Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,308 members, 7,940,237 topics. Date: Wednesday, 04 September 2024 at 08:19 PM

ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English - Education (26) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English (107680 Views)

Kids Will Learn ABC This Way, If This Generation Is Not Careful / Some Common Silly Mistakes/errors People Make In English Language. / Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) ... (72) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 5:04pm On Dec 02, 2010
Incorrect: I would like Ileke-idi more if she is/was more friendly.

Correct: I would like Ileke-idi more if she were more friendly.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 5:26pm On Dec 02, 2010
POSERS.

Fill in the gap.

The president requested that Igolo Migolo . . . . . . . plain English during Parliamentary sessions.

1. Uses

2. Use
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 5:29pm On Dec 02, 2010
POSER.

It is very imperative that these new facts . . . . . . taken into consideration.

1. Are

2. Be

Really tough wink wink
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 5:33pm On Dec 02, 2010
POSER.

The manager insisted that the new player . . . . . in the team's Champions League matches.

1. Play

2. Plays
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 5:41pm On Dec 02, 2010
The use of 'that' makes it tougher.

It is also a pointer.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 8:03pm On Dec 02, 2010
ola olabiy:

POSER.

The manager insisted that the new player . . . . . in the team's Champions League matches.

1. Play

2. Plays

plays
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 8:04pm On Dec 02, 2010
ola olabiy:

POSER.

It is very imperative that these new facts . . . . . . taken into consideration.

1. Are

2. Be

Really tough wink wink

are
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 8:05pm On Dec 02, 2010
ola olabiy:

POSERS.

Fill in the gap.

The president requested that Igolo Migolo . . . . . . . plain English during Parliamentary sessions.

1. Uses

2. Use

uses
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 8:08pm On Dec 02, 2010
ola olabiy:

Lesson 1:

SPLIT INFINITIVES.

Infinitive of a verb is the form given in the dictionary where no specific subject is indicated. It's always characterised by the word 'to'.

A split infinitive occurs when the 'to' is separated from its verb by other words (usually adverbs).

VERBS: pay, eat , bribe, find, work, go.

INFINITIVES: to pay, to eat, to bribe, to find, to go, to shout.

SPLIT INFINITIVES: to boldly go, to quickly go, to secretly bribe, to cautiously find.

CORRECT VERSION: to go boldly, to go quickly, to bribe secretly, to find cautiously.

We are all culpable.

There will be further explanation on Split Infinitives tonight.

Good one!
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by slap1(m): 10:40pm On Dec 02, 2010
ola olabiy:

POSER.

1. Are

2. Be

Really tough wink wink
Be . . . I go with Ferdiii on the rest.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 10:49pm On Dec 02, 2010
slap1:

Be . . . I go with Ferdiii on the rest.

Be . . . is correct.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 11:26pm On Dec 02, 2010
ferdiii:

plays

ferdiii:

uses

1. Play

2. Use

This usage is disappearing. Only conservative, right-leaning British writers observe rules of verbs in the subjunctive painstakingly. I think some aspects of it are Shakespearean.

That's why I said we shouldn't worry too much about it.

Subjunctive is about UNCERTAINTY/WISH. It relates to verbs.

The only clue I can give here is 'that'. The is just a guide.

Though, in some cases, it's CLEAR.
E.g. If wishes were horses, . . . . . . . . .
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 11:28pm On Dec 02, 2010
ola olabiy:

The is just a guide.

this is
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 9:17am On Dec 03, 2010
Correct: ShoeShine man/woman
Incorrect:Shoeshiner

Correct:Air freshener
Incorrect:Air fresher
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Odunnu: 9:27am On Dec 03, 2010
I'm seriously grateful to you all.
GS-101 indeed
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by slap1(m): 9:37am On Dec 03, 2010
Odunnu:

I'm seriously grateful to you all.
GS-101 indeed
This siggy of yours contradicts . . .
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Odunnu: 9:41am On Dec 03, 2010
Absolutely no correlation Slap1
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 10:41am On Dec 03, 2010
POSER
1.She spoke to him on the phone.
2.She spoke to him on phone.
which is the correct one?

