Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,185,199 members, 7,925,717 topics. Date: Monday, 19 August 2024 at 09:13 PM

Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? - Romance (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? (48601 Views)

Why Do Girls Marry Rich Guys Only To Regret In Future? / Why Do Ugly Girls Marry Every Saturday? And The Pretty Ones Do Ashebi? / Are Igbo Girls The Most Beautiful Girls In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by Nchara: 5:41am On Dec 02, 2009
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by THEAMAKA3(f): 5:42am On Dec 02, 2009
^^^
this guy, you are madd!!
stop starting conflicts everywhere.
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by Nobody: 5:45am On Dec 02, 2009
Maybe Igbo men are marrying late too. I know for sure the Igbos aren't into polygamy that much. They are usually very religious and mostly Christians.
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by Nobody: 6:04am On Dec 02, 2009
Nchara:

Yoruba women and drug couriering
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-360280.0.html

I believe I've corrected you on that one as well.

gosh this is a thankless job. undecided
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by Mekana(m): 6:24am On Dec 02, 2009
axeman85:

i beg to differ in regards to your quote above mekana. with all due respect most people i know personally that are yoruba dont hold anything against igbos and infact encourage their children to mingle with them. i for example when i was growing up my friends were ogbonna next door that was selling rice and beans with kenneth inclusice of cyprian. we were friends and my folks didnt have any problem with. my mum with her level of education director in ministry of education when i told her my woman was igbo she was complaining and raising eyebrows and i was quick to call her to attention and tell her how dissapointed i was in her for making such comments about igbo people. and i told her its either she accepts my woman or she can vamose i even told her that if she doesnt come to my trad wedding in anambra that another woman will take her place. what am trying to say is even if the parents are trying to make us hate other culture we the generations of today and tomorrow should be able to stand up to them and point them in the right direction. each culture and tribe has its own fault so we should always generalise because mr a asked the man that wants to marry his daughter to bring 1million naira doesnt mean mr b will do the same .
@axeman, More grease to ur elbow for adding context and substance to this dialogue. Ur analogy added impetus to the premise of my logic. There is no doubt that some yorubas, like Wole Soyinka and ur humble self, are striving to live beyond these parochialism. Igbos, like the yorubas and almost all other ethnic groups of the world, are not homogenous culturally. In Igboland, marriage expectations and obligations differs significantly. Think about it, many lower class igbos get married. Do they pay millions to get their wives? capital no! marriage in Igboland involves the two potential families and more importantly, the two potential couples. Through ur eloquent analogy, u have punctured the points of those trying to hide the fact tht some (yoruba) parents try to foster tribalism against their innocent children. This is not to say that all of them do that. There is what's called cultural relativity - that people's culture is unique and perculiar to them. Americans are always baffled by some of African cultural practices, including the fact that in some cultures, young ppl are expected to lay postrate, when greeting their elders. Using this prism to judge african culture is flawed and unintellectual. The same is applicable to every ethnic group.
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by THEAMAKA3(f): 6:26am On Dec 02, 2009
lol this thread is really blood to the sharks.
interesting essays though. undecided
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by sjeezy8: 6:27am On Dec 02, 2009
Mekana:

@axeman, More grease to your elbow for adding context and substance to this dialogue. your analogy added impetus to the premise of my logic. There is no doubt that some yorubas, like Wole Soyinka and your humble self, are striving to live beyond these parochialism. Igbos, like the yorubas and almost all other ethnic groups of the world, are not homogenous culturally. In Igboland, marriage expectations and obligations differs significantly. Think about it, many lower class igbos get married. Do they pay millions to get their wives? capital no! marriage in Igboland involves the two potential families and more importantly, the two potential couples. Through your eloquent analogy, u have punctured the points of those trying to hide the fact tht some (yoruba) parents try to foster tribalism against their innocent children. This is not to say that all of them do that. There is what's called cultural relativity - that people's culture is unique and perculiar to them. Americans are always baffled by some of African cultural practices, including the fact that in some cultures, young ppl are expected to lay postrate, when greeting their elders. Using this prism to judge african culture is flawed and unintellectual. The same is applicable to every ethnic group.

