Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,926 members, 7,969,840 topics. Date: Tuesday, 08 October 2024 at 03:04 PM

ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English - Education (31) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English (107950 Views)

Kids Will Learn ABC This Way, If This Generation Is Not Careful / Some Common Silly Mistakes/errors People Make In English Language. / Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) ... (72) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 5:07pm On Dec 23, 2010
You don't want ppl to know that you're Oladapo, right? @Busy Body Adugbo, Mr. Ola didn't send u outta his class! So you are always welcome. Let's fight small before we become friends, what do you see to that, asshole?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 5:14pm On Dec 23, 2010
^^^Haba, Stevet, why this one again?

This is a woman, abi you no no ni.

Haba!
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 8:22pm On Dec 23, 2010
I know naa, BB I'm waiting for you, don't worry after fighting, we'll kiss and hug, ain't that beautiful?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by slap1(m): 9:18pm On Dec 23, 2010
stevetboy9:

You don't want ppl to know that you're Oladapo, right? @Busy Body Adugbo, Mr. Ola didn't send u outta his class! So you are always welcome. Let's fight small before we become friends, what do you see to that, asshole?
ola olabiy:

^^^Haba, Stevet, why this one again?

This is a woman, abi you no no ni.

Haba!
All is fair in 'war' and love, they say. I hope Busy Body sees it that way, though. Her sense of humour is wickedly cool, I like it. Merry Xmas to Prof. Ola and all my 'course-mates'. May we always remember . . .
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 9:49pm On Dec 23, 2010
ola olabiy:

'WELL'.

When a compound adjective begins with 'well', it should be written with no hyphen when used after a VERB.

E.g. She is well informed.

But, when the adjective (compound) comes before a noun, hyphen MUST be used.

E.g. Busybody is a well-informed woman.

Its comparative and superlative forms are 'better' and 'best'.

E.g. My girlfie's the best-dressed woman on Nairaland. smiley wink cheesy shocked

British newpapers and magazines don't apply this Oxford RULE sha.
E.g. The Economist, TheSun and erm. . Evening Standard, I think.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 10:10pm On Dec 23, 2010
slap1:

All is fair in 'war' and love, they say. I hope Busy Body sees it that way, though. Her sense of humour is wickedly cool, I like it. Merry Xmas to Prof. Ola and all my 'course-mates'. May we always remember . . .

Abeg Slap1, no vex. I don't know what to say again.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Busybody2(f): 3:49am On Dec 24, 2010
stevetboy9:

Na wa for this Stevetboy oh, somebody said they don't want people to cotton on to the fact that their name is [size=14pt]Oladapo[/size], and instead of you to let this slide, you went to quote it in your post angry You this olodo upon 30 of a dense dodo, you should be with your ilks in Primary 2, and not be in Primary 5 with us jare angry cheesy

slap1:

You are no longer my best friend so quit trying to sweet talk me joo angry Yoruba you did not let me copy your assignment yesterday nko angry Now all thanks to you, I got zero marks because of you angry tongue

ola olabiy:

OK. No enrolment if u no grace my temple wink wink wink

Odunnu said: you like quarell pass fight.

Chai, I don't understand a word of French Prof Olabiy wrote up here embarassed I bet it is some romantic poem he specially composed for me kiss Translation anyone lipsrsealed tongue [s]Oh why, oh why, oh why, did I lie to the Prof that I am fluent in French embarassed I hope he doesn't find out though embarassed[/s]
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 8:42am On Dec 24, 2010
I'm not in Pri.5 with you BB! I'm your senior! I guess you're just 8yrs old shiorrr. Err, next time, I'll make sure you scope less than 0, maybe -5/20, you this thief thief. Slap, don't borrow (is this the right word?) BB any of ya note, KK? Bon lièz vous
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 8:45am On Dec 24, 2010
Before you attack me, I meant score not scope, OhKay?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olokun(m): 2:54pm On Dec 24, 2010
JAMB FINGER PRINT REGISTRATION @ SHALOM CYBER CAFE, OLORUNSOGO,GERI-ALIMI,JAJA SOCCER PALACE,OPP. METHODIST CHURCH,ILORIN,KWARA STATE.
CALL: 08076420262
500 NAIRA ONLY
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by slap1(m): 9:57am On Dec 25, 2010
MERRY XMAS, EVERYONE! ** Where is Odunnu? Oops! In the kitchen! **

Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 1:02pm On Dec 25, 2010
slap1:

MERRY XMAS, EVERYONE! ** Where is Odunnu? Oops! In the kitchen! **

Odunnu's attending to Ola's needs nau. The gurl sabiiiiiiiiiii.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Odunnu: 7:33pm On Dec 25, 2010
Merry Xmas!
Oh, Slappie the class Rep,thanx for the wishes. Hope you are having fun.
@Prof Ola,why are you sexually molesting me?I'l fall in love with report you o!
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 7:42pm On Dec 25, 2010
^Merry xmas lioness of UNN. BB, merry xmas o! I'll visit you tonight sha. My prof, I hail o! To the rest of the class members, slap and the rest, merry xristmas and happy new year in advance! ~~~~~~~~
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 8:29pm On Dec 25, 2010
stevetboy9:

^Merry xmas lioness of UNN. BB, merry xmas o! I'll visit you tonight sha. My prof, I hail o! To the rest of the class members, slap and the rest, merry xristmas and happy new year in advance! ~~~~~~~~
Odunnu:

Merry Xmas!
Oh, Slappie the class Rep,thanx for the wishes. Hope you are having fun.
@Prof Ola,why are you sexually molesting me?I'l fall in love with report you o!

