Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,879 members, 7,872,898 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 03:19 AM

Why Has Nigerians Lost The Will To Fight - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Has Nigerians Lost The Will To Fight (2711 Views)

FLASH| 1.4 Million Nigerians Lost Their Jobs In 6 Months Of PMB’s Administration / Nigerians Lost N21m To Burnt Cars Looted And Burnt Shops. / Xenophobia attacks! Nigerians Lost N21m To Burnt Cars Looted And Burnt Shops. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Has Nigerians Lost The Will To Fight by sowura(m): 5:15pm On Oct 07, 2009
Despite the harrowing experience Nigerians face on a daily basis, with all the obvious lies, the impunity with which our National coffers is been looted. with all the different forms of corruption and injustice perpetrated by Nigeria government officials all over the world. even in the face of the reality of the contempt with which Nigerians are held by their so called leaders, with all the efforts of people like the Great late Fela, Gani and other genuine patriotic Nigerians. Nigerians have not been able to find the will to fight as a group devoid of tribalism, religion and other social factor which only serve to polarise the common people. Nigerians would rather face death defying odds to seek greener pastures abroad, they would rather join them because they cant beat them, they would form and join militant groups in other to make a quick buck, they would join yahoo boys 419 etc. Nigerians would rather work at very low paying jobs and pay taxes through their noses and pray to God to release them from their sufferings. they will even collect paltry sums from politicians to cause troubles or vote in a well known thief. in short we will do everything except the only thing that can bring lasting solution to our collective suffering. Now am not talking about the half hearted and infact laughable attempt made by some groups all over the country. WHY HAS NIGERIANS LOST THE WILL TO FIGHT n(not necessarily violently) cry cry cry
Re: Why Has Nigerians Lost The Will To Fight by sowura(m): 5:20pm On Oct 07, 2009
forgot to include that am not in anyway excluding myself from the generalty, my inexplicable powerlesness informed the topic in the first place. i feel so powerless and ashamed, dont know what to do just know something needs to be done urgently
Re: Why Has Nigerians Lost The Will To Fight by yeswecan(m): 6:07pm On Oct 07, 2009
From page one of history book Africans are always scared to die, Our fore fathers are the laziest, how can a hand full number of white men come and take them in their millions (Slave trade) Don't you imagine this, if the the slave brokers had problems with the slave fighting them to death, the trade wouldn't have been that successfully.
Re: Why Has Nigerians Lost The Will To Fight by Fhemmmy: 6:26pm On Oct 07, 2009
Cos we always value what we fighting and see if it worths losing our lives over.
Cos africans dont blv in fighting for the future of their kids, it is all about what is in it for me, and not others.
Re: Why Has Nigerians Lost The Will To Fight by Epiphany(m): 6:39pm On Oct 07, 2009
Psychology is a very stong thing. It governs your emotions and eventually, your actions.

I think that psychologically, Nigerians are tired and frustrated. Instead of fighting, it is easy to either adjust to the bad conditions or leave the country. That is what most people do these days.

Another example is that we have been raped by successive governments. When you continually rape a woman . . . or man, he/she slowly loses the will to live and lives in a state of stupor. I think we are in a state of stupor, where very few people, like the late Gani, Soyinka and others (who are financially, emotionally, etc empowered) still live to continue the fight. These kind of people are few in number to those who are not empowered.
Re: Why Has Nigerians Lost The Will To Fight by spoOne: 7:03pm On Oct 07, 2009
The sad truth is that every post on this topic, thus far, is accurate. But we can’t give up – we must continue to fight in whichever small way, each of us, as individuals or groups, can. There are some bright spots, though minute in the larger scheme of things. We must continue to praise those that see the need to better this country; thru making their local governments better; their states livable and socio-economically progressive; and the country a bit better, in their work of life, than they met it.

We must also not be shy about criticizing those that their main goal is to abscond our treasuries.
Re: Why Has Nigerians Lost The Will To Fight by redsun(m): 7:10pm On Oct 07, 2009
How can they give up when the fight is just starting?This is the beginning,people are becoming aware of their human rights and the atrocities of the leaders,it can't be hidden anymore.

