Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,293 members, 7,940,156 topics. Date: Wednesday, 04 September 2024 at 06:15 PM

ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English - Education (29) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English (107677 Views)

Kids Will Learn ABC This Way, If This Generation Is Not Careful / Some Common Silly Mistakes/errors People Make In English Language. / Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (72) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by slap1(m): 4:10pm On Dec 09, 2010
^^ . . . And the thread made front page when it was a little over ten pages, I think.WARNING: Peruse your write-up before posting, modification is impossible on this [Education] section.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 4:19pm On Dec 09, 2010
slap1:

You didn't know about it because you were busy fighting Ojukwu, Emeagwali, GEJ and the rest of my Igbo brothers, lol (joking). However, you can still subscribe by bringing a large bundle of kebab (suya) as subscription fee. Deal?

The guy is an internet warrior. smiley smiley smiley

But, I wouldn't mind SUYA oo.

Deal or no deal, Mai Suya?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by MaiSuya(m): 11:22pm On Dec 09, 2010
slap1:

You didn't know about it because you were busy fighting Ojukwu, Emeagwali, GEJ and the rest of my Igbo brothers, lol (joking). However, you can still subscribe by bringing a large bundle of kebab (suya) as subscription fee. Deal?

ONLY ba komai! one bundle coming up!  cheesy

ola olabiy:

The guy is an internet warrior. smiley smiley smiley

But, I wouldn't mind SUYA oo.

Deal or no deal, Mai Suya?

DEAL!!!

soooo, when does the next lecture begin?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 11:32pm On Dec 09, 2010
Mai Suya:

DEAL!!!

soooo, when does the next lecture begin?

You decide!
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 2:08am On Dec 10, 2010
Busy body ee, busy body ooo <singing p-square's busy body>. She can't do it, 'I won't post on this thread again' MY FOOT! Let's see if she doesn't come back after awhile. He he he he he shioooor.

Sorry guys for derailing. @Mai suya, I won't mind some deal of suya too o!
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by KolaSalam(m): 11:19am On Dec 11, 2010
It is fantastic to know such an educative avenue exists in Nairaland. Keep it up.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by morgan22: 3:11pm On Dec 11, 2010
TOAST ? mmmmmmmmmmmmm i doubt
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 9:16pm On Dec 12, 2010
'life' and 'for life'.
Please note:

'Life' is a correct expression when it relates to 'PERIOD OF TIME'. Or 'between birth and death'.
E.g. She's been sent to prison for life. This is correct.

Also, 'job for life'.

But, 'for life' is not an IDIOM.

'For good', however, is an IDIOM.

Apologies for ambiguities.

My fault.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 9:21pm On Dec 12, 2010
Headquarters.

This word can be used with singular/plural verbs.

E.g. Is/Are, Have/Has.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 9:36pm On Dec 12, 2010
FIFA.

In Britain, most media organisations now use plural verbs along with 'FIFA'.

In fact, they have stopped writing it in capital letters.

In reports, they normally write 'Fifa' not 'FIFA'. E.g. Fifa have.

Also, they say: The governing body have.

I am not talkng about red-top papers known for yellow journalism but established, 'hard-sell' ones.

I am still working on this (i.e. 'Fifa') and I will soon let you know why.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 10:36pm On Dec 12, 2010
POSER.

You had better stop her.

You better stop her.

What is the difference, please?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Syed2011: 7:27am On Dec 13, 2010
I learn many new things here, Thank you all.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by MaiSuya(m): 11:26am On Dec 13, 2010
Ahhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy  back at last. You're highly welcome(d) SIR!

I had been taking my time going through all the previous pages. . .trust me this thread is loaded. . .and to think I've only made to page 10!  embarassed

ola olabiy:

FIFA.

In Britain, most media organisations now use plural verbs along with 'FIFA'.

In fact, they have stopped writing it in capital letters.

In reports, they normally write 'Fifa' not 'FIFA'. E.g. Fifa have.

Also, they say: The governing body have.

I am not talkng about red-top papers known for yellow journalism but established, 'hard-sell' ones.

I am still working on this (i.e. 'Fifa') and I will soon let you know why.

Is it all cases? I had taught that FIFA, like most collective nouns, can either use a singular or plural verb, depending on the context. If taken to mean separate members, a plural verb should be used. But if taken as a single unit, then a singular verb ought to be used.

I would be grateful if you could clarify the above.

ola olabiy:

POSER.

You had better stop her.

You better stop her.

What is the difference, please?

Hmmm. . .let me give it try:

You had better stop her. I think this is more of a command, one that suggests a negative outcome should it go unheeded. More like a threat.

You better stop her. This is a simple advise.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 2:09pm On Dec 13, 2010
Mai Suya:

Ahhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy back at last. You're highly welcome(d) SIR!

