Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,172 members, 7,880,659 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 12:11 AM

Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? (10396 Views)

Poll: Will You?

Yes: 39% (31 votes)
No: 60% (47 votes)
This poll has ended

Continuous Detention Of Nnamdi Kanu And Dasuki: Did FG Flout Any Law? / Nairaland Does Not Support Any Political Party / The South Will Never Support Any Candidate From North, Let Them Go If They Wish (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by sjeezy8: 11:37pm On Dec 17, 2009
Anti polygamy is one of the bull poo practices some African Governments adopted from europeans. They introduced FORCED MONOGAMY and at the same time snuck in prostitution.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Eziachi: 11:43pm On Dec 17, 2009
OAM4J:

Thank you. Your 2 points make lots of sense. I can now agree with your argument.  wink cool

I did answer your question Eziachi, that men are unfair but arguably/largely we still live in mens world. However I think the crusade of this thread is towards curbing the spread of HIV and not about the morals of polygamy. I doubt if you can win the morality arguiment of polygamy cos at the end it will end up being a matter of choice of individuals concerned, same as in homosexuality. But i will advice you stick to the crusade of curbing HIV as tensor777 is doing. All the same. Its a good debate.  cool

No you did not answer question, which is, will you be able to allow your wife to marry another man and still be your wife? You are right about the issue not being a moral one , which I have been hammering all along.

But when you start equating polygamy with homosexuality based of choice, its absolute rubbish as homosexuality is between two consenting people, but tell me how conseting is a man's first wife to his choice of bringing other women ito their marriage?
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by OAM4J: 11:53pm On Dec 17, 2009
Eziachi:

No you did not answer question, which is, will you be able to allow your wife to marry another man and still be your wife? You are right about the issue not being a moral one , which I have been hammering all along.

The answer I gave was that it is unfair that no man will accept that, but arguably it is still the man's world. (Does that not answers your question enough)

Eziachi:

But when you start equating polygamy with homosexuality based of choice, its absolute rubbish as homosexuality is between two consenting people, but tell me how conseting is a man's first wife to his choice of bringing other women ito their marriage?

Ezeachi, you mean polygamy is without consents? The 1st wife has a choice of leaving. Nobody forced anybody to accept polygamy, it is a mater of choice. All the parties involve in polygamy are adults Please.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Eziachi: 12:09am On Dec 18, 2009
sjeezy8:

Anti polygamy is one of the bull poo practices some Africans adopted from europeans. They introduced FORCED MONOGAMY and at the same time snuck in prostitution.

You seem to take the word from my mouth there, that anthropologically, polygamy practice is not a sub Saharan African culture originally but from Europe and Middle East through Islam.

The European ditched polygamy because of the spread of Christianity from 33 C.E, of which their holy book “the bible” forbids a man marrying more than one wife. Finally due to advancement of democracy and the rights of women, they start to consider polygamy as a prime source of subjugation of the rights of women and went far by outlawing bigamy.
In the Middle East, polygamy use to be a strict reserved for the kings and the noble which had its root fro Babylon, until Islam made the practice universal for all of its believers based on the principle of equality of all men being preached by prophet Mohammed.

The world is never static, great civilizations thrive in dishing outdated cultures. Slavery use to be acceptable even before the arrival of the white men. We use to kill twins and defended them as our culture.

These days, dreadlocks is considered a fashion but many years ago, it was an identity for anyone dedicated to the idol, who will serve in the shrine as a helper to the chief priest of the deity and as a result, no razor shall touch their hair and they will never be married and will automatically be castrated
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Eziachi: 12:23am On Dec 18, 2009
OAM4J:

Ezeachi, you mean polygamy is without consents? The 1st wife has a choice of leaving. Nobody forced anybody to accept polygamy, it is a mater of choice. All the parties involve in polygamy are adults Please.
The woman has right to leave? Leave to where? Some of you do not even understand anything about some African culture or the place of a women in African setup. You mean the woman should leave and risk never seeing her kids ever again. To be called names under the sun, for returning to her parents, which is a taboo in it is self?
Or no chance of never to be remarried. Who marries a second hand woman in Africa, when girls as young as fifteen are taken by people of their grandfather’s age?

