Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,388 members, 7,940,480 topics. Date: Thursday, 05 September 2024 at 06:59 AM

Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. - Culture (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. (249836 Views)

Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo? / Delta Igbo,bendel Igbo,ikwerre Igbo,do They Really Matter To The Igbo Nation? / Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (111) (Go Down)

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by PhysicsHD: 11:26pm On May 27, 2011
Ogbuefi 1:

@Muskrat, Physics MHD tranformed into Physics HD, The Story from Jacob Egharevbathe late Obakhavbaye of Benin in his famous book "Short History of Benin" described Edo as a slave of Oba Ewuare, Brng more points FOOL !

Abeg, try again.

Jacob Egharevba also said Igbo cannibals immigrated into Benin during Oba Ewuare's reign!! grin grin

As if Jacob Egharevba's claim about Ofiefa's slave is accepted gospel:

http://www.edoworld.net/BENIN_EDO_BRAND.html

Try again.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Ogbuefi11: 11:26pm On May 27, 2011
@the irritating Wasp, Physics HD is that what you have got ? I am ready for night vigil for human caricature lke you, Hei you fall into my trap, As a "proud" Benin man , I know u wont run without a futile fight defending a land named after a slave.You thought you are the master of insults, In fact these skills of pouring out venom was one memorable thing I learnt in Benin, Ngodigha carry Go, Teach this coward a lesson
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Ngodigha: 11:28pm On May 27, 2011
PhysicsHD:

@ Andrew Uweh aka Ngodigha

You are being completely hypocritical here and you know it.

When people have said things nowhere near as bad about your group (Igbos) than what Ogbuefi said about my own, you've gone on the offensive with much more vulgarity than anything I have posted in this thread. I won't respond further to this character/alias of yours (Ngodigha) because it's a waste of time.

Pig, call me any thing that pleases you, I don't care. You threw the first punch at him when he has not done anything wrong to you. Learn how to send your messages across without behaving like an over-fed baboon with two left legs, iidiot.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Ogbuefi11: 11:30pm On May 27, 2011
@the hyrax, Physics HD, In the course of the notorious period of human sacrifice of whch Benn was unchalleneged n the entire coast of Africa, even pregnant women were sacrificed and in order for the gods to savour these sacrifices ,parts of  these people were eaten as well, fnd t very funny to remnd me of cannbals from Igboland, Egharevba never said from Anomaland and he went further to say THEY WERE ASSIMLATED AS BENIN PEOPLE
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ChinenyeN(m): 11:31pm On May 27, 2011
PhysicsHD:

@ Andrew Uweh aka Ngodigha
Okay, so it isn't just me who notices the uncanny similarity.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Ogbuefi11: 11:32pm On May 27, 2011
@Ngodigha, Dont mind this descendant of slaves and cannibals  called Physics HD, He s finished
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by PhysicsHD: 11:33pm On May 27, 2011
Ogbuefi 1:

@the irritating Wasp, Physics HD is that what you have got ? I am ready for night vigil for human caricature lke you, Hei you fall into my trap, As a "proud" Benin man , I know u wont run without a futile fight defending a land named after a slave.You thought you are the master of insults, In fact these skills of pouring out venom was one memorable thing I learnt in Benin, Ngodigha carry Go, Teach this coward a lesson

@ Ogbuefi, Jacob Egharevba claims that Eka (Ika) was a Bini name and that the Ika people came out of Benin to where they are now. Do you accept that claim from Chief Egharevba? If so, then you're a long lost relative to people (Edo) which Egharevba claims are named after a "slave"!  grin grin grin

And you wonder why the Benin palace thinks the Ika are Edo!!!! grin grin grin grin Jacob Egharevba's book which you accept as gospel says they originate from Benin! LMAO  grin

And Ngodigha is silly to be hiding under that alias. That's cowardly.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by PhysicsHD: 11:37pm On May 27, 2011
Ngodigha:

Pig, call me any thing that pleases you, I don't care. You threw the first punch at him when he has not done anything wrong to you. Learn how to send your messages across without behaving like an over-fed baboon with two left legs, iidiot.

You missed this:

"Mr Physics Md, You are wicked to post just one aspect of what transpired in this country just to fulfil one useless point in your arguement."

