Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,854 members, 7,872,855 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 12:10 AM

Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? (10384 Views)

Poll: Will You?

Yes: 39% (31 votes)
No: 60% (47 votes)
This poll has ended

Continuous Detention Of Nnamdi Kanu And Dasuki: Did FG Flout Any Law? / Nairaland Does Not Support Any Political Party / The South Will Never Support Any Candidate From North, Let Them Go If They Wish (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Eziachi: 9:32pm On Dec 16, 2009
If you have the opportunity or you are in position to do so, will you consider making polygamy illegal? Some have said no because they believe its culture for two or more women to share a man in a marriage.  However when asked if the same scenario could be reversed for a woman to share two or more men in a marriage, the affirmative No! is always deafening from the same group.

But joke apart, I think that the biggest agent of fast spread of HIV virus in the sub Saharan African region in particular, is polygamous relationship. Where men despite, number of wives at home will still go out and sleep with other people especially love-peddlers and then to return back to sleep with all his wives at home.  The situation is now even made worse, when many of this folks had to leave their towns and villages and migrate to the cities for job opportunities or to engage in other gainful businesses without their wives in with them, only to comes back to visit their families, once or twice in a year.

I was reading an in house British medical journal that the B.M.A usually circulates among doctors in the U.K today and find it astonishing that a country as poor as Ethiopia has one of the least record of HIV infection in the whole of Africa.  And reason for this, according to health experts is the fact that Ethiopian do not embrace polygamy as ardent culture, their government had almost fifteen years ago made it compulsory by law that anyone getting married must first undertake a HIV test for marriage.  And their law also stipulated that having a sexual relationship with anyone without knowing you got the disease because you careless to know our HIV status or deliberate spread of the disease can get you a very long term jail sentence.

I was horrified when I read from Nairaland, that Benue state alone had almost half a million HIV patients and who will say that, that is the actual figure, when Nigeria is not known for their data recording of anything?

And today, a patient of mine, whom I had  pencilled down for a knee cap replacement by next year, when the result of the test to ascertain his fitness as required by the British medical procedure standard in the U.K came back, he  had HIV virus without knowing he had it and the scariest thing is the fact that this guy is in a polygamous relationship with three wives according to him.
He is a Moslem Nigerian, and he told me that, he married here in the U.K too to another Nigerian for the purpose of getting his residential status sorted out four years ago and admitted having been intimate with this lady on many occasions without protection.
Now, there is every chance, all his wives back I Nigeria are all carrying this dreadful virus disease without knowing they are and who will bet that they are faithful to him while he is away in the U.K trying to make a living.
What do you think.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Kenezi: 9:39pm On Dec 16, 2009
Of course.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Fhemmmy: 9:40pm On Dec 16, 2009
Nope
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Eziachi: 9:43pm On Dec 16, 2009
In my opinion, I think that polygamous culture is as outdated as the killing of twin in past by my estimation.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Eziachi: 9:44pm On Dec 16, 2009
Fhemmmy:

Nope

An what will be your excuse? Will you share your wife with another man if I may ask?
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by H2O2: 9:45pm On Dec 16, 2009
Not if there's a law condoning FΑGGOTRY.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Fhemmmy: 9:48pm On Dec 16, 2009
Why would i wanna change the law.
I will not share my woman with no one, i will never marry 2, but it is not for me to stop others from doing what makes them happy.
Besides, the ratio of women to men is too high to say 1:1 and not all men will be chicken like me
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by bawomolo(m): 9:49pm On Dec 16, 2009
no i won't support such law.

H2O2:

what does faggotry have to do with polygamy?
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Eziachi: 9:51pm On Dec 16, 2009
H2O2:

Is there any African nation that condone whatever you called it? I am talking about African continent with little money to manage HIV and high rate of spread.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Fhemmmy: 9:51pm On Dec 16, 2009
bawomolo:

Is there not a law against polygamy in America, and yet most men have a wife and mistress, so what is the difference?
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Fhemmmy: 9:52pm On Dec 16, 2009
Eziachi:

Is there any African nation that condone whatever you called it? I am talking about African continent with little money to manage HIV and high rate of spread.

