Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,716 members, 7,882,432 topics. Date: Sunday, 07 July 2024 at 04:31 AM

How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? (12714 Views)

The Most Expensive Garden Street In Owerri / Is Nigeria A Visa-free Country To Gambia With My Nigerian Ecowas Passport? / Is Nigeria A Good Place To Live? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by koolchicco: 9:05pm On Dec 02, 2009
Just outta curiosity, Did u spend N200k for 3weeks plus wedding? undecided shocked
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by babaowambe: 9:42pm On Dec 02, 2009
yes!yes!!yes!!! i did
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by Nobody: 10:37pm On Dec 02, 2009
? ? ? ?
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by mistercee: 11:42pm On Dec 02, 2009
It depends on so many factors and the type of problems facing you backhome.
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by Kc0022000(m): 1:07am On Dec 03, 2009
@poster , pls do with what you have at hand.If guys are paying 20k for entery go to a place where you can pay 10k or less abi na by force damn it dont go and paint a picture your not. That amount is enough from what you wrote above, goodluck and wish you a safe return, going to Nigeria calls for thanksgiving whenever you return, lots of bad heads in dat country lipsrsealed
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by UgoJnr: 2:45am On Dec 03, 2009
I haven't been to Nigeria in a while now (about 8 years). But that has more to do with the fact that everyone I need is right here with me and the only folks at home are the grandparents (and they visit at least twice a year).

It's quite sad that folks think that 800 pounds isn't enough for a 2 week vacation in Nigeria. Seriously, even if you have the money it is important that you respect it. You just don't throw money away so that folks won't look at you as stingy , that is just illogical.

To the original poster: I think 200, 000 Naira is more than enough. You just graduated a year ago and you still have to really secure your financial future before thinking about playing Santa to other folks. I pray you have a safe journey.
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by stonizzle: 12:27pm On Dec 03, 2009
@poster is enough unless you want to dash everybody in your village money
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by soldee: 12:59pm On Dec 03, 2009
@ poster
You are coming home to visit your family for Xmas from 23rd Dec to 5th Jan - N200k is enough - its home after all, abi? Free house, free car, free food! Your family will be glad to see you, and if they get too demanding you can always take back a list of their wishes and promise to sort them 'later'. It'll probably be another couple of years before you show face again - you'll know how to deal with it.

If you're coming for a shopping spree like most Nigerians at home do when they travel abroad for holidays, then N200k is nothing. If you are coming to show off, then definitely not in any of the big cities. Its up to you - what are you coming for? and most important, what impression have you already created?

I find it vey amusing that Diaspoorans believe the boys at home are waiting to 'leech' every guy that lands from jand or yankee. You guys need to realise that it is when you try to form that people at home get sharp and 'deal' with you.

The average Nigerian will not even contemplate a four week holiday abroad with just N200k cheesy
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by Kilode1: 3:22am On Dec 04, 2009
greateros:

if life abroad is this economical then i advice u guys to start coming home! 200k for Christmas period! men that's the height of stinginess!

Ask any naija student how much he has budgeted for this period and u will discover that 70% have more than that amount to spend!

Remember that when u come back nobody asks if u r a student or not all they know is that u came back from abroad!

abroad Church rats!! pheeeeewwwwww!!! tongue undecided undecided tongue
nethacker:

will u shut up the stinking thing u call MOUTH angry angry angry angry . do u knw wat it is to make money in some1 else's land/soil?r u so dumb to understand his post? shocked he clearly stated that he is a student n u r here saying rubbish. Perhaps u r a student. where in d whole world do u expect student to bcome millionare overnyt cos he is studying in yankee.
Boffoon angry angry
Don't mind them, they think everybody has a yahoo, gmail mugu "naija University student spending 200,000k for xmas?!! without a job! and that is your model? next thing now, they will be screaming "good people good country" asking Sony to apologise for calling us scammers, Pssssstttt. yeye people.
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by latch(m): 6:20am On Dec 04, 2009
200,000K for 2 weeks? , during christmas? , after 5 years? , in ibo land?

The only advantage you may have is that so many people will be coming back, so all eyes won't be on you.

Then again, what I do know is that last time I popped into Nigeria (2 months ago), 8 of us sat down and drank up a bill of about 70,000k in some joint in Lekki. It was an expensive bar, but still ,
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by tracy56(f): 7:14am On Dec 04, 2009
so latch u ve cash , to spend in niger , na whoa, come give me some , na the same uk we dey
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by abatakan1: 1:05pm On Dec 04, 2009
200k? Like someone said £800 spent in UK for 2 weeks? £800 rubbish money in Nigeria.Who are these people?
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by stede(m): 3:46pm On Dec 04, 2009
i don't think we are expensive
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by ayobase(m): 4:38pm On Dec 04, 2009
@Poster.
U have a very large heart my brother.
Not many like you think like that!
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by Onyema1(m): 8:24am On Dec 06, 2009
Since you are a student, I guess you may be able to explain out your situation when you come. Otherwise, 200k for 5 years?? i.e 200/5 = 40k a year.