When he stupidly thought I was saying it was an Igbo coup (I was saying that it wasn't, but it went over his head).
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Ogbuefi11: 11:40pm On May 27, 2011
@the tarsier, Physcs HD, Hahaha, Jacob Egharevba is not an Ika and therefore cant be an authority on our history.Ika people know their history, I  think you are blind ,   the Anioma people call the Benin IDUU and this is an older name  name compared to your slave name Edo or Ile Ibinu land of vexation.Those of us that left Benin left before her  assumed her slave name, We just kept to ancient name that brought with it respect and honour
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by PhysicsHD: 11:43pm On May 27, 2011
Ogbuefi 1:

@the hyrax, Physics HD,  In the course of the notorious period of human sacrifice of whch Benn was unchalleneged n the entire coast of Africa, even pregnant women were sacrificed and in order for the gods to savour these sacrifices ,parts of  these people were eaten as well,  fnd t very funny to remnd me of cannbals from Igboland, Egharevba never said from Anomaland and he went further to say THEY WERE ASSIMLATED AS BENIN PEOPLE

Hilarious. For the record, Dahomey was first in human sacrifice.

I saw that rubbish in your profile earlier.

1.There are at two different accounts confirming that some Igbos believed this European cannibalism & red cloth stuff. One is from a slave trader himself who was talking with a European and a man they had sold into slavery who had returned with the European, the other is from the Obi of Aboh. I never said the Igbos were cannibals you degenerate; I said some of them thought they were selling people to be killed and eaten, which is true.

2. Do you really want to compare the killing of twins by families for hundreds of years (which happened at Aboh, among other places) out of fear of "changelings" to something like religious human sacrifice which, as misguided as it was, was at least thought to have a purpose?! And the selling of people who they thought were to be killed and eaten, what was the purpose of that?

3. There is no evidence that any pregnant women were sacrificed in Benin. In fact women were sent out of the city during some sacrifices, and some of the priests masqueraded as pregnant women.

4. It's funny that you immediately dismiss the cannibalism belief but immediately accept the propaganda about enormous amounts of human sacrifice in Benin!

The "enormous amounts of human sacrifice" myth was constructed by Bacon and by British invaders in 1897 and afterward, who used it justify the invasion.

When they placed Oba Ovonramwen on trial and found that he was completely innocent of ordering the attack on Phillps' party, they (the British soldiers) were embarrassed and used evidence of human sacrifice (which there was) to justify the (false) story they had earlier cooked up about the Oba of Benin being under the control of his "fetish priests" who were making him perform enormous amounts of human sacrifice and making him close down trade.

Apparently you didn't bother to see what objective Europeans (not Bacon, not the British writers or the invaders in 1897) said about human sacrifice in Benin when they visited:

"Later chroniclers' reports of human sacrifices and the influence of "fetish priests" seemed to vary individually, according to the sensibilities and writing style of each witness. Neither "fetish priests" nor human sacrifices were recorded by Windham, Welsh, and Artus, while both of the former found the Bini to be friendly, "very gentle and loving" people. [72] The more verbose and sensational accounts by Dapper and Barbot described "horrible" human sacrifices, [73] attending the funerals of important people. This blood-letting, which allegedly honored the "Devil," [73] did not seem to affect the Dapper-Barbot thesis that Benin City was "very well-peopled" and that "no town in Guinea can compare to it, for extent and beauty." [74] Nyendael, who recorded nothing about human sacrifices, did state that three powerful lords governed "in the king's name, [and] they act as they see fit." [75] Smith, Landolphe, and Adams seemed to feel, generally, that "human sacrifices are not so frequent here as in some parts of Africa." [76] Landolphe and Adams attested to the supreme power and authority of the Oba, while Smith called Benin "the most potent kingdom of Guinea." [77] Baron de Beauvais, who accompanied Landolphe in I786, provided the first eye-witness account of human sacrifice in Benin proper, in his description of the death of fifteen men during a religious ceremony. [78] He wrote spectacularly, but not convincingly, about rumors of more wholesale slaughters, pointing out their "superstitious," or religious, orientation. [78] Neither King, Fawckner, nor Owen regarded the practice of human sacrifice in Benin so noteworthy as to comment on its abuses. Fawckner, indeed, witnessed his most "shocking and most revolting spectacle" [79] at Benin in an ordeal, where a man's thumb was burned. It should be noted that the best-documented period of human sacrifices in Benin City, the I780's, was the one in which the chroniclers have unanimously attested to Oba Akengbuda's untrammelled political power. Landolphe, Beauvais, and Adams mentioned no fetish priests who might have unduly influenced "one of the most powerful rulers of Africa." [78] Furthermore, the more experienced travellers, who have provided the most trustworthy accounts, i.e., Windham, Artus, Nyendael, Landolphe, and Adams, did not regard Bini human sacri- fices as excessive, [76] and, except in the I780's, as not even note- worthy."

