

I don't have any stock recommendations today. The money you don make from the ones wen I recommend never do you  tongue grin

By the way, this news with your broker and niwicable about to do a PO, how true is it? I'm seriously not aware of any impending PO, and to the best of my knowledge they're not planning any. Who be your broker?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 4:41pm On Feb 22, 2008
windywendy:

@AKtopcandlegun  tongue and Mr. Risky, where una dey when I was recommending Livestock bout 2wks ago? It was about 5.6 then (at least that's the price at which I bought). That one, berger paints and dunlop should have made those who bought some dough by now. Guinea ins refused to perform as expected, so I dumped and netted only 5% post commission  angry cool.

See my post below:

The windy one, i hail!!

U talk am. now i know better. i for light candle under them when u spoke but i didnt and now  embarassed  embarassed

enjoy ur loot girl  grin. chei! see money!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 4:42pm On Feb 22, 2008
SEGUNKADRI:

Yes u did, but really i love to trade on the secondary market not because it is expensive but for the interest of not waiting months to get certificate, i would take advance of the market at any point when i guess my interest rate is good enough to back out and also invest in a kobo shares where i can accumulate more units than the Naira shares were i would have to wait for a long term and to be frank the insurance sector (Lasaco,Goldlink,Universal, MBenefit, and some other small sector like the 2nd tiers sector,Industurial & Domestic sector) are doing me enough to think of the big boys sector ,

Bros, you have the "nominal price syndrome". The price of a stock (and thus, the # of units u can afford) has no bearing on the degree of profitability to expect. Granted, cheap stocks tend to be volatile (note I said volatile: first to go up in a bull market and first to drop dead in a bear market) but some of the best stocks are in the 30+ range. I've bought an N18 stock and watched it quadruple to N70 (Wapco a couple of years ago), so no reason to believe "big boy sectors" can't deliver too

AKT, I hail too.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by loma(m): 4:44pm On Feb 22, 2008
windywendy:

hahaha! Great ke? That na AKtopgun, easimoni and londoncool o. Dem sabi no be small grin

I don't have any stock recommendations today. The money you don make from the ones when I recommend never do you tongue grin

By the way, this news with your broker and niwicable about to do a PO, how true is it? I'm seriously not aware of any impending PO, and to the best of my knowledge they're not planning any. Who be your broker?

Money dey do person? I use Capital Assets. The guy is not sure too , but told me he heard something and would investigate. Let us know if the wind blows any news your way.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 4:51pm On Feb 22, 2008
easimoni:

Bros, you have the "nominal price syndrome". The price of a stock (and thus, the # of units u can afford) has no bearing on the degree of profitability to expect. Granted, cheap stocks tend to be volatile (note I said volatile: first to go up in a bull market and first to drop dead in a bear market) but some of the best stocks are in the 30+ range. I've bought an N18 stock and watched it quadruple to N70 (Wapco a couple of years ago), so no reason to believe "big boy sectors" can't deliver too

AKT, I hail too.

u know, i should have taken ur longman tip but the guy just broke gaan that time. anyway any fresh ideas, u know where to find me wink
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by windywendy(f): 4:52pm On Feb 22, 2008
aktopgun:

The windy one, i hail!!

You talk am. now i know better. i for light candle under them when u spoke but i didnt and now  embarassed  embarassed

enjoy your loot girl  grin. chei! see money!

Your royal guruship how na?  grin cheesy

You never talk anything about Tobechukwu. How the little pea dey? Is he alright now?

E get one tin weh I wan talk, but make I clear throat first  cheesy

ehem-ehem: this one wey madam don dey talk say e be like say nairaland don become the 4th wheel in the family, my advice to you be say make you begin scale back your nairalandiness significantly o! We appreciate your contributions very much (honestly speaking!) and left to me, would like to perpetually read all those insightful TAs that you do -- I know the time commitment on your part that takes!. But hmmm, by the time e don dey cause uneasiness for house, na im be say we will have to be missing you on nairaland be that. Abi how you see am?

OK back to stocks.  smiley
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MrRisky: 4:53pm On Feb 22, 2008
windywendy:

@AKtopcandlegun  tongue and Mr. Risky, where una dey when I was recommending Livestock bout 2wks ago? It was about 5.6 then (at least that's the price at which I bought). That one, berger paints and dunlop should have made those who bought some dough by now (although I didn't buy Berger, and I've long sold dunlop). Guinea ins refused to perform as expected, so I dumped and netted only 5% post commission  angry cool.

See my post below:

Windy Wendy, the Iron lady, you see I must have been dosing when I read that your post.  Since the turn around seems to be moving on a good path, for me I can still jump in for a 9month to 0ne year reward.  I am a correct medium to long termer.  I personally booked Livestock down last week here, but the drive to get even 100 units of NIWICABLE did not allow me see road, and up till now I am still unsuccessful.  I will settle for Live stock afterall its people that are still buying.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MrRisky: 4:54pm On Feb 22, 2008
Is there a PO brewing for DEAP CAPITAL Any info pls. thanks
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by enurayce: 4:56pm On Feb 22, 2008
Still waiting for ur replies please

@All
Please i need help with the personal numbers of those that work in the certificate sections of the registrars below.I will greatly appreciate anmy help as my certs lodged through valueline remians unverified since April last year

1.Union registrars
2.Diamond
3.Oceanic
4.Zenith
Waiting for your response
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 4:56pm On Feb 22, 2008
NEPA_LOVA:

@pumping.