Any difference?
1.Talk with me.
2.Talk to me.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 1:56pm On Dec 03, 2010
Funny enough or funnily enough.Which one is correct?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by slap1(m): 4:07pm On Dec 03, 2010
ferdiii:

POSER

Any difference?
1.Talk with me.
2.Talk to me.
I'd be glad to see anyone point-out the difference between talk to me and talk with me because they all mean the same thing at last.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 5:31pm On Dec 03, 2010
ferdiii:

POSER
1.Talk with me.
2.Talk to me.

'Talk to': this suggests a direct communication (with Odunnu ) and you intend to listen. 'Talk to' also means 'reprimand'. E.g. I have to talk to Ileke-idi.

'Talk with': this suggests a conversation. It suggests a two-way communication between you and Odunnu.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 5:37pm On Dec 03, 2010
ferdiii:

Funny enough or funnily enough.Which one is correct?

Funnily enough.

Thank you for this question, Ferdiii.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by slap1(m): 8:36pm On Dec 03, 2010
ola olabiy:

'Talk to': this suggests a direct communication (with Odunnu ) and you intend to listen. 'Talk to' also means 'reprimand'. E.g. I have to talk to Ileke-idi.

'Talk with': this suggests a conversation. It suggests a two-way communication between you and Odunnu.
Good. But I think the question was asked in the context of a single sentence. For instance, is there a difference between the sentence 'Talk with me' and 'Talk to me'.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 8:41pm On Dec 03, 2010
POSER

The former is the correct one, you can't ignore the aritcle but strangely enough, you read on screen if u are studying with a computer. Ola Olabiy, who got the others correctly. Thanks.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 8:44pm On Dec 03, 2010
POSER

Any problem:1.I go to work everyday
2.I go to work every day

a) Workplace/working place
b) Start from scratch/start from the scratch
c) I am in a haste/I am in haste
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 8:46pm On Dec 03, 2010
slap1:

Good. But I think the question was asked in the context of a single sentence. For instance, is there a difference between the sentence 'Talk with me' and 'Talk to me'.

better
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 9:57pm On Dec 03, 2010
slap1:

Oh. Sorry. There is a difference.
They don't mean the same thing.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 10:03pm On Dec 03, 2010
ferdiii:

POSER

Any problem:1.I go to work everyday
2.I go to work every day

The second one, Ferdiii.

The first one is only before a noun.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 10:09pm On Dec 03, 2010
ferdiii:

POSER

a) workplace

b) start from scratch

c) I am in haste
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 10:28pm On Dec 03, 2010
It's time for our boring class.

The subjunctive is derived from the infinitive of a verb. It is always in the same form for all persons (first person, third person, e.t.c.).
This is the present subjunctive.

THE PRESENT SUBJUNCTIVE
There is no distinction between regular and irregular verbs.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 10:35pm On Dec 03, 2010
The present subjunctive is used in a clause that follows . . . . . . ,uhn, for example, a clause/phrase that states that something (e.g. an event) is important/imperative/necessary.

E.g. It's important that Slap1 have unrestricted access to Tpia.

I insisted that Odunnu cook my dinner on time tonight.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 10:42pm On Dec 03, 2010
THE PAST SUBJUNCTIVE

This can be formed by combining auxilliary verb 'would' and an infinitive.
E.g. 'To be' becomes 'would be'.

It is also derived from the past tense of a verb (or an infinitive).

E.g. 'To see' becomes 'saw'.

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) ... (72) (Reply)

Female US Teacher Had Sex With Boy, 13, In Classroom & Even Moved Into His Home / Bnaira: Former UNILAG's Richest Boy (Then Vs Now Photos) / Ilaro Polytechnic Suspends Adegboye Olatunji, SUG President Over Cultism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.