Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,307 members, 7,940,233 topics. Date: Wednesday, 04 September 2024 at 08:16 PM

ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English - Education (28) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English (107678 Views)

Kids Will Learn ABC This Way, If This Generation Is Not Careful / Some Common Silly Mistakes/errors People Make In English Language. / Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (72) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by slap1(m): 7:17pm On Dec 04, 2010
Please I need a link to this thread: 'ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English', I can't find it. Holla if you come across it.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 7:23pm On Dec 04, 2010
slap1:

Please I need a link to this thread: 'ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English', I can't find it. Holla if you come across it.

Abeg jare. I have been praying to my dear God forgiveness. Ha, she's more than tough.
The thread is still here sha: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-519155.864.html
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 12:08pm On Dec 05, 2010
Please Mr Ola, this Busy body of a thing, is she a clown or she's just trying to be naughty? The other time, you apologised to 3 of us <slap, ferdii and me> for you derailing the thread but she, instead, accused us of been the one derailing the thread! Later now she'll know someone with first class brain or last class brain when she can't even comprehend simple statements. If she is a clown, I'll try not to take her serious but if she's otherwise, we'll go into the same skirt! Nonsense
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 12:30pm On Dec 05, 2010
stevetboy9:

Please Mr Ola, this Busy body of a thing, is she a clown or she's just trying to be naughty? The other time, you apologised to 3 of us <slap, ferdii and me> for you derailing the thread but she, instead, accused us of been the one derailing the thread! Later now she'll know someone with first class brain or last class brain when she can't even comprehend simple statements. If she is a clown, I'll try not to take her serious but if she's otherwise, we'll go into the same skirt! Nonsense

I am sorry, Stevet. I caused it all. I shouldn't have allowed it to degenerate into an e-riotous situation. She's just been funny albeit in an intense way. I'm sure she's a nice woman.
Just let go; let off steam my friend. You are a man and you have to be plucky by blanking comments that are not palatable, especially from a woman. I will let her know your feelings.
I'm sorry, sir.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 12:39pm On Dec 05, 2010
That's very nice of you sir. Thanks
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 12:56pm On Dec 05, 2010
stevetboy9:

That's very nice of you sir. Thanks
Thank you.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Busybody2(f): 11:29am On Dec 06, 2010
ola olabiy:

Abeg jare. I have been praying to my dear God forgiveness. Ha, she's more than tough.
The thread is still here sha: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-519155.864.html

Haba Oluko shocked Why are you making it like I am the first recalcitrant student who would have a hard time paying attention in class to cross your path embarassed You nor even wan attempt to mould me into a model student, you don dey sign my expulsion letter to get me banished, not only just from the class, but the whole School too embarassed I am hurt cry E yi ko da oh cry Ok oh, it is well cry cry tongue

ola olabiy:

I am sorry, Stevet. I caused it all. I shouldn't have allowed it to degenerate into an e-riotous situation. She's just been funny albeit in an intense way. I'm sure she's a nice woman.
Just let go; let off steam my friend. You are a man and you have to be plucky by blanking comments that are not palatable, especially from a woman. I will let her know your feelings.
I'm sorry, sir.

You have your work cut out with this one, surely cheesy

Anyway I am not wanted here so i don carry my portmanteau and 1-2-buckle-my-shoe, dey go, cry And I could have been your best student if you didn't throw in the towel so quickly tongue No hard feelings cry It is goodbye from me cry

To show I am over it and have moved on, can I be allowed to be the bigger person and wave the olive branch at Stevetboy9 the transgendered confused soul who wears a skirt when he is PMS[i]ing[/i] and say/ask err . . .err . . .

stevetboy9:

err . . . err . . . does he want a cookie to go with this post lipsrsealed grin

Goodbye Mr Ola Olabiyina, now you are no longer my teacher and it can't be seen as disrespecting and you can't touch me, I can confidently ask why you still draw your trouser up to your chin with suspenders in this day and age shocked Don't you know the World has moved on and we are now in the 21st century tongue cheesy So long, goodbye, you will be sorely missed cry kiss
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 1:12pm On Dec 06, 2010
Busy_body:

Haba Oluko shocked Why are you making it like I am the first recalcitrant student who would have a hard time paying attention in class to cross your path embarassed You nor even wan attempt to mould me into a model student, you don dey sign my expulsion letter to get me banished, not only just from the class, but the whole School too embarassed I am hurt cry E yi ko da oh cry Ok oh, it is well cry cry tongue

