Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,840 members, 7,930,907 topics. Date: Sunday, 25 August 2024 at 11:36 AM

Have U Ever Experienced Injustice Abroad? - Politics (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Have U Ever Experienced Injustice Abroad? (11738 Views)

Poll: Have You Ever Experienced It?

Yes: 57% (26 votes)
No: 42% (19 votes)
This poll has ended

Another Injustice Against Igbos As Common Entrance Cut Off Mark Is Released / Nigerians Where Are This Bloody Trains,have U Ever Sighted Them? / Injustice Over Nkiru Sylvanus Kidnap (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have U Ever Experienced Injustice Abroad? by SEFAGO(m): 3:27am On Jun 07, 2010
Too much hate, not enough lovin, such a sad world
Re: Have U Ever Experienced Injustice Abroad? by davidif: 4:35am On Jun 07, 2010
SEFAGO:

Too much hate, not enough lovin, such a sad world

so so sad.
Re: Have U Ever Experienced Injustice Abroad? by Nobody: 5:16am On Jun 07, 2010
See as everybody is claiming "I have Igbo friends" and "My girlfriend is temidayo" . . . .

@Iyalode

I'm sure you do grin
Re: Have U Ever Experienced Injustice Abroad? by davidif: 6:50am On Jun 07, 2010
FL Gators:

See as everybody is claiming "I have Igbo friends" and "My girlfriend is temidayo" . . . .

@Iyalode

I'm sure you do grin

he he he.
Re: Have U Ever Experienced Injustice Abroad? by davidif: 7:14pm On Jun 08, 2010
mrbrownjay
Your reports on brazil were very derpessingly true. How could a country with a majority black population have no black people in the media?http://video.nytimes.com/video/2010/06/08/world/americas/1247468006067/finding-supermodels-in-rural-brazil.html
Re: Have U Ever Experienced Injustice Abroad? by sage(m): 8:05pm On Jun 08, 2010
davidif:

mrbrownjay
Your reports on brazil were very derpessingly true. How could a country with a majority black population have no black people in the media?http://video.nytimes.com/video/2010/06/08/world/americas/1247468006067/finding-supermodels-in-rural-brazil.html

I dont think Brazil has a majority black population. No where close to that at all. If you are talking about the mixed White, Amerindian and Black population thats a different thing entirely
Re: Have U Ever Experienced Injustice Abroad? by Nobody: 8:51pm On Jun 08, 2010
sage:

I dont think Brazil has a majority black population. No where close to that at all. If you are talking about the mixed White, Amerindian and Black population thats a different thing entirely

here enjoy this great reportage on the issue(to prove you wrong) and look closely and try to count how many black person you see in the university classes/halls etc. you will be surprised!!!!

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/wideangle/episodes/brazil-in-black-and-white/video-full-episode/2104/
Re: Have U Ever Experienced Injustice Abroad? by davidif: 10:20am On Jun 09, 2010
Re: Have U Ever Experienced Injustice Abroad? by Nobody: 2:22am On Jun 11, 2010
^^^^its the same as your previous link. . . . . . . . i like the way this guy talks about looking for "gals with the right genetic cocktail of German and Italian ancestry, perhaps with some Russian or other Slavic blood thrown in"
black/brown sistas no need to apply!!!!
Re: Have U Ever Experienced Injustice Abroad? by davidif: 5:48am On Jun 11, 2010
MRbrownJAY:

^^^^its the same as your previous link. . . . . . . . i like the way this guy talks about looking for "gals with the right genetic cocktail of German and Italian ancestry, perhaps with some Russian or other Slavic blood thrown in"
black/brown sistas no need to apply!!!!