You are a very silly fellow, before you were talkin about yorubas dis n dat now you are talking about Wole Soyinka and african culture nonsense.

go to sleep hypocrite
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by Mekana(m): 6:36am On Dec 02, 2009
sjeezy8:

You are a very silly fellow, before you were talkin about yorubas dis n dat now you are talking about Wole Soyinka and african culture nonsense.

go to sleep hypocrite
@Sjeezy8, srry, the post isn't for u, it's for those with healthy minds, that can read, comprehend and digest complex discourse.
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by awumen: 8:09am On Dec 02, 2009
i have one simple question here pls dont crucify me ooo just what i noticed,why is that it is our igbo gurls that becomes second or third wives to all these our so called big men?examples;
Bode George - Wife number 2 and 3 are igbos
Atiku-Wife number 3 is igbo
Buba Marwa-Wife number 2 is igbo
and so on and so forth,these bothers me because our so called sisters who i meet along the way will tell me they can never be a second wife to any man but alas that's not true atall,i know a few people will mention that yoruba women too also take the place of a second wife but thats not my concern because the yoruba culture might accepted that but as an igbo man who defend igbo sisters then where are we?
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by Mekana(m): 8:22am On Dec 02, 2009
awumen:

i have one simple question here pls dont crucify me ooo just what i noticed,why is that it is our igbo gurls that becomes second or third wives to all these our so called big men?examples;
and so on and so forth,these bothers me because our so called sisters who i meet along the way will tell me they can never be a second wife to any man but alas that's not true atall,i know a few people will mention that yoruba women too also take the place of a second wife but thats not my concern because the yoruba culture might accepted that but as an igbo man who defend igbo sisters then where are we?
U sound like u are delusional. I also doubt your claim of igboness. What is the basis of your assumption? U are able to pinpoint those ones because its not a common occurence among igbos. U therefore neglected other tribes esp. the yoruba ladies' tendency to marry old men as 2nd 3rd 4th wive(s). U need to take a shower.
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by otukpo(f): 8:25am On Dec 02, 2009
* i have said it b4 i will say it again, those that think igbo marriage is expensive are wrongly informed. No matter how poor u are, u can marry ur babe as long as the family accepts u.

* The long list u usually hear of is peculiar to some towns and even at that, the list is negotiable. U can always do 5% of the list and say the payment is continues while u take ur wife without paying any other thing in future. At least am giving u pple some secrets on how to have ur way easy.

* Long list oo , bride prize depends on the family and how greedy they are or how much the girl can convince them.

* But some guys wld like to show off, even when they are told to bring N5, the wld give them to show they are very capable and probably think it will make them look more manly.

* In some parts of igbo land, list does not exist, in most parts, the thing called bride prize is ridiculously low that if i mention the amount some pple will just laugh and say its as good as free.

* Pray not to have a greedy parents in-law or a wife that wld want to milk u dry. This is general to all tribes.

* But this is not to say the igbos are inviting the non-igbos to come and marry their daughters cos the average igbo parent wld prefer their daughter to marry from igbo land and if possible from the same town.

* Whatever age u consider as late for marriage, i still maintain that it is better for a girl to be matured to make her decisions abt marriage than marrying the girl off at a tender age or becoming second place wife. Igbos don't marry late.

Get ur informations right and stort peddling rumours.
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by OgidiBoy(m): 8:30am On Dec 02, 2009
^^^^ So I can negotiate a payment plan to marry and Igbo girl ? good news, that means there is still hope for a poor man like me shocked
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by sjeezy8: 8:33am On Dec 02, 2009
awumen:

Mekana:

U sound like u are delusional. I also doubt your claim of igboness. What is the basis of your assumption? U are able to pinpoint those ones because its not a common occurence among igbos. U therefore neglected other tribes esp. the yoruba ladies' tendency to marry old men as 2nd 3rd 4th wive(s). U need to take a shower.

lol what the guy said is true and it must be painin you

Lol even a crazy woman like you can marry and become 4rd wife to atiku.
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by Mekana(m): 8:37am On Dec 02, 2009
Posted by: Mekana 
Insert Quote
Quote from: sjeezy8 on Today at 06:27:25 AM

go to sleep hypocrite

@Sjeezy8, srry, the post below isn't for u, it's for those with healthy minds, that can read, comprehend and digest complex discourse.

