Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,749 members, 7,875,874 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 12:19 AM

Tennis Is Interesting Again! - Sports (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Tennis Is Interesting Again! (17473 Views)

Why Tennis Is A Great Sport To Bet On In Nigeria / London Olympics Tennis Final : Serena Willams Vs Sharapova / Tennis: Roland Garros 2011 (where Are All These Yeye Tennis Fans Self) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by JeSoul(f): 7:05pm On Jul 01, 2008
davidylan:

the "pundits" like simon Reed arent saying amen to that.
they're cloaking their dislike for them by saying "it's for the good of the spectacle" - whateveh. I hope that is even more motivation for the williams. Barring injuries and "other intrests" they woulda solely dominated womens tennis the last decade n more.
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by A40(m): 7:17pm On Jul 01, 2008
These cats just cant stand seeing our sisters dominate their Sport.Wimbledon have always been for the Williams i would be suprised if they didnt win it its in their DNA
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by Nobody: 8:41pm On Jul 01, 2008
JeSoul:

they're cloaking their dislike for them by saying "it's for the good of the spectacle" - whateveh. I hope that is even more motivation for the williams. Barring injuries and "other intrests" they woulda solely dominated womens tennis the last decade n more.

lol Men's tennis (Wimbledon especially) has been all Federer since 2002, i cant remember anyone of them wishing someone beat him earlier "for the good of the spectacle".
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by doyin13(m): 12:29am On Jul 02, 2008
For all its worth, I am dreading an all Williams final.

All the previous have been boring affairs.
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by iice(f): 2:22pm On Jul 02, 2008
LOL i hope they put on the good show this time.
I do think Venus is in poor form though.
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by JeSoul(f): 3:13pm On Jul 02, 2008
A-40:

These cats just can't stand seeing our sisters dominate their Sport.Wimbledon have always been for the Williams i would be suprised if they didnt win it its in their DNA

davidylan:

lol Men's tennis (Wimbledon especially) has been all Federer since 2002, i can't remember anyone of them wishing someone beat him earlier "for the good of the spectacle".

Abi oh! Don't mind them jare. They're all worshipping at the throne of Federer who's dominated tennis for a while now but yet they want to get upset at the prospects of an all-williams final which hasn't happened in a while. And who by the way wants to watch another of the boring "ovas or evas" bore us to death with their unattractive style of play?
and the funny thing is speaking of "for the good of the sport", the Williams probably draw the most attention/viewership to the womens game right now, I'm willing to bet the ratings are significantly better with them in the finals than any other bore out there.

Those tennis people can be so snotty and "elitist" and condescending. A-40 you're right they're probably upset the Williams are ruling their sacred sport, with little effort at that. Imagine what they coulda done if they'd not be sidelined with injury so much.
I bet part of their dislike might stem from Richard Williams who's been very open that he hates white people, saying once n i paraphrase "the white man never did anything good for me, all my life he hated me, and I hate him too!"
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by JeSoul(f): 3:15pm On Jul 02, 2008
iice:

LOL i hope they put on the good show this time.
I do think Venus is in poor form though.

If there's anything we know about Venus is that she gets better with each stage of the competition and she does not need to be in "top form" to pull off a win - remember her last title at wimbledon? no one saw that coming.
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by iice(f): 3:21pm On Jul 02, 2008
True. Am hoping for some great moves in the next match
I just hope that they put on a great show when it comes to the showdown between the sisters.
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by JeSoul(f): 3:31pm On Jul 02, 2008
yeah I know, it would be great if they could garner enough to competitively compete against each other but I guess its just too emotional. . . I would prob be the same if I were playing my sister or sibling
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by iice(f): 4:09pm On Jul 02, 2008
Yeah i know. I hope i get to watch the match of Serena and Zheng.
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by JeSoul(f): 6:13pm On Jul 02, 2008
iice:

Yeah i know. I hope i get to watch the match of Serena and Zheng.
  I don't suspect she should be too much trouble for Serena.