You have your work cut out with this one, surely cheesy

Anyway I am not wanted here so i don carry my portmanteau and 1-2-buckle-my-shoe, dey go, cry And I could have been your best student if you didn't throw in the towel so quickly tongue No hard feelings cry It is goodbye from me cry

To show I am over it and have moved on, can I be allowed to be the bigger person and wave the olive branch at Stevetboy9 the transgendered confused soul who wears a skirt when he is PMS[i]ing[/i] and say/ask err . . .err . . .

err . . . err . . . does he want a cookie to go with this post lipsrsealed grin

Goodbye Mr Ola Olabiyina, now you are no longer my teacher and it can't be seen as disrespecting and you can't touch me, I can confidently ask why you still draw your trouser up to your chin with suspenders in this day and age shocked Don't you know the World has moved on and we are now in the 21st century tongue cheesy So long, goodbye, you will be sorely missed cry kiss

Hey, Dayo.

Ma binu now. Sorry.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 3:41pm On Dec 06, 2010
@BB Eeya sorry o. Stop crying now ha ha ha ha. Busy body= Olofofo Adugbo! Anybody to interprete what she had just writen; she hardly made sense with her post! Mtcheeew
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by tigerpaws(f): 4:20pm On Dec 06, 2010
Is it correct to say "You are welcome" or "You are welcomed"?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by slap1(m): 6:20pm On Dec 06, 2010
stevetboy9:

@BB Eeya sorry o. Stop crying now ha ha ha ha. Busy body= Olofofo Adugbo! Anybody to interprete what she had just writen; she hardly made sense with her post! Mtcheeew
Steve take it easy. You of all people should know how to 'maintain'. The best way to defeat some things you dislike is to ignore them. By the way, I think Busy body was only trying to have fun ( with the wrong person, it now appears), nothing serious.
tigerpaws:

I say "You're welcome". It's used in the present tense. If you tell me "You're welcomed", I'll ask "When?"
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 6:58pm On Dec 06, 2010
tigerpaws:

'Welcome' is a NOUN, a VERB, an EXCLAMATION and an ADJECTIVE. So, it depends on the context.

You are welcome: welcome is an adjective here.

You are welcomed: here, it is a past participle.

What you have in mind is 'thank you', so, use 'you are welcome'.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by tigerpaws(f): 7:10pm On Dec 06, 2010
slap1 & ola olabiy

Thanks for your replies. It's been noted!
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Odunnu: 7:17pm On Dec 06, 2010
A complete lack of humour on both parties.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 7:49pm On Dec 06, 2010
Odunnu, who? @slap, case closed on busy body!

Please, is this statement correct: I used to hawking when I was young?
Also, A gold fish cannot be hidden.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 10:20pm On Dec 06, 2010
Hmmmmmmmm.

'Severally'. What is the meaning of this word?

'Several times'? No. . . .WRONG!

It means 'separately'.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by slap1(m): 10:48pm On Dec 06, 2010
ola olabiy:

Hmmmmmmmm.

'Severally'. What is the meaning of this word?

'Several times'? No. . . .WRONG!

It means 'separately'.
Good one here, thanks.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 12:10am On Dec 07, 2010
slap1:

Good one here, thanks.

The same goes to 'presently' it means very soon and not at the moment. Prove me wrong!
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 12:51am On Dec 07, 2010
ferdiii:

The same goes to 'presently' it means very soon and not at the moment. Prove me wrong!

That was 10 - 15 years ago bro. It now means 'at the moment/now/currently' as well.

Thanks though.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 1:07am On Dec 07, 2010
ferdiii:

In the '90s, it's 'very soon' only. Not anymore

Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 10:05am On Dec 07, 2010
Thanks!
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 11:55am On Dec 08, 2010
POSER
1.What do we say when alighting from a taxi or Okada? I'd like to drop here or get off here?

2.Which one is correct:Vigil/night vigil?

3.Which one is/are correct:Wake keep/Wake keeping/Wakeful night/Wake?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 2:46pm On Dec 08, 2010
Difference between to frame sb [/b]up and [b]to set sb up

I want to believe we misused both and need to unlearn.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by slap1(m): 4:44pm On Dec 08, 2010
ferdiii:

POSER
1.What do we say when alighting from a taxi or Okada? I'd like to drop here or get off here?

