Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,716 members, 7,882,432 topics. Date: Sunday, 07 July 2024 at 04:29 AM

How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? (12713 Views)

The Most Expensive Garden Street In Owerri / Is Nigeria A Visa-free Country To Gambia With My Nigerian Ecowas Passport? / Is Nigeria A Good Place To Live? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by otokx(m): 6:06pm On Nov 23, 2009
Am so ashamed of the responses am seeing here, this is a case of poverty mentality. Do they pluck money from trees in Europe? When my friends come in for the holidays its just so that we can mingle and have fun. In fact most of them, their parents send them ticket money to and fro so the case of bringing in plenty money just does not arise. How will Nigeria prosper when some of you guys in the diaspora come back and consume 200k in less than 3 weeks. That is giving a wrong impression and encouraging laziness.
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by DisGuy: 6:20pm On Nov 23, 2009
otokx:

Am so ashamed of the responses am seeing here, this is a case of poverty mentality. Do they pluck money from trees in Europe? When my friends come in for the holidays its just so that we can mingle and have fun. In fact most of them, their parents send them ticket money to and fro so the case of bringing in plenty money just does not arise. How will Nigeria prosper when some of you guys in the diaspora come back and consume 200k in less than 3 weeks. That is giving a wrong impression and encouraging laziness.

well you cant blame them, there so much pressure to 'represent' and avoid the stingy tag. Funy thing is when you go for holidays somewhere else, say, NY, dubai, spain, france etc you hard spend this much and even if you do you
spend it on yourselve, in fact you can pick up your laptop and buy a ticket for weekend away in another country BUT budgeting for naija is something else entirely!!
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by mamagee3(f): 6:52pm On Nov 23, 2009
Much more than your ancestors could imagine. cool
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by tolly4real(f): 8:22pm On Nov 23, 2009
going to 9ja is nt so easy. i went to 9ja in April and i took $2000 with me, my brother believe me u. the day i was suppose to travel back i still ve $800 with me. Cos i didnt dash money i had 4 luggage. I will rather pay for excess luggage than going to distrubute money cos most of them wont be content with the money, they prefer dollarama tshirt. Just let them know u re a student and tell dem u dnt ve much cash dnt be asham to tell dem that.
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by Pharoh: 8:42pm On Nov 23, 2009
too_soon:

He own his family and friends more than that N200k, so he should stay back and work more.

Let us leave the family aside because that is not contestable but let us move to the friends.

Please can you tell me on what ground does he owe his friends any amount of money? The best you can do is to reward the people who have been helpful to you before leaving Nigeria and when you were abroad. He can also help others he holds in high regard and then any other one is not compulsory.

Chuks84:

Oga pharaoh, e be like say u stingy well well. i dont know wch part of the country u r from but pls refrain from telling this guy to come home with just 200k, it might work for you because u r a miser. no matter how he avoids it, he will feel obliged to splash some money around, and not to mention, things are not as cheap as they were when he was in the country.

You say i stingy right and those people are not stingy as well? undecided. You called me a miser because you don't know me thanks to the keyboard anyway. Only if you know what i have impacted in peoples life. Life abroad is not how you see it so try to differentiate people who make easy and hard earned money next time.
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by snowdrops(m): 9:04pm On Nov 23, 2009
People are slowly missing the point here. Just like some threads on this forum its turned to recriminations.
The question was and is "how expensive is Nigeria at present?"
Not an opportunity to make accusations and counter accusations
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by lorebobo(f): 9:17pm On Nov 23, 2009
hackney:

@poster

My friend if you are a student dont stress yourself because if someone refuses to understand that,
then they dont deserve a penny from you.

In imo state ,things are not that expensive. if you need to take friends out in owerri just take them
to Dan Anyiam. It's bustling and they have series of nice out-door spots there.
The food and drinks are affordable and nobody will really notice you unless you start showing yourself.

Im travelling @ xmas  to imo too but im not a student  grin so N200,000 wont cut it for me sha
(When you change car tyre service am you no go see that one  grin)

the moment he opens his mouth, he'll be noticed,  believe me.
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by Pharoh: 9:19pm On Nov 23, 2009
snowdrops:

People are slowly missing the point here. Just like some threads on this forum its turned to recriminations.
The question was and is "how expensive is Nigeria at present?"
Not an opportunity to make accusations and counter accusations

I understand you brother no mind me abeg.
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by segzeybaba(m): 9:45pm On Nov 23, 2009
lorebobo:

the moment he opens his mouth, he'll be noticed, believe me.

people from 'abroad' have different breath compare to other fellow nigerians loooooooooool
hope no bi bad breath sha
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by debosky(m): 9:52pm On Nov 23, 2009
I am amazed by Nigerians - 200k for just a few days?? That is the equivalent of 800 pounds. . . who in his right mind will spend all of that after spending 800 pounds on gifts??  undecided

200k is more than enough IMO - if you've bought gifts for everyone, I don't see why you need to 'sort' huge amounts of money.