So polygamy is the source of HIV Spread?
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by bawomolo(m): 9:53pm On Dec 16, 2009
Fhemmmy:

Is there not a law against polygamy in America, and yet most men have a wife and mistress, so what is the difference?

bigamy laws in the US do not make sense. individual adults and not the government should be in the business of defining what marriage is.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by H2O2: 9:53pm On Dec 16, 2009
bawomolo:

Bawo has missed road again.  I was expecting you to tie up the loose ends yourself.

Faggotry and polygamy share the same legal foundation.  The argument that consenting adults should be allowed to get into a marital orgy if it soothes their chosen lifestyle.  wink
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Eziachi: 9:55pm On Dec 16, 2009
Fhemmmy:

Why would i wanna change the law.
I will not share my woman with no one, i will never marry 2, but it is not for me to stop others from doing what makes them happy.
Besides, the ratio of women to men is too high to say 1:1 and not all men will be chicken like me

grin
Ok I get your point. But remember that, not everything that makes one happy is good for him/her. E.g Crack cocaine.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by H2O2: 9:55pm On Dec 16, 2009
bawomolo:

bigamy laws in the US do not make sense. individual adults and not the government should be in the business of defining what marriage is.

Bigamy laws used to make sense.  It was even supported by the DOMA act, I think.  It stopped making sense when butt-assaulters entered into the equation with a new dimension to their arguments.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by H2O2: 9:57pm On Dec 16, 2009
Eziachi:

HIV does not spread as a result of perfectly healthy heterosexual marital sex between couples. Where are you getting your facts from?
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by oderemo(m): 9:57pm On Dec 16, 2009

as well as in france, italy,and most euro countries.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Fhemmmy: 9:58pm On Dec 16, 2009
bawomolo:

bigamy laws in the US do not make sense.  individual adults and not the government should be in the business of defining what marriage is.  

If the govt shd not be the one to define marriage, why shd i make a law against polygamy then?
Eziachi:

grin
Ok I get your point. But remember that, not everything that makes one happy is good for him/her. E.g Crack cocaine.

I feel you, however, how is polygamy bad for those that are into it?
What crime are they committing?
If Tiger wood was married to all his mistresses, would he have to take time off to heal his wife's heart?, will be have to crash his SUV at 2am in the morning?
Will Clinton have to lie?
Will the NC governor have to sneak to Europe?
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by H2O2: 9:59pm On Dec 16, 2009
Fhemmmy:

I agree.  It's one of the reasons I feel bad for Tiger Woods.  He's a victim of an archaic law.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by bawomolo(m): 10:00pm On Dec 16, 2009
H2O2:

Bigamy laws used to make sense.  It was even supported by the DOMA act, I think.  It stopped making sense when butt-assaulters entered into the equation with a new dimension to their arguments.

they only made sense as it stopped the mormon church from forcing under-aged girls into polygamous relationships (something that also happens in Naija today).  

H2O2:

Bawo has missed road again.  I was expecting you to tie up the loose ends yourself.

Faggotry and polygamy share the same legal foundation.  The argument that consenting adults should be allowed to get into a marital sin assembly if it soothes their chosen lifestyle.  wink

you are confusing me here.  Polygamy is only sin according to Christianity.  Why should a predominantly muslim country such as Nigeria be forced to live under Christian principles?

you guys are hypocrites, you love to bash sharia laws but have no problem screaming sin up and down.  Nigeria is a secular country and adults should be allowed to live their lifestyle as long as it isn't affecting you.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by bawomolo(m): 10:02pm On Dec 16, 2009
Fhemmmy:

If the govt shd not be the one to define marriage, why shd i make a law against polygamy then?
I see nothing wrong with polygamy as long as it isn't forced or involves underaged parties.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Fhemmmy: 10:02pm On Dec 16, 2009
bawomolo:

you are confusing me here.  Polygamy is only sin according to Christianity.  Why should a predominantly muslim country such as Nigeria be forced to live under Christian principles?

you guys are hypocrites, you love to bash sharia laws but have no problem screaming sin up and down.  Nigeria is a secular country and adults should be allowed to lie their lifestyle as long as it isn't affecting you.

