Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,940 members, 7,873,021 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 06:51 AM

My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate (36961 Views)

My Son Is Getting Married Without My Approval. / Our Daughter Got Married Without Our knowledge / My Sister Got Pregnant At 21 And My Dad Is Not Taking It Lightly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by Nobody: 6:03am On Apr 07, 2018
KOPT33:

Tradition is tradition.

In my place, if a piece of custom is not followed, it can still be done even after 100 years. The question no one has answered is why a simple phone call was not placed to me. Till today, no one has even bothered to explain or apologize.

Elders do not go to gatherings they were never invited to in the first place.

bros u too mature walahi, let them fix the problem themselves. u have being ignored
Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by goodnewscliff(m): 6:09am On Apr 07, 2018
Patented:
She is still your sister, if you have an opportunity to try and ensure her happiness i think you should take it.
You can give them a piece of your mind after. Especially if u are successful in the mediation
i hate when a family member messes up so bad,, someone comes up and say she or he is still ma blood.... Even though what s/he did is worth divorcing dem in ur mind
Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by iguita: 6:11am On Apr 07, 2018
Bro, I support your decision a hundred per cent, you have not erred if you stick to your guns. But I want you to reconsider. I want you to reconsider because you/God has taught your family a lesson. Remember what they said about the forgotten stone becoming the chief cornerstone? That is what you are now. If you were still poor/rotten/forgotten, then it's OK not to mediate... They wouldn't even come to meet you sef. But for now? Baba you have been vindicated. Mediate for sister and keep riding high.
KOPT33:

I am an absolutist: as far as I am concerned, there was no marriage. I have satisfied my conscience though.

1 Like

Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by conscienceman4(m): 6:12am On Apr 07, 2018
This is a divine arrangement to assert your position in the family. Do not be surprised if I tell you it is because they did not acknowledge you is the reason for the problem, knowing that in this case you are your father.

1 Like

Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by goodnewscliff(m): 6:12am On Apr 07, 2018
They will need to apologize gaannn!!!!! For everything...... Dats d only ground i would wanna wear d leading shoes again!!!! What nonsense!!!? What did they take u for?? For some shittt undecided.... This shit iz disturbing angry
Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by Danchibez: 6:12am On Apr 07, 2018
linearity:
You should stay put and don’t mediate.

Traditional and custom wise, as far as you are concern, your sister is not yet married. They have to complete what the customs dictates before you make any move.

As the first son, you are the custodial of your family customs and traditions and cannot be seem as the one helping to undermine it. Tell your Sister and your Mom that, you are not aware of her marriage and that, your door is open, if they want to come and make things right.

And it does not require much to make things right, in my place, a bottle of wine or local gin is enough, it is not that you need their money or for them to come and pay homage to you.

U made my points and that is d tradition which must b observed
Don't be surprise that d traditional negligence could b d resultant of d marriage crash ... Karma don't disappoint
Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by goodnewscliff(m): 6:14am On Apr 07, 2018
Danchibez:

U made my points and that is d tradition which must b observed
Don't be surprise that d traditional negligence could b d resultant of d marriage crash ... Karma don't disappoint
lol..... U self!!!!
Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by PrimadonnaO(f): 6:25am On Apr 07, 2018
KOPT33:

I am an absolutist: as far as I am concerned, there was no marriage. I have satisfied my conscience though.

Don't forget that you'll get married soon...and you'll also need your family. Family is indispensable, trust me.

My own concern here, though, is that, the husband may not take you seriously, knowing that he married your sister without coming to seek your consent, and of course, your family made him feel you weren't relevant.

1 Like

Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by ObservantFellow: 6:27am On Apr 07, 2018
When I married my wife, her father was late and I observed certain rites which the first son, supported by his uncle, took charge of. That was very key to the whole traditional process.

