Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,691 members, 7,979,328 topics. Date: Saturday, 19 October 2024 at 06:32 AM

Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available - Health (30) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available (657231 Views)

Ola Orekunrin, The Youngest Doctor In England At Age 21 / Doctor In The House: Free Medical Advice Available / Pharmacist In The House:free Medicines Advice Available (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (306) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by sparta(f): 4:25pm On Apr 29, 2009
[b]Hi doc,
the staph is in his semen.
Thanks

Staph in the semen for 7 years? I smell misdiagnosis somewhere.
Microbiologically, the semen is normally sterile, but infection with hardly culturable organisms like Chlamydia, trichomonas, neisseria, and urealyticum could give an irritating sensation.

Unfortunately, when a swab of the semen or urethral is taken, and cultured on routine media such as chocolate or blood agar, these pathogens just don't grown. In place of these pathogens, Staph. aureus or epi. simply grow and swarm the culture plate.

The staph may be a contamination from the semen, the culture media, or even from the air in the lab. So, treating staph repeatedly for 7 years without understanding this principle leaves the original pathogens intact, and the patient frustrated.

In my practice, I will focus attention on one of the 4 pathogens by sending for serology, specialized culture/microbiology, or even treating emprically.
Posted on: Yesterday at 05:03:45 PMPosted by: sparta [/b] Hi again doc,

Can please speak english? These terms are medical jargons i think. Please what should he do? In english please.
Thanks
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by naijaking1: 4:51pm On Apr 29, 2009
sparta:

Posted on: Yesterday at 05:03:45 PMPosted by: sparta [/b] Hi again doc,

Can please speak english? These terms are medical jargons i think. Please what should he do? In english please.
Thanks

Whether your friend has staph or not is no reason for being rude to someone providing you with free medical advice. Medical jargon, or lack of english depends on your level of education, if yours is not high enough, then a polite explanation would be in order. You can give your friend or your doctor my write-up, maybe someone would understand what I mean.

1 Like

Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by naijaking1: 4:55pm On Apr 29, 2009
kunmibola:

Hi Doc,
i need your quick response on this. i have a very pretty lady as fiancee bu t the big but is she has brown teeth from birth. we have started looking for way out of this. can you render any assistance. Thanks and God bless.

Some antibiotics taken by pregnant women have been know to discolor their children's teeth, also, another class of antibiotics taken by children less than 14 years old tend to 'brown' their teeth. Sometimes, these teeth are replaced in adulthood. You could post in the dental section for a dentist's opinion on this issue.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Balogun(m): 7:54pm On Apr 29, 2009
Well done naijaking. There is this fallacy about staph in semen. No matter how many times doctors tell people about the fact that it is a contamination from the skin, there are some charlatans out there that keep diagnosing this.
Sparta read the first line. It is a misdiagnosis. End of story!!!!
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by naijaking1: 6:34am On Apr 30, 2009
Thank you, Dr. Balogun
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by sparta(f): 8:56am On Apr 30, 2009
At doc,

I am reallly sorry you misunderstood me. What i meant by english please does not imply you dont speak english or your grammar is incorrect. What you wrote is absolutely correct medically. However, to a lay man medical terms (jargon) does not make much sense. I only meant please explain in alay man language. If i go to the hospital and a doctor tells me all these things i will say the same thing. please i really apologise, i dont mean any harm at all.

it will be higly unfair if am rude to you because you are doing me a favour, if i have to go to the hospital i will definitely have to pay.

Thanks again
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by shilees(f): 3:14pm On Apr 30, 2009
Doctor my friend says his genotype is SA is it possible? am really bothered can u tell me if it's true?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by shilees(f): 3:15pm On Apr 30, 2009
i knw we av AA,AS,SS not heard about SA in my life
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by eljp(m): 4:24pm On Apr 30, 2009
Hi Doc.
Everytime we had sex with my friend, she will always take ampiclox 500mg tab after the sex and drink plenty of cold water. she said it prevent her from getting pregnant, please advice me will that ampiclox not affect her? what is the effect on her?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by dominique(f): 8:10pm On Apr 30, 2009
shilees:

i knw we av AA,AS,SS not heard about SA in my life

nor have i. what i hear frequently is the SC and AC genotypes. some medical professionals have squashed the rumours that they exist. nut i worked in a medical lab and we recorded the rare SC genotype once but never AC.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by BraveMc: 8:33pm On Apr 30, 2009
Hi all,
I notice some black spots around my testicles like god marks or moles yesterday. Knowin I had unprotected sex with my girl several times about a month ago and jus recently I started noticing dis black spots. Could this be an STD? cus I'm kinda worried and I nid advice and help concernin dis ASAP. . . .Thanx
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by dominique(f): 8:54pm On Apr 30, 2009
Brave Mc:

Hi all,
I notice some black spots around my testicles like god marks or moles yesterday. Knowin I had unprotected sex with my girl several times about a month ago and jus recently I started noticing dis black spots. Could this be an STD? cus I'm kinda worried and I nid advice and help concernin dis ASAP. . . .Thanx

is it painful or itchy. it could be a false alarm but i suggest you consult a doctor get some tests done ASAP.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by BraveMc: 10:24am On May 01, 2009
dominique:

is it painful or itchy. it could be a false alarm but i suggest you consult a doctor get some tests done ASAP.

