Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,199 members, 7,887,500 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 09:48 AM

#OPINION : Does Marriage Even Make Sense Anymore? - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / #OPINION : Does Marriage Even Make Sense Anymore? (11061 Views)

Does Marriage Really Cure Loneliness? / Does Marriage Really Worth It? / Here's 3 Ways You Can Save Your Marriage Even When It Seems Hopeless (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: #OPINION : Does Marriage Even Make Sense Anymore? by Nobody: 10:16pm On Oct 10, 2018
AmazonTopaz:

Nobody is saying that women should not own anything before entering a marriage.

Woe nothing it is registry or nothing.

We are on the same page.

Any woman who's interested in registry marriage must have her own assets Incase things go south a brother won't be left in deep depression.
Re: #OPINION : Does Marriage Even Make Sense Anymore? by CHoccolaTE: 10:20pm On Oct 10, 2018
crackhaus:

I'll be honest, the answer to your question is a NO. Marriage in its present soiled state makes no sense anymore only for one reason - everything that can be gained and gotten within this institution can be gained and gotten comfortably outside of it without the hassles of standing before a judge or cleric.

The real issue here remains that we Nigerians are among the "fakest" group of people on earth. We are great at projecting what isn't while existing on the opposite - there are only a handful of Nigerian women ready to be with a man long-term, birth his kids, and basically act like an unofficial wife without actually being a wife.
Despite this, young Nigerian girls are everywhere on the web trying to prove they don't need marriage
Acidosis

Here are two men who think marriage is obsolete.
Are they also bitter and encouraging hoeism?

Abi its only women you know how to argue with? Oya Acidosis, ponder on these posts by your fellow men.
KevinDein:
I agree with the females on this thread. They (whoever is in charge of this sad, evil world) should just scrap that thing called marriage. I actually don't know who it benefits.

2018, marriage is obsolete. Let's all move on.

2 Likes

Re: #OPINION : Does Marriage Even Make Sense Anymore? by AmazonTopaz(f): 10:39pm On Oct 10, 2018
crackhaus:

Interesting...

Under the law, who owns property acquired well before a marriage is contracted?

Married women property act of 1882

-under statutory marriage the act gives women the right to acquire ,hold or dispose of property acquired before or after marriage.Upon divorce,women's rights maybe enforced through the court.

Marriage act of 1990 chapter 218 laws of the federation of Nigeria.

-The married woman under the act enjoys equal rights to the family assets acquired during the marriage and to be involved in the their disposal during or after the marriage or upon the death of her husband.
Re: #OPINION : Does Marriage Even Make Sense Anymore? by Nobody: 10:42pm On Oct 10, 2018
AmazonTopaz:

-under statutory marriage the act gives women the right to acquire ,hold or dispose of property acquired before or after marriage.Upon divorce,women's rights maybe enforced through the court.

-The married woman under the act enjoys equal rights to the family assets acquired during the marriage and to be involved in the their disposal during or after the marriage or upon the death of her husband.

If she visits her ancestors first ,her properties also goes to the man....right ?

2nd question.. How many women have you seen that were awarded upto 20℅ of marital assets after the dissolution of the marriage ?
Re: #OPINION : Does Marriage Even Make Sense Anymore? by Nobody: 10:45pm On Oct 10, 2018
This is one of the reasons why if you must attempt registry marriage with a Nigerian woman she should have her own properties+ wealth.

If a woman who contributed 0naira claims the properties you spent more than 2m on after divorce it'll be an emotional tsunami.

I don't like repeating words and i also don't like saying much but my advice for men who want to enter into registry marriage without prenup is ; be guided and be very careful.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: #OPINION : Does Marriage Even Make Sense Anymore? by AmazonTopaz(f): 10:51pm On Oct 10, 2018
Elder0001:

If she visits her ancestors first ,her properties also goes to the man....right ?

2nd question.. How many women have you seen that were awarded upto 20℅ of marital assets after the dissolution of the marriage ?