"First, however, two more observations of British visitors should be noted. Cyril Punch, who visited Benin c. I890, maintained that "the actual number of [sacrificial] victims has been exaggerated," [88] and the British District Officer, in I9I4, said that "the Bini do not appear to have been a blood thirsty nation, in spite of their power, but on the contrary a courteous and friendly people." [89] "

"P. A. Talbot, however, has written the most complete ethnographic analysis of Bini sacrificial customs:

At Benin the worship of the Obba's forefathers corresponds almost to the state religion and celebration of the rites form the chief ceremonies
of the year. It was from the sacrifices ,  in connection with these, that the Bini Empire obtained its partly undeserved reputation for blood- thirsty cruelty. [9o] The human sacrifices at funerals, to certain gods, and at annual ceremonies were not excessive in number nor unjust in choice of victims. [92] And these sacrificial victims were the only ones, . . . with the exception of some at the order of 'doctors' when the empire was in peril, as for instance, at the Benin Expedition of I897, when several victims were slaughtered 'to keep the war from the city.' The impression which the members of that expedition carried away from Benin town, as the City of Blood, was no doubt largely due to the number of corpses seen by them in the Arho Ogiuwu . . . which they thought were the bodies of slaughtered victims, whereas they were really those of executed criminals and of persons who had died from infectious disease, etc., to whom decent burial was denied. If also, as stated, all the human sacrifices consisted of criminals, these would probably have preferred death as an offering to the gods or ancestors than in any other form ,  The most abhorrent to modem ideas were the sun and rain sacrifices in which the victims were tied to the branches of trees, but it must be remembered that these were always wizards and witches, and so guilty, in native eyes, of the worst possible crime. The idea of Benin rule, therefore, as one of blood-stained despotism appears at variance with the truth. [90]"

"R. E. Brad- bury's concise introduction to Bini religion best summarizes the actual sacrificial occasions, and the usual number of victims required on each occasion. [93] His evidence, together with Talbot's, points to a limited, ritual custom of human sacrifice in Benin proper, but lends no substantiation to the blood-curdling rumors reported by Dapper, Barbot, and Beauvais."

- The Slave Trade, Depopulation and Human Sacrifice in Benin History: The General Approach
Author(s): James D. Graham
Source: Cahiers d'Études Africaines, Vol. 5, Cahier 18 (1965), pp. 317-334
Published by: EHESS

5. Benin became sparsely populated because of a civil war in the 1700s that ruined the city and made many people leave, and because of another war (leading to the exodus of thousands of men at a time when very few towns or cities in Nigeria had more than 5000 people) around the mid-1800s that one European explorer was told had been going on for decades! Benin was not sparsely populated because of human sacrifice, you dummy.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by PhysicsHD: 11:49pm On May 27, 2011
Ogbuefi 1:

@the tarsier, Physcs HD, Hahaha, Jacob Egharevba is not an Ika and therefore cant be an authority on our history.Ika people know their history, I  think you are blind ,   the Anioma people call the Benin IDUU and this is an older name  name compared to your slave name Edo or Ile Ibinu land of vexation.Those of us that left Benin left before her  assumed her slave name, We just kept to ancient name that brought with it respect and honour

Are you this daft?!

You think Idu (Igbo) is an older name than Edo?!

What next, is Ado (Yoruba), an older name than Edo?

You freaking slowpoke. Idu = Ado = Edo, and this story about some slave named Edo was just as made up that story about some migration of Ika ancestors out of Benin. Obviously Ikas migrated towards Benin, not away from it, and not everything Jacob Egharevba said is gospel (as the Oba of Benin has pointed out). That was my point. He said there were Ibo cannibals, he said the Ikas came from Benin, he said bronzecasting was introduced in the 14th century (about which he was wrong). He was not infallible.