Just avoid going into drinking joints where okada men and OMATA guys are drinking, they will simply insult you. 200k is like 5 days outing. And please stay away from women, they charge per second, and each second is about 1000NGN. And most if not all of them have their birth days between Dec 23 and January 3rd, so you might probably be attending birthdays every day depending on how many women you talk to.

The secret is to snick in, settle your immediate family and bone. If you want to show that you are janded, Then, your budget should start from NGN1.5m. Mind you, the business guys in Niger are your direct competitors and believe me, they will spend 200k at one sitting. Plus flashy cars.

But on a serious note, no matter how you want to spend, 200k is a tight budget. It might be enough for you if you wear oba'sanjo face sha.

Me being a young attorney based in Lagos, last xmas i spent close to 300k, and it did not go round, no women.
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by dogice(m): 3:24pm On Dec 06, 2009
tracy56:

so latch u ve cash , to spend in niger , na whoa[b], come give me some , na the same uk we dey[/b]

LWKMD
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by Phlota(f): 9:58pm On Dec 06, 2009
ubamu2029:

Some of these posts are scary while others are comforting.

The question of staying back because I have only got N200,000 to spend does not arise.
I have bought my tickets already (both international and local).
I intend to keep a low profile and if things get too bad, I'm off to my elder brothers
place in another state to spend the rest of my holiday.

As I said earlier, the N200k is just for spending.
I have put £400 (N100,000) aside for my siblings schools fees and stuff.
I bought gifts worth over £800 (Another N200,000).
My flights cost me £1000 (N250,000)

In all, this journey is costing me over N750,000 and I only finished my studies about 1 year ago
(and have been working since then).

The difference between the  day I'm arriving home and the day I'm leaving for the airport (back to the UK)
is only 9 days, and I won't let friends ruin it for me.

Thank you all who contributed. I will certainly let you know how it went.

gud, jst b smart wen u get here
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by Xionez(m): 2:03am On Dec 07, 2009
200k, 200k, 200k, Sir,pls i dont intend 2 b rude but i suggest u try and top it with lyk,1.5m.D 200k can b ur cash at hand when you ar going back to Britain.
With 200k,i suggest you sneek into ur house at nite & play Father Xmas by lettin ur spouse sniff thru d invitations of ur friends and if th, -wait a minute,ur from imo state!.Oga,ur own go be if you come o!.D money u spent on clothes etc would be like a failed banks withdrawal slip by the time 2 days is up!,
200k for where.not to talk of kidnappers!!!
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by mamagee3(f): 2:49am On Dec 10, 2009
Nigeria is very cheap
as of 2009 survey
. tongue
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by Nobody: 4:19pm On Dec 10, 2009
mama-gee, where did u get your stat. from? Abj, Lag & PH are very expensive These cities are more expensive than most African cities.

@poater, 200k is enough for your stay but try as much as possible to avoid 'dashing' money. It pays giving out gifts
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by Orilee9ice(m): 6:39pm On Dec 10, 2009
I hope u see this b4 u go,

WOO MY GUY TAKE IT FROM SOMEONE WHO GOES TO 9JA AT LEAST EVERY 3 MONTHS, GO TO ONE POUND SHOP AND BUY GIFTS IF U MUST, IF NOT, CHANGE ABOUT $200.00 IN 10 OR 20 DOLLAR NOTES AND HAVE NICE CLEAN ENVELOPES AT THE READY, GIVE THE DENOMINATIONS TO THOSE WHO DESERVE THEM IN 10'S OR 20'S  they will appreciate it if you give them the money and they change it themselves, because Nigerians are so expensive now, what you wear as your sunday best or party wear  abroad, is what they wear to go  buy bread next door, so dont think your labels will "get them"" in fact they will be laughing at you thinking did u really come from abroad, take it from someone who knows,

i have a friend who went to 9ja for her wedding and bought 2 sets of lace from AUSTRIA to give them finish, AND NOT COLLECT ANY CHANGE at her Introduction and engagement, the very day she arrived in Lagos, her cousin wore one as just causal up and down to come and pick her up from the airport, and just as she was about to get off at her house , she saw someone else on OKADA WEARING THE OTHER ONE.SAME COLOUR OH!!