It depends,if they both own the property together(joint ownership) it goes to her husband.

I have not seen one personally the laws are there to empower women but it is unfortunate that some women do not know these laws or even their rights.
Re: #OPINION : Does Marriage Even Make Sense Anymore? by Nobody: 10:57pm On Oct 10, 2018
AmazonTopaz:

It depends,if they both own the property together(joint ownership) it goes to her husband.

I have not seen one personally the laws are there to empower women but it is unfortunate that some women do not know these laws or even their rights.

Why are you contracting yourself?

When a man dies ,his properties immediately goes to his wife and immediate family but when a woman dies according to you,the properties must only go to the man if they were jointly acquired?
Re: #OPINION : Does Marriage Even Make Sense Anymore? by AmazonTopaz(f): 11:01pm On Oct 10, 2018
Elder0001:

Why are you contracting yourself?

When a man dies ,his properties immediately goes to his wife and immediate family but when a woman dies according to you,the properties must only go the man if they were jointly acquired?

Thanks. I learnt a lot from that statement.

I did not contradict myself.
It depends if it was her wish and it is not in all cases for the man as well that is why there is a will in the first place if there is any at all depending on the individuals involved.
And try not to misconstrue my words.
Re: #OPINION : Does Marriage Even Make Sense Anymore? by Acidosis(m): 11:11pm On Oct 10, 2018
CHoccolaTE:

Acidosis

Here are two men who think marriage is obsolete.
Are they also bitter and encouraging hoeism?

Abi its only women you know how to argue with? Oya Acidosis, ponder on these posts by your fellow men.

Seems you're really going through a lot at the moment. How about a PM to discuss these issues?
Re: #OPINION : Does Marriage Even Make Sense Anymore? by Nobody: 11:18pm On Oct 10, 2018
AmazonTopaz:

I did not contradict myself.
It depends if it was her wish and it is not in all cases for the man as well that is why there is a will in the first place if there is any at all depending on the individuals involved.
And try not to misconstrue my words.

You aren't serious.
Re: #OPINION : Does Marriage Even Make Sense Anymore? by AmazonTopaz(f): 11:21pm On Oct 10, 2018
Elder0001:

You aren't serious.
That is your problem. I do not have time to be explaining good night.
Re: #OPINION : Does Marriage Even Make Sense Anymore? by CHoccolaTE: 11:38pm On Oct 10, 2018
Acidosis:

Seems you're really going through a lot at the moment. How about a PM to discuss these issues?

You can't challenge your fellow men?
Re: #OPINION : Does Marriage Even Make Sense Anymore? by Nobody: 12:04am On Oct 11, 2018
CHoccolaTE:

You can't challenge your fellow men?

So sad how you claim to be a feminist but still share patriarchal traits.

Why must he challenge a fellow man ?? Same way women bring up "you're not ashamed of yourself,you're arguing with a woman" bullshît when they don't have any sensible thing to say.

2 Likes

Re: #OPINION : Does Marriage Even Make Sense Anymore? by CHoccolaTE: 6:29am On Oct 11, 2018
Elder0001:

So sad how you claim to be a feminist but still share patriarchal traits.

Why must he challenge a fellow man ?? Same way women bring up "you're not ashamed of yourself,you're arguing with a woman" bullshît when they don't have any sensible thing to say.

elder, I didn't quote you stop replying me to write nonsensical rubbish.

The person I quoted doesn't see men and women as equal so I addressed him accordingly.

Let him challenge the men that rubbished marriage on this thread instead of pretending he didn't see their posts.

2 Likes

Re: #OPINION : Does Marriage Even Make Sense Anymore? by crackhaus: 8:01pm On Oct 11, 2018
AmazonTopaz:

It was a really simple question I asked, just a direct answer would have sufficed.

Let me rephrase my question:
If a man has acquired property before getting married, who owns this property after he gets married?