I don't see how anyone can think the Edo did not have a name for themselves prior to the 15th century. This is just too silly.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Ogbuefi11: 11:52pm On May 27, 2011
To the rhesus monkey Physics HD Egharevba, The Obakhavbaye of Benin is a title holder of Benin kingdom and he noted that even the political system was DEMOCRATC even when we know the OBA was a dictator who for centures waged wars with the freedom loving Anioma people .In 1939 after his Short Hstory of Benin (and not short hstory of ika) was written, the following was a part of the letter of protest written by the Agbor Patriotic Union; The Unon challenged Egharevba's version of Agbor hstory and claimed that Agbor was the parent stock of all the tribes in the area including Benin.Benin originated from Agbor .Ika had never been subjected to Benin  or other trbes .Benins were weaker and fewer.Before 1897, Benin influence went no further than Ugo.Ikas harrassed Benns wth succesful wars which led them to dig the trench around them.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Ngodigha: 12:02am On May 28, 2011
Physics or whatever moronic names you hide under here. I do not know how many times I have to warn you over this issue. Be civil and stop your foul tirade on posters here. Why is this simple message so difficult to settle in that your empty skull, monkey shitt eating slut.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Ogbuefi11: 12:03am On May 28, 2011
@Physcs MHD , clap fine lenghty story, Does that  change the perspectve of Benin being notoriously known as the seat of human sacrifice ? No, It s a city of blood, the latest demonstated in 1967, Dont tell me that Ovonranmwen did not order human sacrifice throughout his reign, We know the Oybodudu story very well , why dodge that point and the curse he placed on the Oba and hs people ? We all know the Oba dd not order the killing of just 7 Europeans   just as we know that he ordered the killing of chefs who were perceved as barrer to his smooth ascenson to the throne.

The Dahomean kngdom only dates to the 17th century and  must confess tht it  was just as notorious but Benin has a much longer history of savagery , barbaric practces and diabolism.Dd you hear that those that left Benin had sweet and rosy thngs to say abt "great " Benin.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by PhysicsHD: 12:06am On May 28, 2011
Ogbuefi 1:

To the rhesus monkey Physics HD Egharevba, The Obakhavbaye of Benin is a title holder of Benin kingdom and he noted that even the political system was DEMOCRATC even when we know the OBA was a dictator who for centures waged wars with the freedom loving Anioma people .In 1939 after his Short Hstory of Benin (and not short hstory of ika) was written, the following was a part of the letter of protest written by the Agbor Patriotic Union; The Unon challenged Egharevba's version of Agbor hstory and claimed that Agbor was the parent stock of all the tribes in the area including Benin.Benin originated from Agbor .Ika had never been subjected to Benin  or other trbes .Benins were weaker and fewer.Before 1897, Benin influence went no further than Ugo.Ikas harrassed Benns wth succesful wars which led them to dig the trench around them.

LMAO!

Agbor is the parent stock!

No wonder there was no response from Jacob Egharevba to such a claim.

1. The Edo, Esan, Etsako, Uneme, Urhobo, Isoko, Akoko-Edo, etc. are all of the same family and originate from above the Northern Edo area, near the Niger-Benue confluence. Some settled in Benin. Some kept going and settled in Urhoboland, some mixed with Ijebu Yorubas and produced the Itsekiri (See Patrick Darling's work on population movements in the Edo speaking area)

2.  Olaudah Equaino, an Igbo man from Ashaka ("Essaka"wink, Delta state, a town south east of Agbor, claimed explicitly that his town was under Benin. He did not say they were militarily conquered, or that there was an invasion, so this nonsense about the Benin army needing to a conquer a town (Agbor) to prove that that town was under them is nonsense.

3. For the record, I never claimed that Agbor was under Benin. As I said before Egharevba's work is not infallible and I was even the first one in this thread to post that the people of Agbor (the Agbor Union) disagreed with Egharevba's account (re-read the thread). You seem to actually be agreeing with me here, but you start believing Egharevba when it suits you so that you can insult Edo people.

