Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,948 members, 7,873,039 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 07:05 AM

My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate (36964 Views)

My Son Is Getting Married Without My Approval. / Our Daughter Got Married Without Our knowledge / My Sister Got Pregnant At 21 And My Dad Is Not Taking It Lightly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by surrogatesng: 10:37pm On Apr 06, 2018
You have done the right thing

5 Likes

Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by dust144(m): 10:38pm On Apr 06, 2018
Please mediate trust yourself
Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by FarahAideed: 10:38pm On Apr 06, 2018
I don't understand ? Are they expecting you to go and beg another man to take back your sister

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by ifyalways(f): 10:39pm On Apr 06, 2018
Hmmm
Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by Apina(m): 10:39pm On Apr 06, 2018
KOPT33:
I am the first son of my father who is now late.

When my father died some 11 years ago, I relocated to Lagos to finish my schooling. I lived with my aunt then but I had to leave their home because I was being abused. Upon leaving my aunt's house, things became so difficult for me but I persevered with my education till I finished my bachelors.

During my lean years, I fell out with most of my family members. My mom refused to speak to me for three years, I was essentially the outcast of the family. During this period, my mom and some elders in our family gave out my sisters hand in marriage.

The couple had a trad/white wedding. Bride price was paid, all the customs of our people were followed save for one: the consent or knowledge of the first son. I wouldn't get to hear about this marriage until six months later. That night, I cried because their action proved that I was nobody, a nothing to my mom and siblings.

Anyways, I kept on working hard and soon became comfortable. I mended fences with everyone in my family, but even at that, no one offered an explanation why things unfolded the way it did or an apology. I didn't make any noise, I just picked up myself and moved on after committing the lessons learned to mind.

Six years and two children later, my sisters marriage has hit the rocks.

Now they're asking me as the first born to mediate and talk to the man.

I REFUSED.

The man (sister's husband) won't speak to my mom or the other elders he had been dealing with regarding a possible reconciliation. My family know me to be a good mediator and peace maker and they are not wrong.

I refused because there is no point mediating in a marriage that was done over my head.

As it stands now, I have no interest in playing head of house or anything of such nature. I send money, I help make connections, I foot bills for everyone in the family but I leave their decision making to them since they discounted me right from the very beginning. I have no interest whatsoever in becoming a leader in that family.

What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Exactly what you did nd even more. Let them carry their cross, just imagine the nonsense and buhari. They buried you before your time and then expect you whom they called dead to do what exctly? if I were you, would have remained dead to them no matter what. But just for the sake of the children your sister has, do something for her if u can cos I believe they are still very young to be exposed to the kind of difficult life you had when you lost your father though the circumstances might be different, cos a typical Nigerian would remarry and forget he even has children with another woman.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by jimcaddy(m): 10:39pm On Apr 06, 2018
Just let them be, continue your own hustle and foot the bills when necessary. Let your sister settle her marriage by herself. No one settles marriage better than the couple themselves.
KOPT33:

When my father died some 11 years ago, I relocated to Lagos to finish my schooling. I lived with my aunt then but I had to leave their home because I was being abused. Upon leaving my aunt's house, things became so difficult for me but I persevered with my education till I finished my bachelors.

During my lean years, I fell out with most of my family members. My mom refused to speak to me for three years, I was essentially the outcast of the family. During this period, my mom and some elders in our family gave out my sisters hand in marriage.

The couple had a trad/white wedding. Bride price was paid, all the customs of our people were followed save for one: the consent or knowledge of the first son. I wouldn't get to hear about this marriage until six months later. That night, I cried because their action proved that I was nobody, a nothing to my mom and siblings.

Anyways, I kept on working hard and soon became comfortable. I mended fences with everyone in my family, but even at that, no one offered an explanation why things unfolded the way it did or an apology. I didn't make any noise, I just picked up myself and moved on after committing the lessons learned to mind.

I REFUSED.

The man (sister's husband) won't speak to my mom or the other elders he had been dealing with regarding a possible reconciliation. My family know me to be a good mediator and peace maker and they are not wrong.

I refused because there is no point mediating in a marriage that was done over my head.

As it stands now, I have no interest in playing head of house or anything of such nature. I send money, I help make connections, I foot bills for everyone in the family but I leave their decision making to them since they discounted me right from the very beginning. I have no interest whatsoever in becoming a leader in that family.

