Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,131 members, 7,943,070 topics. Date: Sunday, 08 September 2024 at 02:51 AM

Why I Dumped Jonathan For IBB, By Dokpesi (Zoning) - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I Dumped Jonathan For IBB, By Dokpesi (Zoning) (11655 Views)

''Why I Dumped PDP For APC'' — Ekwunife / Political Heavyweights Who Dumped Jonathan After Winning 2011 Election For Him / Maryam Babangida Killed Dele Giwa & Left Bongos Ikwue (her Ex-hubby) For Ibb (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why I Dumped Jonathan For IBB, By Dokpesi (Zoning) by ladiesman(m): 11:30am On Sep 14, 2010
Lets the guy do as he pleases.its is life o.f am in that position too i will take up the job tooooo.Money is plenty so spend with people
Re: Why I Dumped Jonathan For IBB, By Dokpesi (Zoning) by redsun(m): 11:47am On Sep 14, 2010
Not that we don't know that all nigerian ruling and business elites are all crooks but by openly identifying with IBB,he has clearly shown himself as a traitor and a true enemy of rational nigerians,that is if there are any remaining in that country.
Re: Why I Dumped Jonathan For IBB, By Dokpesi (Zoning) by housebros: 12:58pm On Sep 14, 2010
Dokpesi will live to regret this action. just wait it is a matter of time
Re: Why I Dumped Jonathan For IBB, By Dokpesi (Zoning) by Pribo(m): 1:07pm On Sep 14, 2010
For how long would we allow ourselves to be deceived? This LOOTER called Dokpesi 'believed' in zoning very strongly yet he supported his fellow looter supremo Odili in 2007. They think God is asleep. Judgement will SURELY come.
Re: Why I Dumped Jonathan For IBB, By Dokpesi (Zoning) by Vavavoom(m): 2:06pm On Sep 14, 2010
I have read Gadogado's rebuttals and can't seem to understand his insistence on not changing the rule or moving the zoning/rotationdepending on who you plan on deceiving goal post mid way but has evasively refused to answer the question of a change from regions contributing to the centre during the groundnut era to the centre taking charge of allotment upon the discovery of oilshocked. Maybe I should repeat the question, Where has the groundnut gone?

On a personal level I find it disturbing when educated folks would rather champion ethnicity rather than competencein matters of leadership on the basis of prevailing realitiesI think more about the fear of change than anything. So instead of sensitizing people around one to vote for a competent Buhari or have a Tunde Bakare lead us for example the admonishment is all for zoning based on ethno-religious sentiments angry.

I couldn't help but realise upon reading 8 pages that what binds us is thin & stretching and sooner will give way. Hurting Igbos, dissatisfied and harbouring deep-seated grudge are waiting to move on yet none to pacify them of injustices meted out before & after 66, and continues till date. Then there's the case of the niger deltan, he sees his resources being controlled by another whose authority he is prevented from determining. He sees profligacy by another, the arbiter of his estate-his grieviance just like his Igbo neighbour is real, near and present. Besides, there's the Hausa-fulani, the man in whose hands susbsist power to give and to take back for over 30 years in a period of 44 years! It is sad that the coming voting exercise has already the denouement of power capturing instead of nation building through servicewe need more than ever to talk the way we desire to live together. A system in which few progress against the many is bound to elicit anger and violent change down the road.
Re: Why I Dumped Jonathan For IBB, By Dokpesi (Zoning) by dustydee: 2:38pm On Sep 14, 2010
very interesting and educative comments, some intelligent others, well not so intelligent. seems almost everyone here is a PDP member/supporter otherwise what is our business with zoning given that it is a PDP "family" matter?
Dokpesi has the right to associate with whoever he chooses to, mind you not every GEJ supporter is there because they love him, some are there because of selfish reasons (money)
Re: Why I Dumped Jonathan For IBB, By Dokpesi (Zoning) by gadogado(m): 3:25pm On Sep 14, 2010
Solomon227:

@ godogodo
Shut up and reason, stop comparing US to Nigeria

US has a system dat can hardly work in Nigeria where d likes of IBB will publicly state since the south controls economic power the North should control political power.

Clinton was Arkansa's governor befor vying for presidency (Arkansa,s to California 4 instance is like Bayelsa to kano). Obama can also be likened to a minority from small Hawaii Island and popularly elected as a president to lead your so called majority.

Thre is nothing like majority rule in the US as electorability of a candidate is determined by his antecedents, charisma and suitability of his/her policies to the electorates and  has little or nothing to do with where u are coming from.

I suppose running out of points breeds anger. The simple fact is there are what you call majority and minorities in America, its not based on what state you're from but what your skin color is. In Nigeria, its not based on skin color but what ethnicity you are. SIMPLE!!
Re: Why I Dumped Jonathan For IBB, By Dokpesi (Zoning) by Solomon227(m): 3:32pm On Sep 14, 2010
@ godogodo

I suppose running out of points breeds anger. The simple fact is there are what you call majority and minorities in America, its not based on what state you're from but what your skin color is. In Nigeria, its not based on skin color but what ethnicity you are. SIMPLE!!