2.Which one is correct:Vigil/night vigil?

3.Which one is/are correct:Wake keep/Wake keeping/Wakeful night/Wake?
I use I'd like to stop/get off here. The second one has already been treated here; it's vigil. For the last one, I use to 'keep wake'.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by slap1(m): 4:52pm On Dec 08, 2010
slap1:

I use I'd like to stop/get off here. The second one has already been treated here; it's vigil. For the last one, I use to 'keep wake'.
The noun form is 'wake'.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by slap1(m): 5:21pm On Dec 08, 2010
ferdiii:

Difference between to frame sb [/b]up and [b]to set sb up

I want to believe we misused both and need to unlearn.
Tricky. I think set-up is deadlier than frame-up. Set-up involves tricking some body and/or making it seem like they've done something wrong. Eg. A woman calls you to fix the radio in her bedroom, you enter the bedroom and she tears her cloth and holds you, screaming that you've rap€d her! Frame-up involves producing false evidence to make people believe that a person is guilty of a crime. Eg. A neighbour steals your gun and uses it for murder, the forensic test shows the weapon belongs to you and you're charged for murder. You've been framed-up. The major difference I see here is that set-up establishes a direct link between the act and the accused by having the accused at the crime-scene, while a false evidence implicates the accused in the case of a set-up. The accused may not necessarily be there.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 5:26pm On Dec 08, 2010
slap1:

The noun form is 'wake'.

They are common mistakes and if hammered on repeatedly will help, let it be. It's better to say I'd like to get off here and not here. U a right in others.Thanks.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Busybody2(f): 5:41pm On Dec 08, 2010
Who asked the shombo undecided Dada no sabi fight abi, mschewww, arrant nonsense cool Thanks Slap1, your gesture is greatly appreciated kiss See Tigerpaws feeling funky tryna feel among too cheesy

Sorry Professor Ola Olabiyi, honestly this is seriously my last post on this thread embarassed

[s]I promise never to come back again Sir, unless I mistakenly get lost and wander into this thread again and then you have no choice than to teach me the meaning of the word my last post so I would stop abusing it tongue [/s]
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 6:09pm On Dec 08, 2010
Busy_body:

Who asked the shombo undecided Dada no sabi fight abi, mschewww, arrant nonsense cool Thanks Slap1, your gesture is greatly appreciated kiss See Tigerpaws feeling funky tryna feel among too cheesy

Sorry Professor Ola Olabiyi, honestly this is seriously my last post on this thread embarassed

[s]I promise never to come back again Sir, unless I mistakenly get lost and wander into this thread again and then you have no choice than to teach me the meaning of the word my last post so I would stop abusing it tongue [/s]

Olabiy not Olabiyi.
Still luv ya.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Busybody2(f): 6:39pm On Dec 08, 2010
ola olabiy:

Olabiy not Olabiyi.
Still luv ya.

Whose fault is it that I can't spell again angry Who expelled me barely 2 days after I enrolled tongue

Okay seriously, i'm out, Ferdiii and Slap1, you guys are doing a splendid job here, I sincerely apologise, I am sorry embarassed
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by MaiSuya(m): 11:44am On Dec 09, 2010
DAMNNN!!! 26 pages+. . . how come i didnt know about this thread?

Why the h*ll didn't it make front page? angry angry

hope it's not too late to subscribe??
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by slap1(m): 4:01pm On Dec 09, 2010
Mai Suya:

DAMNNN!!! 26 pages+. . . how come i didnt know about this thread?

Why the h*ll didn't it make front page? angry angry

hope it's not too late to subscribe??

You didn't know about it because you were busy fighting Ojukwu, Emeagwali, GEJ and the rest of my Igbo brothers, lol (joking). However, you can still subscribe by bringing a large bundle of kebab (suya) as subscription fee. Deal?

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (72) (Reply)

Female US Teacher Had Sex With Boy, 13, In Classroom & Even Moved Into His Home / Bnaira: Former UNILAG's Richest Boy (Then Vs Now Photos) / Ilaro Polytechnic Suspends Adegboye Olatunji, SUG President Over Cultism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.