6 Likes

Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by agabaI23(m): 10:42pm On Apr 06, 2018
KOPT33
You are carrying the financial burden of the family already. You are already a leader.

You want to add 3 more mouths? Your sis and her kids will become your responsibility.

You haven't forgiven them yet. You can ask them why they ignored you to hear their explanation.

10 Likes

Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by Nobody: 10:43pm On Apr 06, 2018
My advice.. Tell the warring parties that u r ready to mediate in the crisis.. Fix venue for Eko hotel and suite(all expenses paid by Dem), ask to be lodged in the presidential suite of the hotel �, chows and wines to be provided for u truout d duration of the reconciliation, consultancy fees paid to ur manager, Tel Dem u wee compile ur report and send Dem ur finding and recommendations on a later date, Den set up a committee to draw up modalities for a sustainable and enduring marital status report of ur sister and allocate resources to Implement the findings of d committee...
If all dis ma explanations no understand u,den call me for further explanation... Am ready to assist in my little way to solve the impasses... Wat r friend for??

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by chuksanambra: 10:43pm On Apr 06, 2018
agabaI23:
KOPT33
You are carrying the financial burden of the family already. You are already a leader.

You want to add 3 more mouths? Your sis and her kids will become your responsibility.

You haven't forgiven them yet. You can ask them why they ignored you to hear their explanation.

Hmmn...
That's another angle.

OP, you're about to fall into a trap.
As it stands, you're blameless in that sham marriage. They can't blame you because they never involved you. Now that it's going bad, if you dare interfere, they'll blame you if it gets worse. They would say you didn't give it your best shot or you killed the marriage finally.

Let them bury the still-born marriage they gave birth to. Stay out of this their madness.

9 Likes

Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by MSAdeyinka: 10:44pm On Apr 06, 2018
U av made the mistake from the beginning , even though u may young when ur father died, but u knw that ur position irrespective of ur age is to take the position of ur after after his death, u shd av stand ur ground irrespective of ur mother or pastors nonsense talk and let them realise u knw ur right and ur stand , but all hope is not lost , ur siblings still remain ur blood , it maybe painful and the fault is both sides , so jst safe ur sister marriage from abuse and collapse and take the lead .

1 Like

Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by talk2bity: 10:45pm On Apr 06, 2018
Na so. shocked
Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by YorubaAssasin: 10:46pm On Apr 06, 2018
OP, just perform ur responsibilities as the pusedo-family head. shocked

Let it go and move on hence, it becomes a mountain before you. It's one of the rare traits of leadership, trust me. cool

I pray God grant you divine wisdom and guidance!
Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by ChiefSweetus: 10:46pm On Apr 06, 2018
Fair dues, OP.

If you initiate mediation and it fails, guess who the blame will be on for exacerbating a potentially salvageable issue? Lol (that's what it'll be then because people like to blame others for their mistakes and misfortunes)..

You have done everything right up to this point. I suggest you continue on your path of strategic aloofness. In the words of Chinua Achebe, "you are blameless."

13 Likes

Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by agabaI23(m): 10:47pm On Apr 06, 2018
KOPT33
Another thing is, you have to be grateful to your family in a way because they helped with your success today.

2 Likes

Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by Donjazzy12(m): 10:47pm On Apr 06, 2018
KOPT33:

I REFUSED.

Never you belittle yourself to accept that nonsense. If they are serious, they know what to do.

If you accept the role of mediator, it means you have accepted the rubbishing of your role as the first Son.

Don't be like Esau who sold his birthright for a pot of beans. Hold your ground.

23 Likes

Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by swazpedro(m): 10:48pm On Apr 06, 2018
KOPT33:

I REFUSED.

The true meaning of forgiveness is doing what you would have done, if the incident didn't happen, I you have truly forgotten the past, then mediate and let everything be like it didn't happen, I feel your pain though
Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by XwhY(m): 10:48pm On Apr 06, 2018
Let go.
You may not be able to forget how much they have hurt you, but you need to forgive.
Do whatever in your capacity to help your sister if you have been invited. I'm sure you will earn their respect.
Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by adozie(m): 10:50pm On Apr 06, 2018
My brother, I feel you, however keep in mind that love can also hurt. I have come to learn that sometimes when people love too much they can act out in different ways.
You are the head of the family, it is your God given right. I get the feeling that your mum and siblings expected a lot more from you in your dark days. If you are sincere to yourself, you might be able to recollect that you probably fell below their expectations then, or so they thought.
Now you have proven them wrong. You have worked hard to be where you are today and the respect have come back.
I urge you to seize the moment. I know you hurt and you have every reason to hurt, but you will be a bigger person by putting the past behind you. Be the head that God made you and has now restored you.
Good luck.

