Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,307 members, 7,940,235 topics. Date: Wednesday, 04 September 2024 at 08:18 PM

ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English - Education (27) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English (107678 Views)

Kids Will Learn ABC This Way, If This Generation Is Not Careful / Some Common Silly Mistakes/errors People Make In English Language. / Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (72) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 10:54pm On Dec 03, 2010
Besides, the past subjunctive often relates to a 'wish'.
Also, clauses introduced by 'as if' and 'if'.

E.g. If Ola tried more, Odunnu would be his wife.

Ferdiii wouldn't be so confident about Odunnu if he were Ola.

We are used to some forms of verb in the subjunctive.

E.g. If only this had been a thorough process, . . . . . .

When a statement/sentence is connected by two clauses, and:
1. One states a CONDITION
2. The other a RESULT.

tongue^^ . . . . . . .Na Mr subjunctive e must be smiley wink cheesy grin
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 12:17am On Dec 04, 2010
Ola, I enjoy ur infintives and its subs.

POSER

Which one is in order? 1.Politicians siphon money abroad.
2.Politicians siphon off money abroad.

Any different meaning between 1.in future
2.in the future

Which one is correct:1.Have your cake and eat.
2.Eat your cake and have it.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 7:26am On Dec 04, 2010
ferdiii:

Ola, I enjoy your infintives and its subs.

POSER

Which one is in order? 1.Politicians siphon money abroad.
2.Politicians siphon off money abroad.

2. Siphon off
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 7:32am On Dec 04, 2010
ferdiii:

POSER

Any different meaning between 1.in future
2.in the future

In future: British English
In the future: American English
It means 'from now on'. Both are idioms.

However, 'in the foreseeable future' is different.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 7:33am On Dec 04, 2010
ferdiii:

POSER

Which one is correct:1.Have your cake and eat.
2.Eat your cake and have it.

1. Have your cake and eat it.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 12:18pm On Dec 04, 2010
Please Ola & Slap1, which one is correct?:1.The result or admission list is out.
2.The result or admission list is in.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 1:25pm On Dec 04, 2010
ferdiii:

Please Ola & Slap1, which one is correct?:1.The result or admission list is out.
2.The result or admission list is in.

Hmmmmmmmm.

I can only say:

The results are out (this normally relates to students - when it is available to view by students).

The result is in (this normally relates to school authorities, news agencies and election bodies).

The result of an election is out when the general public can view it.

It is in when only the authorities have it (e.g. Jega is in possession of the result and informs reporters aout this development). Also, a live coverage by a news agency (i.e. they have it but not yet reeled out (or not yet in details) on their channel/page/wave e.t.c.). E.g. NTA: the result just in indicates that Ola has won.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Busybody2(f): 1:28pm On Dec 04, 2010
ola olabiy:

Hmmmmmmmm.

I can only say:

The results are out (this normally relates to students - when it is available to view by students).

The result is in (this normally relates to school authorities, news agencies and election bodies).

The result of an election is out when the general public can view it.

It is in when only the authorities have it (e.g. Jega is in possession of the result and informs reporters aout this development). Also, a live coverage by a news agency (i.e. they have it but not yet reeled out (or not yet in details) on their channel/page/wave e.t.c.). E.g. NTA: the result just in indicates that Ola has won.

Mr Lecturer,if we casn call you this Sir, you skipped the question about double dating earlier, isn't this wrong? Shouldn't it be two-timing
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 1:33pm On Dec 04, 2010
Busy_body:

Mr Lecturer,if we casn call you this Sir, you skipped the question about double dating earlier, isn't this wrong? Shouldn't it be two-timing

Awon ti Romance section. E be like sey my body go jolly today oo.

@OP. Where is the question, ma?

I didn't see it ni ma.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 2:02pm On Dec 04, 2010
^^^^
I was joking o, Busybody.

Both are English words. It depends on what you have in mind wink wink wink wink.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Busybody2(f): 2:06pm On Dec 04, 2010
ola olabiy:

Awon ti Romance section. E be like sey my body go jolly today oo.

@OP. Where is the question, ma?

I didn't see it ni ma.

Eemi ke ni romonce sekshun, o ti o, na my clone be that tongue What can fa I can only be found minutely, hourly and daily arguing and debating in Politics, Literary, Business, Webmaster and all those serious section, ati be be lo tongue grin

Wait come oh, Oga Lecturer, so you mean no be you be the person wey dey the link below, see you too don get clone like me, it must mean you have joined the intelligentsia league like me grin

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-445642.192.html#msg6817181

Okay i confess, na me dey romance section embarassed but that was 20 years ago na tongue I can now be found in the err . . . err . . . gulps . . . err . . .education section, Sir, yeah thats it tongue) cheesy
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Busybody2(f): 2:14pm On Dec 04, 2010
ola olabiy:

^^^^
I was joking o, Busybody.