Yea it is kinda painful though like it is burning and yea it itchy's some times, kinda findin it hard scratchin it cuz I'm afraid of scratchin it. I went to see a phamacist yesterday and complained to him, he gave me an injection and some drugs which is Erythromycin Stearate and another kinda drug. I dont know whats wrong but will the drugs work or help? cuz this is my second day of dosage and I'm still feeling the same way. Thanx
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by dominique(f): 11:41am On May 01, 2009
guy its your health you're playing with sad. you really need to know whats wrong before treating it. you cant just go to a random pharmacist and get a prescription to something you dont know. it can cause more complications.

why not chew garlic, its a natural antibiotic and its sort of boosts your immune system. if you can stand the stench wink. you still need to get a medical opinion tho.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by allycat: 10:27pm On May 03, 2009
Hi Docs, I noticed Naijakings response to Sparta on the issue of medical jsrgon. We doctors ( am one of you- a surgeon also) have spent so long speaking our own special language that we often dont realise that the rest of the world dont understand us. I keep trying to teach my residents to speak plain English to payients cos I realized that many pts leave the consulting room confused. Even a simple prescription that we all understand looks like gibberish to the average man on the road. Dont be too hard on him, just remember next time you reply a pt or speak to one that what we speak is actually a whole new language that took us at least 6 years to learn.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by kathyekiti: 3:28am On May 05, 2009
@allycat

I believe Naijaking was taking issue to the "speak English" comment by Sparta. That comment was unquestionably, albeit unintentionally, rude. The issue of speaking in layman's terms is a separate issue. Naijaking is not a medical student and am sure quite capable of communicating with his patients without difficulty.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by BraveMc: 10:35am On May 05, 2009
dominique:

guy its your health you're playing with sad. you really need to know whats wrong before treating it. you cant just go to a random pharmacist and get a prescription to something you dont know. it can cause more complications.

why not chew garlic, its a natural antibiotic and its sort of boosts your immune system. if you can stand the stench wink. you still need to get a medical opinion tho.

I went to see a doctor on saturday and I feel much better now, the spots are reducin and I'm no longer feelin any pain or itchin. Thanx 4 ya help, I rily do appreciate it.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by naijaking1: 7:35pm On May 05, 2009
sparta:

At doc,
I am reallly sorry you misunderstood me. What i meant by english please does not imply you dont speak english or your grammar is incorrect. What you wrote is absolutely correct medically. However, to a lay man medical terms (jargon) does not make much sense. I only meant please explain in alay man language. If i go to the hospital and a doctor tells me all these things i will say the same thing. please i really apologise, i dont mean any harm at all.

it will be higly unfair if am rude to you because you are doing me a favour, if i have to go to the hospital i will definitely have to pay.

Thanks again

Apologies accepted!
A knowledgable doctor is all your friend needs, good luck.

allycat:

Hi Docs, I noticed Naijakings response to Sparta on the issue of medical jsrgon. We doctors ( am one of you- a surgeon also) have spent so long speaking our own special language that we often dont realise that the rest of the world dont understand us. I keep trying to teach my residents to speak plain English to payients cos I realized that many pts leave the consulting room confused. Even a simple prescription that we all understand looks like gibberish to the average man on the road. Dont be too hard on him, just remember next time you reply a pt or speak to one that what we speak is actually a whole new language that took us at least 6 years to learn.
Your medical school advice is noted.
With almost 2000 posts to my credit, and most of them dedicated to free medical advice on this forum, I'm not disturbed that this is the only patient complaining about my communication skills. So far, you have only 7.
Multi-modal communication is one thing, and outright abuse of your healthcare provider is another. I can differentiate them on this forum.

kathyekiti:

@allycat

I believe Naijaking was taking issue to the "speak English" comment by Sparta. That comment was unquestionably, albeit unintentionally, rude. The issue of speaking in layman's terms is a separate issue. Naijaking is not a medical student and am sure quite capable of communicating with his patients without difficulty.
Thank you Dr. Kathy.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by allycat: 8:00am On May 07, 2009
Naijaking I appologise for having the effontry to give you unsolicited advice. I promise it will never happen again. After all you have soo many post 2000 and I have only seven (Sorry make that 8 now) . It was my mistake to assume that as collegues we could post civily to one another. Once again my most sincere appology. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Dr Kathy I never said the comment was not rude all I asked for was a little empathy.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Balogun(m): 1:05pm On May 07, 2009
Allycat on behalf of the docs here we have accepted sparta's apology and now yours. Lets move on with giving what we do here. Good medical advice. Dont forget people, we do this for free in our own spare time. Bear with us and as allycat said a bit of civility from those we give advice to.
As a little aside to cheer people up, I saw Dr Balogun mentioned in Chimamanda Adichie's new book. Brought smile to my face. Do you think she has been on nairaland and been posting with pseudonym grin
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by MaiSuya(m): 3:34pm On May 07, 2009
lol!  ;d
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by kathyekiti: 1:23am On May 08, 2009
@ Dr. balogun
I second the motion,lol. Allycat your comments and posts will always be welcome, sarcastic or otherwise. Free forumsmiley
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by naijaking1: 8:21pm On May 08, 2009
Yes, let's move on with helping folks.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by LadyM1: 9:36pm On May 09, 2009
pls doctor in d house, i was told i av a fabroid in d womb n outside d womb. wat re my chances of getting preg?
secondly i've done series of test n examinatn by my present doctor. i tot i've missed my period because i had few days lateness / delay. am yet to see my doctor because am nt hapi. my age is nt helping matter either as well.

pls wat is ur advice on dis?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by LAMESKI: 10:38pm On May 09, 2009
THANKS FOR VOLUNTEERING.

MY SON HAD JAUNDICE AND TAKEN TO A MEDICAL DOCTOR. SUPRISINGLY, THE DOCTOR SAID IT WAS IMPOSSIBLE TO CURE AND THAT I SHOULD TAKE HIM TO LUTH FOR BLOOD TRANSFUSION. DOES IT MEAN THAT THERE IS NO CURE FOR JAUNDICED CHILDREN? ALREADY THE BOY HAS GOTTEN BETTER.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by naijaking1: 11:15pm On May 09, 2009
LAMESKI:

THANKS FOR VOLUNTEERING.

MY SON HAD JAUNDICE AND TAKEN TO A MEDICAL DOCTOR. SUPRISINGLY, THE DOCTOR SAID IT WAS IMPOSSIBLE TO CURE AND THAT I SHOULD TAKE HIM TO LUTH FOR BLOOD TRANSFUSION. DOES IT MEAN THAT THERE IS NO CURE FOR JAUNDICED CHILDREN? ALREADY THE BOY HAS GOTTEN BETTER.

Many things could cause jaundice in a boy, but without knowing his age, and getting a little bit more history, it's impossible to give you detailed advice. Some causes of jaundice in children include, but not limited to abnormal development of bile drainage system, hemoglobin diseases, inherited genetic disorders, and ingestion of certain substances. The answer to your question lies on what your M.D thinks is causing your child's jaundice.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by naijaking1: 11:18pm On May 09, 2009
Lady M:

pls doctor in d house, i was told i av a fabroid in d womb n outside d womb. wat re my chances of getting preg?
secondly i've done series of test n examinatn by my present doctor. i tot i've missed my period because i had few days lateness / delay. am yet to see my doctor because am nt hapi. my age is nt helping matter either as well.

pls wat is ur advice on dis?
I would refer you Dr. Kathy's section on Ob/Gyne, she is the best we have around here. And when you present your case, remember the more detailed and clear you history, the more you're likely to get our of her consultation.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by LadyM1: 10:08pm On May 11, 2009
tnx i actually av mailed to dr ketty already. i guess just needed an answer fast. anyway tnx
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Balogun(m): 10:31pm On May 11, 2009
Dr Kathy and Naijaking, October will probably be my next visit to your beautiful city. Let you know the dates. Probably stay a week. When confirmed, it would be my pleasure to take you great people out for dinner. We could put all the wrongs in the world to right over dinner smiley
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by netriches: 10:51pm On May 11, 2009
Thanks Dr. This is wonderful!
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by naijaking1: 1:21am On May 12, 2009
Balogun:

Dr Kathy and Naijaking, October will probably be my next visit to your beautiful city. Let you know the dates. Probably stay a week. When confirmed, it would be my pleasure to take you great people out for dinner. We could put all the wrongs in the world to right over dinner smiley
Great news grin
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by phoenixy1: 4:13am On May 12, 2009
Hey guys,

Heard about the Tree of Life? Its here in Nigeria and every where.

If you take this regularly, you will never need to see a doctor for the rest of your life.

Look it up here too>> www.moringa4you.com

Its not my business but I think its a fantastic discovery for Nigerians

www.moringa4you.com

Long live Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (306) (Reply)

How Can I Get Rid Of Black Spots On My Face? / Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology / How Do I Calculate My Safe Period?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.