Posted on: Today at 06:27:25 AMPosted by: sjeezy8 

Quote from: Mekana on Today at 06:24:06 AM
@axeman, More grease to your elbow for adding context and substance to this dialogue. your analogy added impetus to the premise of my logic. There is no doubt that some yorubas, like Wole Soyinka and your humble self, are striving to live beyond these parochialism. Igbos, like the yorubas and almost all other ethnic groups of the world, are not homogenous culturally. In Igboland, marriage expectations and obligations differs significantly. Think about it, many lower class igbos get married. Do they pay millions to get their wives? capital no! marriage in Igboland involves the two potential families and more importantly, the two potential couples. Through your eloquent analogy, u have punctured the points of those trying to hide the fact tht some (yoruba) parents try to foster tribalism against their innocent children. This is not to say that all of them do that. There is what's called cultural relativity - that people's culture is unique and perculiar to them. Americans are always baffled by some of African cultural practices, including the fact that in some cultures, young ppl are expected to lay postrate, when greeting their elders. Using this prism to judge african culture is flawed and unintellectual. The same is applicable to every ethnic group.

Am sure u have forgotten the above bashing fool!!!
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by cantell(m): 8:53am On Dec 02, 2009
@Otukpo,
You too much. You know igbos even better than me(I'm an igbo guy)

@Sjeezy & awumen,
If you wan chop toad, im better make you chop the  big one. These women sabi wetin dem dey do.
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by awumen: 9:24am On Dec 02, 2009

@mekana,i am an igbo man to the core
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by rozu4luv(m): 9:32am On Dec 02, 2009
@ silyboy how do u know is used to build a good house not to talk of sky,  angry
well every type has dere own way of doing it if u know u are a man and want to get married u should be able to pay and enjoy ur igbo wife. if sure u love ur girl and want to make her ur wife no amount will be too much for u  kiss
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by mex004(m): 10:51am On Dec 02, 2009
Cos of Ebgankwu
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by nwajinnaka(m): 2:38pm On Dec 02, 2009
what do u know about the igbos. say what you know, stop hating
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by Mekana(m): 2:54pm On Dec 02, 2009
awumen:

@mekana,i am an igbo man to the core and if you need evidence IM me alrite.i am also sure you read my response from a bias mind so double check again and you will see where i pointed it out that yorubas will accept to become 2nd,3rd or even 4th wives so no any neglect my broda,the point i am making is that our igbo sisters who we all grew up will say they can never become a second wife but at the end the case will be different,take another instance of ibori's wife to be (Uzoamaka),she was swinging with the then delta state commissioner of finance before ibori hijacked her and used to ferry our money to foreighn land and she in turn begin warn ibori's bed and even boast to us in london that she will marry ibori especially now that the wife Nkoyo has varmus from the house,so my broda double check again ooo i know the yorubas can marry to become 10th wife sef but our sisters are also taking queue

Let me dissect your logic Awumen. your argument seemed to establish that its perculiar to Igbo ladies, which is far from the truth. Others, especially, muslims do it better, remember Yorubas are more or less divided btwn Xtians and Muslims, and even some of their Xtian women marry as 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th wife. Again, that u saw those pictures meant that there are few of them and that its not normanl for us. In this case, clearly the Igbos are at the minority, remember that its a personal issue, every person, boy or girl, lady or a man has the right and choice of marriage in igboland unlike in so many other ethnic groups.u seem to neglect this factor in ur hypothesis. Therefore by arguing otherwise, u ended up affirming these guys' hate argument here. A real Igbo defends his race in the midst of belligerency and institute internal criticism when necessary, thats how to be contructive not destructive.
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by THEAMAKA3(f): 3:09pm On Dec 02, 2009
some people need to go back to the politics section. cool
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by BeBlessed2: 3:19pm On Dec 02, 2009
Marrying early is not the main fat, the only problem there is understand and love.