Do you have any info on Eans Medical? and(or) AFPRINT?

Nothing new on these companies as far as I can tell.

Afrprint has not released any result since around 2004 and I am yet to see any good result from Evans Medical in the last one year. The profits have been dipping.

We all need to be careful of this "low nominal price" syndrome. It will wreck havoc in the portfolio of many folks this year when the bears come with a vengeance.

As an example, see the woeful Q-3 result announced by Academy Press today and yet the stock price rose from N5.42 to N8.28 this year alone. PAT dropped from N49M to N16M. What is that?

I'm no prophet of doom but just to ask folks to be careful. It is very risky to jump into the ship of a stock that has risen say 50% consistently in a number of weeks if you don't know the reason for the rise.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by windywendy(f): 4:57pm On Feb 22, 2008
Mr. Risky:

Is there a PO brewing for DEAP CAPITAL Any info please. thanks

Yes. Rumored at N6/share. So, in my view, any price significantly above the N6 trading range is danger TS territory. Unless you don't mind being caught in TS that is.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 4:58pm On Feb 22, 2008
Crownvilla:

@ Frankiriri

Oga Frank,  Rule 90 section ii of the SEC document states "The securities shall not be offered to more than 50 subscribers". 
Can you kindly break this down for a layman? Surely, it can't be referring to the number of investors that can particpate or buy into the PP, or is it?   
The maximum no of shareholders a private company can have is 50. Once it is above that they have to file as public limited coy. ( Note that this does not mean that they are quoted).  So for PPs that aim to exceed this number they must be approved by SEC.  Others that meet theb 50 requirement are only required to inform SEC
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 5:04pm On Feb 22, 2008
Russia's UC RUSAL restarts Nigerian aluminium smelter
Fri 22 Feb 2008, 12:48 GMT

MOSCOW, Feb 22 (Reuters) - Russia's United Company RUSAL, the world's top aluminium producer, has restarted Nigeria's sole smelter, which had been idle since 2000, UC RUSAL said on Friday.

UC RUSAL said in a statement it planned to completely modernise the Alscon smelter in southeast Nigeria so that it can reach full capacity of 197,000 tonnes a year in 2010.

It said total investment in the smelter's upgrade would be around $300 million.

The smelter was built in 1997 but produced just 40,000 tonnes of metal before closing three years later. RUSAL paid $250 million for a 77.5 percent stake in Alscon in February 2007.

The plant had originally been expected to restart in December, but this was delayed by a dispute with the local community over dredging of the Imo river, and the kidnap of six Russian workers at the plant in June.

The hostages were released unharmed after two months in captivity.

The Nigerian government retains a 15 percent stake in Alscon, while Germany's Ferrostaal AG has 7.5 percent. (Reporting by Aleksandras Budrys, Editing by Peter Blackburn)

http://africa.reuters.com/country/NG/news/usnL22169404.html

Gurus,
anything for the boys? Is this why Aluamco is firing? Any link btwn Alscon and Alumaco? Wendy na u esp.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 5:06pm On Feb 22, 2008
windywendy:

Your royal guruship how na?  grin cheesy

You never talk anything about Tobechukwu. How the little pea dey? Is he alright now?

E get one tin weh I wan talk, but make I clear throat first  cheesy

ehem-ehem: this one wey madam don dey talk say e be like say nairaland don become the 4th wheel in the family, my advice to you be say make you begin scale back your nairalandiness significantly o! We appreciate your contributions very much (honestly speaking!) and left to me, would like to perpetually read all those insightful TAs that you do -- I know the time commitment on your part that takes!. But hmmm, by the time e don dey cause uneasiness for house, na im be say we will have to be missing you on nairaland be that. Abi how you see am?

OK back to stocks.  smiley

My sister thank u so much. wifey has been great about it bit i know say e no easy for her but who can blame the poor darling, i have been so engrossed in work & nairaland na wa.

i know where my priorities lie though. so i am taking ur advice. i will become more of a silent participant jare. i will post from time to time but not as frequent as the last few weeks. make i look to my own.

On tobechukwu, my dear, the boy is growing well. as i told roughcut, the doctors are maintaining their confession based on their tests and we are maintaining ours based on God's promises. I believe we will win. Pls continue to pray for his health.

thanks again girl. i appreciate it more than u know.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Omoba3(m): 5:06pm On Feb 22, 2008
Aktogun, Windywendy, Easi, FO2, Temmie10, WanajO: Whay's your take on Redstar? How do you see it performing?

Aktopgun: Interpret candle make I hear smiley Yesterday I saw your S class on Scrubs Lane: License plate A7000GUN why you no tell us say you dey drive S Class now wink

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 5:07pm On Feb 22, 2008
samstone4:

@Frankiriri

I take your word for it that SEC has jurisdiction over such private placement.

