Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,266 members, 7,940,031 topics. Date: Wednesday, 04 September 2024 at 03:55 PM

Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available - Health (48) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available (652544 Views)

Ola Orekunrin, The Youngest Doctor In England At Age 21 / Doctor In The House: Free Medical Advice Available / Pharmacist In The House:free Medicines Advice Available (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) ... (306) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by MrKelly: 4:16pm On Dec 03, 2009
@Naijaking & other doctors in the house,

I will appreciate your response on my last post here.

Thanks.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by ubiaa5(f): 5:26pm On Dec 03, 2009
@naijaking thanks for the good work,ive reported to admin about the lost posts i hope something gets done.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by naijaking1: 11:12pm On Dec 03, 2009
Mr Kelly:

Our 6 weeks old baby sucks very hard to the extent that my wife's nipples became sore. It hurts whenever she breast feeds. Someone recommended Kamilosan cream but we've searched all pharmacy shops we know without any luck. Does anyone in the house know where I can get this cream? I will also appreciate an alternative solution to this problem.

Thanks fore your anticipated assistance on this.
Babys who are hungry, male-sex, and excited are more likely to be the ones complaining of sucking "too hard", but every baby could do it. Feeding babies at short regular intervals and calming them down tend to assure them that the "food" is not going away, and infact there's enough. There're many psychological learning curves new babies and mothers need to cover during breast feeding, and believe me the mother's experience or lack of it has little to do with this condition, every child is different.
Kamilosan is simply a chamomile extract(I don't know the Nigerian equivalent), but it's very soothing to inflammed and irritated tissue. The extract is more effective than hydrocortisone cream, which can be used occassionally in the absence of kamilosan. Also, with time your wife may develop actual skin infection from fungal and staph infections. If this happens, especially the staph infection, she may develope pain, swelling, and even fever that may interfer with feeding. Your wife could apply topical bacitracin ointment to the breast 3-4 times a week to reduce the chances of staph infection.
I don't know if they have certified breast feeding nurse experts where you're, but you should have your Ob/Gyne or pediatrician check her breast regularly, because future fungal infection may cause some "unpleasant discoloration" and your wife needs to be reassured and treated appropriately. Eventually, experts don't recommend stopping breast feeding no matter what ointment you have applied.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by naijaking1: 11:13pm On Dec 03, 2009
ubiaa5:

@naijaking thanks for the good work,ive reported to admin about the lost posts i hope something gets done.

If you're in the US or UK, you should really consider being evaluated for the Greenfield filter. Good luck.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by MrKelly: 11:31pm On Dec 03, 2009
Thanks a bunch Naijaking. U're indeed a Godsent.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by utimayor(m): 11:43pm On Dec 03, 2009
uti-mayor:

pls i have this 'skin discoloration' permit my words but this thing doesn't act like eczema, i have tried treating it for close to two year now, but the thing simply increases and now, it has covered my back and my chest down to my belly and its proceeding towards my arms and neck, pls Dr i am very sceared! what could this be? the last treatment was nizoral tablets which i took for 30 straight days without even any sign of improvement(recommended by a physician). also, my scrotum ( below, the part that laps with the thighs) bring out a bad odour that smells like wasted sperms, it happens as if the sperm comes out of the scrotum through osmosis ( pls permit my language, just trying to elaborate how i feel) and the smell is terrible, pls Dr.s i need your help i am afraid, is anything bad wrong with me? though when i was just about 13-17, my scrotum used to stick to my thighs when the weather is hot and i an a bit damp under there. please i need help. what should i do? waiting to here from you. i have posted this before but got no reply.
pls any help for me?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by naijaking1: 11:52pm On Dec 03, 2009
Mr Kelly:

Thanks a bunch Naijaking. U're indeed a Godsent.
You're quite welcome. Good luck to you and your young family.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by skimpyjoy: 11:03am On Dec 04, 2009
Dr, I went for a PID test when I started havivg private discharge,ithcing and pain during sex, it was confirmed that I had it. Since Jan I have being treating this PID but I stopped in Oct when I couldnot see any positive result and I was pissed off.

The height of it all now is that I am growing thinner everyday,hardly remember things, pivate discharge and the lower part of my stomach keeps paining me.

About the stomach someone said I should go for wilder test.