Anger gini! The only person that I am reserving my anger for is IBB not a an unrepentant beggar like u
Re: Why I Dumped Jonathan For IBB, By Dokpesi (Zoning) by houvest: 3:37pm On Sep 14, 2010
gadogado:

Nigeria is a plural country, so is America. But the fact is democracy is a game of numbers and majority counts for something. Minorities typically have less say, thats a fact of life. The single largest majority in Nigeria is the Hausa-Fulani. The three majorities in the entire country are wazobia. So these people will/should have more of a say in how things are done.
#

It appears you are now modifying your position from 'all the say' to'more of a say'. Good Progress. Definitely greater progress is needed to achieve your dreams of a great Nigeria. Else what you will get is fragments therefore if there is a conscious or an unconscious policy to disenfranchise any group no matter how few, and  BTW which census are you using to evaluate the numerical strenght of the ethnicities, again why classify the hausa -fulani as one, are they identical twins joined at the hips?If you will classify two ethnicities as one then go ahead and join Yoruba to Edo and Igbo to Efik /Ibibio etc. Such classifications are used only for one agenda, Perpetuation of a myth for domination and intimidation purposes. But why not  wake up and smell the coffee. FGS it is no more working, a la GEJ vs the North. What we need in Nigeria Is what will work for us and make every citizen have a sense of belonging and belief that one day he might be the head of state. This in turn will ensure committment.
Re: Why I Dumped Jonathan For IBB, By Dokpesi (Zoning) by gadogado(m): 3:43pm On Sep 14, 2010
Vavavoom:

I have read Gadogado's rebuttals and can't seem to understand his insistence on not changing the rule or moving the zoning/rotationdepending on who you plan on deceiving goal post mid way but has evasively refused to answer the question of a change from regions contributing to the centre during the groundnut era to the centre taking charge of allotment upon the discovery of oilshocked. Maybe I should repeat the question, Where has the groundnut gone?

On a personal level I find it disturbing when educated folks would rather champion ethnicity rather than competencein matters of leadership on the basis of prevailing realitiesI think more about the fear of change than anything. So instead of sensitizing people around one to vote for a competent Buhari or have a Tunde Bakare lead us for example the admonishment is all for zoning based on ethno-religious sentiments angry.

I couldn't help but realise upon reading 8 pages that what binds us is thin & stretching and sooner will give way. Hurting Igbos, dissatisfied and harbouring deep-seated grudge are waiting to move on yet none to pacify them of injustices meted out before & after 66, and continues till date. Then there's the case of the niger deltan, he sees his resources being controlled by another whose authority he is prevented from determining. He sees profligacy by another, the arbiter of his estate-his grieviance just like his Igbo neighbour is real, near and present.  Besides, there's the Hausa-fulani, the man in whose hands susbsist power to give and to take back for over 30 years in a period of 44 years! It is sad that the coming voting exercise has already  the denouement of power capturing instead of nation building through servicewe need more than ever to talk the way we desire to live together. A system in which few progress against the many is bound to elicit anger and violent change down the road.

This is hardly about "championing" ethnicity. Its about maintaining a delicate and fragile balance of power. With that balance skewed in a democratic dispensation, we stand no chance of developing as a nation. America is selling $60 billion worth of arms to Saudi, i read this yesterday, but the reason is (according to America) that the sale is to achieve the objective of maintaining the "balance of power" in the middle east. See how important "balance" is?
The perceived imbalance of power was what partly informed Ojukwu's decision to secede. It can cause wars, political friction and over heated polity. Care must be taken to preserve this balance.
Re: Why I Dumped Jonathan For IBB, By Dokpesi (Zoning) by Nnaboys: 3:47pm On Sep 14, 2010
Everybody has a right to their opinions so let us leave Dokpesi alone. He has taken the right decision and I am sure He will not regret it.
Re: Why I Dumped Jonathan For IBB, By Dokpesi (Zoning) by gadogado(m): 3:52pm On Sep 14, 2010
Solomon227:

@ godogodo

Anger gini! The only person that I am reserving my anger for is IBB not a an unrepentant beggar like u

Call it whatever you like, the day you stop needing the Nigerian military to protect your borders and the oil in it from foreign invasion is the day i'll qualify as a beggar proper. Now, the oil is eminent domain of the FG and it allows the FG to meet its national and international responsibilities such as maintaining a military, diplomatic relations with other countries amongst other things.
ME: My country is Nigeria and our number 1 export is oil.
YOU: My country is Ijaw land, our export is oil, revenue from which we have to share with a foreign country called Nigeria.
Re: Why I Dumped Jonathan For IBB, By Dokpesi (Zoning) by Solomon227(m): 3:54pm On Sep 14, 2010
@ godogodo

This is hardly about "championing" ethnicity. Its about maintaining a delicate and fragile balance of power. With that balance skewed in a democratic dispensation, we stand no chance of developing as a nation. America is selling $60 billion worth of arms to Saudi, i read this yesterday, but the reason is (according to America) that the sale is to achieve the objective of maintaining the "balance of power" in the middle east. See how important "balance" is?
The perceived imbalance of power was what partly informed Ojukwu's decision to secede. It can cause wars, political friction and over heated polity. Care must be taken to preserve this balance.