Nigeria is not as expensive as to warrant spending 200k in a matter of days, unless you have it to spend of course. No one will kill you if you don't spend more than 200k - you have to be in charge of your spending and not let others dictate to you. Yes family and friends have expectations, but you can manage those as well. If you spend 200k now, I hope you know they'll be expecting you to spend more the next time around and so on. . . don't start what you can't finish.

too_soon:

He own his family and friends more than that N200k, so he should stay back and work more.

This is the mentality that makes people steal, max out credit cards and do other foolish things just to come and 'impress' in Nigeria.  undecided
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by Secretz(f): 10:17pm On Nov 23, 2009
^^^^^^^^^

Thank you ooooo debo. Imagine these people sef. tongue

Well maybe I was too bloody stingy when I went in July for 6 weeks, I took £1,000 and came back with ummmm £700 . . . I had a car sorted, I had places to stay, I also had gifts for 'important' people. I dashed 'reasonably' and even then not to everyone. Don't let anyone decieve you. Cut your cost according to your wharreva they wan call it. grin
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by koolchicco: 10:26pm On Nov 23, 2009
@Secretz

Are u saying u spent just 300pounds in a whole 6Weeks? shocked
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by Secretz(f): 10:30pm On Nov 23, 2009
^^^^ Omo if people wanna call me stingy, I accept the title hands down.!! lol. Remember, I had a car and someone to take us around. We have our own house and various other places to stay with my people who cooked for us as well as for ourselves, I had also brought gifts for those important people I knew I would be spending a lot of time with. Seriously, after all these are taken care of, wetin else you go spend your money on? grin
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by segzeybaba(m): 10:32pm On Nov 23, 2009
koolchicco:

@Secretz

Are u saying u spent just 300pounds in a whole 6Weeks? shocked

shurrup man  grin
d girl don talk am say she dey very stingy  grin
75,000 for 6weeks, thats approximately 1,800 per day!
@secretz damn ur furra very stingy sha ooo  wink
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by Secretz(f): 10:34pm On Nov 23, 2009
segzeybaba:

shurrup man grin
d girl don talk am say she dey very stingy grin
@secretz damn your furra very stingy sha ooo wink

I accept! grin
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by DisGuy: 10:43pm On Nov 23, 2009
You try o secretz!! 6 weeks?

no recharge card?, internet top-ups? police ambush, generators etc etc
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by Secretz(f): 10:48pm On Nov 23, 2009
^^^^^ ok ok ok, most of my money went on recharge cards. embarassed Put petrol for generator and car? why now? abi, it was I that was following my people around not them folowing me. lol tongue

even the police bribery price has risen . . . .but I still dey manage. grin
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by koolchicco: 10:53pm On Nov 23, 2009
segzeybaba:

shurrup man  grin
d girl don talk am say she dey very stingy  grin
@secretz damn your furra very stingy sha ooo  wink

This one pass stinginess. Na proper Super-Glue hand. tongue

75k for 6 weeks, still unbelievable am sorry. Abi na only Kuli Kuli she dey chop? undecided angry grin
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by Secretz(f): 10:56pm On Nov 23, 2009
koolchicco:

75k for 6 weeks, still unbelievable am sorry. Abi na only Kuli Kuli she dey chop? undecided angry grin

rofl. Wellll . . . . . . . I must confess, I did enjoy watching mummy spend her money. Oh yess. . . . grin
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by jaybee3(m): 11:00pm On Nov 23, 2009
chei less than 8 quid per day. i need to employ you as me budget planner.
hit me up real quick abegi grin grin grin
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by segzeybaba(m): 11:05pm On Nov 23, 2009
koolchicco:

even with kuli kuli alone with pure water
£1000 go finish 4 6weeks
@secretz u rele cut ur coat according to your size ooo
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by debosky(m): 11:07pm On Nov 23, 2009
jay bee:

chei less than 8 quid per day. i need to employ you as me budget planner.
hit me up real quick abegi grin grin grin

Cost of living is lower in naija. . . well done secretz!!

