Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,158 members, 7,887,371 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 07:45 AM

Tennis Is Interesting Again! - Sports (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Tennis Is Interesting Again! (17522 Views)

Why Tennis Is A Great Sport To Bet On In Nigeria / London Olympics Tennis Final : Serena Willams Vs Sharapova / Tennis: Roland Garros 2011 (where Are All These Yeye Tennis Fans Self) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by A40(m): 6:44pm On Jul 03, 2008
Why didnt she throw down those big serves earlier? she didnt need to run with this Chinese babe at all

As for tomorrow's semis as much as Federer is a favorite if there is anyone that can beat him its Safin and if Safin brings on his A-game we might be in for an upset
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by Nobody: 6:50pm On Jul 03, 2008
lol u need to read the anti-Williams sentiments being hurled on the BBC 606 website.
Rainer Schuettler is through to a semifinal at last. He shld enjoy his coming defeat.
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by Hannibal: 6:58pm On Jul 03, 2008
doyin13:

Well it was a case of 'Saved by the Serve'.

Serena looked so uncomfortable playing the groundstrokes.
She didn't play for the corners or down the line, all towards the centre
and that Zheng was so good at finding angles.

Well she is through sha. I hope we see more competition this time between the sisters.

Her big sister will let her win on saturday.
They should take the 2 of em to Okija shrine to swear an oath that fans are gon' see a competitive game.
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by A40(m): 7:01pm On Jul 03, 2008
Racism still alive they are just concealing it

I do hope they put they back into that final its almost like they just play out and whoever wins wins but i cant blame them they are siblings and these things are difficult to do sometimes i mean facing each other it reminds me of Klitschko's mom who made her kids swear that they would never fight each other
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by JeSoul(f): 7:15pm On Jul 03, 2008
davidylan:

lol u need to read the anti-Williams sentiments being hurled on the BBC 606 website.
Rainer Schuettler is through to a semifinal at last. He shld enjoy his coming defeat.
the racist lot of them. . . let them continue to hate, it will not reduce or diminish the dominance of the Williams! grin If people don't want to see the Williams in the finals, then they should go learn to play tennis and challenge them or else just shut up!
again, Venus for president! grin

doyin13:

The Zheng babe is okay sha. . . .They should just feed her more EWA so she can grow taller grin
Ewa has not worked for some naija guys I've seen cheesy

A-40:

I do hope they put they back into that final its almost like they just play out and whoever wins wins but i can't blame them they are siblings and these things are difficult to do sometimes i mean facing each other it reminds me of Klitschko's mom who made her kids swear that they would never fight each other
Yeah we're all hoping it'll be competitive. I still don't understand why people complain about the poor way they play each other, isn't it obvious how emotional it is to be pitted against ur sibling in front of the whole world? me I understand and would prob react the same way.
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by Nobody: 7:22pm On Jul 03, 2008
Cant the Williamses do something about their hair though? shocked

A-40:

Racism still alive they are just concealing it

Tennis, up until the late 90s, remained an elitist white sport. I'm not surprised by the virulence of the anti-Williams attacks. A lot of folks blame them for introducing power tennis. Venus has a 100 mph second serve while Murray can only manage 85 mph. No surprise the English are still sulking. smiley
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by doyin13(m): 7:23pm On Jul 03, 2008
@Davidylan

I only just saw your diss of Michael Chang. Guy, you dey diss a whole Michael Chang shocked shocked shocked shocked

I actually disagree with you the Sampras era was not competitive. Far from it.

His era spanned the likes of Courier, the aforementioned Chang, Michael Stich, Boris Becker for a time,
Ivanisevic, Agassi duh, Cedric Pioline, Thomas Muster, Kafelnikov, gosh. . . . . .the era was packed.

Sampras was not a bad player. He had the game to justify being no 1 in the game for the time he did.
But I would expect the greatest of all time, display a lot more dexterity.
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by doyin13(m): 7:25pm On Jul 03, 2008
davidylan:

Tennis, up until the late 90s, remained an elitist white sport. I'm not surprised by the virulence of the anti-Williams attacks. A lot of folks blame them for introducing power tennis. Venus has a 100 mph second serve while Murray can only manage 85 mph. No surprise the English are still sulking. smiley

hehehehehe. . . .Murray still try. Her second is as fast as Santoro' first serve
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by Nobody: 7:26pm On Jul 03, 2008
Michael Chang was a one-slam wonder.

doyin13:

His era spanned the likes of Courier, the aforementioned Chang, Michael Stich, Boris Becker for a time,
Ivanisevic, Agassi duh, Cedric Pioline, Thomas Muster, Kafelnikov, gosh. . . . . .the era was packed.