I wasn't even angry before typing this. Now that I've typed this, I think he has a strong heart to have even mended fences. If nah me angry.. Fence catch fire. As long as I'm concerned, I've been disrespected. The only solution is for all my rites from day 1 to be observed wherever they may have been neglected, not just the marriage. And also, a suitable fine payable as set by the customs. Then we can look into laying foundation for any fence when I deem it fit. Traditions are there for certain reasons

5 Likes

Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by sleekman(m): 6:29am On Apr 07, 2018
This reminds me of one of the judges in Israel that was the son of concubine or harlot can't really remember. He was denied his inheritance when his father died so he left and went to another country where he became strong, wealthy and successful. His clansmen came to beg him to deliver them from the hands of the Philipstines. He initially refused, but later agreed by shrewdly renegotiating to be their leader. My brother your answer is in the book of Judges. God has given you authority and has disgraced your enemies wherever they are. They have acknowledged their faults, bitten the dust and come to you. Forgive, negotiate shrewdly and lead. Na God do am.

3 Likes

Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by ObservantFellow: 6:29am On Apr 07, 2018
PrimadonnaO:

Don't forget that you'll get married soon...and you'll also need your family. Family is indispensable, trust me.

My own concern here, though, is that, the husband may not take you seriously, knowing that he married your sister without coming to seek your consent, and of course, your family made him feel you weren't relevant.

I'm assuming he's igbo. He is a man. A man doesn't need his family to get married. He just needs a spokesman. And probably a negotiator from the lady's side. Others are mere witnesses.

1 Like

Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by tsmat(m): 6:33am On Apr 07, 2018
just do the right thing by trying your best to SAVE A MARRIAGE from collapsing...... you are bigger than them all combined.
Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by PrimadonnaO(f): 6:34am On Apr 07, 2018
ObservantFellow:

I'm assuming he's igbo. He is a man. A man doesn't need his family to get married. He just needs a spokesman. And probably a negotiator from the lady's side. Others are mere witnesses.

It goes beyond the ceremony. But I get your point. The family aspect isn't as much a big deal for the man as it is for the woman. But still...
Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by Truth290: 6:35am On Apr 07, 2018
To err is human and to forgive is divine
Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by colossus91(m): 6:36am On Apr 07, 2018
bro see for me I feel u should not dabble into it,at first u weren't aware nor invited to the wedding,now it hits the rock u should now be mediator? let the dead bury the dead oooh I.e let them that collected bride price sort the shit out!!
Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by jodeci(m): 6:36am On Apr 07, 2018
This is the best thread I have encountered on nairaland in recent years.Fruitful,resultful and rewarding exchange of ideas without insult,acrimony or tribal jabs,who said Nigeria cannot be a better place if we all work together like this.

I have learnt a lot from this thread.God bless us all.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by JoshB92: 6:36am On Apr 07, 2018
Like you already made up your mind and I don't blame you for that cus I will also do thesame if I was in your shoe, your mother and sister should not have called you for anything regarding your sister's marriage if they knew the gravity of what they have done to you,but maybe they are thinking that "shebi na our blood,e don forget"

But my advise is this, wait for them to call you again then, without complaining try and settle the matter when everything is settled sit them all down and make them realize their mistake.
Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by PrimadonnaO(f): 6:40am On Apr 07, 2018
JennyJuggs:

Nor be human being dey d nairaland? He is gonna have a lot of suggestions, criticisms and a large audience. We still have sane people here.

He's incapable of giving good advice, so he assumes everyone is like him.

1 Like

Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by Emitexdbaron: 6:41am On Apr 07, 2018
My guy, you do not make it in life by your own effort or ability, God Almighty who never sleep nor slumper make it posible for you. Do not reward "evil wit evil" rather with good. Has a human, you have all right to be angry, but I beg of you to forgive them all and play your part has a father who is a roll model and the leader in the house. Save her marriage for her and she will look back, love and respect you for life. Am show her happy living will has well gladen your heart so be a man. I am the first son of my family too. God bless you, your family, and your household in Jesus Christ Mighty name I pray. SHALOM.
Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by PrimadonnaO(f): 6:42am On Apr 07, 2018
sleekman:
This reminds me of one of the judges in Israel that was the son of concubine or harlot can't really remember. He was denied his inheritance when his father died so he left and went to another country where he became strong, wealthy and successful. His clansmen came to beg him to deliver them from the hands of the Philipstines. He initially refused, but later agreed by shrewdly renegotiating to be their leader. My brother your answer is in the book of Judges. God has given you authority and has disgraced your enemies wherever they are. They have acknowledged their faults, bitten the dust and come to you. Forgive, negotiate shrewdly and lead. Na God do am. @kopt33
Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by PrimadonnaO(f): 6:44am On Apr 07, 2018
goodnewscliff:
lol..... U self!!!!