It is an information age,it is time to rise and count the blessings.Anybody that does not know now is cursed for good.
Re: Why Has Nigerians Lost The Will To Fight by conSPIREng(m): 7:30pm On Oct 07, 2009
sowura:

Despite the harrowing experience Nigerians face on a daily basis, with all the obvious lies, the impunity with which our National coffers is been looted. with all the different forms of corruption and injustice perpetrated by Nigeria government officials all over the world. even in the face of the reality of the contempt with which Nigerians are held by their so called leaders, with all the efforts of people like the Great late Fela, Gani and other genuine patriotic Nigerians. Nigerians have not been able to find the will to fight as a group devoid of tribalism, religion and other social factor which only serve to polarise the common people. Nigerians would rather face death defying odds to seek greener pastures abroad, they would rather join them because they cant beat them, they would form and join militant groups in other to make a quick buck, they would join yahoo boys 419 etc. Nigerians would rather work at very low paying jobs and pay taxes through their noses and pray to God to release them from their sufferings. they will even collect paltry sums from politicians to cause troubles or vote in a well known thief. in short we will do everything except the only thing that can bring lasting solution to our collective suffering. Now am not talking about the half hearted and infact laughable attempt made by some groups all over the country. WHY HAS NIGERIANS LOST THE WILL TO FIGHT n(not necessarily violently) cry cry cry

Nigerians just don't see the reason to fight. They believe once they have something to eat, that's all- the ones coming behind should fend for themselves.
This same thought was what spurred me to write this post-http://seunkilanko.com/nigerians-aren%e2%80%99t-we-tired-of-watching/

Epiphany:

Psychology is a very stong thing. It governs your emotions and eventually, your actions.

I think that psychologically, Nigerians are tired and frustrated. Instead of fighting, it is easy to either adjust to the bad conditions or leave the country. That is what most people do these days.

Another example is that we have been despoiled by successive governments. When you continually despoil a woman . . . or man, he/she slowly loses the will to live and lives in a state of stupor. I think we are in a state of stupor, where very few people, like the late Gani, Soyinka and others (who are financially, emotionally, etc empowered) still live to continue the fight. These kind of people are few in number to those who are not empowered.

I don't think it's the issue of being tired but rather they have the culture of enduring hardship such that when something is going wrong with them and it is very obvious, they pretend as if all is well.
They shouldn't be tired because they have never even done anything to free themselves.

redsun:

How can they give up when the fight is just starting?This is the beginning,people are becoming aware of their human rights and the atrocities of the leaders,it can't be hidden anymore.

It is an information age,it is time to rise and count the blessings.Anybody that does not know now is cursed for good.

Don't curse! Take it softly with them.
Re: Why Has Nigerians Lost The Will To Fight by redsun(m): 7:38pm On Oct 07, 2009
No fussing and fighting.Every dog has its day.
Re: Why Has Nigerians Lost The Will To Fight by rethink: 11:35pm On Oct 07, 2009
This is a very good topic it is the bain of our problems.

Fhemmy and yeswecan had part of the perspective. but you see the real game is that a millitant few is what is causing this and that is all you need to counter it.

Our chief had a militant few and they were the ones that facilitated in the sale of their fellow black people. We must understand that our kings and chief and the biggest frauds we had and still have. Majority of them bewitched and cow their citizens into slavery and they sold the strong ones and later finished us off by colonizing us for hundreds of years.

One of the greatest problems of nigeria is not Leadership perse but the real problems is Love.

Our Ethnic leaders dont have love for their own people and visitors. They are not fair minded and are agents of destruction of Nigeria. They have people that they recruit and make them titled Chiefs some of this people are in Administration of resources. These Agents of the kings steal the peoples money and spend it on lavish party for the chieves of their villages and the chieftancy title is given to theis fooolish pun.

When the Pun is caught you will see this same chief coming to the defence of this Pun

Now if you look back from the 3rd paragraph you will notice that the Kings(chieves) innitially were selling their own people for money mirrors schnapps. Now see what is happening the chief is still selling but this time he is selling Acceptances and status. Anyone that brings money stolen or not can by status.

If you look at our schools this same thing is happening in the universities where our students are forming soceities of untouchables. Our lecturers are lifeless they are not challenging figures rather they cripple the students, so that our students have to face 2 evils their fellow students and the teachers that are fustrated.

Some of our lecturers cant lecture in Afghanistan because the book they read were written by illiterates that never went to a formal school.

What we must do is to start from a small beginning but it must be loud and militant.

we have to recruit our citizens into a core we have 36 states in Nigeria.

call in every state 500,000 men and women I belive we have about 13 million men and women.