So in your own definition of power balance a minority like GEJ has no right to constitutionally approved 4 years out of 50 years existence of the Nation? But the North should have more of the already gulped 38 years ? U are a big joke
Re: Why I Dumped Jonathan For IBB, By Dokpesi (Zoning) by Solomon227(m): 3:57pm On Sep 14, 2010
@ godogodo

Call it whatever you like, the day you stop needing the Nigerian military to protect your borders and the oil in it from foreign invasion is the day i'll qualify as a beggar proper. Now, the oil is eminent domain of the FG and it allows the FG to meet its national and international responsibilities such as maintaining a military, diplomatic relations with other countries amongst other things.

U will soon cease to live on oil. Just wait and let yor people succed in forcing GEJ out first then u will see the end your begging officially announced. Greedy almajiri
Re: Why I Dumped Jonathan For IBB, By Dokpesi (Zoning) by gadogado(m): 4:06pm On Sep 14, 2010
Solomon227:

@ godogodo

So in your own definition of power balance a minority like GEJ has no right to constitutionally approved 4 years out of 50 years existence of the Nation? But the North should have more of the already gulped 38 years ? U are a big joke

Of course he has a right to be president. I respect that right. But he should uphold his party's agreements which came to be from a desire to ensure equitable distribution of power among the different interests in our country. Had Yar'adua not died, nobody would be ask him to hand over to Jonathan in 2011. Everybody would expect that he stays till 2015 then switch zones. But you're capitalizing on an unfortunate tragedy, see how dishonorable that is?
Re: Why I Dumped Jonathan For IBB, By Dokpesi (Zoning) by anonimi: 4:50pm On Sep 14, 2010
The Babangida years

By Tolu Ogunlesi
April 17, 2010 10:36PM   

In his first New Year Days speech as military president, months after deposing the Buhari-Idiagbon government in a bloodless coup enthusiastically welcomed by Nigerians, Ibrahim Babangida declared: I wish to reaffirm that this administration does not intend to stay in power a day longer than is required to lay the necessary institutional framework to bring about a better and more stable Nigeria. Babangidas bonhomie (its trademark an endearing gap-toothed smile) - in stark contrast to the stern, unsmiling façade of Muhammadu Buhari, his predecessor - made it easy for him to be believed.
The distinction between the two regimes in fact ran much deeper than personality quirks. Babangida, in action, proved to be the complete antithesis of his predecessor. He threw open prison doors, setting free hundreds of 3rd republic politicians convicted and jailed by Buhari. He repealed the obnoxious Decree No. 4 of 1984 with which the Buhari regime had shackled the media. He promised to run an open administration that is responsive to the yearnings and aspirations of all the people - a departure from the high-handedness of the Buhari/Idiagbon era.
One of his first actions as military president was to allow Nigerians to decide, through public debates, whether to accept the $2.5 billion International Monetary Fund (IMF) loan the Buhari government had been negotiating for.
After the terror of the Buhari years, Nigerians appeared to have found a statesman in military uniform.

Tough times that lasted

By 1985, Nigerias foreign debt had ballooned to $18 billion, up from $3.4 billion in 1980 (it would rise beyond $30 billion by the end of the 80s), and external reserves had dwindled to less than $2 billion. Oil prices had been in freefall for 3 years running, and in January 1986 they finally fell to less than $20 per barrel, a record low since the start of the decade.
To his credit Babangida made all the right noises about revamping the economy. In his Independence Day 1985 speech, barely two months old in office, he declared a state of economic emergency for the next 15 months. That speech went on to lay down a comprehensive plan for economic reconstruction.
This plan included a moratorium on new foreign debt, promotion of agriculture and industrial development, restriction of importation to essential commodities, financial sector reform and privatisation.

Populist leanings

IBB was a master of the populist move - ambitious government programs targeted at tackling poverty, and empowering rural dwellers. His government churned out program after program, in a bid to actualize his promises to run an inclusive, people-facing government. In 1986, Babangida launched the Mass Mobilization for Self Reliance, Social Justice, and Economic Recovery (MAMSER).
In 1987, the Directorate of Food and Rural Infrastructure (DFFRI) was launched to promote agriculture and transform Nigerias rural landscape by providing modern infrastructure. Other Babangida creations include the National Directorate of Employment (NDE), National Economic Reconstruction Fund (NERFUND), Peoples Bank of Nigeria (PBN), National Board for Community Banks (NBCB), Nigerian Deposit Insurance Corporation (NDIC), Nigeria Export-Import Bank (NEXIM), National Planning Commission (NPC), and the Urban Development Bank.
No other Nigerian government presided over such substantial expansion of government bureaucracy as the Babangida administration. In time, the fiscal prudence that Babangida espoused vanished: billions of naira were sunk into an endless transition programme, and in the early 90s, 12 billion dollars worth of windfall crude oil revenue (courtesy of the rise in the oil prices due to the Gulf War) could not be accounted for.
Mr. Babangida also came to perfect the art of dispensing patronage through political appointments (mostly targeted at leading members of the opposition) and a far-from-transparent allocation of lucrative oil blocks.