Joking apart...it could be. These things are more serious than they seem on the surface.
Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by emelda86(f): 6:44am On Apr 07, 2018
I feel your pain but don't sell your birth right like Esau & Jacob,,,u can as well let your Mom & other FAM members know how u feel about what they did remind them all they did to you hear from them so that u will be free. Then u can interfere as the head that you are.
Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by perfectgen(m): 6:45am On Apr 07, 2018
KOPT33:

I am actually clear-headed with everyone in my family. Just that I live in self-perpetuated ignorance of my sisters marriage.

What would have been your reaction to the whole thing if you were me?

Same thing your father would have wanted. Given that you were ignored or totally abandoned during the said sister's wedding, there is always a place for forgiveness and sympathy.
Seriously, being a father requires many things including dropping ones ego and desires to satisfy that of one's children. Being the head of the family now puts your father's burden on you and I can't bet that no matter what, your dad will never watch in disorientation his daughter's marriage pack up like cards when he can mediate.
This is even the best time to earn that head of family title as other than monetarily and responsibility-wise, there is also the emotional requirement for such roles.
Take your time to study the situation, wade in where you can, settle them amicably then demand for completion of the marriage rites according to your custom; you will end up gaining not just your sister and mom's respect but that of your in-laws too.
Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by Speedo17(m): 6:45am On Apr 07, 2018
Woow! your story is inspiring and so positive. You have done well and will continue doing well. The matter is marital and such issues are very delicate wether you were there during the marriage or not. And as the Leader that you are (Cos I believe you are one), your input must not deviate from what both parties want because NO ONE CAN GIVE YOU A BETTER ADVICE THAN YOU (esp on issues like marriage) so carefully and diplomatically guide them to sort it for themselves. Lest when they become sweet tomorrow they will say you had wanted to break their marriage (Which is also against the law of God).
Above all don't stop praying for them and taking care of your sister whenever you can.
Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by enochogaga(m): 6:47am On Apr 07, 2018
I was experienced something like this,

But one elder woman told me something which I will never ever forget,
she said, u been an elder it means, u like u are being a rag where all ur junior will come and clean their dirty legs and hands(bad character and attitudes even through all insult to) she said but as an elder u have the ability to absorb and look away their wrong, because u be elder and u are there to guild, correct and protect them.

3 Likes

Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by Bossontop(m): 6:51am On Apr 07, 2018
Well op u nw av d different opinions u wanted....it is now up to u to sift thru dem and act wisely
#Godspeed
Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by Adekdammy: 6:52am On Apr 07, 2018
Like I will always preach, Let go and Let God, forgive them and do all you can to bring peace to your sister's home.

Forgiveness is the best therapy to curing hurt.
Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by hysteriabox(m): 6:54am On Apr 07, 2018
KOPT33:
I am the first son of my father who is now late.

When my father died some 11 years ago, I relocated to Lagos to finish my schooling. I lived with my aunt then but I had to leave their home because I was being abused. Upon leaving my aunt's house, things became so difficult for me but I persevered with my education till I finished my bachelors.

During my lean years, I fell out with most of my family members. My mom refused to speak to me for three years, I was essentially the outcast of the family. During this period, my mom and some elders in our family gave out my sisters hand in marriage.

The couple had a trad/white wedding. Bride price was paid, all the customs of our people were followed save for one: the consent or knowledge of the first son. I wouldn't get to hear about this marriage until six months later. That night, I cried because their action proved that I was nobody, a nothing to my mom and siblings.

Anyways, I kept on working hard and soon became comfortable. I mended fences with everyone in my family, but even at that, no one offered an explanation why things unfolded the way it did or an apology. I didn't make any noise, I just picked up myself and moved on after committing the lessons learned to mind.

Six years and two children later, my sisters marriage has hit the rocks.

Now they're asking me as the first born to mediate and talk to the man.

I REFUSED.

The man (sister's husband) won't speak to my mom or the other elders he had been dealing with regarding a possible reconciliation. My family know me to be a good mediator and peace maker and they are not wrong.

I refused because there is no point mediating in a marriage that was done over my head.