This will be people that would sign up to a New Nigerian Core

1) They will build new cities
2) roads
3) House
4) Dam for irrigation
5) Farms
6) Securtiy
7) Sanitation
coolHealth care

What they inturn would get is
housing (after year of working they would be given a house)
stippen (money)
feeding (Voucher to eat in a NEW NIGERIAN FOOD CENTER)
Education(they would be taught on field ad giving degrees and certificate)
Food ( they would be given food stuff from the farm to give to their parents)

You will be able to have Psycologist to psyche them up and motivational speakersand preachers that will teach morals in all the camps. I suggest you pick from age of 14 so by the time they are 19 they only know love and work for their fatherland

this is true rebranding.

God bless Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Why Has Nigerians Lost The Will To Fight by Fhemmmy: 3:30am On Oct 08, 2009
@rethink

You cant be more right, however, when you said love, if a man/woman is contesting to lead a nation and yet has no love for that nation, what will you expect from such person, when the love of such people are directed by what they can get from that nation, when the leaders dont even care for the people they are leading, so would that be called leadership? inasmuch as i would love to agree that love is the prob, i will say part of the prob is selfishness, cos it takes someone that is stack selfish to wanna take all the money to belongs to an entire state and stash it away somewhere for himself and his families.
Re: Why Has Nigerians Lost The Will To Fight by Dede1(m): 3:31am On Oct 08, 2009
You are bunch of dreamers. Nigeria lost its innocence to embark on such revolutionary escapade in 1966 when the actions of few brave young men were turned into tribal machinations. Unfortunately, an attempt to ignite change within Nigerian society through the means of social chaos must be viewed through the ethnic prism.
Re: Why Has Nigerians Lost The Will To Fight by Nobody: 3:45am On Oct 08, 2009
You cant lose what you never had.

98% of nigerians have never had a little will to fight for what is right. . . . so how could they have lost the will to fight when they never had it in the first place?

Cowards!
Re: Why Has Nigerians Lost The Will To Fight by Fhemmmy: 3:55am On Oct 08, 2009
nuzo:

You cant lose what you never had.

98% of nigerians have never had a little will to fight for what is right. . . . so how could they have lost the will to fight when they never had it in the first place?

Cowards!

i bet to disagree, if Nigeria never had the will to fight, there wouldnt have been one single coup in nigeria.
However, how do you fight or even protest against a govt that will fire and kill the innocent people, and they careless how many pple are killed as long as they are able to dismantle the boldness in the people.
The govt blvs in kill at sight as long as you are not for them.
So are we really practicing democracy or demonstration of craziness?
Re: Why Has Nigerians Lost The Will To Fight by Nobody: 4:04am On Oct 08, 2009
Fhemmmy:

i bet to disagree, if Nigeria never had the will to fight, there wouldnt have been one single coup in nigeria.
However, how do you fight or even protest against a govt that will fire and kill the innocent people, and they careless how many pple are killed as long as they are able to dismantle the boldness in the people.
The govt blvs in kill at sight as long as you are not for them.
So are we really practicing democracy or demonstration of craziness?

This goes a long way to buttressing my point that most Nigerians are cowards all the way.

Or were you expecting to meet non agressive response from government in case you stand up to fight for good?
Go and check out the history of developed countries and see if they their previous brutish government were giving them tea and bread when they were marching against the unpopular governments.

Disagree all you want but the fact remains that Nigerians are one of the most cowardly set of people in the world.
Re: Why Has Nigerians Lost The Will To Fight by Fhemmmy: 4:11am On Oct 08, 2009
those pple that u talked about, the could see the bigger pix, and that motivated them to fight for what they see, even it was only on papers, but the future, tomorrow is so bleak for nigeria that is almost non-existing.
so how can they fight for what they have no clue of?
Re: Why Has Nigerians Lost The Will To Fight by Nobody: 4:20am On Oct 08, 2009
Fhemmmy:

those pple that u talked about, the could see the bigger pix, and that motivated them to fight for what they see, even it was only on papers, but the future, tomorrow is so bleak for nigeria that is almost non-existing.
so how can they fight for what they have no clue of?

Seeing the bigger picture is one thing, having a WILL to fight for it is another.
And believe me, Nigerians have seen the bigger picture but like every coward; fighting for the so-called bigger picture is a fantasy.

Have in mind that nigerians are one of the most knowledgeable group of people on the planet earth as regards to current affairs, electronics exotic cars etc, so what other bigger picture would they need to see before they can stand up to fight for their common good?
Re: Why Has Nigerians Lost The Will To Fight by Fhemmmy: 4:32am On Oct 08, 2009
Bigger picture of what a peaceful, stress free Nigeria will look like.
I have seen and heard some Nigerians that says, the best fun for them is looking at people rushing molue while in suit.
The bigger pix that you are refering to, to some, it is just suffering and smiling, what is the sense in big cars being driven on messed up roads?
Re: Why Has Nigerians Lost The Will To Fight by Nobody: 4:41am On Oct 08, 2009
Fhemmmy:

Bigger picture of what a peaceful, stress free Nigeria will look like.
I have seen and heard some Nigerians that says, the best fun for them is looking at people rushing molue while in suit.
The bigger pix that you are refering to, to some, it is just suffering and smiling, what is the sense in big cars being driven on messed up roads?