A man whose words mean nothing

Mr. Babangidas contradictions eventually overwhelmed his reputation so that when, in May 1993, the activist and lawyer Gani Fawehinmi described him as a man whose words mean nothing to him, evidence of this littered his eight years in power.
Only months after vowing to run a government by consultation with the people, Mr. Babangida in 1986 surreptitiously - and unilaterally - took Nigeria, an avowed secular state, into full membership of the Organisation of Islamic Conference (OIC), a body which describes itself as the collective voice of the Muslim world.
Mr. Babangida lamented the large role played by the public sector in economic activity with hardly any concrete results to justify such a role.Ironically, over the course of the next five years, he would go ahead to supervise an unprecedented expansion of government. And despite his deference to the wish of Nigerians to reject the IMF loan, Mr. Babangida went ahead to implement some of the Funds most drastic requirements - a devaluation of the naira, and removal of subsidies, chief of which were the petroleum subsidies.
Mr. Babangida promised Nigerians that the belt-tightening was sorely needed: the painful injection that would usher in vibrant economic health; the mandatory dark lining before a cloud of prosperity. Those reforms, which he christened Structural Adjustment Programme (SAP), came into effect in 1986, with a far-from-pleasant impact on Nigerians. Purchasing powers dwindled, inflation rose, and the obliteration of the middle class began. In 1989, SAP riots rocked the country, as Nigerians had finally had enough of economic reforms which silver lining they waited in vain for.

Greatest failings

Mr. Babangidas greatest failings were however in two key areas: his human rights record, and his political transition programme. In December 1985, a group of soldiers, which included his close friend, Mamman Vatsa, were arrested on allegations of plotting to topple the 4-month old Babangida government. After Vatsa was convicted and sentenced to death, Mr. Babangida assured a delegation of distinguished writers (Wole Soyinka, Chinua Achebe and J.P. Clark), which had come pleading for mercy, that he was determined to do everything in my power to save (Vatsa).
Hours later, Vatsa and the other alleged plotters were executed.
As opposition to Mr. Babangidas rule grew, so did his intolerance for dissent, so that he routinely shut down or proscribed media houses; and harassed journalists, civil society and labour groups using the instruments of state (the State Security Service, Directorate of Military Intelligence and the Police).
In 1986, five students of the Ahmadu Bello University were murdered when mobile policemen invaded the campus to quell anti-IMF protests. He also promulgated a series of draconian decrees targeted at quelling all opposition, and on occasion did not hesitate to deport foreign critics (University lecturer Patrick Wilmot and journalist William Keeling).
In October 1986, frontline journalist Dele Giwa was murdered by a letter bomb in Lagos. Preliminary police investigations stated that senior officers of Mr. Babangidas intelligence services, who had hounded Giwa in his final days, had questions to answer regarding Giwas death. The mystery of the Giwa assassination remains unsolved till date.

An interminable journey

A maddeningly convoluted transition programme, whose terminal date soon became a mirage - first 1990, then 1992, and then 1993 - is one of the most significant things Babangida will be remembered for.
Early on in his administration, Mr. Babangida inaugurated a Political Bureau to kick off, as it were, the national debate on a viable future political ethos and structure for our dear country.
The political bureau was soon followed by a Constituent Assembly, which in 1989 fashioned a new constitution for the country.
Also, in 1989, he created, by presidential fiat, two political parties, the Social Democratic Party and the National Republican Convention. Then in 1991, he released a controversial list of prominent politicians whom he said were banned from participating in the transition programme.
In October 1992, he cancelled the results of the parties presidential primaries, causing new primaries to be held in March 1993. And then in June 1993 he annulled the results of the presidential elections, presumed to have been won by billionaire businessman MKO Abiola.

This was the final straw
By this time, Nigerians had finally had enough of his shenanigans, and violent protests forced him to step aside on August 27, 1993,My colleagues and I are determined to change the course of history, Mr. Babangida told Nigerians in his maiden speech as Head of State, on August 27, 1985.
By the time he reluctantly relinquished power exactly eight years later, he had achieved that goal, far more successfully than he, or anyone else, could ever have imagined.

Source: Next
====================

The Holy Book says "my people perish for lack of knowledge".
Will you allow 150m of us (Nigerians) perish or will you ALSO forward this article on the (mis) deeds of our self-proclaimed "evil genius" to all Nigerians that you know
Will you help confirm "maradona" IBB's claim (in Germany in the 90s during one of his radiculopathy treatment trips) that we, his fellow citizens are "docile" (MUGUs) by not sharing this mail
Find a way to get involved at all levels- local, state and federal- this election period for a better Nigeria!!!
Re: Why I Dumped Jonathan For IBB, By Dokpesi (Zoning) by soldee: 6:10pm On Sep 14, 2010
Boo-Hoo!! IBB's eight years were no worse that OBJs eight years. Dont forget Odi, then there's that village in Benue, both flattenned like those people were just paper; who killed Bola Ige?, Third Term, failed Power Projects, NPA contracts scandal of gazillions, roads contract scam of gazillions, haliburton, siemens ID card scam, COJA, PDP Votes, Environmental Fund scam in gazillions, NNPC scams in gazillions, garrisson-style politics a'la Adedibu and Akala, the list is inexhaustive!! They are all the same!! Nigeria stopped OBJs Third Term yet he's back pulling the strings of his puppet!!