As it stands now, I have no interest in playing head of house or anything of such nature. I send money, I help make connections, I foot bills for everyone in the family but I leave their decision making to them since they discounted me right from the very beginning. I have no interest whatsoever in becoming a leader in that family.

What would you do if you were in my shoes?
Lol.
I urge you to forgive whatever wrong you may have been dealt. However, let them sleep on the bed they made. I experience something similar to yours- so called family neglecting you because you are a nobody.
Three ppl you should never forget- ppl who helped you in difficulty, ppl who left you in difficulty and ppl who put you in difficulty. It's not hatred or unforgiveness, its the fact that actions ll always have consequences. Let them sleep tight on the bed they made

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by micflo28(m): 6:54am On Apr 07, 2018
Its heart wrenching. Your position as the eldest son wasn't asserted as a result of your financial status. Tradition is tradition, choose to be a man, demand for a small wedding and your position recognised before you intervene. However they managed to jump the rope; evading tradition, demand that the proper thing be done.
Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by Nobody: 6:55am On Apr 07, 2018
KOPT33:
I am the first son of my father who is now late.

When my father died some 11 years ago, I relocated to Lagos to finish my schooling. I lived with my aunt then but I had to leave their home because I was being abused. Upon leaving my aunt's house, things became so difficult for me but I persevered with my education till I finished my bachelors.

During my lean years, I fell out with most of my family members. My mom refused to speak to me for three years, I was essentially the outcast of the family. During this period, my mom and some elders in our family gave out my sisters hand in marriage.

The couple had a trad/white wedding. Bride price was paid, all the customs of our people were followed save for one: the consent or knowledge of the first son. I wouldn't get to hear about this marriage until six months later. That night, I cried because their action proved that I was nobody, a nothing to my mom and siblings.

Anyways, I kept on working hard and soon became comfortable. I mended fences with everyone in my family, but even at that, no one offered an explanation why things unfolded the way it did or an apology. I didn't make any noise, I just picked up myself and moved on after committing the lessons learned to mind.

Six years and two children later, my sisters marriage has hit the rocks.

Now they're asking me as the first born to mediate and talk to the man.

I REFUSED.

The man (sister's husband) won't speak to my mom or the other elders he had been dealing with regarding a possible reconciliation. My family know me to be a good mediator and peace maker and they are not wrong.

I refused because there is no point mediating in a marriage that was done over my head.

As it stands now, I have no interest in playing head of house or anything of such nature. I send money, I help make connections, I foot bills for everyone in the family but I leave their decision making to them since they discounted me right from the very beginning. I have no interest whatsoever in becoming a leader in that family.

What would you do if you were in my shoes?
Good for you. Like Oprah says, when someone is showing you who they are, listen. Don't throw away the lessons you have learnt @op

Forgiveness is not blindness and its good you have forgiven. People who do that should be treated with care because they will turn against you all over again at the first opportunity. So handle them with care.
Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by tiredoflife(m): 6:56am On Apr 07, 2018
My brother
You better don't go near
I am urohobo
All this forgive and forget doesn't work in my place
Juju Wey u suppose dey worship u no worship am cos u be Christian
Now its time for d juju waiting for u to put mouth for wetin no concern u
Cos then it has all legal right to strike
The word of God says whosoever break the edge the serpent will strike
I beg u don't go near that marriage
Only if u wan die
My place say u don dey even think am
Eriwi don dey warm up to strike u
They are not married till they allow u pour drink for ground on thier behalf
I ve an uncle who died on the spot for not doing his father's burial first just because he didn't ve money and his step brothers and sisters from his mother's other marriage insisted they will bury the mum with or without him
He went for the burial but was warned he was not to drink even water
He went and took a drink
As he got home
He was struck by the gods
Until they do the right thing
Don't put ur mouth
Let them and ur mother go to the elder that received the bride price grin
Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by Sparkle777(f): 6:57am On Apr 07, 2018
Let it go,bro. Do what you have to do as the first son. Maybe that's why God blessed you beyond their expectations.
Go on, mend fences and love deeply.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

My 7 Year Old Nephew Fingered A 3 Year Old Girl / Incredible! Read The Best Divorce Letter I Have Seen Exchanged By A Couple / Twin Sisters Share The Same Husband

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.