Dr, pls help.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by dominique(f): 1:43pm On Dec 04, 2009
naijaking1:

@ubiaa5 and others
I see you had a post that's probably missing too. I know that a very detailed technical response I gave to your question about DVT was swallowed up by somebody, something, somewhere.
Unfortunately, as Dr. Balogun and other physicians contributing their time and energy to provide free medical advice on this forum have observed, [b]everything started immediately a moderator was appointed for this forum, and also once the moderator is online, posts begin to disappear. Appointing a non-physician moderator to moderate responses made by physicians obviously is not the smartest idea, and hasn't been shown to work. [/b]It's like asking an illitrate to moderate a debating championship by college students.
While, we wait, wait, and wait for our posts to make it for the benefit of our patients on this thread, I urge you to petition the moderator, administrator, and Seun, because this can't go on for too long.
Time is money.

exactly what are you insinuating? it's the moderator that's making the posts disappear? what part of the spam bots issue don't you understand. the software removes certain posts at will, that's why i opened the complaints thread for member to lodge complaints about this particular issue. even the moderators are not immune to the spam bots, it removes posts at will and only the admin can restore the posts. i don't know how many times i've explained this on the complaints thread, but you just chose to ignore. pls stick to your medical advice and stop misleading people about things you don't know.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Balogun(m): 2:54pm On Dec 04, 2009
Now now Dominique, a bit of raw nerve has been touched here!! As I said in the past we managed well without lost replies before advent of moderator. We are just a bit concerned that with the moderator present a lot of replies have gone missing. We give our time here for free and I despite my long experience in medicine enjoy reading replies by kathyekiti and naijaking. I get frustrated when I see last post belonging to naijaking and find the post is not on the thread. Our time is precious and we donate it for free. All you have to see is what chaos ensured with absence of kathyekiti for few months. We will give our replies as always and you sort out the IT bit to avoid frustration on all sides. The people asking our advice, us doctors and people wanting to read the advice
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by dominique(f): 3:30pm On Dec 04, 2009
Dr Balogun
i really appreciate the efforts you and the other doctors put in the advice threads. i'm just not comfortable with the accusations naijaking1 is making against me. why would i remove valuable posts from the thread? maybe its a coincidence that the spam bots were introduced around the time i became the moderator here. thats not enough to jump to that kind of conclusion. i will keep reporting missing posts to the admin, and if they dont show up, i'm afraid there's not much i can do about that.
i apologise on behalf on the spambots. hope it wont let you relent on your efforts, i know it gets frustrating at times.
cheers.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by naijaking1: 6:45pm On Dec 04, 2009
dominique:

exactly what are you insinuating? it's the moderator that's making the posts disappear? what part of the spam bots issue don't you understand. the software removes certain posts at will, that's why i opened the complaints thread for member to lodge complaints about this particular issue. even the moderators are not immune to the spam bots, it removes posts at will and only the admin can restore the posts. i don't know how many times i've explained this on the complaints thread, but you just chose to ignore. pls stick to your medical advice and stop misleading people about things you don't know.

There's no question that a temporal correlation exists between your arrival as a moderator, your daily online presence, and the disappearance of our professional posts. Also, I don't think you have any business moderating any of my medical posts, that of Dr. Balogun, or Dr. Kathy, because you're not a physician.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by dominique(f): 12:12pm On Dec 05, 2009
naijaking1:

There's no question that a temporal correlation exists between your arrival as a moderator, your daily online presence, and the disappearance of our professional posts. Also, I don't think you have any business moderating any of my medical posts, that of Dr. Balogun, or Dr. Kathy, because you're not a physician.

thats why its called the "health" section and not "medical" section. and you dont have to be a professional to moderate any section. Richyblack moderates politics, does that make him a politician?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by naijaking1: 5:39pm On Dec 05, 2009
dominique:

thats why its called the "health" section and not "medical" section. and you dont have to be a professional to moderate any section. Richyblack moderates politics, does that make him a politician?

I did not say you shouldn't moderate the health or even medical section, I only said you shouldn't and can't moderate my professional medical posts, because you don't understand it from a doctor's point of view. Discussions in the political section are very different from this medical advice section, so your comparison is totally false. In fact, I write in the 2 different sections using 2 different persona. Once again, you can only moderate a topic you understand.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by kathyekiti: 8:10am On Dec 06, 2009
Hello!  While I understand that emotions are running high and without sounding maternalistic, (i obviously can't be paternalistic) may I suggest private exchanges on this topic.  Ms. Dominique, I sent you one.  P.s. Ms Dominique is in the health field.  She is in laboratory science so she does have a medical background of sorts.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by dominique(f): 11:29pm On Dec 06, 2009
thanks Dr Kathy, i've replied you on the issue.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by naijaking1: 2:39pm On Dec 07, 2009
kathyekiti:

Hello! While I understand that emotions are running high and without sound maternalistic, (i obviously can't be paternalistic) may I suggest private exchanges on this topic. Ms. Dominique, I sent you one. P.s. Ms Dominique is in the health field. She is in laboratory science so she does have a medical background of sorts.