I had been taking my time going through all the previous pages. . .trust me this thread is loaded. . .and to think I've only made to page 10! embarassed

Is it all cases? I had taught that FIFA, like most collective nouns, can either use a singular or plural verb, depending on the context. If taken to mean separate members, a plural verb should be used. But if taken as a single unit, then a singular verb ought to be used.

I would be grateful if you could clarify the above.

Hmmm. . .let me give it try:

You had better stop her. I think this is more of a command, one that suggests a negative outcome should it go unheeded. More like a threat.

You better stop her. This is a simple advise.

Thanks, Mai Suya.
Yeah! I understand the noun part of it. But, why 'Fifa' instead of 'FIFA'.?
It's similar to writing 'Un' instead of 'UN'.

I'll be back sha.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 4:04pm On Dec 13, 2010
^^^
wink wink wink
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Fhijimos(m): 6:48pm On Dec 13, 2010
I have succesfully studied through this thread and i want to thank everyone especially the OP for great job he is doing here.
Please ola baba permit me to join this educating thread.

Thanks!
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Fhijimos(m): 11:02am On Dec 14, 2010
Please which one is correct?

*over and again
or

*over and over again.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 3:52pm On Dec 14, 2010
Fhijimos:

Please which one is correct?

*over and again
or

*over and over again.
'Over and over again' is the correct form. It means 'again and again'. Just a phrase!
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Wayne4uall(m): 12:03pm On Dec 15, 2010
i send u a gift yesterday did u see it or i sent u a gift yesterday did u saw it, pls which one is the correct sentence
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by slap1(m): 1:14pm On Dec 15, 2010
^^ I sent you a gift yesterday, did you see it?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 3:20pm On Dec 15, 2010
^^^^
Thanks, Slap1.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 3:29pm On Dec 15, 2010
'WELL'.

When a compound adjective begins with 'well', it should be written with no hyphen when used after a VERB.

E.g. She is well informed.

But, when the adjective (compound) comes before a noun, hyphen MUST be used.

E.g. Busybody is a well-informed woman.

Its comparative and superlative forms are 'better' and 'best'.

E.g. My girlfie's the best-dressed woman on Nairaland. smiley wink cheesy shocked
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 6:16pm On Dec 15, 2010
^^^
Even though I disagree , I have to agree. cool cool cool

I will post the reason why. wink
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 11:30pm On Dec 15, 2010
well

Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Busybody2(f): 4:24am On Dec 16, 2010
They cannot kuku accuse me of deraining because all I am doing is just passing by and wishing everyone a Merry and Joyous Christmas day, and to also extend my gratitude to my favourite Professor Olabusuyi Olaniyi Olabiyi arrgghhh, it is not my fault I cannot spell so until I find a School willing to enrol me, Professor Whacchumacallit would have to put up with me mangling his name tongue
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by MaiSuya(m): 11:02am On Dec 16, 2010
ola olabiy:

'WELL'.

When a compound adjective begins with 'well', it should be written with no hyphen when used after a VERB.

E.g. She is well informed.

But, when the adjective (compound) comes before a noun, hyphen MUST be used.

E.g. Busybody is a well-informed woman.

Its comparative and superlative forms are 'better' and 'best'.

E.g. My girlfie's the best-dressed woman on Nairaland. smiley wink cheesy shocked

thanks very much for this. keep it up.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 11:17am On Dec 16, 2010
Thought someone earlier wrote that she won't visit this thread again; whatever happened to keeping to one's words?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 12:45pm On Dec 16, 2010
Busy_body:

They cannot kuku accuse me of deraining because all I am doing is just passing by and wishing everyone a Merry and Joyous Christmas day, and to also extend my gratitude to my favourite Professor Olabusuyi Olaniyi Olabiyi arrgghhh, it is not my fault I cannot spell so until I find a School willing to enrol me, Professor Whacchumacallit would have to put up with me mangling his name tongue

Dayo babie. How are you? wink wink
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Harmvirus(f): 9:25pm On Dec 18, 2010
Do you know that
a group of owls is known as parliament.
A group of ravens is known as an unkindness
a group of crows is known as murder.
A group of larks is known as exaltation.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Harmvirus(f): 9:26pm On Dec 18, 2010
Do you know that
a group of owls is known as parliament.
A group of ravens is known as an unkindness
a group of crows is known as murder.
A group of larks is known as exaltation.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 2:20pm On Dec 19, 2010
^^^^^
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 3:35pm On Dec 19, 2010
Open the floor.
Take the floor.

Incorrect: They are waiting for GEJ to open the floor with Madam Due Process( ) before other FEC members.

Correct: They are waiting for GEJ to take the floor with Madam Due Process before other FEC members.

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (72) (Reply)

Female US Teacher Had Sex With Boy, 13, In Classroom & Even Moved Into His Home / Bnaira: Former UNILAG's Richest Boy (Then Vs Now Photos) / Ilaro Polytechnic Suspends Adegboye Olatunji, SUG President Over Cultism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.