Do you even know that when a woman, voluntarily left her husband that her family will have to repay back the dowry paid on her head? Of which her family, no longer has as it has been spent. Her family will even force her to stay and beg her to endure as the brand new wife subjects her to all sorts of humiliation. Worse, if she is childless or no male child.
Guys try and understand your culture first before debating it.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by THEAMAKA1: 12:37am On Dec 18, 2009
yes
greedy people. tongue
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by AndreUweh(m): 2:01am On Dec 18, 2009
The only acceptable condition for polygamy has to be that: The first wife supports the bringing in of another wife in a law court. If she says no, then that is the end of polygamy. The man's wife should have the final say over this issue.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Igwe12: 2:12am On Dec 18, 2009
MUZBO:

See this punk talking trash. You are almost as smart as the dumb poster who tried to link polygamy with spread of HIV. Now isn't AIDS more endemic within your 'informed' monogamy loving tribe(from reliable stats)? If the poster's fiance became somebody's 3rd wife then he should kick back at polygamy in other ways. We all know statistics here!

Who is talking about HIV. Don't you understand simple English. it is a social problem with lots of flaws in it. Read my post and you'll understand why polygamy is a cancer that will eventually kill a society like nigeria. Like i said, Only the Yorubas and Northeners who are radical and senseless polygamist are ones defending this archiac and obsolete practice. So much for being educated. Thats why the poverty rate in the North will remain above 80% and Southwest above 45%.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by bebenlo007: 2:17am On Dec 18, 2009
allow me to refer you to Isaiah 4 verse 1, and that reminds me, how come Pastors dont talk about this verse or is it not in their own Bible?
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by brooknam99: 2:34am On Dec 18, 2009
@igwe1 CNN breaking news;it has just been revealed that the governor of south carolina is yoruba,hence his decision to go to argentina to have a mistress ova there and father an out of marriage child!!!
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by THEAMAKA1: 2:36am On Dec 18, 2009
brooknam99:

@igwe1 CNN breaking news;it has just been revealed that the governor of south carolina is yoruba,hence his decision to go to argentina to have a mistress ova there and father an out of marriage child!!!
ive noticed that its always the AAs that go into anything relating to racism/tribalism
a hell of a lot of yall live in that section. lol!!
why is that? its so funny to me.
and you seem to live to instigate/fan the flames/and add kerosine to anything tribalistic.
and you call everyone else a tribalist? i think youre the hypocrite here.
its called IGNORING someone.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Igwe12: 2:43am On Dec 18, 2009
No point arguing with secondary school students. I guess the dictionaries you people use do not differenciate between Adultery and Polygamy. If you do not understand basic terms, concepts and implications, then there's no point trying to lecture nor convince you otherwise.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by brooknam99: 2:45am On Dec 18, 2009
@The Amaka,as much as I try to ignore u u have a way of comin at me that just shows me how sad and miserable u are.its no surprise to me that u spend most of your life in front of a computer,lonely,manless,and horn.y as hell.u stupi.d binch,what flames am I fanning?were u blind when your boyfriend wrote that it was poor,uneducated, yoruba trash that encourage polygamy?were u blind then?why didn't u call him to order then?oh,its ok if the ibo does the dissing,right?oh u noticed that african americans are constantly in the tribalism section 'instigating'stuff.I noticed that too.did u also notice that the people we constantly accuse of being tribalists are the ibos?doesn't that tell u somethn?
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by H2O2: 2:46am On Dec 18, 2009
Igwe-1 must be a very foolish poster.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by THEAMAKA1: 2:49am On Dec 18, 2009
brooknam99:

@The Amaka,as much as I try to ignore u u have a way of comin at me that just shows me how sad and miserable u are.its no surprise to me that u spend most of your life in front of a computer,lonely,manlsess,and horn.y as hell.u stupi.d binch,what flames am I fanning?were u blind when your boyfriend wrote that it was poor,uneducated, yoruba trash that encourage polygamy?were u blind then?why didn't u call him to order then?oh,its ok if the ibo does the dissing,right?oh u noticed that african americans are constantly in the tribalism section 'instigating'stuff.I noticed that too.did u also notice that the people we constantly accuse of being tribalists are the ibos?doesn't that tell u somethn?
FYI i didnt read his posts.
but i noticed yours and i knew you would be here spitting some more trash.
its called ignoring.
and your insults are so 2nd grade!
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by brooknam99: 2:56am On Dec 18, 2009
@the amaka,of course its not surprising that u wouldn't notice his post but would be quick to notice my retort!!!its even less suprising that my response to ur boyfriends blatant tribalist cra.p would be labelled by you as 'rubbish'.what does that say about you?should I tell u what I knw u are?I'm sure u know what I was gonna call u.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by sjeezy8: 3:08am On Dec 18, 2009
Igwe-1:

Who is talking about HIV. Don't you understand simple English. it is a social problem with lots of flaws in it. Read my post and you'll understand why polygamy is a cancer that will eventually kill a society like nigeria. Like i said, Only the Yorubas and Northeners who are radical and senseless polygamist are ones defending this archiac and obsolete practice. So much for being educated. Thats why the poverty rate in the North will remain above 80% and Southwest above 45%.