Federer sends Ancic packing without even breaking a sweat. this is too easy for him, he needs Nadal in the final to challenge him  smiley . . . but first, Nadal/Murray
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by doyin13(m): 7:06pm On Jul 02, 2008
I hope I am proved wrong. . . . .but I suspect Zheng might beat Serena

Of the two sisters, Serena has been the least impressive.

She takes a bit of time to get into her groove and this Chinese lady ain't for playing

E be like the winch from Shanghai abi na Guangdong.
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by Hannibal: 7:57pm On Jul 02, 2008
Andy Murray should just win one set. . . .
Nadal is really shoving him around. . . .It's embarrassing.

COME ON . . . . .MURRAY!!!!

doyin13:

I hope I am proved wrong. . . . .but I suspect Zheng might beat Serena

Of the two sisters, Serena has been the least impressive.

She takes a bit of time to get into her groove and this Chinese lady ain't for playing

E be like the winch from Shanghai abi na Guangdong.

She plays like she can't be bovvered with Tennis again.
However, i am tipping her to take the Chinese apart.
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by JeSoul(f): 8:01pm On Jul 02, 2008
Hannibal:

Andy Murray should just win one set. . . .
Nadal is really shoving him around. . . .It's embarrassing.
hehe, win one set? that might be waaay too much to ask at the rate this match is going cheesy

This na the same Murray wey talk few days ago he could win the championship, maybe he should start with baby steps and win a set first against the big boys smiley
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by JeSoul(f): 8:04pm On Jul 02, 2008
by the way Safin is through. . . now that will be a good match to watch, Federer vs. Safin - I hope he brings his A-game against Fedex. . . but Fedex will still win anyways smiley
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by Hannibal: 8:07pm On Jul 02, 2008
JeSoul:

hehe, win one set? that might be waaay too much to ask at the rate this match is going cheesy

This na the same Murray wey talk few days ago he could win the championship, maybe he should start with baby steps and win a set first against the big boys smiley

Never mind, he will grow and learn from this experience.
He is talented but needs 2 learn few more tricks and work on his fitness.
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by doyin13(m): 9:14pm On Jul 02, 2008
He just ain't strong enough to take on Nadal

To beat Nadal you are going to need more than being well rounded
like Murray is.

You must have a special weapon to be able to beat him.

Federer can call on his first serve, players like Tsonga and Djokovic can call on greater firepower.

If you play tit for tat with this guy, you will end up on the losing end.

@Jesoul

I want Federer to win it all. I want him to break that Sampras record as quickly as possible

I have always felt Sampras's game was too one dimensional to deserve such a record.

When Federer gets to 15 grand slams, it can be anybody's turn then.
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by dinozzo(m): 12:50am On Jul 03, 2008
I want Federer to break that record too but not more than wanting Nadal to win this championship. I am happy for Safin, but I don't think he can beat Federer in the semis. Its looking like an all Williams final but I have to say the Chinese lady has been very impressive.
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by Nobody: 1:44am On Jul 03, 2008
hehe all this emergency tennis "fans". grin

In Murray's case it is said that water will always find its level. Nadal is no Gasquet.
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by Nobody: 6:21am On Jul 03, 2008
doyin13:

He just ain't strong enough to take on Nadal

To beat Nadal you are going to need more than being well rounded
like Murray is.

You must have a special weapon to be able to beat him.

Federer can call on his first serve, players like Tsonga and Djokovic can call on greater firepower.

If you play tit for tat with this guy, you will end up on the losing end.

@Jesoul

I want Federer to win it all. I want him to break that Sampras record as quickly as possible

I have always felt Sampras's game was too one dimensional to deserve such a record.

I agree with you to the T. Murray only had a chance against Nadal in the event of an injury. Players with flat, powerful forehands, good court movement will always trouble Nadal especially on fast hard courts. Murray is neither of those.