Yeah, that part pissed me off. Its like they treat those genes as special than others. I just can't wait for Africa to develop so that our tastes would now have a major part in the worldwide industry and not have to succumb to the drum beats of western consumers because we would have our own fashion empires with our own fly supermodels and not some skinny slavic chick. I just can't wait to see people of Genievive Nnaji's complexion on the magazine in all the newstands everywhere you go. There is a fashion website for Africanos called bhfmagazine.com

I sawyour documentary link and it pissed me off that 83% of Afro brazillians would not even admit to being called black, that was appalling. As horrible and as unjustifiable as Jim Crow and apartheid were, that exclusion from mainstream society created a siege mentality and at least fostered a black identity and even though blacks still looked down on themselves, with the help of the black power movement and people like malcolm x and Nelson, eventually blacks in the US and SA became proud and confident of themselves. In the US, black people at least have an identity and they are even proud of it, even mariah carey proudly waves her "afro" flag. In other latin american countries, halle berry and Barack obama would be called white but because of America's history of segregation, and the black power movement in the 60's and 70's blacks are proud of there identities. Brazil needs its own "i am black and i am proud" moment.

Another thing is that some of this people who called themselves white in the video would not even be mistaken for that. This brazillians remind of cubans who hate being called latino, they claim they are white, so so sad,  who are they decieving?

On a non related note, i saw femi's performance on pbs, boy was it electrifying. http://video.pbs.org/video/1511440271/
Re: Have U Ever Experienced Injustice Abroad? by SEFAGO(m): 6:01am On Jun 11, 2010
He performed "truth don die" but it was not as good as his original I love that song- so sad oyibo people would never be privy to the metaphors
Re: Have U Ever Experienced Injustice Abroad? by AngieFan(f): 7:02am On Jun 11, 2010
A good friend of mine is of Igbo descent and an expert in all things hispanic/South American so much so that she is now a qualified teacher teaching Spanish in a London school which is a feat seen as she was born and brought up in London speaking English.
After Uni she lived in Columbia for a year where they tried to convince her that she was a mulatto or a quadroon because her skin tone was so pale as some Igbos are.
Terms such as 'mulatto' 'quadroon' etc are very much common there and people darker than her would use them to identify themselves rather than just pure black.  These people outright refused to believe that she was of pure African descent and it was a shock to the system for them to meet my 'yellow' friend who told them straight that everybody in her family including her was pure African. It is pretty much like that across the whole South American continent and so I am not surprised that it is also like that in Brazil.
Re: Have U Ever Experienced Injustice Abroad? by davidif: 2:36pm On Jun 12, 2010
AngieFan:

A good friend of mine is of Igbo descent and an expert in all things hispanic/South African so much so that she is now a qualified teacher teaching Spanish in a London school which is a feat seen as she was born and brought up in London speaking English.
After Uni she lived in Columbia for a year where they tried to convince her that she was a mulatto or a quadroon because her skin tone was so pale as some Igbos are.
Terms such as 'mulatto' 'quadroon' etc are very much common there and people darker than her would use them to identify themselves rather than just pure black. These people outright refused to believe that she was of pure African descent and it was a shock to the system for them to meet my 'yellow' friend who told them straight that everybody in her family including her was pure African. It is pretty much like that across the whole South American continent and so I am not surprised that it is also like that in Brazil.

At least she didn't deny her ethnicity. By the way, do you mean Colombia, south america ro columbia, south carolina?
Re: Have U Ever Experienced Injustice Abroad? by SEFAGO(m): 2:40pm On Jun 12, 2010
she means colombia the country in south america. South American countries have a lot of classifications for people depending on different color gradations. Its hilarious- the list is like 1000. This is the one for mexico:

1. Mestizo: Spanish father and Indian mother
2. Castizo: Spanish father and Mestizo mother
3. Espomolo: Spanish mother and Castizo father
4. Mulatto: Spanish and black African
5. Moor: Spanish and Mulatto
6. Albino: Spanish father and Moor mother
7. Throwback: Spanish father and Albino mother
8. Wolf: Throwback father and Indian mother
9. Zambiago: Wolf father and Indian mother
10. Cambujo: Zambiago father and Indian mother
11. Alvarazado: Cambujo father and Mulatto mother
12. Borquino: Alvarazado father and Mulatto mother
13. Coyote: Borquino father and Mulatto mother
14. Chamizo: Coyote father and Mulatto mother
15. Coyote-Mestizo: Cahmizo father and Mestizo mother
16. Ahi Tan Estas: Coyote-Mestizo father and Mulatto mother
Re: Have U Ever Experienced Injustice Abroad? by davidif: 12:58am On Jun 13, 2010
SEFAGO:

she means colombia the country in south america. South American countries have a lot of classifications for people depending on different color gradations. Its hilarious- the list is like 1000. This is the one for mexico:

Men that list is disgusting. Thank goodness for the one drop rule.
Re: Have U Ever Experienced Injustice Abroad? by sage(m): 3:23am On Jun 13, 2010
SEFAGO:

davidif:

Men that list is disgusting. Thank goodness for the one drop rule.

I dont understand you guys at all? How can you guys castigate the Spanish system of classification and applaud the American one-drop nonsense as the correct and right thing sad?

Ignorant people invented the one-drop rule and some of you here think is correct and imagine its the correct thing to do and even accuse people in a different continent of "denying their 'race'" because they do not conform to American one-drop crap ?

Thats really amazing

Who even told you guys that there is such as thing as "blackness" or "being black" which a person needs to deny in the first place undecided?

"White", "Black" are actually just social labels that differ from place to place and from country to country that some people came up with and the current concept of race is actually very recent.

People in Latin America reserve the right to call themselves white, black etc as they see fit. Americans dont have the right to bring their one-drop mentality and try to shove it down everybody's throats angry.
Re: Have U Ever Experienced Injustice Abroad? by sage(m): 3:48am On Jun 13, 2010
The one drop thing is a United States thing. Other nations do not have to adopt it.

People think that it is wrong for the Spanish to call a person with one Mullato parent and a Spanish parent as a "Moor" or a Mestizo and a White parent as "White"

But these same people think it is right to tell somebody who has over 90% Irish ancestry that he/she is of the "Black race" and that he/she is a brother/sister to people from Somalia, Ethiopia etc but not Irish people? I mean the person shares about all their genetic connection with Irish people. How is the person not a brother/sister to Irish people but is the same "race" as a Somalian whom he has no genetic, cultural or linguistic ancestry with?

If anything is stupidly insane it is the one drop nonsense

People should be castigating the ODR, not critisizing people in foreign lands for not abiding by an American social concept.
Re: Have U Ever Experienced Injustice Abroad? by Ivynwa(f): 5:30am On Jun 13, 2010
Do some of you saying these shocking things to bkbabe realize that it took a spirit of kinship for her to come to nairaland forum and lime and bond with us all. Whatever she has said to anybody, this lady does not deserve to be thrown these more-than-acidic and more-than-racist words. How can you guys talk to her like this? I know it was all said out of anger but now that the anger has died down, I know that Cap has realized he did not talk nice to her. Cap please go ahead and apologise to her, metal gong too. It doesn't take anything out of you two do that but makes our world a lovelier and more accommodating place.
It wasn't our fault our race dispersed and mingled with the other races and wherever we meet our own we should still love one another, we blacks and the blackrooted mixed people have come a long way. This is not a good way for us all to relate in the diaspora. We should embrace and accommodate one another, shouldn't we?
Re: Have U Ever Experienced Injustice Abroad? by Osama10(m): 5:32am On Jun 13, 2010
No never experienced one.
Re: Have U Ever Experienced Injustice Abroad? by davidif: 6:02am On Jun 13, 2010
Ivynwa:

Do some of you saying these shocking things to bkbabe realize that it took a spirit of kinship for her to come to nairaland forum and lime and bond with us all. Whatever she has said to anybody, this lady does not deserve to be thrown these more-than-acidic and more-than-racist words. How can you guys talk to her like this? I know it was all said out of anger but now that the anger has died down, I know that Cap has realized he did not talk nice to her. Cap please go ahead and apologise to her, metal gong too. It doesn't take anything out of you two do that but makes our world a lovelier and more accommodating place.
It wasn't our fault our race dispersed and mingled with the other races and wherever we meet our own we should still love one another, we blacks and the blackrooted mixed people have come a long way. This is not a good way for us all to relate in the diaspora. We should embrace and accommodate one another, shouldn't we?