4. The trench digging in Benin was from the 7th to the 14th century.  

5. You know that Benin history has exactly the opposite claims about the wars to the east of Benin. There would be no point in arguing which account is correct, since there is nothing that could prove either claim.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Ogbuefi11: 12:09am On May 28, 2011
@Ngodigha, He is a slowpoke and a descendant of slaves, Our Anioma people have somethng to say abt slaves.A  freeborn of the land or Nwadiani never insults and behaves wth all civility.In ths era of non-slavery ,Physics HD is a slave to prejudice and he thinks he s all that.I am only responding to his insults and men I will play him to the extent he will accept that he is the fool that he is.If he loves Benin he should stop posting or else,
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by PhysicsHD: 12:14am On May 28, 2011
Ogbuefi 1:

@Physcs MHD , clap fine lenghty story, Does that  change the perspectve of Benin being notoriously known as the seat of human sacrifice ? No, It s a city of blood, the latest demonstated in 1967, Dont tell me that Ovonranmwen did not order human sacrifice throughout his reign, We know the Oybodudu story very well , why dodge that point and the curse he placed on the Oba and hs people ? We all know the Oba dd not order the killing of just 7 Europeans   just as we know that he ordered the killing of chefs who were perceved as barrer to his smooth ascenson to the throne.

The Dahomean kngdom only dates to the 17th century and  must confess tht it  was just as notorious but Benin has a much longer history of savagery , barbaric practces and diabolism.Dd you hear that those that left Benin had sweet and rosy thngs to say abt "great " Benin.

What's funny here is that you didn't contest even a single statement by those who were actually there. The knowledge of Benin as "notorious" for human sacrifice was  more 1897 propaganda than reality. The human sacrifices at Benin were occasional, whereas the accounts portraying it as a "city of blood" have been shown to be inaccurate. There would not be multiple accounts from those who were there saying the human sacrifice claims were false and exaggerated if what you claim is true. There are no such statements about Dahomey.

"The idea of Benin rule, therefore, as one of blood-stained despotism appears at variance with the truth. " - Talbot

As for "those that left Benin", what people are you referring to? Ikas?  grin  grin (As Egharevba believed)

Those that left Benin remembered and recalled their Benin origins proudly when Robert E. Bradbury collected traditions of origins in his book The Benin Kingdom and the Edo-speaking Peoples of South-Western Nigeria. [1957] .

Of course, there will be some dissenting views here and there, but overall, they were proud of it.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Ogbuefi11: 12:17am On May 28, 2011
@ the Vermin, Physics HD where dd you hear tht Equiano yet another great Anioma son say his people were under Benin ? What he sad was that the influence of the Oba of Bnen was NOMINAL  in his place of birth.Ok all Edo speaking people including Urhobos orignated from Benin after you have narrated how Urhobos came from Igboland, You dont even know what you are saying why contradict yourself ? I dont need to remnd you that The Obaseki famly are of Anioma origin and when Ovonramwen was deported to Calabar(where he died and was buried) Obasek took up the mantle of administering the Benin kngdom
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by PhysicsHD: 12:19am On May 28, 2011
Ngodigha:

Physics or whatever moronic names you hide under here. I do not know how many times I have to warn you over this issue. Be civil and stop your foul tirade on posters here. Why is this simple message so difficult to settle in that your empty skull, monkey shitt eating slut.

Andre Uweh, you've used far more vulgarity and many more insults on this forum than me.

Ogbuefi's insults are what started the lack of civility and you know it. I'm never uncivil in real life, anyways, so you don't need to lecture me on civility when, at your age, you've created 3 or 4 different usernames just to curse and insult people.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Ogbuefi11: 12:25am On May 28, 2011
And Mrs Talbot (because  I have read the book) was an eye-wtness to era in which not even an individual was used for sacrifice.The book was wrtten in 1926 for cryng out loud long after the practice had been oppressed and stopped, If  may ask why was Oba Eweka suspected to have used hs wfe (who had fled to her Urhobo lover) for human sacrifice ?  Everyone love forging stores negative stories about Benin kngdom, a city known for human sacrifice .The writters over emphaszed on the human sacrfces just to give the peace loving city a bad name just like the Aniomans are  desparately forging to do many years after, I hear you
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by PhysicsHD: 12:26am On May 28, 2011
Ogbuefi 1:

@ the Vermin, Physics HD where dd you hear tht Equiano yet another great Anioma son say his people were under Benin ? What he sad was that the influence of the Oba of Bnen was NOMINAL  in his place of birth.Ok all Edo speaking people including Urhobos orignated from Benin after you have narrated how Urhobos came from Igboland, You dont even know what you are saying why contradict yourself ? I dont need to remnd you that The Obaseki famly are of Anioma origin and when Ovonramwen was deported to Calabar(where he died and was buried) Obasek took up the mantle of administering the Benin kngdom

1. I didn't say most Urhobos came from Igboland. I said several clans did. I was wrong about that because it's actual several Isoko clans that do, so I forgot to distinguish between the two for a while.