Bar Agassi, what really did the others achieve compared to the likes of Federer and Nadal today? The depth of men's tennis is far greater than it was in the 90s. A player ranked 85 (Ernest Gulbis) is a serious threat to no. 2 ranked Nadal! Would you have seen that in 1990?
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by Nobody: 7:28pm On Jul 03, 2008
doyin13:

hehehehehe. . . .Murray still try. Her second is as fast as Santoro' first serve

Mr. Santoro is a daddy. grin
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by JeSoul(f): 7:29pm On Jul 03, 2008
davidylan:

lol, abeg it is not easy for us black women and our hair. . . you know how many hours person go siddon braid hair or perm hair? those girls prob spend that time on the court smiley
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by Nobody: 7:33pm On Jul 03, 2008
JeSoul:

lol, abeg it is not easy for us black women and our hair. . . you know how many hours person go siddon braid hair or perm hair? those girls prob spend that time on the court smiley

Which kain excuse be that? shocked
Does it take 22 yrs to do some neat fancy braids like Kuzhnesova once did? she looked ugly in that though cool

All the time i've known the Williamses they've never spotted neat hair. Maybe its a family thing.
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by doyin13(m): 7:34pm On Jul 03, 2008
Kai it was commonplace

Maleeva Washington(I think that was his first name) got to the Wimbledon final against Richard Krajicek in 1996.
And Wimbledon is the hardest surface to cause a surprise

I bet you don't remember Dreyfus, some Belgian sha who got to the final against Sergei Brugrera at the French.

Or Medevedev also, getting to within one set of the French Open against Agassi.

Thomas Muster came from nowhere to win the French.

I could go on and on. Shoot, I forgot to add Stefan Edberg, the best serve and volley man this side of Sampras.
or the Steely Ivan Lendl. . .

Even our own Duke Udozor was causing ripples way back. Maybe that was a bit of a stretch sha. His Wimbledon quater final was '85

The era was packed.

Michael Chang got to finals though. . . .Just couldn't get over the hump. I remember he won that 'Grand Slam' tourney a few times as well.
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by Nobody: 7:38pm On Jul 03, 2008
Look at the women's game . . . Zheng got to the semis here, Bartoli beat a tired Henin last yr, Myskina won the FO in 2004, the Williamses are ranked way lower than so many inferior players . . .

It is not because the women's game has plenty of depth but because the so-called "top" players are not much better than the rest. Ivanovic no 1? Who dash am?

Same with the men's tour of the 90s. Bar Sampras, Agassi and a few others there were no real standouts. Gustavo Kuerten won the FO 3 times, compared to the players of today he'd be lucky to reach the semis of one FO.

Medvedev played one blinder against Agassi does not make him a top player. Consistency is the key.
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by TOH(f): 7:44pm On Jul 03, 2008
davidylan:

Link.
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by JeSoul(f): 7:44pm On Jul 03, 2008
davidylan:

Which kain excuse be that? shocked
Does it take 22 years to do some neat fancy braids like Kuzhnesova once did? she looked ugly in that though cool

[b]All the time i've known the Williamses they've never spotted neat hair. [/b]Maybe its a family thing.
 It take style true sha. They're both into fashion design so I'm not sure what the problem is. Maybe they don't like the pain of doing it? who knows. If they're looking for low-maintenance hair, then go dredlocks. . . n further aggravate those 'conservative patrons'  grin
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by doyin13(m): 7:51pm On Jul 03, 2008
Davidylan, . . . . .

The men's game of the 90's had a lot more depth o.

Stefan Edberg was a player for the ages. Won the Australian, Wimbledon and US

Jim Courier was also a multi grand slam winning player.

Sergei Brugera dominated the French Open for a few seasons.

The talent pool was deep. Bar Wimbledon which Sampras dominated, all the other
slams dey rotate around numerous players

Medvedev himself was not a one slam wonder. He had threatened such a performance
for years but was an unfulfilled talent.

The 90's was the ish. Moreso than even the Borg, Connors, Mcenroe era.
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by Nobody: 7:53pm On Jul 03, 2008
TOH:

Link.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A37867477

Classic comments you shld probably be used to by now - The Williams sisters have ruined the womens game completely and it is this they ought to be remembered by. Yet another williams final will be loud, dull, power-filled, unclassy etc etc and is definitely a match to be avoided.
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by Nobody: 7:56pm On Jul 03, 2008
doyin13:

Davidylan, . . . . .