Merry xmas.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 4:20pm On Dec 27, 2010
Deals Affair helps Nigerians enjoy the best offers, discounts, bonanzas, special promotions and unbeatable prices around them.

Our service helps customers buy smart and save money and businesses use this to attract new customers to their products and services.

Links
www.dealsaffair.com

www.facebook.com/dealsaffair

www.twitter.com/dealsaffair
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 7:51pm On Dec 28, 2010
Did you watch Arsenal-Chelsea match? Did you watch it on Sky Sports channel?

About 10 minutes into the match, the commentator (Martin Tyler?) said:

"Clichy plays the shot with his right foot; not his best foot".

Is this statement correct or incorrect?

Please help.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by oyinda3(f): 7:59pm On Dec 28, 2010
ola olabiy:

Please help.

good question. "best foot" is used so ubiquitously nowadays that I wouldn't consider it to be incorrect.
http://www.dailywritingtips.com/best-foot-forward/
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by oyinda3(f): 8:03pm On Dec 28, 2010
infact it sounds awkward to say better foot. lol
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 8:22pm On Dec 28, 2010
^^^Oyinda, how are you?

Thanks. I'm sure Nlanders have 1 or 2 things to say about this. So, I'm waiting oo.

I am expecting more replies.

What about 'best man' and 'best lady'.

There are myths here and we have to disect so many things. Nlanders, come on. Comments please! smiley

Thought-provoking!
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 8:25pm On Dec 28, 2010
^dissect oo.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 8:38pm On Dec 28, 2010
These ones sound awkward as well:

Funnily enough.

Joking apart.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by AjanleKoko: 10:59am On Dec 30, 2010
Most of these errors are due to the gradual infusion of Pidgin English into everyday spoken English.
I don't think our English teachers are responsible per se. Since Pidgin is heavily into ad-libbing, you find that people will incorporate the same ideas into regular English, creating phrases and words on the fly, or modifying existing words and phrases to convey meaning.

People should separate the two in their minds; pidgin English is different from English.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 11:29am On Dec 30, 2010
^^^

What about influences from mother tongue/first language.

We also have to recognize and promote our version of the language: Nigerian English.

South Africans have their own. Phrases/clauses like[b] 'live large' [/b] and 'large it' are South African.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by slap1(m): 12:00pm On Dec 30, 2010
ola olabiy:

^^^

What about influences from mother tongue/first language.

We also have to recognize and promote our version of the language: Nigerian English.

South Africans have their own. Phrases/clauses like[b] 'live large' [/b] and 'large it' are South African.
That is basically the root of these 'errors'. The way a child speaks is influenced by [what is spoken] his environment.
ola olabiy:

Please help.
"Best foot" clearly SOUNDS correct because it's been in use for a long time. "Better foot", however, IS correct. But it's better to use the former in informal/everyday writing and use the latter in 'hyper'-formal writing. Thanks for that link, I've subscribed 'shaperly'.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 12:25pm On Dec 30, 2010
^^^^
Oyinda explained it as well.

We have to keep this in mind: there are exceptions to language rules.

Thanks.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Odunnu: 5:21pm On Jan 02, 2011
When is lecture starting for the new session
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 2:14am On Jan 03, 2011
^^^^Very soon, darling. Drop that prof thing and let's allow cosy feeling wink. Got it? wink wink

You've refused to say 'Ola'. Say it, darling wink

'Nike' it. . grin Just do it. wink
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by adagz01(m): 8:05pm On Jan 04, 2011
Lecture starts.

"Not to talk of" or "let alone" which is correct prof ola
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by adagz01(m): 8:08pm On Jan 04, 2011
Lecture starts.

"Not to talk of" or "let alone" which is correct prof ola
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 11:56pm On Jan 04, 2011
adagz 01:

Lecture starts.

"Not to talk of" or "let alone" which is correct ola

Odunnu rules. cheesy
cheesy
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by adagz01(m): 7:30am On Jan 05, 2011
^u can say that again,

oya answer the Q, abeg naw

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) ... (72) (Reply)

What Number Comes After Trillion? See The Name Of The World Largest Numbers / Ilaro Polytechnic Suspends Adegboye Olatunji, SUG President Over Cultism / Bnaira: Former UNILAG's Richest Boy (Then Vs Now Photos)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.