Man, i share your sentiments, i almost apologized to the girl for what cap said to her.
Re: Have U Ever Experienced Injustice Abroad? by davidif: 6:03am On Jun 13, 2010
sage:

The one drop thing is a United States thing. Other nations do not have to adopt it.

People think that it is wrong for the Spanish to call a person with one Mullato parent and a Spanish parent as a "Moor" or a Mestizo and a White parent as "White"

But these same people think it is right to tell somebody who has over 90% Irish ancestry that he/she is of the "Black race" and that he/she is a brother/sister to people from Somalia, Ethiopia etc but not Irish people? I mean the person shares about all their genetic connection with Irish people. How is the person not a brother/sister to Irish people but is the same "race" as a Somalian whom he has no genetic, cultural or linguistic ancestry with?

If anything is stupidly insane it is the one drop nonsense

People should be castigating the ODR, not critisizing people in foreign lands for not abiding by an American social concept.

Do you know how hard it would be to put all this racial categories in a census form? Those classification makes things easier for everybody and also since the dawn of time people have always had names for people with different skin pigmentations than them, its a way of identifying themselves.
Re: Have U Ever Experienced Injustice Abroad? by sage(m): 6:27am On Jun 13, 2010
davidif:

Do you know how hard it would be to put all this racial categories in a census form? Those classification makes things easier for everybody and also since the dawn of time people have always had names for people with different skin pigmentations than them, its a way of identifying themselves.

Wont the census form also be simplified if anybody mixed with "White" is considered as "White"?

The one drop rule is a recent idea that is not even 200 years old. People have always had ways of classifying each other but not all of it is skin colour based and the actual concept of race as you know it now ("Black" race, "White" race) is also very recent idea. A Somali left to his own devices would never categorize himself as the same as an Ijaw. They dont have anything in common and so they are not similar in anyway. A "Black" Berber would identify with a "White" Berber more than he identifies with a Zulu man

Anyways the ODR was not invented to simplify census forms. It was based on malice and the idea that a person with a drop of "sub-Saharan" blood is tainted.

We should not be lending credence to nonsense like that or castigating people or nations who dont subscribe to such ideas.
Re: Have U Ever Experienced Injustice Abroad? by AngieFan(f): 8:50am On Jun 13, 2010
The one drop rule is stupid imo and it is only an American thing.
Re: Have U Ever Experienced Injustice Abroad? by cap28: 3:06pm On Jun 13, 2010
Ivynwa:

Ivynwa thanks for all your comments, I understand where you are coming from, however i think its always a good idea to put things into context.

We nigerians are known for being a trusting and welcoming people and i think this is why people take advantage of us, I have nothing against people who are genuinely trying to establish links with their african ancestry with the intention of seeking to learn about our culture and language, however i do have a problem with people who simply come onto forums like these in order to mock and insult us. 

If you look at the role that race plays in carribean and latin american countries you will find that most of these countries operate a racial caste system with whites at the top of this structure, mixed race people further down and finally dark skinned blacks or blacks of pure african descent at the bottom.  This results in a feeling of superiority in the minds of those who find themselves above the darker skinned blacks or anyone who is closer in appearance to an african.  This is the mindset of the likes of people like bk babe.  Having been exposed to people who look down on dark skinned blacks she uses that same mentality to come on to a nigerian forum to make sarcastic remarks and try to talk down to nigerians.  As i said i am all for people who are trying to understand more about their african ancestry but i can tell the difference between someone who is genuinley trying to discover more about a culture and its people and those who are here merely to abuse our hospitality.