The men's game of the 90's had a lot more depth o.

No comparison to this era. Every tournament bar clay and Wimbledon u're left biting your nails wondering who is going to spring what surprises. Hard court season is one to watch, i think we will see Novak come out strongly.
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by TOH(f): 7:56pm On Jul 03, 2008
How do you define a "classy" tennis match?
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by A40(m): 7:58pm On Jul 03, 2008
@doyin
Thanks for reminding me of those great names.Rafter,Kraijcek there is no room for comparison

@davidylan
The 90's tennis was simply more competitive
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by JeSoul(f): 7:59pm On Jul 03, 2008
davidylan:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A37867477

Classic comments you shld probably be used to by now - The Williams sisters have ruined the womens game completely and it is this they ought to be remembered by. Yet another williams final will be loud, dull, power-filled, unclassy etc etc and is definitely a match to be avoided.
*hisses* I read other comments in the link, one refered to them as the "Williams brothers"  angry if to say I fit punch thru the internet, someone would have a black eye.

if they don't like seeing the WS then let them go and play and prevent the sisters from winning, nonsense!
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by Nobody: 8:00pm On Jul 03, 2008
TOH:

How do you define a "classy" tennis match?

Example - Ivanovic vs Sharapova
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by Nobody: 8:03pm On Jul 03, 2008
A-40:

@davidylan
The 90's tennis was simply more competitive

Really? shocked Any era better than this present one must have been heaven sent for tennis followers. How come it turned up also rans like Pat Cash, Tim Henman (world number 4), Thomas Johannson . . .

JeSoul:

*hisses* I read other comments in the link, one refered to them as the "Williams brothers" angry if to say I fit punch through the internet, someone would have a black eye.

if they don't like seeing the WS then let them go and play and prevent the sisters from winning, nonsense!

hehe you never see nothing. One commenter was wondering how Venus could have completed her match without an erection as Dementieva was too good looking.
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by TOH(f): 8:10pm On Jul 03, 2008
Example - Ivanovic vs Sharapova

What makes theirs "classy"?
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by TOH(f): 8:15pm On Jul 03, 2008
"Part of Dementieva's post match interview when she was basically asked if it was an all Williams final if she felt the decision would be made beforehand about the winner. She responded she felt it would be "a family decision"

Lol. Sore losers are hilarious.
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by Nobody: 8:16pm On Jul 03, 2008
TOH:

What makes theirs "classy"?

Blonde, brunette, white, cute little fist pumps, baby shrieks of delight, graceful bowing after the match . . .
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by TOH(f): 8:18pm On Jul 03, 2008
Maybe Im losing my hearing but Sharapova tends to grunt.
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by Nobody: 8:19pm On Jul 03, 2008
TOH:

Lol. Sore losers are hilarious.

None worse than Jankovic who complained that She and not Venus should have played on court 2 because she was the no 3 seed. Apparently she forgot one tiny little detail - Venus is 4-time and current defending Wimbledon champion while Jankovic is . . . well the no 3 seed.
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by JeSoul(f): 8:20pm On Jul 03, 2008
davidylan:

hehe you never see nothing. One commenter was wondering how Venus could have completed her match without an erection as Dementieva was too good looking.
  shocked  shocked   angry  angry
I guess the Simons of the world can now do us all a favor by shutting up and crying themselves to sleep in the reality of another WS finals.

davidylan:

Blonde, brunette, white, cute little fist pumps, baby shrieks of delight, graceful bowing after the match . . .
 in other words a classy match would be one without any "color"
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by Nobody: 8:22pm On Jul 03, 2008
TOH:

Maybe I'm losing my hearing but Sharapova tends to grunt.

Does it matter . . . at least she's "classy".

JeSoul:

shocked shocked angry angry
I guess the Simons of the world can now do us all a favor by shutting up and crying themselves to sleep in the reality of another WS finals.

I'm waiting for Simon Reed's next column. smiley Maybe i can help him with the title - Another Williams final; another epitaph for womens tennis.
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by TOH(f): 8:27pm On Jul 03, 2008
JeSoul:

in other words a classy match would be one without any "color"

white's a color! grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (20) (Reply)

Nigeria Ranked 33rd In Global FIFA Rankings, 4th In Africa / Nigeria Vs Cameroon When Jay Jay Okocha Scored Cameroon With Beautiful Free Kick / Obafemi Martins Celebrates His 32nd Birthday Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.