Both are English words. It depends on what you have in mind wink wink wink wink.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

My pet peeve is when Nigerians generally wrongly use double dating to mean someone is cheating on them with two people instead of saying two-timing. An example from a thread culled from the err . . . Politics section which I only visit - https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-558592.0.html
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 2:14pm On Dec 04, 2010
Busy_body:

Eemi ke ni romonce sekshun, o ti o, na my clone be that tongue What can fa I can only be found minutely, hourly and daily arguing and debating in Politics, Literary, Business, Webmaster and all those serious section, ati be be lo tongue grin

Wait come oh, Oga Lecturer, so you mean no be you be the person wey dey the link below, see you too don get clone like me, it must mean you have joined the intelligentsia league like me grin

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-445642.192.html#msg6817181

Okay i confess, na me dey romance section embarassed but that was 20 years ago na tongue I can now be found in the err . . . err . . . gulps . . . err . . .education section, Sir, yeah thats it tongue) cheesy  

If e no be Ola, e no fit be Ola, ma.

Just checked, ma, you have been nominated as the best Political Romance/Sexuality Analyst on NL grin grin grin grin.
This is my thread. . . ., this is Ola on NL.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 2:18pm On Dec 04, 2010
Busy_body:

My pet peeve is when Nigerians generally wrongly use double dating to mean someone is cheating on them with two people instead of saying two-timing. An example from a thread culled from the err . . . Politics section which I only visit - https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-558592.0.html

You're right. But, i wouldn't call it a pet peeve.

Mine are 'am' (I am), 'loose' (lose) and 'your' (you're).
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 2:26pm On Dec 04, 2010
Busy_body:

I no wan dat league. Nah to dey jolly with women and politicians I prefer.

Intelligentsia? Nahhhh. Make my hair come go grey. Me wey be be Babyface.
Rara ma.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 2:31pm On Dec 04, 2010
Busy_body:

Me too ooo. I was different 20 years a go too. I was into ehn. . . , ehn . ., education, politics and many yeye analysis. Now, it is about good things of life (you know what I mean?).
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Busybody2(f): 3:12pm On Dec 04, 2010
ola olabiy:

If e no be Ola, e no fit be Ola, ma.

Just checked, ma, you have been nominated as the best Political Romance/Sexuality Analyst on NL grin grin grin grin.
This is my thread. . . ., this is Ola on NL.

Maybe I should change my name to Olabusy Olabusi Olabisi then, yuk ayanma, it has a nice ring to it, not embarassed

Of course, they had to recognise me as the best. Didn't you also see i was nominated best in 2001/2002/2003/2004/2005/2006/2007/2008/2009 too, oh ok maybe you didn't see that because my modest self told them to keep it secret in order not to oppress nairalanders that I am the most intelligent grin

ola olabiy:

You're right. But, i wouldn't call it a pet peeve.

Mine are 'am' (I am), 'loose' (lose) and 'your' (you're).

Aaaarrrgh, not when 99.9999999999% of nairalanders have their foot permanently stationed in their mouth when this words comes up in threads again, in err . . . the Politics section embarassed - https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-230483.0.html#msg3448686

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-337657.0.html#msg4754409

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-406171.0.html#msg5607161

etcetera, etcetera, etcetera grin

ola olabiy:

I no wan dat league. Nah to dey jolly with women and politicians I prefer.

Intelligentsia? Nahhhh. Make my hair come go grey. Me wey be be Babyface.
Rara ma.

Why not, awww shows you are a modest being like me as i have never told nor boasted to anyone how I am the most intelligent on NL tongue cheesy

ola olabiy:

Me too ooo. I was different 20 years a go too. I was into ehn. . . , ehn . ., education, politics and many yeye analysis. Now, it is about good things of life (you know what I mean?).