1 Like

Re: #OPINION : Does Marriage Even Make Sense Anymore? by stacyadams: 8:45pm On Oct 11, 2018
AmazonTopaz:

I swear that word is demeaning to the female folks.Like as if women are incapable of having houses.Even a house the woman builds or pays a rent some people would still have the effrontery to call it her husbands house.

Whenever that word is used on me with statements like I"when you get to your husband's house" I quickly correct the person and tell them it is not my husband house but our house.
hope u will bring 50% of whatever cash it will require to buy land and build house ..
Re: #OPINION : Does Marriage Even Make Sense Anymore? by AmazonTopaz(f): 9:29pm On Oct 11, 2018
Yep I do not plan on staying in a house where I do not pay a part of the rent or contributed in building it.
stacyadams:
hope u will bring 50% of whatever cash it will require to buy land and build house ..

1 Like

Re: #OPINION : Does Marriage Even Make Sense Anymore? by Deji63: 3:06pm On Oct 14, 2018
Pipedreams:

You will marry your father last last or just buy a puppy and live alone. Do not make hell of a mans life. Please never marry. If u cant be respectful and submissive as a woman ought to be then you have no business in a mans house. If u like be babagindas daughter i will pursue u. Ur a sad woman

You will never marry.

1 Like

Re: #OPINION : Does Marriage Even Make Sense Anymore? by Deji63: 3:07pm On Oct 14, 2018
Pipedreams:

You will marry your father last last or just buy a puppy and live alone. Do not make hell of a mans life. Please never marry. If u cant be respectful and submissive as a woman ought to be then you have no business in a mans house. If u like be babagindas daughter i will pursue u. Ur a sad woman

You will never marry even a fool won't submit to you.

4 Likes

Re: #OPINION : Does Marriage Even Make Sense Anymore? by Deji63: 3:09pm On Oct 14, 2018
Elder0001:

You're very stupid. Why can't you put across your message in a polite and civilized way ?

Nah she isn't. You are the stupid one sir.

2 Likes

Re: #OPINION : Does Marriage Even Make Sense Anymore? by Deji63: 3:18pm On Oct 14, 2018
If you cohabit you are not married. If she therefore goes out there to frolic with other men you no get say. Until you are married and facing your individual responsibilities as a couple don't expect any submissiveness from her. If she doesn't cook she will say she isn't your wife. Marriage is mutually beneficial to both parties from experience. Marriage is a blissful experience if you know how to deal with it.

1 Like

Re: #OPINION : Does Marriage Even Make Sense Anymore? by Deji63: 3:23pm On Oct 14, 2018
Elder0001:

Vilar claims that women can control their emotional reactions whereas men cannot, and that women create overly-dramatized emotional reactions to get their way: they "blackmail" men emotionally. Women also use sex as a tool of manipulation and control but also traditional concepts of love and romance, which are seen more positively than sex, to control men's sexual lives. Vilar writes that men gain nothing from marriage and that women coerce them into it under the pretense that it fulfills their romantic desires. - Excerpt from the manipulated man.

Is Vilar a man?

So no you create topic? I am not surprised. Always against societal norms. You need help like crazy. You are not a normal person.

1 Like

Re: #OPINION : Does Marriage Even Make Sense Anymore? by Deji63: 3:27pm On Oct 14, 2018
Elder0001:

Listen carefully rude woman ,this is an article copied from a site.

Wtf is wrong with you ? I encourage feminism and women rights a lot on this site but I don't have to create such threads all the time.

Majority of women are gold diggers ,the fact that I support or preach feminism doesn't mean I should asslick women and not say the truth.
If your actions portray you as a parasite you'll be addressed as such.