Hie, I'm all for it.
I have the highest respect for medical laboratory scientists, I am one. As an associate of the institute of med. lab. scientists(bacteriology) who moved on to other aspects of medicine, I have a good understanding of what's going on.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by banix: 9:34am On Dec 08, 2009
Compliment of the season Doc, thanks so much for being there for nairalanders. My own question is if somebody is diabetic what do you think is the best way to manage it, do you think its advisable to use tradition herb to control it, or can you suggest a permanent solution to the ailment instead of of just controlling the sugar level .
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by naijaking1: 2:49pm On Dec 08, 2009
banix:

Compliment of the season Doc, thanks so much for being there for nairalanders. My own question is if somebody is diabetic what do you think is the best way to manage it, do you think its advisable to use tradition herb to control it, or can you suggest a permanent solution to the ailment instead of of just controlling the sugar level .

At this time, 2009, controlling the blood sugar level is the only way of managing diabetes. I don't have enough information about traditional herbs used to control the disease, so I can't recommend it. In the US, and possibly other developed countries, some type of diabetes have been cured with pancreatic/liver transplant. Weight loss, and dietary control have been also noted to have cured some type of diabetes. Most diabetes management depend on replacing insulin or making the available insulin work better.
Anybody who discovers a 'cure' for diabetes would certainly be a candidate for the Nobel prize.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by malaika(f): 1:56pm On Dec 10, 2009
::
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by utimayor(m): 11:20pm On Dec 17, 2009
i am still hanging around for help, lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by U1(m): 4:24pm On Dec 18, 2009
Greetings to the doctors, I must say you are doing a great job in here. Just want to ask for an idea of what could probably be wrong with me and, probably, the treatments.

I have been experiencing this problem of rather too much sweating for as long as I can remember, usually after just little exertion. And on top of that, I do become easily fatigued these days. Please if this little information would help, can you give me an idea of what could be wrong and probable treatment or steps to take. Thank you.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by jowel31: 7:17am On Dec 19, 2009
i really need your help a few months ago i strained my self using ankle weights and my left testicle got bigger and the right one got smaller at first it pain me but it stop now and my testicle never went back to normal how can i fix this
please help

thank you
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Princezo: 8:11pm On Dec 22, 2009
Compliments of the season Doc. I am a middle aged man, graduate and overweight. My problem is am experiencing intermittent back pain (mainly at the waist but atimes at the upper & middle spine). I have been to a consultant hospital, where after xray was informed it might be osteoarthritis.
My greatest worry is that my father is currently bedridden. What can i do now to avoid future paralysis? (2) Do these herbal slimmers (like Quincy, ayodele et al) work? as i intend shedding 20kg
Thanks
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by asticks(m): 12:44pm On Dec 23, 2009
Hi Balogun, was wondering if you could help. I have been having some funny looking boils, they start out like blisters (transparent with the white pus) and they are very painful, the surrounding area is also turns hard and is also painful. They seem to be concentrated in my thigh area, i currently have the third one.

When i had the first one i saw a pharmacists who recommended i buy ampiclux, which i used every eight hours or was it six for 5 days, but i a still having them.

Please help.

Thanks
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by enniegal23: 1:33pm On Dec 25, 2009
Please Doctor,can I have some advice on Osteoathritis.I have had a dislocation on muy right knee for a long time, At a time I was perfectly alright but as years came by, I started having pains on the knee cap internally, Some doctors says it needs treatment some say surgery, cos the knee is a bit restricted to a certain limit, When I am walking ,I hear and feel alot of popping and locking, I used to be an athlete and when I try to jog sometimes,knee feels like its about to give way, Please Doctor whats your advice on this, Will be waiting and hoping to hear from you soon, My name is Mary, thank you,
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Babakunle1: 12:16pm On Dec 29, 2009
Please do any know anti biotic that can be used to kill bacteria infections like STIs, STD, i mean immediately after sexual intercourse
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by DicksonDonny(m): 10:15am On Dec 30, 2009
Please i really like to know, does hairloss(bald hair) really have a cure?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by LagosStat: 1:04pm On Dec 30, 2009
Hi Doctor,