Sampras was all serve and volley . . . playing in the weak era of Michael Chang and co.
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by iice(f): 12:34pm On Jul 03, 2008
dinozzo:

I want Federer to break that record too but not more than wanting Nadal to win this championship. I am happy for Safin, but I don't think he can beat Federer in the semis. Its looking like an all Williams final but I have to say the Chinese lady has been very impressive.

Oh boy you spoke my mind. I'd still hope for Federer to win and then Nadal can start taking over
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by JeSoul(f): 1:24pm On Jul 03, 2008
Can't believe you guys are on Sampras like that.  angry   angry  but its okay, I forgive you   cheesy  cheesy

Perhaps Pete wasn't as versatile as some after him BUT whether or not the competition was comparable with whats out there today, fact is he still dominated his time. It's like trying to diminish Tigers' accomplishments by saying there isn't as much competition in golf hence his 14 majors titles.

doyin13:

@Jesoul

I don't see anything stopping Roger from surpassing Sampras' record. Its impressive what's he accomplished, 12 titles in 6 years! shocked  and he still has at least 5 more years of quality tennis to play. I think he'll eventually become the greatest of all time.
We're in for a repeat of last years final: Up Roger! down capris!  grin
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by JeSoul(f): 2:05pm On Jul 03, 2008
Venus is demolishing 'eva grin 1st set 6-1
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by doyin13(m): 4:47pm On Jul 03, 2008
The two ladies singles have been a procession so far.

The quality match of the day is Schuettler v Clement.
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by Hannibal: 4:58pm On Jul 03, 2008
@ Doyin13,

Are u watching it via STV??
The dimunitive Chinese babe is making Serena sweat her knickers.
She is lethal!!!
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by DisGuy: 5:04pm On Jul 03, 2008
Serena is doing too much work, she should be sending Zheng up and down!
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by Hannibal: 5:13pm On Jul 03, 2008
Dis Guy:

Serena is doing too much work, she should be sending Zheng up and down!

The Chinese is better with rallies than Serena. . . .
Serena's strength is her 1st serves(aces). . . . Seems the Chinese can't cope with those.
It's on a gilt-edge now but i expect Miss Williams to take her apart.
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by A40(m): 5:30pm On Jul 03, 2008
@Jesoul
Those white folks just cant stand that we blacks are gradually taking over their sport one at a time from Golf to Tennis and now Formula 1 although i will only join Hamilton's fan club when he moves to Ferrari lol.As far as i am concerned those sisters brought the glamour back to female tennis after Graf left besides they are also in the doubles semis so its really looking good for them

Venus is through one more game to her 5th crown.Serena baby please dont let me down

I cant wait for Safin and Federer
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by A40(m): 5:57pm On Jul 03, 2008
And the good old rain decides to join the party
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by doyin13(m): 5:59pm On Jul 03, 2008
The only thing wrong with Serena right now is her mind state.

When she got broken in the Second set, you could see her get a grip
of her game and break right back almost to love.

She has too much power. Her Achilles heel has always been her forehand
which breaks down from time to time, and it has shown at various times in the match.

The Zheng babe is okay sha. . . .They should just feed her more EWA so she can grow taller grin
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by Hannibal: 6:28pm On Jul 03, 2008
@ Doyin13,

Ewa for a Chinese chic??
U must be crazy!!!

Serena should get it right. . . .
She must get her ACES right and get this game done n dusted.
With Rallies, the Chinese would take her to the cleaners!!!
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by doyin13(m): 6:43pm On Jul 03, 2008
Well it was a case of 'Saved by the Serve'.

Serena looked so uncomfortable playing the groundstrokes.
She didn't play for the corners or down the line, all towards the centre
and that Zheng was so good at finding angles.

Well she is through sha. I hope we see more competition this time between the sisters.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (20) (Reply)

Zenga Joins Race To Take Super Eagles Job / Masai Ujuri, Toronto Raptors Win NBA 2018/19 Champions (video) / Nigeria Vs. Spain: What's Your Prediction?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.