IBB, OBJ, Buhari - its a Generals' Battle. We're all gonna fall in line behind one of them - make your choice, but do it with your eyes wide open!!
Re: Why I Dumped Jonathan For IBB, By Dokpesi (Zoning) by Ibime(m): 6:19pm On Sep 14, 2010
Gadogado can type all he likes. Niger Delta has never been under attack from external forces so I don't know why he keeps talking about Nigerian Army protecting borders. The only people who attack the Niger Delta are the Nigerian Army, from the obliteration of Ogoni lands to Odi.
Re: Why I Dumped Jonathan For IBB, By Dokpesi (Zoning) by sessy2(f): 7:04pm On Sep 14, 2010
Find out how dokpesi stole money from Abiola and Yar'adua Snr. when he was suppose to run their shipping company and then you'll not find this strange dat his following IBB. his just a thief.
Re: Why I Dumped Jonathan For IBB, By Dokpesi (Zoning) by Eduboi(m): 11:27pm On Sep 14, 2010
It pains me each time i hear IBB's presendential campaign jingles on Raypower, infact i'm disappointed with Mr. Dokpesi
Re: Why I Dumped Jonathan For IBB, By Dokpesi (Zoning) by Onlytruth(m): 11:55pm On Sep 14, 2010
Ibime:

Gadogado can type all he likes. Niger Delta has never been under attack from external forces so I don't know why he keeps talking about Nigerian Army protecting borders. [/b]The only people who attack the Niger Delta are the Nigerian Army, from the obliteration of Ogoni lands to Odi.

I may not agree with some of [b]gadogado
's points, but the one he keeps making about Nigerian military defending the whole country should not be dismissed offhand. I know, for instance, that under IBB and Abacha, the Nigerian military defended Bakassi and kept Camerounian gendarmes at bay. They staunchly defended Nigeria and made Nigerians proud. I know I was far more proud as a Nigerian under IBB and Abacha than under Obasanjo. Guess who handed Bakassi to Cameroun? It was a south westerner called Obasanjo, not a northerner.  undecided

Or is Bakassi not part of the so called Niger delta?
If the Nigerian military is defending Nigerian territories against invaders like they did in Bakassi, how can any Nigerian deny what they did?

Politics is making Nigerians delusional these days. Truth must be told always no matter whose ox is gored.
If the so called Niger delta doesn't like the idea of sharing the oil money, the people there should try to secede.
If a northern soldier can die to defend the oil fields, how dare you question their claims to equal ownership of the oil.
Justice should be done even if heavens fall!  cool
Re: Why I Dumped Jonathan For IBB, By Dokpesi (Zoning) by Vavavoom(m): 1:04am On Sep 15, 2010
gadogado:

Of course he has a right to be president. I respect that right. But he should uphold his party's agreements which came to be from a desire to ensure equitable distribution of power among the different interests in our country. Had Yar'adua not died, nobody would be ask him to hand over to Jonathan in 2011. Everybody would expect that he stays till 2015 then switch zones. But you're capitalizing on an unfortunate tragedy, see how dishonorable that is?

Mr. Gadogado you amaze me when you talk about agreement and principle with regards to the ruling pdp. Am astounded simply because in a country where trust amongst ethnic regions is non-existent , where Abubakar Rimi, a northerner of the same pdp extraction ran against OBJ after this same much purported zoning formula shocked for the primary ticket , am i missing something here? Honour? Amongst thieves? In this dubious game of instant opportunity and checkmate you choose to be hypothetical and say ''had Yar'adua not died'', allow me to let you in on something; had my mother been my father I would have had lesbian parent cheesy. Politics is about opportunity and seizing the moemnt when in your grip. It is contradictory that persons like IBBfailed to honuourably handover power to an elected democratic president and Atikulook up the meaning in a dictionary and you'll find entries such as: unprincipled, satnds for everything and nothing, dishourable, are championing the doctrine of honour and fair principle tongue, blabbibg about gentleman hogwash and what-have-you; as far as am concerned the whole of them lot in the pdp stink and no amount of image laundry will give them any semblance of credence nor honour. From IBB-to-Atiku-OBJ-Jonathan down to their party chair, all of them are dishonourable men and can't be looked at with the compass of honour. You also astound me with ''Its about maintaining a delicate and fragile balance of power'', I ask, power for what purpose and for whom? The ordinary man on the streets just desire a life where he can have access to the basic neccessities for survival and cares less about power balance. Don't you think the north can present better and people-centred credible aspirants that can hold their own against the south? Shouldn't that be the position of one who enjoys the freedom of good governance-accountability, justice and equity in good Ol' USA? I hope you are not offended but you come accross as elitist- a status quo keeper sad
Re: Why I Dumped Jonathan For IBB, By Dokpesi (Zoning) by peruso: 2:52am On Sep 15, 2010
Now Dokpesi has spoken, I think he sounds more rational than the senile Edwin Clark.

well spoken
Re: Why I Dumped Jonathan For IBB, By Dokpesi (Zoning) by peruso: 3:00am On Sep 15, 2010
Eduboi:

It pains me each time i hear IBB's presendential campaign jingles on Raypower, infact i'm disappointed with Mr. Dokpesi

Get a life or better still go grab a very live transformer, or better still if don't feel like hearing the jingle cut off your ears. you myopic minded fool.

just look for a taller fence and sit and stop coming to NL to get pple angry.
Re: Why I Dumped Jonathan For IBB, By Dokpesi (Zoning) by peruso: 3:03am On Sep 15, 2010
anonimi:

The Babangida years

By Tolu Ogunlesi
April 17, 2010 10:36PM   

In his first New Year Days speech as military president, months after deposing the Buhari-Idiagbon government in a bloodless coup enthusiastically welcomed by Nigerians, Ibrahim Babangida declared: I wish to reaffirm that this administration does not intend to stay in power a day longer than is required to lay the necessary institutional framework to bring about a better and more stable Nigeria. Babangidas bonhomie (its trademark an endearing gap-toothed smile) - in stark contrast to the stern, unsmiling façade of Muhammadu Buhari, his predecessor - made it easy for him to be believed.
The distinction between the two regimes in fact ran much deeper than personality quirks. Babangida, in action, proved to be the complete antithesis of his predecessor. He threw open prison doors, setting free hundreds of 3rd republic politicians convicted and jailed by Buhari. He repealed the obnoxious Decree No. 4 of 1984 with which the Buhari regime had shackled the media. He promised to run an open administration that is responsive to the yearnings and aspirations of all the people - a departure from the high-handedness of the Buhari/Idiagbon era.
One of his first actions as military president was to allow Nigerians to decide, through public debates, whether to accept the $2.5 billion International Monetary Fund (IMF) loan the Buhari government had been negotiating for.
After the terror of the Buhari years, Nigerians appeared to have found a statesman in military uniform.

Tough times that lasted

By 1985, Nigerias foreign debt had ballooned to $18 billion, up from $3.4 billion in 1980 (it would rise beyond $30 billion by the end of the 80s), and external reserves had dwindled to less than $2 billion. Oil prices had been in freefall for 3 years running, and in January 1986 they finally fell to less than $20 per barrel, a record low since the start of the decade.
To his credit Babangida made all the right noises about revamping the economy. In his Independence Day 1985 speech, barely two months old in office, he declared a state of economic emergency for the next 15 months. That speech went on to lay down a comprehensive plan for economic reconstruction.
This plan included a moratorium on new foreign debt, promotion of agriculture and industrial development, restriction of importation to essential commodities, financial sector reform and privatisation.

Populist leanings

IBB was a master of the populist move - ambitious government programs targeted at tackling poverty, and empowering rural dwellers. His government churned out program after program, in a bid to actualize his promises to run an inclusive, people-facing government. In 1986, Babangida launched the Mass Mobilization for Self Reliance, Social Justice, and Economic Recovery (MAMSER).
In 1987, the Directorate of Food and Rural Infrastructure (DFFRI) was launched to promote agriculture and transform Nigerias rural landscape by providing modern infrastructure. Other Babangida creations include the National Directorate of Employment (NDE), National Economic Reconstruction Fund (NERFUND), Peoples Bank of Nigeria (PBN), National Board for Community Banks (NBCB), Nigerian Deposit Insurance Corporation (NDIC), Nigeria Export-Import Bank (NEXIM), National Planning Commission (NPC), and the Urban Development Bank.
No other Nigerian government presided over such substantial expansion of government bureaucracy as the Babangida administration. In time, the fiscal prudence that Babangida espoused vanished: billions of naira were sunk into an endless transition programme, and in the early 90s, 12 billion dollars worth of windfall crude oil revenue (courtesy of the rise in the oil prices due to the Gulf War) could not be accounted for.
Mr. Babangida also came to perfect the art of dispensing patronage through political appointments (mostly targeted at leading members of the opposition) and a far-from-transparent allocation of lucrative oil blocks.

A man whose words mean nothing

Mr. Babangidas contradictions eventually overwhelmed his reputation so that when, in May 1993, the activist and lawyer Gani Fawehinmi described him as a man whose words mean nothing to him, evidence of this littered his eight years in power.
Only months after vowing to run a government by consultation with the people, Mr. Babangida in 1986 surreptitiously - and unilaterally - took Nigeria, an avowed secular state, into full membership of the Organisation of Islamic Conference (OIC), a body which describes itself as the collective voice of the Muslim world.
Mr. Babangida lamented the large role played by the public sector in economic activity with hardly any concrete results to justify such a role.Ironically, over the course of the next five years, he would go ahead to supervise an unprecedented expansion of government. And despite his deference to the wish of Nigerians to reject the IMF loan, Mr. Babangida went ahead to implement some of the Funds most drastic requirements - a devaluation of the naira, and removal of subsidies, chief of which were the petroleum subsidies.
Mr. Babangida promised Nigerians that the belt-tightening was sorely needed: the painful injection that would usher in vibrant economic health; the mandatory dark lining before a cloud of prosperity. Those reforms, which he christened Structural Adjustment Programme (SAP), came into effect in 1986, with a far-from-pleasant impact on Nigerians. Purchasing powers dwindled, inflation rose, and the obliteration of the middle class began. In 1989, SAP riots rocked the country, as Nigerians had finally had enough of economic reforms which silver lining they waited in vain for.

Greatest failings

Mr. Babangidas greatest failings were however in two key areas: his human rights record, and his political transition programme. In December 1985, a group of soldiers, which included his close friend, Mamman Vatsa, were arrested on allegations of plotting to topple the 4-month old Babangida government. After Vatsa was convicted and sentenced to death, Mr. Babangida assured a delegation of distinguished writers (Wole Soyinka, Chinua Achebe and J.P. Clark), which had come pleading for mercy, that he was determined to do everything in my power to save (Vatsa).
Hours later, Vatsa and the other alleged plotters were executed.
As opposition to Mr. Babangidas rule grew, so did his intolerance for dissent, so that he routinely shut down or proscribed media houses; and harassed journalists, civil society and labour groups using the instruments of state (the State Security Service, Directorate of Military Intelligence and the Police).
In 1986, five students of the Ahmadu Bello University were murdered when mobile policemen invaded the campus to quell anti-IMF protests. He also promulgated a series of draconian decrees targeted at quelling all opposition, and on occasion did not hesitate to deport foreign critics (University lecturer Patrick Wilmot and journalist William Keeling).
In October 1986, frontline journalist Dele Giwa was murdered by a letter bomb in Lagos. Preliminary police investigations stated that senior officers of Mr. Babangidas intelligence services, who had hounded Giwa in his final days, had questions to answer regarding Giwas death. The mystery of the Giwa assassination remains unsolved till date.