My wife's menstrual dates are:

2nd August-2009
2nd September 2009
30th September2009
23rd October 2009
22nd November 2009
22nd December 2009

Please advice on her probable Ovulation dates in

Jaunary 2010
February 2010
March 2010

Thank you very much.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by naijaking1: 8:37pm On Jan 01, 2010
U1:

Greetings to the doctors, I must say you are doing a great job in here. Just want to ask for an idea of what could probably be wrong with me and, probably, the treatments.

I have been experiencing this problem of rather too much sweating for as long as I can remember, usually after just little exertion. And on top of that, I do become easily fatigued these days. Please if this little information would help, can you give me an idea of what could be wrong and probable treatment or steps to take. Thank you.

Sweating during exertion is actually normal and expected. We need more information about your fatigue to give you any useful advice.

jowel31:

i really need your help a few months ago i strained my self using ankle weights and my left testicle got bigger and the right one got smaller at first it pain me but it stop now and my testicle never went back to normal how can i fix this
please help

thank you

You should be evaluated for hernia.

Princezo:

Compliments of the season Doc. I am a middle aged man, graduate and overweight. My problem is am experiencing intermittent back pain (mainly at the waist but atimes at the upper & middle spine). I have been to a consultant hospital, where after xray was informed it might be osteoarthritis.
My greatest worry is that my father is currently bedridden. What can i do now to avoid future paralysis? (2) Do these herbal slimmers (like Quincy, ayodele et al) work? as i intend shedding 20kg
Thanks

There is no doubt that some weight loss would help reduce pain and pressure on your joints, expecially if you have osteoarthritis. Also consider some non-steroidal anti-inflammatory druds like ibuprofen for temporary reflief of symptoms, but you must be cautioned about the side effects. If you take the drugs with food and drink plenty of water these side effects are usually less.

asticks:

Hi Balogun, was wondering if you could help. I have been having some funny looking boils, they start out like blisters (transparent with the white pus) and they are very painful, the surrounding area is also turns hard and is also painful. They seem to be concentrated in my thigh area, i currently have the third one.

When i had the first one i saw a pharmacists who recommended i buy ampiclux, which i used every eight hours or was it six for 5 days, but i a still having them.

Please help.

Thanks

----sorry, wait for Dr. Balogun.

enniegal23:

Please Doctor,can I have some advice on Osteoathritis.I have had a dislocation on muy right knee for a long time, At a time I was perfectly alright but as years came by, I started having pains on the knee cap internally, Some doctors says it needs treatment some say surgery, cos the knee is a bit restricted to a certain limit, When I am walking ,I hear and feel alot of popping and locking, I used to be an athlete and when I try to jog sometimes,knee feels like its about to give way, Please Doctor whats your advice on this, Will be waiting and hoping to hear from you soon, My name is Mary, thank you,

Osteoarthritis or wear and tear arthritis is common in people like yourself who have used their joints extensively in the past. See, the comment I made about ibuprofen above. It could provide temporary relief, other definitive treatment include orthopedic surgery in the future.

Baba kunle:

Please do any know anti biotic that can be used to kill bacteria infections like STIs, STD, i mean immediately after sexual intercourse

There is no recommended antibiotic that could kill all concievable pathogen that are potentially transmisible sexually. Use condom.

DicksonDonny:

Please i really like to know, does hairloss(bald hair) really have a cure?

There are many symptomatic treatments for hair-loss, but there is no cure as of yet, because the condition is both genetic, physiologic, and cytologic.

Lagos_Stat:

Hi Doctor,

My wife's menstrual dates are:

2nd August-2009
2nd September 2009
30th September2009
23rd October 2009
22nd November 2009
22nd December 2009

Please advice on her probable Ovulation dates in

Jaunary 2010
February 2010
March 2010

Thank you very much.

Try posting this one for Dr. Kathy, Ob/Gyne.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by utimayor(m): 10:02pm On Jan 01, 2010
naijaking pls answer me cry, i have been hanging around here for months, i am confused and waiting for you. thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) ... (306) (Reply)

How Can I Get Rid Of Black Spots On My Face? / Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology / How Do I Calculate My Safe Period?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.