I doubt poverty in SW above 45% not to mention the SW is the only place in Nigeria where migrants from the SS SE and North come and live. So those are factors contributing to the rates of poverty and most likely the highest populations in Nigeria.

lol but where is the HGHEST HIV RATES LOCATED?

sjeezy8:

Nope but I do think there should be restrictions because polygamy DOES curve HIV/AIDS. The states in Nigeria that have the highest amount of Aids are those whos inhabitants dont practice polygamy as much but prostitution is the most likely.

[size=15pt]At the recent review of its activities for 2009 in Calabar, UNICEF said through its head of Enugu office, Mrs Pelusi Mtabirweki, that Benue, Akwa Ibom, Cross River, Imo states had prevalence rates of 10.6 percent, 9.7 percent, 8.0 and 4.8 respectively.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200912070398.html[/size]

Tribalize everything if you want but the facts is there
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by sjeezy8: 3:12am On Dec 18, 2009
and im not talking about including the north, in only the South the regions with the highest number of aids is the SE/SS.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Igwe12: 3:16am On Dec 18, 2009
Please grow up, Who is coming to southwest to live. I hope you're not talking about lagos which used to be a federal capital. Everyone in nigeria should and can live in Lagos because the money of the country was used to develop it. And so you know, the ports, majority of business, sales, imports/exports, cell phonees and banks are not controlled by the so called Yorubas there. Infact, Yorubas are the poorest ethnic group in lagos apart from the beggar almajiris there, so who is gaining?? Go look at the stats. I do not know any body from SE OR SS who dreams living in akure, or ekiti or ogun and others.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by sjeezy8: 3:30am On Dec 18, 2009
Igwe-1:

Please grow up, Who is coming to southwest to live. I hope you're not talking about lagos which used to be a federal capital. Every can in nigeria should and can live in Lagos because the money of the country was used to develop it. And so you know, the ports, majority of business, sales, imports/exports, cell phonees nd banks are not controlled by the so called Yorubas there. Infact, Yorubas are the poorest ethnic group in lagos apart from the beggar almajiris there, Go look at the stats. I do not know any body from SE OR SS who dreams living in akure, or ekiti or ogun and others.

lol maybe because yorubas are the largest ethnic group in lagos and maybe even Nigeria. Bad belle it sounds like

I could have sworn that Lagos is part of the SW zone. Why lie to yourself ? its very pityful
Either way you put it The SW of Nigeria including lagos is the most populated in Nigeria by its own indignes and migrants from the SS, SE, North and all over the world.

Village boy I dont want to stoop down to your level.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by sjeezy8: 3:34am On Dec 18, 2009
Infact its not a yoruba or north thing because almost every wealthy politician who is polygamous in Nigeria has an igbo lady as one of his wives. grin
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Igwe12: 3:40am On Dec 18, 2009
I will not argue with any of you people again. From all indications, i am apparently arguing with either high-school kids or kids that just graduated college with still no sense of direction. It is unfortunate that most of you come here in Niaraland to make flimsy arguments without understanding minor concepts and or the ability to dissect basic information. If i continue writing, i may never stop because it is hard to convince fools and illiterates because they may never burge nor understand. So, you people should believe what you want about the original post and the ensuing arguments. Maybe, it will satisfy your ignorance and give you some peace of mind.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by brooknam99: 3:41am On Dec 18, 2009
Lemme guess,the amaka is oblivious to her boyfriend's latest tribal rants!
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by THEAMAKA1: 3:45am On Dec 18, 2009
the thing is I DONT CARE!!
i just glance at the politics section nowadays cause its the same stuff everyday.
same type of threads started by the same people.
you seem to be having a cow over it.
its called ignoring.
the more you feed in, the more they rant.
even Seun doesnt help most of the time by dragging them to the front page.
its like blood to the sharks.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by H2O2: 3:46am On Dec 18, 2009
Igwe-1:

I will not argue with any of you people again. From all indications, i am apparently arguing with either high-school kids or kids that just graduated colleage with still no nense of direction. It is unfortunate that most of you come here in Niaraland to make flimsy arguments without understanding minor concepts and or the ability to dissect basic information. If i continue writing, i may never stop because it is hard to convince fools and illetrates because they may never burge nor understand. So, you people should believe what you want about the original post and the ensuing arguments. Maybe, it will satisfy your ignorance and give you some peace of mind.
You have been arguing with yourself you myopic сunt.
Your mind is too thwarted, and your so-called "arguments" are too thinly-veiled to be effective or taken seriously.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by brooknam99: 3:46am On Dec 18, 2009
Ah,professor igwe the first,yeah we are an uneducated bunch,but,could u please help us correct the following:burge;colleage;illetrates;with still no sense of direction? Thanx a lot for your time
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by sjeezy8: 3:49am On Dec 18, 2009
Igwe-1:

I will not argue with any of you people again. From all indications, i am apparently arguing with either high-school kids or kids that just graduated colleage with still no nense of direction. It is unfortunate that most of you come here in Niaraland to make flimsy arguments without understanding minor concepts and or the ability to dissect basic information. If i continue writing, i may never stop because it is hard to convince fools and illetrates because they may never burge nor understand. So, you people should believe what you want about the original post and the ensuing arguments. Maybe, it will satisfy your ignorance and give you some peace of mind.

Wow look at all these nice mispellings and grammatical errors within your post and yet youre calling others illetrates "illiterates".

Dont worry when your ready to come to lagos(part of the SW ZONE) you are welcome, just bring your money with you. wink
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by becomrich15: 6:45am On Dec 18, 2009
I did not say that there is no AIDS in nigeria. But i say, it is lower than the USA. I know what I am saying.
East Africa and south africa countries are the places in africa, where AIDS is high.

Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by brooknam99: 10:15am On Dec 18, 2009
Christ! is this for real?! this guy actually pulled out a map for this arguement?geez, im outta here!!!
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Nobody: 10:38am On Dec 18, 2009
@becomerich

the woman in your post is simply seeking for attention and not Justice, until the man became a senator thats when she is suing him for $100 million dollars (tif) and she is using the loopholes in the Us system, when the woman cries and whines then she is right, and everybody tells lies

@Eziachi
u are making a grave mistake trying to correlate, Polygamy to AIDS. both of them are not the same thing

Polygamy a man with many wives
Hiv a virus

now unfaithfulness and unprotected sex are one of the causes of HIV/Aids. but the question is , A polygamous family of 3 or 4 faithful to one man and he in turn faithful to 2 or 3 of his wives tell me would there be HIV in the picture?? NO

Hiv comes into the pic when one of the players decides to be unfaithful and plays outside match, the player then comes to distribute it to others, this is not a function of polygamy but a function of UNFAITHFULNESS

according to Davidylan the Tiger syndrome. in which i really dont blame him he just has his weaknesses and the women pounced on him. now tell me with all his exploits 10 or 11 known and the unknown women how come he does not have HIV- don't tell me he has protected sex that's why, if so u have bought into the idea that the western world preaches that Africans are Illiterates that why they have aids

i have lived in US and mostly in Europe and SA, Nigerian youths are not as morally flawed as most youths in these countries, but if u r here to say Nigeria's HIV is a time bomb then America's HIV status is a nuclear BOMB.

Mind you Condoms does not protect u from aids it only gives u the idea that u r protected but in actually sense it is not total protection, so tell me how come the western world especially in Europe that Prostitution is legal don't have High Aids Numbers, i really need to know how they protect them selves if they r not doing anything special then we can deduce that African countries inflate their AIDS numbers to receive Foreign AID for corrupt politician to line his pockets.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Eziachi: 11:12am On Dec 18, 2009
bebenlo007:

allow me to refer you to Isaiah 4 verse 1, and that reminds me, how come Pastors dont talk about this verse or is it not in their own Bible?

grin grin Pleeeeeeeez
Don't quote a scritpture you knew nothing about. Prophet Isaiah there is refering to one of the sign of the last day, which is exactly happening today, when some women will be running after a man even knowing that he is already in a marriage and makes no qualms about it.

I have heard even church going men trying to justify polygamy by refering to men like King David and his son Solomon, but they forgot that both men are not Christians and did not lived by Christian standard. Even in that era, you loyal servant of God of Isreal was polygamous, except Abraham and in his case, his God at a point asked him to send the second wife away and stick with his only wife Sarah.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Eziachi: 11:17am On Dec 18, 2009
sjeezy8:

and im not talking about including the north, in only the South the regions with the highest number of aids is the SE/SS.

I am not disputing your figure but when you said something is the highest, what is the figure of the other 30 states to compare. The UNICEF official, I will presume is talking about the figure of the area she control from her Enugu base.
What is the UNICEF figure for the rest of the states? I use the figure for Benue because that is the figure their own government released, they should know better than me because they are the one within problem.
In health issue, you don't make blanket statement with authentic figure to support it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Dimeji Bankole Finally Arrested By EFCC / 3-day Ultimatum To Abandoned Vehicles’ Owners In Lagos / Ernest Shonekan Celebrates His 80th Birthday Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.