@ OP

If someone can spend 300 pounds in 6 weeks then 200k is more than sufficient for the time you're going for.
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by koolchicco: 11:09pm On Nov 23, 2009
segzeybaba:

even with kuli kuli alone with pure water
£1000 go finish 4 6weeks

@secretz u rele cut your coat according to your size ooo

What more can I say, Dude? You've said it all. cheesy

75k wouldn't even be enough for 4 days. cool
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by debosky(m): 11:10pm On Nov 23, 2009
koolchicco:

What more can I say, Dude? You've said it all. cheesy

75k wouldn't even be enough for 3 days. cool

Make una dey spend money anyhow. . . .when you make unrealistic expectations this is what happens.

I was in naij in August and apart from money I spent on an event I went for, I don't think I spent 100k during the two weeks I was there.

And the answer is no. . .my hand aint gummed shut.  grin
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by koolchicco: 11:13pm On Nov 23, 2009
debosky:

Make una dey spend money anyhow. . . .when you make unrealistic expectations this is what happens.

I was in naij in August and apart from money I spent on an event I went for, I don't think I spent 100k during the two weeks I was there.

And the answer is no. . .my hand aint gummed shut.  grin

For a Man this is even worse. grin

You no dey buy fuel? Haba!!!!! cheesy
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by segzeybaba(m): 11:15pm On Nov 23, 2009
debosky:

And the answer is no. . .my hand aint gummed shut.  grin

abegiii ur hands aint gummed shut but ur hands r super glued inside ur pocket
kasa final wink
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by debosky(m): 11:18pm On Nov 23, 2009
koolchicco:

For a Man this is even worse. grin

You no dey buy fuel? Haba!!!!! cheesy

Of course I do, but I don't do aimless journeys. grin

I spent money and had a good time, but you don't need to spend millions to groove if you know how. wink

Besides, I had friends who were capable of taking care of themselves so it wasn't a case of me spending on everyone. cheesy

segzeybaba:

abegiii your hands aint gummed shut but your hands r super glued inside your pocket
kasa final wink
Na lie jare. . . I gave out 25k on the last day, meaning I actually spent 75k in 2 weeks. . .still can't beat Secretz though! cheesy
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by koolchicco: 11:27pm On Nov 23, 2009
debosky:

Of course I do, but I don't do aimless journeys.  grin

I spent money and had a good time, but you don't need to spend millions to groove if you know how. wink

Besides, I had friends who were capable of taking care of themselves so it wasn't a case of me spending on everyone.  cheesy
Na lie jare. . . I gave out 25k on the last day, meaning I actually spent 75k in 2 weeks. . .still can't beat Secretz though!  cheesy

One Point noted!!
. .And perhaps the reason I spend a bit less during yuletide as Am always in

company of my friends from akata as well hence needed to spent only 7k per day on petrol (plus other lil off road exp).
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by DisGuy: 11:28pm On Nov 23, 2009
debosky:

Of course I do, but I don't do aimless journeys.  grin

Besides, I had friends who were capable of taking care of themselves so it wasn't a case of me spending on everyone.  cheesy
Na lie jare. . . I gave out 25k on the last day, meaning I actually spent 75k in 2 weeks. . .still can't beat Secretz though!  cheesy

this is the koko, make sure you land around your friends that are eating 4 squared meal and then some!!
watch out how some try to show you say them don arrive, make you keep your dollar for pocket!

It helps if you visit regularly though, you tend to spend less
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by supereagle(m): 11:30pm On Nov 23, 2009
wen those of you have stayed in abroad come around , you show off, if you can maintain a simple life style, it will see you tru. I hope yu av taken care of your tickect? Best wishes.
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by redsky1: 12:38am On Nov 24, 2009
ah the joy of being a woman - i usually come back with the money i travel with.

anyway back to topic N200k should last if you keep a low profile but if ur going for christmas in the east forget it. the first night u and ur "friends" go out and ur the one picking up the bill then u will know.

anyway enjoy naija - hopefully be there soon
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by breathless(m): 7:24am On Nov 24, 2009
Bros, Keep d lowest profile possible. avoid many visitors as much as u can so don't become a target 4 robbers. lodge d cash in an account n do not use ATM card 2 make withdrawals. Try "language dem say u b student". I hope u av, reserve wen u return back 2 d UK? or else OYO lo wa.
Anyway, wish u a happy stay n b security conscious all times. cheere

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Pls Who Can Help Me With The Cost Of Travelling To Gambia By Land / Liberia:Rising From The UN-Civil War (In Pictures) / How To Become A Swedish Citizen Through Master's Studies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.