The public interest will be better served by SEC investigating the PUBLIC COMPANY First Bank which postponed the closure date  of a PUBLIC OFFER by 2 weeks on its way to some 400 billion Naira oversubscription than a PRIVATE company that tried to shut it down prematurely in anticipation of oversubscription.

@Nairalanders

I think it is correct that SEC should have liaised with NSE before announcing that it was probing the activities of a quoted company.

Samstone4 cool cool cool
The only reason why I would agree with your assertion about FBN is because I know for a fact that they raised 150billion internally ( i.e from sales of shares at FBN branches). Otherwise with PO you dont know how much has been raised until the external receiving agents make their returns.
A PP on the other hand is supposed to be marketed to specificallly identified person through specifically identified agents who should have been allocated specfic units of shares to sell. Once a receiving agent exhausts its supply it should stop collecting from people. For example with the chams PP I think I read some where that some issuing houses stopped selling ahead of other. This should be the case where they have exhausted their supply.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 5:09pm On Feb 22, 2008
pumping777:

Nothing new on these companies as far as I can tell.

Afrprint has not released any result since around 2004 and I am yet to see any good result from Evans Medical in the last one year. The profits have been dipping.

We all need to be careful of this "low nominal price" syndrome. It will wreck havoc in the portfolio of many folks this year when the bears come with a vengeance.
As an example, see the woeful Q-3 result announced by Academy Press today and yet the stock price rose from N5.42 to N8.28 this year alone. PAT dropped from N49M to N16M. What is that?

I'm no prophet of doom but just to ask folks to be careful. It is very risky to jump into the ship of a stock that has risen say 50% consistently in a number of weeks if you don't know the reason for the rise.

Prophet of doom thou art!!!!!!

Abeg, make we dey enjoy the loot
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 5:12pm On Feb 22, 2008
wanaj0:

Prophet of doom thou art!!!!!!

Abeg, make we dey enjoy the loot

Ha!!! You too??
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 5:13pm On Feb 22, 2008
FG and NITEL are now acting like grown men.

http://africa.reuters.com/country/NG/news/usnL22865643.html
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by debenzd(f): 5:16pm On Feb 22, 2008
@wANAJO,

I have done some digging up myself. Oando is comig out for a PO this yr. Don't know when though. They also won the one of the shell block. The price high but if person fit collect good =N=50 from d stock, e no bad at all but person go require plenty of wad o for it to be meaningful.

@Aktopgun, how u dey. How Tobechukwu? I no go talk about our teams as oga wanajo don talk . Thanks for d analysis. With Fof2, Aktopgun, WindyWendy + other gurus, all of us go beta well well this yr for NSE.

But like Windy don talk, make u look wifey face o! We no like to be second choice even if plenty money go come.

Cheers
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Omoba3(m): 5:19pm On Feb 22, 2008
pumping777:

Ha!!! You too??

Pumping: No mind WanajO jare, im sef na chief prophet of doom wen im begin warn us of the danger for different stock smiley grin We know you all got our back. Thanks for being your brother's keeper.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 5:20pm On Feb 22, 2008
debenzd:

@wANAJO,

I have done some digging up myself. Oando is comig out for a PO this yr. Don't know when though. They also won the one of the shell block. The price high but if person fit collect good =N=50 from d stock, e no bad at all but person go require plenty of wad o for it to be meaningful.

@Aktopgun, how u dey. How Tobechukwu? I no go talk about our teams as oga wanajo don talk . Thanks for d analysis. With Fof2, Aktopgun, WindyWendy + other gurus, all of us go beta well well this yr for NSE.

But like Windy don talk, make u look wifey face o! We no like to be second choice even if plenty money go come.

Cheers

As per OandO, you dey watch am e dey GO!!!!

pumping777:

Ha!!! You too??

Yes OO, bird no tell bird say stone dey come!!!!!!

Time will come when you will place SELL order and BUYERS no go dey for market. Some have only known a BULLISH market so let's enjoy the feelings. When the tide turns, we go dey lick the wounds also
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 5:21pm On Feb 22, 2008
Omoba3:

Pumping: No mind WanajO jare, im sef na chief prophet of doom when im begin warn us of the danger for different stock smiley grin We know you all got our back. Thanks for being your brother's keeper.

Stock prices na higher, higher, higher, higher, higher, higher,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MrRisky: 5:22pm On Feb 22, 2008
windywendy:

Yes. Rumored at N6/share. So, in my view, any price significantly above the N6 trading range is danger TS territory. Unless you don't mind being caught in TS that is.

Windy, thanks for the response.  But I was thinking you would add some ingredients, like telling us about Deap Capital, what they are into blah,blah its future.  Just in case you know sha.  You know you, Wanajo, Pumping777 have a way of using good technical oyibo to tell us about company "bottomline", "upside" and "topline" etc etc.  Actually, what do you know about this ambitious company.  Please don't feel I am taking you for granted, you have been quite generous to us all.  thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (529) (530) (531) (532) (533) (534) (535) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.