Good things like wetin, you mean to say asides from Romance and Dating section oer . . . err . . .sticky keyboards dang . . . err . . . i meant Politics section, of course . . . i fit hook young, nubile men elsewere shocked Chei i don dey miss embarassed Oya hook a Sister up sharo sharp joo cheesy

@topic
Another one I hate is "that means to say" embarassed
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 3:25pm On Dec 04, 2010
Busy_body:

Maybe I should change my name to Olabusy Olabusi Olabisi then, yuk ayanma, it has a nice ring to it, not embarassed

Of course, they had to recognise me as the best. Didn't you also see i was nominated best in 2001/2002/2003/2004/2005/2006/2007/2008/2009 too, oh ok maybe you didn't see that because my modest self told them to keep it secret in order not to oppress nairalanders that I am the most intelligent grin

Aaaarrrgh, not when 99.9999999999% of nairalanders have their foot permanently stationed in their mouth when this words comes up in threads again, in err . . . the Politics section embarassed - https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-230483.0.html#msg3448686

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-337657.0.html#msg4754409

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-406171.0.html#msg5607161

etcetera, etcetera, etcetera grin

Why not, awww shows you are a modest being like me as i have never told nor boasted to anyone how I am the most intelligent on NL tongue cheesy

Good things like wetin, you mean to say asides from Romance and Dating section oer . . . err . . .sticky keyboards dang . . . err . . . i meant Politics section, of course . . . i fit hook young, nubile men elsewere shocked Chei i don dey miss embarassed Oya hook a Sister up sharo sharp joo cheesy

@topic
Another one I hate is "that means to say" embarassed

You no go kill me oooooo, Bisi. LWKMD.
I don forget the section we dey sef.

Ehn, ehn, good things like dating nau. Wetin again?
Me too. Dey try hook beautiful babes for here oo.

Politics section ke, I no dey click am. Dat one na for eggheads and I no wan be one sef.

I dey gbadun you, sha.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 3:26pm On Dec 04, 2010
I go go for scan too ooooooo. I wan no if I have a brain too oo.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 3:46pm On Dec 04, 2010
I am sorry o,Ferdiii, Slap1 and Stevet. Your thread was briefly derailed. Abeg.

I have to hook up with her on our usual Section. Luv her sha. Very funny babe.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by denzel2009: 4:00pm On Dec 04, 2010
Ola mate, hens no dey chop im bro hen's intestines oh. Dont fall for busybody's advances. She's taken!
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 4:17pm On Dec 04, 2010
denzel2009:

Ola mate, hens no dey chop im bro hen's intestines oh. Dont fall for busybody's advances. She's taken!

Bro, e go hard oo. Because she don dey do me yori yori wink wink.

Hen for NL sef dey chop everything. Na Seunland we dey oo.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Busybody2(f): 4:24pm On Dec 04, 2010
ola olabiy:

I am sorry o,Ferdiii, Slap1 and Stevet. Your thread was briefly derailed. Abeg.

Babe don't get yourself worked up over this 3 dudes, next time they come to derail your thread, let me in on it, they are on my radar, ha ha effing rulebreakers, dunno what is so hard to understand in a "Do not derail thread" instruction angry angry grin

ola olabiy:

I have to hook up with her on our usual Section. Luv her sha. Very funny babe.

angry angry angry The dust has not even settled after my departure and he is already talking about hooking up with another babe angry See why i no dey like to toast men, you go take eye talk, take nose talk, take yansh talk sef, dem no go see ya greenlight embarassed Why am I not good enough for him angry Is it because I no know book just because i want to preserve my freshly discovered brain and not use it at all angry Utter discrimination against my olodoness, i am heartbroken, arrant nonsense and jagbajantis angry angry cheesy
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 4:31pm On Dec 04, 2010
Busy_body:

Babe don't get yourself worked up over this 3 dudes, next time they come to derail your thread, let me in on it, they are on my radar, ha ha effing rulebreakers, dunno what is so hard to understand in a "Do not derail thread" instruction angry angry grin

angry angry angry The dust has not even settled after my departure and he is already talking about hooking up with another babe angry See why i no dey like to toast men, you go take eye talk, take nose talk, take yansh talk sef, dem no go see ya greenlight embarassed Why am I not good enough for him angry Is it because I no know book just because i want to preserve my freshly discovered brain and not use it at all angry Utter discrimination against my olodoness, i am heartbroken, arrant nonsense and jagbajantis angry angry cheesy

Bisi, Slap1 will kill me oo. This thread has been derailed. This thread is now travelling on the left-hand side of Yaba.
Nah you be d babe nau (No One - Alicia Keys).

Hey, Odunnu will kill me too.

Haah, Ileke-idi nko?