1 Like

Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by xammy(m): 10:51pm On Apr 06, 2018
KOPT33:

This is an opportunity to seal your position in the family, you can start WW2 if you refuse l.

I REFUSED.

Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by LordKO(m): 10:55pm On Apr 06, 2018
@OP

I share in your stance of being an absolutist. However, don't forget the importance of diplomacy. Believe you me, your refusal to mediate at this juncture will only mean that you've neither forget their unfairness towards you nor forgiven them. The former is justifiable but the latter isn't.

Forgive them thoroughly. Go ahead to mediate and remember to do so conscientiously. The feelings that usually come from the final result of living life on the offensive side rather than the defensive side is always so pleasurable.

6 Likes

Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by xammy(m): 10:56pm On Apr 06, 2018
NwanyiAwkaetiti:
Tell them to complete the custom so you can act as a mediator or you let go of the past. Our Nigerian society gives less respect and attention to a poor struggling man. It's bad but that's just the reality in which we find ourselves in.

They can't complete it now, the storm is not over bro

1 Like

Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by Nobody: 10:56pm On Apr 06, 2018
Wetin come concern public with this issue now?

3 Likes

Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by Holuwatoobii(m): 10:59pm On Apr 06, 2018
Just leave 'em to their issue, the husband perhaps didn't even know that you existed, there's no point in mediating

3 Likes

Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by JennyJuggs: 11:01pm On Apr 06, 2018
raphafire:
Wetin come concern public with this issue now?
He needs advice okay? Any other problem?

7 Likes

Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by Coldfeets: 11:03pm On Apr 06, 2018
Stop deceiving yourself biko.

You are relishing this moment because you've always prayed for it.

Now it's your turn to take your own pound of flesh and you want to take your time in having a perfect revenge.

My friend please just go and save your sister's marriage... if you can.

Revenge is sweet but an eye for an eye will leave everyone blind.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by Nobody: 11:04pm On Apr 06, 2018
JennyJuggs:

He needs advice okay? Any other problem?
He needs advice from Nairaland....okay
Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by Tubanchi(m): 11:04pm On Apr 06, 2018
To err is HUMAN but to FORGIVE is DIVINE.

1 Like

Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by HeavenShield: 11:05pm On Apr 06, 2018
Talk to God about it, and he will tell you what to do, SIMPLE..
Cheers Guy,
(IT IS PAINFUL..FOR SUCH A NEGLECT FROM YOUR FAMILY ON YOU..and as you said, you never know if there was any marriage..that seems sensible..)

..but

Talk to God about it, and he will tell you what to do, SIMPLE..

1 Like

Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by JennyJuggs: 11:07pm On Apr 06, 2018
raphafire:

He needs advice from Nairaland....okay
Nor be human being dey d nairaland? He is gonna have a lot of suggestions, criticisms and a large audience. We still have sane people here.

2 Likes

Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by IAmAmbrose(m): 11:09pm On Apr 06, 2018
A popular ibadan adage says.... Too Hair is woman... To forgive is design undecided.... Please forgive them

2 Likes

Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by DukeNija(m): 11:10pm On Apr 06, 2018
KOPT33:

Tradition is tradition.

In my place, if a piece of custom is not followed, it can still be done even after 100 years. The question no one has answered is why a simple phone call was not placed to me. Till today, no one has even bothered to explain or apologize.

Elders do not go to gatherings they were never invited to in the first place.

You are a man and I respect your decision. You are even kind to have forgiven them. I can’t imagine my own family abandoning me. God forbid!
Indeed, a mans true enemies are members of his household - Jesus Christ

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

My 7 Year Old Nephew Fingered A 3 Year Old Girl / Incredible! Read The Best Divorce Letter I Have Seen Exchanged By A Couple / Twin Sisters Share The Same Husband

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.