An interminable journey

A maddeningly convoluted transition programme, whose terminal date soon became a mirage - first 1990, then 1992, and then 1993 - is one of the most significant things Babangida will be remembered for.
Early on in his administration, Mr. Babangida inaugurated a Political Bureau to kick off, as it were, the national debate on a viable future political ethos and structure for our dear country.
The political bureau was soon followed by a Constituent Assembly, which in 1989 fashioned a new constitution for the country.
Also, in 1989, he created, by presidential fiat, two political parties, the Social Democratic Party and the National Republican Convention. Then in 1991, he released a controversial list of prominent politicians whom he said were banned from participating in the transition programme.
In October 1992, he cancelled the results of the parties presidential primaries, causing new primaries to be held in March 1993. And then in June 1993 he annulled the results of the presidential elections, presumed to have been won by billionaire businessman MKO Abiola.

This was the final straw
By this time, Nigerians had finally had enough of his shenanigans, and violent protests forced him to step aside on August 27, 1993,My colleagues and I are determined to change the course of history, Mr. Babangida told Nigerians in his maiden speech as Head of State, on August 27, 1985.
By the time he reluctantly relinquished power exactly eight years later, he had achieved that goal, far more successfully than he, or anyone else, could ever have imagined.

Source: Next
====================

The Holy Book says "my people perish for lack of knowledge".
Will you allow 150m of us (Nigerians) perish or will you ALSO forward this article on the (mis) deeds of our self-proclaimed "evil genius" to all Nigerians that you know
Will you help confirm "maradona" IBB's claim (in Germany in the 90s during one of his radiculopathy treatment trips) that we, his fellow citizens are "docile" (MUGUs) by not sharing this mail
Find a way to get involved at all levels- local, state and federal- this election period for a better Nigeria!!!

BLA BLA BLA, BLABLABLA, BLAAAAAAAAAAA, BLAAAABLALA
Re: Why I Dumped Jonathan For IBB, By Dokpesi (Zoning) by TewMuch: 3:22am On Sep 15, 2010
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-513509.0.html

Read this thread, and guess which supporter is snitching and betraying y'all. Its like trivia, if you get it right you get a cookie
Re: Why I Dumped Jonathan For IBB, By Dokpesi (Zoning) by Onlytruth(m): 3:37am On Sep 15, 2010
TewMuch:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-513655.0.html

Read this thread, and guess which supporter is snitching and betraying y'all. Its like trivia, if you get it right you get a cookie

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-513655.0.html

Re: Why I Dumped Jonathan For IBB, By Dokpesi (Zoning) by PhysicsQED(m): 4:04am On Sep 15, 2010
I'll be back to deal with some of the claims in here  in a day or two. Especially this gadogado fellow. He had a few valid points but his most important claims amount to nothing more than distortions. Some of his rejoinders were a distortion of the reality.

@ Dede1, I did not really bring the comparison of America and Nigeria into this discussion, that was gadogado. He seems to believe that the Nigerian scheme could actually be compared to the American economy.
Re: Why I Dumped Jonathan For IBB, By Dokpesi (Zoning) by adconline(m): 4:30am On Sep 15, 2010
I doubt if you receive any form of education. Crude Oil may have been struck or drilled in a geographical entity known as southern Nigeria and particularly the so-called Niger Delta but Niger Delta does not produce crude oil. Crude oil is a natural endowment that could be found in certain areas of the world. The only finish product certain area of the so-called Niger Delta can supply is smoked fish. Ignorance is really a disease.

What a replica of idiocy!! Who  ever thought  that an ignoramus could be cloned? C.S.I = Cant Stand an
Re: Why I Dumped Jonathan For IBB, By Dokpesi (Zoning) by gadogado(m): 6:05am On Sep 15, 2010
Onlytruth:

I may not agree with some of gadogado's points, but the one he keeps making about Nigerian military defending the whole country should not be dismissed offhand. I know, for instance, that under IBB and Abacha, the Nigerian military defended Bakassi and kept Camerounian gendarmes at bay. They staunchly defended Nigeria and made Nigerians proud. I know I was far more proud as a Nigerian under IBB and Abacha than under Obasanjo. Guess who handed Bakassi to Cameroun? It was a south westerner called Obasanjo, not a northerner.  undecided

Or is Bakassi not part of the so called Niger delta? 
If the Nigerian military is defending Nigerian territories against invaders like they did in Bakassi, how can any Nigerian deny what they did?

Politics is making Nigerians delusional these days. Truth must be told always no matter whose ox is gored.
If the so called Niger delta doesn't like the idea of sharing the oil money, the people there should try to secede.
If a northern soldier can die to defend the oil fields, how dare you question their claims to equal ownership of the oil.