If you dont believe what i am saying research the history of carribean and latin american countries and then you will understand what i am saying.

In the Dominican republic Haitians who are darker skinned and are closer in appearance to continental africans are treated terribly by the majority mixed race dominican population - many face deportation despite having legitimate immigration papers in their adopted country.  Dominicans will rather you describe them as indios, mestizos, blancos but NEVER AS BLACKS, this is how full of self hatred these people are.  An african american woman who went to the dominican republic on an exchange programme has this to say about her experience:

[b]I was often confused, angry and depressed. I spent an entire month and a half watching men constantly beg my two white friends for dances and reluctantly ask my two black friends (with permed hair) for dances before I realized no one was asking me to dance. I spent many nights in a dark corner of a discotheque surrounded by men who found my body appealing enough to comment on in the streets, but my hair appalling enough to ignore me in the discos. I began to see a trend in their behavior and I recognized this trend as racialized sexism.

Racialized sexism is that peculiar brand of discrimination that breeds on black women (and other women of color) while somehow missing black men and white women completely.

Becoming aware of its existence explained why all the host mothers constantly told me how beautiful I could look if only I would fix (read: perm) my hair. Racialized sexism explained why my friend Vincent, also a possessor of natural hair, never had to defend his choice to wear his hair "that way." It explained why I thought constantly having different parts of my body grabbed in the street was a common experience until I discussed it with some of the white female students. They were shocked. Only their flaxen hair had been touched, never their bodies.

This blend of racism and sexism was the roughest thing to handle. I was equipped to deal with the racism, but not the mixture of the two. After some time, we black students became accustomed to the horrified glances and gasps we received when we referred to ourselves as black. One host-mother in particular would stop us saying, "No, no, no, don't call yourself black, you're Indian."

Dominicans have created a myriad of names - morena (brown), india (indian), blanca oscura (dark white), trigueño (wheat colored) - to avoid referring to themselves as black. Nothing prepared us for a weekend field trip to the country where our weekend hosts got to pick the students they wanted to put up for the night. The first picked were the blondes. Standing there desolate and alone at the end were the blacks.

http://www.nathanielturner.com/kiiniiburasalaam2.htm

Brazil, Colombia, even Jamaica with a 90% pure black population HATE being linked with africa.

Here is what happened to a nigerian professor who made the mistake of spending his vacation in Jamaica and received the worst kind of black on black racism he has ever come across in his life:

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/articles/guest-articles/vacation-dispatch-a-taste-of-black-on-black-racism-in-jamaica.html

In colombia it is no better - despite having a sizeable population of what they call afro colombians these people are right at the bottom of society and are forced to remain there since they are denied access to education in order to elevate themselves, in addition they are treated as if they are INVISIBLE by the govt of that country, this should explain bk babe's attitude on this forum, here is an excerpt from an article about racism towards black colombians:

Colombia’s colour-bar

“But there aren’t any blacks in Colombia!” exclaimed a Colombian now living in New York after hearing the ethnologist Luz Riviera discuss her recent research into the country’s black indigenous communities. “What do you mean there aren’t? They’re over 22 percent of the population,” replied Riviera. “If there are, then they aren’t Colombians,” insisted the lady.
Luz Riviera tried to explain that the seven million blacks now living in the country are not only as Colombian as her, but that it was also highly likely that she had at least one black ancestor. “God save me from having a black in my family!,” the aggrieved woman replied.
As in other Latin American countries, racism towards blacks and indigenous peoples is a fact of life in Colombia. And just as in other countries of the region, victims of this racism tend to be “invisible” in the eyes of those who practise the discrimination.
Black slaves were introduced into what is now Colombia by the first Spanish conquistadors. From the very beginning they clustered in communities largely along the northern coast close to Cartagena, the principle “black port” of the era, as well as on the western Pacific coastline and the Caribbean archipelago of San Andrés and Providencia.
The “Afro-Colombians”–as they are officially known–also live in the country’s big and medium-sized cities, such as Cartagena, Buenaventura, Cali, Turbo, Barranquilla or Medellín, places where their segregation takes on all the features of marginalization. “In Cartagena, the only blacks who can enter certain clubs and restaurants are those who are serving.