You always call women gold diggers. You always sound very hostile tight fisted and broke. I am certain you are the gold digging life looser. You dey find cohabitation? You must be a greedy man. You want to eat your cake and have it. Be single but be enjoying punnah ;plus breakfast lunch and dinner being served by that same woman who is not wifable but fvckable. D grin grin ;DNo lie. That's to be enjoyed only by us who are prisoners of love. You are sick I swear. Dem go run leave you. Marriage no be prison. It's because you are very horrible. You no fit stay married. The women are not dumb. They know your konikoni strategy. Person like you dey dey very ruthless when it's time to fling them out after using them. May my female affiliates never come across you and if e wan happen make trailer don crush your skull before e happen. Your not wanting to get married must have some ulterior motive behind it. I mean who doesn't love legalised companionship?if you have something to gain from the union money wise people like you go fly go registry. My brother go and die lonely. That is what you deserve.

2 Likes

Re: #OPINION : Does Marriage Even Make Sense Anymore? by Deji63: 4:01pm On Oct 14, 2018
Elder0001:

That's why women should contribute to the acquisition of the family house.

Broke dude Always seeking contribution cheesy cheesy cheesy I sure say you go balance as she dey cook your food for kitchen you no go contribute shii.Nonsense Better go and work to be able to sustain a home. I can see you have financial ineptitude.

1 Like

Re: #OPINION : Does Marriage Even Make Sense Anymore? by Deji63: 5:21pm On Oct 14, 2018
Elder0001:

Woe be unto any Nigerian man who engage in registry marriage with a woman who's not financially stable.

Teach your daughters to strive hard to acquire their own properties and their own wealth if they must engage in statutory(registry) marriage.

Woe betide you if you have ever collected money or anything of monetary value no matter how little directly or indirectly from any woman in your life. You are extremely appalling and make people fear for their daughters that animals like you are on the prowl. You sound so callous for a man. It's unbelievable. The way you sound your financial stability is questionable. I swear. God punish you if you ever referr to yourself as a man.

1 Like

Re: #OPINION : Does Marriage Even Make Sense Anymore? by Acidosis(m): 6:31pm On Oct 14, 2018
CHoccolaTE:

elder, I didn't quote you stop replying me to write nonsensical rubbish.

The person I quoted doesn't see men and women as equal so I addressed him accordingly.

I don't even consider myself as equal with other men (we don't have the same size of d**k). The equality argument is bullcrap, we were all created in different and peculiar ways. However for a home, a team, or organisation to remain successful, there has to be leader and that's the role a married man is expected to play (according to my belief).

Let him challenge the men that rubbished marriage on this thread instead of pretending he didn't see their posts.

Lmao grin grin I don't need to challenge anybody. I only called you out because of the hate message you preach against men. Marriage is not by force, and even if everybody desire marriage, we all won't get married.

The woman you choose as a role model on this forum is happily married, dear. Visit the food section and check out the fantastic delicacies she prepares for herself and her husband. After cooking sumptuous meals and posting on food section, she comes to the family section to lure naive people into the female dominance bullcrap. Be wise.

2 Likes

Re: #OPINION : Does Marriage Even Make Sense Anymore? by CHoccolaTE: 7:26pm On Oct 14, 2018
Acidosis:

I don't even consider myself as equal with other men (we don't have the same size of d**k). The equality argument is bullcrap, we were all created in different and peculiar ways. However for a home, a team, or organisation to remain successful, there has to be leader and that's the role a married man is expected to play (according to my belief).
no

Lmao grin grin I don't need to challenge anybody. I only called you out because of the hate message you preach against men. Marriage is not by force, and even if everybody desire marriage, we all won't get married.

The woman you choose as a role model on this forum is happily married, dear. Visit the food section and check out the fantastic delicacies she prepares for herself and her husband. After cooking sumptuous meals and posting on food section, she comes to the family section to lure naive people into the female dominance bullcrap. Be wise.