You got me cracking up there. I mean, can you imagine that people actually love the hustle, bustle and sweaty life of Lagos?

But come to think of it, Nigerians seem to be enjoying the suffering and smiling lifestyle because most of them are simply COWARDS!
Re: Why Has Nigerians Lost The Will To Fight by Fhemmmy: 4:55am On Oct 08, 2009
i think some people loves it, not cos they dont want change, but cos some have no clue how to come about the change.
a man that is living in one bedroom, yet married to 2 wives and has 6 kids, all in same room, what will u call that?
Re: Why Has Nigerians Lost The Will To Fight by Kobojunkie: 5:25am On Oct 08, 2009
Fhemmmy:

i think some people loves it, not cos they dont want change, but cos some have no clue how to come about the change.
a man that is living in one bedroom, yet married to 2 wives and has 6 kids, all in same room, what will u call that?

An slowpoke?
Re: Why Has Nigerians Lost The Will To Fight by Onlytruth(m): 8:26am On Oct 08, 2009
Each time Nigeria violently puts down popular dissent -Biafran revolution, student uprising, labor union demonstrations, mass political activism, ethnic uprising, religious uprising etc -  Nigerians cheered their government. In all of these, innocent lives are lost and blood shed. Yet, Nigerians - in their peculiar nondescipt sadistic and narcissistic nonchalance - simply carry on as if nothing happened. "As long as it is not my family, or ethnic group, or religion, or fraternity, then, it must be fair!", they would say.
Until Nigerians start documenting and dragging to justice, all the mass murderers in Nigeria masquerading as leaders; until someone decides to bring them to justice by any means necessary, the murders would never cease and Nigerians would never find the courage to "fight"(demonstrate) for positive change.
Re: Why Has Nigerians Lost The Will To Fight by okuyelu: 8:46am On Oct 08, 2009
@ poster- we have not completely lost it, I had this same arguement with a couple of friends and you'll be amazed what people are doing under ground. We just have to stay focused, united, determined and truthful. we are being robbed day in day out and it cannot continue forever.
Politics isn't all about what we see in the dailies, a million and one things happen and you'll be amazed the amount of decay and corruption in this country of ours.
Re: Why Has Nigerians Lost The Will To Fight by sowura(m): 10:04am On Oct 08, 2009
Going by all the interesting and very intelligent albeit sometimes conflicting response to this post, i guess the question should be "can Nigerians ever stand up to fight together as one?" and if so how can that be jump started. i see that some ppl are totally hopeless in that they do not see any hope for a revolution in Nigeria. i feel powerless right now, but i do have hope that something might spur a mass action in this country. My singular source of hope is that more and more Nigerians are becoming aware and awareness can only empower people.(change can take time) people should open their eyes to the fact that among the so called leaders, tribal, religious or ethinic differences do not even come into play (that is only used when they are not getting a piece of the action) the only religion, tribe, langauge they understand is currency of all forms and shape. so Nigerian masses should stop seeing each other first as yoruba, Tiv, Ibo muslim, christian etc when it comes to issues of national importance. our fore fathers were severely divided in their scramble for each others lands and wealth and the white man came in and exploited the situation by playing them against each other, the corrupt Nigerian leaders are following in their footsteps, they will do anything and everything to sustain this division accross any front. the religious leaders are also not helping matters by appealing to peoples economic conscience and not their social conscience. purely economic conscience can develop a man, but social consciousness develops a nation
Re: Why Has Nigerians Lost The Will To Fight by sowura(m): 10:18am On Oct 08, 2009
Onlytruth:

Each time Nigeria violently puts down popular dissent -Biafran revolution, student uprising, labor union demonstrations, mass political activism, ethnic uprising, religious uprising etc - Nigerians cheered their government. In all of these, innocent lives are lost and blood shed. Yet, Nigerians - in their peculiar nondescipt sadistic and narcissistic nonchalance - simply carry on as if nothing happened. "As long as it is not my family, or ethnic group, or religion, or fraternity, then, it must be fair!", they would say.
Until Nigerians start documenting and dragging to justice, all the mass murderers in Nigeria masquerading as leaders; until someone decides to bring them to justice by any means necessary, the murders would never cease and Nigerians would never find the courage to "fight"(demonstrate) for positive change.