My Brother in Uni wanted a mobile phone that even i cant afford to use here in Jand!, when i gave him the one i bought for him, he said he will not be seen "alive" on campus with that type of phone, can u imagine,

What you spend here (London) in a month is what you will spend in 3 days in 9JA, b4 u know it, u have spent £500.00 in one week, changing £100.00 (N25,000.00) EVERYDAY! sometimes i dont even spend £20.00 a day
sef,

Me i have learnt my lesson oh, i dont [b]do gift[/b]s anymore, i just give them money (Ten, Ten Dollars), but i think they are tired of seeing my face now sef, eniyan kan o le waa ko mi si gbese, just b'cos i wan do father xmas,
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by Nobody: 1:10am On Dec 11, 2009
200 k is nothing. I spent 2 wks in Nigeria recently and spent over 4,600 pounds sterling, and still ended up short before I caught the plane back to Jand! grin
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by debosky(m): 1:15am On Dec 11, 2009
ROSSIKE:

200 k is nothing. I spent 2 wks in Nigeria recently and spent over 4,600 pounds sterling, and still ended up short before I caught the plane back to Jand! grin

You are a BIG BOY. grin

Again, I was in naija early this month and I spent just a few days - apart from major contributions to the social events I went for, I spent less than 50k for the 5 days I was there, INCLUDING hotel bills!
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by agabaI23(m): 2:17am On Dec 11, 2009
debosky:

You are a BIG BOY. grin

Again, I was in naija early this month and I spent just a few days - apart from major contributions to the social events I went for, I spent less than 50k for the 5 days I was there, INCLUDING hotel bills!

YOU ARE A SMALL BOY.
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by Parohfrey(f): 2:23am On Dec 11, 2009
Kc0022000:

@poster , pls do with what you have at hand.If guys are paying 20k for entery go to a place where you can pay 10k or less abi na by force damn it dont go and paint a picture your not. That amount is enough from what you wrote above, goodluck and wish you a safe return, going to Nigeria calls for thanksgiving whenever you return, lots of bad heads in dat country lipsrsealed

What of the people that go there every two months and not a pin on their head is affected?
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by Parohfrey(f): 2:24am On Dec 11, 2009
ROSSIKE:

200 k is nothing. I spent 2 wks in Nigeria recently and spent over 4,600 pounds sterling, and still ended up short before I caught the plane back to Jand!  grin

Did you work for the 4,600pounds? you spent 1million naira, one hundred and fifty thousand naira in two weeks? Some peo-ple can lie. As if it is not the same Nigeria that we all grew up.
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by Orilee9ice(m): 10:23am On Dec 11, 2009
200 k is nothing. I spent 2 wks in Nigeria recently and spent over 4,600 pounds sterling, and still ended up short before I caught the plane back to Jand

@ROSSIKE
abeg, ki lo dee, e reee lee now!! abi wetin how can u spend £4,600 in 2 weeks, (you sure say u work for am for this obodo Jand!) even me wey dey go Lagos every 3mths, i don go 3 times this year already no spend up to that amt even plus including airs fares sef, (ok expect wen i pay for some land plus fencing for LEKKI PHASE2 Gbam!! lik dat one time) but i don budget that one as fixed cost.

No come pose as Bigz Boyz for us here oh!! wink wink, you sabi am, , al'rite now, shee you know my guy!! ori yato s'ori o!! owo yato's'owo!

Did you work for the 4,600pounds? you spent 1million naira, one hundred and fifty thousand naira in two weeks? Some peo-ple can lie. As if it is not the same Nigeria that we all grew up.

@ Paroh, abi oh my broda!! cool but oh my broda dem dey call millions in 9ja like child's play oh!!.it is nothing to them now, wan buy dis naa millions, price that it naa millions, go to shoprite, spend in thousands, just to fill one trolly oh, imagine going to Asda here and filling your trolly with foodstuff and paying thousands for it, cool
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by Orilee9ice(m): 10:32am On Dec 11, 2009
Quote from: debosky on Today at 01:15:40 AM
You are a BIG BOY.

YOU ARE A SMALL BOY.

Dat is to say, levels dey different oh!. like i dey sing the d'banj way, ori yato s'ori, owo. yato s'owo,
Bigz boyz, Small Boyz, wetin be di diference now- a- days, grin grin grin
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by Orilee9ice(m): 10:34am On Dec 11, 2009
Quote from: debosky on Today at 01:15:40 AM

200 k is nothing. I spent 2 wks in Nigeria recently and spent over 4,600 pounds sterling, and still ended up short before I caught the plane back to Jand

You are a BIG BOY.  

YOU ARE A SMALL BOY.

Dat is to say, levels dey different oh!. like i dey sing the d'banj way, ori yato s'ori, owo. yato s'owo,
Bigz boyz, Small Boyz, wetin be di diference now- a- days,  grin grin grin
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by benky(m): 4:41pm On Jan 22, 2010
I would like to know you, if you don't mind. i'm sorry. pls, endeavour to call this number:08027070503
Re: How Expensive Is Nigeria At Present? by IKEYMAN1: 6:35pm On Jan 22, 2010
GNBohr

The problem is that you people that live abroad cause problems for yourself. You created false impression about your self, standard of living and economic status. You made people back home feel you are much better off and enjoy life more abundant where you are located in the diaspora. Even those who goes abroad for schooling create so much false image about their welfare. So much that many back home believe that living abroad is akin to experiencing financial eldorado. Now the chicken is coming home to roost.