A lady can marry @ the age of 25 year, dat is when she have understand what family is all about likewise 2 men.

cool
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by awumen: 3:34pm On Dec 02, 2009
Let me dissect your logic Awumen. your argument seemed to establish that its perculiar to Igbo ladies, which is far from the truth. Others, especially, muslims do it better, remember Yorubas are more or less divided btwn Xtians and Muslims, and even some of their Xtian women marry as 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th wife. Again, that u saw those pictures meant that there are few of them and that its not normanl for us. In this case, clearly the Igbos are at the minority, remember that its a personal issue, every person, boy or girl, lady or a man has the right and choice of marriage in igboland unlike in so many other ethnic groups.u seem to neglect this factor in your hypothesis. Therefore by arguing otherwise, u ended up affirming these guys' hate argument here. A real Igbo defends his race in the midst of belligerency and institute internal criticism when necessary, thats how to be contructive not destructive.

some people need to go back to the politics section.
@amaka i quite agree with you,my broda mekana the fact that i am a real igbo man does not mean i should support what is wrong no matter the belligerency,my points are ever objective not destructive even to my own people,i am a clear conscience nigerian,i love my igbo race and i am proud of it but to support something wrong mba'nu
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by THEAMAKA3(f): 3:37pm On Dec 02, 2009
no one ever denied that igbos involve themselves in polygamy, but its rare that you do find polygamist couples all over the place.
yes they do it, but in great numbers, no.
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by Nobody: 3:52pm On Dec 02, 2009
@poster
they marry late cos they are too beautiful.
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by Mekana(m): 3:56pm On Dec 02, 2009
THE-AMAKA:

no one ever denied that igbos involve themselves in polygamy, but its rare that you do find polygamist couples all over the place.
yes they do it, but in great numbers, no.

Amaka, more grease to ur elbow. Awumen, ur criticism has some merit, but its also flawed in that ur point reinforced the tribalistic paradigm. The topic itself is anti-igbo as well as the variegated bashing of igbo ladies here. if u were constructive in ur assertion, u could make ur point as well as dismiss those false suggestions about us. By not doing that, u hurt rather than help the cause.
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by awumen: 4:08pm On Dec 02, 2009
Amaka, more grease to your elbow. Awumen, your criticism has some merit, but its also flawed in that your point reinforced the tribalistic paradigm. The topic itself is anti-igbo as well as the variegated bashing of igbo ladies here. if u were constructive in your assertion, u could make your point as well as dismiss those false suggestions about us. By not doing that, u hurt rather than help the cause.

mekana i also agree with amaka but my point is that our sisters do not marry late just for the sake of late marriage,they sometimes marry late because there is need for that,i have also met yorubas and hausas who marry late,so it is not peculiar to igbos alone.
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by THEAMAKA3(f): 4:46pm On Dec 02, 2009
also its hard to find a lot polygamist families in igbo land because the majority of them are christians and believe in one man and one wife.
allah or the koran even said a man can marry up to 4 wives (i found that out watching the video where the man married 86 wives. lol) , so other cultures most likely see nothing wrong with it (not that its wrong in any way).
so there you have it.
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by lightwalk(m): 4:56pm On Dec 02, 2009
That is not true!!!
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by Biatide1: 5:03pm On Dec 02, 2009
[/quote][quote author=tpacalipse link=topic=358804.msg5035658#msg5035658 date=1259765528]
@poster
they marry late cos they are too beautiful.

Keep quiet and just observe if you have nothing intelligent to contribute, dont spoil the intelligent argument mekana is making
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by Nobody: 5:10pm On Dec 02, 2009
Mekana:

Amaka, more grease to your elbow. Awumen, your criticism has some merit, but its also flawed in that your point reinforced the tribalistic paradigm. The topic itself is anti-igbo as well as the variegated bashing of igbo ladies here. if u were constructive in your assertion, u could make your point as well as dismiss those false suggestions about us. By not doing that, u hurt rather than help the cause.

the same amaka who has declared her ambition to be a CONCUBINE to some rich man whether Yoruba or whatever, is the same one you're saluting here?

Una like to deceive una selves sha!

what's the meaning of concubine? Do single men have concubines? No be married men dey swing like that?
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by Biatide1: 5:18pm On Dec 02, 2009
@ Poster
Igbo ladies dont marry late or is there any proof to back this unfounded argument?  there may be matured  igbo spinsters probably still searching but that is not peculiar to igbo ladies  alone. the point  am making is late marriage is not synonymous with igbo girls, period, pls check your fact, am a living example married early schooled , have kids, and by Gods grace strong and stable in my home

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

Beautiful Lady Swallows Big Lump Of Fufu On A Date With Her Man (Photos, Video) / Ladies, Why You Should Stop Lying About Your Age / When A Girl Says "I Don't Want Your Girlfriend To Come And Beat Me"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.