2. You should not actually be bragging about Agho Obaseki. Obaseki was actually kind of an arse-kisser to the white man. Intelligent, no doubt, but fundamentally, an arse-kisser. Certainly, not one of my heroes from history.

3. You don't seem to understand. He explicitly said his place of birth was a district or province of Benin, even though the influence of Benin was loose (only nominal). So there was nothing about my characterization of it as "under" Benin that was inaccurate. I don't know how you even took that as implying some sort of domination or conquest.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Ngodigha: 12:28am On May 28, 2011
PhysicsHD:

Andre Uweh, you've used far more vulgarity and many more insults on this forum than me.

Ogbuefi's insults are what started the lack of civility and you know it. I'm never uncivil in real life, anyways, so you don't need to lecture me on civility when, at your age, you've created 3 or 4 different usernames just to curse and insult people.
Yesterday, I was called Onlytruth, but who cares. You may disagree with his post but must not insult him neither must you encourage that castrated Pig called Exotic to insult him. The situation is still under control but do yourself a favour by apologising to Ogbuefi.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by PhysicsHD: 12:30am On May 28, 2011
Ogbuefi 1:

And Mrs Talbot (because  I have read the book) was an eye-wtness to era in which not even an individual was used for sacrifice.The book was wrtten in 1926 for cryng out loud long after the practice had been oppressed and stopped, If  may ask why was Oba Eweka suspected to have used hs wfe (who had fled to her Urhobo lover) for human sacrifice ?  Everyone love forging stores negative stories about Benin kngdom, a city known for human sacrifice .The writters over emphaszed on the human sacrfces just to give the peace loving city a bad name just like the Aniomans are  desparately forging to do many years after,  I hear you

It is Mr. Talbot. He was a man.

There are multiple quotes from sources who visited long before 1926 who said the huge amounts of sacrifices claim was a myth. Don't know why you had nothing to say there.

The claims that Oba Eweka II was involved in human sacrifice are what compelled him to open up the Igue ceremony. There is nothing to suggest he was involved in human sacrifice.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Ogbuefi11: 12:33am On May 28, 2011
@Physics HD , So it was Ogbuefi's insults that started evrything, Have you forgotten how you insulted Omonuan and by extention the Anioma  people, You are a small boy that thnks that he knows too much, You dont have any home training though I must confess you are quite brilliant.People like you wll only remember when they receive insult forgettng what they have dished to others.You descend from slaves and I see it from your disposition.To see your mind set, did Egharevba say the cannibals from Igboland come from Anioma? and he went further to say these cannibals became Benin people with time and even tended shrines fr the welfare of the Oba and his household.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by PhysicsHD: 12:34am On May 28, 2011
Ngodigha:

Yesterday, I was called Onlytruth, but who cares. You may disagree with his post but must not insult him neither must you encourage that castrated Pig called Exotic to insult him. The situation is still under control but do yourself a favour by apologising to Ogbuefi.

Andre Uweh, I'll apologize for the insults in recent posts and posts soon to appear. Because I really don't know this guy to be insulting him like this. Nevertheless I don't think he's moved on. His hate goes deep. That said, there's no reason to insult him.

And exotik was entirely justified in reacting as he did.

@ Ogbuefi

I'll leave off on the insults. But I don't agree with a lot of things you have stated, and my posts that might appear later (which are laced full of insults, for which I apologize in advance), will show why.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by PhysicsHD: 12:40am On May 28, 2011
Ogbuefi 1:

@Physics HD , So it was Ogbuefi's insults that started evrything, Have you forgotten how you insulted Omonuan and by extention the Anioma  people, You are a small boy that thnks that he knows too much, You dont have any home training though I must confess you are quite brilliant.People like you wll only remember when they receive insult forgettng what they have dished to others.You descend from slaves and I see it from your disposition.To see your mind set, did Egharevba say the cannibals from Igboland come from Anioma? and he went further to say these cannibals became Benin people with time and even tended shrines fr the welfare of the Oba and his household.