Many of us know that Nigeria is a country where anything goes, if you want to go home with 500 pounds or 1 million pounds depends on the false impression you want to continue to register in the mind of your people. Mind you, many back in Nigeria are living far better in terms of finances than most in the diaspora. They know the situations most cope with in the diaspora and how difficult it is to survive economically abroad. Yet some silly diasporans would want to go and show off that he just arrived.

You dont need to announce yourself in a manner that you can not cope with. My friend, if you want to be honest with yourself, your budget of 200k naira is more than enough for the period you intend spending. You can even do well with lesser amount. The issue is simple, be honest with yourself. do not create the impression that you have access to the Bank of England, do not behave in manners that will bring uneccessary demand to you. Stay within the confines of your immediate family who knows your status. Dont go around annoucing your presence as if it is the best thing to happen in Nigeria.

You can not impress anybody in Nigeria, even if you go with 10million pounds. At the end of the day, people will mock you for not meeting certain expectations. Remember most people in Nigeria are not that poor, particularly those that would mill around you. If you want to be in all the best places in Nigeria for the holiday, then be prepared to meet the requirement for that. Nigeria is both expensive and very cheap, depends on what you do, where you go, the market you patronise, the people you drag around, the girls you run after, the drinks you take, the food you consume, the place youn stay, the calls you make, the noise you make, the parties you attend and above all the impression you want to create.

Advice, just go home to see your family and siblings, by family I mean the nucleaus, have a decently exciting time and return back to England to continue the struggle. You would enjoy it, how long you have stayed away from home is irrelevant.

To my country people in the diaspora, many of you runs from visiting home because of this impression of how much I need to be able to stay comfortable, ask your self the question, if you are actually going back to your family to see and be with them and not to go and show off, you dont need a little bit more than what you averagely spend where you are resided now exluding flight cost, gift cost amd may be accomodation if there is no relative to squat with. The gift cost should even be moderate. Some of the items you take home are even cheaper in Nigeria.

GOD BLESS US ALL. ENDEAVOUR TO ALWAYS VISIT HOME ON A MODERATE BUDGET YOU CAN MOST CONVENIENTLY AFFORD!!!!!

of all the post in here; the only one making sense is this !!!!!

even debosky implies crap shocked

the problem with these people is they all fake; mind u dem plenty;i saw lots of them in the airport

that #200,000 for few weeks in naija aint enough shocked shocked shocked shocked kia fake backside people may una take am easy nowwwwwwwwwww

unless u got some runnings in the sense u might want to pay someone school fees, impress your people etc

are u buying bag of beans; rice; garri for your people hahhha

do u always wana impress in function by spraying naira even when its uncalled or

then #200,000 will in no chance be enough

as u see me self hey hahhha i drive honda baby boy shipped from Uk and its converted; say#1.35 millions all its cost me; so even more cheaper in naija  but then its well converted that u wouldnt regret at all, drive nicely, hey picture me on the highway hahhahha, but then there are some few better suv at my yard; well and im proud rolling with my honda

the thing is there are just too many fake azz naija here in uk and us that wouldnt go home till they can save up and afford suv in their quest to go to nigeria and say i ve arrived; some even sell their ride on their way back to oversea

NOOOOO u are wrong; u are the only one that know yourself; if u are those kind of people u might never go home soonest.

eachtime i hit the petrol station in my hood, oh na xmaz oo time man, when u go give me mine, my reply is, dnt worry i still dey around, some people oh small time now u don travel, when i go see mine, my response is dnt worry i see what i can do, even mechanic self wey suppose repair my car, oh boy i go leave this car for me now,

the thing is u have to be in charge and shouldnt driven; for eg my ofenumamm friend then landed in naija weeks after, he said to me on phone that he isnt gona give any body money anymore cuz he is intrigue on the rate his naira dey go down, now ask urself why?

cuz all those naira he was dashing out to people has had its toll

im not saying u shouldnt give people money but then all im saying is u got to be real

u cant be giving money in occassion cuz u wana impress in the name u came from london

let me tell u what scares a lot of naija overseas when they come home hhha

they often realise their mates are living quite comfortably; the same ride u saved all your pounds to buy is being driven by your friends sister or wife; he also pays rent in lagos

this is the kind of wake up-shock wave they get when they finallly made it to nigeria, their whole life change.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Pls Who Can Help Me With The Cost Of Travelling To Gambia By Land / Liberia:Rising From The UN-Civil War (In Pictures) / How To Become A Swedish Citizen Through Master's Studies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.