Justice should be done even if heavens fall!  cool

Thank you my brother. Simple logic, you cant have it both ways.
Re: Why I Dumped Jonathan For IBB, By Dokpesi (Zoning) by gadogado(m): 6:47am On Sep 15, 2010
Vavavoom:

Mr. Gadogado you amaze me when you talk about agreement and principle with regards to the ruling pdp. Am astounded simply because in a country where trust amongst ethnic regions is non-existent , where Abubakar Rimi, a northerner of the same pdp extraction ran against OBJ after this same much purported zoning formula shocked for the primary ticket , am i missing something here? Honour? Amongst thieves? In this dubious game of instant opportunity and checkmate you choose to be hypothetical and say ''had Yar'adua not died'', allow me to let you in on something; had my mother been my father I would have had lesbian parent cheesy. Politics is about opportunity and seizing the moemnt when in your grip.  It is contradictory that persons like IBBfailed to honuourably handover power to an elected democratic president and Atikulook up the meaning in a dictionary and you'll find entries such as: unprincipled, satnds for everything and nothing, dishourable, are championing the doctrine of honour and fair principle tongue, blabbibg about gentleman hogwash and what-have-you; as far as am concerned the whole of them lot in the pdp stink and no amount of image laundry will give them any semblance of credence nor honour. From IBB-to-Atiku-OBJ-Jonathan down to their party chair, all of them are dishonourable men and can't be looked at with the compass of honour.  You also astound me with ''Its about maintaining a delicate and fragile balance of power'', I ask, power for what purpose and for whom? The ordinary man on the streets just desire a life where he can have access to the basic neccessities for survival and cares less about power balance.  Don't you think the north can present better and people-centred credible aspirants that can hold their own against the south? Shouldn't that be the position of one who enjoys the freedom of good governance-accountability, justice and equity in good Ol' USA? I hope you are not offended but you come accross as elitist- a status quo keeper sad

Elitist? no I just realize and accept that "individuals" are not going to change Nigeria's course, hell, even if you have good intentions, the office and all the pressures that surround it may easily corrupt you. I believe corruption is a systemic social problem that can only be tackled by building institutions that check it. Is the government going to build the institutions, hell NO. People have to hold the govt accountable by pouring onto the streets en-mass like they do in France. You expect the govt to hold itself accountable? (oya mr. minister of justice, prosecute your friend and colleague mr. minister of transport for corruption) you think he'll do it when theres no real pressure and when he knows people will only mumble, groan and forget *shakes head* reasonable fear of the people (masses) has to instilled in the govt. The people themselves must be the institution that not only checks corruption but forces/pressures the govt to act on their behalf by prosecuting their corrupt members. As it stands, govt doesn't fear Nigerian people in the least bit. I once saw an ordinary guy lay flat on the ground while simultaneously crawling in front of a governor to "greet" him as if it was an act of worship.
How in the hell do you expect mr. governor not to see you as a serf with no honor whose money can be looted at will. Ask yourself this, and truthfully answer yourself, how will you behave in front of a governor, will your gestures send a signal to the governor informing him that he is alpha and omega??

People say the problem with Nigeria and corruption is "BAD LEADERSHIP" no, its passive foolish followers. Thats the problem. Its like if I have a car with no alarm and I leave the doors unlocked and maybe the keys in the ignition in the market, and i go off shopping, then come back and find my car stolen, then i utter "kai the problem with this market is car thieves" without apportioning even a percent of the blame to myself! do you follow where im coming from

In America (a system i happen to know fairly well) If the media carries a story of corruption by a government official, that day, the phones lines of congressmen will be jammed, see pressure, from ordinary folks, left-right-center making demands that the corrupt guy be jailed. I'm serious, non stop ringing, congressional aides will tell you this.
Re: Why I Dumped Jonathan For IBB, By Dokpesi (Zoning) by gadogado(m): 7:40am On Sep 15, 2010
@vavavoom

again, just to add, as in my car thief analogy, the guy may not even be a professional car thief, he may not have even stolen a car ever in his life, but that fine day, he saw a car, no alarm, unlocked doors, keys in the ignition. And he said, this is surely God's gift to me, even though he knows its wrong, he knows he's not being a good Samaritan by driving off in a car that doesn't belong to him, he knows he's not being a good and responsible citizen. But he does it anyway.

If you've ever seen money on the ground, picked it up and put it in your pocket and felt happy firm in the belief that God gave you the money, without being a good and responsible citizen and putting yourself in the original owners shoes (what if i dropped my money here, how would i feel if someone picked it up and left) and you never actually go investigating and hunting for someone that dropped his wad of cash (rarely). Why do we expect some sort of higher morality of public officers when they are simple men with as much weaknesses as anybody. My point being, never underestimate the length a man will go to justify a wrong that furnishes his self interest. (Mr. governors logic: Power belongs to God, God gave me power, God must surely want me to be rich, since nobody will say much if i take this money, after all, everybody else is doing it, its not just me)
This is an underlying philosophical argument im giving you to put across to you the idea that there is no such thing as good governance without responsible followership.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

IG: Constables To Earn N50000 / Ipob Replies Obong Attah : You Are Clueless,remember Philip Effiong / In India, Tinubu Takes Economic Diplomacy To Germany, South Korea

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 148
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.