In Bogotá and Cali, most domestic servants are black, often dressed in pink uniforms,” explains Luz Riviera.
Over time, continued discrimination has led many to setting up home in rural, isolated areas, where they live in virtually self-sufficient communities working on small land-holdings or as employees for large farms. Some simply live on the fish they can catch.
Life in such communities is not much better than in other parts of the country. According to the Third report on the Human Rights Situation in Colombia, carried out for the Organization of American States and published in 1999, “a disproportionate number of blacks live in conditions of extreme poverty.” Afro-Colombians inhabit some of the most conflict-ridden parts of the country and earn incomes below the national per capita average. Illiteracy rates both in rural and urban areas remain extremely large, while black communities suffer high rates of infant mortality and serious diseases such as malaria, dengue fever, gastro-enteritis and lung infections. The report puts this down to a lack of drinking water, electricity and basic medical services.
Faced with their exclusion from the rest of society, many communities continue to co-operate closely with groups of indigenous peoples, with whom they first formed links under slavery when blacks were forced to work in gold and silver mines while Indians tilled the land. Luz Riviera has studied these inter-ethnic relations in an isolated village on the banks of the Guayabero river in the region of Serranía del Baudó.
“Thirty or so black families living there have created ritual family ties with indigenous families living deeper in the jungle. What frequently happens is that an indigenous person asks a black man to be the godfather of his son, sealing a relation of compadrazgo [joint fatherhood] which helps make the lives of both families somewhat easier in light of the discrimination both suffer.”

I am not advocating hatred or racism, I am merely saying lets open our eyes as to what is going on around us, if people want to look down on us then why do they go out of their way to  come on to our forums to make disparaging remarks about us, perhaps its best that these people stick to their own people.

All of the above can be directly traced to the white man's legacy of slavery which has led to the black race being looked down on by every race of people on the face of this planet including diasporan blacks, this is why as proud black nigerians we should focus on building up our own people and developing our country so that we dont have to put up with the abuse and humiliation that blacks in other parts of the world are being subjected to.
Re: Have U Ever Experienced Injustice Abroad? by Ivynwa(f): 1:51am On Jun 14, 2010
Cap I heard you right but you and metal gong should find a way to apologise to her even if it means using her email address to do that out of the forum. Nothing justifies hurling those vitriolic words at her, put yourself in her shoes and see what it looks like having somebody tell you that. I respect you much, this does not remove an atom from that respect but just be a man about this and it will make a huge difference. Don't see this as sentiments and stuffs. I hope you and the other lady british born lady have talked things out and are already on to greater things, I still believe that somewhere lies amazing things you two can do to benefit our country. The sooner that begins the better, go on Baby, cheerio
Re: Have U Ever Experienced Injustice Abroad? by Busybody2(f): 3:09am On Jun 26, 2010
Ivynwa

Bkbabe is warm-blooded virile male and doesn't give a hoot what peeps call him, go through his posts if in doubt, and he was the one who said "its all on the internet".

Cap28 is prolly igbo and has prolly been on the receiving end of Bkbabe's legendary acerbic tear-inducing tongue lashing wink cheesy
Re: Have U Ever Experienced Injustice Abroad? by Busybody2(f): 3:12am On Jun 26, 2010
shocked rofl grin Who be British born lady shocked berra modify it to British lady sharp sharp tongue cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Back To Nairaland: Message To Members Of The Wailing Family(barcanista) / Insecurity: Be Ahead Of The Attackers - Buhari Orders DSS, Police, Others / 'Any Benue Person Voting APC Committing Suicide’ - Rebecca Akpedzan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.