My insults to omonuan started when he insulted me and my people. It's that simple. Take it or leave it. What you consider an insult others might not consider an insult and what I consider an insult (calling my people wicked, for one) you might not consider an insult. I don't have to go further than that. I don't have anything against the Anioma people, but you can think what you want.

As for Egharevba, if you believe some made up story about Igbo cannibals, then you're actually saying that you believe that there were even Igbo cannibals at that time, and in that area, although, in an earlier spam banned post in your profile, you said cannibalism among Igbos was false according to Basden in his book on Igbos. Yet when I quote P. Talbot about the extent of the Benin sacrifices, you claim it's rubbish.

Egharevba made numerous claims which have turned out not to be true and the Oba of Benin even disagrees with him on multiple statements of his, so why would I look to Egharevba as gospel? Chief Jacob Egharevba made claims about Agbor and the origin of Ikas which have probably contributed to the brainwashing of a few Ikas to deny being Igbo, so I don't see why you're quoting Egharevba as if he can do no wrong. Many things Egharevba wrote were probably spot on, but recounting history, especially oral history, is never going to be 100% accurate.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Ogbuefi11: 12:44am On May 28, 2011
I  thought Talbot was a woman thought as much, So it was only Talbot's account that dismsses generatons of records attesting the love the Edos love in sheddng blood ? Let my make my pont clear, if those posts of yours are trully insultve as you have boasted  I  will give back to you with interest.This I assure you.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Ogbuefi11: 12:47am On May 28, 2011
Like I said before Physics HD you are a small boy, What I said in reference to Basden work was that he said the Anoma people neva practiced cannibalism .Dont msquote me !
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by PhysicsHD: 12:47am On May 28, 2011
Percy Amaury Talbot was a man, and his wife was Dorothy Talbot. I thought you had read that book?

And as for the insults, you can keep insulting if you want. I already apologized for the insults and the insults to appear, and I'm not interested in littering this thread with anymore insults and vulgarity. So you can "give back with interest," but it's not going to make any difference to me.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Ogbuefi11: 12:54am On May 28, 2011
The Benins are wicked and nothing can be further than the truth, Every body knows it , every one says it even amongst the Esan and Afenmai who are the supposed closest relatives of Benin.Have you ever wondered why these people want Afemesan State ? It is due to the irresponsblty of your leaders and people, A nationality named after a slave called EDO.When you passed your lies that Urhobos came from gboland , you thought you were addressing a neophyte, I know the hstory of all Midwestern peoples, Ther origin, customs , civlizaton and so on. have even read Bradbury's book on Edo speakng peoples which you have quoted, In the same manner , you claimed you neva knew Urhonigbe, the largest of all Benin settlements
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Ogbuefi11: 12:56am On May 28, 2011
@Physcs MHD, Good luck to you and expect brimestone from me and also apologizing in waiting Ok ?
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by PhysicsHD: 1:01am On May 28, 2011
Ogbuefi 1:

The Benins are wicked and nothing can be further than the truth, Every body knows it , every one says it even amongst the Esan and Afenmai who are the supposed closest relatives of Benin.Have you ever wondered why these people want Afemesan State ? It is due to the irresponsblty of your leaders and people, A nationality named after a slave called EDO.When you passed your lies that Urhobos came from gboland , you thought you were addressing a neophyte,  I know the hstory of all Midwestern peoples, Ther origin, customs , civlizaton and so on. have even read Bradbury's book on Edo speakng peoples which you have quoted, In the same manner , you claimed you neva knew Urhonigbe, the largest of all Benin settlements

1. And now you misquote me. I didn't say Urhobos came from Igboland. I said several clans. But I was considering some Isoko clans in my count of "several" and was wrong about that.

2. As I said before, I don't have any particular reason to go to Urhonigbe just yet.

3. If you believe that "EDO" claim, then fine. But there's no reason that you shouldn't accept the rest of Egharevba's claims, then.

4. It's good that you're at least honest enough to admit the hatred. Don't let it consume you, though.

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (111)

Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) / Learn How To Speak Hausa Here / Complaints And Notice Thread. Be Serious!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 145
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.