itotally agree with you
Re: Why Has Nigerians Lost The Will To Fight by seyenko(m): 10:51am On Oct 08, 2009
Nigeria is due for a bloody revolution, it is only a bloody revolution that can cleansing the country. I believe history repeats it self, i have not seen a developed country in this world that achieved development without killing off its ruling and elite class. It is the Bolshevik revolution in Russia, or the French revolution, or the American revolution. Coming closer to Africa, it is the Rawlins led revolution in Ghana or the South African battle against apartheid. We need to kill off the ruling class before this country can move forward. Even Fela sang about the reluctance of Nigerians to fight for freedom and justice.
Re: Why Has Nigerians Lost The Will To Fight by Onlytruth(m): 5:23pm On Oct 08, 2009
seyenko:

Nigeria is due for a bloody revolution, it is only a bloody revolution that can cleansing the country. I believe history repeats it self, i have not seen a developed country in this world that achieved development without killing off its ruling and elite class. It is the Bolshevik revolution in Russia, or the French revolution, or the American revolution. Coming closer to Africa, it is the Rawlins led revolution in Ghana or the South African battle against apartheid. We need to kill off the ruling class before this country can move forward. Even Fela sang about the reluctance of Nigerians to fight for freedom and justice.

You have a point here, but there are simpler things that can be done now. We can decide today, to start documenting mass murder in Nigeria, and dragging the perpetrators to justice whether in Nigeria or the International Criminal Court -ICC. I lamented the death of Gani Fawehimi for the simple reason that he was the only courageous Nigerian civil rights lawyer of his time. It is even harder to play that role when you know that Nigeria carries a particular murderous historical antecedent. However, anyone or group can resolve to say NEVER AGAIN. In this resolve, it shouldn't matter whether the victims are BOKO HARAM or MEND. As long as they are captured alive, they should not be summarily executed without court trials and fair hearings. Once we insist on the real rule of law, instead or rule of police or army or SSS; then, we would start seeing a gradual reduction in shoot at sights. We would start reclaiming our rights as the owners of the original mandate. Then, we would regain our authority and willingness "to fight".
Re: Why Has Nigerians Lost The Will To Fight by Dede1(m): 5:40pm On Oct 08, 2009
I had to state unequivocally that any form of bloody revolution in the colonial contraption known as Nigeria would end its existence as a nation. However, such conjectural crap about revolution in Nigeria is a mere lip service. The only feasible revolution in Nigeria is total war of attrition. I am of the view that certain sections of Nigeria would want to fight but only to gain independence or sovereign nation
Re: Why Has Nigerians Lost The Will To Fight by ezeagu(m): 6:00pm On Oct 08, 2009
yeswecan:

From page one of history book Africans are always scared to die, Our fore fathers are the laziest, how can a hand full number of white men come and take them in their millions (Slave trade) Don't you imagine this, if the the slave brokers had problems with the slave fighting them to death, the trade wouldn't have been that successfully.

1. Most African slaves were sold by other Africans.

2. There were many fights and revolts against slave catchers, but obviously the slave catchers came better prepared.

3. The trade was successful because a lot of Africans wanted it to be successful.
Re: Why Has Nigerians Lost The Will To Fight by Kobojunkie: 6:07pm On Oct 08, 2009
* Our forefathers were not lazy, they actually helped capture and sell their own neighbors into slavery.

* The white man could not have been able to get into the inland if not aided by the Africans who willingly went inland to capture and kidnap fellow Africans whom they sold into slavery

* Many of the White men, who made it inland, were offered slaves for batter by local village chiefs and heads

* Slaves captured during wars were quickly sold off by Africans to white slave masters in exchange for gun powder, mirrors and guns.

Re: Why Has Nigerians Lost The Will To Fight by bidemi12(m): 6:55pm On Oct 08, 2009
Please poster define "fight"
Re: Why Has Nigerians Lost The Will To Fight by Fhemmmy: 7:16pm On Oct 08, 2009
bidemi12:

Please poster define "fight"

i am sure his "fight" could mean anything.
Could be as ordinary as a march to Aso Rock.
Could be to make things hard for the govt to operate.
Could be as bad as carrying guns to liberate the people from Civil slavery.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

NECO Suspends SSS Exams In Edo State / Ex Governor Abubakar Audu Renders Wife And Kids Homeless In Sub-zero Temperature / A Comparison Of Buhari's 'violations' In Nigeria's Political History

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.