I am a christian and i am sure that many will enter into heaven with their 2 wives, while many with one wife and many mistresses will burn in hell.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by MrCrackles(m): 10:03pm On Dec 16, 2009
Topic. .

Abso-fu/cking-lutely
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by MrCrackles(m): 10:04pm On Dec 16, 2009
Fhemmmy:

I am a christian and i am sure that many will enter into heaven with their 2 wives, while many with one wife and many mistresses will burn in hell.
Very possible. . . .
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Fhemmmy: 10:04pm On Dec 16, 2009
H2O2:

I agree.  It's one of the reasons I feel bad for Tiger Woods.  He's a victim of an archaic law.

Tiger wood is a victim of what people thot and not who he is, His wife has always known him and a fun guy and a party dude.
bawomolo:

I see nothing wrong with polygamy as long as it isn't forced or involves underaged parties.

Marriage to underage to me is not polygamy but a huge crime that she be punishable with death, cos they are kids and not old enuf to make decision on marriage
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by H2O2: 10:05pm On Dec 16, 2009
What is SIN ASSEMBLY?  ? ? I NEVER typed SIN ASSEMBLY

I typed O R G Y . Marital O R G Y.  Seun has banned that word.

οrgy οrgy οrgy.

Seun has a judgmental, backwards mentality.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Fhemmmy: 10:06pm On Dec 16, 2009
MrCrackles:

Very possible. . . .

I think sometimes, we are too holy that we even forget to live.
What is the point of making a law and we now walk around the law to find a comfort zone?
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by oderemo(m): 10:06pm On Dec 16, 2009
Saturday 23 August 2008 / by Will Ghartey-Mould

A foremost Islamic organisation in Nigeria has passed a death sentence (fatwa) on a Muslim, Muhammadu Bello Masaba, for marrying over 80 wives contrary to the Islamic religion, the private Guardian newspaper reported Friday.

even when it get to the xtreme the muslim faith that condone polygamy want to put a stop to it. mark the word CONTRARY.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by nduchucks: 10:07pm On Dec 16, 2009
ratio say we get 2.5 - 3 women to one man, so if dem enforce one man one wife rule, wetting go happen to all de women wey no go fit marry? na how dem go get their own children?  una sabi say, bastard no be good label for african society na.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Fhemmmy: 10:08pm On Dec 16, 2009
ndu_chucks:

ratio say we get 2.5 - 3 women to one man, so if dem enforce one man one wife rule, wetting go happen to all de women wey no go fit marry? na how dem go get their own children?  una sabi say, naughty person no be good label for african society na.

i am sure wont even happen in Nigeria
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Eziachi: 10:11pm On Dec 16, 2009
Fhemmmy:

So polygamy is the source of HIV Spread?

Of course not.
It is one of the biggest agent of its spread in African sub Sahara. I want people to stop bringing the develop world or gays into this issue. I am only mindful of African continent, gay is never one of the big issues for AFRICANS yets like it is with the liberal developed world and they had the resources even if that is the case.

Benue state infected number alone outwits almost the whole of Western Europe put together and I am seriously alarmed.  I am looking for possible ways to help reduce the fast rate of infection in our poor continent and seriously believe that polygamy is one of the source of high infection rate. In my daily work experience, what I am seeing with regards to our young people that came over here for better life is alarming with regards to the rate of HIV carriers, who had no idea they had it even.

And I am positively sure that they wouldn't have found out if not coming in for some other health reasons only to find out by chance and would have been ignorant until it becomes a full blown AIDS
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by bawomolo(m): 10:12pm On Dec 16, 2009
H2O2:

What is SIN ASSEMBLY?  ? ? I NEVER typed SIN ASSEMBLY

I typed O R G Y . Marital O R G Y.  Seun has banned that word.

οrgy οrgy οrgy.

Seun has a judgmental, backwards mentality.

you know Seun is just experimenting with his made in china censorship software. ridiculous.

ode remo:

even when it get to the xtreme the muslim faith that condone polygamy want to put a stop to it. mark the word CONTRARY.

any man that marries 80 women is just been greedy.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

End Nigerians Suffering Now – 36 State Speakers Tell Tinubu / Divisional Police Officer Killed In Kano / This Is 2018 Not 2015, Alex Otti Warns Ikpeazu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.