@bold,
I don't know why you have a personal agenda against cococandy.
Why bringing her up in a matter that concerns just two of us?
I didn't even quote her or write to her anywhere on this thread but this is the second time you are mentioning this role model stuff. I can't laugh Abeg.
Stop being obsessed with her she's a married woman. Acidosis leave another man's wife alone oo, she's a married woman. grin

Leave another man's wife and face your fellow men that preached against marriage. Stop lying that I spread man hate, I only spoke against oppressive marriages. Face your fellow men.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: #OPINION : Does Marriage Even Make Sense Anymore? by Acidosis(m): 7:44pm On Oct 14, 2018
CHoccolaTE:

@bold,
I don't know why you have a personal agenda against cococandy.
Why bringing her up in a matter that concerns just two of us?
I didn't even quote her or write to her anywhere on this thread but this is the second time you are mentioning this role model stuff. I can't laugh Abeg.
Stop being obsessed with her she's a married woman. Acidosis leave another man's wife alone oo, she's a married woman. grin

Leave another man's wife and face your fellow men that preached against marriage. Stop lying that I spread man hate, I only spoke against oppressive marriages. Face your fellow men.

grin grin Your matter don tire me grin I need to see the face behind this handle.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: #OPINION : Does Marriage Even Make Sense Anymore? by cooldood(m): 10:37pm On Oct 14, 2018
Acidosis:

My point is pretty clear and simple. A woman who is currently in her husband's house should never be caught advising single women against getting married.
How can someone be agreeing that marriage does not make sense any longer yet they won't leave their marriages?

As regards the divorce thing, I have absolutely nothing against leaving a toxic spouse. However, people should learn to make the right choices and stop disturbing the atmosphere with experiences from failed marriages.

We need to stop blaming "marriage" and allow people take responsibilities for their wrong choices.
Spot on!
From my experience till date, women have become more of cry babies and more of kids in adult bodies.So when you hear all sorts from a woman, to a large extent perhaps she’s exaggerated things. A lot of women have become manipulative these days and when they contribute a penny to the upkeep of the home, they use emotional blackmail to paint it like as if they’ve dropped millions- you know how it is when a woman drops money like this, she’d go and record it somewhere and create a song out of it, if possible the whole world will hear.

Let’s ask a question: how many women are responsible for the rent of the house? Any woman that’s responsible for the rent of the house she lives with her husband,good luck to her. Marriage has never changed and will never change, it’s the actors of marriage that have changed. Marriage continues to remain a Godly institution even if the parties involved have bastardized it.

Before now, virginity was cherished, today the actors before marriage don’t value that again. Before now, the reasons for marriage were deeper beyond ‘what can I get for myself’,today the goal has changed- you hear some men looking for foreign-based gals because of passport, you hear gals all about money,money,money. Note: the institution will remain forever but the actors will continue to sing different songs as long as their intentions are not deeper than material gains. Everyone should take responsibility for his/her decision to marry the opposite sex and be ready to sleep on your bed the way you lay it.

On the issue of protection for women, the environment I live in,the men provide for their women and take care of them,and I mean all the families in my vicinity.Perhaps their wives chose wisely and they were properly married. I think in the long run,likeminds will attract each other. Marriage will continue to remain the formal structure for procreation as planned by God and only those who understand it n shine their eyes will enjoy the benefits.

2 Likes

Re: #OPINION : Does Marriage Even Make Sense Anymore? by Nobody: 11:05am On Oct 15, 2018
Heigod! Which kain wahala be this thread na! undecided
Re: #OPINION : Does Marriage Even Make Sense Anymore? by pansophist(m): 1:53pm On Oct 15, 2018
This is quite unconventional to say, but women generally do not evolve to take responsibility, accountability and being dutiful as men. Engaging them in a civil discourse concerning gender equality is an exercise in cognitive dissonance at best, and irrational at worse. It's futile. Men should just go be men and maintain an impenetrable frame, never take them seriously. At the end of the day, with all their feminism, they will stick to a real traditional man that will cater for them, because they know deeply, that the very thing that makes them attractive to men is their femininity, youthfulness and fertility. You are the prize, know your worth.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Childless For 9 Years: Help! I'm Losing My Mind To Depression! / Do I Have To Confess My Adultery To My Spouse? / Help With A Meanig Of Seeing A Dead Father In The Dream

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.