Chei, there is one more, ehm, ehn, tanimz.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Busybody2(f): 4:33pm On Dec 04, 2010
denzel2009:

If it is not my one and only Delectable Dazzzling Dashing Denzel2009 okunrin meta and half himself, hello sugarplum, fancy seeing you here kiss You would not believe it, you know how I am always only in the Religion section, but i just decided to branch to the Education section to see if i could recruit them younger y'know, hence reason I came here to discuss this with Lecturer Ola, it is the Lord's doing. And guess what darling, He is from Ile Ife, the fountain of knowledge too tongue grin

Oya make we commot for hia before they come and accost us of derailing the thread. I already had to warn off 3 dudes already tongue grin
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 4:40pm On Dec 04, 2010
Busy_body:

If it is not my one and only Delectable Dazzzling Dashing Denzel2009 okunrin meta and half himself, hello sugarplum, fancy seeing you here kiss You would not believe it, you know how I am always only in the Religion section, but i just decided to branch to the Education section to see if i could recruit them younger y'know, hence reason I came here to discuss this with Lecturer Ola, it is the Lord's doing. And guess what darling, He is from Ile Ife, the fountain of knowledge too tongue grin

Oya make we commot for hia before they come and accost us of derailing the thread. I already had to warn off 3 dudes already tongue grin

Una don see my life? Dem don take fine boy collect ma woman. The same with Odunnu.
Just when I thought my line was yielding fruits oo.
NO SHAKING sha.
Odunnu will be back.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by denzel2009: 4:55pm On Dec 04, 2010
Busybody my babymama kiss wink

Ola my paddy, take it easy with yoriyori o.

Poser

I look forward to sleeping on busy_body's bed.
I look forward to sleeping in busy_body's bed.
I look forward to sleep on busy_body's bed.

Which one?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Busybody2(f): 5:19pm On Dec 04, 2010
As your most intelligent and best student who a lot of people look up to, i don't want to join those thread derailers i just helped you chase off, so make i just leave you to continue your lecturing jejely whilst i go and propagate your name all over NL and dazzle them with the knowledge you have been imparting on me cheesy grin cheesy tongue

see me doing you proud here grin you ain't seeing nothing yet tongue
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-560241.32.html#msg7271378

As for that jolos trifling ileke-idi, na me and am go enter same sokoto today angry As if it is my fault ile ife is the fountain of knowledge and Ekiti is just glad to be on the map as a token angry cheesy
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Busybody2(f): 5:27pm On Dec 04, 2010
denzel2009:

Poser

Which one?

But, but, but, i want to retain my size 0 waste and so i thought we already agreed Jennykadri was going to be the incubator to carry the 25 pikin we plan to have, via insermination with a turkey baster of course angry angry cry

Easy peasy, is this a trick question, I could have answered that in my sleep, the correct answer is - I LOOK FORWARD TO SLEEPING WITH BUSY_BODY grin Where else grin grin Chei, I am sooooo brilliant, I should be a genius,nah make that I must be a genius, nah, not good enough, I AM A GENIUS, now thats more like it cool cheesy

@Ola Olabiyi

If you need an Assistant Lecturer, you know where to look tongue
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 5:54pm On Dec 04, 2010
Busy_body:

But, but, but, i want to retain my size 0 waste and so i thought we already agreed Jennykadri was going to be the incubator to carry the 25 pikin we plan to have, via insermination with a turkey baster of course angry angry cry

Easy peasy, is this a trick question, I could have answered that in my sleep, the correct answer is - I LOOK FORWARD TO SLEEPING WITH BUSY_BODY grin Where else grin grin Chei, I am sooooo brilliant, I should be a genius,nah make that I must be a genius, nah, not good enough, I AM A GENIUS, now thats more like it cool cheesy

@Ola Olabiyi

If you need an Assistant Lecturer, you know where to look tongue

denzel2009:

Poser

Which one?

The correct version is ' Ola looks forward to sleeping inside busy_body'. cheesy

This thread has gone to d dogs ooooooo.
Odunnu, plz gba mi now
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 5:55pm On Dec 04, 2010
Seun, please, delete page 27. Abeg.

Busy_body, abeg, let's talk offline.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 5:59pm On Dec 04, 2010
Bisi, you fine welu welu. I likey ur pinshure. Hola me jare. Ori mi ti fonkasibe.

Now, Romance section, abeg.

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (72) (Reply)

Female US Teacher Had Sex With Boy, 13, In Classroom & Even Moved Into His Home / Bnaira: Former UNILAG's Richest Boy (Then Vs Now Photos) / Ilaro Polytechnic Suspends Adegboye Olatunji, SUG President Over Cultism

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.